Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2004, 02:50 PM   #151
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr
a boob. thats all it was, for two seconds. they showed a horse farting and scorching some girl's hair. its america people, yes thats right, AMERICA
Thank's for clearing that up for me. I can't believe I forgot what country this is...
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:54 PM   #152
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I doubt anything will happen as far as fines go, but I do believe the NFL will be more stringent on what the networks can or cannot do with their product.

I am willing to bet MTV will not be in the NFL's plans anytime soon after this.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:55 PM   #153
Easy Mac

Didn't Timberlake use to "freak" ms. Jackson about a year ago. Now he's dating Cameron Diaz... thats a trusting girlfriend.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:56 PM   #154
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog Purple
I doubt anything will happen as far as fines go, but I do believe the NFL will be more stringent on what the networks can or cannot do with their product.

I am willing to bet MTV will not be in the NFL's plans anytime soon after this.

NFL had to have signed off on CBS's halftime plans, not so sure they may have a surprise coming. Lots of hungry lawyers out there with $$ in their eyes!
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:00 PM   #155
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Didn't Timberlake use to "freak" ms. Jackson about a year ago. Now he's dating Cameron Diaz... thats a trusting girlfriend.
People get together in the entertaining biz because their PR people and agents say it's good for exposure. It also covers up many a person's sexual preferences...
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:04 PM   #156
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Didn't Timberlake use to "freak" ms. Jackson
That's "Miss" Jackson, if you nasty!
Old 02-02-2004, 03:04 PM   #157
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
NFL had to have signed off on CBS's halftime plans, not so sure they may have a surprise coming. Lots of hungry lawyers out there with $$ in their eyes!

That my friend is America.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:07 PM   #158
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
That's "Miss" Jackson, if you nasty!

I can't fathom anyone being that nasty to call you Miss Jackson.

sorry miss jacson...i am for real.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:07 PM   #159
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
People get together in the entertaining biz because their PR people and agents say it's good for exposure. It also covers up many a person's sexual preferences...

What do you mean?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:09 PM   #160
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I can't fathom anyone being that nasty to call you Miss Jackson.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Old 02-02-2004, 03:12 PM   #161
Ben E Lou

I think MTV may have misjudged the reaction on this one. Keep in mind that this morning, they still had up the "Janet Jackson routine will be shocking" preview, and they had a picture up touting the performance. Now, they have an apology up, and they've removed the picture and the preview. It looks like they're in full retreat.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:23 PM   #162
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

This thread is so chockablock full of quotable material I almost had a spontaneous clothing malfunction on the spot.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:28 PM   #163
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I have a feeling that the words "Janet Jackson" have been written and uttered about 100,000 more times today across America than they would have been had her top not come off. In a world (celebrity) where image and exposure are currency--she has done quite well for herself with this little stunt.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 04:29 PM   #164
Calis
College Starter

I have a feeling the word "chockablock" has been used one too many times today.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 04:31 PM   #165
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

only in the sense that James Brown did well for himself by getting arrested for beating his wife. Yeah, the name is out there, but are more people going to buy her cds? Doubt it. They'll be googling her boobage instead.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:43 PM   #166
Subby
lolzcat

"Googling her boobage"

I don't know what that means, but it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:00 PM   #167
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

why google it when you could booble it? hxxp://www.booble.com/
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:01 PM   #168
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, this is funny stuff...................personally, increase the boobage, decrease the shooting stuff up. I have no problem with my 4 year old saying "Hehe, her boobie" when she see's something like that. Hell, the kid knows she's gonna have them, i'm not gonna freak if she happens to see one. You think the Afgan people are freaking out these days because they happen to see a womans upper calf or bicep once in a while? Any of them saw this, they probably had an immediate heart-attack..... I love this world, you bunch of loveable wackos!!

Last edited by Cringer : 02-02-2004 at 05:01 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:18 PM   #169
Ben E Lou

I am very disappointed in all of you that it took over 150 posts for the first "Miss Jackson, if you nasty" to come out.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:22 PM   #170
MikeVic
Head Coach

I find this funny.. maybe I am wrong in my views here, but this is a summary of opinions that I've seen, and something that has been on my mind for quite some time...

My European parents, family, etc.. and my Canadian friends, co-workers, etc.. all thought the boob-shot was funny. Some co-workers were pissed about how blown out of proportion this thing is getting, since there was some article saying that an investigation is going to happen.

People on this board: majority of which are from the US.. and a majority think that it was inappropriate... not just the boob shot, but the whole halftime show.

Has anyone else noticed this, if you happen to be a Canadian or European that know people from the US, or someone from the US that knows Canadians or Europeans? It seems like raunchiness, implicit sex, and stuff like that is acceptable in the media, but a tiny boob shot is something that raises this much attention. Violence is also accepted in the media, but nudity isn't.

I don't know if I'm straying away, or bringing something up that isn't there.. and I also don't mean anything bad by it... I was just curious to see if anyone else has noticed something like this?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:27 PM   #171
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I think some people are missing the point:

One fleeting, half-second glimpse of a female breast, even if seen by kids = not really a big deal

Sending the message to kids that it's fun and cool to sneak up on a girl and rip her clothing off = potentially a bigger deal
Old 02-02-2004, 05:38 PM   #172
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
I find this funny.. maybe I am wrong in my views here, but this is a summary of opinions that I've seen, and something that has been on my mind for quite some time...

My European parents, family, etc.. and my Canadian friends, co-workers, etc.. all thought the boob-shot was funny. Some co-workers were pissed about how blown out of proportion this thing is getting, since there was some article saying that an investigation is going to happen.

People on this board: majority of which are from the US.. and a majority think that it was inappropriate... not just the boob shot, but the whole halftime show.

Has anyone else noticed this, if you happen to be a Canadian or European that know people from the US, or someone from the US that knows Canadians or Europeans? It seems like raunchiness, implicit sex, and stuff like that is acceptable in the media, but a tiny boob shot is something that raises this much attention. Violence is also accepted in the media, but nudity isn't.

I don't know if I'm straying away, or bringing something up that isn't there.. and I also don't mean anything bad by it... I was just curious to see if anyone else has noticed something like this?

Its like Gay-Day at DisneyWorld, if you want to do it then at least give those of us with kids thinking this is family entertainment some warning so we can decide for ourselves weather this is appropriate or not. But, see, that would defeat the whole point of the excersise as the 'schock-value' would not be maximized!
Old 02-02-2004, 05:40 PM   #173
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Yeah, the sexual violence element of the whole thing is a bit disturbing, in part because none of the participants seem to be aware of that message being sent.

And Timberlake's "apology" is typical of the kind of non-apologies that drive me insane. Sorry if anyone was offended? How about just saying that you're sorry that you fucked up, or that you staged something inappropriate? Take responsibility, assclown.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:48 PM   #174
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs

One fleeting, half-second glimpse of a female breast, even if seen by kids = not really a big deal

Sending the message to kids that it's fun and cool to sneak up on a girl and rip her clothing off = potentially a bigger deal

I can see teenage boys at schools pawing at teenage girls, wanting to be like Timberlake.. unless of course their parents told them this wasn't acceptable..
Old 02-02-2004, 05:48 PM   #175
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Its like Gay-Day at DisneyWorld, if you want to do it then at least give those of us with kids thinking this is family entertainment some warning so we can decide for ourselves weather this is appropriate or not. But, see, that would defeat the whole point of the excersise as the 'schock-value' would not be maximized!

I didn't even know there was a Gay-Day at DisneyWorld.. is it some parade or something?
Old 02-02-2004, 05:57 PM   #176
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Its an 'unofficial' planned event every June (probably now more like a week) were Gay's show up and basically 'take-over' the theme parks enmass. From what I hear, the behavior can be pretty explicit, and if you blunder into this with your small kids you may spend your whole vacation 'explaining' things to them. Of course, this is the whole point to the excersise by those staging it, you know 'Were Queer, Were Here, Get Used To It!"

Although Disney themselves denies any involvement in sponsoring this event, they steadfastly refuse to take any steps to tone down the explicit behavior or give traditional-minded families any warning. In addition, its come out that Disney's own promotional department actively does promote this event behind the scenes under the guise of 'minority assistance.' O'Reilly has down some stuff on this on his TV show.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:01 PM   #177
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I didn't even know there was a Gay-Day at DisneyWorld.. is it some parade or something?

Bubba thanks you for taking the bait. He was afraid that he may have to toss it out there again.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:07 PM   #178
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Bubba thanks you for taking the bait. He was afraid that he may have to toss it out there again.

<
Old 02-02-2004, 06:07 PM   #179
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
...reloads as he hunkers back down in his blind, awaiting the next one...
Old 02-02-2004, 06:08 PM   #180
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I am very disappointed in all of you that it took over 150 posts for the first "Miss Jackson, if you nasty" to come out.

FOFC is obviously not a part of the Rhythm Nation.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:09 PM   #181
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
FOFC is obviously not a part of the Rhythm Nation.

How about 'Electric Youth?"
Old 02-02-2004, 07:01 PM   #182
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
What do you mean?

He means (sorry if this has been addressed but this thread is long) that there are numerous rumors in Holywood that any number of celebrity marriages are mutually agreed upon shams. The male is gay and the female is a lesbian, but they get together to try keep their sexual orientation a secret. Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman were rumored to be one such marriage.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:20 PM   #183
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralhaze
He means (sorry if this has been addressed but this thread is long) that there are numerous rumors in Holywood that any number of celebrity marriages are mutually agreed upon shams. The male is gay and the female is a lesbian, but they get together to try keep their sexual orientation a secret. Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman were rumored to be one such marriage.

Ricky Martin and any female they have falling all over him. Have to keep the image up.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:25 PM   #184
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Why do you think I titled the thread with "Miss Jackson" instead of the more common Janet. I wanted to be a bit more subtle about it and let someone else use the "Nasty" line...

I just can't wait to see the next Willie Nelson doll comercial. All they need to do is have Timberland and Jackson stand there looking at the doll saying "Sounds like a good idea to me!"

Last edited by BigJohn&TheLions : 02-02-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:31 PM   #185
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs

^^^^
gets it
Old 02-02-2004, 07:36 PM   #186
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralhaze
Thanks for explaining before I got the chance to. Some of the biggest ladies-men are actually covering for their, ahem. You get the picture. Another example is said to be Afleck/Lopez.

Also, many times when you see two celebs out it is set up by their PR people to get their name out there.

When has the name Janet Jackson been used more than it has been in the past 24 hours? (when is the last time you heard the name janet jackson?)
If Mike Tyson had said "I'm gonna put Lennox on the floor in four" instead of "I'm gonna eat his children" would he have gotten the press? No. PR is designed to get the name out there (By the way, before the Lewis fight, Mike toned down his rhetoric, then was promptly dumped by the Dan Klores Agency. Coincidence?)

CBS = See B.S.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:49 PM   #187
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

ESPN

Jackson's camp has some more details. This seems to be the most feasible explanation I've heard so far...

"The decision to have a costume reveal at the end of my halftime show performance was made after final rehearsals. MTV was completely unaware of it," she said. "It was not my intention that it go as far as it did. I apologize to anyone offended -- including the audience, MTV, CBS and the NFL."

Jackson's official Web site was bombarded with angry postings. Her spokeswoman, Jennifer Holiner, said a red lace garment was supposed to remain when Timberlake tore off the outer covering.

Holiner said she was not sure whether Jackson's medieval-looking nipple decoration was meant to be seen.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:55 PM   #188
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

This post was my experience in a nutshell. My wife's family (She is from Spain) called, talking about it was one of the funnist things they had saw. Even my parents (also foreigners) who I thougt is was hilarious. My 4 year old watched the entire show with myself and my wife and did not notice the tit. I put him to bed after halftime. No big deal right. Today however my son ask me what was the big deal with the Super Bowl. So Ihad to explain the hysteria of the aftermath not the event itself. Sex in and of itself is bad in the US. Violence is not. After living in Europe for seven years, I know the exact opposite is true (I don't think they have ever shown even the EDITED version of the Exorcist on German TV) Long way of saying yes I have noticed
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:57 PM   #189
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
ESPN

Jackson's camp has some more details. This seems to be the most feasible explanation I've heard so far...

"The decision to have a costume reveal at the end of my halftime show performance was made after final rehearsals. MTV was completely unaware of it," she said. "It was not my intention that it go as far as it did. I apologize to anyone offended -- including the audience, MTV, CBS and the NFL."

Jackson's official Web site was bombarded with angry postings. Her spokeswoman, Jennifer Holiner, said a red lace garment was supposed to remain when Timberlake tore off the outer covering.

Holiner said she was not sure whether Jackson's medieval-looking nipple decoration was meant to be seen.

You mean MTV, NFL or CBS were not in on the conspiracy? Now there is a dissappoinment
Old 02-02-2004, 08:08 PM   #190
Anthony
Banned

it's no big deal. tits are a part of humans. most kids see them when they nurse, what is it about the time fro mwhen they stop nursing till they're 18 that makes an exposed breast so controversial? in a controlled family environment i see no problem with having a child see 2 seconds of a breast. it's when the child is alone without supervision, yes, perhaps i'd have a prob with nudity. but if i have a child and something like this happens, i'm not going to dip my child in the bath to purify it's virgin mind.

i'll keep my future child away from porn.

momemtary glimpes of the female anatomy will be allowed. no need to burn anyone at the stake.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:12 PM   #191
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
i'll keep my future child away from porn.

momemtary glimpes of the female anatomy will be allowed. no need to burn anyone at the stake.

At the rate this country is heading, 10 or 15 years from now that may be harder than you think.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:44 PM   #192
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
This post was my experience in a nutshell. My wife's family (She is from Spain) called, talking about it was one of the funnist things they had saw. Even my parents (also foreigners) who I thougt is was hilarious. My 4 year old watched the entire show with myself and my wife and did not notice the tit. I put him to bed after halftime. No big deal right. Today however my son ask me what was the big deal with the Super Bowl. So Ihad to explain the hysteria of the aftermath not the event itself. Sex in and of itself is bad in the US. Violence is not. After living in Europe for seven years, I know the exact opposite is true (I don't think they have ever shown even the EDITED version of the Exorcist on German TV) Long way of saying yes I have noticed

I think I'm getting to understand the use of the word 'Liberal" here. In effect, it means that any behavior a Liberal deems appropriate regardless of shock or effect is ok or even desirable even when it comes to exposing your (not just their own) kids to it. But if you ever breath ONE word about God or morality to them, then you have CROSSED THE LINE and subjected THEM to GRAVE offenses and insults!!! Interesting.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:48 PM   #193
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I think I'm getting to understand the use of the word 'Liberal" here. In effect, it means that any behavior a Liberal deems appropriate regardless of shock or effect is ok or even desirable even when it comes to exposing your (not just their own) kids to it. But if you ever breath ONE word about God or morality to them, then you have CROSSED THE LINE and subjected THEM to GRAVE offenses and insults!!! Interesting.

Where exactly did you get liberal and/or God/morality out of my statement?!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 09:56 PM   #194
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
Where exactly did you get liberal and/or God/morality out of my statement?!!!

Just talking in broad terms, since yours was the last in a seemingly continues thread claiming this is all great ado about nothing. Maybe, but its undeniably getting worse, and the great outrage many are displaying is that this was not done on the Golden Globes or MTV Music Awards after 9:00, it was sprung on families (many with small kids) weather they agreed with it or liked it or not.

Sorry if the broadside about Liberals got some on you and your not. But one other note about Europeans. I've spent a few years in Germany, and families leaving porn videos around the house for the kids to see is not at all uncommon. Maybe they see this as 'natural' and maybe even 'educational' in Europe, but here in the U.S. we may not deem this 'enlightment' all that necessary or desirable.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:03 PM   #195
SFL Cat
College Starter

Yesssss, let's praise the whole Super Bowl halftime message that women are just sexual play-things for men to have their way with. Maybe next year we could have an actual rape as an encore. What idiocy.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:04 PM   #196
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I think Michael Powell had it right when he said the boob incident was just the culmination of a completely trashy and inappropriate display (paraphrased).

I also still can't believe more people aren't upset about Kid Rock and the flag.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:11 PM   #197
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Just talking in broad terms, since yours was the last in a seemingly continues thread claiming this is all great ado about nothing. Maybe, but its undeniably getting worse, and the great outrage many are displaying is that this was not done on the Golden Globes or MTV Music Awards after 9:00, it was sprung on families (many with small kids) weather they agreed with it or liked it or not.

Sorry if the broadside about Liberals got some on you and your not. But one other note about Europeans. I've spent a few years in Germany, and families leaving porn videos around the house for the kids to see is not at all uncommon. Maybe they see this as 'natural' and maybe even 'educational' in Europe, but here in the U.S. we may not deem this 'enlightment' all that necessary or desirable.

Oh okay. I was just responding to a common question that many that live outside of the U.S. have about our culture. European culture in which TV violence is akin to pornography in the States. I agree that this was sprung (no pun intended) on all of us unexpectedly no matter if you were offended by it or not. My debate is whether the incident in and of itself (as opposed to the thinking that this is a part of something broader) was worth the great outrage and whether that great outrage had a bigger effect on the kids than the incident. My experience was that the outrage had the bigger effect
Old 02-02-2004, 10:17 PM   #198
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

But I haven't seen anything wrong with these German kids being exposed to porn. I think this sort of culture proves that porn/nudity doesn't negatively affect youth. Violence has a far worse affect on kids. And you see that everywhere on TV, with no real voice being spoken against it (compared to that of sex/nudity).

It's fine that in the US the nudity aspect is frowned upon... I just think it's weird that other, "worse" things aren't taken as seriousley. Violence is treated as if it's nothing.

I think I'm straying... I just wanted to reply to that last line you put.. gives me the impression you think the US cultures are better than that of others...

Last edited by MikeVic : 02-02-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:19 PM   #199
Easy Mac

Quote:

I think its even more sad that it had to be provoked by someone who was around 4 when she said that for the first time in a song.

And "Electric Youth" is a Debbie Gibson song
Old 02-02-2004, 10:21 PM   #200
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards

I also still can't believe more people aren't upset about Kid Rock and the flag.

Since 9/11/2001, the Flag has been misused but that has been accepted as a "show of patriotism" The Flag should never be worn as part of wearing apparel but how many jackets, t-shirts, hats, bikinis etc do we see with the Flag? I am not excusing the use but I think it was a sign of ignorance than disrespect