Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #151
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Anybody here have Final Fantasy III?

I'd like to open up some of the side quests, but I need to make contact with (at least one?) other FFIII player thru WiFi to do so. What a nuisance.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:28 AM   #152
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Anybody here have Final Fantasy III?

I'd like to open up some of the side quests, but I need to make contact with (at least one?) other FFIII player thru WiFi to do so. What a nuisance.

/tk

I'm playing the Japanese version of Final Fantasy III now. If the English and Japanese versions can connect, I'm game.

I didn't even realize there were side quests, nevermind that you need to connect via WiFi to unlock them. Do you just have to send a message of some sort to unlock them?
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #153
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
I'm playing the Japanese version of Final Fantasy III now. If the English and Japanese versions can connect, I'm game.

I didn't even realize there were side quests, nevermind that you need to connect via WiFi to unlock them. Do you just have to send a message of some sort to unlock them?

This is my understanding of how it all works:
1. You need to exchange 7 letters through the Moogles to unlock the side quests.
2. I do not know if this means 7 letters with humans or 7 letters total. If it's 7 total, then there are 6 NPC's you can exchange a letter with through the course of the game, so it means 1 with a human. If it's 7 human, I don't know if that means you need 7 different humans or 7 back and forth with one or whatever.
3. I don't know if the English and Japanese versions can talk (I assume they can), or if even players have to be online at the same time, since it's done through the Mognet thing. If you want to give it a try, my friend code for the game is:
1289-3675-1245
I don't know if I need your friend code to receive a mail. I guess we'll find out, if you want to try. If there's a time you want to try to get online if just sending one doesn't work without me being on for certain, let me know, we can talk over AIM, GTalk, PM, whatever...

At this point I'm more or less done with most of the game. I got through to the final boss on Sunday night and anybody who was online and talking to me on IM heard me whine and complain that I'd spent so long getting there, but there's only one point to save prior, and frankly it's about 30 minutes of "fast playing" (running from random battles, taking the shortest routes) or 1-1.5 hours of real playing in front of the final boss. The final boss killed my entire party in one round, though my guys were at level 61/62. My party was 1 summoner, 1 devout, 1 knight, and 1 ninja. Seriously frustrated, I'm trying to find other things to do while I level up to be able to survive the final battle. Or maybe my endgame tactic/party is wrong (if you've already gotteen there, any ideas on what I might have done wrong?).

Anyway. That's that.
/tk
Old 03-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #154
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I didn't even know you could exchange letters with the NPCs. I've just been blowing by those Moogles.

I entered your friend code but it said there was an error with it. I know than the Japanese and English Animal Crossing games couldn't talk with each other, so I'm guessing that's what's causing the problem.

If you'd like to try my friend code just to see if the same thing happens to you, here it is:

The final boss killed your party in one round and they were Level 61/62? Oh, my. That's depressing. So far I haven't had any problems with the save system, although at first I thought it was going to suck. The final boss sounds like the suck, though. I've been told good things about the geomancer job, but haven't tried that job yet.

I'm nowhere near as far as you. I've got the water crystal and am now stuck in Gordon's temple (no hints yet, thanks). I can't seem to find a way past the second level, and I've got no clue what to do with those statues in the rooms you unlock with a key.

I've made a blog about trying to play all the Final Fantasy games in Japanese. If you're interested, it's here. I'm in the middle of FF3 now. There are some decent people that occasionally make comments, so you might be able to post a comment there asking for a friend code.

Edit: Come to think of it, even faster might be the forums at Eyes on Final Fantasy. They have a dedicated thread to FF3 Friend codes, and the level of conversation is much better better that of the other Final Fantasy forums.

I'm now sure our versions can't exchange mail. I just tried some random friend codes from there and they all come up with the error message, but I went to a Japanese message board and was able to register a bunch of numbers no problem.

Lastly, it does appear to be seven messages to other humans. It doesn't matter whether it's seven messages to one human or to some combination of letters to different humans to get the seven total. You don't have to be online at the same time.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 03-07-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #155
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well, thanks for trying GB. Well that's a major nuisance that we can't exchange stuff, but thanks for the tip on the forum. I guess I'll go check them out.

You know, this entire thing of needing to open up side quests by exchanging letters with other players kind of bothers me. I don't play Final Fantasy games to be social, I play them to get into the game and absorbed in the world. Forcing me to exchange things is just asinine.

Oh well. I also checked out your site about playing them all in Japaenese. That's really cool! I'll be watching your progress.

I guess I'll head over to the FF forum you mentioned. What's the etiquette and atmosphere like over there?

Who knows, maybe I'll see if my endgame strategey is really boinked or if it's just really hard..

/tk
Old 03-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #156
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

It would have been nice for me as well. I'd like to open up those side quests, especially if I have to grind for a while to be able to take on the final dungeon.

Part of me agrees with you about the whole message requirement. In some bizarre way it reminds me of some of the tedious parts of playing an MMORPG, but I'm not sure why. But it's been kind of fun to get in touch with some Japanese people who are helping me to exchange the messages.

Glad you liked the blog. Thanks. It's been a fun little project.

That forum that I mentioned seems pretty mature, but I rarely go there. It was the only Final Fantasy forum I've found where members write complete sentences, though, and seems to have the best information.

I noticed a thread about the endgame strategy for Final Fantasy 3 over there as well. Might be of help. I think your job levels are just as important as your overall level, so maybe that has something to do with it?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #157
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ugh, the more I know about the system, I really hate it.
I got a couple of friend codes from the EOFF forums, one guy I PM'd said it was ok to try to send him a message...

The text-input system is uber stupid (the space bar key isn't on the same page, so to add a space or anything between your words you have to switch "screens") and then I went to send it and even though the friend codes are valid (it accepted them as I entered them), they won't let me select it.

And I think that if I want to do the side-quests properly I need to restart since I've already beaten some of the side-quest enemies in the side areas without having the specific side quest unlocked to do so, so I didn't get the reward I needed/wanted.

Oh I hate this game.
Edit: I've actually pondered starting over before, so that's not really the end of the world, but the beginning is soooo tedious.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 03-09-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #158
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Were you both entered in as friends? In my version, the number turns from gray to white when both parties have entered in a number. Only then can you send a message.

I've still got mixed feelings about the text messaging thing. I just got and received one in Japanese last night, but you can only include about four sentences. It's so little space to write anything, and even if you did want to write more, it would take forever clicking on all those little buttons.

Another dopey thing is that you can only send one message an hour, although you can trick it if you change the time on your DS internal clock.

Still, maybe I shouldn't be impressed, but for some reason I thought it was pretty neat that I could be in my living room and exchange a text message on my DS with someone in Japan. I suppose this is no greater than what a phone can do, but for some reason it feels different.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #159
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Were you both entered in as friends? In my version, the number turns from gray to white when both parties have entered in a number. Only then can you send a message.

I've still got mixed feelings about the text messaging thing. I just got and received one in Japanese last night, but you can only include about four sentences. It's so little space to write anything, and even if you did want to write more, it would take forever clicking on all those little buttons.

Another dopey thing is that you can only send one message an hour, although you can trick it if you change the time on your DS internal clock.

Still, maybe I shouldn't be impressed, but for some reason I thought it was pretty neat that I could be in my living room and exchange a text message on my DS with someone in Japan. I suppose this is no greater than what a phone can do, but for some reason it feels different.

I don't know actually if they have doen it all correctly. I've entered my friend codes then logged onto Mognet or whatever to register them all (i.e. enabled WiFi); since they're all greyed out still I have to imagine that either a) they haven't entered me and registered the code yet or b) it works differently than I expect.

I hate this system so much it really makes me want to quit plaiying the game. How f'n lame.

/tk
Old 03-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #160
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I've had some success with that Japanese forum I stumbled onto. Three of four people have registered my number. I've received a half dozen messages, and sent out three of four so far. Since I'm still playing the game, it's been pretty painless to fire off a quick note when I bump into one of those Mogu critters. The people who have registered my number seem like pretty cool people as well, so it's been kind of fun.

I can see where it would be frustrating if things don't go well, however. The other players definitely have to register your number for it to turn white and enable each of you to send messages. It might be worth searching for some other forums that have similar threads. I think IGN has a big code exchange thread as well, and their boards might be more active.

One person was telling me I've got to send (not receive) seven messages, so that might make it easier to complete the requirements if you can get just one person to register your number. Not sure if she's right or not, though, but she sounds like she knows what she's doing.

Apparently there is an Underwater Iron Giant who you can fight after the last boss, but that only happens if you've sent all those silly letters. The giant is supposedly much more difficult than the last boss.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #161
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well it seems that if you SEND 7 messages, then you can start to open up the other stuff. After sending 7, I sent a message to Toppa and was able to get a new message from him, so I think that's how it works.

I finally got 2 guys to activate their friend rosters, so it worked out well. I guess we'll see how this goes...

/tk
Old 03-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #162
MJ4H
Coordinator

I entered a contest of nintendoworldreport.com to win a free Nintendo DS. Amazingly, I won second prize in this contest, which oddly enough is:

A) A Nintendogs Plush Toy
and
B) A copy of Nintendogs for Nintendo DS

Now, I would not have entered the contest if I had a DS, so obviously at least B) is useless to me. I will probably be selling both, so is there anyone here that is interested in buying them from me? Not sure I'm selling A yet because the wife hasn't seen it, yet. But I don't want either of them and would like to sell them.

If that doesn't work out, what exactly should I do with these things?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #163
hukarez
College Starter

I managed to upgrade to a DS Lite not too long ago, and I ended up picking up my first WiFi capable game: Contact, by Atlus.

I'm a bit unfamiliar as how the WiFi thing works, but I'm assuming that if anyone else has the same game, we can figure out how to exchange codes that way? Drop me a line if anyone who has the game is interested!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:56 AM   #164
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
I managed to upgrade to a DS Lite not too long ago, and I ended up picking up my first WiFi capable game: Contact, by Atlus.

I'm a bit unfamiliar as how the WiFi thing works, but I'm assuming that if anyone else has the same game, we can figure out how to exchange codes that way? Drop me a line if anyone who has the game is interested!

I have Contact. I have no idea how the WiFi in it works, and I actually haven't played much of it yet, but I'm more than happy to give it a go to see what the heck to do with the wifi.

/tk
Old 04-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #165
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Stupid question.....

Both of these new Pokemon games are both basically the same, correct? The only real difference between the two is the collection of pokemon available?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #166
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Stupid question.....

Both of these new Pokemon games are both basically the same, correct? The only real difference between the two is the collection of pokemon available?

Yep. Some Pokemon are available only in one, some only in the other.

I'm getting Diamond (diamonds are a girl's best friend!) and SI is getting Pearl.

/tk
Old 04-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #167
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
I have Contact. I have no idea how the WiFi in it works, and I actually haven't played much of it yet, but I'm more than happy to give it a go to see what the heck to do with the wifi.

/tk

Cool! I spent all night getting my WiFi thing registered on Nintendowifi.com.

Think I had to change my wireless router's mode to Mixed or something, and downgrade from WPA to WEP, but it finally connected. Also, here's the friend key associated with my copy for future reference:

3952 3456 5612
tweet tweet twitter
Old 04-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #168
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep. Some Pokemon are available only in one, some only in the other.

I'm getting Diamond (diamonds are a girl's best friend!) and SI is getting Pearl.

/tk

I believe I pre-ordered Diamond for my daughter. She seems pretty stoked about it.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #169
hukarez
College Starter

My sister was able to secure a copy of Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin for me! Managed to figure out my friend code for it:

tweet tweet twitter
Old 04-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #170
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My sister was able to secure a copy of Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin for me! Managed to figure out my friend code for it:

Nice sister!
I haven't played PoR yet, but I have that. And I'll be posting up my info for Contact soon.

/tk
Old 04-22-2007, 06:26 PM   #171
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I got Clubhouse Games this past week at a CompUSA that was going out of business and I'll have my copy of Pokemon tomorrow so that'll be two new friend codes for the thread.

You know, it might be time to go back through the thread and update it for all the new friend codes sometime this week.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:38 PM   #172
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I bought Pokemon Diamond for the DS this afternoon on a whim. Never played a Pokemon game before.

Haven't figured out how to find the friend code yet, but will post it when I do.

Messed around with the game for a half hour this evening. Took Piplup as a starter Pokemon. I expected it to be much more basic (as in a five-year-old could play it). Not sure what to make of things yet, but the game looks like it has some meat to it.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #173
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I know SI and I will be playing Pokemon to breed and trade, so if you decide you might be into that (and have a US version!) let us know.

/tk
Old 04-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #174
MJ4H
Coordinator

It is safe to say, after reading that post, that I have absolutely no idea what goes on in a Pokemon game???????
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #175
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
It is safe to say, after reading that post, that I have absolutely no idea what goes on in a Pokemon game???????

You know, it's kind of hard to explain the draw, but I will say that what draws me to the Final Fantasy series is the same that draws me to Pokemon.

It's kind of like a role-playing game. You start the game with one of three Pokemon, each which has its advantages and disadvantages, long-term and short-term. You go through the world of Pokemon, with the goals of:
a) training your Pokemon (by leveling them up, you get them to learn new attack skills, etc)
b) battling other trainers (each "area" or "level" of the game has a boss battle)
and c) collecting other Pokemon (which gives you more flexiblity in fighting bosses, etc)

Later in the game, you can breed Pokemon. In LeafGreen (one of the iterations for the GBA), you can drop 2 Pokemon off at a daycare center, and come back to find that an egg has been found, from which a new Pokemon will hatch.

I guess one of the things I like to do in FF games is be complete...gain all the ultimate weapons, do all the side-quests, etc. Pokemon is another game that you can play on many different levels--to just beat it like you would any other RPG, to gain the ultimate party, to collect all the breeds possible...

In Pokemon, you can also trade Pokemon with other players--in order to "catch 'em all" you can't have just one version of the game--some Pokemon are only in one version, some only in the other. There are also fossils you can pick up along the way that can get turned into other Pokemon, so for example, you can complete your collection by working with another person. Which is in part why SI and I have different versions of the game.

I know, it's dorky. But it's a surprisingly entertaining and addictive game. SI got me into it a few years ago, when LeafGreen/FireRed came out, and it's definitely a game I go back to often. Now I have Diamond for the DS. Can't wait to start.

/tk
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 PM   #176
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Well, a short 30-minute Pokemon break this afternoon ended up 90 minutes.

Very addictive. Terpkristin's right on with her description. In a way the game reminds me of Monster Rancher, but this is better.

I have no idea what I'm doing other than running around battling and catching Pokemon.

Here's my friend code for the game: 4510 6948 6438
Old 04-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #177
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, a short 30-minute Pokemon break this afternoon ended up 90 minutes.

Very addictive. Terpkristin's right on with her description. In a way the game reminds me of Monster Rancher, but this is better.

I have no idea what I'm doing other than running around battling and catching Pokemon.

Here's my friend code for the game: 4510 6948 6438

Where do you use the WiFi for it? Is it on the bottom floor of the Pokemon Centers?

/tk
Old 04-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #178
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post

I always thought it was a lot like Zelda, but the battles were different. Old style, anyways.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #179
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Where do you use the WiFi for it? Is it on the bottom floor of the Pokemon Centers?

/tk

Yes, it is on the bottom floor, which you can access once you reach the Pokemon Center in Oreburgh City.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #180
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I always thought it was a lot like Zelda, but the battles were different. Old style, anyways.

More accurate would be like Dragon Warrior/Quest. That's the series I liken the play most to.

SI

Old 04-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #181
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
Yes, it is on the bottom floor, which you can access once you reach the Pokemon Center in Oreburgh City.

Good deal. I should get there tonight. Thankfully my starter (the turtle) is female so breeding won't be too difficult once I find the breeding center.

SI

Old 04-24-2007, 06:01 PM   #182
Vince
Pro Starter

So, tk and Godzilla Blitz...

I have been dying, for years, to get my hands on FF III. However, I do not know Japanese, and this has made it difficult. I'm sorely tempted to buy a DS, if only to play this game. I've heard there are many other games for DS I would probably like, so the system itself wouldn't be simply for one game...but how is Final Fantasy III? I don't really have the money to plunk down $200 on the system and a game right now, but if this game is all it is cracked up to be (I've heard nothing but great things), I might be able to scrounge up some money more quickly than I would have otherwise.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 04-24-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #183
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
So, tk and Godzilla Blitz...

I have been dying, for years, to get my hands on FF III. However, I do not know Japanese, and this has made it difficult. I'm sorely tempted to buy a DS, if only to play this game. I've heard there are many other games for DS I would probably like, so the system itself wouldn't be simply for one game...but how is Final Fantasy III? I don't really have the money to plunk down $200 on the system and a game right now, but if this game is all it is cracked up to be (I've heard nothing but great things), I might be able to scrounge up some money more quickly than I would have otherwise.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will admit I felt that the money gained by winning battles was unbalanced compared to the money you might want to upgrade armor and stuff, but then again, some of the boss battles were tough so it was almost worth it to stick around leveling up a bit (whereby in the process you also gained money). There is a lot to do, including the side-quests (one of which I haven't completed and don't know that I will--it's sort of a 2nd boss battle and when I go into it, I get killed in 1 or 2 turns, even with 2 of my characters healing....then again, it is a total "extra" so I just need to spend more time leveling up a bit).

I do fully think there are a plethora of great games for the DS, so even if you only bought FF3 at first, you'd be entertained enough to justify it....and then get more games as $$ allows (check cheapassgamer.com for deals, and look at EB Games for used stuff, there are quality games that are used).

I did enjoy the game, and one day I'll even finish it out completely. But now that Pokemon is here, that day is not now.

/tk
Old 04-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #184
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
I have Pokemon Diamond.
My friend code is: 3050 4071 4399

I'm going to add GB to my list in a sec, and SI whenever he posts.

/tk
Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #185
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Updated the first post with all of the friend codes in the thread.

Also, added a bunch for myself:

Pokemon Pearl: 4940 1927 1872
I think we need names for characters but I'm not sure (mine is Sterlyn)
(added GB and tk)

I'm kindof on the fence about trading up my old Pokemon. I collected about 370 of the 386 from the previous generation and put them all on Pokemon Box. So, in theory, I could trade a ton of rare stuff up to this gen but I'm just not sure I want to do that since it's a one way trip.

Clubhouse Games: 0387 5274 4487

Metroid Prime Hunters: 1590 1182 8962

Tony Hawk American Sk8tland: 395235030450

Castlevania PoR: don't know code

SI

Old 04-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #186
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
I bought Pokemon Diamond for the DS this afternoon on a whim. Never played a Pokemon game before.

Haven't figured out how to find the friend code yet, but will post it when I do.

Messed around with the game for a half hour this evening. Took Piplup as a starter Pokemon. I expected it to be much more basic (as in a five-year-old could play it). Not sure what to make of things yet, but the game looks like it has some meat to it.

Quick question, does this latest iteration of the game include the past GBA games' characters for play? Not sure if it makes sense, but my friend had apparently collected and played the GBA games for awhile, since Red and Blue, and mentioned something about 150 existing between two versions. I guess the question is (and I haven't been able to confirm this on any site) is if this latest version includes not only 107 additions, but also the additions from the GBA series - or is it strictly just 107 you can basically toy around with? Hope that makes sense...
tweet tweet twitter
Old 04-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #187
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm kindof on the fence about trading up my old Pokemon. I collected about 370 of the 386 from the previous generation and put them all on Pokemon Box. So, in theory, I could trade a ton of rare stuff up to this gen but I'm just not sure I want to do that since it's a one way trip.
Only 48 of the old pokemon are not in the new games. The 9 old starters and their evolutions (a total of 27 pokemon) and the 21 old legendaries. So, you really don't need to transfer your old pokemon over. I know I will eventually transfer each of the 9 old starters over into the new game, since those can breed. I haven't decided about transfering the legendaries over, since I don't use them because they can't breed. I might do it eventually just to add the entries to the pokedex, but since I don't have all the legendaries I can't complete the pokedex anyway.

I was only missing 4 of the previous 386 pokemon in the GBA games, Mew, Lugia, Celebi, and Deoxys. I can get Lugia, if I ever finish Pokemon XD on the gamecube, but I have just not had the motivation to play a game just to obtain one new pokemon. At least in Pokemon Colosseum there were quite a few new GBA pokemon that you could get. They were new at that time since Emerald was not out, but also not new since they were from the old GB games. (I do have a Lugia in the old GB games, too.) And, Pokemon Colosseum gave me the GBA generation of Ho-oh and Jirachi (with the pre-order disc.)

I like the game so far. Only one badge, so I am no longer a "noob" according to the game. Heh. The pokemon watch is an interesting piece of equipment. I am glad they brought back the day/night cycle into the game. Also, I don't want to spoil anything, but I thought it was interesting what you can now do with your pokemon on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the TV station in Jubilife City.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:53 PM   #188
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If you have both Diamond and Pearl, 445 Pokemon are obtainable between the two without any backwards trading, so the majority are available. Legendaries and starters are the ones not really available.

http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/unobtainables.shtml

Whoops... looks like I was beaten to it with the post above.

I should go dig up my old list- see what all I was still missing. I know I was missing Celebi and Deoxys. I got Lugia from XD and tk was kind enough to snag a Mew for me a while back at one of the TRU events.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-24-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #189
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Quick question, does this latest iteration of the game include the past GBA games' characters for play? Not sure if it makes sense, but my friend had apparently collected and played the GBA games for awhile, since Red and Blue, and mentioned something about 150 existing between two versions. I guess the question is (and I haven't been able to confirm this on any site) is if this latest version includes not only 107 additions, but also the additions from the GBA series - or is it strictly just 107 you can basically toy around with? Hope that makes sense...

It includes some of them. There are again 150 between the two versions (Diamond and Pearl) for the beginning game that include a mix of the new pokemon and a few of the old ones. However, I believe, once you have completed your pokedex (seen all 150) and beaten the Elite Four then new areas open up and almost all of the old pokemon are obtainable (except the old starters and the old legendaries). Also, it is at this time that you can now transfer your GBA pokemon into your DS game.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #190
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm with SI, I'm not going to do any transfers, especially not yet, I'm not so sure I like the idea of the one-way thing.

My name in-game is Kristin. I've noted GB as GB, and will add SI in a sec.

/tk
Old 04-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #191
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, tk and I managed a trade without much difficulty. Tho, she did get a communication error at the end but the Pokemon were still traded.

I'd be interested in trading just to get player ID's if nothing else for anyone else interested.

SI

Old 04-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #192
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, the Global Trade thing is really neat. I got a Piplup today from someone in Tokyo because in Japan, it's getting pretty popular to try and grab American Pokemon (see below). Basically, you stick a Pokemon up for trade there and what your request is and, hopefully, the next time you check, you've gotten something.

Sure, there are idiots looking to trade their Magikarps for Lucario. But this is a decent way to get some neat Pokemon with Magikarp and patience. BTW, to request a Pokemon you have to have seen it in the Pokedex so you can't just do crazy stuff right off the bat.

http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/foreign.shtml

SI

Old 04-28-2007, 03:23 AM   #193
hukarez
College Starter

Dammit...!

Picked up Pearl today, while my buddy picked up Diamond. I suppose if I figure out where to figure out friend codes, I'm down to post it. Still kind of new at this, to be honest.. I didn't realize enslaving animals could be this much fun! Or at least, I'm told that's what you do eventually. I think..
tweet tweet twitter
Old 04-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #194
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dammit...!

Picked up Pearl today, while my buddy picked up Diamond. I suppose if I figure out where to figure out friend codes, I'm down to post it. Still kind of new at this, to be honest.. I didn't realize enslaving animals could be this much fun! Or at least, I'm told that's what you do eventually. I think..

Don't think of it as enslaving animals, think of it as cockfighting with cute animals... wait, that's not much better

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-28-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #195
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just seeing how everyone is faring in Pokemon. I tried to make my post as spoiler free as possible but I did drop in the tag to be on the safe side.

Spoiler

SI

Old 04-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #196
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Don't think of it as enslaving animals, think of it as cockfighting with cute animals... wait, that's not much better

SI

Alright, after having been up since 4am, I think I'm finally at that city where I can get my friend code. Here it is, folks!

0043 9334 9412

I'm going to go ahead and add anyone else to my Pal Pad.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 04-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #197
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Alright, after having been up since 4am, I think I'm finally at that city where I can get my friend code. Here it is, folks!

0043 9334 9412

I'm going to go ahead and add anyone else to my Pal Pad.

Added to the first post in the thread and I've added you in my Pal Pad

SI

Old 04-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #198
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I'll enter everyone's Pokemon codes later this evening.

Pokemon has been a blast. I got my second badge yesterday. I'm basically taking it slow and easy, trying to have fun and not race through the game. The combat has been pretty easy so far against the AI enemies. I can see where it would be much more fun against humans.

I've traded two Magikarp to Japanese people for the two starter pokemon I didn't have. Apparently there are some variations on the pokedex entries between the Japanese and US versions, so there are a dozen or so Pokemon that are pretty popular with the Japanese. Magikarp is one of those. Be sure to give it a nickname first, however, before you put it up on the GTS.

Vince: Sorry, wasn't avoiding you. I missed this thread the past day or two. I'd give Final Fantasy III a 4 out of 5 at this point. I've only played FF1 and FF2, however, so I can't really compare it to the other games in the series. I'm liking the combat quite a bit, and the game's scale and pace feel right. The story, to me, is like following a random acid trip. I'm playing it in Japanese, though, so I miss stuff on occasion.

The game is readily available in English now. Target had it on sale a couple of weeks ago for $24. A DS is what, $130? So you might be looking at more like $160 after tax, if you can find a good deal on FF3.

The DS on the whole, though, has been the best gaming purchase I've made in a long time, and that includes the Wii. I'd say 80% of my gaming in the past year has been on the DS.

hukarez: Sounds like you've gotten your answer. Sorry I missed the question the first time.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 04-28-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #199
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've traded two Magikarp to Japanese people for the two starter pokemon I didn't have. Apparently there are some variations on the pokedex entries between the Japanese and US versions, so there are a dozen or so Pokemon that are pretty popular with the Japanese. Magikarp is one of those. Be sure to give it a nickname first, however, before you put it up on the GTS.

http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/foreign.shtml

There's the list. I've been having good luck getting Japanese ones in exchange by offering up my level 5ish Magikarps for level 10+ of the Japanese ones (I've got 3 of the 4 I've seen so far- karp, Psyduck, and Pikachu with one out there for Ponyta now). When I was offering level 5 Magikarp for "Any level", I was getting people who just wanted to trade for the sake of trading. But if you ask for 10+, those are people who have a little more vested interest in what you are asking for and what you are offering.

SI

Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #200
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I have Godzilla Blitz (listed as GB) and hukarez (listed as hukarez) on my pal pad.

If anybody wants to trade stuff or whatever, just find me on AIM or GTalk and I'll be down with that.

I've gotten a Japanese Piplup and Turtwig (the 2 starters, may have spelled them wrong), and a Japanese Magikarp and Psyduck.

I really need to get moving in the game. Still haven't gotten to the 2nd gym. Yeah, I'm being slow, too much RL crap going on right now...

/tk