Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #151
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
It's the same team buddy with the exception of one player. And if you compare Favre's stats last year to Rodgers this year they are probably similar. You're putting all the blame on Thompson and most of it should go on the defense. The defense is not nearly as good, some of it because of key injuries. The defense carried them last year when Favre had bad games.

It is not just one player, Jas. Look at your statement, the defense is the problem. Exactly. Would have been nice to have our starting DT Corey Williams return instead of trading him to Cleveland. But wait, Tammy Thompson drafted a DT in the first round last year so Williams has to go. It doesn't matter that Harrell is never healthy and didn't show anything last year when he was healthy. So what happens, Harrell misses most of this season and then doesn't do anything when he is. Big shocker. They didn't try to add anyone else to the d-line either, so that is all we have. Jenkins going down made those holes 100x bigger in the d-line. No d-line means crap defense most of the time and that is what has happened here. It's Kampman and that is it, a one man d-line. Although that chubby kid does knock a pass down once in a while.

Oh yeah, and Tammy Thompson didn't bring any new offensive linemen either, because the young guys we got are good enough. They are ready to break out. This is their year. Sure thing. Ryan Grant holding out, which every time a RB does that leads to that RB being banged up and having a crappy year or start to the season. Thompson ended up giving him the money so maybe the hold out could have been avoided.

So yes, I put a lot of the blame on Thompson. McCarthy can have a share too though, since the team's little penalty problem (funny how that wasn't there tonight though) can be put on him. Thompson though, the d-line and o-line are all on him buddy and that is where this team blows.

Edit: I forgot to mention the punter this week. Cutting Ryan for Frost sucked when it happened. I didn't like it right away. Frost has been crap almost every week since, yet Thompson hasn't made any move to get rid of the guy. It's pathetic. Frost had a crap punt right away tonight to set up the Saints' second TD.

Last edited by Cringer : 11-24-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #152
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
And I think you jumped ship on the season too early, Cringer. Look at Arles who jumped off then jumped back on and now he probably jumped off again.
After the Vikes loss, I felt GB was on the outside looking in for a playoff spot.
After the Bears win, I felt GB was on the outside looking in for a playoff spot.
After the Saints loss, I feel GB is on the outside looking in for a playoff spot.

Yeah, it's been quite the roller coaster ride for me this season

Quote:
The Packers will control the tiebreakers vs the Bears and Vikings if they beat the Bears in Chicago. They had to go 1-1 vs. New Orelans and Carolina and they can still do that. They seem to play better at home anyway. Get to 6-6 and maybe they can run the table vs. Houston, Jacksonville, Chicago, and Detroit. It's not that far fetched, although the defense will have to play much better.
The division is so pathetic that GB still has a shot, but I still think the odds are against them. They can't really do anything consistently and you need an identity to rattle off 3-4 wins in a row. If 9-7 wins the north, GB has a chance. If 10-6 takes it, I can't see GB making the playoffs.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #153
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
It is not just one player, Jas. Look at your statement, the defense is the problem. Exactly. Would have been nice to have our starting DT Corey Williams return instead of trading him to Cleveland. But wait, Tammy Thompson drafted a DT in the first round last year so Williams has to go. It doesn't matter that Harrell is never healthy and didn't show anything last year when he was healthy. So what happens, Harrell misses most of this season and then doesn't do anything when he is. Big shocker. They didn't try to add anyone else to the d-line either, so that is all we have. Jenkins going down made those holes 100x bigger in the d-line. No d-line means crap defense most of the time and that is what has happened here. It's Kampman and that is it, a one man d-line. Although that chubby kid does knock a pass down once in a while.

Oh yeah, and Tammy Thompson didn't bring any new offensive linemen either, because the young guys we got are good enough. They are ready to break out. This is their year. Sure thing. Ryan Grant holding out, which every time a RB does that leads to that RB being banged up and having a crappy year or start to the season. Thompson ended up giving him the money so maybe the hold out could have been avoided.

So yes, I put a lot of the blame on Thompson. McCarthy can have a share too though, since the team's little penalty problem (funny how that wasn't there tonight though) can be put on him. Thompson though, the d-line and o-line are all on him buddy and that is where this team blows.
I've been a Thompson/McCarthy supporter and still think they made the right decision with Favre. But, their inability to get quality linemen (on both sides) has hurt this team. We haven't draft a tackle in the top 4 rounds in eons and I'm always terrified that one of Tauscher/Clifton will get hurt. Well, Clifton got hurt in the Minny game and Tauscher tonight. To be $20+ million under the cap going into the season (with a rookie QB) and decide to go with a converted guard (Tony Moll) and undrafted FA (Orrin Thompson) as your backup OTs is a joke.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #154
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
any doubt now that the Giants are the best team in the NFL by a large margin?

Kind of had one of your arguments supported and a different one not supported all in the same game. Giants did roll as many expected over the Cards and it seems they likely should be the best team in the NFC playoffs this year. As long as they don't pull another boneheaded game such as they did vs the Browns they have a good shot.

On the other hand though, today's game was that much more apparent what many of us also said that Jacobs was not the secret to the Giants success this year. They can and did roll over one of the better NFC teams today as well without him or Burress. They still got 87 yards of rushing today against one of the top 10 rushing defenses so far this season statswise.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote