Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Gah! Damn you, Karl!

I saw you lurking in the thread.....I knew my time was limited
Old 06-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #153
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Just saw the latest mock draft at www.nbadraft.net. Has the Lakers picking up another athletic stud project type big man in Jason Smith, and two Euro "who are they" bigs with their two second rounders.

lol...if that happens, Kupchak is going to need police protection from Kobe.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #154
miami_fan
Coordinator

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2912075

Quote:
The proposed trade that would have sent Kevin Garnett to Boston, agreed to in principle by ex-teammates Kevin McHale and Danny Ainge, was taken off the table Thursday after Garnett got word to the Celtics that he doesn't want to play for them.

Garnett, according to sources close to the situation, is hoping for a trade to the Phoenix Suns if he has to leave the only team he has ever played for.

"The Boston trade isn't happening," Garnett's agent, Andy Miller, told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan. "If a trade were to happen, that's not a destination that we're interested in pursuing."

It appears that Wolves management -- McHale and owner Glen Taylor -- is prepared for the first time to make a deal that would end the Garnett Era in Minneapolis after 12 seasons. Taylor, according to Wolves sources, has informed Garnett directly of that change in philosophy.

But Garnett will have a stronger-than-usual say in the destination if he is indeed moved before next season because of the ability to opt of his contract in the summer of 2008 and become a free agent just over a year from now if he forfeits his $23 million salary in 2008-09.

Without at least a strong indication that Garnett would be willing to sign an extension with the Celtics, Ainge would be parting with virtually every enticing trade chip Boston has for what amounts to a one-year rental.

Which pieces? The latest incarnation of the deal, according to sources, would have required the Celtics to send blossoming forward Al Jefferson, its No. 5 overall pick in next Thursday's draft and Theo Ratliff's cap-friendly contract in addition to Wolves alumnus Wally Szczerbiak and troubled guard Sebastian Telfair in exchange for Garnett and Wolves guard Troy Hudson.

"This would be a major trade that would affect a franchise and those in the organization, so you better be sure [he wants to be there long term]," said Miller, who informed the Wolves and Celtics late Wednesday that his client had no interest in playing for Boston.

Garnett rejected the move even though it would put him in the easier-to-conquer Eastern Conference and even though he is said to be friendly with Celtics star Paul Pierce.

Garnett has said for years that he doesn't want to leave his beloved "Sota" and has consistently refused to push for a trade.

Yet he is bracing for a trade now, after hearing of Taylor's new stance, which is said to have only increased his growing frustration with Taylor and McHale.

And Garnett, sources say, wants to move to a warm-weather city and a team that can claim legitimate championship potential.

All of which should help explain why the Suns are No. 1 on his list.

Another big factor: Garnett and Suns guard Steve Nash, sources say, have become good friends over the past few years, starting in 2005 when Garnett was one of the first players in the league to call Nash and congratulate him on his first MVP trophy.

The Wolves and Suns have also discussed a Garnett trade. The Wolves, though, naturally want to trade Garnett out of their conference if they can.

If it has to deal with the Suns -- given the strong possibility Garnett won't sanction a move elsewhere -- Minnesota is expected to demand that Phoenix part with Amare Stoudemire in the exchange, as well as a first-round pick from Atlanta in the 2008 draft that is fully unprotected.

It's considered unlikely that a Suns package built around Shawn Marion and that draft pick would be enough to pry Garnett away. Complicating matters further, Marion also has the right to become a free agent after the 2007-08 season and has also let it be known that he doesn't want to play in Minnesota or Boston, sources say. That stance quickly killed the possibility of a three-way deal involving Minnesota, Phoenix and Boston.

The Suns, meanwhile, are understandably hesitant to part with Stoudemire and have tried unsuccessfully to strike a deal without giving him up. Even though Garnett would certainly help Phoenix in the short term by supplying an instant boost of veteran savvy, while also likely improving team chemistry and addressing their biggest weakness -- matching up with San Antonio's Tim Duncan -- Stoudemire is only 24 and would appear to have limitless potential after making the most high-flying comeback from microfracture knee surgery that the league has ever seen.

Although Miller declined to specify a team when asked where Garnett would prefer to be dealt -- "Too early," he said -- it's believed that Phoenix will increase its efforts between now and Thursday's draft to assembling a Stoudemire-less package to satisfy Minnesota's requirements, perhaps by pulling in another team or two.

Or perhaps they'll reverse course and surrender Stoudemire, which would finally lead to a real Garnett deal after ceaseless KG trade speculation over the past several years.

Garnett has "a good handle on the possibility of being traded," Miller said. "Kevin is an extremely loyal person, and loyalty is not a common factor among pro athletes, but in this situation he understands he has to put his long-term considerations ahead of the Minnesota Timberwolves' long-term considerations."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #155
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

LOL @ Boston
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #156
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow, I can't imagine someone turning down the Celtics 20 years ago. How quickly things change.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #157
molson
General Manager

Ainge has no plan at all. It's desperation time.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #158
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Unfortunately, it's desperation time in Minnesota too.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:20 PM   #159
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post

Dont forget LA!
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:26 PM   #160
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post

Indeed. The T'Wolves have to move Garnett. The Celtics with him would be better than the T'Wolves now so you know Garnett is looking at opting out in 2 years and probably going to whatever contender can pay him the most.

Next offseason it hits a point where teams know they have to move him, so right now is when they'll probably get the most for him. Otherwise they'll either end up holding onto him and getting nothing or trading him to the Knicks for 6 or 7 small forwards.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #161
Izulde
Head Coach

Wow, the Celtics have really hit rock bottom

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:49 AM   #162
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I thought ONE of his plans was to kick out the crummy old bums who were here, acquire new young talent, and trade the surplus talent for a sidekick to Pierce and roleplayers. While trading Jefferson for Garnett may be desperation, trading the #5, Theo, Green, and others for quality vets doesn't seem like a bad move.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:47 AM   #163
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I think that whoever picks Yi from this draft is going to be pleasantly surprised. But that's just the Chinese in me talking. :P
Old 06-22-2007, 05:14 AM   #164
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think trading Al would be a big mistake, and the Celtics would regret it a ton. Garnett is an all world player still, but Al's like 22 or 23, and he still has a ton of room to improve.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #165
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Wasn't he supposed to be creating a team that played an up tempo fast break style of basketball?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 06-22-2007 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #166
rkmsuf
Head Coach

they should find a way to send Garnett to Memphis

or the Czech Republic

always thought that guy was a gigantic asshat
Old 06-22-2007, 09:54 AM   #167
rkmsuf
Head Coach

dola, Marion said the same thing about not wanting to go to Boston.

someone throw a towel in Ainge's face.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #168
Atocep
Coordinator

There's a rumor floating around that Garnett is pushing hard for a trade to Phoenix, but if that doesn't happen he'll seriously consider accepting a trade to Boston.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #170
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

oh god I hope Phoenix doesn't trade Marion for Jamison. That would be awful for them imo.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #171
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
The second is Jamison to Phoenix for Marion. I'd do that one as well since Les Balles need something in the post and Marion may be able to better fit that in Jordan's offense.

In the East Valley trib:
Quote:
Asked about a report of the Suns trading Marion for Jamison, the Washington Wizards’ high-scoring small forward, Suns vice president David Griffin said: “We never had a conversation with them, ever, about anything like that. Completely asinine.”

There is no chance that deal happens.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:50 PM   #172
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
And apparently Artest and Bonzi are tight, so if we brought him in Bonzi would probably stick around for his second year...

Well, we haven't picked up Artest yet, but Bonzi is indeed coming back...

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1415/..._with_rockets/

Bonzi Wells opting to stay with Rockets
Bonzi Wells will return to the Rockets for the 2007-08 season, his agent told local Fox 26 late Saturday night.

"Bonzi has sent in the necessary paperwork and he is opting in and he will play for the Rockets this coming season," said Bonzi's agent Bill Duffy.

The 6-foot-5, 210 pound (cough) guard was a disaster last season in Houston as he seemed to dunk more donuts than basketballs. He came to camp out of shape, had run-ins with coach Jeff Van Gundy and staff and never could work his way in to the rotation consistently.

Bonzi also quit the Rockets with just 5 games remaining until the playoffs, doing it via text message to Rockets trainer Keith Jones. So it's been a little surprising to see management gushing about how hopeful they are of his return.

At the same time, at a cost of around $2.3 million for a potential strong rotation player, it's hard to blame them.

This season could be different for Wells. New Rockets coach Rick Adelman was Bonzi's coach in Sacramento when the guard averaged 13.6 points on over 46% shooting to go with 7.7 boards. Adelman could find ways to get Wells more involved, which was more difficult to do under Van Gundy's system, which placed a premium on three-point shooting.

"Basically last year was an incomplete year for Bonzi," said Duffy. "He feels very strongly about Rick Adelman. He feels the Rockets are a championship caliber team especially with the addition of Mike James."

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:11 PM   #173
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
"Basically last year was an incomplete year for Bonzi," said Duffy. "He feels very strongly about Rick Adelman. He feels the Rockets are a championship caliber team especially with the addition of Mike James." [/i]

Oh dear. Did Duffy just equate Mike James with an NBA championship?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #174
miami_fan
Coordinator

Trade Rumor Alert!

Lakers get:
Kevin Garnett

Pacers get:
Andrew Bynum
LaMar Odom

Celtics get:
Jermaine O'Neal

The T-Wolves would get the #5 pick and a combination of the following but not limited to:
The #19 pick from the Lakers
Kwame Brown (exp. contract)
Theo Ratliff (exp. contract)
Al Jefferson
Other spare parts from Boston(Sebastian Telfair etc.)

It sounds like Kevin McHale is holding all the cards in this trade. If he can get the #5 and Al Jefferson plus the expiring contracts, I'll take back half of the bad stuff I said about him in the past.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #175
st.cronin
General Manager

Al Jefferson for Jermaine O'Neal? /vomit

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #176
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Al Jefferson for Jermaine O'Neal? /vomit

Chad Ford mentioned Gerald Green and #5 for JO...which is FAR more appealing, I can't fathom Ainge trading Jefferson and #5 for JO.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #177
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Lakers get:
Kevin Garnett

Pacers get:
Andrew Bynum
LaMar Odom

Celtics get:
Jermaine O'Neal

The T-Wolves would get the #5 pick and a combination of the following but not limited to:
The #19 pick from the Lakers
Kwame Brown (exp. contract)
Theo Ratliff (exp. contract)
Al Jefferson
Other spare parts from Boston(Sebastian Telfair etc.)

It sounds like Kevin McHale is holding all the cards in this trade. If he can get the #5 and Al Jefferson plus the expiring contracts, I'll take back half of the bad stuff I said about him in the past.

Have Boston send back the Wolves pick they own and have someone take Jaric and Hudson and it's a possibility.

What would really make the offseason is regardless of whether or not this trade happens is the Wolves pull the trigger on the reported deal to get rid of Ricky Avis.

Last edited by mckerney : 06-25-2007 at 05:11 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #178
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Chad Ford mentioned Gerald Green and #5 for JO...which is FAR more appealing, I can't fathom Ainge trading Jefferson and #5 for JO.

Why would McHale trade Garnett in order to get back Green? They already have too many guards.

Although we are talking about Kevin McHale
Old 06-25-2007, 05:16 PM   #179
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Why would McHale trade Garnett in order to get back Green? They already have too many guards.

Although we are talking about Kevin McHale

No way should the wolves do this and get Green. If they're making a deal with picking up players from the Celtics, landing Jefferson should be a must.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #180
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
No way should the wolves do this and get Green. If they're making a deal with picking up players from the Celtics, landing Jefferson should be a must.

And trading Jefferson and #5 for JO is absolutely absurd...so I can't see this working either way.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #181
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
And trading Jefferson and #5 for JO is absolutely absurd...so I can't see this working either way.

As would be trading Garnett and getting the #5, #19, and Green.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #182
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Prediction, in 3 months:

KG will be a T-Wolve
Kobe will be a Laker
Jermaine O'Neal will be a Pacer
Al Jefferson will be a Celtic
Amare will be a Sun

Old 06-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #183
Groundhog
Coordinator

Arlie, Suns are working out Brewer and Noah tomorrow? Trade in the works?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #184
Groundhog
Coordinator

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...s_N.htm?csp=34

Quote:
China's Yi brings wow factor to NBA draft
By David Leon Moore, USA TODAY

LOS ANGELES — Yi Jianlian (pronounced yee chon-len), the likely top-10 NBA draft pick from China, is billed as the next Yao Ming, but don't be fooled.
He's 7 feet tall, 247 pounds and quite an athlete, more akin to a power or small forward than a center such as the Houston Rockets' Yao at 7-6, 310.

Yi is quicker, faster and much springier. He's an excellent shooter up to 18-20 feet and can hit three-pointers, too.

Ahead of Thursday's NBA draft he has worked out informally for and with a variety of veteran basketball people not affiliated with particular teams, and he has universally wowed them. Respected observers such as Pete Newell, Kiki Vandeweghe and Don MacLean have watched Yi up close, and they think he can be an immediate starter or major contributor.

Newell, the legendary Hall of Fame coach who has run the Big Man Camp for years, had Yi there four years ago. He renewed acquaintances last month, watching Yi work out at UCLA.

"Yi will end up being the best player in the NBA from China, and I know that's saying a lot," Newell, 91, says. "He has much more body control than Yao, and he's a much better jumper. I'm real high on him, and I think I'm right."

Yi has the full attention of teams with high picks in Thursday's draft. He worked out for the Atlanta Hawks (Nos. 3 and 11 picks), Boston Celtics (No. 5), Chicago Bulls (No. 9), Sacramento Kings (No. 10), Philadelphia 76ers (No. 12), Los Angeles Clippers (No. 14) and Golden State Warriors (No. 18).

ESPN analyst Vandeweghe, the former NBA player and Denver Nuggets general manager, says he was "blown away" by the Yi workouts he saw last month.

"What I didn't realize was how athletic he is," Vandeweghe says. "I've worked out big players for more than 20 years, and I compare Yi very favorably to when I first" worked out with Dirk Nowitzki."

Broadcaster MacLean, the former UCLA star and NBA forward, worked with Yi for a week recently.

"People say, 'Oh, he's good for a Chinese player.' No, he's good for good," MacLean says.

Yi, working out the past two months in Los Angeles, where his agent is based, still must prove he can mix it up inside, be a solid rebounder or capably defend the post. Then again, he's just 19.

His biggest promoters say he is not the next Yao, but The Next Generation — a Chinese player who can run and jump and dunk with a flourish.

Yi likes Yao personally but says he does not like the on-court comparisons to him. "Different positions," he says in English. "He's a center. He's very tall. I am not tall like that. I play the power forward. I can play some center, but it's not my favorite position."

Yi has a delightful personality, quick to smile, eager to please. He has been popular around L.A., taking in big Hollywood premieres of the new installments of the Pirates of the Caribbean and Shrek films.

He did two interviews for this story, one in slow, halting, basic English, another, much livelier, in Mandarin, with an interpreter. He takes English lessons daily. Every night, he has a one-on-one session with a tutor. How's it going?

"OK," he says in English, shaking his head. "It's very hard."

But he does not, apparently, scare easily.

"Yes, I have been driving," Yi says, chuckling.

On the freeways?

"Yes," he says, his eyes widening.

So far, no accidents, no tickets, no big deal.

"It's not so different," he says. "Driving in China is hard, too."

Questions remain

NBA teams are less interested in how he drives the L.A. freeways than in how he drives the lane against the likes of Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett or Nowitzki.

Despite all the praise, he might be the biggest mystery in the draft. Some NBA teams have scouted him in the Chinese Basketball Association, where he led his Guangdong Tigers to three championships in four seasons.

He has an international track record, too, but it is spotty. He played only sparingly alongside Yao in the 2004 Olympics, averaging about three points and three rebounds.

Yi was more of a factor last year at the World Championships in Japan, averaging 6.2 points and 5.7 rebounds. He had a respectable showing against Dwight Howard, Elton Brand and the U.S. team, finishing with 13 points and seven rebounds in 24 minutes in a game the USA won in a rout.

His athleticism and potential are intriguing, although it's difficult to tell how that will translate to the NBA without seeing him regularly against high-caliber competition.

MacLean says it's a legitimate concern.

"I watched him on tape and saw him play in a couple games in that Chinese league," he says. "It would be like me playing against sixth-graders. One game he had like 42 points and 15 rebounds and 38 of them must have been dunks.

"You're taking a chance picking him real high without seeing him against guys who are going to play in the NBA."

Yi has strong, muscular legs, is lean in the belly and thin in the upper body and arms. He has worked off and on for nearly a year with strength and conditioning coach Joe Abunassar, who has trained such NBA players as Garnett, Chauncey Billups and Baron Davis.

Abunassar says Yi has less than 4% body fat, a vertical leap of 361/2 inches and can run the floor as fast as a lot of guards.

"He's at the top end of every kind of test for speed, strength and agility," Abunassar says. "I've rarely seen a guy with his athleticism and work ethic."

Four years ago, Yi got permission from Chinese officials to attend Newell's camp in Las Vegas. Yao had just finished his rookie season. Yi, then 15, was dreaming of following Yao to the NBA.

Last month, when Newell saw Yi work out at UCLA, Yi at one point executed a quick spin move that caught Newell's eye.

"Who in China taught you that move?" Newell asked Yi.

"You did," Yi said, smiling. "In Las Vegas."

Bottom line, MacLean says, is that Yi "should be a good power forward who can really step out. Nobody's going to ask him to get 25 (points) and 12 (rebounds) or be an immediate All-Star.

"But he's big enough and skilled enough to be a contributor and be a starter right away."

No contact in practice

Yi will be the fourth NBA player from China, but his agent, Dan Fegan, said he did not know how Yi's contract would be negotiated with the Chinese government. Yao, Wang Zhizhi and Menke Bateer had to give part of their salaries to the government.

Fegan has been protective of Yi on and off the court. He has allowed only a few interviews.

Yi has been staying in an apartment in Westwood, near the UCLA campus. His father, Yi Jinglin, 50, and mother, Mai Meiling, 49, are staying in a nearby apartment and will stay here until the draft. They are retired postal workers.

"They didn't need a job, so they just relax," says Yi, who has drawn a salary from his club team (around $250,000) and income from an endorsement deal with Nike — "a pittance," Fegan says.

Yi hasn't played in any pickup games in L.A., although the area is full of good runs with talented college and pro players.

"That's too dangerous," Fegan says. "Someone is always going to want to prove himself. It's a recipe for injury."

So Yi works day after day on his shooting, post moves, agility, strength — mostly against no one. On a typical day recently at the UCLA gym he worked out for about an hour on a court separated by a curtain from pickup games.

His mother and an official from his Chinese team sat on the baseline, expressionless, while a coach fed Yi for shot after shot, occasionally giving him pointers on his release or trying to get more leg in his shot. His father crouched on the far sideline, expressionless.

A week later, Yi held a formal workout for the Kings at Home Depot Center in Carson, about 20 miles southeast of the UCLA campus. Yi put on quite a show, hitting shots from all over, polishing off post moves with strong dunks, stroking three-pointers, running the court and finishing high above the rim.

What did Geoff Petrie, Kings president of basketball operations, think of it all?

"Good, for what you're allowed to do in these workouts," he said.

Fegan and Yi's parents say Yi is really is 19, although stories for several years suggest his age was doctored by the Chinese basketball federation, and he might be 22.

"I don't think anyone is worried about his age," Petrie says. "You're looking at whether or not the guy's a real good basketball player."

Less than a week before a monumental day for him, Yi says he is not nervous or afraid about what NBA clubs are thinking.

"I have talked to Yao, and he tells me you have to be aggressive and mentally strong," Yi says. "Some people have told me to be prepared for a little bit of a rocky start, so I am preparing as well as I can for that. I know I have to get stronger.

"But everything has gone well here in my training and my workouts. I am not really surprised. I think I have a good sense of what the competition will be like, and I know what I am capable of doing. I think I am ready."

I think this article does a good case of spelling out the pros and cons of taking this guy. Unless everybody is just getting ahead of themselves it sounds like Yi is more athletic than I first thought, and it looks like he does indeed have a nice shooting stroke out to three as it's been said.

However, he hasn't worked out against anybody, and that to me is a danger sign. He's hardly been dominant on the national team, and there are plenty of guys who look impressive in warm-ups before the game - nailing every shot, and throwing down big slams - who struggle to do the same during games. It's just too hard to tell from a non-contact workout what kind of a player he'll be in games, especially considering the "quality" of players he's been going up against in China.

My opinion of him has raised from a high-risk medium-payout to a medium-risk high-payout over the past week or so thanks to articles like this one, but I still don't know how happy I'd be if my team selected him higher than #10. I think there are enough other lower-risk high-payout guys around in the top 10 to pass on Yi.

Still, I'm sure he'll end up in the 5-9 range.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #185
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

I think this article does a good case of spelling out the pros and cons of taking this guy. Unless everybody is just getting ahead of themselves it sounds like Yi is more athletic than I first thought, and it looks like he does indeed have a nice shooting stroke out to three as it's been said.

However, he hasn't worked out against anybody, and that to me is a danger sign. He's hardly been dominant on the national team, and there are plenty of guys who look impressive in warm-ups before the game - nailing every shot, and throwing down big slams - who struggle to do the same during games. It's just too hard to tell from a non-contact workout what kind of a player he'll be in games, especially considering the "quality" of players he's been going up against in China.

My opinion of him has raised from a high-risk medium-payout to a medium-risk high-payout over the past week or so thanks to articles like this one, but I still don't know how happy I'd be if my team selected him higher than #10. I think there are enough other lower-risk high-payout guys around in the top 10 to pass on Yi.

Still, I'm sure he'll end up in the 5-9 range.

I've liked him what I've seen and heard of him (I've seen 2 videos of his workouts). For some reason every foreign player has a bust aura around them when they've actually been just as safe, if not more safe, than the American players drafted. He's going to be a 3 at first and probably ease into the 4 as he gets a bit older. The biggest knock on him is there's no way he's really 19, he's closer to 22, but scouts and GMs don't seem to worried about it. I think the "Chinese Brad Lohaus" tag Bill Simmons gave him came from him being pissed off that the Celtics aren't getting Oden or Durant.

I've read that a lot of the bad press about him is stuff from teams that are pissed because he wouldn't work out for them. Ainge and the other GMs that got to work him out say that they got to work him out however they wanted, were able to interview him, and saw what they wanted from him.

He didn't dominate in China, but the culture there is to defer to the American on the team. Yao went through the same transition when he came over here. He did look very good when China played the US team, so I wouldn't be worried about his talent, its more about being patient as he learns to play more aggresively.

If my team were drafting in the 5-6 range, I'd love to see them take him. I'd actually say he's a safer pick than Brandon Wright. I'd definitely take him over Conley, Noah, and Hawes.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #186
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
If my team were drafting in the 5-6 range, I'd love to see them take him. I'd actually say he's a safer pick than Brandon Wright. I'd definitely take him over Conley, Noah, and Hawes.

I'd take him higher than Noah and Hawes (neither of whom I'm very fond of as NBA prospects - especially Hawes), but I don't think I'd pass on Conley for Yi.

Speaking of Hawes, draftexpress had a "by the numbers" feature on the centers in the draft the other day, and boy did he come out looking underwhelming. I've never seen the guy play in college but even before seeing that article I'd been doing a lot of reading on the guy, and I just fail to see what makes him such a better prospect than a guy like Nick Fazekas, outside of an inch or two of height and a couple of years of age.

Hawes has all the makings of a lightweight finesse C that will struggle against NBA pivots IMO, where as at least Fazekas hits the boards. They both have similar offensive games, yet Fazekas sounds a lot more polished, and will probably get picked 20 picks later.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #187
miami_fan
Coordinator

We have discussed Yi before here and IMO the question remains the same. Which GM has enough confidence in his scouting and his ability to evaluate talent to pick Yi and take the initial criticism that their fan base will barrage them with. Fair or not, most NBA fans are not going to be as quick to trust the GM after Darko. Especially if that team bypasses a player that fanbase drooled over during March Madness.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #188
NYFAN
High School JV

Here is the thing. Nobody can predict how this guy is going to do.

Yi's strengths:
Athletic
Highly Skilled
Tall

Yi's weaknesses:
Needs to get stronger
Has never performed against athletes that are equally athletic and tall
Has never performed against athletes that are equally athletic and stronger
(note... by perform I mean compete and be successful - which he wasn't in international competition)

What will determine whether or not he succeeds?
#1 - Mental toughness (this is a very over used phrase, and a very misunderstood phrase by the common fan - but Yi needs to have it to succeed)

#2 - Work ethic

Unfortunately these two things are just about impossible to measure. There is no way to accurately measure mental toughness, especially when you are talking about transplanting a young person from one culture to another on top of the mental demands of competing at an entirely new level. Even a well prepared, mentally tough individual is being set up to fail in this situation.

Work ethic? You can ask references, watch him practice etc... but there is no way to get a true measure. References can have alternative motives. He can change behaviors while you are watching. It is very hard, if not possible, to judge this. Add in factors like receiving a new, huge contract, being placed in a very lavish lifestyle etc... and it becomes even harder.

How this guy does is a complete guess. He could be Maceij (sp?) Lampe, "Niki" (not even going to try and spell that guy's name), or he could be Dirk. It's impossible to tell.

I think if I'm an NBA GM I ask myself this question... How good is my team now? If I need one "solid" piece I don't take the risk. Then I ask myself what is my salary cap situation? If it's dismal then I need to take a risk, and go for that super mega star - if it's really good, maybe I try and get a 2nd tier player in hopes of luring a more stable super star in a year or two. Then I ask myself do I have market appeal? If you don't, Yi is attractive once again. So basically, if I'm a really bad franchise (see Celtics, Hawks, etc...) I take the gamble - it can't hurt. Nobody else has the huge upside, and I'm never going to lure a LeBron type player to Atlanta because the franchise has been so bad. If I'm the Bulls? I probably pass.

"It was me against the world, but it made me strong" -Sprewell
NYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:32 PM   #189
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Arlie, Suns are working out Brewer and Noah tomorrow? Trade in the works?
it appears the Suns are targeting someone with a pick in the top 10. the rumored deal is Phoenix's #24 this season and the Atlanta pick in 2008 (plus maybe their own in 08) to move up. The rumored teams are Boston, Charlotte, memphis and maybe Sacramento.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #190
Atocep
Coordinator

Sounds like a 3-team deal involving Garnett going to Phoenix, Amare going to Atlanta, and Minnesota getting a bunch of draft picks and maybe a couple spare parts has been ok'd by both Phoenix and Minnesota. Its comes down to whether Atlanta is ok with adding payroll, which is in no way a given.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #191
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Prediction, in 3 months:

KG will be a T-Wolve
Kobe will be a Laker
Jermaine O'Neal will be a Pacer
Al Jefferson will be a Celtic
Amare will be a Sun

Arles understands how the NBA hot stove works. Lots of smoke. Rarely any fire.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #192
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Sounds like a 3-team deal involving Garnett going to Phoenix, Amare going to Atlanta, and Minnesota getting a bunch of draft picks and maybe a couple spare parts has been ok'd by both Phoenix and Minnesota. Its comes down to whether Atlanta is ok with adding payroll, which is in no way a given.

Is KG that much better than Amare to do this deal? I don't think so. I know Nash is getting old and Marion is too expensive no matter what, but Amare had a good year coming off that injury and he's only 24. It's a good deal for the T-Wolves because they'd have #3, #7, and #11 in this year's draft. Atlanta would be getting an emerging star, but still wouldn't have a PG and no draft picks in the 1st round this year. Maybe they could attract better free agents with Amare and Joe Johnson, but a lot more players will have to be added to this deal to make the salaries work.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #193
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Is KG that much better than Amare to do this deal? I don't think so. I know Nash is getting old and Marion is too expensive no matter what, but Amare had a good year coming off that injury and he's only 24. It's a good deal for the T-Wolves because they'd have #3, #7, and #11 in this year's draft. Atlanta would be getting an emerging star, but still wouldn't have a PG and no draft picks in the 1st round this year. Maybe they could attract better free agents with Amare and Joe Johnson, but a lot more players will have to be added to this deal to make the salaries work.

Atlanta is slowly going to add Nash, Marion, and umm... Jake Tsilkilis or whatever. Then wonder why their team isn't winning, with a then 45-year-old Nash.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #194
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The Warriors and the Hawks had a deal in place sending Monta Ellis to Atlanta for the #11 pick, but it fell through.

EDIT: Now the talk is the #11 to Seattle for Luke Ridnour.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 06-27-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #195
Anthony
Banned

i'm just not seeing how Noah will translate into a star. i don't see anything dominate about his game that i would make him a top 10 pick. he'll be a great bench player.he'll have one of those nondescript careers like Shane Battier, you know, good enough to include in a trade, good enough to come off the bench, but won't put you over the top and will give you no more and no less than what's expected of him.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #196
digamma
Torchbearer

you under estimate your daddy.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #197
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
The Warriors and the Hawks had a deal in place sending Monta Ellis to Atlanta for the #11 pick, but it fell through.

EDIT: Now the talk is the #11 to Seattle for Luke Ridnour.

I'd take Monta in a heartbeat for the #11, but not Ridnour.

Cavs apparently looking to get in to the 1st round through San Antonio, and I really hope it happens. My guess would be that nothing will happen until draft day, if the Spurs decide that there is no one there that they want.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #198
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

This sounds to me like a trade where everybody loses, except maybe Minnesota.

Atlanta wind up with Amare but not draft picks, no C, and no PG.

Phoenix get Garnett, who is better than Amare but far older, and not better by THAT much.

Minnesota get 3 lottery picks in a strong draft, but Ricky Davis becomes their top player, meaning they'll be lucky to win 20 games over the next few seasons. Puts them in a great position to try and rebuild however.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #199
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Phoenix get Garnett, who is better than Amare but far older, and not better by THAT much.

Minnesota get 3 lottery picks in a strong draft, but Ricky Davis becomes their top player, meaning they'll be lucky to win 20 games over the next few seasons. Puts them in a great position to try and rebuild however.

I agree, except personally I'd rather have Garnett than Amare. Reason being the microfracture surgery. Its not a surgery that really fixes the joint. He's sort of a guinea pig for the surgery because of his age and how much he relies on his athletic ability. For the average person the surgery is supposed to last around 10 years, Amare will give people an idea of how long it will last for an athelete.

I'd be nervous having a long-term commitment to a guy that is probably going to have another microfracture surgery at some point down the line.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #200
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

I like the deal, but Ricky Avis needs to go whether or not the Wolves trade Garnett. Moving him should be just as much a priority as trying to find someone to take Hudson and Jaric.