Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2003, 08:01 PM   #151
Patman
n00b

I'll volunteer for both missions. I was in on the entire base attack last time, and I will gladly volunteer my experience.
Dying peace in me and you
Locked in a place where no one goes.
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:38 PM   #152
Tasan
College Starter

I'm there for a base mission if there's a slot left. I think I have a cow to avenge, or something like that ;- )
Old 07-30-2003, 06:10 AM   #153
condors
College Starter

how deep am i on the waiting list?
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:36 PM   #154
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Just to make hearts go a-flutter around here, Gamespot has a preview of the new X-Com game up on their website. (Too lazy to link, but it should be the primary article on the site. If not, look it up in the PC Preview section.)
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:08 PM   #155
tucker342
Pro Starter

here's the preview for everyone: link

9/13/2003!!!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:32 PM   #156
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I'd volunteer but my 10 bravery makes me more liable to be a danger than a help...if you need me, take me.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:05 PM   #157
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Thanks for all the volunteers! We're looking good to go! And thanks too, for letting me know if you'd prefer not to go. That helps as well.

Coming up...

I'll be posting the next mission Thursday, as a special Thursday edition of X-COM II.

Probably by Friday, I'll post an updated stat sheet, with an updated waiting list, etc.

By Saturday at the latest, I'll post the scout team (probably only 3-5 people, with two or three selected to actually go into the base).

I'll post the scout mission this Sunday. The scout mission is usually short, so it should be easy to get it done in three days.

Early next week, we'll post the Strike Team for the base raid, and start shuffling its members into EU COM for the raid launch.

If we don't get interrupted by alien UFOs, I'll do my best to play and write up the base raid by the following Sunday, but this might be tricky as I'll be out of town for a couple of days next week.

We must intercept all the UFOs we can, though, so if they show up, we'll hit them first, and the base mission will get delayed (in real time, not much in game time). It takes a few days of game time to assemble the Strike Force at EU COM, so in this time it is more than likely that we'll get hit at least once by UFOs.

Still, we'll drive on, one UFO at a time! I have a feeling that if we can do well in the next dozen battles, we may be able to swing the tide in our favor. We've got boatloads of cash from all the stuff we've taken out of the recent huge UFOs, and if we can make it to when we get our PSI abilities apparent, I think we have a chance.

Of course, after hitting a second alien base, you can be sure that the aliens will come a huntin' for our bases! Yee haw! Come get some! We're waiting.

God, I love the smell of burnt Muton in the morning. It smells like...

McDonalds!

______

condors: You're #112 on the waiting list (it's on page 2 of this thread, in the stats post). You've got a number of people in front of you, but quite a few of them haven't posted here recently, so I think you may get called up quickly. Um, the upcoming base raid will more than likely result in quite a few call-ups as well.

Wolfpack, Tucker: Wow! Those screen shots actually look pretty good! Should be interesting. September 13 release date, eh? So in game industry language, that means we should see it right after New Year's? I wonder about a couple of things though (limited to seven agents on a mission? or is that in your entire force?), and I'm a bit skeptical that they can pull it off, but it is by far the closest thing I have seen to recapturing the spooky feel of the original game. Definitely a release that I'll be watching.

And lastly, thanks to everyone that voted on this thread over the past few days! I don't really pay much attention to it, but when I saw this fall to a "three" a few days ago I was curious. Since then about a dozen of you have taking the time to vote your support. Thanks!

GO FOF X-COM II!

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 07-30-2003 at 10:07 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:05 PM   #158
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I. Want. That. Game.

Please don't suck! Please don't suck! Please don't suck!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:52 PM   #159
tucker342
Pro Starter

How could this thread possibly be a three?!?!?!?! That's just sick!
Old 07-30-2003, 11:45 PM   #160
Kodos
Resident Alien

Somebody is being an idiot and giving this thread low votes for god knows what reason. My suggestion to that person: Get a life.

I hope a sectoid gives you a real good ass-probing.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:39 PM   #161
tucker342
Pro Starter

Kodos, couldn't you give them one??? We wouldn't want the sectoids to get to excited
Old 07-31-2003, 12:46 PM   #162
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd rather leave that kind of thing to the sectoids, thanks. They actually seem to enjoy it.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:11 PM   #163
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

57th Mission: Russian Raid!

The EU COM Skyranger soars east, for what will be our 4th mission in less than 24 hours. The men on board are well aware that the situation is eerily similar to the last big UFO wave to hit Europe: we assaulted three large UFOs will few casualties, then faced an easy mission against a downed scout. However, in that last “cakewalk”, we lost two solid agents. With this in mind, Commander Kodos makes the rounds to each soldier, reminding them to keep alert, to be at their best, and to guard against overconfidence against what should be relatively easy foes.

We’ve got one rookie on board today. Newly recruited Anxiety has joined our ranks, and will be seeing his first action today. The men are a bit concerned, though, as he seems to be quivering in his seat as the Skyranger begins its gentle descent to the Russian countryside. Hang in there, rook!

Another dawn, another battle.

Left Side:
1. Chief Rum II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
2. Render II (Blaster Launcher, Laser Pistol, Power Suit)
3. 3ric III (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
4. Sachmo II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
5. Al Hill III (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)

Right Side
1. Klayman II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
2. Kodos (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
3. CTHomer (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
4. Anxiety (Heavy Plasma, Stun Launcher, Power Suit)
5. Astott (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)

The Skyranger drops through the cloudless dawn sky to the rolling Russian countryside below. We can see the sun poking its top over the distant horizon as we descend the final 100 meters to the battlefield. Air temperature is chilly for early September: 50 degrees. The cool air has formed pockets of mist that sit in some of the low areas of farmland below.

The Skyranger will be touching down on the southeast corner of the battle quadrant. This means that the area to the right of our exit and the area at the nose of the Skyranger should be clear of aliens. The battle should occur to the left and rear of the Skyranger exit. The terrain is typical rural Russia: fields, stone fences, and barns. The area to the immediate rear of the Skyranger is a clear, flat field that stretches off to an equally flat cabbage patch that lies about 40 yards away. To the immediate left of the exit lies a dense apple grove. To the right of that lies a two-story barn. We’ve got nothing protecting us as we come out. I sure hope that barn is empty, or we could be in for a tough fight from the get-go. There is no sign, as yet, of the downed UFO.

The Skyranger bounces hard on the Russian soil, then lands again with less abruptness. The rear exit gate falls away…

Silence. Following protocol, we send our automated tank onto the ramp to scout the area near the Skyranger. It hits the ramp, makes it to the bottom, spins…

Nothing. We begin our deployment. Klayman II exits the Skyranger, gets behind the tank, and follows it towards the barn entrance. CT Homer exits and heads straight for the cabbage patch. Anxiety exits and fans left, heading toward the apple grove. Render II exits, runs up towards the nose of the Skyranger, and sets up a firing position with the Blaster Launcher. The rest of the men shuffle to the Skyranger exit.

Still no alien activity. We can see now that there are more apple orchards just past the barn, to our right as we look at it, and also behind the barn as well. We still can’t locate the UFO.

We continue our deployment. The tank and Klayman II head directly for the barn entrance, and once they get there, our tank pokes its turret inside: empty. It then slides along the near wall to look at the grove to the right of the barn: no signs of movement there as well. Humm. Where are they?

We form two groups and continue our movement. CTHomer, who can see that the cabbage patch and the areas beyond it are clear of aliens, breaks left to join Klayman II at the barn entrance. Al Hill III exits the Skyranger and heads this way as well. We still have the second floor of the barn to check, and we’d also like to get control of this barn because of the good firing angles it affords onto the area behind it, where the aliens simply have to be. These three men will take care of this task.

3ric III and Chief Rum II exit the Skyranger and join Anxiety at the apple orchard to the left of the barn. These men will move through this orchard and the field beside it, with the aim of taking up firing positions at the far end of it.

We pull our tank back to the left side of the barn, and will run it alongside the barn, effectively running down the middle of our two groups. We should be able to send it either way should we run into opposition.

Kodos, Sachmo II, and Astott wait in the Skyranger. Render II waits tensely with the Blaster Launcher by the nose of the Skyranger.

As Al Hill, CTHomer, and Klayman are getting set up to enter the barn, 3ric, Anxiety, and Chief Rum II start their sweep of the orchard and field to the barn’s left. About ten yards in, Chief Rum—on the left side of the sweeping line—spots a section of the UFO sticking up from behind a low hedge wall, about 100 yards in front of them. The men continue their sweep, but Kodos and Sachmo II exit the Skyranger to join them. They may need more firepower.

Meanwhile, Al Hill III and Klayman II bust into the first floor of the barn and start for the stairs at the far end. CTHomer keeps and eye on the apple orchard that lies to the right of the barn, and can now see another orchard behind that one. If there are aliens in there, they could cause problems for our men advancing towards the UFO. CTHomer calls for Astott to join him in order to search the area.

Our r tank reaches the farm end of the barn and scans the apple orchard that lies behind it: clear. Man, these aliens are either all in one place, or there just aren’t many of them out there.

3ric III and Anxiety reach the far end of the apple orchard to the left of the barn. There is a large hedge wall here that effectively blocks any light of sight beyond the grove, and the two men hold up for the moment. To their left, Chief Rum II, then Kodos, reach a low stone wall at the far end of the open field and take up firing positions on the UFO. Sachmo II holds up a short ways behind them. From here, the men can see that the UFO is a small, one-room scout. It looks to have weathered its crash landing in good shape: the entire craft is in one piece, and there are no signs of smoke or fire.

Our next move will be to advance on the UFO, but we need to secure both the second floor of the barn and the apple orchards that lie to the right of it before we do.

In the barn, Klayman II and Al Hill III make it to the foot of the stairs to the second floor, and take a deep breath. On three. One…two…three…

Klayman II goes barging up the stairs, spins…

Empty! Damn it. Where are they? Al Hill III follows him up to the second floor, where the two of them will set up observational positions overlooking the back half of the battlefield.

To the right of the barn, CTHomer and Astott continue their treacherous advance through the apple orchards there, but encounter no enemies as they reach the midpoint. Our troops wait while these men continue their search.

Suddenly, our tank spots a Floater cutting through a hole in the hedge wall at the far end of the apple orchard behind the barn! Al Hill III, on the second floor, picks up the movement a second later, and opens fire with his Heavy Plasma. Streaks of plasma tear down into the orchard, and one of them catches the Floater in the left elbow, blowing its arm off at the socket! The Floater turns to flee, but 3ric III steps through an opening in the hedge wall of the orchard to the left of the barn, and has a clear shot. He opens fire and drills the Floater in the back! It screams and falls to the ground! X-COM 1, Aliens 0!

Things go quiet again, and CTHomer and Astott continue their search to the right of the barn. As CT Homer reaches the far end of the first orchard, he can make out some wooden shacks at the back of the second one. Damn. A perfect hiding place for aliens. This is a job for our Blaster Launcher! Render II plots a course of fire using his HUD, and pulls the trigger. The guided rocket sears up over the Skyranger, flies around the barn and over the orchards, then drops to ground level before slamming into the shanties. Ka-blaaaam! The shanties go up in a deafening roar of fire and smoke and wood.

Within a minute or so, things begin to clear well enough that CTHomer and Astott can see that there are no longer any shanties to give us troubles. We hear no screams, so we’ll guess that they were empty of aliens. The two men then clear the last few meters of previously unsecured terrain, and our searches are finished. We can now make a final push on the UFO.

Our tank swings left and into the field near the UFO, about 40 yards away from the craft. Anxiety comes through a hole in the hedge wall and takes up a position behind it. We can now see the entire battlefield, and everything except the UFO is clear of aliens. Time for the final assault. Anxiety, CTHomer, Sachmo II, and Astott will do the honors. Everyone else will provide cover.

The four men collect behind the tank, and altogether they begin a slow advance across the open field that leads to the craft. The exit on the craft lies on the left side of the craft as we advance, so Chief Rum II and Kodos have great shots at it while the tank moves into position. Our aim is to set up our tank outside the door and wait. If we get bored, we’ll go in after them.

As the tank advances, Anxiety tosses a grenade to clear the low hedge wall that stands in the way. The grenade blows enough of the hedge away that we can get the tank nice and close to the craft. Within a couple of minutes, Anxiety and CTHomer are set up behind our tank, about ten yards to the side of the door, and have their weapons trained on the door. Astott and Sachmo II are beside the UFO’s near wall, waiting to charge inside. Once there, we wait.

And wait…

And wait…

The door slides open! Out comes a Floater! Anxiety and CTHomer open fire, cutting the creature in half! Another one is hot on the first one’s heels, but once again, our men chop it up just as it comes into sight. Then another! With plasma rifles’ smoking, Anxiety and CTHomer rip into this next alien. It drops almost immediately on top of its two fallen comrades. Our men wait for more, but that is all. It is over. X-COM 4, Aliens 0.

Thirty minutes of fighting for ten seconds of action. Man, that was quick.

Wrap-up

Promotions: Render II, Sergeant.
Kills: 3ric III, 1; Anxiety, 1; CTHomer, 2.
KIA: None.
Wounded: None.
Attribute Improvements: 3ric III, Anxiety, CTHomer, Al Hill III.
Final score: 118!
Mission Notes:
Good mission. Very patient and professional job, men. Good tune up for the next one.

Go FOF X-COM!

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 07-31-2003 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:55 PM   #164
3ric
College Starter

Woot! A kill! A perfect mission!

*High fives everybody in the skyranger*

Great job, GB!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:00 PM   #165
RealDeal
High School Varsity

It wouldn't be a proper mission without RealDeal Alhill getting sent to the damn barn. Stupid barn.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:09 PM   #166
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Update

September 2, 14:04PM

The EU COM Skyranger returns to base, and almost immediately, service crews swarm the craft to get it ready to relaunch. The world is quiet of UFO activity, and X-COM II begins the maneuvers leading to its second alien base assault.

Posted on the walls of the three bases are the names of the four agents selected for the scouting mission:

Naiwf, Coffee Warlord II, Chief Rum II, Sachmo II, Render II

Render II is the back-up, and will not enter the base, unless absolutely necessary.

Naiwf and Coffee Warlord II are currently on their way to EU COM via the red eye, and should land before dawn. Al Hill III and The Time are now on their way to USA COM to replace them there.

As soon as Naiwf and Coffee Warlord land, we launch the scouting mission for the enemy base.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:30 PM   #167
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz
Thirty minutes of fighting for ten seconds of action. Man, that was quick.

Sounds like Coffee Warlord's last date.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:42 PM   #168
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Look at all these II's after people's names..

BUT NOT MINE!

The next version of DVH will be a DVH/Winonia Rider colloberation... She.. pardon the pun.. stole my heart.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:48 PM   #169
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by DataKing
Sounds like Coffee Warlord's last date.

Better than 90 minutes of foreplay for no return...much like DK's every date.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:17 PM   #170
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

He he. At least you guys have dates. It could be worse; you could be Shorty.

Time for a quick poll...

If both the German base and the British base are controlled by Sectoids, which base do you think we should attack?

Go here if you'd like to vote!

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 07-31-2003 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:16 PM   #171
RealDeal
High School Varsity

Why I am going to US COM? I just got to EU COM.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:04 PM   #172
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I do believe that I have a kill.

RAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!!!!

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:50 AM   #173
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I suppose this is a bad time to mention Coffee Warlord is blind as a bat?

"My god, this alien base is infested with...BLURRY ALIENS! RUN!"
Old 08-01-2003, 03:54 PM   #174
Japherwaki
n00b

I think everyone will be happy that there will be no Japherwaki to "help" with this alien base assault.

By the way, when we move from one thread to another, could somebody post a link at the end to the new thread? I missed out on about two weeks of action because I didn't know the thread had moved. I just don't check the dynasty boards as often as I used to. I'm just glad I didn't get dropped from the on-call list this time.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:29 PM   #175
NAIWF
College Prospect

I'm screwed. I only volunteered because I thought I would play the background support role, not the front man. Just in case, put NAIWF Jr. on call
NAIWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 11:32 PM   #176
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Al: I want to keep an equal number of agents at all the bases, and so I'll shuffle people around as we get ready for the attack on the alien base. Don't worry, you'll be back, and you've already made it to the US base, so you won't miss any action there. The reason it took so long last time is that the aliens attacked right after you left, and we had three battles in the 12 hours of game time that you were airborne. Normally 12 hours of game time goes really fast.

Anxiety: Not a bad first mission at all!

Coffee: Don't worry, we'll give you Cam's eyeballs. If we can find them.

Naiwf: Don't worry. I mean, how bad could it be? You're only walking alone into the heart of an enemy controlled base. Piece of cake. Just like Yugoslavia. You zip in. You zip out.

Japerwaki: Good idea on the link at the end of the old thread. I'll go do that now. Glad to have you back!

Still looking good for Sunday night's recon mission. Let's hope it'll be uneventful!
Old 08-02-2003, 11:16 PM   #177
AStott
Mascot

AStott finally breaks his self imposed vow of silence.

"Ok, enough with this hanging around in the back and letting everyone else get all the kills. Me and my modified plasma rifle are ready to get back in the thick of things!"

---------

Man, been a while since I've checked apparently. 5 kill mission... a promotion... wow. Time to get moving again though. People are catching up to me on the kill board...
AStott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:38 AM   #178
tucker342
Pro Starter

Good luck everyone that's on the recon mission....
Old 08-03-2003, 08:46 PM   #179
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

58th Mission: German Base Infiltration!

The EU COM Skyranger races through the night sky, just above treetop level. Our scout team waits the landing bay, each man reviewing the mission goals: positively identify the type of alien in the base; avoid fighting if possible; do not jeopardize your life or the lives of fellow agents; only engage the enemy if success is certain.

The following men are aboard:
1. Chief Rum II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
2. Render II (Blaster Launcher, Laser Pistol, Power Suit)
3. Coffee Warlord II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
4. Sachmo II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)
5. Naiwf II (Heavy Plasma, Power Suit)

After a few more minutes, the Skyranger slows to a crawl, skimming over a low field at just above ground level. Capn Morgan puts the craft down, and pops open the exit bay. The rear bay of the craft opens and the scout team piles out into the moonlit field. Chief Rum II pops out his GPS, looks at it for a moment, then signals the team to head north-northwest at a trot. Within five minutes the team reaches the air vents to the subterranean base. Six minutes later, the grate is open, the repelling ropes set, and the team begins to descend. Two minutes later the five men are positioned on top of the main vent of the base. Once there, Sachmo II and Coffee Warlord II head north along the vent, while Render II, Chief Rum II, and Naiwf head south. In less than a minute, both teams arrive over supply rooms and cut their way through the final grating. They drop into the base simultaneously.

The men take up positions in the supply rooms, and get ready to drop down the grav-lifts to the main floor of the base. Sachmo II gives Coffee Warlord II the thumbs up, and steps into the lift. He drops to the main floor…

Nothing. He is standing in an open room, with corridors running out of the room on all four sides. He spins to check as much of the four corridors as he can see from here…

Still nothing. He takes a few tentative steps into the base, then turns around and heads back up the grav-lift to wait the results of the south team’s movement.

Back in the other supply room, Chief Rum II gets word of Sachmo’s search, and gives Naiwf the signal, while Render sets up the blaster launcher. Naiwf drops enters the grav-lift and drops to the main floor…

Nothing! Naiwf is standing in a similar room, and there are corridors running out from the north and east sides. This must be the southwest corner of the base. With only two possible avenues of attack, Chief Rum II enters the lift and drops down beside Naiwf. Each man covers one of the exits.

From the HUD readings, Sachmo II estimates that Coffee Warlord and he are only about 40 yards north of Chief Rum’s team, which should mean that the north and east corridors are the only two to worry about: the south corridor leads to Chief Rum’s team, and the west corridor should lead nowhere, as we are on the west edge of the base. With that, Coffee Warlord II and Chief Rum II drop into the base, and set up positions guarding the two possible lanes of alien approach.

The men wait…

Coffee Warlord hears footsteps!

The men slip their fingers into their triggers…

Sectoid, coming down the angular east corridor towards Coffee Warlord’s position! Coffee alerts the team, just as the Sectoid ducks back out of sight.

Scramble, scramble, scramble! Chief Rum II orders everyone out of the base immediately. Coffee and Sachmo pull back to the lift, and within a minute, they are out of the upper supply room and working their way down the vent shaft. Chief and Naiwf pull back to their grav-lifts, and with Render II, exit through the grate in the top of the supply room.

Both teams meet at the long, vertical air vent, and begin to climb up. Fifteen minutes later, the team is safely inside the Skyranger, and heading towards EU COM.

Outstanding job, men!

Sectoids, though. Damn. Always Sectoids. I hate Sectoids.

Wrap-up

Promotions: None.
Kills: None.
KIA: None.
Wounded: None.
Attribute Improvements: None.
Final score: 0.
Mission Notes:
Very well done, men!

Go FOF X-COM!
Old 08-03-2003, 08:58 PM   #180
NAIWF
College Prospect

I'm happy to see we didn't lose anyone, but was hoping for a kill or two
Old 08-03-2003, 09:14 PM   #181
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Can I wear my special Sectoid mind repelling charm for the assault? Please?
Old 08-03-2003, 11:52 PM   #182
Kodos
Resident Alien

Damn Sectoids. I hate these guys...
Old 08-04-2003, 12:51 AM   #183
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I bet those Sectoids play NFL 2k3
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 04:02 AM   #184
klayman
College Benchwarmer

To quote X-com Jones: "Sectoids! Why did it have to be Sectoids?"
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 04:20 AM   #185
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
I bet those Sectoids play NFL 2k3

You think one Sectoid zaps the other with a psi attack when the other one throws a bomb to his receiver?

That's right. The cheating Sectoid. Think about it.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:35 PM   #186
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
To quote X-com Jones: "Sectoids! Why did it have to be Sectoids?"

Did you catch that my "I hate these guys" was an Indiana Jones reference, or was it just coincidence that we both went for Indy quotes? (He says it about Nazis.)
Old 08-04-2003, 06:27 PM   #187
tucker342
Pro Starter

Damn Sectoids!!!!!
Old 08-04-2003, 08:05 PM   #188
Swaggs
Coordinator

This is an awesome dynasty. I can't wait to get in there and accidentally shoot Rumbo in the foot.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:43 PM   #189
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Man, I've been solid in my missions so far. Notched a kill every time out (I think) and haven't gone crazy or shot anyone yet.

"excellent"
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:06 PM   #190
tucker342
Pro Starter

Are Recon missions played out the same way as normal missions?
Old 08-05-2003, 09:58 AM   #191
Lokugh
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342
Are Recon missions played out the same way as normal missions?

Yes. The purpose is to get in, get a look at the type of alien in the base and then run like heck without fighting. The idea being that the type of alien in the base does not change once you know. The hope being that it is some alien that does not do the PSI thing...

Lokugh
Lokugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:40 PM   #192
Katon
College Benchwarmer

If we're still waiting for people to answer the phone, I'm available.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:45 PM   #193
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Update

September 3, 08:00

We begin the delicate yet critical shifting of agents into and out of EU COM to prepare for the assault on the German base. We don't want to leave any base too undefended, so we shift agents in pairs. We are still waiting for the transit agents to make it to base (it takes 72 hours to get to base, and we've had four UFO attacks in the subsequent 48 hours, so there still is more time to go!), and will make final Strike Force decisions soon, but so far, we have ten of the fourteen men selected:

Kodos
Wade Moore
Airhog
Patman II
Blade 6119 III
Chief Rum II
Sachmo II
Coffee Warlord III
Jfbbis
Tasan

We'll select the final four agents once we get a look at some of our rookies on the planes coming in.

Lots of transfer notices go out, and agents get shifted all over the place.

September 3, 23:00 hours

Right in the middle of all our juggling...

UFO spotted! ASIA COM picks up a medium UFO that has landed in northern Japan, on the island of Hokkaido.

Unfortunately, ASIA COM's new tank is still 48 hours away, so we're without armor support.

Also, Naiwf and Astott got on the wrong plane as they were transferring out of Europe to ASIA COM, and they ended up at our South America base instead! Yikes! Come on, guys, this is a war, and you're professionals! Getting on the wrong plane? Ye gads! Who's in charge of hiring around here?

What all this means is that we are down to nine men at ASIA COM when the UFO lands. We've got a rookie, Data King III, who's only 8 hours away from the base, but that won't give us enough time to make it to Japan and strike at dawn, before the UFO takes off. We decide to launch with what we've got, and the following nine men scramble to the Skyranger and head off into the night sky:

BYU, Achilles, Danny Van Halen, Qwikshot II, Sublime II, Travis II, Rawisdan, Klayman II, Split Personality III.

Good luck, men. You'll need it, as you are one man short and without armor support against a rather large UFO. And not to get anyone worried, but we might want to dub this grouping of agents "The Chicken Patrol", as six of the nine agents have a bravery of 20 or less. Yikes. Let's hope they don't suffer any casualties and start to break! The highest ranking agent on board is Sergeant BYU. He's the Chicken Meister for this mission.

_____

I've got to leave town for a couple of days tomorrow morning, so there is a chance this mission won't get up this Sunday. I'd say it's 50-50. I'll do my best.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:50 PM   #194
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz
Coffee Warlord III

CW...3? Um, GB? Do you know something I don't?
Old 08-05-2003, 04:53 PM   #195
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Katon: Got it! You're on your way to base! Welcome!

Lokugh: Thanks for picking up that answer!

Swaggs: Thanks! Between the upcoming Chicken Patrol, and the attack on the enemy base, we should be looking for new agents, um, real soon.

Chief Rum: The cheating Sectoid? I wonder if they play Poker? How could they bluff?

Coffee: That's right, you cracked once, didn't you? Yikes. Men, keep Coffee in front of you in the base assault.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:58 PM   #196
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee Warlord
CW...3? Um, GB? Do you know something I don't?

Whoops! Ahem. Must have been a typo!

*hopes he didn't jinx Coffee Warlord II*

But really, only one of you has died? For some reason, I feel like you've been dying all over the place.

(There's another sentence I thought I would never write in my lifetime).

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 08-05-2003 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:03 PM   #197
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I came into play fairly later on in the dynasty, actually, was on the waiting list for awhile, won the Coffee Warlord Award, and my boy was a pilot for awhile, till he transferred into the ground pounder corps.

And if you jinx my dear firstborn son, my second born son is going over to the aliens. Kodos, pass the word.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:53 PM   #198
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Did you catch that my "I hate these guys" was an Indiana Jones reference, or was it just coincidence that we both went for Indy quotes? (He says it about Nazis.)

Coincidence...I never read your posts
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:14 PM   #199
NAIWF
College Prospect

How long will it take Astott and me to get back to where we belong? And you really should fire the person that gave us the instructions following the recon mission. We aren't trained in airport directions, we just go blow stuff up and shoot bad guys
Old 08-05-2003, 09:00 PM   #200
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
Coincidence...I never read your posts

shhh, don't let Kodos in on the fact that no one reads his posts. It's a huge inside joke, and he's the only one not in on it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote