Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #151
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I haven't played RTTS at all yet. Explain the difference between new and old so I'm aware.

In the PS2/PSP and i guess same in the PS3, the main differences between new and classic RTTS are:

* Classic:
- You control all the players from your team unless you manually skip to your next at bat.
- On defense, you control your pitcher and the whole team too.
- No goals set from your manager.

* New:
- The game auto skips to your next at bat, you only play as your player.
- On defense, you control only your player and only in situations where the ball is coming your way.
- Your manager sets different goals, like drive the run, or get in base, or do not strike out etc.

I would say that RTTS is a more pure RPG simulation while the classic is more a mix of RPG and whole team management.

Even when the goals are someway hard to accomplish, I prefer the RTTS mode as i only want to control my player. About the goals, you are not supposed to accomplish all them in every game, else you would get tons of points pretty fast to upgrade your player ratings and it all would be so easy. Just accomplishing half of the goals you are asked to, you get enough points to train your player.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #152
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
In the PS2/PSP and i guess same in the PS3, the main differences between new and classic RTTS are:

* Classic:
- You control all the players from your team unless you manually skip to your next at bat.
- On defense, you control your pitcher and the whole team too.
- No goals set from your manager.

* New:
- The game auto skips to your next at bat, you only play as your player.
- On defense, you control only your player and only in situations where the ball is coming your way.
- Your manager sets different goals, like drive the run, or get in base, or do not strike out etc.

I would say that RTTS is a more pure RPG simulation while the classic is more a mix of RPG and whole team management.

Even when the goals are someway hard to accomplish, I prefer the RTTS mode as i only want to control my player. About the goals, you are not supposed to accomplish all them in every game, else you would get tons of points pretty fast to upgrade your player ratings and it all would be so easy. Just accomplishing half of the goals you are asked to, you get enough points to train your player.

I like to hear that last comment that all of these goals don't always need to be accomplished. Puzzle Quest is much like that in that you get a trial by fire before you finally meet with some success as you move on in the game. I like that they make things more of a challenge.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #153
Celeval
Pro Starter

Can you play RTTS as a pitcher?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #154
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I like the new RTTS as well. I find myself watching the intros to see who is playing what position as it's nice to see a familiar face or two in AAA with me as I know who's playing behind me when I pitch.

So far, I'm VERY impressed with the AI in the psp version as far as rosters and what not go... ps2 version be dammed!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #155
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post

By all means, I'm a SP.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #156
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yeah, as SP/MR and Closer. If you choose to be a SP, depending on how well you do, you end being used as starter or as reliever.

I tried to be a closer and it's so fun, you usually play the last inning only so the season progresses so fast, also you can really feel what a closer must face trying to keep the lead in close games, so stressing!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:45 AM   #157
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oh they better still have this sucker in stock at lunch.

And why did I not take tomorrow off?!
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #158
TroyF
Coordinator

In the PSP version, the manager set goals for you in the classic mode as well as the new one. I haven't tried Classic on the PS3 yet.

As a SP, I'm sure I'd be ok with the new one. Some of the things I hated about last nights move into the new one included:

1) Fielding. The game only shows you fielding when you are going to be involved in the play. That's OK on the face of it, but the problem is how many times you AREN'T involved in the play. I wasted 3 minutes to watch Frank Thomas hit a 445 foot HR over my head. Or the SS catch a pop up in the infield. Or a grounder to the SS. You get the drift. You are actually involved in your plays (at least in LF) about half the time it cuts to the screen. Makes no sense to me.

2) As a baserunner, it's incredibly difficult to see what is going on. The base coaches are tough to pick up and it all feels silly. If I were a basestealer, I guess it could be pretty interesting. As a LF power hitter, I found it to be boring as hell. In classic mode on the PSP, I don't have to control my runner.

Those two things really push me to classic if I'm a hitter. If I'm a pitcher, I probably would go with the new system.

If it sounds like I'm complaining a lot about the game, I can assure you right now I'm having a blast with it. It's the best sports game released on the PS3 by far and if you are a die hard baseball fan, this is as close to a system seller as you are going to get. (some people are still insisting the Konami import is an even better game, I'm going to have to find a site to order it from)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #159
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

1) Fielding. The game only shows you fielding when you are going to be involved in the play. That's OK on the face of it, but the problem is how many times you AREN'T involved in the play. I wasted 3 minutes to watch Frank Thomas hit a 445 foot HR over my head. Or the SS catch a pop up in the infield. Or a grounder to the SS. You get the drift. You are actually involved in your plays (at least in LF) about half the time it cuts to the screen. Makes no sense to me.

I'm guessing they're giving you even the remotest of opportunities to be involved in the play. (e.g. if the wind catches that HR maybe you'd have a tiny chance of climbing the wall to bring it back, or if the grounder goes through the SS's legs you'll need to back him up and decide where to make the throw)
Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #160
Celeval
Pro Starter

With the raving about RTTS, does that make the PS2 version worth picking up for that, then? I'd love a decent baseball game on the console, but I just don't know if it's there.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #161
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
I'm guessing they're giving you even the remotest of opportunities to be involved in the play. (e.g. if the wind catches that HR maybe you'd have a tiny chance of climbing the wall to bring it back, or if the grounder goes through the SS's legs you'll need to back him up and decide where to make the throw)

Yeah, I don't mind that part so much. I think a worse design idea would be to only show the plays that you are able to field. Takes away some of the reaction when the ball actually comes to you only on some occasions.

The baserunning does sound a bit boring as Troy describes it. I may consider being a speedy CF just so the baserunning is a bit more fun.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #162
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
With the raving about RTTS, does that make the PS2 version worth picking up for that, then? I'd love a decent baseball game on the console, but I just don't know if it's there.

RTTS is in the Ps2 too and is exactly the same, the only problem is that because the "no trades bug" you won't ever be traded to another team, so once you sign a contract, you need to wait for it to expire to become FA and to be able to sign with another team. It's not a major issue imho as a lot of real players are never traded in real life, they just play with a team until they become FAs.

Of course i would prefer the PSP or PS3 version where the trades are being done by the CPU, but if you don't have those consoles, the Ps2 version could be fun too to play in RTTS mode.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #163
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post

I think the same, i'm playing as CF and i always try to jump the wall when a hommer is hitted (have not been able to steal one by now, but i have read some guys that made it). Also when the grounder goes to the 2B, i always try to cover the field behind him in case the ball slips between his legs. I guess it's all about using a bit your imagination to play realisticaly.

To be part of thr whole game in defense could be better, but then the games would last a lot (1 hour minimum) and the advance in your baseball career would take ages, so i'm fine with only being part of 3 or 4 plays on defense to not to only take care of batting.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #164
Travis
Pro Rookie

I actually prefer it to not *always* be a hit to my player, even on the infield. Seems a bit too easy I suppose to always know it's coming to you (have only played the PS2 version thus far). Depends on how often you don't get it of course, but those sort of factors also determine what position I'm going to use while playing. I'm actually quite curious to see what all you have to do as a catcher (if you get to call pitches or not). Anybody know what it's like for them?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #165
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the same, i'm playing as CF and i always try to jump the wall when a hommer is hitted (have not been able to steal one by now, but i have read some guys that made it). Also when the grounder goes to the 2B, i always try to cover the field behind him in case the ball slips between his legs. I guess it's all about using a bit your imagination to play realisticaly.

To be part of thr whole game in defense could be better, but then the games would last a lot (1 hour minimum) and the advance in your baseball career would take ages, so i'm fine with only being part of 3 or 4 plays on defense to not to only take care of batting.

Yeah, it's a personal thing. I'm sure some won't be bothered. The baserunning thing is far more annoying to me, especially as a power hitter. (hey, I'm skinny as hell in real life and never had a career HR in baseball, this is my fantasy)

The baserunning thing does take up a ridiculous amount of time to. Last night I led off one inning with a single. The next guy up had a 9 pitch at bat and struck out. The next guy had a 7 pitch at bat with a single up the middle. Then a walk. Then a double play ground out. I wasted 5 to 10 minutes of my life simply watching the game from the basepaths. Boring doesn't even begin to describe it for me.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #166
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I actually prefer it to not *always* be a hit to my player, even on the infield. Seems a bit too easy I suppose to always know it's coming to you (have only played the PS2 version thus far). Depends on how often you don't get it of course, but those sort of factors also determine what position I'm going to use while playing. I'm actually quite curious to see what all you have to do as a catcher (if you get to call pitches or not). Anybody know what it's like for them?

Catcher is the perfect position to play... if you don't want any action in defense. You only do anything on wild pitches or in weak hits that go high but close to the batting cage, like once per game or less. At least it's what i saw as i got bored of it fast, you don't have to throw to base on steal attempts etc so don't pick that position unless you want to only concentrate on batting. For me the most fun come from playing SS. CF is fun also, trying to steal some homeruns, but you have like 6 or 7 defensive plays per game so the games take some time to be finished.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #167
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm doing a SP first. Next up will be an outfielder.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #168
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Catcher is the perfect position to play... if you don't want any action in defense. You only do anything on wild pitches or in weak hits that go high but close to the batting cage, like once per game or less. At least it's what i saw as i got bored of it fast, you don't have to throw to base on steal attempts etc so don't pick that position unless you want to only concentrate on batting. For me the most fun come from playing SS. CF is fun also, trying to steal some homeruns, but you have like 6 or 7 defensive plays per game so the games take some time to be finished.

Ah, that's too bad, if there was an option there to actually call a game it could be interesting, same for throwing out base stealers.

Just picked this up at lunch, going to try 3B and closer to begin with, then probably 2B, SS and CF eventually.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #169
Terps
College Prospect

I just played my first game in RTTS, as a second baseman. I went 3-5 and was 1 of 2 on my goals.

Also had the time to play my first full exhibition game. I lost 2-0 to the Devil Rays. I was pitching with Loewen and was doing great, but I walked a couple and they scored on a hit and run, then Jonny Gomes blasted a HR off of me in the 6th. I even out hit them, 10 to 7, but couldn't produce any runs. Just like the real O's! haha.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #170
Calis
College Starter

I'm a bit disappointed that in RTTS mode it appears there's no way to get points for defense? I wanted to make a really defense oriented SS, and then focuse on batting later, but it appears if you go that route you'll struggle getting points. I hope this is something they add in next year, or am I missing it? Do you get some points for plays?
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #171
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I'm a bit disappointed that in RTTS mode it appears there's no way to get points for defense? I wanted to make a really defense oriented SS, and then focuse on batting later, but it appears if you go that route you'll struggle getting points. I hope this is something they add in next year, or am I missing it? Do you get some points for plays?

Nope, you are not missing anything, that is the only gripe i have with RTTS.

Defensive performance doesn't have any reward as your GM doesn't set you any defensive goal. But you can't neglect your defensive ratings either, else once you reach the majors, you won't be the starter at your position, as your GM/Coaches look at your overall ratings to decide if you deserve the starting spot.

When you start a new career, if you want to develop your player faster, you need to concentrate on developing your offensive ratings. Once they are good enought, you can expend your training points on the defensive ratings.

To improve realism, i have set myself a house rule about forcing myself to train defense once every 3 offensive trainings.

Last edited by Icy : 05-17-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #172
TroyF
Coordinator

More thoughts:

1) Classic RTTS is much, much better if you are a power hitting OF. The goals are still there by the way.

2) Found my first consistent bug: If you have a runner on second and a deep fly ball moves him to third, you get a sac fly. It's happened three times in a row in situations like that. No at bat charged, SF awarded.

3) I'm an 18 year old rookie in spring training, hitting .316 in 60 at bats and the team is ANGRY with me. The manager is content, but the team is ANGRY. Umm. . . WTF?

4) Game is still pretty good. Enjoying it a lot.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:54 AM   #173
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
More thoughts:

1) Classic RTTS is much, much better if you are a power hitting OF. The goals are still there by the way.

2) Found my first consistent bug: If you have a runner on second and a deep fly ball moves him to third, you get a sac fly. It's happened three times in a row in situations like that. No at bat charged, SF awarded.

3) I'm an 18 year old rookie in spring training, hitting .316 in 60 at bats and the team is ANGRY with me. The manager is content, but the team is ANGRY. Umm. . . WTF?

4) Game is still pretty good. Enjoying it a lot.

Re: 3...Maybe the team is jealous? Or angry if you're on the verge of taking a starting spot away from a more popular player? Just throwing it out there...I don't even have the game.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:14 AM   #174
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

There's been a lot of complaints from MLB 2K7 owners about the total lack of any patch on their game despite some major issues that the developer knows about. This seems like it could easily be remedied with a patch. It will be interesting to see if SCEA releases a patch to clean up the loose ends a bit. That would be a really good thing for the gamers as well as from a PR perspective.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-18-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #175
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
There's been a lot of complaints from MLB 2K7 owners about the total lack of any patch on their game despite some major issues that the developer knows about. This seems like it could easily be remedied with a patch. It will be interesting to see if SCEA releases a patch to clean up the loose ends a bit. That would be a really good thing for the gamers as well as from a PR perspective.

That is the thing that pissed me more about next gen, one of the best new features of the 360 and ps3 was that finally we could download patches to fix our console games like we do in PC's... but i'm afraid the companies are not paying enough attention to it, as probably they prefer us used to no patching in consoles.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #176
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
That is the thing that pissed me more about next gen, one of the best new features of the 360 and ps3 was that finally we could download patches to fix our console games like we do in PC's... but i'm afraid the companies are not paying enough attention to it, as probably they prefer us used to no patching in consoles.

The major PS3 games have actually been quite good about it. Resistance has got several good fixes and added new maps and game modes at no cost. Motorstorm is also releasing a new update later this month that includes enhancements, a new track and some additions to the 'career' mode. The fact that those products have been updated so well gives me hope that they will treat their baseball title just as well.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:13 AM   #177
Travis
Pro Rookie

Started up a closer career in the new RTTS mode last night and enjoyed it immensely. Time wise, I can play EHM on the laptop in between appearances too

Going to be a long road though, only have one semi major league pitch and got roughed up pretty good in a few of my spring league appearances. So far things are going smoother in the minors, but I really have to hope against a callup any time soon (which shouldn't be a problem unless virtual BJ Ryan goes the same way as his real life counter part).

Seen some very sweet diving plays/animations and completely enjoying the game so far. The graphics aren't going to blow you away, but it's felt pretty solid otherwise.

A note on the goals, I came in with a runner on second and was asked to get a ground ball. Accidentally struck the guy out and it still counted as a successful goal met so good to see that there is some leeway in there.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:55 AM   #178
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Got the game last night but no time to play. However tonight I got in two "season" games with the Cubs. The game, like last year, plays a good game of baseball. Things feel right.

I agree with what others have posted regarding some of the reviews. I too wonder if they know baseball or actually spent any real time playing the game.
Home run celebrations are in as well as replays.

I've read a few reviews and thought someone wrote you could only play a season in franchise mode (maybe it was 2k7?). Not true, there is a standard 162 game season mode like last years ps2. I have no interest in building a dynasty with this game I just want to get on the field and do some hitting and pitching. When I want to run the front office I use OOTP.

I've seen tons of different kind of hits. Down the line, swinging bunts, Hr's, IF'er diving for a ball only to have just get under his glove, misplayed ball at 2b where the 2bman didn't panic but picked up the ball and still nabbed the runner at first, foul balls jerked down the line and careening off the stands at field level. This is in just two games I can't imagine the game being missing very many varieties of batted balls.

Very easy to d'load updated rosters, according to the file name mine are accurate as of May 18th.

Only played out two full games but the fielding decisions of the AI have been fine. I did get the runners on first and second with less than two outs, grounder to third, and he did throw to first never attempting a double play. HOWEVER it was a hard groundball down the line that the 3bman had to go to the ground to pick up. No chance of anything but a play at 1b which he made. The AI has had no problem turning the DP against me (again only two games).

Couple of cool things that happened while I was playing.

Runner on first GB to second and he flips to Theriot at SS but he drops the ball. The ump calls the runner out saying Theriot lost the ball on the transfer. Jerry Narron, the Reds manager, comes out to argue and the ump replies to him using body language to show that the SS lost the ball on transfer. Narron proceeds to move to the SS side of the bag using body language to demonstrate why his runner should not have been called out. Looked very cool, the ump giving his explanation and trying to turn his back and walk away. While Narron continues to follow him trying to make his point.

Dropped third strike and throw out at first. Not earth shattering news that this is in the game but the batters reaction was interesting. He didn't realize at first that Barret had dropped the ball and so hesitated a couple of seconds before trying to get to first base.

Game sounds great with 5.1 surround sound. The PA announcer comes out the back speakers and gives the feeling of sitting in the stands at a ballpark.
Played about 3 exhibition innings at Fenway and the PA guy was announcing something about the public transit train station outside the ballpark. Never been to Boston but is there a station there like the "Red Line" outside of Wrigley?

I did have one annoying thing in the two Cincinnati games. In both games the Reds started Freel at third and Hamilton in CF. The problem came when before the first pitch a defensive replacement was announce at 3b. In game one Conine took Freel's place and in game two it was Juan Castro. Freel never played in either game despite being in the starting lineup. Something I'll
keep an eye on but not a gamebreaker for me. My serious dynasty is done in
OOTP, The Show is more for entertainment.

Graphics aren't like nhl 07 but they are good enough for me. I like the clear backgrounds much better than 2k7's blurred ones (only played the demo on the 360). Stadiums look great but the grass could use some work for next years version. So, like on the ps2, it's not the prettiest game but it, IMHO, has the best gameplay, at least so far.

It will be interesting to see if, after getting in 30 or 40 games, the first impressions hold up.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:18 AM   #179
Icy
Pro Starter

Wooooot the postman just came with the pack from Canada for me, MLB07 and College Hoops! I never expected it this soon, has been only 3 days since it was sent to me and our post service is not specialy awesome.

What a perfect weekend awaits for me!

Old 05-19-2007, 09:09 PM   #180
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Finally had my first hit in AAA (I'm a SP), it was a double down the LF line. It felt really cool and the way they have it setup so you run the bases as your players bat is really tense. I made it to 3rd on a FC and then on a WP, I hesitated a bit too long and was thrown out.

RTTS is quite fun.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #181
TroyF
Coordinator

More thoughts:

The tuning of the game in RTTS could use some work. I can simply destroy AA pitching now. (I'm talking to the tune of a .600 batting average with 7 HR in 32 at bats) I'm pathetic at AAA. It's not "me" I'm hitting the same type of pitches in both, but in AAA, I had two extra base hits in 113 at bats.

Coming out of spring training my first year, I became the utility guy at AAA. Spen three months getting about 40 at bats before I was sent down. Went to AA and tore it up and then got a chance to play at AAA. (though still not everyday) I wish they'd make sure you had a full time role in the minors. I'm an 18 year old kid, cut me some slack and give me at bats. I can't improve without em.

Funny thing in AA. I had a game where my first 3 at bats were triple, homer, double. It just so happened I only had a goal on one of those at bats. I came up three more times and did this: HR, Double, Walk. So I ended up going 5-6 with 7 RBI, 15 total bases and five extra base hits. good thing I got rewarded for the hits, because I went 1 for 4 on my goals The last three at bats the goal was to hit for the cycle. Because I had two extra base hits and a walk, it failed me.

Second year I signed with another team and am down in AAA hitting much better.

Mizzou - Glad you like the new one. I found baserunning to be horribly boring. To each his own.

The game REALLY needs some sort of practice mode on the PS3. Why they couldn't include a batting cage is beyond me.

The dugouts are empty for most of the game. It's funny getting the high fives from the team after a good play when you replay the same play and nobody is in the dugout.

Still having fun and it's been three days. This is a keeper. No doubt about it.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:13 AM   #182
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm enjoying it a lot too, by now only in RTTS as i have a CF and SP careers going. I'm thinking on starting a franchise with the Marlins, but the problem i have is that at 1 hour per game, it will take me ages to finish a season. I'll probably set a house rule about playing one game and simming two, to reduce the played games to 1/3.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #183
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Funny thing in AA. I had a game where my first 3 at bats were triple, homer, double. It just so happened I only had a goal on one of those at bats. I came up three more times and did this: HR, Double, Walk. ... good thing I got rewarded for the hits, because I went 1 for 4 on my goals The last three at bats the goal was to hit for the cycle.

Should have stopped at first on the double.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:17 AM   #184
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I finally got around to playing some games in the RTTS career. I created a CF with LF as his secondary position. Started my career with the Royals. Got off to a really fast start as I completed all of my goals in the first two spring training games. Really like the level of difficulty even on the middle levels. I'm still liking this game just as much, if not more, than my initial impressions. It's a really good game and I'm likely to get a lot of gameplay out of it.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #185
Celeval
Pro Starter

Playing the PS2 version, and having fun with it so far - my LF/OF for the Nationals sucked hard during most of spring training, but had a couple of two-hit games near the end and earned a spot in AAA. Unforunately, I'm not starting there, so development is hurting.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #186
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Someone stop me before I do something foolish. However, MLB: The Show is as close to a killer app (or whatever the phrase is) as there can be for me.

I've found myself looking online at PS3 prices lately. Gulp.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #187
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just entering my 4th season with my closer (PS3, new version of RTTS).

Started off in AA in the Jays system, traded along with Frank Thomas to Cincy a third of the way into the season and made my first appearance in the majors, filling in for an injury. Closed 15 games during that stint, went to AAA for 6 scoreless appearances then came back up to end up with 20 major league saves as an 18 year old.

Got offers from TB, Baltimore, the Yankees and the Reds, all in the 6-7 year range. Didn't want to play for any of the AL teams so negotiated down to a 2 year deal with Cincy. Spent the second year mostly in AA with a couple stints at AAA, the third year being very similar, getting a call up to AAA with 2-3 weeks left in the season, then getting called back up to the majors after the AAA season was finished. Picked up 5 or so saves prior to the season ending there and entered free agency again.

This time Toronto came calling again and I've started my fourth season on the major league roster (rated as the 2nd best of 4 closers in the organization, so this may be another injury fill in) and played to my first appearance this season. Was a AA all star my second and third seasons, hoping I don't get the chance to have that honor again. Shouldn't as I've developed three major league pitches now (was really only at one the first year, two for most of the next two seasons). Almost time to start working on bunting or potentially a fourth pitch, but this game has easily had the most fist pump moments of any game I've played in a while, though hopefully those situations become less and less frequent as I start getting into fewer jams
Old 05-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #188
Logan
Head Coach

Just curious...after getting 20 major league saves as an 18 year old, why did you go back down to AA?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #189
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Someone stop me before I do something foolish. However, MLB: The Show is as close to a killer app (or whatever the phrase is) as there can be for me.

I started to look, but I just bought another Xbox 360 and a Dell 24" LCD monitor. My wife is going to kill me.

I played The Show on the psp and it was fun, but I miss MLB 2k7 for some reason only my mind knows. Well, that and NHL 07.

I would like to keep my psp, but I have to recoop some of my money. I think I'm going through a mid-life crisis or something.

At least my kids get my 20" LCD widescreen monitor.

The ps3 just doesn't appeal to me, but I'm glad those of you who have it are finally enjoying it with a good baseball game!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #190
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
but I miss MLB 2k7 for some reason only my mind knows. Well, that and NHL 07.

Really?! You like MLB 2k7 better than the Show? I've played about an inning of a game and I can't get past the fact that it's just too dang hard to recognize whether a pitch is a ball or a strike and, by the time I do, it's already past me. That and the game just seems slower than the Show.

I'd be an absolute moron to buy a PS3 for the Show, but I can't get it out of my head.
how do you know?

Old 05-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #191
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Best Buy is throwing in a free BR movie with purchase. I also saw a deal where a retailer was selling the system and throwing in a 2nd controller for free ($50 value which you'd likely pay otherwise). Just don't pay full price as there are some deals out there with some decent throw-ins for the same price.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #192
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Just curious...after getting 20 major league saves as an 18 year old, why did you go back down to AA?

Combination of blown saves (had 4-5 of those), inflated ERA (I tend to either close things out fast, or was giving up multiple runs in blown situations, think my MLB ERA that season was around 5.60) and organizational depth. Even when I got those 20 saves I was still listed as the 4th best closer in the organization, and while I never checked, I'm assuming that I was only up due to injuries, then moved around to fill holes where needed.

I was hoping to be AAA worthy the following season, but as it was, playing in AA I was able to dominate a bit more and raise my K/9 ratio enough to help fully develop my second pitch (absolutely necessary to have in AAA in this game) so it all worked out well.

That said, it was also one reason why I didn't resign with Cincy after my second contract. From what I could tell all the other guys were going to be back, so AAA was probably my ceiling for the next year or two. Whether or not it'll work out in Toronto I don't know yet (will find out tonight as I'll probably get a majority of this season played), but I had to take the chance
Old 05-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #193
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Really?! You like MLB 2k7 better than the Show? I've played about an inning of a game and I can't get past the fact that it's just too dang hard to recognize whether a pitch is a ball or a strike and, by the time I do, it's already past me. That and the game just seems slower than the Show.

As has been mentioned before, outside of the player models, the better game is MLB 07: The Show. I had similar issues with 2K7 when I played it on the PS3. Just a really tough game to get into that looks nice. Personally, I'm really tired of developers opting for pretty graphics over gameplay. I'd love to have both, but if I had my choice, I'd take average graphics/great gameplay over great graphics/average gameplay anyday. That's likely why I dislike EA games so much. All style, no substance.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #194
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Playing the PS2 version, and having fun with it so far - my LF/OF for the Nationals sucked hard during most of spring training, but had a couple of two-hit games near the end and earned a spot in AAA. Unforunately, I'm not starting there, so development is hurting.

How are the load times on the PS2 this year?

I liked last year's version, but the load times were unbearable.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #195
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'd be an absolute moron to buy a PS3 for the Show, but I can't get it out of my head.

Don't listen to me, I've become a graphics whore and I'm not afraid to admit it. The game is stunning and I can get past some of the absolute BS the game throws at you.

Like The Show and the ps3 is eating at you, so is my desire to fire up MLB 2k7 and see it on my new 24" monitor in 1080p. I can't be STOPPED!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #196
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As has been mentioned before, outside of the player models, the better game is MLB 07: The Show. I had similar issues with 2K7 when I played it on the PS3. Just a really tough game to get into that looks nice. Personally, I'm really tired of developers opting for pretty graphics over gameplay. I'd love to have both, but if I had my choice, I'd take average graphics/great gameplay over great graphics/average gameplay anyday. That's likely why I dislike EA games so much. All style, no substance.

Yeah, but I think it's a fun game, all gameplay bs aside.

Too bad you can't play NHL 07, that game is excellent.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #197
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
I can't be STOPPED!!!

I know, and the buyer's remorse I'd have if I actually caved in would be unbearable. Now, stop talking to me before I do something I regret!!
how do you know?

Old 05-22-2007, 01:36 PM   #198
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

It's typical of my frustration with this mode. You get called up and demoted for random reasons. I'm hitting .365 and slugging close to .700 in AAA. I'm playing about 4 games a week in some bizzare random platoon that has no rhyme or reason. I start against both lefties and righties. Sometimes I play three days in a row, other times I play every other day for a week.

I'm listed as the starting LF for the team, yet I'm playing in just over 60% of the games. The previous year I was average at AAA, got domoted to AA and got hot as could be, moved back up to AAA and ketp hitting well, moved to The Show and did ok (.270 avg, .380 OBP) and was demoted back to AA after two weeks.

Ummm, WTF?

Despite all of that, I really love the game. It's an incredible effort.

Would I purchase a PS3 just because of this? No. I don't think it's THAT good. Resistence, Oblivion (if you've never played it) and MLB are still the only three worthwhile games on the system at this point. If you are the type that can play one really good game for a few months, then it may be worth it.

Looking at release dates, I still don't see anything thrilling upcoming for Sony. Lair has a shot, but I'm not sure that's making the June release date. i see nothing else out there for another three months.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #199
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah, but I think it's a fun game, all gameplay bs aside.

Too bad you can't play NHL 07, that game is excellent.

Other than the totally incompetent AI at points as mentioned by previous posters of course. If EF27 says the AI is bad, it's got to be downright brutal.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #200
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Would I purchase a PS3 just because of this? No. I don't think it's THAT good. Resistence, Oblivion (if you've never played it) and MLB are still the only three worthwhile games on the system at this point. If you are the type that can play one really good game for a few months, then it may be worth it.

Motorstorm is a glaring omission in that list. The single player game is just OK (somewhat short), but the gameplay in multiplayer mode is well-worth the price of admission. With the new tracks, cars, etc. incoming, it will likely only get better.