Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2005, 08:09 PM   #151
Tasan
College Starter

A note on General Grevious's background. This is explored pretty well in the book Labrynth of Evil, the Lucas approved and guided lead-in for RotS. Grevious was a warrior leader of a people who got royally screwed over by the Republic. The Sepretists wanted to recruit him to lead their armys but he didn't want to leave his people. Dooku arranges for a shuttle accident that leaves Grevious little more than a pile of spare parts. Those parts are collected and put into the mechanical body care of the Genosisians, provided he works for the Sepretists. The reason for his weezing is the almost-buttkicking he gets in the final installment of the Clone Wars cartoon care of Mace. I HIGHLY recommend the Clone Wars cartoon, which are actually going to be picked up and expanded on in a 30 minute per episode series starting soon.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:19 PM   #152
Swaggs
Coordinator

By the way, how impressive is it that Christopher Lee (aka Count Dooku) is almost 83 years old? I would have liked to have seen his character explored a bit more, as it seemed as if he may have had some good (although misguided) intentions in Clones.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:24 PM   #153
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
By the way, how impressive is it that Christopher Lee (aka Count Dooku) is almost 83 years old? I would have liked to have seen his character explored a bit more, as it seemed as if he may have had some good (although misguided) intentions in Clones.
Agreed. He went from a sort of grey character to super evil very quickly in late EP2, and the beginning of this one. That's Lucas' writing for you.

Ok, now a continuity/logic question:

They seperate the twins, and send them off to be raised in secret. Leia is raised Leia Oragana. Why in the world would Luke ever know his real last name? Why wouldn't they have raised him as Luke Lars? I mean, you're practically painting a target on the kids' back.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 05-21-2005 at 09:25 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:29 PM   #154
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
Because it's one of the best Star Wars games to ever be made, and when it game out many considered it to be the best use of the Star Wars brand since the original trilogy.

Seconded.
I'm thinking about firing that bastard up again. Plus there were alot of excellent add-ons for that game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:31 PM   #155
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Also, I love how Bail Organa orders only C3POs memory to be wiped at the end of the movie. That's there strictly for continuity, not to make any sort of logical sense.

Yeah, wipe the protocol droid's memory, but don't touch that droid that's been through a ton of battles and witnessed alllll kinds of extremely important stuff.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:32 PM   #156
timmynausea
College Starter

KOTOR is the reason I got interested in the movies.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:34 PM   #157
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I enjoyed the movie, but Padme should have died much much earlier, cause she killed the dialouge. And the Vader gutteral Nooooooooooooooo was absolutely silly. I think there were probably much better ways that Lucas could tell this story, but in the end its his baby.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:39 PM   #158
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Also, I love how Bail Organa orders only C3POs memory to be wiped at the end of the movie. That's there strictly for continuity, not to make any sort of logical sense.

Yeah, wipe the protocol droid's memory, but don't touch that droid that's been through a ton of battles and witnessed alllll kinds of extremely important stuff.

Ever since Clones came out I have had a friend bitch about how C3PO should have remembered Lukes house on Tantooine in A New Hope. Of course R2 should remember it as well.

Of course he also would tell me that the reason R2 is eccentric in all the movies is because it never had a memory wipe, but he's a bigger Star Wars geek then I am...
Old 05-21-2005, 10:45 PM   #159
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

So where does Captian Kirk fit into all of this?
Old 05-22-2005, 12:20 AM   #160
Anthony
Banned

i like how Lucas handled the outside supplements in regards to fleshing out some of the backstories. where, if you saw the Clone Wars cartoons (i only watched 1 or 2 of them) you got some in-depth info on Grievous, but nothing grandious that you *needed* to see the cartoons for, or for some of the extended universe novels.

The Matrix went about it all wrong. apparently there was some important things shown in the Enter The Matrix game that would have helped explain a lot of things in the 3rd Matrix movie. anytime you make outside research a prerequisite for seeing your movies you're setting yourself up for disaster.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:03 AM   #161
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
I don't get it then. Is that video game part of the story thats in the movies? Or why are people comparing the movies to that video game?

Knights of the Old Republic is set about 4000 years before the events of Episode One.

It actually is one of the best, if not the best SW game out there. The storyling was great and the Sith/Jedi conflict was in full bloom.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:05 PM   #162
Joe
Pro Starter

something else I've been wondering about the movies, someone that knows more could answer for me. How is Leia a princess? I know Padme was the queen, but then she became a senator and no longer a queen. Leia was adopted by Bail Organa, but he was a senator too I thought?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:12 PM   #163
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
something else I've been wondering about the movies, someone that knows more could answer for me. How is Leia a princess? I know Padme was the queen, but then she became a senator and no longer a queen. Leia was adopted by Bail Organa, but he was a senator too I thought?

The political titles in these movies are always strange. "Queen" Padme was elected, and had term limits? How exactly was Dukoo a "Duke?" Don't try to figure it out. It is not worth it.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:15 PM   #164
Joe
Pro Starter

lol
Old 05-22-2005, 05:03 PM   #165
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
George Lucas' final "Star Wars" movie scored the second-best three-day weekend of all time on Sunday, but the Force was not strong enough to prevent overall ticket sales in North America from posting a year-on-year-decline for the 13th consecutive weekend.

"Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" sold an estimated $108.5 million worth of tickets for the Friday-to-Sunday period, taking its total to $158.5 million since it opened after midnight on Thursday.

Its four-day haul sets a new record, surpassing the $134.3 million tally of 2003's "The Matrix Reloaded." Its Thursday tally of $50 million also set a one-day record, beating the $44.8 million sum for "Shrek 2" last year.

The three-day weekend record is held by "Spider-Man," which opened to almost $115 million in 2002. "Revenge of the Sith" narrowly pipped "Shrek 2," which opened with $108 million. Rankings could change when final data are issued on Monday.

The new "Star Wars" film easily beat the opening weekends of its two most recent predecessors, all of which were released by Twentieth Century Fox, a unit of News Corp.

"Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones" nabbed $80 million during its first weekend three years ago, while 1999's "Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace" kick-started the 28-year-old franchise with a $64.8 million bow. They ended up with $311 million and $431 million respectively.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:08 PM   #166
General Mike
Pro Starter

I haven't seen episode 3 yet, and probably won't for a while, but if the Jedi couldn't figure out that the enemy was right under their nose for 15 years, then they deserved to die.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #167
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
I haven't seen episode 3 yet, and probably won't for a while, but if the Jedi couldn't figure out that the enemy was right under their nose for 15 years, then they deserved to die.

Underestimate the power of the dark side, you do.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:46 PM   #168
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike

Well, Palpatine did a pretty damn good job of not using any of his force powers EVER until Ep. 3.

If you watch the Clone Wars cartoon, he was completely in human-mode the entire time Greivous kidnapped him.

The dark side isn't clear, and is full of shadows. Which is why the jedi can sense that the darkness near them, but they do not know from which dirrection it emanates from.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:52 PM   #169
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Michael Myers doing an updated 'Spaceballs' is sorely needed.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:24 PM   #170
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Saw it over the weekend. It was the best of the new three, but it still was not a good movie. The dialogue was still pathetic. The acting was wooden and sad for the most part, despite some of the talent (Samuel L. Jackson, Ewan McGregor, etc.). This film, like the others, lacked any real human element. The space battle at the begining was stupid, as was the rest of that. General Greivous sucked. Most of the action scenes were pretty dull. The only humor, for the most part, was stupid slapstick crap.

There were some decent scenes:
1. Seeing Vader's light saber ignite in the room full of kids.
2. The young jedi flying out to save Jimmy Smits.
3. Vader massacaring the separatists.
4. Vader/Obi Wan fight at the end.
5. The Emperor/Yoda fight. It was ok.

Remember, kids, whatever you do never, ever attack a jedi who has the higher ground. Ever.

I'm glad they're over. The last three were simply bad films.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:09 PM   #171
Calis
College Starter

Just got back from seeing it.

Not overly impressed, but the other folks who went with me really liked it.

Agree with most everything Honulu_ said. Horrible dialogue as always, and I don't know how Lucas pulls off having at least semi-talented actors come across so badly, but they're pathetic. I cringed when Samuel L had a line.

Too much CG stuff in my opinion. There's a line there, and this was way over it. Large portions of it were pretty pointless also.

I actually laughed out loud when the Vader Nooo! line came. Classic. Any time Padme and Anakin were together it was painful to watch.

What was up with Grievous hacking up a lung all the time? Was that ever explained?

Anyhow, better than the last two, but not good. It's not something I'll be anxious to see again.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:28 PM   #172
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Darth: I will have the Penne!
Chef: Ok, but you'll need a tray!
Darth: A tray, I need no tray, do you know who I am?
Chef: You know who I am?
Darth: This is not a game of who the F' are you! I am Vadar, I can kill you with a thought!
Chef: You'll still need a tray
Darth: I do not need a tray to kill you, even though I could kill you with a tray. I would hack at your neck with the thin bit, until your blood flows
Chef: No, the food is hot, you need a tray!
Darth: OH! The food is hot! I thought you wanted a fight to the death!
Chef: Fight to the death? I am a chef.I work here
Darth: Everyone challenges me. I run the Death Star
Chef: This is a star?
Darth: This is the Death Star, I run it. I am your boss!
Chef: You're Mr.Stevens?
Darth: Who is Mr.Stevens?
Chef: Head of Catering
Darth: I am not the head of catering! I can kill catering with a thought! Grr, F' it, I'll get a tray.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:37 PM   #173
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
What was up with Grievous hacking up a lung all the time? Was that ever explained?

Yeah, what's the deal with this?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:42 PM   #174
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
Yeah, what's the deal with this?

It was explained earlier in the thread. Apparently you need to have watched the cartoon that exists between ep. 2 and ep 3 to understand it. I hadnt seen it so I wondered too.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:55 PM   #175
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

You can still watch Season 2 of Star Wars: Clone Wars at CartoonNetwork.com

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/promos...ars/index.html
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:05 PM   #176
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2. A New Hope ("Star Wars") and Empire Strikes Back are generally accepted as 1-2 (and personally, I can't see how anyone can dispute that).

*raises hand*

ESB is my #1 (of course) and I have RotS rated just ahead of ANH.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:15 PM   #177
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I rank them as follows

Ep 5, Ep 4, Ep 3, Ep 6, Ep 2, Ep 1
Old 05-22-2005, 11:16 PM   #178
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I enjoyed ALL of them though. I didnt hate any of them, I wish their were changes in all of them, but hell im not a director.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:41 PM   #179
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I enjoyed all of them as well. The final battles push RotS to 2nd for me.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:17 AM   #180
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:

Not to mention involved in War crimes/ atrocities.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:19 AM   #181
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Saw it over the weekend. It was the best of the new three, but it still was not a good movie. The dialogue was still pathetic. The acting was wooden and sad for the most part, despite some of the talent (Samuel L. Jackson, Ewan McGregor, etc.). This film, like the others, lacked any real human element. The space battle at the begining was stupid, as was the rest of that. General Greivous sucked. Most of the action scenes were pretty dull. The only humor, for the most part, was stupid slapstick crap.

There were some decent scenes:
1. Seeing Vader's light saber ignite in the room full of kids.
2. The young jedi flying out to save Jimmy Smits.
3. Vader massacaring the separatists.
4. Vader/Obi Wan fight at the end.
5. The Emperor/Yoda fight. It was ok.

Remember, kids, whatever you do never, ever attack a jedi who has the higher ground. Ever.

I'm glad they're over. The last three were simply bad films.

Dola: No love for Palpatine's revelation during the opera?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:05 AM   #182
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I just say this movie two days ago and I must say I was disappointed the first 3. Out of this crop, it's sad to say that the first one was the best. I don't mind if I have to suspend my reality while watching these films, but the last one was ridiculous. The movies seemed to be made to try to take advantage of merchandising, rather than to tell a good story.

The whole sequence with the dramatic crash landing of a ship with no wings and having lost the back end just bothered me somewhat. I was bothered that C3PO knew of Leia and Luke because it messed with the continuity Episode 4 (why wouldn't he just blurt out that they are related). It bothered me that Chewbacca just happened to know Yoda and we find out in the future that he works with a criminal. It bothered me that Padme went from being a powerful political leader to a whimpering woman and showed no characteristics of the personality that she showed in the first two movies. I didn't like the fact that Palpatine suddenly changed facial features after zapping Mace Windu. Are you telling me he never used that power before? And I still couldn't get over the acting of the guy who would eventually be Darth Vadar. I thought he was the worst choice for the character due to his acting ability alone.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:10 AM   #183
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
I was bothered that C3PO knew of Leia and Luke because it messed with the continuity Episode 4 (why wouldn't he just blurt out that they are related).

They show at the end of the movie how it is ordered for C3PO's memory banks to be erased, so that is why he does not remember them or know about them.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:20 AM   #184
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I just say this movie two days ago and I must say I was disappointed the first 3. Out of this crop, it's sad to say that the first one was the best. I don't mind if I have to suspend my reality while watching these films, but the last one was ridiculous. The movies seemed to be made to try to take advantage of merchandising, rather than to tell a good story.

The whole sequence with the dramatic crash landing of a ship with no wings and having lost the back end just bothered me somewhat. I was bothered that C3PO knew of Leia and Luke because it messed with the continuity Episode 4 (why wouldn't he just blurt out that they are related). It bothered me that Chewbacca just happened to know Yoda and we find out in the future that he works with a criminal. It bothered me that Padme went from being a powerful political leader to a whimpering woman and showed no characteristics of the personality that she showed in the first two movies. I didn't like the fact that Palpatine suddenly changed facial features after zapping Mace Windu. Are you telling me he never used that power before? And I still couldn't get over the acting of the guy who would eventually be Darth Vadar. I thought he was the worst choice for the character due to his acting ability alone.

Just a few little corrections...

1. C 3P0's memory was wiped at the end of the movie, as ordered by Bail Organa so he could not have remembered anything from the first trilogy.

2. Chewbacca was working with a criminal because he owed a life debt to Han Solo who saved his life.

3. Palpatine's face changed because his lightning was being reflected right back at him, slowly killing him.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:24 AM   #185
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
3. Palpatine's face changed because his lightning was being reflected right back at him, slowly killing him.

One of the parts I want to see again, actually. I thought Palpatine was just "playin' 'possum" when he was doing all that, but since no one else has ever said they thought that, i figure I must be wrong.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:37 AM   #186
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
Just a few little corrections...

1. C 3P0's memory was wiped at the end of the movie, as ordered by Bail Organa so he could not have remembered anything from the first trilogy.

2. Chewbacca was working with a criminal because he owed a life debt to Han Solo who saved his life.

Okay the first one I will give you, I must have missed that. Now were both droids ordered to be erased or just one. On the second one, I guess I am more bothered with the fact that they conveniently met one another in the past, so it is apparent that Chewbacca knew Jedis, but doesn't mention this to Han Solo in the future as he is questioning what this Force is all about, because apparently he witnessed quite a bit. Now as far as Palpatine, I don't buy the lightning arguement due to the fact that no one else's features changed when they are zapped by it. If it were so draining to use that freaking power and it doesn't even kill anyone, then why not stick with the freakin light saber.

And one more observation that bothered me was that the other Jedi's can simply be killed by laser blasts and Anakin can't even get killed by molten lava. I know they had to explain how he looked in the future, but that was ridiculous. Maybe I more disappointed with the fact that I saw much less of a story as each movie progressed. I can't even say any of these were better than Return of the Jedi and that's really sad.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:04 AM   #187
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cringer
One of the parts I want to see again, actually. I thought Palpatine was just "playin' 'possum" when he was doing all that, but since no one else has ever said they thought that, i figure I must be wrong.
It was what I was thinking. Palpatine wanted Anakin to turn, so when Anakin enters the room, Palp is all "Please don't hurt me." He wanted to make it look like Mace was going to kill a helpless old man.

I also thought that the way Palp looks in the OT, is his real face. That in the prequels he is using force powers to hide his real looks (Sith are more powerful than Jedi, so maybe they have such power. Also explains the Jedi not sensing him). I say this because in the expanded universe they talk about the dark side corrupting ones looks (like the yellow eyes Anakin gets). Since some of the people here have played KOTOR, then they know the bad guy in the game Darth Malak, is missing a body part. It has been mentioned that Malak loses that part because the dark side deteriorated it and it "fell" off.

Last edited by TazFTW : 05-23-2005 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:16 AM   #188
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

dola

R2D2's memory was not wiped which as mentioned earlier in this thread is why he is a bit "eccentric", which Threepio calls him. The Zahn trilogy also mentions memory wipes, I tend to think it's like us reformating our hard drives, sometimes it just needs to be done so that the HD works more efficiently. R2D2 not having his memory wiped would also explain why he knows where to go when they crash land on Tantoine. Threepio wants to go one way, R2 says civilization is the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister
so it is apparent that Chewbacca knew Jedis, but doesn't mention this to Han Solo in the future as he is questioning what this Force is all about, because apparently he witnessed quite a bit.

Well, technically all Chewy saw was Yoda turning around and slicing two clones. This was brought up on another message board and the reasoning they came up with was that Han wasn't going to listen to Chewy anyway, like a "whatever you big hairy oaf".

As mentioned a couple post above Chewy owes a life debt to Han. Han was an up and coming Imperial officer, the wookiees were enslaved. Han freed Chewbacca, thus the life debt and why Han is no longer an Imperial.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:37 AM   #189
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

dola again.

I have been watching the movies in order (saw Eps. 1, 2, and the Clone Wars cartoon before I went to see ROTS and I just watched ANH). I have to comment about Anakin and Luke in their trilogies. When Attack of the Clones came out, people were complaning about how whiny Anakin is. In ANH, Luke is whiny ("but I wanted to go to Tosche Station to get some power converters", "Biggs and whoever got to leave"), like father, like son.

They also follow their dicks. Anakin turns dark because he doesn't want to see Padme die. Luke gets all hot and bothered when R2 shows Leia's message and then again on the Death Star when he finds out she is there and he convinces Han to go with him.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:58 AM   #190
SackAttack
Head Coach

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, check out http://www.shortpacked.com.

One of the funnier summaries I've seen of Episodes I-III
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:22 AM   #191
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
As mentioned a couple post above Chewy owes a life debt to Han. Han was an up and coming Imperial officer, the wookiees were enslaved. Han freed Chewbacca, thus the life debt and why Han is no longer an Imperial.

BTW, good job by Lucas with this, which I thought going into the movie was jst gratuitous. The Wookies as Jedi smpathizers gives a good explanation for why they were enslaved after the muppet's escape.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:50 AM   #192
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now as far as Palpatine, I don't buy the lightning arguement due to the fact that no one else's features changed when they are zapped by it. If it were so draining to use that freaking power and it doesn't even kill anyone, then why not stick with the freakin light saber.

I think you missed the point. His face didn't change because it was draining him, his face changed because Windu DEFLECTED the lightening back at Palpatine. Though it was all a ruse because when Anakin stepped in, Palpatine didn't miss a beat. It was probably a combination of the electric charge and Palpatine accepting a change in his features to look weak and pitiful.

Quote:
And one more observation that bothered me was that the other Jedi's can simply be killed by laser blasts and Anakin can't even get killed by molten lava. I know they had to explain how he looked in the future, but that was ridiculous.

Actually Anakin wasn't killed by the molten lava, but a stray spark coming out from the lava which ignited him. He suffered great burns, but nothing like falling in molten lava or anything.

And different strokes for different folks, I guess. You hated it, I consider it the second best Star Wars movie (after Empire Strikes Back).
Old 05-23-2005, 07:08 AM   #193
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
I think you missed the point. His face didn't change because it was draining him, his face changed because Windu DEFLECTED the lightening back at Palpatine. Though it was all a ruse because when Anakin stepped in, Palpatine didn't miss a beat. It was probably a combination of the electric charge and Palpatine accepting a change in his features to look weak and pitiful.

Palpatine was always "hiding" his true form throughout the first 2 movies and when he finally used his dark side powers, his true appearence was revealed. Notice that the more he pressed with the lightening, the more disfigured he got. Sure he had it reflected at him, but that cant be the sole reason for being disfigured like that. Luke was hit by a ton of lightening in ROTJ and wasnt disfigured. Plus suddenly being "disfigured" played really well to the senate crowds, and Anakin. Anyways, thats what the novel seems to suggest at least.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:09 AM   #194
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Palpatine was always "hiding" his true form throughout the first 2 movies and when he finally used his dark side powers, his true appearence was revealed. Notice that the more he pressed with the lightening, the more disfigured he got. Sure he had it reflected at him, but that cant be the sole reason for being disfigured like that. Luke was hit by a ton of lightening in ROTJ and wasnt disfigured. Plus suddenly being "disfigured" played really well to the senate crowds, and Anakin. Anyways, thats what the novel seems to suggest at least.

/agree

who knows how old Palps really is/was (I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere) and he did learn the avoiding death skill from his master.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #195
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't know. A lot of this nit-picky stuff didn't bother me. I figured that Palp's face was hidden like most suggested and when he finally releases his Darkside powers his disguise fell away to reveal his "true self."

I also have no issue with Anaki surviving the lava or what not. His hate was amazingly strong in that scene. Since the Darkside is tied to hate, anger, etc., that would be more than enough to keep him alive in that state.

The film had so many other flaws in crucial areas: dialogue and acting chief among them, not to mention some pretty dull action sequences, the nitpicky stuff didn't bother me. It wasn't so much the individual trees that sucked, but the entire forest.

There were a handful of good scenes and the second half was an improvement, but still too many painfully bad, groan and whince inducing moments.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:19 AM   #196
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
/agree

who knows how old Palps really is/was (I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere) and he did learn the avoiding death skill from his master.

Also i meant to add that supposedly you see Palpy slighly disfigure as hes attacking with the lightsabre(using his darkside power). I didnt see it, but will see if i can detect it in a repeat viewing. Its too bad that the true nature/backstory of Sideous is not elaborated on much.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:09 AM   #197
mhass
High School Varsity

$158.3 million gross over the weekend. That's a lot of movie tickets.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:13 AM   #198
Hammer755
High School Varsity

There is really only one continuity error that has bothered me about the prequels. Darth Vader's theme was not introduced until Empire, but it was used quite a bit in the new trilogy.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:31 AM   #199
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
It was what I was thinking. Palpatine wanted Anakin to turn, so when Anakin enters the room, Palp is all "Please don't hurt me." He wanted to make it look like Mace was going to kill a helpless old man.

I also thought that the way Palp looks in the OT, is his real face. That in the prequels he is using force powers to hide his real looks (Sith are more powerful than Jedi, so maybe they have such power. Also explains the Jedi not sensing him). I say this because in the expanded universe they talk about the dark side corrupting ones looks (like the yellow eyes Anakin gets). Since some of the people here have played KOTOR, then they know the bad guy in the game Darth Malak, is missing a body part. It has been mentioned that Malak loses that part because the dark side deteriorated it and it "fell" off.

Actually according to StarWars.com

Malak was a tall human who was horridly injured in a lightsaber duel. A swipe from a laser sword severed his lower jaw, and Malak was forced to wear a metallic jaw guard that hid his disfigurement from view. The guard also included a vocoder, through which Malak spoke with an eerie metallic tone.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:46 AM   #200
MikeVic
Head Coach

Saw it yesterday afternoon. Thought it was alright, but I haven't watched the others in a few years so I might be confused about some stuff.

How long was Padme pregnant? Since the children came out normal, I'd say it was very close to 9 months?

And is travelling in this galaxy done extremely quickly? The Senator gets to Anakin in about 5 minutes once he realized Anakin might be in trouble.

And I find it funny how Vader has those buttons and switches on the outside of his body. What do they do? Is this ever explained?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote