Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What will be the next Solecismic Release?
Front Office Baseball 30 12.45%
Front Office Basketball 10 4.15%
Front Office Football 6 63 26.14%
Front Office Hockey 12 4.98%
Political Sim 42 17.43%
TCY 2 68 28.22%
Other (Please Comment) 16 6.64%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2004, 08:27 AM   #151
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Why would you improve a product, just to release a new version a few days/weeks/months/years/centuries/milleniums later? Doesn't make sense, unless, the Patch for TCY is sort of a "beta test" for the new product? I hope its FOF6, but I don't think anything will come out soon if at all.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:11 PM   #152
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Actually, I'm now reversed course and I'm leaning heavily towards TCY2.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:34 PM   #153
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Hehe, all it took was opening the game, eh? All things considered, the TCY interface IS looking a bit dated. Good grief it's such a good game, though.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:56 PM   #154
condors
College Starter

here is my view for what it is worth

i can play still play TCY and i can still play fof5(heck i played fof1 the just a couple days ago)

i would really like to add another one into the mix

i voted for other and i sure hope it is
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:21 AM   #155
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Hehe, all it took was opening the game, eh? All things considered, the TCY interface IS looking a bit dated. Good grief it's such a good game, though.

Exactly. All it took was a look at the interface and then thinking 'oh yeah, these linebackers don't half half the skill ratings the ones in FOF have.'

I don't see FOF being the next release. I can't see him making 3 consecutive FOF releases before going back to TCY.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:34 AM   #156
Bee
Pro Starter

I really really hope everyone who thinks it's TCY2 is right. The more I think about it, the more I want it to be TCY2. I'm trying not to get my hopes up though and be disappointed. If it's baseball, I might have to call the suicide hotline though...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:14 AM   #157
Klinglerware
College Starter

I'd love to see TCY2 come out sooner than later. But it would make sense if Jim waited until next season, when conference realignments are completed (I hope) and the two new 1-A teams come in. This seems especially prudent, since the game assumes that conference membership is static over time. Jim has been patching the game every year to account for changes in conference membership. It's possible that after next year's conference membership changes, there will be stability in the conference structure, at least for a few years (Jim does express this hope in his write-up on conference re-alignment in his college football rankings section). It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that Jim would wait for the dust to settle in real-life div 1-A football, and release TCY2 then...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 11:34 AM   #158
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

All I know is that Jim, aka Mr Solecismic, must have a very good time watching all that discussion and speculation...
Old 09-17-2004, 11:38 AM   #159
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies
All I know is that Jim, aka Mr Solecismic, must have a very good time watching all that discussion and speculation...

That's why we do it. It's the best amusement we can give back to him in return for all the fun he's provided us.

Well, that and we have a lot of fun speculating using baseless claims and tiny little pieces of "evidence".
Old 09-23-2004, 11:34 AM   #160
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

And I've been fortunate enough to be able to spend all of my time in the home office, working on Front Office Football. One of my long-term goals is to maintain the football games, keeping them on the cutting edge for this type of career simulation.

I got that from his site. I guess he spilled the beans...maybe?
Old 09-23-2004, 11:49 AM   #161
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Noop--

I don't know if it is in this thread, but people have discussed that there are several things on the Solecismic site that look like hints, but that don't quite all add up.

Of course, I would look at any recent change to the site with interest, but I think that a lot of the stuff on there is just old and has not been updated (if, in fact, it needs to be updated).

What I think is interesting is that I really have no idea what he will do because there are good reasons for any of them.

TCY2--it's time for it. Lots of people want it. He still cares about it as evidenced by the patch (or, he does not plan to make it, as evidenced by the patch).

FOF6--playing in a multiplayer league makes him want to make the "perfect" NFL game.

Baseball--He loves the sport, and it seems to fit very well with his awesome stat production engines. There may also be a place for the game with some people becoming a little OOTP weary.

Politial Sim--this seems to be where a lot of the hints are headed, and he has mentioned it before.

Stock Market Sim--one of his IHOF players mentioned that this was the game he was making.

Any of the above would make some level of sense. The only one that I am pretty sure it is not is an NBA sim since Jim has made no bones about his feelings about the NBA.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:03 PM   #162
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Noop--

I don't know if it is in this thread, but people have discussed that there are several things on the Solecismic site that look like hints, but that don't quite all add up.

Of course, I would look at any recent change to the site with interest, but I think that a lot of the stuff on there is just old and has not been updated (if, in fact, it needs to be updated).

What I think is interesting is that I really have no idea what he will do because there are good reasons for any of them.

TCY2--it's time for it. Lots of people want it. He still cares about it as evidenced by the patch (or, he does not plan to make it, as evidenced by the patch).

FOF6--playing in a multiplayer league makes him want to make the "perfect" NFL game.

Baseball--He loves the sport, and it seems to fit very well with his awesome stat production engines. There may also be a place for the game with some people becoming a little OOTP weary.

Politial Sim--this seems to be where a lot of the hints are headed, and he has mentioned it before.

Stock Market Sim--one of his IHOF players mentioned that this was the game he was making.

Any of the above would make some level of sense. The only one that I am pretty sure it is not is an NBA sim since Jim has made no bones about his feelings about the NBA.

I have to confess I didnt read the whole thread. But thank you for that breakdown you provided...I think personally it will be FOF6 but I am hoping for something else... once again thank you.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:24 PM   #163
Schmidty
Coordinator

Maybe he's working on more than one project: TCY2 and the political sim.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:38 PM   #164
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

a transcript of that mention, it's from Floyd B. Boudreaux's intereview with Ann Arbor Anachronism kicker Ann Arbor .

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcript

5.) The software conglomerate that partly owns your team is rumored to be developing a new product. Any locker room rumors as to what that might be?

Rumors are everywhere. Jason Winkle is obsessed with that stuff. I hear they do the coding in a high-security warehouse in New Hampshire. You need to have NSA-level clearance just to get into the building.
Last year, when we played at Syracuse, Jason rented a car and drove to New Hampshire to try and find out what was going on there. Came back with bullet holes in the fenders.
Personally, I don't think they're doing any work at all right now. The team owner's always up here, visiting family and hanging out at practices. But if I had to guess, I'd say he was working on a stock market simulation. He's always talking about this fund and that fund, and how he didn't think he'd be able to afford Donald's signing bonus this year. But he did it.
If we're seriously looking at intereviews with fictional players from fictional teams for clues, Jim has to be laughing his ass off.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:41 PM   #165
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Maybe he's working on more than one project: TCY2 and the political sim.

I was thinking TCY2 and a baseball sim for the spring.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 02:07 PM   #166
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
If we're seriously looking at intereviews with fictional players from fictional teams for clues, Jim has to be laughing his ass off.

I liked the bullet holes in the fenders, myself. I can just picture Jim sitting on his porch shooting at the cars of people who get too close to his house without proper "clearance."
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 02:18 PM   #167
John Galt
Pro Starter

If it is going to be a political sim (which is what I voted for), then he better release it soon. As each day goes by, I think the likelihood of a political sim decreases.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:22 PM   #168
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Damn, I was hoping Jim would make a mistake and vote in the poll...
Old 09-23-2004, 02:22 PM   #169
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
If it is going to be a political sim (which is what I voted for), then he better release it soon. As each day goes by, I think the likelihood of a political sim decreases.

No kidding. You can remove that one from the list.

As I said in an interview a year or so ago, I feel that politics has become such a negative, cynical milieu that I'd have trouble keeping Front Office Politics from being a parody of today's politicians rather than a serious game. Maybe some other time, as I am very interested in politics and remain unaffiliated with any party.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 02:23 PM   #170
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic

As I said in an interview a year or so ago, I feel that politics has become such a negative, cynical milieu that I'd have trouble keeping Front Office Politics from being a parody of today's politicians rather than a serious game. Maybe some other time, as I am very interested in politics and remain unaffiliated with any party.

Rope a dope.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:26 PM   #171
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:

Too bad. Since it can't be a political sim . . . let me speculate some more . . .

If it is going to be TCY2 (which is what I didn't voted for), then he better release it soon. As each day goes by, I think the likelihood of TCY2 decreases.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:29 PM   #172
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Too bad. Since it can't be a political sim . . . let me speculate some more . . .

If it is going to be TCY2 (which is what I didn't voted for), then he better release it soon. As each day goes by, I think the likelihood of TCY2 decreases.

LOL
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 02:29 PM   #173
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And much like in the upcoming election, now that you've given us this information, a segment of the population feels as though it wasted its vote.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 02:33 PM   #174
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Nice.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:16 PM   #175
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

LOL!!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:27 PM   #176
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Heh. I missed this the first time. Well done, JG. Very well done.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:17 PM   #177
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm really hoping for baseball. I mean, I want a game that doesn't miss out on the little things that the other two big games in the text-sim market seem to. I mean, I enjoyed my time with Mogul and OOTP5 was awesome. But I'm really dying for a game that takes the baseball text-sim experience to the next level and Jim has the talent to do that, hands down.

So I'm really crossing my fingers for that. I'm not sure I'd buy an update of the football games, only because I'm not a huge football fan and I bought both TCY and FOF2K4 and haven't touched them much in months - not because they're bad..they're great - but more because I'm just not into it anymore.

I can sit and look at baseball stats for hours upon hours and get dizzy with the possibilities. But with football, I'd much rather see it happening, so I play Madden.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:40 PM   #178
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Heh. I missed this the first time. Well done, JG. Very well done.

You didn't miss it. See post #108 http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...4&page=3&pp=50
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:02 PM   #179
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
But I'm really dying for a game that takes the baseball text-sim experience to the next level and Jim has the talent to do that, hands down.

I'd like to see that too, but a first incarnation game just won't be able to be on par with Puresim or OOTP. Given that, I'd like to see FOF perfected before moving on to another sport. And we are real close as it is.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:03 AM   #180
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Unclear pronoun reference. "This"=John Galt's hilarious follow-up post. No, I didn't miss that statement by Jim.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:21 AM   #181
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Me and the other 7 people that picked basketball will ultimately prevail. There isnt a solid pro game in that sport that i have played as of yet.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:00 AM   #182
Icy
Pro Starter

Great news! i didn't want a political sim as i don't find it interesting at all. With the possible TPF2 out of the scene, Jim doesn't have any competition on football sims, and he is the best doing them, why to change and risk his company when he can keep having his success and our love?
I really hope it's both TC2 and FOF6 with new features like the ones we all suggested and i hope it will be released soon as i'm starting FOF2k4 and TCY dynasties, tweaking the rooster files etc and mybe i'm wasting my time on them when the new versions are close to be released. This is the only reason of why i would like an anouncement, just to be sure if there is going to be a new FOF and/or TCY for this season (the date is not needed to be given) or if he is doing another sport an mybe we are talking about a release in 4 or 5 months.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:59 AM   #183
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Damn, I was hoping Jim would make a mistake and vote in the poll...

Actually, he did vote; he voted 'other' to throw us off...
Old 09-24-2004, 10:25 AM   #184
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Thank the lord...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Me and the other 7 people that picked basketball will ultimately prevail. There isnt a solid pro game in that sport that i have played as of yet.

I hope you're right, steve...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 09-24-2004 at 10:26 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 10:29 AM   #185
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

What, is everyone counting out Front Office Curling? Don't give up the hope, its coming!
Old 09-24-2004, 05:29 PM   #186
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Unclear pronoun reference. "This"=John Galt's hilarious follow-up post. No, I didn't miss that statement by Jim.

My mistake.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 05:36 PM   #187
Easy Mac

So do I get credit for the TCY 1.3 update? I said his milling about meant something was about to be released, but does an update count?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 05:38 PM   #188
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
So do I get credit for the TCY 1.3 update? I said his milling about meant something was about to be released, but does an update count?
Sure, kiddo. Here's a $0.25 gift certificate to 82 Queen.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:44 PM   #189
Easy Mac

Quote:
Sure, kiddo. Here's a $0.25 gift certificate to 82 Queen.

Is that the Elton John concert in Vegas

And I was going to take my girlfriend there one night, but I realized we wouldn't eat... we went to the Mustard Seed instead, where at least she got to eat.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:45 PM   #190
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew

I think HR is cooking something up.

Todd
Old 09-24-2004, 11:48 PM   #191
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I liked the bullet holes in the fenders, myself. I can just picture Jim sitting on his porch shooting at the cars of people who get too close to his house without proper "clearance."

I'll admit that I did laugh out loud when reading that interview. IHOF has given me quite a number of laughs, and I've had way more fun that I could have possibly imagined. It's basically ruined single-player for me.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:44 PM   #192
TLK
Pro Starter

this leads me to think FOF6....

http://www.solecismic.com/targetdata.php

Last edited by TLK : 09-28-2004 at 11:46 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 11:49 PM   #193
korme
Go Reds

Sucks that CJ's performance the past 2 weeks have been hampered by Palmer's accuracy issues.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:44 AM   #194
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
this leads me to think FOF6....

http://www.solecismic.com/targetdata.php

You are the man TLK!!

I bet thats from FOF6. Wow, I would love to see a report like that to dissect my league.

C'mon Jim announce FOF6 already!

Todd
Old 09-29-2004, 08:52 AM   #195
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I anxiously await the Sticky thread to pop up on the board.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:45 AM   #196
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
I anxiously await the Sticky thread to pop up on the board.

Tomorrow?

Todd
Old 09-29-2004, 10:01 AM   #197
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Tomorrow?

Todd
Today?

Arggg i feel so bad, i can't start a new FOF or TCY dynasty as i'm worried of FOF6 or TCY2 being released in the next days. I can't start a CM03/04 dynasty as i know that next month will be released FM, I haven't installed FM demo as i know i can't play more than 6 months and don't want to get atached to any team players... i need my game fix now!!!

Last edited by Icy : 09-29-2004 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:07 AM   #198
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Today?

Arggg i feel so bad, i can't start a new FOF or TCY dynasty as i'm worried of FOF6 or TCY2 being released in the next days. I can't start a CM03/04 dynasty as i know that next month will be released FM, I haven't installed FM demo as i know i can't play more than 6 months and don't want to get atached to any team players... i need my game fix now!!!

I was just thinking this same thing. Next up on my dynasties I never finish is a combo TCY-->FOF dynasty, but I'm waiting on the next release of either game (I truly believe it's FOF 2005), but just in case I don't want to get started with TCY 1.3 just yet.

Oh, the agony.

At least if I know it's FOF 2005, I can get going with the TCY portion of the dynasty.

Todd
Old 09-29-2004, 10:13 AM   #199
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I was just thinking this same thing. Next up on my dynasties I never finish is a combo TCY-->FOF dynasty, but I'm waiting on the next release of either game (I truly believe it's FOF 2005), but just in case I don't want to get started with TCY 1.3 just yet.

Oh, the agony.

At least if I know it's FOF 2005, I can get going with the TCY portion of the dynasty.

Todd

At least Jim could tell us if the new game is FOF or TCy or both, we don't need release date, just a bit more of info to decide what to do with our gamming life.

Dying in agony!! (damn i'm lucky that my recent wife doesn't read this forums, if she could see me craying out loud as a child for a computer game she would be really upset).

Old 09-29-2004, 10:19 AM   #200
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
At least Jim could tell us if the new game is FOF or TCy or both, we don't need release date, just a bit more of info to decide what to do with our gamming life.

Dying in agony!! (damn i'm lucky that my recent wife doesn't read this forums, if she could see me craying out loud as a child for a computer game she would be really upset).

I'm not letting any of this stop my utility work. It's fun to do, and we might (are likely to?) be completely wrong. So I enjoy the speculation, but continue as if nothing is coming out.