Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2004, 04:01 PM   #151
Comey
College Starter

Alright...I'm up again...I guess here, it's down to two guys...so again, I'm going to go out on a limb and hope the other guy falls.

My pick is QB Otto Graham.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #152
mckerney
Coordinator

In a pick to complete my backfield, I'll select two way player Bronko Nagurski, the only player ever to be named an All American at two different positions when in 1929 sportswriters named him all american at tackle and fullback.

As previously selected Don Hutson once said, "At Alabama, I’d been known as a good defensive end, so I played Nagurski the way I’d play a Georgia fullback. On first down they gave him the ball, and he ran straight over me. I mean he ran me down and kept going without breaking stride." (link)

And from the same site, there is what is perhaps the most famous Nagurski story:
"Scoring the winning touchdown in that game – at the south end of a cramped field where the end zone was only nine yards deep – Nagurski stomped on two opponents, leaving one unconscious and the other with a broken shoulder. Next he collided with a goal post and spun into the wall, which stopped him at last. Picking himself up, he told a teammate, "That last guy hit pretty hard."

Last edited by mckerney : 01-21-2004 at 04:18 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:46 PM   #153
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'll add to the crowd and say Night Train and Hutson were great picks. I was considering Hutson for my 2nd pick and hoping he'd continue to fall.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:23 PM   #154
pskov
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey
Alright...I'm up again...I guess here, it's down to two guys...so again, I'm going to go out on a limb and hope the other guy falls.

My pick is QB Otto Graham.
Damn you!

Last edited by pskov : 01-20-2004 at 05:24 PM.
pskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:30 PM   #155
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

OK, I think the last I don't know how many picks have been good ones. And darn you mckerney, I wanted that badass Nagurski. I should've known after you took Thorpe that you would've reached into the Way Back machine again for another old-time stud. I love that last story of his by the way, excellent stuff. Another good quote I saw about him was "There's only one way to defense him -- shoot him before he leaves the dressing room."
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:31 PM   #156
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

dola

I have a sneaking suspicion Noble Platypus is gonna grab the guy I'm hoping for a pick later. Damn.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:02 PM   #157
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
And darn you mckerney, I wanted that badass Nagurski. I should've known after you took Thorpe that you would've reached into the Way Back machine again for another old-time stud.

Yes, I like going old school.

White may not be quite as old school as the other two, and he was a Cowboy, but he was also the first guy to define the nose guard position. There are guys who are bigger than the ones I've selected, though I'll take their toughness and intensity over someone who weighed a few more pounds.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:45 PM   #158
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Well, I have several guys on my list, but since I went Offense with my first 2 picks I think I better go Defense.
Bruce Smith.
I know he is a joke now, but has been absolutly dominating for almost his entire career. He is the all time sack leader and a playmaker.

Last edited by Noble_Platypus : 01-20-2004 at 10:46 PM.
Noble_Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:47 PM   #159
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Did I get your guy Jag?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:48 PM   #160
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble_Platypus
Well, I have several guys on my list, but since I went Offense with my first 2 picks I think I better go Defense.
Bruce Smith.
I know he is a joke now, but has been absolutly dominating for almost his entire career. He is the all time sack leader and a playmaker.

just to clarify, he is the all-time sack leader since they started keeping track of sacks (which is what 84?)
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:54 PM   #161
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Actually its 82. And I agree, its bullshit to have the record when I know there are probably 5 guys from back in the day with more sacks, but officially he gets it. I think its bullshit that Strahan has the single season record on the lay down by Favre, but if you look in the rercord books his name is there. Regardless, he is a force and makes an offense account for him on every play.

Last edited by Noble_Platypus : 01-20-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:07 PM   #162
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Actually its 82. And I agree, its bullshit to have the record when I know there are probably 5 guys from back in the day with more sacks, but officially he gets it. I think its bullshit that Strahan has the single season record on the lay down by Favre, but if you look in the rercord books his name is there. Regardless, he is a force and makes an offense account for him on every play.

As a Bills fan I'm not putting Bruce down I was just sayin.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:00 AM   #163
pskov
Mascot

I have to say, I have never really been a fan of Smith, he never seemed to be as dominating as some other D-linemen were. I am even less of a fan of a guy who sticks around several years past his prime just to fuel his ego to get a (already mentioned pretty meaningless) record.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:08 AM   #164
Vince
Pro Starter

Not that I think Smith is playing for these reasons, but...

I intend to play sports until they pry my dead fingers off the damn ball. I don't play professional level sports, but I do strive to find the most competitive league I can get into. If I were a professional athlete, I'm sure I'd feel the same way. And while I'm not sure how I'll feel when I'm 40 (22 now, so long ways to go), but I don't think my drive will change all that much. Because of my feelings on the matter, I don't understand why people knock players who play 'past their prime...' I feel like I can relate to them in some way.

Ok, now that I've typed that into the quick reply box, it looks stupid...I'm attmepting to say that me, a 22 year old kid, can relate to a 40 year old man whose skills are declining, because of competitive drive. Oh well...
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 03:54 AM   #165
pskov
Mascot

IMO there is a difference between plaing past your prime for your love of the game and playing past your prime for egotistical (Bruce Smith) or monetary (Emmit Smith) reasons.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:10 AM   #166
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Noble: Nope, but you were on the right track.

I'd like to choose a DT, but I feel like the ranks there have been thinned out a bit. I've got a great cover corner roaming the secondary, so let's make it even harder on QB's by taking a great pass rusher. My selection will be the most dominating defensive end I ever saw play, DE Reggie White. Various accolades: 13 straight Pro Bowl appearances, second on the 'all-time since 1982 sack list' with 198 sacks, leads all players since 1982 in playoff (12) and Super Bowl sacks (3), got 21 sacks in 12 games in 1987, only 3 of his 15 years did he not get over 10 sacks in a season.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:31 AM   #167
pskov
Mascot

Yep, the only DE who I could place next to Deacon Jones. Good pick. Mine is coming up shortly, just need to ponder it a bit longer.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:44 AM   #168
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

And barring a crazy spate of picks today, I won't be able to make my next pick until Sunday, as I'm heading to Chicago for my wedding and won't be getting on the internet while I'm out there.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:51 AM   #169
pskov
Mascot

Okay, I've gone defence with my first two picks and despite a strong wish to go defence again and get someone on the board who I really like, I am going to hope that either he or one other player I have in mind falls to me in the fourth (Doesn't this whole draft seem to be based around wishing players fall to you?) so I will pick someone who a) Should have been taken off the board already and b) I don't think will fall any further.

This player is someone who was once hailed as potentially the best ever at his position, but since then his reputation has become tarnished meaning in the last few years he has been constantly overlooked when compiling these types of greatest lists. I find this ridiculous. He was the first player ever to gain 2000 yards rushing and that was in only 14 games, some say his season two years later was even better (2200+ total yards with 23 TD's, both then records). He was a perfect blend between the power and force of a Jim Brown and the twists and cuts of a Barry Sanders. He was simply 'The Juice'...

O.J. Simpson, RB
Old 01-21-2004, 06:31 AM   #170
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

The Juice is Loose!

Well at least the 3 guys I was thinking of taking are still on the board. I'm about to go off to work so if VPI picks, I won't be able to make my selection til about 5pm EST (unless I remember to try and hop on the board at work on my lunch).
Old 01-21-2004, 09:44 AM   #171
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

After two offensive selections, I'm going for defense in the third round. Every defense needs a leader who can provide intensity, as well as intelligence. The man who I think embodies both of those characteristics is ...
Mike Singletary, LB

- 10 time Pro Bowler
- 2 time Defensive Player of the Year
- Pro Football Hall of Fame
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:06 AM   #172
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I considered Reggie White, but I personally never liked him. I wont draft a guy I dont like for my team, its for that reason I wouldnt have drafted Sanders at CB, I dont like him either.I know that Bruce is staying past his prime to get the record, but if you look at his stats throughout his career he was pretty dominating.

Last edited by Noble_Platypus : 01-21-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:29 AM   #173
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
After two offensive selections, I'm going for defense in the third round. Every defense needs a leader who can provide intensity, as well as intelligence. The man who I think embodies both of those characteristics is ...
Mike Singletary, LB

- 10 time Pro Bowler
- 2 time Defensive Player of the Year
- Pro Football Hall of Fame
Aaaaargh! You BASTARD!
Old 01-21-2004, 12:10 PM   #174
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Aaaaargh! You BASTARD!
It's not like I killed Kenny or anything...
Old 01-21-2004, 12:33 PM   #175
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I considered Reggie White, but I personally never liked him. I wont draft a guy I dont like for my team, its for that reason I wouldnt have drafted Sanders at CB, I dont like him either.I know that Bruce is staying past his prime to get the record, but if you look at his stats throughout his career he was pretty dominating.
Shrug, I never liked Bruce Smith. Especially this year I don't think anyone can doubt he is anything but a selfish player. I have no problem with him staying past his prime to get a record, he wouldn't be the first...but this year he was complaining about not getting enough playing time to allow him to get the record. That's ludicrous. According to the grapevine, he never particularly got along well with teammates as well...maybe a Bills fan could better respond to that one.

I understand not drafting guys you don't like though. I'm personally willing to put up with some jerks as long as they bring something incredible to the table. Since you figure that would cover just about everyone in this draft, most players are fair game for me.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:11 PM   #176
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I wanted to solidify the middle of defense with this pick. I wanted someone who could help stop the run and crush opposing receivers if they dared cross the middle of the field. To be able to get a guy who could be considered the best at his position, a 4 time Super Bowl Champion, a 10 time Pro Bowler, 5th in career Ints (63), and an on-field leader...

Ronnie Lott, S
Old 01-21-2004, 04:12 PM   #177
Comey
College Starter

Sigh...that's who I was going to go with (Lott).

Good pick, Chubby.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:16 PM   #178
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey
Sigh...that's who I was going to go with (Lott).

Good pick, Chubby.

Thanks

I knew he wouldn't last til the next round while the other couple of guys I was thinking of would.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:19 PM   #179
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

The decision on my pick was either Singletary or Lott. I was kinda hoping that everyone would forget about Lott so he would be there in Round 4
Old 01-21-2004, 04:24 PM   #180
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The decision on my pick was either Singletary or Lott. I was kinda hoping that everyone would forget about Lott so he would be there in Round 4

Singletary is a great pick.

I just look at it as, who will make the biggest impact on my team and I def feel that Lott would do that with the available players. And I think that the other guys I want will fall
Old 01-21-2004, 04:26 PM   #181
pskov
Mascot

Quote:
I was kinda hoping that everyone would forget about Lott so he would be there in Round 4
Me too.

Last edited by pskov : 01-21-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:35 PM   #182
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I really wanted Singletary to anchor my defense, and Ronnie Lott was up there, too. Instead, I'll start in the defensive trenches and fall back on one of my all-time favorites:

DT Alan Page
Old 01-21-2004, 04:48 PM   #183
Vince
Pro Starter

Damn it Chubby, you really suck. I'll be back with my pick in a second or three...
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:06 PM   #184
Vince
Pro Starter

Ok, not too excited that Lott is off the board. Here's hoping my other pick in this set squeaks by the four picks between me and now...

With our next pick, we select 6-time Pro-Bowler, single season rushing record holder RB Eric Dickerson. With the structure of the two teams picking after me, I think there's no way he could have lasted, and I like having him as my running back. The level of talent in the positions I really want (S or D-Line) is low enough that I needed to grab someone else with this pick, in my opinion.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:07 PM   #185
Vince
Pro Starter

Triple Dola - Bearcat729, you are on the clock.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:10 PM   #186
pskov
Mascot

Pah, The Juice would've got those extra 80 or so yards if he had another two games...

Good pick though, Dickerson played RB as if he was on ice skates. He just glided across the turf and around defenders.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:30 PM   #187
Vince
Pro Starter

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I should have gone with someone else...it depends upon who Bishop picks.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:25 PM   #188
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I will select with this pick LB Willie Lanier.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:46 PM   #189
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

bishopmvp for 2
Old 01-21-2004, 07:49 PM   #190
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I select Mel Blount, CB and John Hannah, G. Getting the only other shut-down Cornerback in the draft was a priority and picking up one of the top 2 Offensive Linemen of All-Time will give me someone to run behind whenever I get a Running Back. When a Guard is the best player in a franchise's history, you know he's good. I was hoping Hutson, Lott and Night Train Lane would fall, but I am happy with my picks.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:04 PM   #191
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
I select Mel Blount, CB and John Hannah, G. Getting the only other shut-down Cornerback in the draft was a priority and picking up one of the top 2 Offensive Linemen of All-Time will give me someone to run behind whenever I get a Running Back. When a Guard is the best player in a franchise's history, you know he's good. I was hoping Hutson, Lott and Night Train Lane would fall, but I am happy with my picks.

Don't lie, you're in the group of people pissed I took Lott

Just wait til my next pick
Old 01-21-2004, 08:07 PM   #192
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

LOL Chubby.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:33 PM   #193
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

We select DE Gino Marchetti.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:59 PM   #194
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I considered Marchetti, being a Colts fan and all. I balked because he was only 244 pounds. In his day that was a monster, but now you cant play DT at 244. A great pick though, he was one of the best.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:02 PM   #195
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Oh if only vince would get here then I could go to bed since WSUcougar is here already...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:04 PM   #196
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
We select DE Gino Marchetti.

We? You got a mouse in your pocket?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:11 PM   #197
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
We? You got a mouse in your pocket?

Don't talk back to the voices, they do not like that
Old 01-22-2004, 02:56 AM   #198
Vince
Pro Starter

Well, Marchetti was one of my top candidates for pick number 39, but instead...

I'll go with Phi Beta Kappa, 14 consecutive pro-bowler, NFL Player of the year in 1974, DT Merlin Olsen. A solid player with an incredible mind to back up his physical skills, some people think he was even better than Deacon Jones, who got all the publicity as the 'playmaker.' He helped anchor the Fearsome Foursome, and played in 198 straight NFL games.

I needed a strong presence up front, and there aren't many players around that are as good as he is. With Olsen up front and Butkus right behind him, my team has a solid core on defense...and while I'd have loved to have a gamebreaking player like Lott, having a solid defensive front isn't bad either.

WSUCougar, you're on the clock.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:27 AM   #199
pskov
Mascot

Nooo, the last 4 picks were ones I was targeting with mine! Especially Mel Blount, I was sure he would last until me....
Old 01-22-2004, 03:44 AM   #200
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I am hoping against hope 1 player falls to me. I should have picked him instead of Hannah, and realized this like 2 minutes later. Only what, 22 more pikcs or so until my next one?