Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #151
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Why do y'all think that is?

Assuming you're not being facetious or sarcastic

Focusing on one system allows for greater concentration of resources and a higher quality end product.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #152
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Weekly sales figures for PAL territories for week ending November 10th:

Quote:
Wii: 247K
PS2: 84K
PS3: 82K
360: 54K

Wii continues to sell well in Europe. PS2 still holding off a charge from its big brother.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #153
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Thanks. I know so little about game development that I really didn't realize what a big deal it was to only have to focus on one console.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #154
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Bioshock developers finally get wise and give an official 'NO' on the Bioshock to PS3 rumor rather than giving their 'we won't currently discuss development on other consoles' answer.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/14/2k...3-stop-asking/
Old 11-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #155
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Thanks. I know so little about game development that I really didn't realize what a big deal it was to only have to focus on one console.
The 360 and PS3 are both powerful machines, but their architecture is quite different. Optimizing your game engine for both platforms requires a lot of work (i.e. time and money), and certain content has to be either customized for each console or dumbed-down to allow easy porting between both.

The upside to cross-platform development is reduced development cost - while it does take additional work to optimize your game for each console, much of the raw work transfers, so the cost when spread out between the multiple SKU's is less than if you were building specifically for one SKU, and your potential audience is obviously larger.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #156
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
The 360 and PS3 are both powerful machines, but their architecture is quite different. Optimizing your game engine for both platforms requires a lot of work (i.e. time and money), and certain content has to be either customized for each console or dumbed-down to allow easy porting between both.

The upside to cross-platform development is reduced development cost - while it does take additional work to optimize your game for each console, much of the raw work transfers, so the cost when spread out between the multiple SKU's is less than if you were building specifically for one SKU, and your potential audience is obviously larger.

One other thing to note. It is much easier to develop for the 360 then the PS3. Not to mention and this is a biggy. It is very easy for a game to be developed for both the 360 and the PC at the same time.

Microsoft was smart in the way they did that.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:00 AM   #157
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
One other thing to note. It is much easier to develop for the 360 then the PS3. Not to mention and this is a biggy. It is very easy for a game to be developed for both the 360 and the PC at the same time.

Microsoft was smart in the way they did that.

Easier = better games? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. There was an uproar of complaints about how difficult the PS2 was to deal with when it was released. If the user base is available, developers will find a way to make it work. Increasing the user base should obviously be Sony and MS's main goal at this point.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #158
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Surprised that no one mentioned that Carssissione (sp?) is being offered for free on Xbox Live for one day only to celebrate the 5 year anniversary of Xbox Live.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #159
SackAttack
Head Coach

two days, I thought - 11/15 through the end of 11/16.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:57 AM   #160
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I hope it's two days because I don't get back home until tomorrow.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #161
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
two days, I thought - 11/15 through the end of 11/16.

Yep, you're right. Here's the details.......

Quote:
As a gesture of thanks to the community, all eight-million members will have the opportunity to download a free Xbox LIVE Arcade game, between 08:01 a.m. on 15th November 15 and 7:59 a.m. on 17th November. In addition to this, every active Gold member who joined the service at launch will receive 500 MS Points for free.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #162
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I can't remember if I joined Xbox Live at launch or not. I was one of the many beta testers all those years ago, but I don't know if I joined immediately at launch or if I had waited. I guess I'll check for those 500 MS Points when I get home.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #163
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Easier = better games? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. There was an uproar of complaints about how difficult the PS2 was to deal with when it was released. If the user base is available, developers will find a way to make it work. Increasing the user base should obviously be Sony and MS's main goal at this point.
The PS2 was harder to develop for. But the fact that the PS did so well and Sony's marketing hype and big money essentially doomed the Dreamcast from the start meant that the PS2 raced to a big early lead, something that the Xbox couldn't hope to compete with.

I would argue the ease of development on the Xbox is one of the reasons it hung in as well as it did the last generation. That and a lot of MS money keeping that division afloat.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #164
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I can't remember if I joined Xbox Live at launch or not. I was one of the many beta testers all those years ago, but I don't know if I joined immediately at launch or if I had waited. I guess I'll check for those 500 MS Points when I get home.

I'm fairly sure that if you were a beta tester, and you never let that account lapse, you're good.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #165
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Right now the answer would be yes. No question about that.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #166
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
Right now the answer would be yes. No question about that.

Agreed. The 360 has the larger library right now both in quality and quantity. The PS3 is just now starting to get some games that show off the system's abilities, hence the reason that I say that time will tell whether that changes.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #167
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Sony's marketing hype and big money essentially doomed the Dreamcast from the start

The Dreamcast was awesome, it's such a shame that years of Sega incompetance before the launch, rampant piracy, and people waiting for the PS2 killed it off.

Soul Calibur, Virtua Tennis, NFL2k series, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, it had a bunch of really good games in its 2-3 year run.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #168
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
The Dreamcast was awesome, it's such a shame that years of Sega incompetance before the launch, rampant piracy, and people waiting for the PS2 killed it off.

Soul Calibur, Virtua Tennis, NFL2k series, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, it had a bunch of really good games in its 2-3 year run.

Don't forget Seaman!

Possibly the greatest console game of all-time. I'd really liked to have seen more in that series.

Skies of Arcadia was pure awesomeness also apart from the psychotic amount of random encounters.

Really wish the Dreamcast had succeded, I loved that thing.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #169
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Don't forget Seaman!

Possibly the greatest console game of all-time. I'd really liked to have seen more in that series.

Skies of Arcadia was pure awesomeness also apart from the psychotic amount of random encounters.

Power Stone and Marvel vs Capcom are two other cool games. I have Bangai-O and Seaman that I bought once the Dreamcast was being cleared out at $50. Those things went fast.

Last edited by MikeVic : 11-15-2007 at 04:06 PM.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #170
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Dreamcast was the worst console I ever bought. I couldn't find any games that I liked on it.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #171
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The Dreamcast was the worst console I ever bought. I couldn't find any games that I liked on it.

You don't like Mario games, you don't like Dreamcast games... do you hate the Steelers too?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #172
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Don't forget Seaman!

If you can find it, snag the GameCube version of Skies. They added items that will reduce random encounters, or, if you're feeling masochistic, pump them way up.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #173
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
You don't like Mario games, you don't like Dreamcast games... do you hate the Steelers too?

No, the Steelers are cool.

I did always like Yoshi from the Mario games. I always called him "riding buddy" when I played him on my friend's Nintendo.

I think part of the reason I have no sentimental attachment to Mario is that I never had the Nintendo. I had Super Nintendo, but never the first system.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #174
MrKordell
n00b

Actual October NPD Numbers:

HW Results

Wii 519K
Nintendo DS 458K
Xbox 360 366K
PSP 286K
PlayStation 2 184K
PlayStation 3 121K

Top 10 SW
Rank # Units
360 HALO 3 * MICROSOFT (CORP) SEP 2007 MATURE (M) 1 433.8K
360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUITACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 2 383.2K
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUITACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 3 286.3K
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUITACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 4 271.1K
NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS NINTENDO OF AMERICA SEP 2007 EVERYONE (E) 5 262.8K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 6 239.7K
360 HALF LIFE 2: EPISODE 2 THE ORANGE BOX ELECTRONIC ARTS OCT 2007 MATURE (M) 7 238.4K
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 8 231.7K
PS2 FIFA SOCCER 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS OCT 2007 EVERYONE (E) 9 129.7K
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A NINTENDO OF AMERICA AUG 2007 EVERYONE (E) 10 116.9K

Year-to-Date Top Title Fast Facts (combining platforms and skus)
Halo 3 3.7M
Madden NFL 08 3.2M
Guitar Hero 2 2.8M
Play W/ Remote 2.5M
Pokemon Diamond Version 2.1M
Pokemon Pearl Version 1.5M
Spider-Man 3 1.4M
Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock 1.4M

Super Category Totals
U.S. Video Games Sales - October 2007
October 2006 October 2007 YTD Oct 06 YTD Oct 07
Video Games $643.3M $1.1B 73% $7.0B $10.5B 49%
Video Games Hardware $207.1M $469.7M 127% $2.2B $4.1B 85%
Console Hardware $118.7M $349.6M 195% $1.4B $3.0B 125%
Portable Game Hardware $88.5M $120.1M 36% $877.5M $1.1B 23%
Video Games Software $369.3M $513.9M 39% $3.9B $5.0B 27%
Console Software $283.8M $412.5M 45% $2.9B $3.8B 28%
Portable Game Software $85.5M $101.5M 19% $983.1M $1.2B 23%
MrKordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #175
twothree
College Prospect

Those numbers are similar to VGChartz numbers, except for the 360 and DS which VGChartz looks to have over estimated by quite a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan to start the thread View Post
First, the raw numbers (numbers are from VGChartz):
Quote:
North America:

360: 649K
DS: 622K
Wii: 543K
PSP: 303K
PS2: 176K
PS3: 138K
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #176
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Ok so just as I was about to post I saw I was beaten to the punch, posting these anyhow since they are easier to read and have the vgchartz comparison...

Hardware (vgchartz in parenthesis to compare, 10% +/- what )-

Wii .....................519K (543K)
Nintendo DS....... 458K (622K)
Xbox 360............ 366K (649K)
PSP..................... 286K (303K)
PlayStation 2 .......184K (176K)
PlayStation 3....... 121K (138K)

Software -

360 HALO 3 ..................................................... 433.8K
360 GUITAR HERO III w/ GUITAR........... ...........383.2K
WII GUITAR HERO III w/ GUITAR.......................286.3K
PS2 GUITAR HERO III w/ GUITAR.......................271.1K
NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS....262.8K
WII PLAY w/ REMOTE............ ..............................239.7K
360 HALF LIFE 2 THE ORANGE BOX ..................... 238.4K
PS2 GUITAR HERO III......................................... 231.7K
PS2 FIFA SOCCER 08 .............. .............. ............129.7K
NDS BRAIN AGE 2........ ...................... ............... 116.9K

After last months Halo boost, things are back to normal. Wii sales still through the roof, 360 sales are very good, and it's gonna take more than next month's 40 GB PS3 to save Sony in America, pathetic sales again.

The poor software sales on PS3 are also troubling. No games in the top 10, not even GH3. Ratchet and Clank only sold around 75k copies. The Wii version of GH3 did well considering the install base compared to 360 and PS2, and Halo marches on.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #177
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the fact that GH3 didn't even crack the top 10 on the software side is a big red flag for Sony.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #178
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Don't forget Seaman!

I didn't really discover the Dreamcast until after it died. But, man, looking back, there were a lot of good and great games on it, particularly considering its life cycle.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:56 AM   #179
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Ok so just as I was about to post I saw I was beaten to the punch, posting these anyhow since they are easier to read and have the vgchartz comparison...

Hardware (vgchartz in parenthesis to compare, 10% +/- what )-

Yeah, I'm not sure why VGChartz has such problems with the 360 numbers. That's one of the major complaints with their estimates is that they always seem to be overinflated. Certainly, there's no implication that they do it intentionally. I just think they've got a hole in their process or sample data structure that hasn't been fully adjusted to provide a good 360 estimate.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:58 AM   #180
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

FYI......there were a few articles the other day that mentioned that a new version of Skies of Arcadia is in the works, likely for PS3/360.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:34 AM   #181
spleen1015
Coordinator

One of my friends got Assassin's Creed last night. He likes it. He said it is a lot like the new Prince of Persia games. He said it was badass.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #182
CraigSca
Pro Starter

If you're looking to buy a 360 this Christmas season, you can get Halo3 for free...

1. Buy an Xbox 360 console by December 21.
2. Connect to Xbox LIVE.
3. Register with promotional code XBX7777, your new console serial number, and a valid mailing address.
4. And look for your copy of Halo 3 for Xbox 360 in your mailbox!

Note: In the fine print it states, however, that you must purchase an Xbox 360 between November 21 - December 21, 2007 and need the proof of purchase (at a later time possibly?).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #183
wade moore
lolzcat

Cool, I plan on getting an 360. I'm not a big Halo guy, but free is the right price to get me onboard .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #184
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
If you're looking to buy a 360 this Christmas season, you can get Halo3 for free...

2. Connect to Xbox LIVE.
3. Register with promotional code XBX7777, your new console serial number, and a valid mailing address.

Note: In the fine print it states, however, that you must purchase an Xbox 360 between November 21 - December 21, 2007 and need the proof of purchase (at a later time possibly?).
So, the Xbox Premium now comes with three good games for
$350? That's actually very tempting...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #185
SackAttack
Head Coach

Daimyo - more than that, potentially. Some places will be giving additional games away on Friday, and since the Halo 3 thing runs through 12/21, you could actually wind up getting four or five games with the system for $350 if you time your purchase right.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:53 PM   #186
rjolley
College Starter

So, it looks like I'll be buying myself a 360 soon. Are the only models with an HD now the 20G regular and 120G Elite? Is there anything in between that I'm not finding? I thought there was a 60G one.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #187
SackAttack
Head Coach

nah, you're thinking of a PS3.

The Premium has a 20G, the Halo 3 has a 20G, and the Elite has a 120G.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #188
rjolley
College Starter

Oh, ok. Is there really a need for the 120G HD? Will the 20G suffice?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:45 PM   #189
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Oh, ok. Is there really a need for the 120G HD? Will the 20G suffice?

The only reason for the 120GB is if you want to download lots and lots of HD movies or shows from Marketplace (and lots are available now). Or maybe to take advantage of the new downloadable Xbox games; I could see that feature filling up a 20GB. Hmm, that may have to make me re-evaluate this, given that those can take up a few GB apiece potentially.

But for most gaming use, 20GB is plenty.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #190
rjolley
College Starter

Hmmm, I can't think of an Xbox game that I'd want that I don't have. And I still have a very functional Xbox sitting under the tv that'll still be running.

What about HDMI output? Does the current Premium have that output but not the cable now, where the Elite has both?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:02 AM   #191
SackAttack
Head Coach

Unless you're buying from a store that still has old stock, all of the models currently on the market support HDMI, although only the Elite includes it.

Way to know for sure is read the side of the box. If it says 'HDMI port,' you're good.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #192
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I have a question for you guys. I just bought a PS3 and I'm planning to sell it on EBAY. I got the 40 GB Spider Man 3 Special Edition model for $320 plus tax.

Do you think I'd be better off selling it now, or waiting until closer to the holidays?
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #193
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I think people buying for the holidays are doing it now. I'd wait no more than just after Thanksgiving...
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #194
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I think people buying for the holidays are doing it now. I'd wait no more than just after Thanksgiving...

Okay cool thanks for the advice.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #195
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
One of my friends got Assassin's Creed last night. He likes it. He said it is a lot like the new Prince of Persia games. He said it was badass.

Finally picked this one up tonight and I'm glad I did. This game is right up my alley and I'm loving it so far. In fact, COD 4 is not getting much playing time right now.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #196
sabotai
General Manager

So I think I made out pretty well.

Not too long ago, my XBox RRoDs on me. A few weeks ago I finally got around to mailing it in to Best Buy (I paid for their replacement plan so I decided to call and sent it to them instead of Microsoft). Yesterday, I get a gift card in the mail from Best Buy for the amount (plus sales tax) that I paid.

Since the price has dropped $50 since then, I basically got a free game out of the deal, in addition to the 2 the 360 comes with now. So I get a new XBox 360 w/ HDMI support (should I get an HDTV), Forza 2 (I have it already, though), X-Men Alliance and Assassin's Creed.

I did get another Replacement plan for this one, so the total cost was around 60 bucks, but that bounty isn't bad for $60, especially since I'd probably still be waiting for Microsoft to send me a recycled old version.

Here's hoping it craps out on me in another 18 months.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:46 PM   #197
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

2. Connect to Xbox LIVE.

Looks like they've changed the deal.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/h/ha...xt.campSrc=RSS

Quote:
Original Xbox console users: Buy an Xbox 360. Migrate your paid Xbox LIVE subscription (for the original Xbox console) to Xbox LIVE Gold.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #198
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Looks like they've changed the deal.

That sucks . I was seriously considering braving the Black Friday crowd to pick one up. Now I'll go back to my original plan of waiting until GTA IV is released.
Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #199
wade moore
lolzcat

Blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:12 PM   #200
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Great deal just leaked by the same guy who leaked the $99 HD-DVD player deal at Wal-Mart a couple of weeks back.

Wal-Mart is having a two day offer (11/24-11/25). If you buy a 80 GB PS3 on those two days, you get 10 Blu-ray movies free instantly. Tack on the 5 Blu-ray movies available through Sony, and you get 15 free Blu-ray movies free (roughly a $400 value).

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-18-2007 at 08:12 PM.