Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #151
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Why? It's all make-believe anyway, right? So, you infer you're going to a place that doesn't exist. What's the big deal?

Power.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #152
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I have trouble respecting a God who tries to gain followers through fear. I'd have an easier time with one who says "Come with me if you'd like to" than one who says "Come with me or else".

I'm just the opposite. I'd rather have a God who gains followers through terror and fear than peace and love; at least that's more believable.

What would be more realistic? A truly omnipotent being who needs followers to love him for some inexplicable reason or a truly omnipotent being who wants followers to fear him so he can rule over their lives?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #153
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
Power.

I'm sorry - you'll have to help me out on this one - not sure I get what you're driving at.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #154
JediKooter
Coordinator

Ok, is there some sort of mandatory black out period or something when someone has just been saved?

I sure would like to see tarcone at least make a comment or two regarding some of the questions he was asked. Otherwise, now it's just starting seem like a drive by prothlesizing.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #155
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I'm just the opposite. I'd rather have a God who gains followers through terror and fear than peace and love; at least that's more believable.

What would be more realistic? A truly omnipotent being who needs followers to love him for some inexplicable reason or a truly omnipotent being who wants followers to fear him so he can rule over their lives?

Old Testament fan?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #156
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post

I'd like a God that hands out cash, but that's not the way it is.

You have to understand where I'm coming from - God is THE supreme being who created everything.

So, we're asking the Creator of all things to bend to what OUR perception of a worthy God is so that WE will believe in Him?
how do you know?

Old 01-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #157
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Thats not entirely a workable analogy though RM. Biology and Philoshophy have very little in common.

The Bible discusses a lot of Biology from the age of the Earth, to the Sun, to how long the planet took to be created.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #158
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

You have to understand where I'm coming from - God is THE supreme being who created everything.

So, we're asking the Creator of all things to bend to what OUR perception of a worthy God is so that WE will believe in Him?

Who created him?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #159
RainMaker
General Manager

The one thing I never understood about "being saved" was the idea that God cared. I mean he has this enormous Universe he created which we are hardly a speck of dust on. He spent billions of years just fucking around with sludge, then various life forms. Finally he creates apes for awhile, but got bored and decided that he would morph us into what we are today over the course of a few million years.

After all this, are we really to believe that he cares about the day to day happenings of individuals? Seems a tad narcissistic to believe that with all these things on his plate, he's concerned about whether you got laid or had a beer last night.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #160
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Who created him?

When did time begin? When will it end?

A lot of questions just don't make sense.
how do you know?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #161
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Some would argue we already do that .
Old 01-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #162
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Well, the part that always gets my hackles up about conversations/threads like this are statements where people basically tell me I'm going to hell.

That kind of stuff makes my blood boil.

I don't think he meant to be provocative. I think, in balance, his post is about his life taking a profound turn for the better. It's a joyful post, not a wrathful or condemning post.

When he typed "I hope you guys find Jesus," in my mind it had about as much malice as somebody saying, "I hope you guys listen to the new Los Campesinos album. It's amazing."

I suppose you could focus in on that one point, but I don't think that's REALLY his point.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #163
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Some would argue we already do that .

/agreed
how do you know?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #164
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

According to the Bible, 6000 years ago was when things began. For when it will end, there are a lot of different answers to that in the Bible. Guess you just have to pick whichever contradiction you think is best.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #165
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

That's because most of us see time as a linear progression of cause and effect. Actually time is more like a big ball. A big ball of timey-wimey wibbly-wobbly...stuff.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #166
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Well, good thing we have had Einstein, Newton, Salk and a host of others that tried to answer those difficult questions.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #167
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Well, good thing we have had Einstein, Newton, Salk and a host of others that tried to answer those difficult questions.

Absolutely, and I think it would be cool if those questions are someday answered.
how do you know?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #168
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
I'm sorry - you'll have to help me out on this one - not sure I get what you're driving at.

As you suggest, in the religious context, a non-Christian shouldn't care if a Christian tells him/her that they're going to hell, since according to that non-believer, hell shouldn't actually exist.

But, as mentioned in an earlier post, religion is also a manifestation of the worldly. In the case of the USA, Christianity is the dominant religion. Though the strict secular nature of the country's governance is generally accepted, the respect accorded to the secular state varies from region to region. There is a small but significant number of Christians who channel their beliefs/ideologies into political action in ways that seem threatening to the secular state. They have every right to be politically active, but that activity can be considered threatening by some secularists.

What Tarcone said was probably innocent, and I am glad that he's doing what he needs to do. But, in the context of the type of power-relations in some parts of the country where non-religious folks have traditionally and constantly had to accept what they have to accept from the majority (from the mundane "playing along to get along" situations like participating in grace before meals instead of raising a stink, to the more significant reintroduction of creationism of some form in science curricula to name a few examples), I also do understand why a non-believer can get upset at Tarcone's comments.

Last edited by Klinglerware : 01-26-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #169
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
As you suggest, in the religious context, a non-Christian shouldn't care if a Christian tells him/her that they're going to hell, since according to that non-believer, hell shouldn't actually exist.

But, as mentioned in an earlier post, religion is also a manifestation of the worldly. In the case of the USA, Christianity is the dominant religion. Though the strict secular nature of the country's governance is generally accepted, the respect accorded to the secular state varies from region to region. There is a small but significant number of Christians who channel their beliefs/ideologies into political action in ways that seem threatening to the secular state. They have every right to be politically active, but that activity can be considered threatening by some secularists.

What Tarcone said was probably innocent, and I am glad that he's doing what he needs to do. But, in the context of the type of power-relations in some parts of the country where non-religious folks have traditionally had to accept what they have to accept from the majority (creationism of some form in science curricula to name one example), I also do understand why a non-believer can get upset at Tarcone's comments.

I can understand this, though it's certainly a two-way street. As a Christian I certainly feel threatened by the secularists and their political activity (and, just like Christians, they have every right to this activity).

I've noticed that a lot of the barbs directed at me are science related, and I have no problem with that. I believe there are a lot of things we just don't understand at this time.

Regarding schools, I have no problem with them offering a curriculum based on science as we know it. It's our best guess - so be it.
how do you know?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #170
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
I can understand this, though it's certainly a two-way street. As a Christian I certainly feel threatened by the secularists and their political activity (and, just like Christians, they have every right to this activity).

I've noticed that a lot of the barbs directed at me are science related, and I have no problem with that. I believe there are a lot of things we just don't understand at this time.

Regarding schools, I have no problem with them offering a curriculum based on science as we know it. It's our best guess - so be it.

I agree with you--everyone has the right to leverage their political power, exercise their free speech, etc. I just wanted to point out how they may be perceived by those on the other size (and as you mention perception is a two-way street).

Last edited by Klinglerware : 01-26-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #171
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Firstly, I'm a non-christian. I don't believe that Christ is my savior, and the bible is nothing more than fiction/propaganda, IMO. I lean toward scientific theory to make sense of most of life's questions.

There are a lot of things that can be explained by scientic theory. But there a lot of things that cannot. Tarcone is being thrashed relentlessly for his beliefs in christian theories, but the thrashers are acting just as preachy as he was. His "hell" comment is subjective and wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. Maybe he meant the hell that was his former life. He never said that we're all gonna burn. I've seen some of you folks trampling all over him and criticizing his new-found stength. It doesn't matter why, or how...the guy has turned his life around.

A lot of the scientific juggernauts have rather large holes in thier theories, as does the bible. Darwin's theories have been called into question lately, what with the weird bugs and their non Darwinistic form of evolution.

The truth is, that none of us will evr truely "know." We'll cling to beliefs and theories to try and make sense of it all, but "it all" is far too complex for our human minds to every fully comprehend. Cut the guy some slack and be happy that there's one less reprobate in the world. As I said, I don't think it matters why. He's changed and that's good.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #172
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
That is completely and uncategorically wrong. And insulting to boot.

When a christian tells someone that they are going to hell, what they are saying is this: "I am right, and you are wrong, and because of your shortcomings/ignorance you deserve to be punished for all of eternity."

It is a staggeringly opinionated, judgmental, and arrogant statement. To believe that their god - or Jesus - or whatever - is the only real god and all others are false, and whose followers will suffer? It is hypocrisy at its worst.

At the point tarcone said he wished everyone would believe exactly like him or suffer the alternative, he stopped being just happy for himself and instead judged all of us.

I'll stop here before I earn myself a vacation as well...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #173
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The one thing I never understood about "being saved" was the idea that God cared.

Another way of asking that question might be: Why do believers care about converting non-believers?

Granted a lot would say to share the love and joy they have. But the psychological aspect also cannot be ignored. Getting people to share your belief in the unbelievable makes it less unbelievable.

What if I live the same lifestyle as tarcone except i do not believe, I do not act out of a fear or love of the eternal. Would that life lead be considered any less spiritual or worthy of rewards? What if religion was just a means for something bigger, and now we have other means to achieve the same thing, without so much damage? Shouldn't we let go of religions?
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #174
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

What is threatening to you from secularists? It seems that the secularists want everyone to just do what they want and Christians want to control what other can do.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #175
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

Ha ha, it seems that an atheist just got insulted by another atheist (okay, I'm really an agnostic, leaning towards atheism).

I stand by my statement. If I don't believe in god, why should I care what Christians or anybody else says about god? But what does matter is how the dominant religion can impact my day to day life--sometimes it doesn't at all, sometimes it matters a great deal.

An additional edit to add: the differences in opinions we have probably stem from the differences between atheists and agnostics. I remember someone telling me some time ago that agnostics were the most arrogant of them all, since they are "too above it all to even bother defining their beliefs". I generally disagree with this, but I do understand the perception...

Last edited by Klinglerware : 01-26-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #176
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

When a christian tells someone that they are going to hell, what they are saying is this: "I am right, and you are wrong, and because of your shortcomings/ignorance you deserve to be punished for all of eternity."

It is a staggeringly opinionated, judgmental, and arrogant statement. To believe that their god - or Jesus - or whatever - is the only real god and all others are false, and whose followers will suffer? It is hypocrisy at its worst.

At the point tarcone said he wished everyone would believe exactly like him or suffer the alternative, he stopped being just happy for himself and instead judged all of us.

I'll stop here before I earn myself a vacation as well...

1. I never said that "because of your shortcomings or ignorance you deserve to be punished for all eternity." I'm just saying what the Bible says. The Bible says we all have shortcomings and the only way to get "right" with God is by faith in Jesus. Do I think you serve to be punished for all eternity? I can't make that judgment.

2. The height of arrogance: we all have our beliefs. To not believe is a belief as well.
how do you know?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #177
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Another way of asking that question might be: Why do believers care about converting non-believers?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #178
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yes - I get Christian bonus bucks if I sign-up 5 FOFC members! Who wants a membership form?!
how do you know?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #179
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Pat Robertson is worth hundreds of millions. Lives on a mountain in a mansion with a private air strip. But he's really just in it for the salvation.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #180
bignej
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAFTjunkie View Post
A lot of the scientific juggernauts have rather large holes in thier theories, as does the bible. Darwin's theories have been called into question lately, what with the weird bugs and their non Darwinistic form of evolution.

I saw the article you are referring to with the helmet fly's or whatever. This doesn't actually contradict the theory of evolution as much as it helps validate another theory(cant remember the name).

I will also say that its not very fair to compare a scientific theory supported by evidence and tested to a book that is essentially a hole with very few real world references that make people think its a textbook. The bible is nothing but stories that give promises of rainbows, puppies and sunshine. All vague promises. This morning I saw a billboard that said, "He is the Answer". What the hell does that mean? Its like a damn horoscope.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #181
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Otherwise, now it's just starting seem like a drive by prothlesizing.

I'd laugh if in the end, we find out that Tarcone's post was just a troll attempt. Hey, watch what happens when I post that I've been saved.

If that happens, then Goat's comment will probably be shared by a few people.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #182
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post

Granted a lot would say to share the love and joy they have. But the psychological aspect also cannot be ignored. Getting people to share your belief in the unbelievable makes it less unbelievable.

What if I live the same lifestyle as tarcone except i do not believe, I do not act out of a fear or love of the eternal. Would that life lead be considered any less spiritual or worthy of rewards? What if religion was just a means for something bigger, and now we have other means to achieve the same thing, without so much damage? Shouldn't we let go of religions?

I already addressed this earlier in the thread (I think, anyway). But, bear with me here - let's just say for a second that I'm right. So...in my heart I know the one way to get to heaven is to believe in Jesus Christ, and Christ himself states that he's the only way. So, I believe in a heaven and a hell - and I have friends and family that I love dearly...wouldn't it behoove me to tell them about God/Jesus?

While it's hard to believe for the non-believer (hey, there MUST be some ulterior motive - money! power!), sometimes it's as simple as that.

Mind you, this is all with the caveat I spoke of earlier (probably on page 1 or 2) about man and humanity. Once you add man to the equation, there is the potential for all kind of garbage to occur. However, the message behind it still remains.
how do you know?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #183
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
No, what God is saying is, "Believe in this book, even though its contents go against nearly every widely regarded scientific fact known to man. If you don't believe it you will go to Hell."

To put a more human front on things ... most Christians believe in a loving 'fatherly' God and ascribe fatherlike characteristics to him with us as his children.

The idea is that he welcomes us with open arms back into the church family, however it appears there is a point at which our hearts harden to him and he accepts that we will never accept him, effectively turning our backs on us forever.

This is what many churches believe is 'Hell' - that is dying without knowing God and thus being condemned to never know him, its not a fire and brimstone place - more a self chosen prison without your heavenly father.

(personally I have a hard time ascribing fatherly aspects to an omnipotent diety who has regularly done such things as 'wipe out nearly all life on the planet in a flood' as part of his ocassional daily routine )

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 01-26-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #184
bignej
High School JV

Quote:
1. I never said that "because of your shortcomings or ignorance you deserve to be punished for all eternity." I'm just saying what the Bible says. The Bible says we all have shortcomings and the only way to get "right" with God is by faith in Jesus. Do I think you serve to be punished for all eternity? I can't make that judgment.

2. The height of arrogance: we all have our beliefs. To not believe is a belief as well.

To not believe is to admit ignorance. Its not the same thing. Its not a belief. Religions use convenient answers. Why is the sky blue? God did it. Why did all those people die in the hurricane? God has a plan. Why can't I masturbate? Its selfish and sinful. Atheists and agnostics choose to just wait for the answers and realize that its OK to not know.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #185
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Pat Robertson is worth hundreds of millions. Lives on a mountain in a mansion with a private air strip. But he's really just in it for the salvation.

And your point is? We could also list CEOs from charities that siphon funds, or, heaven forbid, politicians that accept kickbacks. I already said that we're all human - we're all greedy, we're all selfish to a degree, we all have our faults. Pat Robertson's no better than me or you (and I'm sure a lot would say he's worse than us, but who are we to judge, right?).
how do you know?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #186
bignej
High School JV

I meant to add to that last post is basically there are 2 different kinds of people. Those that have have an answer and those that don't. Those that don't may or may not research them but they don't need some lame explanation to call it a day.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #187
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

this is wrong.

To not believe is by definition, to question. it is not a belief in and of itself.

True and pure Atheism is indeed a belief, the belief that there is NO god or high power in the universe.

But simply not believing is ont a belief system, its a position floating amongst all the belief systems.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #188
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yes - I get Christian bonus bucks if I sign-up 5 FOFC members! Who wants a membership form?!

Yeah, I was talking more about leadership of the church.

My dad's church meets in homes. While I'm not a member and think they have a few kooky things, I always respect that they don't baptize until adulthood and don't beg for money every turn.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #189
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
According to some late night cable TV I've seen while working there is one out there ..

Apparently he's the God of the bible but appears to be available only via. subscription and regular payments to specific ministries
Old 01-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #190
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I'd laugh if in the end, we find out that Tarcone's post was just a troll attempt. Hey, watch what happens when I post that I've been saved.

If that happens, then Goat's comment will probably be shared by a few people.

I'm begining to think that's what it is.

If so, then would Goat be unboxed????

Old 01-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #191
bignej
High School JV

Quote:
True and pure Atheism is indeed a belief, the belief that there is NO god or high power in the universe.

Not true. Denying God exists based on observations isn't a belief. Atheism isn't a religion where people blindly accept no God exists. Just like Catholics and protestants are all Christians. Anyone who doesn't believe in a theistic God IS an atheist. The includes all you agnostics. Atheists is not a closed minded system. If God shows his face tomorrow I assure you I will no longer be an atheist.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #192
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
And your point is? We could also list CEOs from charities that siphon funds, or, heaven forbid, politicians that accept kickbacks. I already said that we're all human - we're all greedy, we're all selfish to a degree, we all have our faults. Pat Robertson's no better than me or you (and I'm sure a lot would say he's worse than us, but who are we to judge, right?).

That's not true. The average CEO for a non-profit makes $150k. They aren't living in huge mansions and flying private planes on to their property.

Robertson is a shitstain to the highest degree. Goes on TV begging people for cash to help the poor while he sits on a pile of dough. He pushes pseudo-science into the schools and discrimination in society.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #193
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's not true. The average CEO for a non-profit makes $150k. They aren't living in huge mansions and flying private planes on to their property.

Robertson is a shitstain to the highest degree. Goes on TV begging people for cash to help the poor while he sits on a pile of dough. He pushes pseudo-science into the schools and discrimination in society.

I'd venture to say the average pastor doesn't make that much money either.

But really, I'm not defending him nor am I a fan of his.
how do you know?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #194
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
After all this, are we really to believe that he cares about the day to day happenings of individuals? Seems a tad narcissistic to believe that with all these things on his plate, he's concerned about whether you got laid or had a beer last night.

One reason I don't believe in a 'personal' God rather than one who made us, gave us freewill and let us get on with things is simply the following -

Two sports teams, both full of christians who prayed for victory before the match - why does one team win, the other lose (similarly I remember reading reports on the shock of English troops during World War One when they realised that the German soldiers weren't baby eating humans but were also Christians who believed that God was on their side).

Only one set of prayers can be answered obviously and expecting both to be answered just isn't practical/possible - yet we have sportsmen and women frequently thanking God for their achievements ... yes we get it God created us all, but its your dedication and perseverance which gave you victory - promote that.

It should be a victory for mankind and used to inspire others to also try hard at what they do imho rather than just offer prayers up to God and expect him to do the hard work ...

If people didn't truly fall for the pray and it'll all be ok, you wouldn't get half as many Cable Preachers asking people to send in their $14.99 for their latest instructions on salvation/finding success/spouse/whatever.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #195
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Not to be pedantic but you already have made that judgement - you decided the bible is correct, therefore you've decided that everyone who doesn't believe in it is unsaved ...

(personally I have my own faith and really couldn't care less what anyone else believes will happen to me - each person will recieve their own judgement and I'm content in recieving what is mine and fully expect to have a few choice words with God once I get there ... not least that next time I want a d**n instruction manual rather than having to make things up as I go along )
Old 01-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #196
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
One reason I don't believe in a 'personal' God rather than one who made us, gave us freewill and let us get on with things is simply the following -

Two sports teams, both full of christians who prayed for victory before the match - why does one team win, the other lose (similarly I remember reading reports on the shock of English troops during World War One when they realised that the German soldiers weren't baby eating humans but were also Christians who believed that God was on their side).

Only one set of prayers can be answered obviously and expecting both to be answered just isn't practical/possible - yet we have sportsmen and women frequently thanking God for their achievements ... yes we get it God created us all, but its your dedication and perseverance which gave you victory - promote that.

It should be a victory for mankind and used to inspire others to also try hard at what they do imho rather than just offer prayers up to God and expect him to do the hard work ...

If people didn't truly fall for the pray and it'll all be ok, you wouldn't get half as many Cable Preachers asking people to send in their $14.99 for their latest instructions on salvation/finding success/spouse/whatever.

Same can be said for a lot of events. Why does a sweet little girl get taken, molested, and buried alive in a sexual predators front yard? God can "save" people, but not her? Why don't we ever hear answers for this when it comes to God?

It's why I was pissed to hear all the "Miracle on the Hudson" talk last week. It wasn't a miracle, it was a kickass pilot. If he had crashed the plane, would God have been responsible? Or does he only get credit for the stuff that goes right?

None of it makes sense.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #197
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thats why God works in mysterious ways
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #198
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignej View Post
Not true. Denying God exists based on observations isn't a belief. Atheism isn't a religion where people blindly accept no God exists. Just like Catholics and protestants are all Christians. Anyone who doesn't believe in a theistic God IS an atheist. The includes all you agnostics. Atheists is not a closed minded system. If God shows his face tomorrow I assure you I will no longer be an atheist.

We're not talking about what is a religion, we're talking about having a "belief" Atheism IS a belief system.

Atheism is not a religion, nor a dogma, but it IS a belief. Atheists choose to "believe" there is no theistic god.

You can't just total up religious followers on one side and everyone else on the other, thats not how it works.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #199
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
this is wrong.

To not believe is by definition, to question. it is not a belief in and of itself.

But simply not believing is ont a belief system, its a position floating amongst all the belief systems.
well put, sir.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #200
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Thats why God works in mysterious ways

Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote