Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #151
kcchief19
Pro Starter

There is nothing about the implementation of replay at any level of football I like. College at least has it halfway right in that they have a replay official who can review any plan and you don't have to have the team worrying about whether or not to challenge. That's just nonsense. And why tie time outs to replays? The goal appears to be to penalize teams for being wrong so why not penalize them 10 yards if they don't have any timeouts left? And we haven't even gotten into the fact that only some types of plays can be challenged and others cannot.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #152
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think this is mostly done because of poor countries that follow FIFA rules that don't have a clock... that and preventing the scorekeeper from messing with the stoppage timing (as they do in the NFL, NBA, etc).
If your country can't afford a decent clock, you have no business playing soccer at an international level.

But that's not the reason -- it's just a stupid tradition. Technically the clock never stops in soccer, but the referee has the authority to add time at his/her discretion. There's no need for Swiss timing for that. That could be done by somebody else. Putting it on a scoreboard and making it "official" would remove the hanky panky. Right now, one person has the authority to let the game go as long as they want with no one knowing what the time is.

Soccer is the only game with a clock where only one person knows when the game will end. Bizarre.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #153
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see the NFL overtime changed to the first team scoring 6 points wins. Sure you'll have one possession periods still but its better than someone getting a cheap FG and winning. I hate how important the coin toss is.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #154
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If your defensive line is getting winded it is a lot better to do a stupid challenge and lose a timeout than to just call the timeout. It seems like you get much more time with a challenge.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #155
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You need to be able to challenge defensive pass inreference, roughing the kicker/passer and grounding. They are fucking critical game changing calls and need to be reviewable
Old 12-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #156
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'd like to see the NFL overtime changed to the first team scoring 6 points wins. Sure you'll have one possession periods still but its better than someone getting a cheap FG and winning. I hate how important the coin toss is.

I agree. Guaranteeing each team once possession still makes the coin toss critical. I don't know what the bigger advantage is - getting the ball first in the NFL system or getting the ball last when you guarantee each team a possession.

First to 6 points is a great balance. If you score a TD off the bat, you deserve to win. If you can only get a FG, you're the giving the advantage back to the other team to win.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #157
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
If your country can't afford a decent clock, you have no business playing soccer at an international level.

But that's not the reason -- it's just a stupid tradition. Technically the clock never stops in soccer, but the referee has the authority to add time at his/her discretion. There's no need for Swiss timing for that. That could be done by somebody else. Putting it on a scoreboard and making it "official" would remove the hanky panky. Right now, one person has the authority to let the game go as long as they want with no one knowing what the time is.

Soccer is the only game with a clock where only one person knows when the game will end. Bizarre.

I fully agree with that. That's one of several reasons why I do not like soccer at all. By the way, how is this handled in a text sim?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:03 PM   #158
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I didn't catch everything in the thread, but aside from palming / travelling that are never called, the dumbest rule in the NBA is "call a timeout, get the ball at the other half of the court" that allows a team to call timeout after a made shot with 0.8 seconds left on the clock and get to inbound near the other team's basket for a desperation heave. You should ALWAYS have to move the ball the length of the court. The only time you should inbound in the other team's half is after moving it across the halfcourt line.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #159
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I would assume the half court advance rule was put in place for TV. That way they get to run a shitload of commercials in what's probably the most viewed part of the game. I'm interested when the rule was created and for what reasons other than TV.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #160
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This is something I had never thought of but a fantastic idea that would fix much of the problem
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #161
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
This is something I had never thought of but a fantastic idea that would fix much of the problem

Agreed. I waffle on which OT rules I hate more, pro or college. Usually it ends up being pro, as there's too much reliance on what amounts to a 50-50 coin toss.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #162
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

Rugby did the same thing, at least at the club level.
In a strange way it was kind of fun. It added a sudden death feel to the end of close games.
You knew you were on borrowed time, but not how much you had...

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis

Last edited by Surtt : 12-29-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #163
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
- the 90 minute rule in English soccer, where if a club wants to sign a youngster, they must live within 90 minutes of the club's training ground. Biased towards more densely populated areas (London clubs in particular)
But isn't the densely populated areas argument nullified by the trend of densely populated areas also having more soccer clubs, making the competition for said player bigger? The real disadvantage is there for the youngesters themselves as those living near the coastline or inside terrible infrasturctured areas have less options.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #164
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:

This is, quite simply, the best overtime proposal I have ever heard. What's really weird is that I've never heard it before. SteveW for commish!
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #165
dervack
College Prospect

How about, as long as the player is stopped for a first down, you can't challenge the spot? Even if were talking a 2 yard difference?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #166
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
This is, quite simply, the best overtime proposal I have ever heard. What's really weird is that I've never heard it before. SteveW for commish!

I liked the one where the coaches bid for starting field position and the one that bids the farthest away gets possession first.
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #167
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I liked the one where the coaches bid for starting field position and the one that bids the farthest away gets possession first.
Sounds like a weird version of "Name That Tune."

"I can score from 40 yards away."
"I can score from 45 yards away."
"I can score from 50 yards away."
"OK. SCORE THAT TOUCHDOWN!"
Old 12-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #168
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

Fuck Pumpy made me chuckle.

I still hate you for making Hot Chocolate my girlfriends favorite drink.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #169
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Fuck Pumpy made me chuckle.

I still hate you for making Hot Chocolate my girlfriends favorite drink.
So she told you "Hot Chocolate" was a drink, huh? Ah, I have that girl very well trained.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #170
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
So she told you "Hot Chocolate" was a drink, huh? Ah, I have that girl very well trained.

It's okay .. ask your wife about the Skinny Half Caf.

Er.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #171
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

That is pretty much exactly it.
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #172
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

If there was ever anything that could replace "bounty hunter" as your custom...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #173
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

NASCAR has a lot of silly rules, so I'll just ignore those.

My picks (the first three don't exist anymore, but they were silly while they lasted):

* Halo rule (NCAAF)
* In the grasp (NFL)
* Illegal zone (NBA)
* Defensive indifference (MLB)
* Illegal celebration rules (football)
* Overtime (NCAAF)

BTW, I don't mind the DH and I kinda like the sudden death rule in the NFL.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #174
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

whatever rule in the NBA allows Portland's basket with 6 men on the court to count (just happened in the trailblazers-celtics game)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:17 AM   #175
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I was reading that as one foot in and the other lands out which is a catch. If the foot was already out than I see it not being a catch but that still doesn't seem like it should be used to rule for kicks as you are giving the receiving team the power to "create" a penalty.

Yes, EF, you read my intent correctly. I'd never seen this before, then oddly enough it happened twice to the Gators this year. Once against Alabama, and I am blanking on who the first one was against.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:47 AM   #176
Crim
College Benchwarmer

If you go to the 55 minute mark, you'll see it. Even the LSU announce team thought Florida got jobbed.

JTV

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:16 AM   #177
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post

It will result in a LOT more ties and Americans don't like ties. See my least favorite rule, the NHL shootout. Not only do I hate the shootout on principle, but they don't even divide up the points properly.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #178
larrymcg421
Head Coach

My NFL OT proposal

1) Each team gets guaranteed a possession, which they get by receiving a kickoff.

2) No coin toss. Home team gets 2nd possession in the first OT.

3) There is no punting.

4) If you don't score, then the officials mark the yard line you reached.

5) The next team either has to beat the score of the previous team or pass the yard line the other team reached.

6) If the game is won by the yard line rule, it will be reported as a 1 pt. victory.

7) If both teams score the same, then we repeat from rule #1, but the the order of possession will switch.

8) Ties suck. Man up and keep playing until someone wins.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote