Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2006, 10:57 PM   #151
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It is early on, but it looks like it is going to be a LONG season for the Kings. They've played Dallas tonight and last game, and they have simply looked awful. Whenever they've had a power play, they haven't gotten a shot off, and when the Stars have had a power play, they simply pass it around the Kings zone until they feel like shooting.

The next two games against Anaheim and San Jose will be a good barometer of how good this Stars team is going to be.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #152
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Hurricanes lay a whipping on the Pens in Pittsburgh, but once again, the Pens take one of our guys out. This time, they send Letowski to the hospital (though it should be noted that it was ruled a clean hit, even though Letowski had passed the puck and wasn't looking and therefore braced for a check coming from a different direction). Apparently it ended up being a concussion and some stitches, but with the Cole injury still fresh in mind from the last time Carolina played in Pittsburgh, it seems like it's becoming a trend. First Pens game in Raleigh this year should be interesting to see.

At least it looks like the offense is snapping out of whatever funk they were in the first week of the season as they've scored nine goals in two games. New guy Scott Walker netted a pair tonight, which is a good sign.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:30 PM   #153
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

The Sabres continue their improbable climb toward an 82-0-0 season, spotting the Rangers a two goal lead before dismantling them in clinical fashion.

What a fun team to watch.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:31 PM   #154
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
The Leafs continue to be The Most Important Team in Hockey™ with yet another three point game. Tonight, Sundin dials up the drama with a goal that is a.) the game winner, b.) short-handed in overtime, c.) his third of the game, d.) oh, also the 500th of his career.

Now this part is going to sound bad. JohnnyG, bbor, I need your backup here.

On tonight's broadcast, the CBC used Cassie Campbell on color, paired with Bob Cole. Campbell is a former member of the Canadian nation women's team. Her performance tonight was every bit as good as you would expect from someone making their debut on this sort of stage.

Which is to say, she sucked. She was absolutely terrible. Embarassingly bad.

Look, I like Cassie Campbell. She won gold medals for my country, she has really shiny hair, she's pretty cute as compared to Haley "Jeremy Roenick in a bad wig" Wickenheiser, and... um... I think that's pretty much the extent of her resume. I'm sure she's very nice. But she was freaking awful tonight.

She got confused about which player was which at least three times (I saw the third period and OT at a bar so I didn't have volume). She was completely confused by the Flames double penalty in the first. She offered no critcal comments at all (nobody made a mistake all night, apparently). And she provided all the insight that you would expect from somebody with zero NHL experience in any capacity, which is to say, none.

Please, please, don't put her on any more national telecasts. She may be very good at this someday and she deserves to have her chance at it, just like anyone else. Meaning she needs to work her way up, not get airlifted into the top job in the business so she can embarass herself.

And a note to the CBC: if you insist on using a color person who doesn't know the players, the rules, or the league: for the love of god, don't pair them with Bob Cole! I love Cole, I really do, but he tends to be ... um ... "imprecise" in his calls these days. He needs someone like Harry Neale who can subtlely correct him, not some babbling brook who's going to somehow manage to be even more wrong.

And yes, it takes this little to ruin my Saturday night.

LOL...i think you summed this up perfectly. I love Cassie as well. She's a national hero, but when i hear Bob, i want to hear Harry right beside him. I can't remember what, but i saw her do something in the booth a while ago. It was after she retired, but i remember thinking she was embarassing herself. While i dont want her to eventually be a regular color woman on HNIC, im sure we will be seeing her on olympic broadcasts for many years to come

BTW...Sundin's 500th was awesome!!!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:34 AM   #155
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Stars getting a bit of revenge on teh Kings for the rough treatment last year...8 goals against the Kings in 8 periods, vs. 1 against.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:41 AM   #156
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Hurricanes lay a whipping on the Pens in Pittsburgh, but once again, the Pens take one of our guys out. This time, they send Letowski to the hospital (though it should be noted that it was ruled a clean hit, even though Letowski had passed the puck and wasn't looking and therefore braced for a check coming from a different direction). Apparently it ended up being a concussion and some stitches, but with the Cole injury still fresh in mind from the last time Carolina played in Pittsburgh, it seems like it's becoming a trend. First Pens game in Raleigh this year should be interesting to see.

Actually, I watched that play in slo-mo a time or two tonight, and while Letowski had gotten rid of the puck, it wasn't all that long before. Basically, he made a dumb mistake and decided to watch his play, instead of turning around to see where he was going. If he had, he would have seen the Pit guy (didn't catch who laid it on) coming.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:43 AM   #157
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The next two games against Anaheim and San Jose will be a good barometer of how good this Stars team is going to be.

I agree, looking forward to tonight's game. The Ducks have taken seven points from four games while, IMO (and theirs reportedly), not playing their best hockey. This is a team still getting used to each other, but we have a ton of upside. The game against the Stars will be a good early measuring stick.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:38 AM   #158
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post

At least it looks like the offense is snapping out of whatever funk they were in the first week of the season as they've scored nine goals in two games. New guy Scott Walker netted a pair tonight, which is a good sign.

I thought it was definitely a clean hit... he was just finishing his check, it was not very late at all.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #159
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I am in love with Zach Parise. I feel the need to admit this, and since we're all friends here, I feel safe with you guys.

I love Zach Parise.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #160
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
On tonight's broadcast, the CBC used Cassie Campbell on color, paired with Bob Cole. Campbell is a former member of the Canadian nation women's team. Her performance tonight was every bit as good as you would expect from someone making their debut on this sort of stage.

Which is to say, she sucked. She was absolutely terrible. Embarassingly bad.

Wow. I must know jack shit about hockey. I thought she was good and a complete breath of fresh air in an institution that has grown old and stale. I didn't find her to be out of the loop, she's played at a level greater than any of us have every come close to, and she's been a Flames radio analyst for about two years now so it's not like this is her first gig.

She's better than many guys who are broadcasters but likely will not be given another chance if Maple Leaf's impression is the common one.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:36 PM   #161
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
LOL...i think you summed this up perfectly. I love Cassie as well. She's a national hero, but when i hear Bob, i want to hear Harry right beside him.

Please tell me you're joking - when I hear Bob, the last thing I want to hear is Harry right beside him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Wow. I must know jack shit about hockey. I thought she was good and a complete breath of fresh air in an institution that has grown old and stale.

I 100% agree.

Last edited by chrisj : 10-15-2006 at 07:38 PM.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:21 PM   #162
RGunner
High School JV

Good game going between the Stars and Ducks...2-1 Stars midway through second period and the Ducks just switched goalies....
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:26 PM   #163
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGunner View Post
Good game going between the Stars and Ducks...2-1 Stars midway through second period and the Ducks just switched goalies....

I take it this is on Ch. 27 up in the Metroplex? I can't find it on any of my DirecTV channels.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #164
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
I take it this is on Ch. 27 up in the Metroplex? I can't find it on any of my DirecTV channels.

Yep, thats what i am watching it on...Stars taking a lot of dumb penalites as usual for this season, but they scored on a 5 on 3 that tied it then a pretty weak goal by Hagman that has them in the lead...good game though
Old 10-15-2006, 08:39 PM   #165
RGunner
High School JV

Well, Anaheim seems to be slowly falling apart near the end of the second as its 3-1 now...Dallas is looking REALLY good to start this season off...Turco once again playing great, albeit in the regular season like always...
Old 10-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #166
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post

She's better than many guys who are broadcasters but likely will not be given another chance if Maple Leaf's impression is the common one.

Bah. It was a Leafs-Flames game. Not like anybody important was watching anyway
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:11 PM   #167
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, Anaheim seems to be slowly falling apart near the end of the second as its 3-1 now...Dallas is looking REALLY good to start this season off...Turco once again playing great, albeit in the regular season like always...

Not so fast.

Too bad we fell apart in the second, because if we had maintained our play from the first and third periods, not only would we not have had to score an exciting goal near the end of the third to force overtime, we likely wouldn't have had to go to overtime at all.

We did the same thing against the Islanders on Wednesday, where we dominated them for most of the game, but allowed three awful goals in something like five minutes of the second period. As a result, we went to shootout with them and lost.

Speaking of shootout, if there is a surer way of beating us, I don't know that it exists. My Gawd, we suck at shootouts. This goes back to last year. We had tons of shootous last year, and I think we won maybe two of them (out of 13 or 14, I shit you not). So far this year, oh-for-two.

It was a great game tonight with two high quality squads going at it. Tip of the cap to the Stars for winning the shootout to take this one. I am looking forward to the next seven matchups.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:06 AM   #168
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Not so fast.

Too bad we fell apart in the second, because if we had maintained our play from the first and third periods, not only would we not have had to score an exciting goal near the end of the third to force overtime, we likely wouldn't have had to go to overtime at all.

We did the same thing against the Islanders on Wednesday, where we dominated them for most of the game, but allowed three awful goals in something like five minutes of the second period. As a result, we went to shootout with them and lost.

Speaking of shootout, if there is a surer way of beating us, I don't know that it exists. My Gawd, we suck at shootouts. This goes back to last year. We had tons of shootous last year, and I think we won maybe two of them (out of 13 or 14, I shit you not). So far this year, oh-for-two.

It was a great game tonight with two high quality squads going at it. Tip of the cap to the Stars for winning the shootout to take this one. I am looking forward to the next seven matchups.

yea it was a good game...i tend to put the stars as the favorites against basically anyone in a shootout with their history in them, it didnt even look like zubov or jokinen even tried and they scored, and the first save Turco made was pretty sweet
Old 10-16-2006, 01:12 AM   #169
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
yea it was a good game...i tend to put the stars as the favorites against basically anyone in a shootout with their history in them, it didnt even look like zubov or jokinen even tried and they scored, and the first save Turco made was pretty sweet

Yup, for some reason, against our goaltenders, you don't have to do much to get the puck past them in the shootout. Lord knows why.

Yeah, Turco's desperate stick save was amazing there, because Shannon's move was something else. Totally had him fooled. Hey, rook, just lift the puck a little bit next time!

I think Jiggy may have won an extended stay in the net tonight. He has been very good for the most part, while Bryz has been a little shaky. Doesn't matter in a shootout, though--they both suck there.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:41 AM   #170
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Tonight, the Devils and Rangers play each other for the first time this season. Let's see if Jagr throws an ill-advised jab and injures his arm again, just like he did in the playoffs last year.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:06 AM   #171
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
This sounds like a great idea, in theory. I wonder how hard it would be for someone to go back to last years standings, and apply this point system, to see how things would've looked had a different point system been employed.

I seem to recall someone had done this last year, and the results were surprisingly similar.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #172
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
Wow. I must know jack shit about hockey. I thought she was good and a complete breath of fresh air in an institution that has grown old and stale. I didn't find her to be out of the loop, she's played at a level greater than any of us have every come close to, and she's been a Flames radio analyst for about two years now so it's not like this is her first gig.

Agreed. I certainly did hear he be critical more than once. Examples you say? WHen Tucker drew a penalty on Phaneuf Cassie said "Tucker went down a little easily there" That to me obviously suggests Tucker dove. On the Leafs 3rd goal Cassie said that Iginla losing the battle on the boards was directly responsible for the goal which to me is pretty darn critical. I would say that she did quite a good job, as did Chris Zelkovich the sports media columnist in the Toronto Star.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...3064&t=TS_Home
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:46 PM   #173
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Shanny rocks! Go King Henrik!

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:44 AM   #174
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Lundqvist was the real deal for the Rangers tonight.

as a devils fan, it hurts me most of all to compliment the rangers, but the devils offense was buzzing, and lundqvist just played phenomenally. cant feel too bad about that loss, though the PP could use some work...
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:16 AM   #175
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So far in this young season the Red Wings have one of the worst powerplays in the league. Brendan Shanahan is leading the league in powerplay goals... Coincidence? Oh, I think not.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:21 AM   #176
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Jose Theodore looked absolutely dreadful last night (he made Martin Lapointe look darn good) as Colorado's consecutive sellout streak ended at 487.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #177
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

According to ESPN.com's article about low attendance:

"The Colorado Blackhawks had 8,008 fans in 20,500-seat United Center the same night."

Well, no wonder. That's a hell of a commute for most Colorado fans!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:06 PM   #178
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
According to ESPN.com's article about low attendance:

"The Colorado Blackhawks had 8,008 fans in 20,500-seat United Center the same night."

The Hawks are good enough getting non-sellouts without ESPN.com's help.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:50 PM   #179
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
So far in this young season the Red Wings have one of the worst powerplays in the league. Brendan Shanahan is leading the league in powerplay goals... Coincidence? Oh, I think not.

Only because it's October and not April.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:57 PM   #180
cartman
Death Herald

Both goalies are looking strong so far tonight in the Stars-Sharks game.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:18 PM   #181
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
Both goalies are looking strong so far tonight in the Stars-Sharks game.

yea...San Jose is completely dominating this game though
Old 10-17-2006, 10:24 PM   #182
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

In about 20 hours, I'll be in Mellon Arena. I'll be dressed in a Devils hat and a Devils jersey, clutching a Sidney Crosby bobblehead, and preparing to see Evgeni Malkin's NHL debut. This should be fun, and I'm going to be dog tired at work on Thursday.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:36 PM   #183
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
In about 20 hours, I'll be in Mellon Arena. I'll be dressed in a Devils hat and a Devils jersey, clutching a Sidney Crosby bobblehead, and preparing to see Evgeni Malkin's NHL debut. This should be fun, and I'm going to be dog tired at work on Thursday.

You're not a face painter are you?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

Last edited by bbor : 10-17-2006 at 10:36 PM.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:36 PM   #184
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
You're not a face painter are you?
Gosh, I wish!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:38 PM   #185
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Gosh, I wish!

Will you at least wear mickey mouse ears?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:38 PM   #186
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:39 PM   #187
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola..Malkins back already??

Last edited by bbor : 10-17-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:54 PM   #188
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

The Sabres are getting scary...they made the Flyers look like a team of beer leaguers tonight. 9 to 1??
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #189
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Yikes. Carolina's recent run of good play will be put to a sore test in Buffalo. Of course, I can always think back to last year when Ottawa had a long win streak to start the season and we ended that. Then again, I think that one was at home....

Last edited by Wolfpack : 10-18-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:28 AM   #190
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I caught the second half of that Philly-Buffalo game. Buffalo looked scary good and Philly looked like crap. I never did understand the Rathje/Hatcher signings. They are only going to get older and slower. In that end-to-end rush Afinagenov (or however you spell his damn name) just blew by Hatcher and burried it.

It was also kind of sad to see the Flyers down 8-1 or whatever the score was at the time and then watch Andrew Peters level Forsberg and the Flyers only make the weakest of attempts for payback. That just seemed to lack any fire. I saw the same thing out of Phoenix last week.

I don't think the NHL needs to revert back to the benches clearing brawls days of the 70's and such, but the games I've watched really seem to lack some spark and passion. You would figure the new division-heavy schedule would make rivalries even more intense, but it just hasn't happened. Instead you just seem to get to watch the same two teams play each other 8 times without any real passion or spark.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #191
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So what's the deal between Esche and Hitchcock? I heard something about Esche responsing to a question about why he is playing so little by saying he didn't know what was going on inside Hitchcock's head, but there was probably nothing there anyway. So Hitchcock responds by leaving Esche in for 9 goals? Gotta love it!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #192
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So what's the deal between Esche and Hitchcock? I heard something about Esche responsing to a question about why he is playing so little by saying he didn't know what was going on inside Hitchcock's head, but there was probably nothing there anyway. So Hitchcock responds by leaving Esche in for 9 goals? Gotta love it!

Considering I have Nitty in a fantasy league, I did, in fact, love it!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #193
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Dola..Malkins back already??

Yes...he's like Ivan Drago...
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #194
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Yes...he's like Ivan Drago...

Malkin is the most perfectly trained athlete ever? Malkin is a look at the future?

Or is it just that whatever he hits, he destroys?

Having seen him play, I guess I would go with the former.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #195
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

*Must not jinx Sabres*
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #196
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Even though I'm a Devils fan, I'm warming up to the Penguins and want to see them do well. Obviously, I want the Devils to win tonight, but I want Malkin to be at his best. I'd hate to see him be tentative because of the injury. Ideally, the Devils could win 3-2 or something like that, and Brodeur can make some great saves against the youngsters in that Pittsburgh lineup.

The word is that Malkin and Crosby will play together on the power play. If the Devils take too many penalties (I'm looking at you, Sergei Brylin), those two kids are going to put on a show.

Eight hours until game time!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #197
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
*Must not jinx Sabres*

By all means, jinx. And do it by Thursday, please.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:30 PM   #198
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So the Flyers waive Nedved, Nolan Pratt, and Niko Dimitrakos after getting thrashed by Buffalo last night. Something had to give there...
Old 10-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #199
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Three more hours until MALKIN.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #200
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm very tired after the drive back from Pittsburgh (waited half an hour in the parking lot and then drove for an hour), so I'll make this quick. Malkin was very impressive. He scored the Penguins' only goal of the night, and he did a lot of fancy stick handling that drew "oohs" and "aahs" from the standing-room-only crowd. I was very impressed. Personally, I don't think his goal should have counted because he poked the puck through Brodeur's pads, and it looked like Marty was on top of the puck. Still, the whistle didn't blow, so it's a legal goal. I just think that the ref should have blown the whistle because he must have lost sight of the puck.

Anyway, the Devils won the game, 2-1. Everything worked out great for me. New Jersey won, Malkin played well, I have practically lost my voice from screaming "MARTY!" after every great save from Brodeur, and the wife and I got Sidney Crosby bobbleheads. I also shelled out $30 for an "Iceburgh" (the Pens' mascot) puppet for wifey. It was a fun night, but I'm going to be really tired tomorrow.

One quick side story: As we were leaving the Igloo, a couple came up to me and asked me for my bobblehead. I politely refused, and the female half of the couple started yelling at me, "ARE YOU GOING TO SELL IT? YOU DON'T EVEN LIKE PITTSBURGH! YOU CAN GIVE US THE BOBBLEHEAD!" The man had to drag her away from me.