Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2005, 02:38 PM   #151
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Only if Manny wants to come here. He'd easily hit 45 HR in our park, and put up crazy offensive numbers.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #152
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I think it's a horrible deal for Boston.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #153
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I got sick when I read that, but Jayson Stark has reported that the Phillies will only move Abreu for a frontline starting pitcher. Manny Ramirez does not belong in the NL.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #154
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that's a really horribly shitty deal for boston. even if you toss in a couple other players. i hate ramirez for his hijinks, but i wouldn't even trade him for 2 guys who could combine to reproduce his #'s, cuz then you have to sit somebody else to fit the two of them in, and who are you going to sit right now hmmn?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:45 PM   #155
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Abreu isnt exactly chopped liver.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:46 PM   #156
Ksyrup

No shit. I love the guy. I know he's not exactly Manny Ramirez, but on the other hand...he's not exactly Manny Ramirez.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-01-2005, 02:46 PM   #157
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Abreu isnt exactly chopped liver.

who gives him that much money? and he'd be a terrible fit in boston. numbers would go down. he walks a lot though.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #158
Ksyrup

The Phillies and Giants haven't discussed the rumored swap of Bobby Abreu and Jason Schmidt, says both the Inquirer and the Daily News.
There doesn't appear to be any truth to the radio-inspired rumor. The deal would make a little sense if the Giants thought Moises Alou could play first base, but that's not something that has been brought up as a possibility. Dec. 1 - 4:07 am et
Old 12-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #159
Ksyrup

The Orioles have had almost daily talks with Nomar Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, though no deal appears imminent.
With Paul Konerko no longer a possibility, the O's are looking at Garciaparra, Jeff Conine, Kevin Millar and Scott Hatteberg as possibilities at first base. Dec. 1 - 3:44 am et
Old 12-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #160
Ksyrup

Talks regarding Manny Ramirez between the Angels and Red Sox "intensified" yesterday after Paul Konerko chose the White Sox, the Boston Herald reports.
The Red Sox would love to have both the Mets and the Angels involved in order to drive up the bidding, though they're probably disappointed that Brian Giles is no longer a possibility to replace Ramirez in left field. While the Angels probably won't make Ervin Santana, Scot Shields or Brandon Wood available in trade talks, they'd still have enough young talent to entice the Red Sox, starting with Casey Kotchman, Howie Kendrick and Nick Adenhart. Dec. 1 - 2:07 am et
Old 12-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #161
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This sounds like a good time for the Royals to get back into the fray with Mike Sweeney trade talks if the offers are there for a 1B. That said, if the Royals trade him, they have 0 good hitters in their lineup and only 1 or 2 above average ones.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #162
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dont get why anyone would trade a legit top flight starting pitcher, with the lone exception being that he would be hitting FA and leaving soon. The Phils would be dreaming if they could trade Abreu for a top flight starter.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:43 PM   #163
Ksyrup

Maybe they could do a deal for Barry Zito if they are dead set on trading Abreu? He's not a #1, but he'd be awfully solid on that team, and if they could sign him to an extension and get Randy Wolf back next year (2007)...

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-01-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #164
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
I dont get why anyone would trade a legit top flight starting pitcher, with the lone exception being that he would be hitting FA and leaving soon. The Phils would be dreaming if they could trade Abreu for a top flight starter.
just ask the marlins
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #165
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
just ask the marlins

I should add that Abreu makes 13 million, so trading him for a team looking to cut costs just isnt gonna happen.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:46 PM   #166
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Maybe they could do a deal for Barry Zito if they are dead set on trading Abreu? He's not a #1, but he'd be awfully solid on that team, and if they could sign him to an extension and get Randy Wolf back next year (2007)...

At least its not Wade trading with Beane.....we'd be screwed.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:46 PM   #167
Ksyrup

True. The A's aren't looking to add $13M. Although...didn't they pay Jermaine Dye $11M a year?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:00 PM   #168
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Talks regarding Manny Ramirez between the Angels and Red Sox "intensified" yesterday after Paul Konerko chose the White Sox, the Boston Herald reports.
The Red Sox would love to have both the Mets and the Angels involved in order to drive up the bidding, though they're probably disappointed that Brian Giles is no longer a possibility to replace Ramirez in left field. While the Angels probably won't make Ervin Santana, Scot Shields or Brandon Wood available in trade talks, they'd still have enough young talent to entice the Red Sox, starting with Casey Kotchman, Howie Kendrick and Nick Adenhart. Dec. 1 - 2:07 am et

maybe i just havn't been following baseball at all recently, but none of these "names" mean anything to me, with the exception of Kotchman, whose name I recognize...i don't want another "Thornton-style" trade to ship Manny out.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:59 PM   #169
Bad-example
College Starter

Tim Worrell returns to the Giants for 2 years/$4million.

They have plenty of needs besides bullpen depth, but he should help.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #170
Terps
College Prospect

Orioles traded relief pitcher Jorge Julio to the Mets for Kris Benson.

Not a bad deal for the O's. Maybe Mazzone can turn Benson around.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:26 PM   #171
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nice deal for the O's since they have money to piss away and didn't have to give up much.

SI

Old 12-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #172
Terps
College Prospect

Well, it looks like that may have been premature. Reports are all pulled now. Minaya wanted Loewen as the prospect to go along with Julio.

I think he's off getting his head examined somewhere now.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #173
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps
Orioles traded relief pitcher Jorge Julio to the Mets for Kris Benson.

Not a bad deal for the O's. Maybe Mazzone can turn Benson around.
Jeez... the Mets gave up on Benson after 1.5 seasons? They gave up too much for that (the 1.5 seasons of Benson)!

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-01-2005 at 08:39 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #174
Logan
Head Coach

So the Phillies gave a guaranteed 3 years to 38 year old Tom Gordon.

And what were the Philly fans saying about the Mets giving too many years to Wagner?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #175
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Jeez... the Mets gave up on Benson after 1.5 seasons? They gave up too much for that (the 1.5 seasons of Benson)!

Didnt really seem that any of the schlubs the Pirates got for Benson were worth a damn though.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #176
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Didnt really seem that any of the schlubs the Pirates got for Benson were worth a damn though.

Matt Peterson's potential was pumped up by the Mets, just like the Red Sox did with Hanley Ramirez.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:48 PM   #177
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pirates got dicked in the Benson trade, but the Mets were stupid. They could have just gotten him in free agency, which they essentially did, anyway. I bet Benson's loudmouth wife is not happy to leave New York, though. She'll probably cut his allowance.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:59 PM   #178
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
So the Phillies gave a guaranteed 3 years to 38 year old Tom Gordon.

And what were the Philly fans saying about the Mets giving too many years to Wagner?

Man. that deserves a super sized

WTF

Somewhere Ed Wade is laughing about how he had his job for 7 years, totally fucked over the team, and now they have to turn to 38 year old Gordon to save games cause there isnt anyone on the staff worth a shit that could do so.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:18 AM   #179
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Pirates got dicked in the Benson trade, but the Mets were stupid. They could have just gotten him in free agency, which they essentially did, anyway.

Well you can say that about all pending free agents. At the time of the trade, the Mets were still in the playoff hunt.

Of course, that doesn't excuse Kazmir for Zambrano.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:28 AM   #180
Ksyrup

Quote:
Man. that deserves a super sized

WTF

Somewhere Ed Wade is laughing about how he had his job for 7 years, totally fucked over the team, and now they have to turn to 38 year old Gordon to save games cause there isnt anyone on the staff worth a shit that could do so.

Who knows what really goes on behind the scenes. It may be that Wagner wasn't coming back to Philly unless they significantly beat the Mets offer. And after seeing what the Mets have done already this off-season, can you blame the guy for taking both a great contract and the offer fro mthe team that looks the best on paper in the divison?

With Gordon, he could have gone back and shared set-up roles with Farnsworth (not quite a done deal yet) for almost the same money (2 years instead of 3), so the Phillies had to beat that in order to et him. Who else should they look at? Hoffman - he'd want more than Gordon, and he's the same age and has injury issues. Bob Wickman? Sometimes you have to overpay to fill a need. And I'm not sure they were in as much control of the Wagner situation as we might like to think they were.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:06 PM   #181
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Twins get Castillo from the Marlins, wow, I'm surprised about this one.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2245065

Would have loved to see him in Cardinal Red.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:27 PM   #182
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And the fire sale continues... man, Florida is going to look baaaad when all is said and done. Poor Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera. They'll have a shell of a team around them.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:43 PM   #183
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Sometimes you have to overpay to fill a need.

And that's the same reasoning behind the contract the Mets gave Wagner that you were laughing at a couple days ago. It's the same thing they had to do with Pedro and Beltran. When you're the 2nd team in a city, and haven't had much success, you have to give up that extra year/couple million if necessary. Its a much better idea to do that, then stick to market years/value and find yourself coming up short everytime. Especially when you can afford to have that $12 million on your budget in the 4th year when the guy isn't producing because he's over the hill. That is a benefit that the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc have...the ability to swallow up those bad contracts and move on.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:11 AM   #184
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
And the fire sale continues... man, Florida is going to look baaaad when all is said and done. Poor Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera. They'll have a shell of a team around them.

I haven't looked all that closely at the prospects they've gotten back but the Fish have gotten quite a few in the past few days. Could this possibly be like the A's prior to last year where they kindof retooled on the fly and will be back to being good in fairly short order but kept a Zito and Chavez to build around?

SI

Old 12-03-2005, 10:11 AM   #185
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
And that's the same reasoning behind the contract the Mets gave Wagner that you were laughing at a couple days ago. It's the same thing they had to do with Pedro and Beltran. When you're the 2nd team in a city, and haven't had much success, you have to give up that extra year/couple million if necessary. Its a much better idea to do that, then stick to market years/value and find yourself coming up short everytime. Especially when you can afford to have that $12 million on your budget in the 4th year when the guy isn't producing because he's over the hill. That is a benefit that the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc have...the ability to swallow up those bad contracts and move on.

I wasn't laughing at it. I don't think either of them are worth what they got, but both teams probably had to give them that much to get them.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:24 AM   #186
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Twins get Castillo from the Marlins, wow, I'm surprised about this one.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2245065

Would have loved to see him in Cardinal Red.

Surprised? Really? They've been on Castillo's trail since the trading deadline in 2003.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:28 AM   #187
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Surprised? Really? They've been on Castillo's trail since the trading deadline in 2003.

The Twins always throw out those rumors, but really, how many times do they follow through? The pessimists are already worried about his legs and playing on the turf.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #188
Ksyrup

Wow!

Rafael Furcal has agreed in principle to a three-year, $40 million contract with the Dodgers, according to the Los Angeles Times.
He's expected to undergo a physical tomorrow and the deal could be announced on Monday. It's a great contract for Furcal, who will likely be able to land another big deal in three years at age 31. The Dodgers will put Furcal at shortstop and likely leave Jeff Kent at second to start the season. Kent could then move to first base when Cesar Izturis returns in July, although Izturis' lack of offense at second would be a real problem. Perhaps this increases the chances that the Dodgers will go into the season with Hee Seop Choi at first base. They're not going to spend much on a replacement if the plan is for Kent to slide over. Dec. 3 - 11:04 pm et
Old 12-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #189
Ksyrup

The Mets are involved in "very serious" discussions with the Marlins about acquiring Paul Lo Duca, a source told the New York Times.
This after the Diamondbacks and Marlins were said to be close to a deal yesterday. We're guessing the Marlins would want a pitcher from the group of Aaron Heilman, Jae Seo and Brian Bannister along with either Anderson Hernandez or Jeff Keppinger in exchange for Lo Duca. Heilman is probably unavailable, but Seo could be in play. Dec. 3 - 11:15 pm et
Old 12-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #190
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Wow!

Rafael Furcal has agreed in principle to a three-year, $40 million contract with the Dodgers, according to the Los Angeles Times.
He's expected to undergo a physical tomorrow and the deal could be announced on Monday. It's a great contract for Furcal, who will likely be able to land another big deal in three years at age 31. The Dodgers will put Furcal at shortstop and likely leave Jeff Kent at second to start the season. Kent could then move to first base when Cesar Izturis returns in July, although Izturis' lack of offense at second would be a real problem. Perhaps this increases the chances that the Dodgers will go into the season with Hee Seop Choi at first base. They're not going to spend much on a replacement if the plan is for Kent to slide over. Dec. 3 - 11:04 pm et

As a Giants fan, this makes me happy.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #191
Ksyrup

Why? If they have the money, the fact that they overspent is irrelevant.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:06 AM   #192
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

I just don't see how this move makes them substantially better. Furcal is a good player, don't get me wrong, but he's never hit above .300, never had an OPS above.800, and now he makes slightly less than the Albert Pujols's of the baseball world. He's not worth that much.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:10 AM   #193
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Mets are involved in "very serious" discussions with the Marlins about acquiring Paul Lo Duca, a source told the New York Times.
This after the Diamondbacks and Marlins were said to be close to a deal yesterday. We're guessing the Marlins would want a pitcher from the group of Aaron Heilman, Jae Seo and Brian Bannister along with either Anderson Hernandez or Jeff Keppinger in exchange for Lo Duca. Heilman is probably unavailable, but Seo could be in play. Dec. 3 - 11:15 pm et
Don't deal Seo. Don't deal Seo. Don't deal Seo!!
Old 12-04-2005, 12:10 AM   #194
Ksyrup

Again, whether they overpaid is irrelevant if they have the money to spend. And he's a dramatic improvement over no SS until July, and much better than Izturis in any event. And Kent's only around for one more year, too. I'm not saying he's worth anything close to $13M, but if they want to spend that money to cover their holes at SS/2B, he just made them better. Maybe not $13M a year better, but who cares?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-04-2005 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:10 AM   #195
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I haven't looked all that closely at the prospects they've gotten back but the Fish have gotten quite a few in the past few days. Could this possibly be like the A's prior to last year where they kindof retooled on the fly and will be back to being good in fairly short order but kept a Zito and Chavez to build around?

SI
Perhaps, but it looks like that it'll be at least a couple of years before the prospects make a difference. Until that time, it'll be brutal.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:13 AM   #196
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

3 yr/ 13.3 per is a LOT for Furcal though. Isn't that Tejada-style $$? And Furcal is no Tejada. That's a big bullet for the Dodgers to bite...
Old 12-04-2005, 12:15 AM   #197
Ksyrup

Yeah, he got the best of both worlds. More money than he would have gotten for one more year in Atlanta, and if he plays well, he'll get another 3-4 year, big money deal in 2009. He should be able to more than make up for the $10-11M over 2 years extra that he could have gotten from the Cubs.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-04-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:21 AM   #198
Cuckoo
College Starter

Yep, good deal for Furcal. It's too bad - I would've liked to see him as a Cubbie.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:50 AM   #199
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Yep, good deal for Furcal. It's too bad - I would've liked to see him as a Cubbie.
Yeah, no kidding.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 02:16 AM   #200
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Why? If they have the money, the fact that they overspent is irrelevant.

If they had zero other needs? Yes, then it would be irrelevant. If they had an unlimited budget? Yes, then it would be irrelevant. However, the Dodgers have a ton of holes, Furcal is not worth that contract, and the Dodgers, while able to field an expensive team, have a finite budget.

I'm not happy to see Furcal as a Dodger, but I love the contract.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote