Old 07-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #151
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Old 07-30-2008, 02:26 AM   #152
Spree
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
I will call your Alex Smith and raise you Joey Harrington.

I'm all in with Ryan Leaf.
Spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #153
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
hi douche. trying learning to comprehend what you read. his statement was that for every franchise QB that goes to another team and succeeds - there are far more who won't. thus, using QBs who were "the man" on a previous team doesn't ensure future success. that's what he's saying, and he's incorrect.

as far as the "for every guy that succeeds there's 20 that fail", i hope you get a job with that amazing analysis and surprising revelation. you mean more QBs will not make it in the NFL than guys that do??? astounding!!! did you want to tell me something about Lance Bass that we may not already know?

He's not saying that at all. Your reading skills mirror that of a three year old.

Alex Smith isn't a franchise QB. The team WANTS him to be a franchise QB, but he hasn't lived up to the hype. He's NOT the MAN on his team. And the point QS is making is that he'll likely never be the man.

The fact you pointed it out like that makes most of your other comments asinine. Rich Gannon was never meant to be the Man on the Vikings for example. He was nothing more than a functional QB project with a weak arm. They were already making plans to have Sean Salisbury start when Gannon tore his rotator cuff and was released. (Really sounds like being the man there, doesn't it? I mean, he was about to lose his job to Sean Salisbury. I guess Salisbury was THE MAN too, huh?)

So QS's point stll stands and is still correct. For all of the guys you mention as recovering from a horrible two or three year start, very few ever make it big with someone else. Most, like Heath Schuler or Akili Smith really are what they are. (that'd be horrible NFL QB's) Is Alex Smith that way? What he does this year will go a long way to determining that, but the numbers don't look good at all now.

His comments were never about someone who was actually a functional QB who just didn't live up to the hype. His comments were more about garbage QB's continuing to be garbage QB's no matter what the people trying to justify reasons for their slow development want to believe.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #154
chesapeake
College Starter

The 49ers have very likely ruined a guy with good talent. In a stable situation surrounded by average NFL talent, maybe Smith succeeds, maybe he doesn't. But in the cesspool that the SF 49ers have become, we'll never know. I'm not sure even an Aikman or Manning (your choice) could have succeeded with the revolving door approach to coaching they have there.

At this point in his career, busting out a big season for SF seems highly unlikely. He probably will get picked up by someone. Maybe he'll be one of those guys that gets to sit as a backup for a couple of years, have time to master a system, and then restart a career when the starter goes down.

And maybe he'll always suck. I hope not.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #155
Logan
Head Coach

Can't really blame the "revolving door" when bringing in Norv Turner brought the best out of Smith and he started making real progress, and Turner took a promotion which caused Smith to regress.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #156
Vince
Pro Starter

I'm aware that I'm a fanboy to the hilt...but I really think what Logan says is the truth...the revolving door at Offensive Coordinator has killed him.

I sadly don't think he'll ever make it in San Francisco - unless he has a flat-out amazing year this season (I'm talking MVP type numbers), people are going to be disappointed in him and will be calling for a change.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #157
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Both of these guys were picked in the top ten of the draft, by teams that intended to make them franchise quarterbacks. Did either of them, by any reasonable estimation, really overcome the bust label and demonstrate that they were really worthy of being a "franchise QB" selection?

By the way -- yes, I am aware that Trent Dilfer has a SB ring, I think it's been pretty well documented, top to bottom, what happened with that team.

I'm not trying to say it's impossible, nor that it never happens... but I think for every high pick who gets a second and third chance for these reasons and actually really works out, there are probably five more who really are the busts they appear to be.
My argument is less that they weren't franchise QB's and more that giving them a 2nd/3rd chance wasn't a bad idea, and that there is a level between bust and franchise QB. There aren't that many "franchise QB's" in the NFL, 11 at best by my count (Brady, P. Manning, Favre, Romo, Palmer, Brees, McNair, McNabb, Roethlisberger, Hasselbeck and maybe Rivers)* less than one coming in per year. That leaves 20+ teams searching for an adequate starter. Getting a Trent Dilfer or Vinny Testaverde isn't a bad thing, and merely being a competent NFL starter means you weren't a bust in my eyes. (TroyF assertions aside, Trent Dilfer was a good QB 97-99 in TB, 2000 with BAL and did well as SEA's backup the next couple years.) Even Joey Harrington was a top-20 QB last year by the stats at FO. I still think there's a great argument against drafting a QB 1st-round, partly for cap reasons, but partly because you just aren't likely to draft a franchise QB.

It's also interesting that out of the top 10 picks that turned into franchise QB's, 2 struggled mightily early on, McNabb's rookie season being one of the worst of the past decade and McNair muddling in mediocrity for a good number of years. 3 more sat out their first year+ while only one was thrown into the fire as a rookie and survived (2 if we include Drew Bledsoe, who could still be starting in the league.) Meanwhile, a number of QB's that started strong wound up killing their team for a couple years just as much - Kerry Collins, Pennington, Culpepper.

* - If you're wondering where Eli Manning is, he's not a good QB, at least yet. He's been 2/4/1 in INT's and hasn't been in the top 30 Y/A his 3 years as a starter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
back in '98 if you were Bill Polian you could've flipped a coin to determine whether to taken Manning or Leaf #1 overall.
I've seen interviews with Polian where he basically laughed at the suggestion he was ever considering Leaf over Manning. It's easy to say in hindsight, but I'm pretty sure from Manning's freshman year on he was regarded as the surest bet to be a franchise QB in years, possibly ever.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-30-2008 at 10:20 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:35 AM   #158
Spree
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
I'm aware that I'm a fanboy to the hilt...but I really think what Logan says is the truth...the revolving door at Offensive Coordinator has killed him.

I sadly don't think he'll ever make it in San Francisco - unless he has a flat-out amazing year this season (I'm talking MVP type numbers), people are going to be disappointed in him and will be calling for a change.

If he carries the team to the playoffs with decent numbers, I see no reason why 49er fans would be calling for his head.
Spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #159
Vince
Pro Starter

Well, I'm trying to temper my expectations this season, and I really think that the playoffs are a stretch.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #160
Bad-example
College Starter

I don't know how long it will last, but J.T. O'Sullivan is currently the 49ers starter halfway through the exhibition season. I don't think anyone expected the dark horse to be leading the pack at this point.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #161
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm about ready to claim victory in the Darko Milicek is a bust thread, I was wondering if I could just do a two-fer and claim victory here as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #162
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Another Brett Favre backup FTW. They seem to make their way around the league, good or bad.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #163
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If J.T. O'Sullivan starts this season, then that would mean that Jim Haslet kept three starting-level QBs (Delhomme, Bulger, O'Sullivan) on the bench so that Aaron Brooks could keep starting for the Saints.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #164
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I wouldn't put O'Sullivan in the class of Delhomme and Bulger yet even if he starts, and I don't even have those two guys in a high class.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #165
DeToxRox
Head Coach

O'Sullivan is atrocious. Even if he was on the Lions, he couldn't get the ball to Roy or Calvin when he had the time. He is a Martz project that he wants to showcase as his "I am still a guru, just look!" persona.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #166
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Another Brett Favre backup FTW. They seem to make their way around the league, good or bad.
Favre is now demanding a trade to San Fran so he can bury the kid, then leave again.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #167
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
O'Sullivan is atrocious. Even if he was on the Lions, he couldn't get the ball to Roy or Calvin when he had the time. He is a Martz project that he wants to showcase as his "I am still a guru, just look!" persona.

DeTox is wise. O'Sullivan is awful.

How bad is J.T. O'Sullivan, you ask?

J.T. O'Sullivan is so bad that The Hand of God descended upon Ford Field and healed Jon Kitna's concussion because God, Himself, couldn't handle watching O'Sullivan play anymore.

He's a creature of Martz (O'Sullivan, not the Almighty). Good luck with that!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-19-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #168
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
DeTox is wise. O'Sullivan is awful.

How bad is J.T. O'Sullivan, you ask?

J.T. O'Sullivan is so bad that The Hand of God descended upon Ford Field and healed Jon Kitna's concussion because God, Himself, couldn't handle watching O'Sullivan play anymore.

He's a creature of Martz (O'Sullivan, not the Almighty). Good luck with that!

Well said.

Martz is licking his lips, waiting for Nolan to be shit canned so he can do whatever it takes to be back as a head coach in the NFL.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #169
Huckleberry
College Starter

O'Sullivan has been named the Week 1 starter.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #170
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
*trips into the guestroom

We have the facts and we're voting YES>
Old 09-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #171
stevew
Hall Of Famer

ESPN - Niners QB Smith has broken shoulder, won't play this season - NFL

Quote:
Niners QB Smith has broken shoulder, won't play this season

I can't wait till they fire the "Suit of Failure" as well.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #172
Bad-example
College Starter

One more chance for Smith to prove he can QB the 49ers.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #173
RedKingGold
College Starter

He looked really good on Sunday and I think the coaching staff is finally starting to call plays he's comfortable with. Also, it helps that VD and Crabtree look like legit offensive weapons. So long as Gore is healthy, this is not only Smith's last chance to make it but also his best.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #174
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm just glad the Niners are respectable again. It was bad seeing how far they had fallen.

Smith may be somewhat successful in a shotgun type atmosphere. But I think that will neutralize Gore. Who still is their best offensive player. Maybe they can get him a lot of screen looks.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #175
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm just glad the Niners are respectable again. It was bad seeing how far they had fallen.

Smith may be somewhat successful in a shotgun type atmosphere. But I think that will neutralize Gore. Who still is their best offensive player. Maybe they can get him a lot of screen looks.

I actually think the opposite. Teams have been dumping 8 players in the box because they know Hill couldn't throw over the top of them. Smith can, and if they spread the field with 3 WR sets + Davis, I think it will give Gore more room to run. Say what you will about Alex Smith, but he can stretch the field far better than Shaun Hill ever could.

It would also be nice if the OL would remember how to block consistently.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #176
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I hope people can curb their impatience if the 49ers get pulverized in Indy this Sunday. Both of my fantasy QB's (Brady and Palmer) were on bye this week, and I toyed with the idea of picking up Smith off the wire, but remembered they were playing the Colts and thought better of it.

I still hope he pans out, just so I can point and laugh at Detox.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #177
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was speaking more specifically about running out of the shotgun formation.

I didn't get to see the game on Sunday but I would be shocked if he took many conventional snap looks.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #178
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I was speaking more specifically about running out of the shotgun formation.

I didn't get to see the game on Sunday but I would be shocked if he took many conventional snap looks.

Don't forget that the Niners were down 21-0 when Smith came into the game. I would have to imagine they'll start the game with some focus on the run..but who knows?
Old 10-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #179
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I worry HUGELY about the pass rush. They've got Rachal and Snyder both starting on the right side, and the Offensive Line is going to be absolutely destroyed by Freeney and Mathis. I'd imagine the Colts won't even have to blitz, so they'll be able to leave 7 in coverage, and that the 49ers are going to have a VERY hard time all game long.

Sigh.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #180
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And that's a wrap.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #181
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
And that's a wrap.

Considering they could go back to him, it's not 100%. But really, I don't think he really has a chance at being a starter anywhere at this point. He's just a temp fill in for the next guy at best.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #182
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Considering they could go back to him, it's not 100%. But really, I don't think he really has a chance at being a starter anywhere at this point. He's just a temp fill in for the next guy at best.

I would not go that far. I could see him landing in Washington, Tennessee, Minnesota, Arizona and Seattle all come to mind as teams with whom he could at least compete for a starting job.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #183
RedKingGold
College Starter

I'm a believer again.

Seriously, would you rather have Smith or Mike Vick right now?
Old 11-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #184
RedKingGold
College Starter

By the way, a lot of banned users have posted in this thread. Quite comical reading it back.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #185
booradley
High School Varsity

"Hi Douche" was pretty much the comment that made this thread. Just sayin ...
booradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #186
SteveMax58
College Starter

Wow...unbelievable to think the conversation on Alex Smith has been going on for this long. I mean... if pressed for the year he was drafted, I would probably get it after a little thought but hard to believe this was 6+ years ago.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #187
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

While I think Smith was dicked around with much of his career I think Harbaugh is a master at handeling qbs. His former QB is going to be the #1 overall pick and now it appears he has given Smith the confidence to become a reliable qb.

I put much of this on Harbaugh.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #188
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Alex Smith hasn't blown a playoff game, yet. At least he has that going.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #189
Dutch
"Dutch"

You have to blame Jim Harbaugh for the realization of 1.1 Alex Smith. Mike Singletary's googly eyed approach to coaching couldn't crack the code...but apparently knowing a little something about NFL offenses has the right effect.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #190
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
You have to blame Jim Harbaugh for the realization of 1.1 Alex Smith. Mike Singletary's googly eyed approach to coaching couldn't crack the code...but apparently knowing a little something about NFL offenses has the right effect.

Harbaugh is genius.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #191
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Harbaugh is genius.

Or at least antidope.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #192
dave731
High School JV

Harbaugh puts Alex Smith in Room 23 while images of Montana and Young cycle through with messages like "YOU ARE AN ELITE QUARTERBACK"

It appears to be having the desired effect! I will take 8-1!!
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #193
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Harbaugh is genius.

Interesting piece on the adjustments he's made:
Chris Brown on the success of the 49ers and Alex Smith - Grantland
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #194
Barkeep49
Coordinator

That Grantland piece is really good reading and I definitely recommend it.

I think that Smith is in the Trent Dilfer category meaning that he's a good enough QB not to lose a Super Bowl, but the 49'ers defense and running game aren't (unfortunately) good enough to win one. And I never would have thought Smith would reach that level.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #195
AgustusM
College Prospect

I love Harbaugh and as a life long Niner fan had been hoping he would get the job after seeing what he was able to do at Stanford.

I also really enjoy the smartfootball website and read it every week.

But this article seemed to imply that Harbugh invented the "hot" route concept, which is nonsense. It has been around forever - hell we have used in our high school blocking schemes for the past decade.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:14 AM   #196
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
But this article seemed to imply that Harbugh invented the "hot" route concept, which is nonsense. It has been around forever - hell we have used in our high school blocking schemes for the past decade.

I believe that is sort of the point they are making, only in reverse : Harbough was willing to implement sth so basic that has a relatively low complexity in a league where the consensus is that you need to make things more complex rather than more basic to win.

They aren´t lauding him for inventing it, they are lauding him for using it at the highest level.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 AM   #197
RainMaker
General Manager

I seriously can't believe that he has turned them into an 8-1 team without any of the offseason stuff. Is there any doubt he wins Coach of the Year?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #198
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I believe that is sort of the point they are making, only in reverse : Harbough was willing to implement sth so basic that has a relatively low complexity in a league where the consensus is that you need to make things more complex rather than more basic to win.

They aren´t lauding him for inventing it, they are lauding him for using it at the highest level.

got it, that wasn't what I got when I read it, but that makes perfect sense.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #199
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I think that Smith is in the Trent Dilfer category meaning that he's a good enough QB not to lose a Super Bowl, but the 49'ers defense and running game aren't (unfortunately) good enough to win one. And I never would have thought Smith would reach that level.

Well I have to say that Smith won us a game tonight. I am astounded that he made the plays he made. It actually gives me hope that we might be able to exploit a weak GB defense.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 01-14-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #200
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Well I have to say that Smith won us a game tonight. I am astounded that he made the plays he made. It actually gives me hope that we might be able to exploit a weak GB defense.

Green Bay's defense isn't weak so much as overly aggressive sometimes. It's essentially the same personnel, with the primary exception of Nick Collins, that was so stalwart for them last year.

The thing this year is they've gotten aggressive about trying to force turnovers. When it works, Aaron Rodgers gives the opponents long faces to go with their long day.

When it doesn't...things get interesting.

That's the key, assuming Green Bay survives the rematch with the Giants (the first time around was plenty 'interesting' for me, thanks). If Smith and the 49ers have the turnover issues that plagued the Saints today, it'll be over by halftime. If they can protect the football, it takes a lot of pressure off the 49er defense, and becomes a much tighter game.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote