Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #151
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I think it'll be better for me to fill myself up with Jack Daniels this weekend than my car with gas.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #152
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
I think it'll be better for me to fill myself up with Jack Daniels this weekend than my car with gas.

See- why can't everyone follow his example to conserve

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #153
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Moriarty: Very well said.

flere, yes, it goes back before the previous adminstration (even though that didn't help) and back to 30-35 years.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #154
Buccaneer
Head Coach

By the way, no change in prices or supplies today. Still plenty at $2.79.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #155
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
By the way, no change in prices or supplies today. Still plenty at $2.79.

From what I understand, people west of the Mississippi who are seeing their gas skyrocket are getting hosed. There is NO supply problem for people west of the Mississippi.

The problem (as explained to me by Mr. Gilligan, who it goes without saying represents only one side of the issue) is that what we're paying at the pump right now is based almost solely on the price of gasoline futures.

Now I'm not sure how it used to work, but it does seem kind of odd that the standard we're using at the pump is based almost entirely on speculation.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:00 PM   #156
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Someone at work Monday said I should fill up because prices were probably going to rise on Tuesday. So I filled up with regular at 2.59/gal Monday night. Tuesday prices were up to 2.79/gal. Wednesday 2.99/gal. All three were at the same gas station on my way home from work. They are out of regular now.

Same gas station, $3.39 today for regular
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #157
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
From what I understand, people west of the Mississippi who are seeing their gas skyrocket are getting hosed. There is NO supply problem for people west of the Mississippi.

The problem (as explained to me by Mr. Gilligan, who it goes without saying represents only one side of the issue) is that what we're paying at the pump right now is based almost solely on the price of gasoline futures.

Now I'm not sure how it used to work, but it does seem kind of odd that the standard we're using at the pump is based almost entirely on speculation.

That is what bugs me with the price I pay at the pump here way up north in Quebec City. I mean, the gas I'm buying was in the tank yesterday and there's a refinery in the area... Shrug...

FM
Old 09-01-2005, 09:16 PM   #158
fjvieane
Mascot

In California where *I live all the stations were at $2.99 today for the regular unleaded 87, we have 5 stations (3 being Chevron) lol.

*oops didn't mean to speak for all of California

Last edited by fjvieane : 09-02-2005 at 11:14 AM.
fjvieane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #159
johneh
Mascot

$3.19 in Akron.

Read an article in the paper today where they were interviewing some people @ gas stations. One idiot filling up his gas hog truck and they asked him "it's 10 cents cheaper across the street, why are you buying it here?".. his answer "I didn't think to look"... Then some foool filling up his Caddy and they ask him the same question and he says.. "I'm buying it here because they have a reward card and I get money back" - umm dude you are spending $2 more to get back 25 cents? These 2 idiots are part of the reason gas is so high.

Last edited by johneh : 09-02-2005 at 02:29 PM.
johneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #160
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The Caddy has a 100 gallon tank?!?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #161
clintl
College Starter

$2.959 this afternoon at the Chevron station here in Davis where I filled up.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:53 PM   #162
jshipman2
Banned

$3.09 here in Pittsburg, KS
jshipman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:09 PM   #163
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

$4.30 US/Gallon here in St. John's Newfoundland as of 6 AM tomorrow morning... everyone expects it to get to at least $4.80 US/Gallon before Christmas.

And the thing is we have regulated gas prices, meaning gas stations can't raise prices whenever they want... the Petro Pricing Board regulates the price and raises or lowers it, so that the prices don't go out of control. As of right now the prices are ~ $4.15 - $4.20 US/Gallon... and that equals to the lowest gas prices in Atlantic Canada, and we live on an island. Without regulation we'd surly be at the $4.50 mark by now...
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #164
JeeberD
General Manager

Still at $2.85 at Walmart across the street but the RaceTrac down the road is up to $2.99 and Exxon is $2.96...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:22 PM   #165
Lorena
Unregistered

$2.99 here in Phoenix. I'm lucky I filled 'er up last week when it was $2.63
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:23 PM   #166
wahoomac
Mascot

Yesterday in Gainesville FL I saw prices for gas at a Chevron going up to $2.75/$2.85/$2.95. Today at the same gas station, I saw them putting up the new prices: $2.89/$2.99/$3.09

Now I thought that the gasoline sold was by the tanker truck (i.e., the prices weren't to change until a new tanker truck filled up the station, as the gasoline was already paid for at the current price). Now I don't know whether a tanker truck filled the station up during the 24 hours, may have, but I was still a bit shocked by the rapid changes.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:34 PM   #167
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

As the reports are told, every place in the Chicago area is now at 3+ for gas.

edit: And it's just sick how some places are *so* much fucking more. You can literally drive 1 block down the road, and see a 3.09, and then see a 3.39

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-01-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #168
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Drive to Burger King at 4:30pm today, see gas at $3.40 or so for 87, and there is a line almost to the road (at a Hess station). Drive back at 5:30pm or so (to fix the fucked up order), and see it for $2.75 for 87, with no one in the station.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:58 PM   #169
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneh
$3.19 in Akron.

Read an article in the paper today where they were interviewing some people @ gas stations. One idiot filling up his gas hog truck and they asked him "it's 10 cents cheaper across the street, why are you buying it here?".. his answer "I didn't think to look"... Then some foool filling up his Caddy and they ask him the same question and he says.. "I'm buying it here because they have a reward card and I get money back" - umm dude you are spending $10 more to get back 25 cents? These 2 idiots are part of the reason gas is so high.

Ummm... where do you get that $10 figure from? If it's 10 cents more, that's probably closer to $1-2 for filling up. To me, that amount or less is the point where I am willing to pay extra if it means saving myself a left turn into busy traffic.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #170
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Dola -- to defend myself from the dumb comments that may follow my post...

Let's look at this analytically (though my motives aren't necessarily totally economic):

I'm going to make some very rough estimates, BUT say the chances of an accident (whose mean cost is $1,000) when turning left into busy traffic is 1/1,000, and the chances of an identical accident with a right-hand turn is 1/10,000. This means each left-hand turn is costing me $1, and each right-hand turn $0.10. So that means from an accident point of view, each fill-up at a station that requires a left-hand turn costs me $0.90 -- with my average fill-up of 9 gallons with my Civic, that justifies a $0.10 per gallon higher cost!

This doesn't even factor in loss-of-life, etc.

Not saying my logic is bulletproof, but the numbers are very rough and one could argue on the conservative side of things.

~rpi-fan
Old 09-01-2005, 11:33 PM   #171
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshipman2
$3.09 here in Pittsburg, KS

Cool. You live in Pittsburg? A friend of mine is from there- he went to school at KU but is now in grad school.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:21 AM   #172
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Pretty steady at $2.65 for about the last month...$3.10 today and I heard it was $3.50 in another part of town. Wild. Did anyone think this would happen in their lifetimes? I mean, before the shit in the middle east happened a few years ago/today? I remember watching gas prices as a kid. Gas was around a dollar and I'd watch mesmerized as the price and the # of gallons were virtually even. Those days are long gone
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:50 AM   #173
sabotai
General Manager

Gas prices were over $3 a gallon (just over $3 a gallon for reg.) today. $2.99 at my local gas station (locally owned). All other gas stations were over $3.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:00 AM   #174
vex
Grizzled Veteran

This reminds me of the Sliders episode where gas was like $2,000 a gallon.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:27 AM   #175
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

It's $ 3.10 for premium here in Henderson as of 1830 today when I filled up.
For 87 Regular, it's $ 2.85.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:01 AM   #176
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I saw gas prices shoot up to at or near $3 from ohio to home over the last few days. Diesel, interesting enough, has not gone up as much. I am surprised by this because we were getting messages from our dispatch as they talked daily with the diesel vendors (a.k.a. truck stops). They told our dispatch to expect shortages, so our dispatch opened us up to be bale to buy fuel anywhere (normally we have only certian places because of deals they strike for an extra 1-2 cents off per gallon).

Then yesterday they gave us the good news, we can burn red-dye diesel for the next two weeks, and truck stops may have that during this time so we shouldn't be surprised. (red-dye diesel is less refined diesel, has more sulfur so it pollutes more and is usually for only farm equipment I believe). I think this is a bit ironic, since in January the levels of sulfur in diesel are required to drop once again.....
Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 AM   #177
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
Pretty steady at $2.65 for about the last month...$3.10 today and I heard it was $3.50 in another part of town. Wild. Did anyone think this would happen in their lifetimes? I mean, before the shit in the middle east happened a few years ago/today? I remember watching gas prices as a kid. Gas was around a dollar and I'd watch mesmerized as the price and the # of gallons were virtually even. Those days are long gone

Sure. Adjusted for inflation, gas prices have been ridiculously low since 1980.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:41 AM   #178
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Sure. Adjusted for inflation, gas prices have been ridiculously low since 1980.

I can still remember the gas lines in the 70's with the oil issues/combined with inflationary issues. I really think this will be a short term occurance, and gas prices will fall again. It's all supply and demand, and right now the supply is cut (until we get the refineries running again) but the demand hasn't lasped.

The amount of known oil reserves is expected to keep up with rising demands for the next 50 years. And 50 years is probably understated because a) companies conservatively state their reserve amounts to meet shareholder expectations, b) oil recovery efficiencies increase with technology , and c) more reserves are likely to be found. So assuming refinery capabilities are constant (and honestly they should get more efficient with new technology as well) the long term prospects for gas prices in the US is fairly stable barring major wars / catastrophes.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #179
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I passed 5 stations that were empty on the way home from work yesterday. 3 of the 5 stations near my home were empty after sunset yesterday.

I'm finally being allowed to telecommute to work again, despite current management seemingly hating the idea.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:40 AM   #180
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from AJC.com
Perdue suspends state gasoline taxes
Move could cut pump prices as much as 15 cents

By JIM GALLOWAY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 09/02/05

Georgia fuel prices could drop by as much as 15 cents as of midnight.

Gov. Sonny Perdue announced today a suspension of the state motor fuel tax through the end of September. The moratorium, which affects all fuels, goes into effect at midnight tonight.
On a $3 gallon of gas, 15 cents would be saved by suspending the taxes.

"My purpose in temporarily suspending fuel tax collection is to relieve some of the financial burden placed on Georgians by disruptions of our fuel supply resulting from the effects of Hurricane Katrina," Perdue said at a noon press conference at the state Capitol. "I fully considered the fiscal implications. This moratorium will have no negative effect on the state budget."

Although the governor can authorize the waiver immediately, it must be ratified by state lawmakers. Perdue said the Legislature will meet in special session next Tuesday through Saturday.

The taxes waived are the prepaid 7.5 cent excise tax collected on each gallon of fuel and a 4 percent sales tax on each dollar's worth of fuel sold, Perdue said.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #181
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA

The taxes waived are the prepaid 7.5 cent excise tax collected on each gallon of fuel and a 4 percent sales tax on each dollar's worth of fuel sold, Perdue said.[/i]

Interesting move. I can kind of understand what he's trying to accomplish considering on average taxes make up 31% of the price of gasoline. But the flip side to this is if you make it more affordable, the demand side of the equation goes up ... and without the supply, the prices will go right back up anyways. The only difference being the state doesn't get any revenue. Of course I'm not an economist, so I could be wrong.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:54 AM   #182
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Wow. They admit that the excise tax gets passed to the consumers? I don't know anything about this tax, but I thought government tried hard to say that taxes weren't passed onto consumers.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:57 AM   #183
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Wow. They admit that the excise tax gets passed to the consumers? I don't know anything about this tax, but I thought government tried hard to say that taxes weren't passed onto consumers.

Not sure about that. The energy information administration breaks it down pretty clearly in what we pay for gas, saying federal excise taxes are 18.4% of the cost. See HERE

Last edited by moriarty : 09-02-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:20 PM   #184
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Not sure about that. The energy information administration breaks it down pretty clearly in what we pay for gas, saying federal excise taxes are 18.4% of the cost. See HERE

I wasn't talking about this particular tax, but I can recall the government not liking it when the telcos and cable companies started breaking down the taxes line by line on their customers' bills. I had got the impression for a while that the government tried to pretend that they were taxing businesses and not the end consumers.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #185
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Just filled my oil tank with 280 gallons of heating oil @ $2.70 per gallon. With tax, the total was $828.39. The guy driving the tanker said that he's being told prices will probably top out around $3.50 per gallon by the end of November.

Gas prices around here are still in the $2.86 range for Unleaded.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:06 PM   #186
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5
Just filled my oil tank with 280 gallons of heating oil @ $2.70 per gallon. With tax, the total was $828.39. The guy driving the tanker said that he's being told prices will probably top out around $3.50 per gallon by the end of November.

Gas prices around here are still in the $2.86 range for Unleaded.

Can you do me a favor? Can you total up a full year's ues of fuel oil for me? I have always considered it a rediculously expensive way to heat a home. Isn't natural gas a far far cheaper option? (yes I know some homes/rentals/etc aren't set up with it, just trying to validate my own position to myself)

I payed less than 1000.00 total for my natural gas in the last year at my old apartment. that included heating a place with 12 foot ceilings as well as hot water and cooking heat.

How long will that fuel tank you just filled last?

any info helpful, thanks!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:15 PM   #187
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Render, I think it depends on what part of the country you are in.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #188
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Render, I think it depends on what part of the country you are in.

True, but I was in Boston, MA and we froze our asses off last winter =) it was downright frigid for a few weeks straight. I'm just trying to see if my outlook is valid (that Nat Gas is the better choice)
Old 09-02-2005, 08:20 PM   #189
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Prices escalated to 3.39 here in Ann Arbor (a .75 jump from when I bought gas at 2.65 last Sunday), though they seem to be retreating now. A Citgo up the road from my house has actually dropped back to 2.99, the first time it's been below 3.00 since Tuesday.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:27 PM   #190
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Render I live in the Seattle area where it's warm maybe three months out of the year if we are lucky. That much oil will heat my home an entire year easy. That's a two story, 3 bedroom/2 bath with finished basement home, around 2700 sq. ft. give or take a few. My wife likes to crank the heat too! If we really kept it at a normal level we could go at least 14 months or so.

I looked at converting to Natural Gas back in 2001 when we decided to remodel the house (it's 60 years old) but the cost saving was not worth it at that time.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #191
Philliesfan980
Banned

We have about a 2300 FT townhouse, with natural gas heating, gas cooking, gas dryer, electric water heater, electric washer, and central air (electric). Our total energy bill during the peak winter months is around 380-400. Our energy bill in the summer is around 270-300 and our energy bill during the dead seasons (april - june) ; (sept - nov) is around 200-220.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #192
RendeR
Coordinator

Thanks for the cost input fellas! I appreciate it!
Old 09-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #193
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Just something scary:

Unleaded Gasoline Average Prices
Kansas USA Trend
Today
Yesterday
One Week Ago
One Mnth Ago
One Year Ago
Old 09-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #194
Elvis
n00b

Placerville, CA: Gas at the Safeway (traditionally the cheapest in town) was $3.11. Safeway club card members get $.03 off, so it's actually $3.08. Still smacks of price gouging - easily a 35 cent increase in just days.

Folsom, CA
: Close to work. $2.73 per gallon at Costco. Membership has its benefits...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:06 PM   #195
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I think people are freaking out about this whole gas thing. I went to wal-mart for about 30 minutes today and saw 2 different people that were buying gas cans. Both people I saw had two of the 5 gallon cans in their cart.

Oh, and the price of gas at walmart was 3.03 about 4 cents higher than yesterday.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:26 AM   #196
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo

I would just like to mention that I followed through and filled myself up with Jack Daniels and somebody else's Coors Light and my car is pretty much empty. I think more people need to follow my example.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:45 AM   #197
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Watched on CNN last night that 26 countries were willing to send us (can't remember the amount, but I believe it was something like 70,000) barrels of oil. Pretty nice.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:49 AM   #198
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

For the ATL folks, my wife drove west on 78 this morning from the edge of Loganville-Snellville through to Lilburn and said that every station between was out of gas. She said the stations close to 78 (but not actually on 78) seemed to still have it.

Last edited by Tekneek : 09-03-2005 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:54 AM   #199
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Macon, GA about 1030pm Friday - 2 stations at I-475. One (Marathon IIRC) out of gas.
The other, I think it was a Speedway, running pretty much normally. Prices were
$3.09/3.19/3.29.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #200
JeeberD
General Manager

As of last night the Walmart across the street was $2.99, Exxon down the road was $3.06 and RaceTrac was up to $3.19...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote