Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #151
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Why do their need to be limitations on what someone does in their private life? If it doesn't hurt you in anyway, why is there a limitation? This is the part of your argument I can't understand. Why are there these limitations if it takes place between consenting adults?

I'll add I think incest is a bad argument on your part as the main reason it's illegal today is due to the high level of genetic defects it causes in offspring.

And lets stop using the "eyes of God" argument in this stuff. Not everyone believes in God and in fact, as science continues to be taught to people, less and less people will believe in God. Not all of us want our laws to be developed around some fairy tale from thousands of years ago that science has disproven.

What do birth defects have to do with anything? Someone can make the argument that a much higher level of AIDS infections occur in homosexual relationships (yeah I know the argument is marriage, but it was simply accepting gay sex 20 years ago). Also, birth defects and severe mental and physical retardation are linked to genetic history (even in non-incestuous scenarios) as well. We are not stopping people who continue to have high rates of ratarded children from having babies. The brother / sister or father / daughter, etc. example fits the argument perfectly. Either accept the freedom to do as consenting adults want or don't. That also means youthenasia when consenting, etc.

As for the "eyes of god", we have laws being crafted today based upon the old argument that some races were not as talened as others. Since we all know that all races are equal, even black and white (add any other race you want) and the civil rights war was fought and won in the 1960's, can we stop creating laws around affirmitive action and race based policy? That fairy tale should not be driving policy today.

Last edited by Grammaticus : 05-18-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #152
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
If someone is encouraged by a movie or video game to do something terrible then I'd argue that if it wasn't the game/movie, it just would've been something else that eventually pushed them over the edge.

A sense of right and wrong is not something that can just be erased by playing a video game or watching a movie, it requires a lot of external, real-world "help" to get you to that point.

Not saying that it will cause people to something terrible.

I'm just wondering if a steady diet of something like that would change our reaction to a real-life situation...i.e., we see something similar in real-life and our reaction is not shock and revulsion, but more of a blase, shrug-your-shoulders, sh*t happens kind of response. It's all about the slippery slope.

And, if some kid has never thought about robbing, or killing someone...and plays a game like Grand Theft Auto...where the violence is more gritty and realistic...and not over-the-top and cartoony like other games...it certainly opens a whole new range emotions and experiences for that kid. And sometimes all it takes is a nudge or push to cause some people to start going in the wrong direction.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 05-18-2008 at 09:02 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #153
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
You're crossing the line here. I should know, since I've crossed it many times before.

You extol the rights of gays and deride gay bashers, yet you have become a religious basher by calling someone's beliefs fairy tales. That's pretty harsh.
The term fairy tale was probably over-the-line. But I am not the one that brought up the issue of religion. He said it's bad in "God's eyes". This argument is used by social conservatives as well.

If you're going to use a particular religion for the basis of a legal argument, then their religion is fair game. If a Scientologist believes psychology should be outlawed based on their religious beliefs, isn't their religious beliefs now part of the argument? If your basis for outlawing something is based on the word of a particular God, I believe it is only fair to argue whether such God exists.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #154
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hey, looks like you fellas have this whole thing just about ironed out - just let us know, k thx.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #155
SFL Cat
College Starter

You'll be the first to get a PM, sir.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 05-18-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #156
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
What do birth defects have to do with anything? Someone can make the argument that a much higher level of AIDS infections occur in homosexual relationships (yeah I know the argument is marriage, but it was simply accepting gay sex 20 years ago). Also, birth defects and severe mental and physical retardation are linked to genetic history (even in non-incestuous scenarios) as well. We are not stopping people who continue to have high rates of ratarded children from having babies. The brother / sister or father / daughter, etc. example fits the argument perfectly. Either accept the freedom to do as consenting adults want or don't. That also means youthenasia when consenting, etc.
I understand what you're saying, and I personally don't care if a brother and sister want to marry. I'm just saying that one of the arguments is that incestous children are at a much higher rate for fatal defects. There marriage in affect may hurt others in this scenario, while a gay marriage hurts no one.

I agree with you though, just saying that comparing incest to gay marriage seems flawed in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
As for the "eyes of god", we have laws being crafted today based upon the old argument that some races were not as talened as others. Since we all know that all races are equal, even black and white (add any other race you want) and the civil rights war was fought and won in the 1960's, can we stop creating laws around affirmitive action and race based policy? That fairy tale should not be driving policy today.

I agree with you here too. Although I don't feel that these policies are based on saying that one race is better than the other, and instead based on trying to root out racism and helping minorities catch up to the majority race. That has nothing to do with biology or genetics either, it has to do with the fact a particular race was opressed for hundreds of years in this country and need a hand catching up.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #157
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't really want to get drawn into this, but my personal point of view is that there is an ideology behind gay marriage which insists that men and women are completely interchangeable, that they simply have different genitals, and that is the extent of their differences. I believe this is completely incorrect.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #158
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I don't really want to get drawn into this, but my personal point of view is that there is an ideology behind gay marriage which insists that men and women are completely interchangeable, that they simply have different genitals, and that is the extent of their differences. I believe this is completely incorrect.

Well, when that "ideology" is, you know, the Constitution, I think you kind have to accept it as true in this debate.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #159
st.cronin
General Manager

Where in the Constitution does it say men and women differ only in respect to their genitals?

knives out
Old 05-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #160
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Where in the Constitution does it say men and women differ only in respect to their genitals?

Constitution doesn't even go that far. We're all equals under the law, regardless of your genitals.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #161
Drake
assmaster

Oh, my genitals are more than equal, and I want that recognized.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #162
st.cronin
General Manager

"Equals under the law" is not the same thing as interchangeable for all purposes.

knives out
Old 05-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #163
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
"Equals under the law" is not the same thing as interchangeable for all purposes.

When you're deciding wether something is legal/constitutional (e.g., gay marriage), it pretty much is or, if not, certainly should be.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #164
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

From the Federalist Papers:

Quote:
"wherever a particular statute contravenes the Constitution, it will be the duty of the judicial tribunals to adhere to the latter and disregard the former."
Old 05-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #165
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I didn't think that this was the first time this law has been reviewed by the CA Supreme Court. Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought this had previously passed judicial scrutiny.

In the bigger picture, the Civil Union in CA provides all of the benefits of marriage that the state can provide. So I don't see that the law is truly discriminatory.

They ducked the question of whether the law was constitutional the last time around. What they ruled on was whether the marriage licenses that had been granted were legal under the law.

And, by the way, the constitutional amendment the anti-gay-marriage groups are putting together would also ban civil unions.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #166
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl View Post
And, by the way, the constitutional amendment the anti-gay-marriage groups are putting together would also ban civil unions.

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars"
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #167
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars"

That's a bad thing if you're on a spaceship with just enough supplies to get to the moon and back.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #168
Groundhog
Coordinator

Gambia has a solution:

Quote:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...-23109,00.html

Gambia President Yahya Jammeh threatens to behead gays

ECCENTRIC Gambian President Yahya Jammeh has threatened to behead gays unless they leave the country, according to reports.

"The Gambia is a country of believers ... sinful and immoral practices (such) as homosexuality will not be tolerated in this country," the president told a crowd at a political rally on May 15, local journalists said today.

He went on to say he would "cut off the head" of any gay person caught in The Gambia.

The anti-gay campaign continued in the Gambian pro-government media this week with the Daily Observer publishing a virulent editorial.

"We have said it before and we will say it again. This is a Muslim and Christian country. Both the Koran and the holy Bible condemn homosexuality - pure and simple," the paper wrote on Monday.

British gay rights group Outrage today said the Gambian leader's comments came as no surprise.

"Jammeh has a long history of homophobia," spokesman Peter Tatchell said.
"If he tries to carry out these threats, international aid donors are likely to withdraw their support, and foreign tourists will stay away in droves, thereby damaging the Gambian economy," he added.

The tourism industry is vital to Gambia's economy as the West African nation lacks other natural resources.

Mr Jammeh drew condemnation from African AIDS groups after he claimed in January to have found a "miracle" treatment for HIV/AIDS.

I think "eccentric" is perhaps a little too light a term to throw at a country's leader who has just said he'll decapitate around ~10% of his population.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #169
SFL Cat
College Starter

No controversies over same-sex marriages there....
Old 05-23-2008, 07:31 AM   #170
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
No controversies over same-sex marriages there....

Hey, if the U.S. gets too liberal for you, SFL Cat....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #171
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I've got the perfect solution for all of this madness. Let's just roll back the clock 50 years and it will be solved. The inevitable slide began when segregation was thrown out, despite a majority of people in the south wanting it to stay that way. The Loving v Virginia decision also needs to be undone. Very similar arguments were used against interracial marriage as the ones used today against gay marriage, so we've got to fix that as well.

Hell, for that matter, let's just go back 150 years so women cannot vote and we can still have slaves. Conservatism will rise again! Tyranny of the majority is a great thing! There shouldn't be any rights that are not subject to the vote of the majority! Let's put everything up for a vote and majority rules! That's DEMOCRACY after all!

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-17-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote