Old 01-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #151
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is anyone else tired of this argument?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:01 PM   #152
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Is anyone else tired of this argument?

Maybe if I could find a link to audio or video of the event, I can make my decision on the matter.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #153
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
There is quite a bit of stupidity involved in this situation, on ALL sides.

fixed.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #154
clintl
College Starter

Just a little update from the Sacramento Bee (print version today) referring to the waiver the contestants signed:

Quote:
Several contestants interviewed by the Bee said they did not read it, but Gina Sherrod said she did. It dealt solely with publicity, not health and safety, she said.

The waiver was not going to protect the station legally anyway, but if there was nothing in the waiver about safety, then the station really is toast. They don't even have a defense of any kind.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #155
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl View Post
Just a little update from the Sacramento Bee (print version today) referring to the waiver the contestants signed:

The waiver was not going to protect the station legally anyway, but if there was nothing in the waiver about safety, then the station really is toast. They don't even have a defense of any kind.

*boom*
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:08 AM   #156
st.cronin
General Manager

By the way, it's a myth that our society is very litigous. In 19th century America for example, the average person was sued more than once in his lifetime. We're not even close to that standard.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:37 AM   #157
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
By the way, it's a myth that our society is very litigous. In 19th century America for example, the average person was sued more than once in his lifetime. We're not even close to that standard.

Cool Then I've met my quota. That is a relief.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:50 AM   #158
stevew
Hall Of Famer

16 mil.
http://www.sacramentopress.com/headl...ento_Negligent

Quote:
After nine days of intense deliberations, a jury of seven men and five women today rendered a verdict against a local Sacramento radio station in the civil trial of William A. Strange et al v. Entercom Sacramento LLC and Entercom Communications Inc. et al. The trial was to determine accountability for the death of Jennifer Strange, who died as a result of a water drinking contest sponsored by Entercom Sacramento's radio station KDND.

By unanimous vote, the jury decided that Entercom Sacramento was negligent in Strange's death; by unanimous vote, they also decided that the parent company, Entercom Communications of Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania was not responsible. By a vote of ten to two, the jury decided that Jennifer Strange did not contribute to her own death.

Economic damages were assessed at $1,477,118. Non-economic damages were assessed at $15,100,000.

Jurors said finding Entercom Sacramento negligent was a relatively simple decision, mostly because Entercom on-air employees ignored phone calls warning them of the dangers of the contest. They said they believed it was the responsibility of Entercom Sacramento to vet the contest with the parent company's legal department, which employees failed to do.

However, jurors reported that they were sharply divided over other issues in the case. They said no one thought Jennifer was 100 percent responsible for her death, but that two jurors thought she shared some responsibility. As only nine jurors had to agree to render a verdict, that issue was quickly decided. Deciding non-economic damages proved much more difficult, and took days of deliberations. According to juror LaTeshia Paggett, some jurors thought that criteria they'd been instructed to consider for compensation like love, companionship, and moral guidance were invaluable, and as such, the family should receive zero compensation for those areas. She said other jurors disagreed sharply and felt the compensation should have been as high as $48 million dollars. In the end, according to juror Tammy Elliott, the jury agreed to averaging the dollar amount each juror felt appropriate. "Each juror's number was weighted equally," Elliott said.

According to Entercom's annual report, Entercom Communications reports a 2008 revenue of $439 million; Sacramento is one of their more profitable markets.

The FCC is still investigating the incident.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #159
molson
General Manager

Entercom should help out the family, but I never understood massive civil awards like this.

It must be so strange. Your family member is dead, but now you're a multi-millionare. Sure, you'd rather have the family member back (in most instances), but why do you deserve or need all that money? What is the connection between the money and a bunch of people acting like idiots one sad morning.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #160
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Entercom should help out the family, but I never understood massive civil awards like this.

It must be so strange. Your family member is dead, but now you're a multi-millionare. Sure, you'd rather have the family member back (in most instances), but why do you deserve or need all that money? What is the connection between the money and a bunch of people acting like idiots one sad morning.

I find it difficult to understand as well... but I guess it all boils down to how the jury is able quantify the loss of a loved one?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #161
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

You want to hurt the people responsible in some way is the best I can imagine.

Did they force the water down her throat or merely encourage her to do so herself, which she then did? I do not understand the conclusion that she did not contribute to her own death.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #162
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I do not understand the conclusion that she did not contribute to her own death.

That's simple, she was a halfwit taken advantage of by an evil corporation and they must be punished.

edit to add: That's probably too wordy. I could have stopped with "the accused was a corporation", the rest just flowed naturally.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-30-2009 at 09:56 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #163
larrymcg421
Head Coach

If it was alchohol intoxication or something like that, then they'd vote that she was responsible, but the water intoxication is not something that most people would expect to kill you. I certainly didn't know about it until I read the story.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #164
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That award will be seriously reduced on appeal. They almost always are.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #165
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That's simple, she was a halfwit taken advantage of by an evil corporation and they must be punished.

edit to add: That's probably too wordy. I could have stopped with "the accused was a corporation", the rest just flowed naturally.

I actually understand holding them responsible somewhat. But to say she made NO contribution to her own death is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
If it was alchohol intoxication or something like that, then they'd vote that she was responsible, but the water intoxication is not something that most people would expect to kill you. I certainly didn't know about it until I read the story.

But SHE did something dangerous, on the advice of two disc jockeys. SHE made the decision to do that, not them.

By willfully pouring the water down her own throat, she contributed to her own death. I don't even see how the opposite conclusion is reached.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #166
RedKingGold
College Starter

Money is the best we can do when someone screws up.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #167
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I find it difficult to understand as well... but I guess it all boils down to how the jury is able quantify the loss of a loved one?

It was a civil trial, so jail time for those held responsible was not an option. What's the next best punishment? Hitting those responsible in the pocketbook. I seriously doubt the family went into this trial with the goal of getting rich - they were most likely primarily motivated to punish the radio station and let the verdict serve as a warning to others that consider holding what could be dangerous contests.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #168
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
It was a civil trial, so jail time for those held responsible was not an option. What's the next best punishment? Hitting those responsible in the pocketbook. I seriously doubt the family went into this trial with the goal of getting rich - they were most likely primarily motivated to punish the radio station and let the verdict serve as a warning to others that consider holding what could be dangerous contests.

It's an interesting situation when comparing awards for court cases. My mother-in-law became ill becaue of a drug that had deadly side effects. The company set aside a fund for lawsuit settlements. The award pool was divided up based on impact on life. My mother-in-law was one of the worst situations that lived, so she received $6M. However, much of that money was consumed in caring for her over the 8 years that she lived afterwards. So it's not like we benefitted all that much. The award just kept us from having to pay out of our own bank account for someone else's negligence.

The people who had relatives that died received more than $6M. Granted, they were instant multi-millionaires, but I'd guess that every one of them would give it back to have their loved ones back. In the end, the large settlements were done because they had to do so and the victims had little choice but to take what was given or fight a legal fight for years and years.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #169
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Granted, they were instant multi-millionaires, but I'd guess that every one of them would give it back to have their loved ones back.

Probably, but on the other hand, if I had a family, and I could die of water intoxication and have my family set for life for generations, I'd do it.

It's just weird. Do these people move to Malibu, buy yachts, have butlers? How can they accept such a lifestyle knowing that it came from the death of their relative?

If we feel we must punish someone when someone dies as the result of negligence, OK, but how does it follow that the family of the victim needs to grossly profit? If a corporation is truly negligent and causes a death, maybe the punitive damages should go to the court/state so it can better compensate actual economic losses of other victims that so often go unfulfilled.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #170
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Probably, but on the other hand, if I had a family, and I could die of water intoxication and have my family set for life for generations, I'd do it.

It's just weird. Do these people move to Malibu, buy yachts, have butlers? How can they accept such a lifestyle knowing that it came from the death of their relative?

If we feel we must punish someone when someone dies as the result of negligence, OK, but how does it follow that the family of the victim needs to grossly profit? If a corporation is truly negligent and causes a death, maybe the punitive damages should go to the court/state so it can better compensate actual economic losses of other victims that so often go unfulfilled.

That's dangerous, because then the state has a vested interest in the plaintiff winning. We've all seen small cities that need the funding from speeding tickets so they jack a speed limit down a bunch, set up a trap, and then don't catch locals they know. They have a vested interest. I don;t want to see what a state that was able to secure millions and millions each year would do.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #171
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
That's dangerous, because then the state has a vested interest in the plaintiff winning. We've all seen small cities that need the funding from speeding tickets so they jack a speed limit down a bunch, set up a trap, and then don't catch locals they know. They have a vested interest. I don;t want to see what a state that was able to secure millions and millions each year would do.

Good point. I guess I would envision punitive damages going into a restitution/unpaid civil judgment fund, that would distribute it to legitimate victims of crime and negligence that have gone uncompenstated for their actual losses.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #172
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me if many of those families end up giving away that money to charities or set up foundations and organizations to publicize whatever negligence it was that killed/harmed their loved ones to try to prevent it from happening again.

I'm not going to say that some of them don't embrace a new luxurious lifestyle, but I doubt it's a majority.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #173
sabotai
General Manager

Is money awarded to someone through a lawsuit treated as income? Or do they get the whole thing tax-free?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #174
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't really like how they averaged everyone's idea of punitive damages to come up with the award. The economic damages are probably as simple as calculating her income over remaining earning years factoring for inflating.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote