Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #151
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Considering they know that there was dog fighting conducted on Vick's property, with or without his knowledge, that combined with the indictment on him should be enough for a suspension.

I think the Falcons' reaction to this will be interesting. This is a huge blackeye and distraction for them while the investigation is taking place.

If nothing else, this should give Petrino pretty much a free pass for the season.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #152
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
HAHA. It appears you and I were thinking on the same wavelength at exactly the same time.

Brilliant minds...something something...alike!
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #153
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

which wants out of ATL more Petrino or Blank?

And Mora Jr. looks much luckier today doesn't he?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #154
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

This is hardly the result of a local DA trying to move up the political ladder by convicting athletes from a well renown local college.

The fact that the federal government has indicted him is a pretty damn good indication that the dude is guilty. He'll plea his way out of it somehow and won't server any jail time.

I hope there's not any organized crime involved in all of this. Vick may not be around long enough to blow the whistle.

I am not saying that he is not guilty. I am not saying that the Feds don't have a good case. All I am saying is that while he has already been convicted in the court of public opinion, there is a possibility of him being found "not guilty" of the charges for whatever reason.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #155
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am not a guy who has second favorite teams and the such, but I might take the Falcons on as a "second favorite" team if they were to cut Vick financial implications be dammed.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #156
TroyF
Coordinator

There shouldn't be anything racially charged about scumbags abusing dogs. If they find Vick guilty, he should never play another down of professional football and he should spend a long time in prison.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #157
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
which wants out of ATL more Petrino or Blank?

And Mora Jr. looks much luckier today doesn't he?

If Harrington ends up the quarterback of Atlanta this year, I'd say Petrino would have a good shot at bringing Brohm to the team next year.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #158
gstelmack
Pro Starter

This puts a new spin on the whole "maybe Michael will be a stabilising influence on Marcus" debacle a few years back, doesn't it?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:59 AM   #159
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
If Harrington ends up the quarterback of Atlanta this year, I'd say Petrino would have a good shot at bringing Brohm to the team next year.

You beat me to it by five minutes!

With the number one pick in the 2008 NFL Draft...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #160
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Joey Harrington sure knows how to pick 'em, no? It's looking like for 2 years running he has taken a backup spot, only to become the starter very early on for the rest of the season (this of course assumes the Falcons don't pick up Culpepper or someone else).

Perhaps Jeff George can return to the team he loved.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #161
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
You beat me to it by five minutes!

With the number one pick in the 2008 NFL Draft...

Well, there are still teams like Oakland in there. My local sports radio station played this last night:

With the fourth pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Brian Brohm, Quarterback from Louisville.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #162
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't think ATL will be that lucky. They have enough other pieces to go 8-8 or 7-9. I think it's much more likely that they'll end up with around ten with no great QB prospect available.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #163
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am not saying that he is not guilty. I am not saying that the Feds don't have a good case. All I am saying is that while he has already been convicted in the court of public opinion, there is a possibility of him being found "not guilty" of the charges for whatever reason.

Theres always possibility, but the feds have 4 corroborating witnesses, all who took money from Vick at dog fights. They've got credit card statements and cell phone records. The amount of information in that indictment, and the speed at which it was handed down pretty much guarantees that they have more than enough evidence to put him away. Theres a good chance the rabbit hole goes a whole lot deeper though, and it ends up a LOT worse. Theres probably going to be RICO charges, which means they'll freeze his assets. Theres probably going to be state charges. This is going to get REALLY bad.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #164
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Someone on another thread suggested that whatever suspension he gets should be converted to dog years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #165
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Someone on another thread suggested that whatever suspension he gets should be converted to dog years.

So he needs to get seven years in order to serve one?

Kidding, I know what you mean.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #166
Ksyrup

You know, I barely glance at those ads at the end of every ESPN article, but this one at the end of the Munson article caught my eye:

Free Michael Vick Jersey
Free Atlanta Falcons Michael Vick Jersey - Authentic - Only A Few Left
www.FreeSportsApparel.com/Falcons

I had two quick reactions:

First, that used to be an enticement to get someone to buy merchandise, but now it might really mean they're just unloading his jerseys.

Second, I wonder how long it will be until we see Jesse Jackson wearing a "Free Michael Vick" jersey.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-18-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #167
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I can't imagine watching a dog fight. We've been housing a friends dog for 3 days now, and our dog and this new one play-fight constantly. Even just the playing is hard to watch, it basically consists of them gnawing on each other, and sometimes I feel a need to break it up, even though they are clearly just playing. The thought of watching to dogs actually go at it is just revolting, never mind having purposely staged the whole thing.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #168
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
There shouldn't be anything racially charged about scumbags abusing dogs. If they find Vick guilty, he should never play another down of professional football and he should spend a long time in prison.

In the south, this comment would be considered racist.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #169
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Heh. I like it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #170
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This is probably old?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #171
Ksyrup

OK, that video wasn't all that great, but the "underthrew him a bone" line is some serious lolz.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #172
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK, that video wasn't all that great, but the "underthrew him a bone" line is some serious lolz.

yeah, that was the best part.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #173
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I figured I wouldn't get this comment out first. That line got quite a laugh from me.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #174
Huckleberry
College Starter

So his initial court date was set for next Thursday. The same next Thursday that is the Falcons' first day of camp.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #175
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
So his initial court date was set for next Thursday. The same next Thursday that is the Falcons' first day of camp.

Which one to skip...decisions, decisions.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #176
miami_fan
Coordinator

From Pro Football Talk.com

I found this somewhat interesting

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Quote:
WHERE'S BODDIE?

Several readers and media types have raised with us a compelling question regarding the Mike Vick indictment.

Why wasn't Davon Boddie, Vick's cousin who lived on the property, named in the indictment?

Really, how could Boddie have been living at the property and not involved in the operation, especially since the house was built for the sole purpose of supporting the dog-fighting operation?

In June, Boddie told WAVY-TV that he had no knowledge of dog fighting on the property where he lived, and he suggested that the dogs removed from the land in April had been planted there by law enforcement officials.

The most obvious conclusion is that Boddie already has been flipped by prosecutors, and that Boddie is singing like a bird that wants a cracker (or whatever in the hell it is that birds eat).

Indeed, there are four "cooperating witnesses" who are named in the indictment, and who likely testified before the grand jury. They provided exhaustive details, like the names of the dogs and the specific purses for the fights.

Boddie could be one of them. If he is, we hope that he's in a safe house right now, far from the influence or reach of any of the four guys who were named in the indictment.

Another "cooperating witness" could be the woman whom Vick allegedly gave herpes in 2003. (We're kidding. We think.)
Old 07-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #177
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
he suggested that the dogs removed from the land in April had been planted there by law enforcement officials

Good lord.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #178
Ksyrup

I assumed one of the other guys named in the indictment was his cousin. Guess not.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #179
Synovia
High School Varsity

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...20070717-2.pdf The indictment, for anyone interested.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #180
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

After reading that indictment, I now see why so many people think this is going to be really bad for Vick.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #181
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
After reading that indictment, I now see why so many people think this is going to be really bad for Vick.

Exactly, the indictment is WAY too specific. Its pretty clear that they have a assload of evidence here.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #182
Ksyrup

Peter King seems to think they will not suspend him unless/until he is convicted. Hard to believe the NFL is willing to endure 4-6 months of non-stop bad PR and constant reminders of this issue from PETA picketing, media coverage, and fan chants/boos.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #183
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...20070717-2.pdf The indictment, for anyone interested.

Wow.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #184
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Quote:
he suggested that the dogs removed from the land in April had been planted there by law enforcement officials
Good lord.

I was thinking the same thing. I can understand cops planting a gun on a suspect, or maybe a couple of drops of blood in a car, but multiple dogs? How do you plant dogs with nobody noticing? Or is it just a criminal reflex to blame planted evidence?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #185
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
I found this somewhat interesting

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
I figured it went without saying that the feds had rolled or would try to roll Vick's alleged co-conspirators to build a case against the head man.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #186
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Peter King seems to think they will not suspend him unless/until he is convicted. Hard to believe the NFL is willing to endure 4-6 months of non-stop bad PR and constant reminders of this issue from PETA picketing, media coverage, and fan chants/boos.

How often is Peter King right? 10% of the time? I think the falcons put him on "leave" for missing camp because of hearings, and he gets suspended as soon as the trial starts. Gets banned when he gets convicted (not that it matters, because hes going to spend a LOT of time in jail, with the RICO charges)
Old 07-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #187
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I am thinking the NFL would want the Falcons to act in some fashion before they (the NFL) acts.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #188
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Mortenson on ESPN said the same thing. I think these guys are all caught up in the "second offense" wording and are disregarding the new leeway the commish has (not to mention the gambling out).

I would be shocked if Vick isn't suspended for the season by the end of the month. Then, pending the results of the trial, they could levy and even heavier penalty if need be.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #189
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I am thinking the NFL would want the Falcons to act in some fashion before they (the NFL) acts.
IMO, it's the opposite. The NFL has an easy out: "We are suspending Michael Vick for the season. After the trial is over, we will revisit our decision."

Clean, simple and even if Vick ends up innocent of all charges (about 5% likely), the public would still be behind this decision.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #190
st.cronin
General Manager

My guess is the Falcons will try something like what the Dolphins did with Culpepper, keep cutting checks but tell Vick to stay home. Then, if he gets convicted, they release him at that point, and go get his signing bonus back.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:14 PM   #191
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
IMO, it's the opposite. The NFL has an easy out: "We are suspending Michael Vick for the season. After the trial is over, we will revisit our decision."

Clean, simple and even if Vick ends up innocent of all charges (about 5% likely), the public would still be behind this decision.

I think the problem is what if he's not found guilty? Then he was suspended for a season for nothing, and that's not fair either. Isn't the law "innocent until proven guilty?"
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #192
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I think the problem is what if he's not found guilty? Then he was suspended for a season for nothing, and that's not fair either. Isn't the law "innocent until proven guilty?"

Employment has nothing to do with a court of law. Employing Michael Vick is directly hurting the NFL's earnings. They could fire him right now, and be legally justified. Keeping him employed is going to cost them millions in advertising revenue, etc.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #193
Ksyrup

Quote:

It has very little to do with how a private business is run. Arles pointed to a great example earlier - Don Imus. There, all you're talking about is a guy making, at absolute worst, a racist comment, and at best, an ill-conceived joke. Fired. What makes Vick's situation any different? The Falcons and the NFL potentially stand to lose sponsors and fans because one of their employees has been linked to and charged with felonies. The only thing keeping them from "firing" Vick is salary cap considerations.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:31 PM   #194
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's not a matter of what criminal law says (and outside of the courtroom, how many people actually live up to that anyway), it's a matter of what the contract and CBA allow the NFL to do.

("Fairness" I suppose would enter into it in the sense of, it would be unfair to suspend him without pay if the charges should prove to be groundless. I'm not sure there's any reasonable probability of that happening, however.)

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #195
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

He would be suspended for "conduct detrimental to the league" or some such thing.
Innocent or guilty, he has given the NFL a huge black eye and that is what he would be suspended for.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #196
larrymcg421
Head Coach

If the Falcons released Vick, would any team have the nerve to sign him?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #197
Atocep
Coordinator

The smartest move for Atlanta at this point would probably be to give him a leave of absence to focus on his indictment. They're still paying him, but they don't have to deal with the NFLPA and it keeps the door open for the NFL to suspend him.

Basically, suspending him with pay until the league steps in.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #198
CraigSca
Pro Starter

They should trade him for Schaub
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #199
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

I wonder if this will affect his 99 speed in Madden. If so, then lock him up.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #200
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Poll shows Georgians split on Vick

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/18/07

Georgians are torn about what the Atlanta Falcons should do about star quarterback Michael Vick after his indictment Tuesday on dog-fighting charges, according to a new poll.

Atlanta-based InsiderAdvantage polled 859 people by telephone overnight Tuesday and found that 45.9 percent think the Falcons should release Vick. Another 45.7 percent said the team should keep him until a verdict is rendered. And 8.4 percent had no opinion.

The poll had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.
Whites were far more likely than blacks to think that Vick, who is African-American, should be dumped immediately. Among whites, 54.4 percent polled thought he should be released, 36.7 percent that he should stay until there was a verdict, and 8.9 percent had no opinion.

Among black respondents, only 26.6 percent thought he should be released, 65.6 percent said wait until the verdict, and 7.8 percent had no opinion.

About three-quarters of those polled listen to, watch or attend Falcons games, according to InsiderAdvantage, an Internet media and polling firm. However, there was little difference between the fans and non-fans polled about what the team should do. Among the fans, 46.8 percent thought he should be released. That result was 44.8 percent among non-fans.