Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2005, 04:05 AM   #151
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
How do you do that? I don't see instructions in the manual for leading off specifically.

Hit the button corresponding with the baserunner, unless you want them all to lead. If you want them all to lead, I believe you tap up on the right thumbstick on PS2 or Xbox. If you only one one specific guy to take a lead, you just tap the right thumbstick to the left one time for each additional step you want to take. To retreat a step, do the opposite in each case.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:18 AM   #152
Galaril
Pro Starter

Great I got the ganme yesterday ......only problem Amazon.com sent me the Playstation 2 version and I don't have a playstation only PC ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Oh well a few more days I guess to wait.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #153
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

EF, here is the set I'm using for my franchise. They are taken from the latest EA update, fake players renamed, and the top 100 prospects named. No attributes were changed, which is what I wanted.

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...achmentid=1059

Also, whenever I get a guy on base, I hit up twice on the R stick - which causes this to take a two step leadoff. Since I have auto return to base turned on (I can't concentrate on hitting and getting my man back to base on a pickoff), they get back on a pickoff attempt but note *you will see occasional pickoffs*, which is nice. Sometimes I only move the stick up once on a really slow player... but if you have a speedy guy on first, hit the stick up twice (you can only leadoff two pushes of the stick, so don't worry about leading off too far) the ratio to steals/thrown out seem spot on - especially if you take into account who's catching for the other team.

I dare the computer to steal on Molina.

I now have 3 homers in 6 games. I jumped on a high fastball last night with Pujols and absolutely crushed it. I've also hit one with my backup catcher buy just hitting the swing button... it's all about timing.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:09 PM   #154
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Hit the button corresponding with the baserunner, unless you want them all to lead. If you want them all to lead, I believe you tap up on the right thumbstick on PS2 or Xbox. If you only one one specific guy to take a lead, you just tap the right thumbstick to the left one time for each additional step you want to take. To retreat a step, do the opposite in each case.

Thanks! I couldn't figure out how to lead off. Amazing that I had one successful steal without it.

Todd, thanks for that link. That is exactly what I want too. I like how EA rated the players, I just want all players to have real names.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:11 PM   #155
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
EF, here is the set I'm using for my franchise. They are taken from the latest EA update, fake players renamed, and the top 100 prospects named. No attributes were changed, which is what I wanted.

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...achmentid=1059

Also, whenever I get a guy on base, I hit up twice on the R stick - which causes this to take a two step leadoff. Since I have auto return to base turned on (I can't concentrate on hitting and getting my man back to base on a pickoff), they get back on a pickoff attempt but note *you will see occasional pickoffs*, which is nice. Sometimes I only move the stick up once on a really slow player... but if you have a speedy guy on first, hit the stick up twice (you can only leadoff two pushes of the stick, so don't worry about leading off too far) the ratio to steals/thrown out seem spot on - especially if you take into account who's catching for the other team.

I dare the computer to steal on Molina.

I now have 3 homers in 6 games. I jumped on a high fastball last night with Pujols and absolutely crushed it. I've also hit one with my backup catcher buy just hitting the swing button... it's all about timing.

Todd
Just read your post again. So up or left on the R stick will make a guy lead off? Thanks for clarifying this

I have to go to work for a few hours this afternoon, but am looking forward to starting my career later today.

EDIT: Nevermind, just read Sackattack's post and it is clear that you are essentially saying the same thing.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-27-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:28 PM   #156
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yep, push up. You can only leadoff two steps, but you can "preload" a steal. Push up on the d-pad before the pitcher pitches and he'll steal on the next pitch. I will say the AI is tremendous in this game. Pitchouts, pickoffs, etc... you have to be on your toes. I love the hit and run as well.

Todd
Old 02-27-2005, 03:42 PM   #157
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just played two games against the Astros in owner mode (like MizzouRah, I'm playing as the Cardinals). In my first game, I lost 2-1. Clemens and Mulder both pitched very well, and I chased Clemens in the 9th with a solo homer by Larry Walker which tied the game. Unfortunately, the Astros won in either the 11th or 12th because I brought Julian Tavarez in. That'll show me.

In the second game, I lost 4-1. Oswalt had 7 strikeouts, and he was mixing up his pitches really well. I had Chris Carpenter on the mound, and he was decent, but he just couldn't get it done. Once Lidge came into the game to wrap it up, I knew it was over. I couldn't catch up to his fastballs.

Something funny happened in the second game. I had Jason Simontacchi on the mound in relief, and Adam Everett came up to bat. I intended to walk Everett to load the bases, but I must've hit the wrong button because I hit him with a pitch. Everett charged the mound and apparently kicked Carpenter's ass (!). Carpenter is now out for 9 games with an inflamed left shoulder. Carpenter, Everett, and Albert Pujols got ejected from the game because of the melee. Adam Everett is one of my wife's favorite players because he played for the local New Orleans Zephyrs for a couple of years before getting called up to Houston. She was mad that I hit Everett with a pitch. Our conversation went like this:

Me: "My pitcher accidentally hit Adam with a pitch."
Her: "YOU HIT ADAM???"
Me: "It was an accident! I think he kicked my pitcher's ass anyway."
Her: "Well, good for him!"

No booty for me tonight.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #158
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, I did that online last night. Meant to walk Bonds (er, Dowd), and clicked the wrong thumbstick, beaning Bonds. The other guy charged the mound and Dowd got ejected.

So that was worth it.

Of course, my opponent was the same guy who called me a 'fucking faggot' for daring to hit a two run triple off of Jason Schmidt. So, y'know, karma.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #159
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I just played two games against the Astros in owner mode (like MizzouRah, I'm playing as the Cardinals). In my first game, I lost 2-1. Clemens and Mulder both pitched very well, and I chased Clemens in the 9th with a solo homer by Larry Walker which tied the game. Unfortunately, the Astros won in either the 11th or 12th because I brought Julian Tavarez in. That'll show me.

In the second game, I lost 4-1. Oswalt had 7 strikeouts, and he was mixing up his pitches really well. I had Chris Carpenter on the mound, and he was decent, but he just couldn't get it done. Once Lidge came into the game to wrap it up, I knew it was over. I couldn't catch up to his fastballs.

Something funny happened in the second game. I had Jason Simontacchi on the mound in relief, and Adam Everett came up to bat. I intended to walk Everett to load the bases, but I must've hit the wrong button because I hit him with a pitch. Everett charged the mound and apparently kicked Carpenter's ass (!). Carpenter is now out for 9 games with an inflamed left shoulder. Carpenter, Everett, and Albert Pujols got ejected from the game because of the melee. Adam Everett is one of my wife's favorite players because he played for the local New Orleans Zephyrs for a couple of years before getting called up to Houston. She was mad that I hit Everett with a pitch. Our conversation went like this:

Me: "My pitcher accidentally hit Adam with a pitch."
Her: "YOU HIT ADAM???"
Me: "It was an accident! I think he kicked my pitcher's ass anyway."
Her: "Well, good for him!"

No booty for me tonight.

ROFL
Old 02-27-2005, 05:00 PM   #160
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ROFL

That pussy! LOL!!

I'm 2-6 with the Cardinals so far and my owner is a little ticked off at me.

Todd
Old 02-27-2005, 05:19 PM   #161
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I feel stupid even asking this question, but I can't seem to figure out how to use the roster that I downloaded onto a memory card using Action Replay. Winning Eleven 8 had an easy feature for saving the file from the memory card to the harddrive, but I don't see such an option in MVP. I go to load roster and it only gives me the choice of the roster I downloaded from Xbox Live and saved on my harddrive.

Can anyone help me with how to get the file from my memory card into the game?
Old 02-27-2005, 05:44 PM   #162
Balldog
Pro Rookie

You have to copy the file from the memory card to the harddrive in the XBOX Dashboard.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:48 PM   #163
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks. I just figured it out as I was coming back here.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:56 PM   #164
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just starting my owner mode, I'm disappointed with the relatively few options for a stadium. I understand that one of the purposes of this mode is to earn money to improve your stadium, but I thought I'd be able to pick the actual distances of the various dimensions. It's not as customizable as I thought it would be. Still looking forward to getting this career going.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:18 PM   #165
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Anyone else notice that the umpires are unusually ripped?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #166
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I won my first owner game 2-0. Wolf pitched a gem over 7 innings only allowing 3 hits. Worrell allowed a hit in the 8th, and Wagner allowed one in the 9th, but they combined for the shutout.

Owner mode has so many interesting decisions right away.. how much to charge for tickets, concessions, momentos, etc. It says the projected income for the season will fluctuate early in the season, but I better hope it goes up by a lot for me. Right now my projected income is 75 million dollars and my known expenses are 116 million for the year (darn the Phillies have an expensive payroll.) I think it is great how they have all of the staff salaries. Also, the various reports you can request such as player happiness reports, team strategies, organizational strategy, etc are very cool. So far, I'm enjoying owner mode, but wonder if I will either have to sell off guys towards the end of the season or risk losing the team because of debt after my 1st season.

Do you have to worry about income/expenses at all in Dynasty Mode?
Old 02-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #167
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just had an 18th inning game and WOW, I'm still psyched from this game. I was up 5-0 and the Brewers came back to take the lead 6-5 in the 8th. I score a run and we go on a 10 inning rampage of cat and mouse. It was a great pitching duel to say the least.

Todd
Old 02-27-2005, 09:44 PM   #168
RGunner
High School JV

If anyone wants a game i will be on about 15-20 minutes, gamertag is kevo0522 look for me or respond here and ill look for you
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:45 PM   #169
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just won a thrilling 3-2 game in which Thome hit a 3 run homer in the 8th inning to get us the win! Also, our projected income is going up nicely as we add concession stands and merchandise stores around the stadium.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:22 AM   #170
Celeval
Pro Starter

Won the first game I played - 6-5 Tribe over O's on Pro. Wasn't as close as it sounded, especially after a 3-run inside the parker by Hairston... "Oh, that's the dive button."
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:29 AM   #171
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, in-the-parkers are too frequent, I think. I had one hit against me earlier in a game where it didn't seem to matter what I threw, or where I threw it, the guy was hitting homers. He had four "regular" homers to go with the in-the-parker, and started taunting me near the end of the game. I hate that EA only put in options for screaming/cursing, stalking/harrassing, and bad name for bad feedback. I mean, he wasn't really doing any of the three in the sense that they listed them, but harrassment was the closest I could come to leaving bad feedback for him. Why not an option for just 'poor sportsmanship'?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:29 AM   #172
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

One cool little minor thing I've found playing against the computer is that sometimes the their batter will move within the box and create a better advantage for himself.
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:42 AM   #173
Galaril
Pro Starter

Are their rain outs or do some games get called because of rain?
How about doubleheaders?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:37 AM   #174
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Are their rain outs or do some games get called because of rain?
How about doubleheaders?

Yes to both.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:35 AM   #175
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I had been playing in Rookie level as the Rangers, played two series (Angels then Mariners) going 4-2. So I went up to Pro level which I know you all are already on (I suck). Anyways in my 1st game on pro, the Angels (2nd series already) were getting a few hits, I had almost nothing. Then in the 6th my team exploded for 5 runs and we won 5-0.

Then in my second game of the series against the Angels, it was close again. It was 0-0 until the bottom of the 8th, when Soriano hit a 2 run blast to put us up 2-0.

Going into the top of the 9th, Kenny Rogers had a no-hitter working for him. 1st batter....strikeout, 2nd batter....popup(out), 3rd batter, Chone Figgins (leadoff), he goes yard on what would have been a no-no Next guy popped out and we won 2-1.

I love this game.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #176
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Pro level? Move up to All Star level.

I have fielding on "assissted" which keeps inside the park homers to the "rare" extent.

Here's what I am using:
Difficulty: All-Star
Fielding: Assissted
Batting View: 6/1 (pitching from behind the pitcher is harder, imo)
Fielding View: Aerial
Strike Zone: Off
Hot/Cold Zones: Off
Pitch Cursor: Fade
Hitter's Eye: On
Catch Circle Assist: Off
Variable Strike Zone: On
Fielding Aid: Off
Vector Line: Off
Throw Meter: On
Old 02-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #177
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I almost got a no-no with Rogers as well on pro level. Last at bat, 2-1 count, inside bottom corner curve to a cold zone, and he goes yard on me. DOH!

I find I can read the pitches better with the hot/cold zone set to fade. Especially balls that drop out of the zone. The colors were hiding the break.

Has anyone had a trade rejected in Owners mode? I traded Chan Ho Park for a pretty decent reliever that was making 300k vs Parks 13 mil. Really helped my income. But since then I've made 3 more trades that I wouldn't see as quite fair and all were accepted.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:10 AM   #178
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie
I almost got a no-no with Rogers as well on pro level. Last at bat, 2-1 count, inside bottom corner curve to a cold zone, and he goes yard on me. DOH!

I find I can read the pitches better with the hot/cold zone set to fade. Especially balls that drop out of the zone. The colors were hiding the break.

Has anyone had a trade rejected in Owners mode? I traded Chan Ho Park for a pretty decent reliever that was making 300k vs Parks 13 mil. Really helped my income. But since then I've made 3 more trades that I wouldn't see as quite fair and all were accepted.

Do you have "fair" trades turned on?

Todd
Old 02-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #179
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I'm pretty sure it's turned on, I used the default Owners mode settings. I'll check when I get home.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:59 AM   #180
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie

Mine was low, inside as well. It was a fastball though. Kind of strange.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #181
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
Yes to both.

There are doubleheaders in the game?
Old 02-28-2005, 11:29 AM   #182
jbmagic
Pro Starter

is there a comeback code in the game?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:48 AM   #183
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There are doubleheaders in the game?

I didn't realize there were doubleheaders either.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:50 AM   #184
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
is there a comeback code in the game?

Yeah, it's called "The Cooperstown Effect."

You can supposedly turn it off in the options, although I don't know how cosmetic that is/isn't.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:51 AM   #185
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
I didn't realize there were doubleheaders either.

That's fairly impressive if true. I knew about the rainouts, but I just figured that:

a) they were fairly rare, and
b) they got rescheduled for off days (so as not to totally bork the computer, you see)

Of course, it would be even more impressive if they properly coded the doubleheaders to occur as day/night doubleheaders.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:54 AM   #186
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, it's called "The Cooperstown Effect."

You can supposedly turn it off in the options, although I don't know how cosmetic that is/isn't.

Apparently I need to do some more reading instead of playing Yeah, it's in the options, I just didn't know what it did.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #187
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's fairly impressive if true. I knew about the rainouts, but I just figured that:

b) they got rescheduled for off days (so as not to totally bork the computer, you see)

Of course, it would be even more impressive if they properly coded the doubleheaders to occur as day/night doubleheaders.

They do have doubleheaders, and sometimes it will occur as a day/night doubleheader while other times it won't.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:14 PM   #188
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have Coopertown effect on and haven't noticed any significant unrealistic comebacks.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:49 PM   #189
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have Coopertown effect on and haven't noticed any significant unrealistic comebacks.

The "cooperstown effect" is not some evil comeback code. It's for when you play in a classic stadium - it makes it look like you're watching an old time movie.

Todd
Old 02-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #190
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
The "cooperstown effect" is not some evil comeback code. It's for when you play in a classic stadium - it makes it look like you're watching an old time movie.

Todd

so you guys are not seeing computer teams coming back or your team coming back when there a big lead in the game?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:55 PM   #191
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
so you guys are not seeing computer teams coming back or your team coming back when there a big lead in the game?

Nope, not at all.

Todd
Old 02-28-2005, 03:39 PM   #192
bbo
n00b

I for one am loving this game. I am playing dynasty mode with the Red Sox on All Star level and got beat in 2 of the first 3 games against the Yankees in extra innings.
Normally when I buy a ps2 game I play it for a few days and lose interest but not the case with this one. Anyone "addicted" to this game yet?

Brian
Old 02-28-2005, 04:43 PM   #193
Calis
College Starter

Just picked this up this morning due to the talk here, and due to getting my tax return back.

I'm not a very big baseball fan, but I'll play about any sports video game, haven't got a baseball one in a few years though.

Very impressed so far, I did a fantasy draft dynasty with the Royals and am 4-2 so far. I'm HORRIBLE at batting, but getting better.

Neat thing in my last game, first inning there's a real bad call against me, they call Crisp out at first when he'd made it. So I send the manager out to argue it, and I rile him up real good. He winds up getting tossed, and hurting the team's morale as well. I was then thrown off when the announcers said in the 6th inning that the Royals have some action in the bullpen. Sure enough there's two guys warming up, then I realize I can't do ANYTHING with the roster. Pretty neat! I was getting annoyed, the computer replacement manager kept my starter in way too long. We're down 0-3 the whole game, from the 1st inning. Just can't get anything. Finally in the 9th inning I get a couple guys on base and then Vlad wallops one for the 3 run homer and the tie. Then in the bottom of the 9th someone from the Angels, can't remember who cranks one and I'm sure it's a homer, but frigging Vlad nabs it from over the wall! I love that guy!

In the 11th we're still fighting back to back, and then the Angels manager gets tossed! Next inning Vlad hits a nice one to nab a double, and A-Rod knocks him home on the next at bat. Great game.

Very impressed so far. I especially love playing a sport game that I don't follow closely, because I can do the fantasy rosters and not be too annoyed if the stats are out of whack.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:06 PM   #194
RainRaven
High School JV

If anyone is up for a game let me know, I bought it due to the good reviews and one of you should be able to no-hit me... I am horrible at batting....
Old 02-28-2005, 05:09 PM   #195
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I like doing a fantasy draft, but I wish they had the "snake" option to make the teams more even.

This time around, I'm using a roster update and playing with the Cardinals. You can really tell the difference against say, pitching to Houston's lineup and the Brewer's lineup. I'm addicted to this game as well. I don't think any game has been this good on defaults as MVP has been for me.

I see a new hit/out/play almost every game I play.

Todd
Old 02-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #196
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I've gotten a couple rainouts and it always has said the xxx/xxx game was rescheduled as part of a doubleheader on xxx. Then you have the day game, and the night game. They had this in last year's game too.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:53 PM   #197
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Todd

Cool! I had no idea what it was, but it defaulted to on so I left it on.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #198
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo
I for one am loving this game. I am playing dynasty mode with the Red Sox on All Star level and got beat in 2 of the first 3 games against the Yankees in extra innings.
Normally when I buy a ps2 game I play it for a few days and lose interest but not the case with this one. Anyone "addicted" to this game yet?

Brian

I've historically bought console baseball games and become quite bored with them quite quickly. As a result, I didn't buy any for a few years until I bought MVP 2004 last year.

With this game, I was sitting at work today trying to decide what I will buy next for my ballpark. I was also thinking how I was going to use Vincent Padilla in tonight's game. This game has the most addictive quality of any console baseball game I've ever played. I'm looking forward to playing a few games tonight.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:59 PM   #199
Logan
Head Coach

4 midterms, a group presentation, 2 interviews, and countless group meetings in the next week and a half before spring break.

Must continue to resist temptation...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:43 PM   #200
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I HATE sliders. Always have, always will. I would like all games to use difficulty settings, but that' s it. I know I'm in the minorty, but games back when sliders weren't a thought, have been more fun than today's console sports games that have tons of them to set. I'll take Sega Genesis Madden, NHL, or High Heat 2000-02 anyday over most of the games today - again console speaking.

I completed my 10th game yesterday night on All Star defaults, and here are my scores:

W 3-0
L 3-2
L 11-3
W 2-0
L 10-5
L 5-3
L 5-2
L 2-1
W 7-6
W 2-1

I can NOT be more happy with a game then this. The variety is unreal, especially for a default difficulty level. I've been tempted to say, lower the fielder's speed, but I'm not touching these things.. and may never have to. This game plays so well "out of the box" for me.

If you have a console, at least rent the game.

Todd