Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #151
SportsDino
College Prospect

As one of those pansies who coughs at the slightest hint of smoke, and wants to kill whoever invented those 'sweet' smelling cigar/whatevers... this is not something that should be a law. I'll be first to line up for the non-smoking bar/restaurant in town, and all that jazz, but if you ask me a bar should be able to say "yep its smoking here" (no tax/license nonsense either). Assuming they do not sell the stuff, they should be allowed to be neutral (there are laws against underage purchase, so maybe they should have licenses for that which they probably already do).

People need to start exercising their economic muscles. If you don't like smoke in a bar, make a non-smoking bar, only frequent non-smoking bars, create a damn market for non-smoking bars and demand establishments follow your unreasonable preferences if they want your dollars. Quit being whiny sheep damn nabbit!

If they want to make regulations, they should have some form of official announcement mechanism that its a smoking bar (like you have to state it, and post it somewhere visible)... and make it a part of the employment process for those establishments (i.e. you sign a I'm okay with working in a smoking environment). Make the default non-smoking, so places need to put up signs and such to indicate they are smoking.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #152
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

could just outlaw tobacco

*shrugs*
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #153
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

*shrugs*

Sure, like that would work......
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #154
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

90%...there is a difference between a society with only yes and no and a society with a mix
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #155
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

*shrugs*

Yes of course, Banning things makes it all work SO much better.

*knocks on DT's head* Hello? BEULLLER....anyone? anyone?

Lets roll back the ol' "freedom of *whatever* ideas, DT has the ultimate solution. If someone dislikes something BAN IT!

Its the 21st century, we should be WAY beyond that idea by now.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #156
Izulde
Head Coach

Actually, in some perverse way, I like the idea of smokeasies.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #157
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I smoke and frankly, I'd have no problem with high regulations on where I can smoke.

Frankly, the last thing I want to do when enjoying said smoke is to have some non-smoker there yappin' at me. Even moreso if said non-smoker is like anti-smoking.

I typically go out of my way to not smoke in a situation where it may bother someone.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #158
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

When I was a smoker I went out of my way to accomodate non smokers, even in bars. Until they started sermonizing or being rude about it. Then all bets were off. Smoke rings in thier kisser.

Now the smell disgusts me(been only 6 months) but still crave them something fierce. But I will not under any circumstance tell someone to move or get out of my face because they smoke.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #159
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Now the smell disgusts me(been only 6 months) but still crave them something fierce. But I will not under any circumstance tell someone to move or get out of my face because they smoke.

I'm fair rare as ex-smokers go, I LOVE the smell of smoke ... if a strange 6'5'' english man starts sniffing around you when you're smoking, don't panic ... its just me enjoying the second hand fumes
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #160
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Yeah, a snotty attitude about the smoking is guaranteed to be met with more smoke from me, that's for sure.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #161
Sgran
High School Varsity

It's an interesting debate, and I'm still not sold on either side. On a personal level I'm thrilled that bars are smokeless, but I also see the argument that it's a push down the slippery slope of increased government interference in private affairs (i.e. telling a business owner to ban an otherwise legal activity). I'm stretching to find parallels. How about shooting a gun? Should it be legal to discharge a legal firearm in a bar as long as you don't hit anyone? What if there's a big sign outside that says "WARNING: SHOOTING RANGE"? Not a perfect comparison, I know, but both involve accepted risks. How about banning pets? A dog could run up and bite me. How about shouting? You could impair my hearing over time.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #162
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
What if there's a big sign outside that says "WARNING: SHOOTING RANGE"?

A: That bar would be on the 11 pm news every night.
B: Greatest redneck bar ever!!!
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #163
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
A: That bar would be on the 11 pm news every night.
B: Greatest redneck bar ever!!!

It would rival this place

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #164
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
It's an interesting debate, and I'm still not sold on either side. On a personal level I'm thrilled that bars are smokeless, but I also see the argument that it's a push down the slippery slope of increased government interference in private affairs (i.e. telling a business owner to ban an otherwise legal activity).

The government bans business owners from engaging in dozens upon dozens of "otherwise legal acitivies."

There is nothing illegal about serving rotted meat. I could invite you to my home and serve you three day old pork roast. A restaurant cannot.

Unless you have a liquor license, you, as a business owner, are banned from selling alcohol to anyone, regardless of age.

There are dozens of health code standards that ban restaurants from engaging in otherwise perfectly legal activities in the areas where they prepare food.

The government already bans smoking in airplanes and hospitals, even ones that are privately owned.

There are laws restricting the number of hours physicians can work.

Zoning laws place restrictions on what you can do with your private property. If you open a store as "Business X", despite the fact that you own the land and property, you may be restricted from changing to "Business Y", even if that business is otherwise legal.

There are safety standards for factories that restrict otherwise legal activity, because it may harm the workers in the plant or may lead to a contaminated product.

The fact of the matter is that are many restrictions placed upon business owners. Most of these are in place to protect the health and safetly of that business' employees and customers, which is exactly the aim of anti-smoking laws.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-10-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #165
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

HB nailed it again.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote