Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2004, 04:56 AM   #151
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
From what I have heard, he is now way beyond all of this. I really wouldn't expect any detailed catch-ups but a summary would be nice.

Bucc, you must have missed my last posts in that thread. As I said there, the game I was speaking about was another game altogether, involving the Scipii, another Roman faction largely to the south of Rome.

I put the Julii dynasty (this one here) on hold while I waited for FOFC to get back up.

Now that it's back up, I can begin again.

I won't ask for a "roll call", as the waiting list dwarfs the "active" list. I will probably begin where I left off, and hope that people who abandoned FOFC (understandably) discover that we are back up and going again.

Sometime after work Wednesday night, I hope to post an actual active and waiting list (a la Godzilla Blitz), as well as the first few posts of the resumption fo the dynasty.

For Rome and for the Julii!

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:59 AM   #152
Ragone
Pro Rookie

welp i'm still around.. awaiting my involvement
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:09 AM   #153
gi
College Prospect

T'would be nice to have this back in the routine again...looking forward to this starting back up again.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:25 AM   #154
daedalus
Pro Rookie

CR's dynasties (I'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming FM'05 'Boro dynasty) are one of the things I missed most during the board's absence.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:13 PM   #155
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Put me on the list - but Senator Senator might sound redundant.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:55 PM   #156
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

damn straight- I was waiting for this.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:50 AM   #157
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for your patience, all. It's been a tough stretch for me since FOFC came back up.

I have been working a lot, and quite frankly, what free tiem I have had has been dedicated to some other games (just bought the new TPB, and am still running a long CM03/04 game; also, got sidetracked by my other Rome game, the one for myself).

I will post a list of everyone who wants to be in, a la Godzilla Blitz's X-Com dynasty so that we can finally have something to reference. Let me know if I get anything wrong about where any of you want to be placed.

CR

P.S. FM2005 could be at my door by late afternoon Tuesday, but don't be concerned--I'll be waiting for at least the first patch before I get into that. Great time for new games.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:51 AM   #158
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Code:
The Romans FOFC Name Name In Dynasty Role Chief Rum Chiefius Rumnii Julii Faction Leader sachmo71 Sachmius Julii Faction Heir kingfc22 Kingfcius Julii General Blade6119 Bladeii Julii General Fonzie Fonzius Julii Son Calis Calisius Julii Son Izulde Izuldius Julii General Icy Icius Julii Spy Jeffnights Jeffnitius S.Q.P.R. Senator, Censor The Hall of Heroes FOFC Name Name In Dynasty What Happened daedalus Daedalus (YOR 470-488) Killed at Chiarii Enemies of the Julii and of Rome FOFC Name Name In Dynasty Role Radii Radiix Gallic General Departed In Heathen Shame FOFC Name Name In Dynasty Who Was He & What Happened Jesse_Ewiak Jessewiak (YOR 446-489) Role: Gallic Faction Heir Killed at Mediolanium hoopsguy Hoopsguyix (YOR 451-488) Role: Gallic General Prob. Killed at Chiarii Waiting List FOFC Name Desired Role DeToxRoxDVHStyle Julii Assassin Katon Julii General Coffee Warlord Julii General Travis Julii Assassin Wolfpack Julii General mrkilla22 Julii General illinifan999 Julii General Roberto Any (prefers Julii General) Neuqua Any SirFozzie Any ntndeacon Any (prefers Julii General) Swaggs Julii Assassin General Mike Julii General tucker342 Julii General RealDeal Any Peregrine Julii Spy GoldenEagle Faction Leader (prefers Julii) Aadik Any Buccaneer Any Breeze Any Ragone Julii Diplomat or Assassin ur_land Any gi Any Chas in Cinti Any Qwikshot Any moriarty Any BigDPW Any Senator Any daedalusII Unspecified

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-09-2004 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:34 AM   #159
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Summer, Year of Rome 489

Army Movements

Having encountered the roving Gallic warband on the road from Medioanium to the Julii capital of Arretium, our small war-worn unit of wardogs and equites have returned to the walls of the recently captured regional capital of Cisalpine Gaul. After the unit's commander warned Kingfcius of the possibility of attack (remote nonetheless), the new governor of Mediolanium ordered the unit to inste4ad go to Arretium by way of the western end of the Ligurian mountains and the sea coast city of Segesta (where Chiefius Rumnii is currently holding court).

To the east, Icius has arrived at the walls of Patavium and infilitrated his way into the Gallic city. Both Kingfcius and Chiefius Rumnii soon receive word that there is a strong garrison entrenched in ancient Venice, with six 121-man Warband units and two 81-man Swordsman units. The city is of good size (just over 3,000 population), and has some of the basic amenities, including a Port, Market, Stables and Meeting Hall. The best news, though, is its wall--it is encircled by merely a Wooden Palisade, which is a much flimsier defense than could be erected at this point (and is much more susceptible to the seige equipment we can make).

The Julii Navy Blockades The Port of Patavium

As per the request of the Senate, Chiefius Rumnii ordered Admiral Oppius to move his three briremes up the Adriatic coast from Ariminum to blockade the port of Patavium. As the lone Julii fleet was so close to the Gallic city, this was easily done in less than a season.

The Gauls have little to no naval presence in the Adriatic Sea, so there is very little downside at the moment to this action.

The Umbrian Brigands On Closer Inspection

Chiefius Rumnii has yet to decide whether to make any aggressive maneuvers toward the brigands whom have ensconced themselves along the northern coast of Umbria, some days ride north of Ariminum.

All we can tell is that it is a two-unit army, likely of Warbanders, and that the leader appears to be a Captain Cnaeus.

I still think this might be a good easy first battle for young Izuldius, son of Bladeii. Toward that possible end, I have sent the 16-year-old grandson of Chiefius from the tutoring of his uncle Sachmius in Arretium to the hall of his father Bladeii in Ariminum.

Chiefius Adept Behind The Scenes

It appears that our faction leader is growing quite skillful in his use of the more nefarious agents of the family. The usefulness of Icius and Chiefius's well-placed directions to the spy has given Chiefius the reputation of a Spymaster, which gives him a better ability to collect information and to persuade others to spy for the Julii. He has earned a +1 COM for this, and a 20% discount in the cost of agent recuitment.

The Battle Conquests of the Julii Improve Our Lot with the People

It seems we have gained a shield of popularity with the People, no doubt for our brilliant victory at Chiarii and the subsequent capture of Mediolanium and conquest of Cisalpine Gaul. I am certain those soft Roman citizens sleep more soundly at night knowing the mighty Julii stand between them and the brutal and wild Gauls of the frigid north.

This, however, will not likely endear us to the Senate, which is notoriously jealous for such attention, nor to the other Roman factions.

Mediolanium Settling Down

Just months after the assault on Mediolanium and Kingfcius's grief-induced sacking of the city that followed, the city appears to be settling in a little. Under the watchful of eye of our largest standing army, the city has risen high enough in lawful order to allow us to move it up to a High tax rate.

Having completed Roads in and out of the city and in the region in the spring, the tradespeople have been contracted to build a Market for the improved trade of goods.

CR

Old 11-09-2004, 08:47 AM   #160
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
I still think this might be a good easy first battle for young Izuldius, son of Bladeii. Toward that possible end, I have sent the 16-year-old grandson of Chiefius from the tutoring of his uncle Sachmius in Arretium to the hall of his father Bladeii in Ariminum.

Let's hope the little bastard learned something. If he loses this battle, I want him turned into a woman...slowly.
If he brings shame to our house, he will regret it.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 11-09-2004 at 08:48 AM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:58 PM   #161
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Let's hope the little bastard learned something. If he loses this battle, I want him turned into a woman...slowly.
If he brings shame to our house, he will regret it.

Well, you may want to give him a punishment that doesn't reduce his virility, Sachmius. After all, he apparently has "happy sperm" and can be quite productive in the bedroom. We can use all the Julii generals we can get.

CR

Old 11-09-2004, 04:18 PM   #162
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Autumn, Year of Rome 489

Senate To Chiefius: Take Patavium

I can't hardly say I didn't see this coming.

Just months after blockading the port of Patavium, we received word by emmissary from the Senate. The emmissary imparted the political body's happiness with our completion of their mission and a gift of 1,000 dinarii for said accomplishment. And then there were the new instructions.

We are to capture the city of Patavium, and take the region of Venetia from the Gauls, completing the conquest of northern Italy for Rome.

We have been given five years to do so. Chiefius sets about work on this immediately (since it meets well with our own desires).

The Senate has offered stronger consideration for Senatorial office as a reward for completion of this request, and that can only help us as well.

News From The North

Near about the same time, we received word from the Senate, Chiefius also got a message from our diplomat Sextus Antio, currently overstaying his welcome in the lands about Alesia, the capital of Gaul, to the distant northwest.

He has seen a great army depart the Gallic capital, led by a son of Gaul. It was close to 1000 men. That's the bad news.

The good news is they seem to be headed west and south, toward south and west Gaul and Iberia, rather than toward the mountains and Italy. Of course, this could just be their roundabout way of getting to the western pass through Transalpine Gaul, but the northern pass to Mediolanium is much closer, so this wouldn't make much sense.

Sextus Antio himself has recruited an eager young local lad with a gift for tongues and a desire to be hopeful to the great glory of Rome. This Linguist has improved the diplomat's ability to communicate himself greatly, increasing his INF +2.

Scipii, Senate Go To War With Carthage

We are not the only factions troubled by war at our borders. It appears that our brothers, the Scipii, have run into trouble with the expansionistic Carthaginians.

They have declared war on them, and the S.P.Q.R. has followed suit. I have no doubt the Brutii will also declare war shortly. I would do so myself, but I have not yet figured out how to declare war on a faction we have never contacted. Plus, we are furthest away from them. It is unlikely we will encounter Carthaginians any time soon (or ever, as they will likely perish at the end of a Scipii pike).

Gallic Threat Perhaps Much Closer

Perhaps it is too reaching to be looking at armies from distant Alesia. Icius reports that an army of some 800--most of the garrison of Patavium, in fact--have departed the coastal city and appear to be on the road to Mediolanium. Are we abouyt to come under attack from the Gauls?

If they do, we will crush them at the walls, chase down their cowardly hides across northern Italy and then proceed to sweep into Patavium with ease.

Construction & Recruitment

Ariminum completed a Trader, increasing trade in the Umbrian city, but that was the only significant construction completed this season.

Ariminum also recrutied a unit of Equites, which could likely be used either on those brigands to the north, or even perhaps on an assault on Patavium.

Arretium and Mediolanium both recruited new Hastati units.

CR

Old 11-09-2004, 04:44 PM   #163
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Winter, Year of Rome 490

Army Movements

In preparation for a potential Gallic assault on medilanium, we have picked off some of the units from Ariminum and Arretium and sent them up to the Erutrian border under the command of young Izuldius.

A Wardog unit and Hastati unit from Arretium is meeting Izuldius and two accompanying Equites units from Ariminum a few days south of the ford of the Po. They should reach Mediolanium by the solstice (assumign they are not waylaid by the Gauls).

The Wardog and Equite army that discovered the smaller Gallic Warband army in western Venetia has completed its journey to Arretium via Segesta and the coast of Liguria. They will now be retrained in the capital for deployment in the oncoming conflict with the Gauls.

Icius Checks Out Gallic Army

Our spy followed in the path of the army that left Patavium to check troop strength on our enemies. He reports they have five 121-man Warband units and one 81-men Swordsman unit, under the command of a common captain by the name of Drustan. No cavalry or dedicated missile troops? An assault on Mediolanium now seems even more ridiculous.

Icius returns to patavium to keep watchj over our soon to be assaulted future target.

Brigands In South Umbria

It appears that the countryside of Umbria is roaming free with brigands now, as there appears to be a single unit of them running the south end of Umbria now.

Understandably, the Gauls are more of a conern, but it is disconcerting that the citizens of Julii Rome continue to be harassed by these unsavory criminals.

Ariminum governor Bladeii will need to take care of both brigand armies at some point, although the focus now remains Patavium.

Ariminum has begun work on a Market to take advantage of its new Trader.

Arretium will retrain the recently arrived Wardog and Equite units. Mediolanioum has begun work on another Hastati unit.

CR

Old 11-09-2004, 05:17 PM   #164
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Spring, Year of Rome 490

Gaul Retreats

Perhaps realizing themselves the foolhardiness of going up against the walls of Mediolanium, the Gallic army in western Venetia has fallen abck again to the walls of Patavium.

They may be more ably supported on the high seas, though, as Admiral Oppius's lookouts have caught sight of the glint of Gallic steel on the Adriatic Sea. The Gallic navy has made its appearance.

It appears to be 2-3 ships at most, each roughly able to carry some 30 fighting men in a naval battle. They are a sort of boat we haven't had much experience with, a smaller boat that is likely the Gauls main mode of travel by sea.

I doubt greatly that they would stand upt oa fully-staffed fleet of Roman briremes and, indeed, they do not move to test our blockade of Patavium just yet.

News From Abroad

It has reached Chiefius that a fellow colleague has departed this Earth for the gods.

Cornelius Scipio, the mighty leader of the Scipii faction and the Qaestor of Rome, has fallen to natural illness. It is not yet known who will take over as the head of the Scipii family, although doubtless it will be one of his sons. The office of Qaestor shall remain open until the next elections.

The Scipii have lost their leader at a poor time, considering they are currently at war with the Carthagainians. As expected, the Brutii have declared war on the minons of that Arican port city, meaning all of Rome but for us are now in conflict with Carthage.

Family and Agents Maturing

With the passing of years and experience, some of our family members adn agents have made themselves more useful by learning new skills and developing helpful traits.

Sachmius appears to no longer be showing his loyalty, but is truly loyal, it appears. He is now Publically Loyal, a loyalty largely admired by others. It will make him much more difficult to bribe, along with the fact that he is still considered to be the Julii faction heir. The capital of Arretium would seem to be in secure hands under his rule.

Izuldius is already showing some of his personality in his sojourn norht to the Mediolanium. Some would regared his slow progres toward the Cisalpine Gaul capital as caution, but those closer to him note that the procession draws slow more for Izuldius' desire to scout out the surrounding areas well, in part to a curiosity of his own as to the nature of these lands near the border of Erturia and Venetia. He is now an Intrepid Explorer, which will, in the future, increase his ability to move an army by as much as 15% of their normal spped, and gives him a +1 advantage to his line of sight as well. With advanced notice and spped, Izuldius is now set to be able to outrun most mighty armies, although hopefully this will not be an oft-used skill.

Far to the north, Sextus Antio has been forced to be very careful in enemy lands, so as not to blow his own cover in Gaul. He is now a Polished Diplomat, with an associated +4 in diplomatic skills (all told).

Arretium has completed a Blacksmith, which will make the armor and weaponry of units trained here hardier and of better quality. This can only serve us well in battle.

Arretium also trained a new unit of Hastati, and completed the retraining of the Wardogs and Equites that came to the city from the assault on Mediolanium last year.

Ariminum has completed a unit of Velites, and Mediolanium a unit of Hastati.

CR

Old 11-09-2004, 11:19 PM   #165
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Summer, Year of Rome 490

The Army Musters...An Attack On Patavium Nears

The orders have gone out, and the Julii banners have been unfurled. A great army--the greatest army ever assembled under the Julii banner--is currently being put together alogn the River Po in western Venetia.

Using units from Mediolanium and Ariminum for the most part, the following sizable force is collecting near the ford of the great northern Italian river; six 80-man Hastati units, three 80-man Velite units, two 54-man Equite units, one War Dogs unit (96 all told), one 80-man Roman archers, and one 45-man triarii unit. Many of these units were battle-tested at Chiarii and at Mediolanium. And they would be under the command of, surprisingly, Izuldius and his 20-man spear-cavalry bodyguard.

Currently, this army, standing at over 1000 men, is encamped in western venetia and awaiting the arrival of even more units from Arretium. A 72-man War Dogs unit, 54-man Equite unit and 80-man Hastati unit, all from Arretium, are on the road to join up with Izuldius, and are currently just south of the Po.

Icius Confirms Enemy Numbers

With Captain Drustan and his briefly forayed army back behind the walls of Patavium, it is clear what forces will stand against Izuldius's assault.

Icius reports that seven 121-man Warband units and two 81-man Swordsman units will defend the city.

Although I expect a fierce ground fight, the fact the walls are merely a Wooden Palisade, and there are no committed missile troops in defense, I view the odds on this assault as very likely in our favor.

Construction & Recruiting

With an operational Blacksmith now going in Arretium, we have begun to retrain and re-equip the units gathered in the capital (although we were unable to do so to those units heading off to Patavium, at least not without seriously delaying the assault).

Arretium has also begun work on creating a Market to promote trade.

the other cities worked on continuing projects.

CR

Old 11-10-2004, 12:25 AM   #166
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Autumn, Year of Rome 490

Sachmius Rises In Stature

It was a big season of developments for the faction heir.

Sachmius improved his loyalty to his family another step by jumping up to Proven Loyalty. This increases his imperviousness to bribe by 200%. He also gained a reputation as a True Roman, giving him +1 INF, a 5% popularity boost in the Senate and improved election chances). And, finally, he has somehow managed to convince those around him that he is Trusty, which improves Lawfulness in the province he rules (Erutria and Arretium, of course), and increases his defense to bribing a further 100%.

Sachmius was once considered a conniving, even mean individual, even as well as he was noted for a gift for administration. Now, it appears he is gaining some more noble characterisitcs. Only time will tell what true personality surfaces, though.

Construction & Recuitment

Mediolanium completed a Market this season, but that was the only construction completed late in the year. Ariminum and Arretium, their garrisons depleted by the anticipated assault on Patavium, made themselves stronger by recruiting a new unit of Velites and retraining all of their units via the Blacksmith in those respective cities.

News Abroad

The Scipii have increased in popularity with the Senate. Perhaps this is because of successes in North Africa, or maybe the new faction leader is simply more acceptable to the senators than Cornelius Scipio was.

Far to the east, the Ptolemaic dynasty of Egypt has come into conflict with another of Alexander's former kingdoms, that of Parthia. Neither nation is of concern at the moment.

CR

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-10-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:47 AM   #167
kingfc22
Head Coach

I should be leading the takeover of Patavium, not some punk kid.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:57 AM   #168
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Winter, Year of Rome 491

Izuldius Marches On Patavium

The last additions from Arretium have arrived and the full complement of almost 1300 men under the banner of the Julii are now gathered north of the Po.

Izuldius immediately marches on Patavium, through cold and wintry conditions in Venetia, and by the time the weather begins to warm, the Julii army is within sight of the walls of Patavium.

The city will be under seige shortly.

Mediolanium

Three years after its conquest, the city of Mediolanium has settled enough now that the memories of its former Gallic rumors are fading in memory. We are able to increase the tax rate to the highest it can go, at Very High.

Mediolanium has begun work on Land Clearance, to give the region more fertile farmland.

Kinfcius has also begun to work on recruiting a new spy and a new diplomat. The spy will allow us to keep Icius near the forward progress of our armies while allowing the other spy to explore westward and see what surprises the Gauls might have in wait for us that way. The diplomat, who won't be recruited until after the spy, will be someone we can use for diplomatic purposes in and around our lands, considering our original diplomat, Sextus Antio, is currently some distance away around Alesia in Gaul.

CR

Old 11-10-2004, 01:03 AM   #169
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
I should be leading the takeover of Patavium, not some punk kid.

I need your skills in governing Mediolanium at the moment. Rest assured, I doubt greatly that Kingfcius's lot is to remain trapped behind walls.

You're also an important safeguard from attack by the Gauls. Let's face it, the more serious threats will come not from the east, but from the west and the north. And Mediolanium stands at the foot of the northern pass, and well within range of the western pass.

CR

Old 11-10-2004, 01:14 AM   #170
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Surely assassination must be on the horizon!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:36 AM   #171
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Surely assassination must be on the horizon!

I would like to have assassins going. Unfortunately, we haven't quite developed that far yet. It will be soon, though.

CR

Old 11-10-2004, 03:34 AM   #172
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Spring, Year of Rome 491

Battle On The High Seas

Admiral Oppius had had enough. One Gallic boat was constantly skirting the edges of the port, and he heard by messenger from the Umbrian coast that another laid in wait halfway up from Ariminum.

Trade out of the port was at a standstill and Admiral Oppius knew an assault was soon to begin on the city. So he decided to be aggressive and attack our enemies.

He first took his three Briremes and 107 men and attacked the boat just outside of the port, going up against a 31-man Gallic crew. Not surprisingly, he won a crushing victory, killing half of the boat's crew and driving it far down the Adriatic Sea.

He then went down along the coast and found the other boat. Once again, he engaged the enemy and won a strong victory, once again killing 16 Gauls and sending the ship far away from both Patavium and Ariminum.

Admiral Oppius had just enough left to get back to the port of Patavium to resume the blockade. He lost just 15 men in the fighting, and re-established Julii control of the north end of the Adriatic.

Chiefius's Patience Is Rewarded

Five years ago, we turned down a potential marriage proposal for Sachmius's oldest child, Fadia, becuase the suitor was unworthy of her and of the Julii.

As the weather turned warm once again without a betrothed Fadia, now 20, concern was heavy for the young woman. Fortunately, the weather wasn't all that heated up.

Fadia attracted the interest of a much older man, but an accomplished soldier nonetheless. Titus Katonius is a 46-year-old respected warrior whom has fought for all three Roman factions in one war or another. The 46-year-old captain has been sought after for his tactical expertise and is a welcome addition for his battlefield talents alone.

He brings little else to the table and, indeed, is a rather coarse and brunt man, but he is liked by those close to him. He is a Superior Commander, which gives him +3 COM to begin with.

Sachmius approached Chiefius Rumnii with the proposal and the faction leader agreed. For the moment, Titus Katonius will stay in Arretium with his new bride and, if the gods are willing, provide us with numerous Julii sons.

Chiefius Awarded Senatorial Office

Tremendous news has arrived from Rome!

The leader of the Julii, long disregarded for public office, has been awarded the vacant Qaestor position, last held by the departed Cornelius Scipio.

The Qaestor is the lowest rung in the council, but it's better to be on the council than looking in. The Qaestor is the Senatorial treasurer and record keeper.

The position carries with it a +1 MAN bonus as well, which should help the growing town of Segesta, currently the smallest Julii city.

Jeffnitius Elected Consul

In a move that came four years too late, Jeffnitius has been elected the Consul of Rome, the most powerful position in the Republic. Congratulations to Jeffnitius, who also, at some point in the past four years, has been elevated to faction leader for the S.P.Q.R.

Jeffnitius moves to the Consul from the Censor position, which he held for eight years. He replaces a fool of a man named Kaeso Pullus, whose bumbling led to him being removed from office altogether.

Unfortunately, Kaeso Pullus's fool-in-arms Julianus Murena has returned to senatorial office after four years out of it. The former Praetor was appointed the Pontifex Maximus, the head of state religion.

Young Publius Maxentius, former Pontifex Maximus, was moved to Censor, where he is in charge of taxes and spending decisions. At just 21, he is ont he fast track to big things in Rome.

Tiberius Brutus, the faction leader of the Brutii, remains in office for the third straight term, ascending to the law and order position of Praetor. He has gone from Qaestor to Aedile to Praetor in three straight elections.

The new Aedile is at least of Maxentius blood, although neither Gaius's uncle, Jeffnitius, nor older brother Publius, is likely to want to admit it. The 19-year-old Gaius is barely of better quality than Julianus Murena or Kaeso Pullus.

The Scipii did not receive a spot on the council.

Kingfcius Recruits New Spy

With advice from his father the Spymaster, Kingfcius has recruited a new spy to watch over the western passes into Gaul.

Neuqua has spent many a year already working in the corners of rooms and from dark places. He is already 40-years-old. A lifelong criminal, he is nonetheless a Julii loyalist through-and-through, and he jumped at the opportunity given him--after Kingfcius assured him he would be well paid.

Neuqua is not as skilled as Icius, but he has good potential. He is +1 in his spying skills right now.

Neuqua will depart Medilanium right away to begin checking out the lands of southern Gaul.

Construction

Ariminum has completed a Market, improving income from the city and provinve of Umbria.

News From Abroad

Another year, another war in the decent east between former lands of the great Alexander.

The Seleucid Empire has fallen into war with Pontus.

As with Egypt agaionst Parthia, it is hard to tell at the moment just what longterm effect, if any, this will have on Roman politics.

CR

Old 11-10-2004, 08:49 AM   #173
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

All for Julii. All for Rome.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:29 AM   #174
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
I would like to have assassins going. Unfortunately, we haven't quite developed that far yet. It will be soon, though.

CR

Excellent (aw man, no mischievious smiley!)
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:47 AM   #175
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Chiefius's Patience Is Rewarded

Five years ago, we turned down a potential marriage proposal for Sachmius's oldest child, Fadia, becuase the suitor was unworthy of her and of the Julii.

As the weather turned warm once again without a betrothed Fadia, now 20, concern was heavy for the young woman. Fortunately, the weather wasn't all that heated up.

Fadia attracted the interest of a much older man, but an accomplished soldier nonetheless. Titus Katonius is a 46-year-old respected warrior whom has fought for all three Roman factions in one war or another. The 46-year-old captain has been sought after for his tactical expertise and is a welcome addition for his battlefield talents alone.

He brings little else to the table and, indeed, is a rather coarse and brunt man, but he is liked by those close to him. He is a Superior Commander, which gives him +3 COM to begin with.

Sachmius approached Chiefius Rumnii with the proposal and the faction leader agreed. For the moment, Titus Katonius will stay in Arretium with his new bride and, if the gods are willing, provide us with numerous Julii sons.

I'm sure I'll have fun trying.

I've fought for all three factions? How did that happen, and when did I fight for the Julii?
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:24 AM   #176
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
I'm sure I'll have fun trying.

I've fought for all three factions? How did that happen, and when did I fight for the Julii?

Just giving your character nonspecific backstory.

My intent with that specifically was to show you're a bit of a career soldier and while a true Roman, a bit of a mercenary. You fight where the fighting's being fought, and fight under whatever Roman flag is involved. That has taken you from one end of Italy to the other.

I never came up with more specifics than that, though (in my mind, I mean).

CR

Old 11-11-2004, 04:50 AM   #177
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The Battle of Padovia Forest

Izuldius's approach to Patavium was anything but a secret. Julii ships blockaded the port. Rumors of Julii spies ran rampant in the streets of the Gallic city. The conquest of Mediolanium four years before made the threat of Julii conquest ever-present. Indeed, the fall of Cisalpine Gaul made connections to mainland Gaul on the other side of the Alps seem distant and fleeting, and the blockade only heightened that sense of isolation.

So it was no surprise that our approach was well-watched and even predicted, and that the city's garrison would have been preparing for the assault.

What came as a surprise, though, was the decision of the three Gallic captains known to be in the city to march their army out of the city and meet Izuldius on the open field of battle, rather than fighting from the relative safety of Patavium's Wooden Palisade.

The creeks were still thick with melted snow water from the nearby Alps when Izuldius came within a few leagues of the city, just days away from the gates. The Gauls marched their army out of the gates then, and the two sides worked their way back and forth, with light skirmishes here and there, each seeking an advantageous battlefield.

The Gauls eventually settled to the west and somewhat south of Patavium, in the nearby forests of Padovia. It appears that the head general, Captain Cassivellannus, wanted to use the woods as cover from Julii missile troops and to blunt Roman use of cavalry, which can be difficult to maneuver in woods and cannot charge as effectively there.

The Armies

Izuldius had 1156 men under his command, with almost 200 of them horsed. He also had almost 150 Wardogs and 240 missile troops (mostly javelin-throwing Velites, with the oft-traveled Roman archers making up the difference).

Captain Cassivellannus was the main man in charge of the Gauls, but the enemy forces also included Captain Orgetorix, who brought reinforcements from patavium just in time for the battle, and Captain Drustan, who led that first foray last year that was thought to be a preliminary assault on Mediolanium.

The Gauls number 1092 and all are footmen, much to Izuldius's delight. The vast bulk are Warband warriors, with the remainder armored Swordsmen. The warriors are fiercer, while the swordsmen are more polished and well-trained.

When the battle is set to begin, the Julii are in a large meadow that is almost completely surrounded by trees, facing the south (where the thickest concentration of trees are). There is a lighter ring of trees to the left, and the meadow opens up a lot to the right, but otherwise forest front and back.

The Gauls have taken up position deep in the forests to south. Our view of them is tough to pin down, as they sometimes take advantage of being hidden by the trees. They do all seem to be generally in front of us, though, and no set formation that I can see.

Isuldius sets up his force into three components. On the left wing, hidden in the sparse ring of trees there, he has placed two Equite units, a War Dog unit and a Hastati unit. Distantly on the right, far enough to be utilized as a flanking end on the Gauls, he puts two Hastati units, the third Equite unit and a Velite unit. The rest of the force is gathered at the back end of the meadow, so that there is some open space between the Roman lines and the trees infested with Gauls. This is set up in basic form, with Hastati and triarii up front, backed by Velites and the Roman archers, and the second War Dogs unit and Izuldius's unit of spear cavalrymen as backup.

The hope is that the Gauls will stupidly charge from cover and take us head on. If that's the case, they will not likely be aware of our left wing, hidden in the trees, and we could sweep in on them from both wings (although they would be aware of the right wing, out int he open as it is). If this sounds like expecting utter stupidity from our opponents and thus pointless, I agree that it's utter stupidity, but it's not the first time I would see the enemy do something odd. Heck, these brilliant geniuses left the protection of their city for some reason.

The Gauls' intent would be clear. They want to draw us into the trees, and perhaps ambush us. And hope that fighting among the trees will dull our advantages in missile troops and cavalry.

The Battle

This one starts off slowly. The Gauls immediately begin moving around, mostly forward toward the edges of the forest and our lines, so we can see most of the units, including Captain Cassivellannus's Warband unit.

They seem to be tempting us, though, not quite reaching the end of the trees (when we would likely fall upon them with gusto). They will move toward the edge than fallback. I allow this to go one for a little bit, seeing what their plan is.

A Warband and Swordsman units make their way close to our hidden left wing. In fact, I didn't even see them until they were turning away from us. I'm not even sure they saw our wing, or if this was just another dancing maneuver in the trees that reached farther than the others, but still not far enough.

In any case, when I looked at the left wing, I saw both Gaul units retreating from the left wing, with the Swordsmen lagging. My units there remained unmoving and hidden. So I decided to send the Hastati and War Dog units after them. The War Dogs caught them first, and held their attention, while the Hastati fell on them.

This one didn't last long. The Gauls were in retreat and routing very quickly. The Warband that went up the same way had stopped moving and was formed up beyond them, with another Swordsmen and Warband units nearby. I sent the Hastati and War Dog units on to that line (the first real Gaul line I had seen in this one, really).

As they charged deeper into the forest toward the Gallic line, I decided it was time to get everyone else moving. There was a Warband unit near the right edge of the forest line, so I charged all four units from the right wing at that unit. Just behind them was Captain Cassivellannus's Warband, and I selected some of my main forces and focused them on that unit, including two of the Hastati units and the Roman archers. I sent the rest of the central force (except for the War Dogs and Izuldius's bodyguard) toward the left, where the impromptu Gallic line had formed deep in the trees.

About this time, my first Hastati and War Dogs from the left wing hit the leftmost Warband in the line. They certainly made a quick impact, with the War Dogs piling up against one side, and the Hastati pushing along the other side. I knew this was potentially troublesome, though. The Swordsmen and Warband units in that line would soon move over and probably surround our attackers, who were very much outnumbered here. So I decided to storm the two Equite units still hidden at our original left wing position into the line, and double-time some of the central units heading this way.

About this time, our right wing was playing havoc with the Warband unit near the right end of the forest. I charged everyone on that wing deeper into the forest, after Captain Cassivellannus's Warband unit, which seemed set to return to help out the Gaul line under attack on the left.

The two Equite units on the left tore deep furrows into the three Gaul units on the line. It was brutal. Gaul banners were flagging and falling and the line was breaking apart. Captain Cassivellannus's Warband was closing in, though, so we shot one Equite unit away to take on the charging warriors. At the same time, the Equite unit from the right wing had torn through the lone Warband unit there and was hot on the captain's tail. What happened next was sheer beauty. The two Equite units, coming from opposite sides, crashed into the leading Warband unit at the same time, pretty much running right through or over the hapless Gallic warriors.

Captain Cassivellannus was next to go. He lasted a little longer than either line of his unit, but not much longer. He was killed at the end of an Equite javelin and trampled underneath.

By now, the entire Gaul army was in full rout. The vast majority of the remaining enemy was torn down from behind by our War Dogs and charged down by our Equites, who were devastating.

The Gallic army was scattered and running amok, those that weren't dead.

Aftermath

The final numbers on this one were as brutal as they seemed to be on the field. Izuldius's army killed 816 Gauls, leaving less than 300 from the original force. The Gauls killed a stunning 23. In fact, more Julii soldiers (24) fell to friendly fire and accidents than to Gallic weaponry.

All told, we lost 47 men. By unit, it was also amazing to see some of the numbers that were piled up. One of the two Equite units on the left lost eight of their number--and killed 278 of the enemy, most by chasing them down. The other Equite unit on the left killed 134, while also losing just eight. The Hastati unit that drew first blood suffered 16 casualties, but seven healed. They killed 165 Gauls. The War Dog unit on the left didn't lose a single man or dog--and killed 130.

When the battle was over, the Gallic army was nowhere in sight. They did not retreat to Patavium and for all I know, they ran all the way to Alesia without looking back.

Izuldius gained a COM star (up to +2) for his crushing victory.

CR

Old 11-11-2004, 07:03 AM   #178
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Woohoo! Good fight (and good writeup, as usual)!
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:21 AM   #179
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Woohoo! Good fight (and good writeup, as usual)!

Thanks, deadalus (and bump this back to the top; whew, that was close )

CR

Old 11-16-2004, 02:39 AM   #180
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Summer, Year of Rome 491

Patavium Captured Without A Fight

Well, at the city walls anyway.

After defeating the Gauls at Padovia Forest, Izuludius and his army marched on Patavium to finish the job they came to do--and the city just opened the gates for them.

It appears the Gallic garrison was completely emptied for the battle, and no one but local militia and constables of the law were really left around to guard the city. Patavium has a historic background not dissimilar with Romans, despite being under the control of the Gauls, so it was not a surprise, given the circumstances, that they would welcome the arrival of the Julii.

With struggling populations in Segesta and Mediolanium, it's never a hard decision on what to do when we conquer a new city. Izuldius chose to enslave much of the population of Patavium, sending 1717 citizens to the four other Julii cities, allowing us to take over the city with little risk of a popular uprise. The Julii also collected 343 dinarii in compensation of Gallic homes.

The Senate was pleased with the taking of the city, and with it the region of Venetia, thus placing for the first time all of modern day Italy in the hands of Rome. They promised to consider us more for senatorial office in the next elections.

Patavium and Venetia

The conquest of Pavatium and Venetia is a very significant move by our faction. It could take a while to list all the reasons why, but here's a shot:

1) As stated, we have completed the conquest of northern Italy and driven the Gauls back over the Alps.

2) The conquest of Venetia eliminates enemy territories sharing borders with the center of Julii power, in Erutria and Umbria. Enemies will now have to pass through outward provinces to reach us or travel by sea, a decidely more risky proposition given our general strength on the sea.

3) Venetia, like Cisalpine Gaul, is strategically placed for easy defense, with only two passes into the land from non-Julii lands. By capturing Venetia, we can now better protect Julii lands by setting up forts at major passes, like the eastern pass to Noricum and the eastern coastal pass to rebel-held Illyrian. This is combined with critical bottlenecks such as the northern pass from Cisalpine Gaul, and the western pass through the Alps from Liguria.

4) The acquisition of Venetia also allows us to expand without further fighting with the powerful and numerous Gauls, as we can now better travel north and east and down along the Adriatic coast to the Hellenic peninsula.

5) Venetia appears to be a rich land that can provide many economical benefits to the Julii.

So, as you can see, although the Battle of Padovia Forest and the subsequently easy taking of Patavium were fairly simple, it could prove to be one of the key events in our eartly faction history.

Venetia, as I said, is a rich land. It has the dominating Alps along much of its northern border, particularly in the northwest. The west end of the region is centered around the valley of the Po, which is fertile for farmland and wealthy in natural resources. The region has two centers for textile trading and also a heavy sorce of glass along the coast near Patavium.

Although much of the borders are actually cut off by the Alps, Venetia is bordered all along its northern border by the rebel land of Noricum. Two lands can be reached along the east, also in various rebel hands. Dalmatia takes up the immediate coast, while Illyria just beyond sits behind and beyond Dalmatia. To the west, of course, is the Julii-held Cisalpine Gaul. The south and southwest borders are shared with other Julii lands in Umbria along the western Adriatic coast, Erutria most of the remaining border, and a small section of northeastern Liguria also touches a stretch of Venetia in central Italy.

Patavium, sitting in the middle of a strong region, should see immediate strong population growth in the wake of its capture by Izuldius. The population was over 3,000, but the enslavement of much of the city's residents have dropped its numbers to 1673. At a tax rate of High, though, enough income is being left over for the city populace to grow at the highest rate in Julii Rome (6%). Public order is at a manageable 110%, thanks to over 1000 Julii soldiers garrisoning the city at the moment. Izuldius takes over as the governor by default.

There will be a time before the buildings, mostly of Gallic design, are switched over to Roman counterparts, so right now the city has unfamiliar buildings like a Warrior's Hold and a Meeting Hall. More familiar is the Wooden Palisade surrounding the city, the Market and Port contributing to trade, and the Stables and Practice Range for keeping the military in tip top shape.

Naval Battles In The Adriatic

Patavium may have fallen quietly, but as usual, the Gauls' navy has been much more present on the high seas. Admiral Oppius and his three-brireme fleet was forced into action once more.

Oppius found a Gallic boat commanded by an Admiral Motius just outside of the port of Patavium, just to the west. He fell upon the 31-man boat with his 92 men, still battle-weary themselves from a number of navcal engagements the past couple years.

With such a numbers advantage, it was no surprise Oppius and his crews would do well. Although no ships were sunk, Oppius's crews killed 10 Gauls and drove the enemy far down the Adriatic Sea once more. The admiral lost seven of his own men in the fighting.

After the battle it was admittedly time for a refit and a refreshing of the crew, so Oppius sailed his briremes to Arimnum's port for retraining.

Spy Movements

Never a rest for the quiet eyes in the shadows.

Chiefius Rumnii has asked Icius to proceed on to Noricum in the north, to get a read on the rebel Helvetii occupying that exotic foreign land north of the great mountains. At the turn of the season, Icius was just approaching the mountain pass in northern Venetia.

In the west, young fresh spy Neuqua has reached the western pass and proceeded past the watchtower built by Kingfcius years ago. He should pass into Transalpine Gaul well before the snows pile up in the mountains.

Ariminum is the only town in line to start new construction this year (funds ran out before construction could begin in Patavium). The Umbrian capital will add a Military Barracks, finally allowing it to train Hastati units to take on those troublesome brigands to the north.

Ariminum will also retrain the crews of Oppius's briremes, of course.

With Titus Katonius's marriage to Fadia, the new Julii man has become entitled to the better arms and armor available to the soldiers of our faction. His spear cavalry bodyguard will be retrained in the new armor, courtesy of Arretium's Blacksmith, along with a new unit of Equites.

Patavium's own populace will be used as a recruiting base for refreshing depleted Equite and Hastati units from the Battle of Padovia Forest.

In Mediolanium, Kingfcius will be training a diplomat to give the Julii more options with other factions in and around Italy, considering that longtime diplomat Sextus Antio is more or less permanently stationed around the Gaul capital of Alesia far to the north.

CR

Old 12-06-2004, 07:44 PM   #181
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just a little bump to see if this is dead.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:44 AM   #182
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

More like hibernation.

The patch is supposed to be out any day now, and my understanding is most of it will be applicable to saved games (although I'm not sure about that).

So cross your fingers.

CR

Old 01-29-2005, 10:17 AM   #183
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Can I uncross my fingers now?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:55 PM   #184
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

still crossing
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:06 PM   #185
kingfc22
Head Coach

yes, this was fun...