Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #151
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
just got a stupid Eklund alert that the Bruins have fired the coach that looks like Hitler
If I was an NHL GM, I wouldn't hire Lewis just because of the moustache. I mean, think about it. If you had a moustache, how many people would have to point out that it made you look like Hitler before you shaved it? One? Maybe two? And yet here's a guy who everyone agrees has a Hitler moustache, and he's sticking with it. He must know what people say about it, but at some point he just said "No, I'm making a stand on this one, the moustache stays".

How could you trust his judgement on anything else? How?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #152
bbor
Pro Starter

Mukler gets fired?

What are they doing in Ottawa?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:03 PM   #153
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Mukler gets fired?

What are they doing in Ottawa?
The right thing, apparently.

Only took them three more years than it should have.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #154
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
The right thing, apparently.

Only took them three more years than it should have.

Sounds like Murray is gonna be the GM......Wil he coach too?

Odd to fire Mukler after he brought them to a Stanley cup final...no?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #155
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sounds like Murray is gonna be the GM......Wil he coach too?

Hey, if this follows Mirray's past pattern, Ottawa should be perfectly happy. He moved from coach to GM in Anaheim, and the very next year we started our three conference finals in four seasons (and we all know what happened this year).
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #156
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
He didn't bring them anywhere. Other than Heatley, this team was built by others. Muckler sat around and refused to improve them, always missing out on every big name. The Sens were arguably one player away from at least giving the Ducks a real series. Gary Roberts could have been that guy, or Bill Guerin, or Tkachuk, or whoever. Instead they got Oleg Saprykin. Heck, Marty Havlat could have been that player if Muckler hadn't dealt him away for a #6 defenceman just to prove a point.

I'm willing to bet that we'll find out there was a power struggle between Murray and Muckler, and Melnyk chose Murray. Definitely the right call.

Hm... how would Pat Quinn look in Ottawa?

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 06-17-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #157
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Hm... how would Pat Quinn look in Ottawa?

There would be riots in Toronto.

You think Murray won't coach anymore?

Old 06-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #158
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There would be riots in Toronto.

You think Murray won't coach anymore?

I think it depends on if Murray got his fill here in Ottawa. He left Anaheim for the chance to coach again. Ironically, Burke came on and lowballed Babcock, who left for Detroit. So we would have had an opening at head coach anyway.

Not that I mind that we ended up with Carlyle.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #159
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Agree both Pahlsson and Jay Pandolfo were more deserving than Rod. Not sure of the season ending numbers (maybe Pumpy can help us out?), but at one point in March or so, Pandolfo had 8 pim! That is ridiculous for a guy matching up against the opposition's top line every night.

Unfortunately, I think too many voters looked at offensive numbers too on this award.
Whoops, I was out of town all last week, so I didn't check the board. Jay Pandolfo virtually never takes penalties. It's really amazing that the guy gets matched up on one of his opponent's top players every night, and he does a hell of a job without going to the penalty box. In each of the past three seasons, he's played all 82 games. He's taken 38 penalty minutes... total. He'll only get you 20 or 25 points on the offensive side, but any points are a bonus. He still helps the Devils win games. I think John Madden may be learning something from him, too. Madden only took 14 PIM this year.

Oh, one last thing. As you said, Pandolfo was at 8 PIM at some point in March. He didn't take another penalty all season until Game 6 of the playoff series against Tampa. He took a penalty on February 14 against Montreal, and that was his last until April 22 at Tampa in the playoffs.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #160
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Flyers make a trade with Nashville

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers have dipped into the free agent market a little early, thanks to the Nashville Predators.

Because of Nashville's uncertain ownership future and an expected tight budget in the coming year, sources tell TSN the Predators arranged with the Flyers to give them exclusive negotiating rights to two coveted free agents - defenceman Kimmo Timonen and forward Scott Hartnell.

Sources tell TSN the Flyers have now signed both Hartnell and Timonen to long-term contracts.

Hartnell, who was scheduled to become a free agent on July 1, signed with Flyers on a 6-year, $25.2 million deal for a cap hit of $4.2 million per year.

The Flyers also agreed to terms with Timonen on a 6-year, $37.8 million contract for an annual cap hit of $6.3 million.

In exchange for giving up the rights to the two free agents the Predators knew they would not be able to sign, Nashville received back its own first round pick that it gave to the Flyers as part of the Peter Forsberg trade.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #161
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

that's a big trade, all right.

so, if I understand correctly, technically the Flyers aren't allowed to talk to Hartnell and Timonen until July 1st unless their rights are traded. Obviously, they had to have been having some talks with the pair, as the trade and signings are being annouced at the same time.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #162
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Flyers make a trade with Nashville

Huh. A very interesting deal. I can't say I've seen anything like it. A great deal for the Flyers. Hartnell and Timonen are good, young players. Hartnell should fit in well in Philadelphia. That said, both contracts seem a bit steeper than I would be comfortable. $4.2 million for Hartnell is about $1 million - $700K above where I would have been happy with and pretty much the same would go for Timonen's deal, I'd like to see it about $1 million below that.

It's interesting... I am in the middle of a Strat-O-Matic Hockey league and where I'm the coach/GM of Nashville and I just traded Hartnell and Timonen last week to Carolina for Erik Cole and Aaron Ward. It was destined to be.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #163
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

For perspective, Pronger counts $6.25 million a year against the cap. While he's really one of the top bargains in the NHL (after Zetterberg perhaps), Timonen is not worth that kind of money.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #164
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
For perspective, Pronger counts $6.25 million a year against the cap. While he's really one of the top bargains in the NHL (after Zetterberg perhaps), Timonen is not worth that kind of money.

but I don't think that there is much doubt that either guy would be getting paid this offseason. there's a lot of money to be had out there. I would have taken Hartnell in the $3 m range. Timonen I knew would be above 6 (and therefore too overpaid). somewhere, Tom Poti's agent is looking at new yachts.

here's my thing: you're Hartnell and Timonen. you've gotten a big offer from the Flyers. yay. In 2 more weeks, you are going to have offers from other teams. Maybe even get teams involved in a bidding war. It's not like no one else is going to have interest. I assume the Timonen on the Flyers is related to Kimmo, so maybe that's where he wants to go anyway...but geez, guys, why not just wait until July 1st and see what your options are. I would think the chance of you NOT getting at least what the Flyers offers to be slim.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #165
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Hartnell, who was scheduled to become a free agent on July 1, signed with Flyers on a 6-year, $25.2 million deal for a cap hit of $4.2 million per year.

The Flyers also agreed to terms with Timonen on a 6-year, $37.8 million contract for an annual cap hit of $6.3 million.

holy expensive!

whats their cap situation? does this take them out of the running for one of the top 3 centers?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #166
Travis
Pro Rookie

All depends on what the cap is raised to as well as to what they can still go out and do. That said, Philly just resigned Niittymaki, but don't they also still have Biron and Pitkanen to try and reup as well?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #167
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Before this deal they had 19 million to spend.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #168
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
All depends on what the cap is raised to as well as to what they can still go out and do. That said, Philly just resigned Niittymaki, but don't they also still have Biron and Pitkanen to try and reup as well?

They already signed Biron but not Pitkanen.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #169
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

if nhlnumbers is correct, this will put them around $42 million.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #170
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
We're only about seven or eight similar signings away from the Bryan McCabe deal seeming reasonable.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #171
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
We're only about seven or eight similar signings away from the Bryan McCabe deal seeming reasonable.

with Scott Hannan and Sheldon Souray still on the board, even

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 06-18-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #172
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So, based on the TSN article and this trade, it looks like Nasvhille is switching gears and is going into "cost saving" mode.

They don't have Forsberg or any of the assets (other than their first round pick this year) that they traded for him, Hartnell and Timonen are gone, Kariya is an UFA and after these moves it's likely he wont be back or Nashville wont be willing or able to match his offers, which means that Nashville takes a step back.

That makes an already weak division all the weaker. It could also mean that there will be just one more crap ass team Wings' fans get the pleasure of watching 8 times a year.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #173
Simms
FOBL Commish

I saw one writer over the weekend refer to it as "scorched earth" ... a la the '98 Marlins or the Indians from Major League.

Certainly, saving money while the ownership question is in limbo is a part of it, but it seems that that it also has the (intentional) side benefit of diluting the product, dropping ticket sales, and therefore making it easier to get out of their lease with the city in a year or two.

Last edited by Simms : 06-18-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #174
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
So, based on the TSN article and this trade, it looks like Nasvhille is switching gears and is going into "cost saving" mode.

They don't have Forsberg or any of the assets (other than their first round pick this year) that they traded for him, Hartnell and Timonen are gone, Kariya is an UFA and after these moves it's likely he wont be back or Nashville wont be willing or able to match his offers, which means that Nashville takes a step back.

That makes an already weak division all the weaker. It could also mean that there will be just one more crap ass team Wings' fans get the pleasure of watching 8 times a year.

It also means the Predators will be in Hamilton in 08-09.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #175
GMO
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMO View Post
Muckler, the 73-year old GM of the Senators should go, but he has one year left in his contract.

And he's gone.
GMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:12 PM   #176
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

There are strange rumors going around Ottawa today that Muckler is actually much older than 73. Not sure what to make of that.

Also, there's a strong rumor that one of the Sens star players (not Redden) has a serious cocaine habit. The word is that the local police have bent over backwards for the guy, but it's got to the point where the next time he steps out of line they may need to nail him. Roy Mlakar has been calling in favors for the guy, the story goes, but he may be out of chances.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #177
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Geez, an NHL player with a coke habit?

Who woulda thunkit.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #178
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
There are strange rumors going around Ottawa today that Muckler is actually much older than 73. Not sure what to make of that.

Also, there's a strong rumor that one of the Sens star players (not Redden) has a serious cocaine habit. The word is that the local police have bent over backwards for the guy, but it's got to the point where the next time he steps out of line they may need to nail him. Roy Mlakar has been calling in favors for the guy, the story goes, but he may be out of chances.

Heatley? Comrie? Vermette?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #179
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Also, there's a strong rumor that one of the Sens star players (not Redden) has a serious cocaine habit. The word is that the local police have bent over backwards for the guy, but it's got to the point where the next time he steps out of line they may need to nail him.

There are a lot of players in the NHL with serious cocaine habits.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #180
bbor
Pro Starter

It's too bad that you have to dismantle a hockey team in order to relocate it.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #181
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's too bad that you have to dismantle a hockey team in order to relocate it.

Unless you're the Nordiques...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:11 PM   #182
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Comrie? Vermette?

He said star players!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #183
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just saw that Brett Hull is not coming back to NBC. He's going to take a more active front office role with the Dallas Stars.

Good and good.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #184
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Unless you're the Nordiques...

Yeah, and then you hand over an almost Stanley Cup team.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #185
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I just saw that Brett Hull is not coming back to NBC. He's going to take a more active front office role with the Dallas Stars.

Good and good.

That's the best news I've heard all day. Now we can go a broadcast without him trying to say his toe wasn't in the crease.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #186
Pyser
Pro Rookie

wow. jiggy back to the ducks, 4 yr, 24 m.

i dont know why, but i never saw it coming.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:10 PM   #187
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
wow. jiggy back to the ducks, 4 yr, 24 m.

i dont know why, but i never saw it coming.

A good deal for Jiggy and the Ducks. Given his performance over the last few years, in particular, in the playoffs, he earned that kind of money. I would have to imagine they'd want to trade Bryzgalov now/he'd want to be traded.

The Ducks are really in a good place right not capwise. They have a few cap friendly deals and the core of their team is a bunch of a younger guys, many who are still in their first, very cheap, contracts. It's scary to think about, but this team is likely only to get better.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #188
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
A good deal for Jiggy and the Ducks. Given his performance over the last few years, in particular, in the playoffs, he earned that kind of money. I would have to imagine they'd want to trade Bryzgalov now/he'd want to be traded.

The Ducks are really in a good place right not capwise. They have a few cap friendly deals and the core of their team is a bunch of a younger guys, many who are still in their first, very cheap, contracts. It's scary to think about, but this team is likely only to get better.

Just wait until Ryan is suiting up for them next year, talk about a nice situation for him to be walking into.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:03 PM   #189
bhlloy
Coordinator

Great news for the Ducks. He was making all the right noises about coming back, but you still never know.

The big news right now is that Scott Niedermayer has told Brian Burke that he is considering retiring. That would be a complete disaster for our chances of repeating.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #190
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The big news right now is that Scott Niedermayer has told Brian Burke that he is considering retiring. That would be a complete disaster for our chances of repeating.
Eklund reported several days ago that Niedermayer retiring was a done deal.

So, that's good news for Ducks fans, at least.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:47 PM   #191
st.cronin
General Manager

Question: Is there any reason for optimism in Boston? I'm pretty close to giving up.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:02 AM   #192
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Question: Is there any reason for optimism in Boston? I'm pretty close to giving up.

Only that you are not a Blackhawks fan. Ugh!
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #193
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Just talked to my season ticket rep and she's getting us lower bowl seats for tonight, so I'll have a much closer view to the stage and floor and I will be able to take pictures. Anybody have any certain team/prospect they would like me to take pictures for when they come up (or any other type of pictures)?
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:33 AM   #194
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Just talked to my season ticket rep and she's getting us lower bowl seats for tonight, so I'll have a much closer view to the stage and floor and I will be able to take pictures. Anybody have any certain team/prospect they would like me to take pictures for when they come up (or any other type of pictures)?

If the Oilers keep any of their picks, and shots would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #195
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

happy to see any Avalanche picks.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #196
Travis
Pro Rookie

Any predictions on draft day deals? I'm still quite optimistic that the Oilers get something done for Pitkanen or Redden (preferably the former) and curious to see if the rumors about them making a deal to get Gomez's rights so they can try and sign him before he hits free agency come to pass. Now if they make a run at Richards, well, it'd be great so long as they cap number does in fact go up...
Old 06-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #197
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

there's always the Monkeys With Typewriters principle. Someday, they'll get it right by accident.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #198
bbor
Pro Starter

Toskula to the leafs for 3 draft picks.

Bye bye Razor.....

Old 06-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #199
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Toskula to the leafs for 3 draft picks.

Bye bye Razor.....

I assume you are kidding (half-kidding, because this is the Leafs). I wonder if a few goalies will find new homes this weekend. Toskala, Bryzgalov, Fernandez...all guys that are supposed to be on the trade market right now. With Giguere coming off the market - basically leaving Mathieu Garon as the big "get" on the FA market - it would seem to be time for all the other dominoes to start falling.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #200
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I assume you are kidding (half-kidding, because this is the Leafs). I wonder if a few goalies will find new homes this weekend. Toskala, Bryzgalov, Fernandez...all guys that are supposed to be on the trade market right now. With Giguere coming off the market - basically leaving Mathieu Garon as the big "get" on the FA market - it would seem to be time for all the other dominoes to start falling.

I'm not kidding DD.....it's gonna be announced soon.