Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2007, 05:36 PM   #151
Antmeister
Pro Starter

And this is exactly why you don't get rid of a 14-2 coach. I can not believe the Chargers are 1-2 and, the defense looks like crap and Tomlinson has averaged less than 3 yards a carry in the past two games. Sure, it's still early, but the defense is already a bad sign.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #152
Logan
Head Coach

I stand by the argument that getting rid of Marty wasn't the problem; getting rid of him after all other coaching vacancies were filled, with all the shifting in coordinators already taking place, was moronic.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #153
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I stand by the argument that getting rid of Marty wasn't the problem; getting rid of him after all other coaching vacancies were filled, with all the shifting in coordinators already taking place, was moronic.

Yes. Even having Cam as the head coach would have been better.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #154
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I guess I just wanted to bring this thread back up because there were a few people on here that believed that you can bring any coach in this situation and the Chargers would do fine because of their talent. That is not proving to be the case. This team should steamroll over Kansas City and if that game ends up being close, this is going to be a long season.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #155
path12
Coordinator

Norv is not a head coach.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #156
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I agree to a point. The fact remains that even at that late hour, there were other head coaches they could have hired who either deserved a chance or were far superior to Turner. Some people may think I'm insane, but they'd seriously have been better off hiring Mike Martz. Turner CANNOT coach. He's one of the worst HC's in history and his teams always play below their talent level.

Hell, if I were an SD fan, I think I'd be cheering for a 6-10 season now. (not gonna happen of course) If you get that, Norv loses his job. You also get a top 10 pick and an extra high draft choice for Michael Turner. Then next year you have a real chance to do something.

Instead they'll win 10 with Norv, be bounced from the playoffs instantly and keep him around for another year of mediocrity. It was a horrific decision by the Chargers from day one and watching them play simply pounds the point home on a weekly basis.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #157
TroyF
Coordinator

Dola:

Norv will be a punchline though.

Who is the only person who can shut down Ladamion Tomlinson?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #158
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Dola:

Norv will be a punchline though.

Who is the only person who can shut down Ladamion Tomlinson?

I have no idea. Who is Ladamion Tomlinson?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #159
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I agree to a point. The fact remains that even at that late hour, there were other head coaches they could have hired who either deserved a chance or were far superior to Turner. Some people may think I'm insane, but they'd seriously have been better off hiring Mike Martz. Turner CANNOT coach. He's one of the worst HC's in history and his teams always play below their talent level.

Hell, if I were an SD fan, I think I'd be cheering for a 6-10 season now. (not gonna happen of course) If you get that, Norv loses his job. You also get a top 10 pick and an extra high draft choice for Michael Turner. Then next year you have a real chance to do something.

Instead they'll win 10 with Norv, be bounced from the playoffs instantly and keep him around for another year of mediocrity. It was a horrific decision by the Chargers from day one and watching them play simply pounds the point home on a weekly basis.

Agreed. Let's call "Firing your coach with the best 14 alternatives gone" idiotic move #1a, and "Hiring the 347th best choice" idiotic move #1b.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #160
Rizon
Pro Starter

If Marty would have returned as coach, the Chargers would have gone 16-0 and then lost their first playoff game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #161
JeeberD
General Manager

I never thought I would say this, but thank god that Jerry went after Wade instead of Norv...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #162
rowech
Pro Starter

I want the Bengals to get Marty.....those two together should cancel each other out and make a perfect team.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #163
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
If Marty would have returned as coach, the Chargers would have gone 16-0 and then lost their first playoff game.

I think you are missing the point. It's not like this is a decision between being a dominant team and losing in the playoffs with Marty or being an average team and winning the Super Bowl with Norv.

With Norv, you still get the losses in the playoffs, but your team doesn't even get to the playoffs a lot of the time.

Again, I have no problems with them firing Marty. I have a problem with them replacing him with one of the single most inept head coaches of all time. If it isn't for Rex Grossman, the Chargers are 0-3 right now.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:56 PM   #164
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm sure saying that Rich Kotite would have been a better choice is an exaggeration, but I'm not sure how big an exaggeration.

On a scale of 1-10, just how frustrated do you think Tomlinson is right now, based on:
a.) the ESPN mag article at the start of the year
b.) his sideline argument with Rivers today
c.) looking on the sideline and seeing a coach with a 59-84-1 record
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #165
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

That's a WAY better season than the Chargers are going to have this year.

I think it was stupid to fire him, no matter who they brought in. You're not going to improve your regular season, and how many proven playoff winning coaches were on the market (even at the beginning of the off-season). Marty's playoff record is bad, but it's still only about a season's worth of games - a pretty small sample size.

And let's not forget, Marty wasn't fired because he lost one game to the Patriots (a pretty good team by the way), but because he couldn't get along with the GM.

Last edited by molson : 09-23-2007 at 07:07 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #166
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Yes. Even having Cam as the head coach would have been better.

Talk to Hoosier fans.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #167
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The Rams should have signed Marty.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #168
SunDevil
College Prospect

Actually has Norv ever been to the playoffs as a head coach? I thought I heard about replacing a head coach who has always lost in the first round of the playoffs with a coach who actually has never gotten to the playoffs?
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #169
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And let's not forget, Marty wasn't fired because he lost one game to the Patriots (a pretty good team by the way), but because he couldn't get along with the GM.

Only about half correct...Marty was fired because the OC and DC left for head coaching jobs and at least 2 other position coaches left for coordinator jobs. After this happened, Marty wanted to bring in his brother to be DC (with no 3-4 experience) while AJ Smith wanted Ted Cottrell. Sure, Ted Cottrell sucks, but I'm not sure the Chargers wouldn't be 1-2 right now with Marty as head coach, Clarence Shelmon calling plays on offense and Kurt Schottenheimer as the DC.

The team has had a bunch of problems, but if you've actually watched the games the coaches can only take so much of the blame. The OLine was great last year - this year, they're getting pushed back on running plays and collapsing on passing plays. The defense has 2 new ILB's who are doing a shit job in coverage (Letting Donnie Edwards go was a huge mistake....AJ's fault, but not Norv's). Rivers played like shit in the first two games and it didn't look like coaching had anything to do with it (Int's thrown to linebackers who are in clear view when looking at the receiver).

As far as I can tell, here are the coaching mistakes that have contributed to the worse season are as follows:
1) Defense isn't getting enough pressure on the QB which is leaving the secondary out to dry. It seems like when they do blitz, the qb picks it up and gets away a quick completion. Seems to me that the blitzes aren't being disguised enough. Also, Merriman is being put back into coverage more often....why?

2) Offensively (at the end of the GB game), the Chargers reverted back to Martyball on their last few possessions with the lead. Run-Run-Pass. Run-Run-Pass. Prior to that, Norv actually called a really, really nice game. Philip Rivers got into a rhythm and the team was actually making some nice drives. Too predictable though at the end, and that hurt.

So, I know the easy thing is to say how much Norv sucks and how much of a mistake it was to fire Marty. But if you actually watch Chargers games you'd find that the offense is being held back by poor Oline play (and they did ok in spite of it this week) and the defense is stopped by a lack of pressure on the QB. Both of these things will more than likely improve as the season wears on and I still think the Chargers can win 10-11 games and take the AFC West. I could be wrong on this, but from what I've seen, Norv can't take all (or even most) of the blame.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #170
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Talk to Hoosier fans.

Or talk to Hoosier and Dolphin fans.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #171
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacovfb View Post
Only about half correct...Marty was fired because the OC and DC left for head coaching jobs and at least 2 other position coaches left for coordinator jobs. After this happened, Marty wanted to bring in his brother to be DC (with no 3-4 experience) while AJ Smith wanted Ted Cottrell. Sure, Ted Cottrell sucks, but I'm not sure the Chargers wouldn't be 1-2 right now with Marty as head coach, Clarence Shelmon calling plays on offense and Kurt Schottenheimer as the DC.

The team has had a bunch of problems, but if you've actually watched the games the coaches can only take so much of the blame. The OLine was great last year - this year, they're getting pushed back on running plays and collapsing on passing plays. The defense has 2 new ILB's who are doing a shit job in coverage (Letting Donnie Edwards go was a huge mistake....AJ's fault, but not Norv's). Rivers played like shit in the first two games and it didn't look like coaching had anything to do with it (Int's thrown to linebackers who are in clear view when looking at the receiver).

As far as I can tell, here are the coaching mistakes that have contributed to the worse season are as follows:
1) Defense isn't getting enough pressure on the QB which is leaving the secondary out to dry. It seems like when they do blitz, the qb picks it up and gets away a quick completion. Seems to me that the blitzes aren't being disguised enough. Also, Merriman is being put back into coverage more often....why?

2) Offensively (at the end of the GB game), the Chargers reverted back to Martyball on their last few possessions with the lead. Run-Run-Pass. Run-Run-Pass. Prior to that, Norv actually called a really, really nice game. Philip Rivers got into a rhythm and the team was actually making some nice drives. Too predictable though at the end, and that hurt.

So, I know the easy thing is to say how much Norv sucks and how much of a mistake it was to fire Marty. But if you actually watch Chargers games you'd find that the offense is being held back by poor Oline play (and they did ok in spite of it this week) and the defense is stopped by a lack of pressure on the QB. Both of these things will more than likely improve as the season wears on and I still think the Chargers can win 10-11 games and take the AFC West. I could be wrong on this, but from what I've seen, Norv can't take all (or even most) of the blame.

No...I can still say Norv sucks. Under Marty, he would have immediately put a stop to some of the meltdowns. He would be in their face if the Oline wasn't performing like they were capable of doing and LT would not have under 3 yards a carry in the last two games. To say that a 14-2 coach made no difference to this team just boggles my mind. Now I am not saying that he is the sole reason, but he definitely had the pull to bring in some good assistants once the others left. Plus he could have easily taken over Defensive Coordinator duties. Norv sucks all the way around and doesn't have the respect or pull that Marty had.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #172
TroyF
Coordinator

I have watched all three Charger games.

I see a team that's unprepared and has come out flat on offense three straight games. That's coaching.

I see a QB who is regressing. You can blame anyone you like, but to me that's a coaching issue.

I see something wildly different than you do on defense. I don't see huge issues with the MLB at all. NE and GB slaughtered the Chargers through the air and on the outside. I think each team had about 5 catches from the TE postion, but had two WR each with close to 100 yards. Both the Pack and Pats used the run only as a sidebar to what they were really trying to do. . . attack the Charger CB's. The fact they played with the same exact gameplan as they did with NE, against a team with an even worse running game? That's coaching.

Football Outsiders has shown OC's and DC's are actually a bit overrated in the long haul. The Patriots lost both last a couple of years ago and weren't overly impacted by it. Of course they had stability from the head coaching position and a real head coach, so maybe that's why it didn't matter so much.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #173
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
No...I can still say Norv sucks. Under Marty, he would have immediately put a stop to some of the meltdowns. He would be in their face if the Oline wasn't performing like they were capable of doing and LT would not have under 3 yards a carry in the last two games. To say that a 14-2 coach made no difference to this team just boggles my mind. Now I am not saying that he is the sole reason, but he definitely had the pull to bring in some good assistants once the others left. Plus he could have easily taken over Defensive Coordinator duties. Norv sucks all the way around and doesn't have the respect or pull that Marty had.

I never said Marty made no difference last year, but if he was the coach this year with a new OC and DC, do you honestly think they'd be better than 1-2 right now? Playing "Martyball" at the end is what lost the GB game...imagine if they had the offensive philosophy the entire game. For as good a coach Marty is, it sure is easy to forget he underachieved in 2005 (9-7), coached as horrible a game as possible vs. New England in last year's playoffs and handed off a very large portion of playcalling duties to Cameron and Phillips. All I'm saying is we should let this season play out before blaming Norv.

As a disclaimer, if they lose this week at home against an awful KC team, I take back all that I said about Norv.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #174
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
I have watched all three Charger games.

I see a team that's unprepared and has come out flat on offense three straight games. That's coaching.

I see a QB who is regressing. You can blame anyone you like, but to me that's a coaching issue.

I see something wildly different than you do on defense. I don't see huge issues with the MLB at all. NE and GB slaughtered the Chargers through the air and on the outside. I think each team had about 5 catches from the TE postion, but had two WR each with close to 100 yards. Both the Pack and Pats used the run only as a sidebar to what they were really trying to do. . . attack the Charger CB's. The fact they played with the same exact gameplan as they did with NE, against a team with an even worse running game? That's coaching.

Football Outsiders has shown OC's and DC's are actually a bit overrated in the long haul. The Patriots lost both last a couple of years ago and weren't overly impacted by it. Of course they had stability from the head coaching position and a real head coach, so maybe that's why it didn't matter so much.

Agree on the first point for the first two games...I thought they came out and played much better on offense (considering the Oline troubles) against GB. But you have to remember, they came out flat numerous times offensively last year. Baltimore, 2nd Oakland Game, Cincy, Denver where they needed the come back are ones I can think of off the top of my head. It hurt this year since you aren't coming back against New England when you're down 24.

I disagree on the 2nd point that it's this coaching staff that's caused Rivers to regress. He looked horrible-average the last third of the season last year. The first 2 games of this year looked like a continuation of that. Against Green Bay, I thought he looked like he did in the beginning of last year when he played well - he was confident, making his throws on third down, etc. He got into a rhythm and only had a few bad passes (missed 3rd and 3 throw, INT).

As for the MLB...I meant that they're a liability in coverage. Quick slants killed the Chargers. I was going to say that the playing of the corners 10 yards off the line of scrimmage like the New England game was what hurt, but they adjusted and played tighter vs Green Bay. I just wish that tighter equated to playing better.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:48 AM   #175
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Haven't seen the Chargers play at all this season, but their opening schedule is absolutely brutal. Making judgements on how this team will do based on facing what will likely be three of the top 5 defenses in the NFL is completely unfair and pointless.

EDIT: I happen to think that Norv sucks as well, but it's not based on the last three games.

Last edited by Fighter of Foo : 09-24-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:13 AM   #176
Anthony
Banned

i don't think you ever replace a 14-2 coach. and you especially don't replace him with Norv, who is best suited as an OC. at least after this SD mess he won't have to worry about going through this again, cuz i can't think he'll ever get another shot at being a HC.

AJ Smith should have brought in at least one serviceable WR to go along with Gates. or just make Gates a WR every down and stop this TE farce. they line him up as a TE when they need him to take a break from running WR routes.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #177
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i don't think you ever replace a 14-2 coach. and you especially don't replace him with Norv, who is best suited as an OC. at least after this SD mess he won't have to worry about going through this again, cuz i can't think he'll ever get another shot at being a HC.

AJ Smith should have brought in at least one serviceable WR to go along with Gates. or just make Gates a WR every down and stop this TE farce. they line him up as a TE when they need him to take a break from running WR routes.

Great post.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #178
Logan
Head Coach

Vincent Jackson is definitely more than a serviceable WR and Gates should not line up as a WR every down. There's a big difference between doing it once in awhile, or motioning into the slot, and trying to beat CBs downfield or run precise routes every play.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #179
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Vincent Jackson is definitely more than a serviceable WR and Gates should not line up as a WR every down. There's a big difference between doing it once in awhile, or motioning into the slot, and trying to beat CBs downfield or run precise routes every play.

Agreed. Jackson is a pretty solid WR. They drafted a WR #1 this year. Gates is fine in limited action on a CB, not every down though.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #180
Raiders Army
Coordinator

FWIW, Norv is an offensive guy...something they didn't need considering they had a great offense and he didn't need to install "his" offense. If anything, San Diego is weak on the defensive side of the ball.

Wade Phillips, on the other hand, isn't doing well shoring up Dallas' offense.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #181
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Agreed. Jackson is a pretty solid WR. They drafted a WR #1 this year. Gates is fine in limited action on a CB, not every down though.

Also agreed. Although I liked Craig Davis a lot more before he unofficially changed his name to "Buster."
Old 09-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #182
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Can't agree that Marty wouldn't be doing better. I think you all forget that Marty is a great regular season coach. He is 200 - 126 - 1 (0.613) in the regular season. Martyball would have worked against GB because Marty's defense wouldn't have sucked so bad.

It's his playoff record which is subpar but even it isn't downright terrible at 5-13.

Bottom line: Norv is a terrible regular season coach so he can't even really get you to the playoffs. With Norv, SD may not make playoffs. With Marty, SD easily makes playoffs but loses again to NE or Indy. In the end same result.

I think it's been said before, getting rid of Marty wasn't the disastrous part of Smith's decision (because of his playoff problems), it was hiring Norv to replace him. Absolutely mind-boggling.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 09-24-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:08 PM   #183
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Can't agree that Marty wouldn't be doing better. I think you all forget that Marty is a great regular season coach. He is 200 - 126 - 1 (0.613) in the regular season. Martyball would have worked against GB because Marty's defense wouldn't have sucked so bad.

It's his playoff record which is subpar but even it isn't downright terrible at 5-13.

Bottom line: Norv is a terrible regular season coach so he can't even really get you to the playoffs. With Norv, SD may not make playoffs. With Marty, SD easily makes playoffs but loses again to NE or Indy. In the end same result.

I think it's been said before, getting rid of Marty wasn't the disastrous part of Smith's decision (because of his playoff problems), it was hiring Norv to replace him. Absolutely mind-boggling.

Here is the thing: I've bashed Marty as much as anyone. I've talked about how poorly he coaches in big playoff games and how he makes critical mistakes.

Yet. . . all it takes is once. Is it really that far out of line to think he couldn't have beat the Patriots and/or Colts this year? Everyone had given up on Tony Dungy/Manning doing it and they broke through. Everyone had given up on Cowher doing it and he found a way. How much is our opinion of Marty changed if Ernest Byner doesn't fumble the ball on the one yard line or the Rich Karlis FG in OT moves three inches more to the left?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Marty fan by any stretch and I have no issues with the team replacing him. (as I've said above) But I don't find it impossible or just write him off before the playoffs start and say he CAN NEVER win a big game in the playoffs. I actually think there is at least a 50/50 shot they'd have broken through this year. That's 50 points higher than the chance I give them with Norv.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:13 PM   #184
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Marty could still do it one year, I'll give you that. But not this year. There is just no way they are beating Indy or NE this year, with or without Marty. Which isn't saying all that much. I don't think any other team could either.

The SB this year depends on 2 games. The regular season contest between Indy and NE to decide who gets home field, to aid in winning the AFC championship game. Everyone else is playing for 3rd place.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:31 AM   #185
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Marty could still do it one year, I'll give you that. But not this year. There is just no way they are beating Indy or NE this year, with or without Marty. Which isn't saying all that much. I don't think any other team could either.

The SB this year depends on 2 games. The regular season contest between Indy and NE to decide who gets home field, to aid in winning the AFC championship game. Everyone else is playing for 3rd place.

This is pure insanity. The Patriots have got off to a scorching start. But all it takes is a twisted knee from either Brady or Moss to change things 100%. Indy doesn't go anywhere without Manning. In the modern day, cap based NFL it's just as critical that your star players get through the year healthy as it is the total construction of the team.

It's also not unheard of for a ton of things to change the complection of games. Brady hates the rain for instance. What if the Chargers catch him in a driving rain storm and Brady has an off day?

I didn't have that much confidence in '98 when Denver was clearly the class of the AFC and nobody else came close. That year we won a lot of games with Bumbly Brister at QB. Yet we went into the locker room trailing the Jets at halftime of the AFC championship game. To many things can happen in this game to annoit anyone as champs or AFC Championship locks.

IF the Patriots and Colts stay healthy and IF they both play their B+ to A+ games in the playoffs, then everyone else is fighting for third. Those are monsteous IF's. And a Chargers team playing like last years, with full confidence has every bit the ability and talent of the two teams you mentioned. Why don't we wait 16 games or so before we start talking about Championships for either the Patriots or Colts. (or on the NFC side, the Cowboys, who everyone has walking straight through to the title game now)
Old 09-25-2007, 12:38 AM   #186
TroyF
Coordinator

Dola:

As a Patriots fan, you should know all to well the folly of making statements like this early in the season. Flash back to 2003. The Patriots were coming off a mediocre season and started the year off 2-2.

Meanwhile the heavily favored Colts and Chiefs got off to 4-0 starts. (with the Chiefs just destroying teams) The Titans were also expected to be better than the Pats that year and started off 3-1. (with their only loss to the Colts)

We all know what happened after that. The Patriots didn't lose another game that year. Again, let's just hold off before we start talking about teams playing for third place. It's early.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:59 AM   #187
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Brady hates the rain for instance.

I'll comment on this line for sure. What are you smoking? Where do you get this stuff, really? I know that Manning hates grass, so look out there, Colts are done. And I hear Romo's a vegetarian, so if they have to play Philly and there is a strong smell of cheese steak in the air, then the 'Boys are done. I try to avoid prognosticating based on a fictional weather report some 4-6 months out. Anyways, no shit an injury to Brady or Manning affects things. Did you even have to bring that up? I mean, that's a given. So, I'm sorry I didn't preface my comment with an "if." I thought that was obvious.

But more to the point, it truly is amazing however that Brady "hates" rain but yet I guess he loves below freezing temperatures (i.e. if he can play in the freezing snow, he can play in the rain). Doesn't compute. I mean is there a QB out there who likes the rain over good weather? Or any players for that matter?

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 09-25-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #188
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll comment on this line for sure. What are you smoking? Where do you get this stuff, really? I know that Manning hates grass, so look out there, Colts are done. And I hear Romo's a vegetarian, so if they have to play Philly and there is a strong smell of cheese steak in the air, then the 'Boys are done. I try to avoid prognosticating based on a fictional weather report some 4-6 months out. Anyways, no shit an injury to Brady or Manning affects things. Did you even have to bring that up? I mean, that's a given. So, I'm sorry I didn't preface my comment with an "if." I thought that was obvious.

But more to the point, it truly is amazing however that Brady "hates" rain but yet I guess he loves below freezing temperatures (i.e. if he can play in the freezing snow, he can play in the rain). Doesn't compute. I mean is there a QB out there who likes the rain over good weather? Or any players for that matter?

Maybe I'm wrong on Brady. I know he plays good in colder temps, but I swore I saw somewhere where he hated playing in the rain. That's the smallest of the entire points.

Sometimes silly, stupid crap like that matters. (see Dan Fouts and the Chargers going into frigid Cincy in the early 80's, the game was over before it started. It's things like that you can't predict. (and yes, some QB's are much, much worse in the rain and are more impacted by it than others are)

That's why it's so asinine to start blabbing after four weeks about teams fighting for third place. Want to make that type of comment about the EPL where there are teams with huge financial advantages as well as a wealth of talent? Fine. Making it about the NFL is just dumb. Sorry, you aren't getting me to change my mind about that.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #189
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

What's the second game again (depends on 2 games)?

Seriously, tho. Aside from injuries in the NFL being the biggest factor, I don't think either of those teams is going to go undefeated aside from that game between the two of them. 15-1 and 16-0 teams don't grow on trees and 14-2 ones aren't all that common. There are just going to be some down weeks where those teams get beat.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #190
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

Seriously, tho. Aside from injuries in the NFL being the biggest factor, I don't think either of those teams is going to go undefeated aside from that game between the two of them. 15-1 and 16-0 teams don't grow on trees and 14-2 ones aren't all that common. There are just going to be some down weeks where those teams get beat.

SI

The second game would be the AFC title game between the Colts and Pats.

I don't disagree with the sentiment entirely, it's just bizzare to see it wrote so confidently and so soon in the year. There is a LOT of football to be played and it's to early to be picking one team as a lock for the AFC title game, much less two.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:26 AM   #191
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

I think he meant the second game was the AFC Championship Game itself.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #192
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Does the Chargers miss Marty this year? Antmeister says, "Hell yes!".

Say what you will, but for those who thought that you can plug in just any coach in here, you are sharing my pain right now. Of all teams, KC should have no business beating San Diego. Good job Norv.

I am telling you, this is another flashback to what happened years ago when the Chargers made a mistake of letting another winning head coach go because of the GM. I guess ownership didn't learn their lesson. And now the cycle will begin again. Players will be refusing to resign here and free agents will not want to play here. Wow!
Old 09-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #193
Lorena
Unregistered

wow
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #194
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
I am telling you, this is another flashback to what happened years ago when the Chargers made a mistake of letting another winning head coach go because of the GM. I guess ownership didn't learn their lesson. And now the cycle will begin again. Players will be refusing to resign here and free agents will not want to play here. Wow!

Yes, that would be the offensive genius, Kevin Gilbride who wasn't shit.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #195
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

In other news, Eli Manning opens a fortune telling booth in downtown New York with a sign, "That's why I didn't want to play there."
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #196
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Yes, that would be the offensive genius, Kevin Gilbride who wasn't shit.

I was thinking Bobby Ross?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #197
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist View Post
In other news, Eli Manning opens a fortune telling booth in downtown New York with a sign, "That's why I didn't want to play there."

He wouldn't have said that last year now we he?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #198
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

She is referring to the person that replaced Bobby Ross.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #199
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
He wouldn't have said that last year now we he?

Probably considering how they handled the whole Brees situation.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #200
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:

After Bobby Ross left the Chargers decided to hire offensive genius Kevin Gilbride thinking he could do better than Ross.. it went quickly downhill from there. I'm fearing the same will happen now.