Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2003, 09:30 PM   #151
Daimyo
College Starter

So should it be illegal for atheists to marry?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:10 AM   #152
Arbitrary Aardvark
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
As far as Georgia getting it right, there is actually still a law (at least it was the last time I looked it up) on the books indicating that sex out of wedlock was illegal. Whether or not this is ever enforced is another matter, but one wonders why a law that is never enforced would even be allowed to stay on the books...

In Oklahoma they went through the old laws (back in the 70s IIRC) and removed things like the prohbiition on racing steamboats on the Arkansas river.
Arbitrary Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:14 AM   #153
Arbitrary Aardvark
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Goes back to my general feeling about those unwillling to do what is right regardless of the consequences... They sound gutless to me. If they wanted to uphold the law, then uphold and deal with the backlash from the liberals and the likely US SC overturning of the case. If they wanted to strike it down, then strike it down and deal with the backlash from the pissed-off homophobes. It is bad enough when we have wimps in elected positions...

A lot of times unconstitutional laws are enforced, and appeals are made against the initial overturn by appelate courts, for political reasons. In a lot of states, you can get re-elected by being firmly anti-abortion, and it is better for one's political career to spend $20 million of the state's money appealing the overturn of a blatently unconstitutional law than it is to appear "soft" by not fighting the overturn. Fourty years ago you could replace "anti-abortion" by "pro-segregation".
Old 07-01-2003, 09:20 AM   #154
Arbitrary Aardvark
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards
We put up with him the same way you liberals put up with ... a woman who blamed the whole thing on a vast right wing conspiracy, ...

I agree with Molly Ivans. It isn't a vast right wing conspiracy, since conspiracy implies secrecy, and the right wing has been anything but secret about their agenda.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:34 AM   #155
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Frankly, I think racing a steamboat sounds like a heck of a good time.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:39 PM   #156
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by JPhillips
I really hope we don't add a Constitutional Amendment re marriage. I don't think gays should be allowed to marry as that has very specific religious implications, but I do favor a civil union law or something similar. I think we should encourage stability and monogamy in the gay community. A constitutional amendment would be an appalling testament to bigotry and fear. There has to be a better alternative.

For many people, marriage has nothing to do with religion.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote