Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2004, 10:42 AM   #151
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
I believe it was Summerall who brought it up later in the game. He's seriously going senile and I think Theismann and Maguire humor him at times because he is a respected announcer in the twilight of his life.
At the risk of agreeing with you in this thread ( ) I'm afraid you're right. He made two errors before kickoff (only one of which is immediately coming to mind, when he was listing the offensive lineup for the Chiefs (he called them linebackers before correcting himself). Hopefully he'll be able to make a graceful exit.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:07 AM   #152
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
I believe it was Summerall who brought it up later in the game. He's seriously going senile and I think Theismann and Maguire humor him at times because he is a respected announcer in the twilight of his life.
But then again, he was the only one to notice that the penalty wasn't marked off for the field goal at the end of the half.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:10 AM   #153
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
But then again, he was the only one to notice that the penalty wasn't marked off for the field goal at the end of the half.

He and Trent Green are at about the same level.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:29 PM   #154
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Of course, it seems like every Denver back is overrated.

Griffin is just another in a long line of reasons (Mike Anderson, Portis, Olandis Gary) why Terrell Davis doesn't belong in the HOF.

Except that TD was the best of the bunch. He was the biggest of those backs, the second fastest, the best pure cutback runner of the bunch and a strong player.

I'm hoping that when Portis rushes for 1500+ yards this year people start to understand that while the system is very good for RB's, the RB's still have to be pretty good to run in it. Gary wasn't a good example because by the time he left, he'd already blown out the knee twice.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:38 PM   #155
RendeR
Coordinator

Terrell Davis was an amazing back, however he doesn't belong in the HOF. Gale Sayers (who everyone uses as the basis for getting terrel in) was a man who did everything, rushing, recieving, punt returns, kick returns, he was all over the field and no-one could touch him.

Terrell is not Gale Sayers, he's not even 1/2 of Sayers. Davis played in the single best rushing system in the NFL, Sayers played on an AWFUL Bears squad for his 4-5 years and still put up those numbers.

No Hall for TD.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 05:21 PM   #156
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Terrell Davis was an amazing back, however he doesn't belong in the HOF. Gale Sayers (who everyone uses as the basis for getting terrel in) was a man who did everything, rushing, recieving, punt returns, kick returns, he was all over the field and no-one could touch him.

Terrell is not Gale Sayers, he's not even 1/2 of Sayers. Davis played in the single best rushing system in the NFL, Sayers played on an AWFUL Bears squad for his 4-5 years and still put up those numbers.

No Hall for TD.

Not gonna argue the point, he got hurt too quickly. No arguement at all. I will argue that he was overrated though. I think he was an exceptional RB who could have succeeded in any system.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:28 PM   #157
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Except that TD was the best of the bunch. He was the biggest of those backs, the second fastest, the best pure cutback runner of the bunch and a strong player.

I'm hoping that when Portis rushes for 1500+ yards this year people start to understand that while the system is very good for RB's, the RB's still have to be pretty good to run in it. Gary wasn't a good example because by the time he left, he'd already blown out the knee twice.

Trading Portis for Bailey tells me Shanahan himself leans to the system side of the argument. And I'm 100% sure it's not pride that causes him to do that.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:18 PM   #158
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Even a blind mule reaches water once in a while .
Old 09-14-2004, 06:38 PM   #159
TroyF
Coordinator

Hate to dig up this thread for the fear it'll cause, but I found a guy who had a comparison on a still pick. Opposite legs. . . but you can see where the comparisons in style are.

hxxp://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?threadid=98544
Old 09-14-2004, 06:52 PM   #160
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't learn much from that link, except that those Chiefs fans were pretty entertaining.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:03 PM   #161
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Those had to be the kicker instincts.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:43 PM   #162
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

And since I just remembered this, thought it might be nice to drive a nail into this particular coffin.

Quentin Griffin, 2004 Regular Season: 85 carries, 311 yards, 3.7 YPC, 2 TD.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:04 PM   #163
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
And since I just remembered this, thought it might be nice to drive a nail into this particular coffin.

Quentin Griffin, 2004 Regular Season: 85 carries, 311 yards, 3.7 YPC, 2 TD.

Funny you bring this up now, considering that he was benched five games into the season and spent the last two months of the season on IR. What do these numbers prove in January?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:19 PM   #164
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Funny you bring this up now, considering that he was benched five games into the season and spent the last two months of the season on IR. What do these numbers prove in January?
Grasping + Straws = Pumpy