Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2006, 05:03 PM   #151
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Yeah, I realized that, but, frankly, you sound like quite a few Pats fans. After the first SB win, they were shocked and fairly decent folks, but with the 2nd and 3rd they (not all) have become insufferably arrogant, IMO, to the point where what you joked about is something they may say seriously (and yes, I have actually heard a Pats fan claim Belichek is the greatest coach in the history of the game).

I have never been interested in describing an entire fan base. I think Boston is the worst city in America, and has the highest ratio of cranky bastids that could use a crack in the jaw of anyplace I've ever lived, but those are the teams I root for.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:04 PM   #152
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
I'm absolutely amazed that people still doubt the 2 time defending Super Bowl Champions. You would think people would have learned by now.

Oh, is this more of the 'The Patriots are the team to beat' rhetoric? If so, you can spare your fingers from typing out more of it because I am sure I've heard and read it all before.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #153
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I honestly had never heard of the rule before this thread. If it's a real rule that actually gets enforced and serves a real purpose, I'm all for appropriate punishment. It's just that your first post was quite a bit over the top in calling it 'blatant cheating.'

I didn't either honestly until after the game when the NFL spokesman said it was. I'm not calling McKay the antichrist but he had to know it was illegal since it was only weeks ago that they'd fined someone for breaking the rule.

Personally, I think the rule is stupid as are a lot of them and would support it being changed but it hasn't been and it's a rule and one of the heads of the rule committee did it and that's why I call it blatant cheating. If another coach/GM combo had done it, not so much. They might not have known the rule either though they should. Gruden offhandedly called it illegal in his post game press conference and laughed and said no more of it. He wasn't mad, he'd won but he knew.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #154
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Oh, is this more of the 'The Patriots are the team to beat' rhetoric? If so, you can spare your fingers from typing out more of it because I am sure I've heard and read it all before.

Really? I thought that your fingers were tired from all the "OMGTHEPATRIOTSSUXORZLOLOLOLOLOWTFBBQ!" bullshit that you were typing.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:09 PM   #155
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Really? I thought that your fingers were tired from all the "OMGTHEPATRIOTSSUXORZLOLOLOLOLOWTFBBQ!" bullshit that you were typing.

Already been addressed earlier in the thread.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:10 PM   #156
st.cronin
General Manager

I will say this: If the Patriots start Matt Cassel in the playoffs, and the Colts start Jim Sorgi, the Patriots will absolutely win. By 3 touchdowns.

knives out
Old 01-01-2006, 05:10 PM   #157
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I never actually commented on that specific situation. I was speaking in general terms. If what you said happened is what actually happened, then I agree that the result should have been what you are asking for. I was just arguing that there really is very little interest in honesty and integrity in professional sports.

I understand and agree with you but even in those situations I feel bad. I want my team to win because it did, not because it was given to them. I honestly still feel a tiny bit bad because we beat washington.

I'd like to believe Alstott was in. I want to believe Alstott was in. I honestly don't know that I do believe that he was in and it makes me feel a bit put off by the win. Honestly.

I'm glad we won the division though, we deserved it and these things do balance out. That game, not so much. I guess I'm not the normal fan.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #158
st.cronin
General Manager

By the way, I am only posting in this thread to torture the haters, amuse myself, and bore the rest of you.

Pats 20, Colts 3

knives out
Old 01-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #159
molson
General Manager

The Patriots have announced that their playoff game v. Jacksonville will be next Saturday, 8PM - the very early forecast calls for some show showers, lows around 20.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #160
WVUFAN
College Starter

More fodder for the Colts fans:

New England 20, St. Louis 17 (Super Bowl Victory #1)
New England 32, Carolina 29 (Super Bowl Victory #2)
New England 24, Philadelphia 21 (Super Bowl Victory #3)

How many does Indianapolis have again?
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #161
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Pats 20, Colts 3

Is that the Sorgi vs Cassel score prediction? I'd actually be more interested in your Pats/Jags prediction.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-01-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #162
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Is that the Sorgi vs Cassel score prediction? I'd actually be more interested in your Pats/Jags prediction.

Tom Brady is a very good looking man, isn't he?

knives out
Old 01-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #163
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:

No, that was the playoff score between the "invincible" Colts and the Patriots last year.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #164
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
No, that was the playoff score between the "invincible" Colts and the Patriots last year.

Nice job! I wasn't sure anybody would get that.

knives out
Old 01-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #165
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

pats v. jags...early prediction off the top of my head...pats by 10. although i think they may only win by 7. regardless, JAX won't score more than 1 TD.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #166
WVUFAN
College Starter

I remember that game very well, wearing my Bruschi jersey in a roomfull of Colts fans.

Good times. GOD I hate the Colts.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:20 PM   #167
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
More fodder for the Colts fans:

New England 20, St. Louis 17 (Super Bowl Victory #1)
New England 32, Carolina 29 (Super Bowl Victory #2)
New England 24, Philadelphia 21 (Super Bowl Victory #3)

How many does Indianapolis have again?

Baltimore 16, Dallas 13 (Super Bowl Victory #1)

As if this is a clear indication of who is going to win. New England has never beaten a previous Super Bowl winning team in the Super Bowl. They beat Carolina, Philadelphia, and St. Louis who have never won one. That's about how meaningful that sort of talk is.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:20 PM   #168
st.cronin
General Manager

I didn't even know Jacksonville HAD a football team. What are their colors?

knives out
Old 01-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #169
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Only the most idiotic of fans would say any team is "invincible."
Old 01-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #170
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Only the most idiotic of fans would say any team is "invincible."

Do you remember what the line was for that game last year?

knives out
Old 01-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #171
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Do you remember what the line was for that game last year?

No. When did this turn into a trivia game?
Old 01-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #172
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
No. When did this turn into a trivia game?

Well, trivia contests are more fun than morality debates, aren't they?

knives out
Old 01-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #173
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Well, trivia contests are more fun than morality debates, aren't they?

Not really.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #174
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:

As if this is a clear indication of who is going to win. New England has never beaten a previous Super Bowl winning team in the Super Bowl. They beat Carolina, Philadelphia, and St. Louis who have never won one. That's about how meaningful that sort of talk is.

Since the favorite to go to the Super Bowl in the NFC is Seattle, and they've never been there before, sounds like par for the course.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #175
st.cronin
General Manager

iirc the line for last year's afc title game was Colts -4. Meaning bettors thought the Colts were a touchdown better than the Patriots (home field advantage is considered to be worth 3 points).

knives out
Old 01-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #176
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but didn't the Rams just beat the Titans in the Super Bowl a couple years before the Patriots beat them?
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #177
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
New England has never beaten a previous Super Bowl winning team in the Super Bowl. They beat Carolina, Philadelphia, and St. Louis who have never won one.

Say what?

Old 01-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #178
Axxon
Pro Starter

Ok, since this is a hot issue I'll discuss rule breaking vs cheating. The rules call for a code of conduct ( not a moral code ) and a penalty for breaking that code.

A defender bumps a receiver so he can't catch a td pass. It's against the rules but it's not unethical to do since you'll pay a preagreed penalty for the action. The action isn't immoral it's against the rules and that's covered by the rules.

The receiver who traps the ball but pretends not to hoping it wasn't seen is cheating. He knows the rules and is trying to break them and not pay a penalty. I don't like it.

Most of them quickly realize they're busted and they smile and we all laugh with them. They're just scamps not cheaters. I don't like it.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:32 PM   #179
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Say what?

Heh. That's how much attention I've been paying the whole time in this thread. Bullshit finally got called out completely. I was trying to kill time hoping the morality issue would be debated.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-01-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #180
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Heh. That's how much attention I've been paying the whole time in this thread. Bullshit finally got called out completely. I was trying to kill time hoping the morality issue would be debated.

I have no interest at all in the discussion that was going on, so I wasn't trying to call out bullshit. Honestly, I've thought the whole Patriots-Colts talk for the past few years has been bullshit.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #181
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:

Um ... dude, you STARTED this thread with your asinine comments. Let me refresh your memory:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekneek
I love the Miami - New England score. So much for all the hype I've been hearing from Patriots fans that I know. Maybe this will help put a cap on all this "Everyone is afraid of the Patriots right now" and "Nobody can beat the Patriots now that they are healthy" bullshit they've been throwing around.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #182
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I have no interest at all in the discussion that was going on, so I wasn't trying to call out bullshit. Honestly, I've thought the whole Patriots-Colts talk for the past few years has been bullshit.

Sometimes it seems like those are the only two teams you are allowed to be a fan of. If you don't like one, you must be a fan of the other.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #183
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Um ... dude, you STARTED this thread with your asinine comments. Let me refresh your memory:

Which I explained later. Maybe you could read more of the thread. We moved on from that a long time ago, smartguy. I'm sorry if it makes you angry that I was just trying to stir the pot. I admit I didn't make it that obvious.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-01-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #184
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
A defender bumps a receiver so he can't catch a td pass. It's against the rules but it's not unethical to do since you'll pay a preagreed penalty for the action. The action isn't immoral it's against the rules and that's covered by the rules.

So, it isn't immoral to try and hurt the quarterback because they have that covered with the 'roughing the passer' penalty? It is ok to try twist a guy's head around by the facemask because they have a 15-yard facemask penalty in the game? What about a guy who does those things and then tries to claim they were clean plays after the game? Does that guy then reveal he is immoral when he lies about his actions?
Old 01-01-2006, 05:40 PM   #185
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Which I explained later. Maybe you could read more of the thread. We moved on from that a long time ago, smartguy.

Funny. I DID read the whole thread, including this:

Quote:
Oh, of course not. A 10-6 record finishing one game ahead of the Dolphins is very intimidating. Why should anyone be more intimidated of a 10-6 Patriots team than a 10-6 Chiefs team (that did not make the playoffs because they did not have cupcake Bills and Jets teams in their division)?

Which is yet another asinine comment. It's funny how you profess to not dislike the Pats but you go out of your way to insult them. You MUST be a Colts fan.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #186
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Funny. I DID read the whole thread, including this:

[/i]
Which is yet another asinine comment. It's funny how you profess to not dislike the Pats but you go out of your way to insult them. You MUST be a Colts fan.

I never said I loved either team. The Dolphins are my favorite team. Anything else?

EDIT... I don't like the Patriots, but it has everything to do with them being a divisional rival of the Dolphins and less to do with the Colts or anyother team on the planet.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-01-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #187
JeeberD
General Manager

Come on, Eagles, we need you to put this one away! (Ugh, it feels so WRONG rooting for them...why did the Falcons have to lay an egg this afternoon?)

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #188
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Yeah, I realized that, but, frankly, you sound like quite a few Pats fans. After the first SB win, they were shocked and fairly decent folks, but with the 2nd and 3rd they (not all) have become insufferably arrogant, IMO, to the point where what you joked about is something they may say seriously (and yes, I have actually heard a Pats fan claim Belichek is the greatest coach in the history of the game).

Why is that such a crazy argument? Not many coaches have won three SBs. If he wins a fourth, it will be hard to argue against him.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #189
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Come on, Eagles, we need you to put this one away! (Ugh, it feels so WRONG rooting for them...why did the Falcons have to lay an egg this afternoon?)

The Falcons, as a franchise, simply cannot put together two winning seasons in a row.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #190
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
I never said I loved either team. The Dolphins are my favorite team. Anything else?

EDIT... I don't like the Patriots, but it has everything to do with them being a divisional rival of the Dolphins and less to do with the Colts or anyother team on the planet.
Sure. New England Patriots -- AFC East Champions for the third straight year.

EDIT: I'm not angry. I am, however, a little tired of the Pats not getting the respect they deserve. :-)

Last edited by WVUFAN : 01-01-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #191
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

Imagine how cranky you'd be if your team had LOST to a 10-6 divisional rival led by their 3rd string qb (who, by the way, didn't start a single game in college).

knives out
Old 01-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #192
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

That explains the underlying Patriots hatred. You should have said that up front, it would have saved a lot of posting.

The reason the Colts and Patriots fans seem to dominate these discussions is that you rarely see another storyline that has lasted as long as this one. Or it ends up in its own thread, which Lions fans seem to prefer doing.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #193
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Sure. New England Patriots -- AFC East Champions for the third straight year.

In a division that pretty much sucked. Pardon me for being underwhelmed by the accomplishment.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #194
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Sometimes it seems like those are the only two teams you are allowed to be a fan of. If you don't like one, you must be a fan of the other.
It really does seem that way sometimes. The Colts are a great team, and the Patriots have won those recent Super Bowls, but there are a lot of Broncos fans (like me), Bengals fans, Jaguars fans, and Steelers fans who are looking forward to the AFC playoffs, too. As much as I like the Colts as people, I don't like them as a football team because of what they've done to the Broncos in the playoffs recently. I'm pretty sick of the Patriots and would really rather see any AFC team besides them or the Colts win the Super Bowl this year.

Even with all that said, I don't have anything against the fans of either team, and maybe I'm just not fanatic enough, but I don't get why people lose their minds over comments that have been made a hundred times before. Patriots fans say that the Colts can't win the big games. Colts fans (and others) say that they're tired of the Patriots being called unbeatable. So what? Why all the rage?

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 01-01-2006 at 05:47 PM. Reason: just correcting some spelling
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #195
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Imagine how cranky you'd be if your team had LOST to a 10-6 divisional rival led by their 3rd string qb (who, by the way, didn't start a single game in college).

Even if the Dolphins had lost today, I never expected that good of a record for this season. I only thought the win was meaningful when I figured the Patriots wanted to win the game. Once I discovered that they did not care, it meant nothing to me. A loss, regardless of who was QB, would have meant little for this season.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-01-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #196
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Freakin' Eagles.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #197
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just disgusting.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #198
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So what? Why all the rage?

It helps kill the time. It's why the NFL makes a lot of money.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:51 PM   #199
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

You know, everything inside of me was saying, "cheering for this miserable Eagle team is a recipe for defeat". They win when I don't want them to, and lose when I want them to win. God, I hate this team.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 01-01-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:52 PM   #200
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I love John Hall.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote