Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2008, 09:10 PM   #151
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
And the Big 12 continues to reign supreme I got it.

This has nothing to do with the Big 12. The facts suggest that the ACC is extremely weak in football this year.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #152
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
This has nothing to do with the Big 12. The facts suggest that the ACC is extremely weak in football this year.

I don't disagree with this at all, but to suggest that a 35-3 first half shouldn't be a surprise is a bit much.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #153
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

ACC Football Report: Out of Conference Report '08 - At Regular Season's End

Go ahead and give that a quick peep.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:19 PM   #154
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Me: "That's it, I can't take anymore. Play your 360 or something"

Son: "{jaw drops} That's the first time you've ever told me to start playing a game of any kind."

Me: "I don't care if you throw a rock through the TV, I just can't take watching any more of this crap"
Old 12-31-2008, 09:20 PM   #155
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

For some reason I enjoy Florida State and Miami losing games because the entertainment from reading the message boards is second to none imo.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:29 PM   #156
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

Regular season records vs. out of conference opponents (most of whom are cupcakes) have very little significance, and they tend to inflate a team's statistics. For instance, Florida State played two FCS teams (formerly Division I-AA), and beat them by a combined score of 115-7. If you look at Florida State's games against Division 1 (FBS) competition, their average score was 28-24. That's hardly the stuff that legends are made of. They did beat unranked Wisconsin, so you have to give them credit for what so far is the ACC's "signature" bowl win this year.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:32 PM   #157
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Pretty good read. Confirmed what I kindof already suspected- ACC actually played decent out of conference, SEC ate the most cupcakes, and Big XII should have played a little harder competition in the non-con.

But, guess what, voters and fans eat it all up- the SEC and Big XII are the big dogs, mainly because they slaughtered crap in the non-con and looked good before beating each other up. The difference is that the Big XII can't get away with the "we play awful crap because we have such a hard regular season" excuse and get raked over the coals for a lot of our patsies.

I was kindof hoping the ACC would put up a better showing. So far, the Pac-10 has easily looked the best.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-31-2008 at 09:35 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:33 PM   #158
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Regular season records vs. out of conference opponents (most of whom are cupcakes) have very little significance, and they tend to inflate a team's statistics. For instance, Florida State played two FCS teams (formerly Division I-AA), and beat them by a combined score of 115-7. If you look at Florida State's games against Division 1 (FBS) competition, their average score was 28-24. That's hardly the stuff that legends are made of. They did beat unranked Wisconsin, so you have to give them credit for what so far is the ACC's "signature" bowl win this year.

LOL. Nevermind.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #159
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Looks like one Big 10 team has a good chance of winning a bowl game. 2 possessions, 2 scores. 14-0 Iowa.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #160
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Hawkeyes will win this with ease. I would have prefered that Iowa play a team that's actually good. South Carolina was terrible all year and shouldn't even be in a bowl game.

Fumble, Iowa ball. South Carolina is a joke.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #161
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sucks they moved the Cotton Bowl to tomorrow.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #162
JW
College Prospect

One telling comment from an LSU linebacker after the game:

"The game seemed a lot slower than the practices we had," Riley said. "Our scout team really prepared us well. They were faster than Georgia Tech."

LSU had a tremendous amount of talent but had a down year for several reasons, the QB problems being obvious, and defensive confusion due to the co-DCs never jelling being another. One could argue Jefferson should have played earlier, but other reports were that he just wasn't ready earlier. Now GT did not play its best game, but LSU was just physically superior to GT.

Next year LSU returns Jefferson and will apparently get the premier QB recruit in the country. Miles is also making major changes on the defensive side of the coaching staff. So it will be interesting to see how LSU rebounds from the down year.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #163
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
One telling comment from an LSU linebacker after the game:

"The game seemed a lot slower than the practices we had," Riley said. "Our scout team really prepared us well. They were faster than Georgia Tech."

LSU had a tremendous amount of talent but had a down year for several reasons, the QB problems being obvious, and defensive confusion due to the co-DCs never jelling being another. One could argue Jefferson should have played earlier, but other reports were that he just wasn't ready earlier. Now GT did not play its best game, but LSU was just physically superior to GT.

Next year LSU returns Jefferson and will apparently get the premier QB recruit in the country. Miles is also making major changes on the defensive side of the coaching staff. So it will be interesting to see how LSU rebounds from the down year.

Well, there is more too. GT doesn't yet really have the players for their system, and giving a team weeks to prepare for it took away their main advantage. They'll only get better and tougher to play as they are able to build the team.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-01-2009 at 12:46 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #164
JW
College Prospect

A lot of LSU people had a lot of confidence for the very reason you pointed out, just about a month to prepare for GT's offense. That indeed made a big difference. Meanwhile, LSU made great strides getting JJ ready for the game and was able to run a full offense with confidence. Likewise Miles has a great history of preparing teams for bowl games.

I've always liked GT and hope they have a lot of success in the future. Maybe we could relegate USC from the SEC and bring in GT. You for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Well, there is more too. GT doesn't yet really have the players for their system, and giving a team weeks to prepare for it took away their main advantage. They'll only get better and tougher to play as they are able to build the team.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #165
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Georgia could not place any worse if they tried, and they only trail 6-3.

But wow do they look uninterested.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #166
GrantDawg

Quote:
A lot of LSU people had a lot of confidence for the very reason you pointed out, just about a month to prepare for GT's offense. That indeed made a big difference. Meanwhile, LSU made great strides getting JJ ready for the game and was able to run a full offense with confidence. Likewise Miles has a great history of preparing teams for bowl games.

I've always liked GT and hope they have a lot of success in the future. Maybe we could relegate USC from the SEC and bring in GT. You for that?

Oh yeah.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #167
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Georgia could not place any worse if they tried, and they only trail 6-3.

Yup.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #168
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Who in the blue fucking hell puts a defensive end at the up man to take the snap on a fake punt inside their own 30? Please God tell me that was some sort of uncalled blown play. Otherwise I'm seriously concerned that CPJ has suffered some sort of traumatic head injury that no one is aware of.

Late to the party, not only was it stupid for all of those reasons...but they snapped it to the guy who was on the near side of the field, and they had him run the sweep to the far side. You have a DE running and you want to also make him cover an extra 5 yards?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #169
GrantDawg

Wow. Stafford is really playing like a first overall pick. 3 for 11, and just not even trying.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-01-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #170
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You for that?

Not me, and I suspect it would be pretty unpopular with most of the GT folks, at least with those under 50. Right or wrong, fair or unfair, it would be perceived as a step in the wrong direction with regard to academics and would be strictly a football move (I can't think of any other sport GT participates in where the ACC isn't at worst equal to the SEC).

A better switch would be Clemson to the SEC with Vandy coming to the ACC.
Never happen, but I'd like to see it and have thought it made sense for years.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #171
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah, good thing this game sucks so I don't have to watch THE CONSTANT FUCKING SCROLLING of what Thomas Jones said about Brett Favre in an interview with a rap station.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #172
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I was commenting on that here at home myself, some definite body language signals out there, I thought Stafford in particular looked like he'd rather be elsewhere.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #173
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I was commenting on that here at home myself, some definite body language signals out there, I thought Stafford in particular looked like he'd rather be elsewhere.

Plus how the fuck does a punter just MISS the ball?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #174
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Plus how the fuck does a punter just MISS the ball?

Well, that's easier to believe than thinking running the ball with a DE on a fake punt is a good idea

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-01-2009 at 01:38 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #175
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Wow. Stafford is really playing like a first overall pick. 3 for 11, and just not even trying.

This is a "Detroit, draft that Bradford guy" performance.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #176
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
This is a "Detroit, draft that Bradford guy" performance.

I don't want a QB but if I had to pick, give me Stafford still.

Bradford throws passes that look like they're destined to be picked all the time. He's better suited for a west coast offense. I just don't buy that hype with him.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #177
GrantDawg

Look! It is a Matt Stafford sighting!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #178
DeToxRox
Head Coach

That is why I'd still go Stafford over Bradford. The potential is off the charts. Still have doubts he can reach it though.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #179
MJ4H
Coordinator

Good to see uga finally wake up a little bit, as opposed to south carolina who never did.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #180
whomario
Pro Starter

Stafford certainly had a pretty flawless 2nd half, great passjust now that bascically puts the game away (and terrific body control on the catch, too)
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #181
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait for this game to start. Enough talking, let's kickoff already.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #182
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

God this Joe Pa stuff is annoying. Give it a rest, ABC..
Old 01-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #183
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

btw...what exactly does Joe Pa do during games?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #184
whomario
Pro Starter

Haven´t been able to follow College Football much more than a weekend game here or there or had time to follow it online much, can someone explain to me what´s the deal with Penn State´s Coach ? Why is he having that attention he´s now fled from ? Assume that i´ve litterally no knowledge here.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #185
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

SS Kevin Ellison is out today with a knee injury and that will hurt the defense a good bit as he has been a real leader. Damien Williams is also a bit banged up and maybe limited today.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #186
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Haven´t been able to follow College Football much more than a weekend game here or there or had time to follow it online much, can someone explain to me what´s the deal with Penn State´s Coach ? Why is he having that attention he´s now fled from ? Assume that i´ve litterally no knowledge here.

He's old. That's pretty much it.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #187
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Trojans strike first with a nice TD pass from Sanchez to Damien Williams! Great balance on this drive for them.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #188
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

You know, I typically regard Big 10 teams as overrated(and they usually are) but Penn State despite that TD they just gave up can hang with anyone save Florida, Oklahoma, Texas and maybe Alabama.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #189
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

For all the talent USC has accumulated over the years I don't recall them ever having an impact corner. Maybe Eaglesfan knows for sure... me and my roommate are discussing this now.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #190
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My son is so excited right now and that's saying a lot since he's normally very hyperactive.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #191
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Whoever is calling the plays for PSU is doing a great job on this drive. It seems everything USC has thrown at them has backfired.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #192
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For all the talent USC has accumulated over the years I don't recall them ever having an impact corner. Maybe Eaglesfan knows for sure... me and my roommate are discussing this now.

Terrell Thomas was very good, but they haven't had a truly elite corner in at least a decade that I can recall.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #193
whomario
Pro Starter

Wow, great drive by Penn State and Clark here.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #194
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Clark was very, very good there. Looks like this may be a run fun game .
Old 01-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #195
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Whoever is calling the plays for PSU is doing a great job on this drive. It seems everything USC has thrown at them has backfired.

Eaglesfan, is that because Carroll I can't recruit them or is it because they can't be developed. My room said its because they usually take their athletes and put them on offense, I don't recall that.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #196
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
He's old. That's pretty much it.

That and he's the winningest coach in Division 1 college football history.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #197
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Eaglesfan, is that because Carroll I can't recruit them or is it because they can't be developed. My room said its because they usually take their athletes and put them on offense, I don't recall that.

I think it is because most of the top athletes in CA want to play offense. Part of why USC is going to lose Randall Carroll is because he wants to play offense and he says the staff talked about him being a DB at one point.

Great response by USC on this drive. Moving the ball very easily (until that play.)
Old 01-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #198
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I think one of our best corners in the past decade, once he develops, will be a player from the Southeast, T.J. Bryant.

Edit: Of course, it is rare to get kids like him away from all of the Florida schools.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-01-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #199
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
That and he's the winningest coach in Division 1 college football history.

That one is definitely in the backseat. I mean, my grandmother would be the winningest coach if she lived long enough.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #200
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
You know, I typically regard Big 10 teams as overrated(and they usually are) but Penn State despite that TD they just gave up can hang with anyone save Florida, Oklahoma, Texas and maybe Alabama.

I think Penn State (and USC) can compete with any team. However, that's just my opinion.

Good point about USC having an impact corner. I can only think of Brian Kelly, who was drafted back in the second round in 1998. USC must have had an impact corner since then.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote