Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #151
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Well it would cost him a pretty penny if so.

His buyouts are as follows:

$18 mil each of next two seasons ...

$17.9 mil in '13, $14.5mil in '14, $10.8 mil in '15

Also expanded the no-compete clause to include all of the SEC instead of just the SEC West.

You're right, he's as good as gone.

I was just reading up on this and don't understand the non-compete part. Why does it exclude specific schools AND have a huge buyout? If Georgia or Florida want to pay (the ridiculous figure of) $18 mil for him, what is Arkansas going to do? Or are the buyouts only enforced for SEC schools (that makes a little sense)?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #152
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Sounds like they want to make it incredibly expensive for him to go anywhere, AND they don't want him leaving for an SEC team. Makes sense from the school's perspective. I think he's shown enough that they know he would have no problem going to a team they'd play every year, and they want a guarantee he won't do that in exchange for all the money they are giving him.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #153
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Sounds like they want to make it incredibly expensive for him to go anywhere, AND they don't want him leaving for an SEC team. Makes sense from the school's perspective. I think he's shown enough that they know he would have no problem going to a team they'd play every year, and they want a guarantee he won't do that in exchange for all the money they are giving him.

I can see that, but if $18 milion isn't prohibitive enough to stop him from leaving (which obviously it will be) then is a non-compete clause, with a prolonged legal battle, really going to stop him?

It just seems like overkill. Kind of like telling your wife that you'll divorce her if she cheats on you, but you will really divorce her if she cheats on you with someone from the neighborhood.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #154
Ksyrup

I don't know anything about non-competes in this kind of setting, but I would think that a school might be dissuaded from spending $18M on him if it came with the uncertainty that he might be barred from taking over immediately. If a school hired him, you'd have to think Arkansas would immediately go get a TRO based on the non-compete, and at a minimum, he might not be able to recruit and put together a staff until the legal matter was settled (likely for more money). Presumably, someone at Arkansas who knows about these things figures it would stand up in court (or is at least arguable), otherwise I agree that it's probably just overkill.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #155
digamma
Torchbearer

Malzahn to stay at Auburn.

According to EDSBS, Malzahn's father just got PAID!

Last edited by digamma : 12-13-2010 at 01:45 PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #156
Ksyrup

Listening to the local Tallahassee sports guy, and he's reading a report that Kirby Smart is headed to Florida to be DC. Kinda odd lateral move for a guy who might be a HC soon, if true.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #157
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Listening to the local Tallahassee sports guy, and he's reading a report that Kirby Smart is headed to Florida to be DC. Kinda odd lateral move for a guy who might be a HC soon, if true.

I read Smart makes 750k a year at Bama. I guess if Florida will make him a seven figure DC it makes sense but that seems excessive considering Muschamp is a defensive guy as it is.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #158
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Might be a premature announcement. It really makes no sense for him to be a DC elsewhere.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #159
Ksyrup

Not an announcement, more like a rumor (or a report - isn't that what established reporters call a rumor they feel compelled to announce?). Not even sure where it was from.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #160
Ksyrup

Actually just googled this and it's all over the place - so much so that someone with the AJC blogged about it today. So there appears to be some smoke.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #161
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Not an announcement, more like a rumor (or a report - isn't that what established reporters call a rumor they feel compelled to announce?). Not even sure where it was from.

Apparently Smart/Muschamp are good friends which is why this all started.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #162
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

http://twitter.com/ESPN_MobileCFB/st...09044928237568

At least one source of the rumor.

Last edited by Matthean : 12-13-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #163
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So I have been away the last two weeks finishing up a 35 page paper but at least I know I missed nothing in the coaching search. The only rumors out there are not coming from the AD's office. There is some buzz Harbaugh has a deal worked out but wanted to coach Luck's final game at Stanford. It seems feasible but I have no idea what to make of it.

Most likely Rich is fired after the bowl game, win or lose. Brandon takes heat if we win for firing him after a win, or he takes heat for waiting so long to fire him if we lose. The job posts, and a week later the heat dies down when Harbaugh is announced as HC. That is the only way this entire thing even somewhat works as Harbaugh is a great recruiter and can easily put together a solid class in three weeks.

If we wait, fire Rich and hire Hoke, then it is just awful. I like Hoke; think he will be a damn fine coach, but recruits don't know him. Three weeks for him to introduce himself to potential recruits isn't enough time to save the class.

If Rich stays it's an abject failure because it paralyzed recruiting in the interim.

I just want this shit to be over.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #164
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I was just reading up on this and don't understand the non-compete part. Why does it exclude specific schools AND have a huge buyout? If Georgia or Florida want to pay (the ridiculous figure of) $18 mil for him, what is Arkansas going to do? Or are the buyouts only enforced for SEC schools (that makes a little sense)?

I'm pretty sure all of this is just a show for recruits anyway. The school and coach want to make a statement that stops this job-hopper BS that comes up every time Urban Meyer spazzes out for a few minutes or whatever.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #165
Swaggs
Coordinator

Some WVU "news" coming out that has been quietly brewing for a few weeks has seeped into some other forums. It looks like there is a decent chance that the Mountaineers' current OC will leave to take the head coaching job at Kent State and that current Oklahoma State OC Dana Holgorsen is looking to come to be OC and CIW (for one season). Not sure if it actually has legs, but these two pieces of info just came out:

From the PPG's Pitt beat writer, who last night pegged Holgorsen as the Panthers' #1 choice to replace Wanny:

Holgorsen Will Not be Next Head Coach

Quote:
* Interesting developments in the carosel of coaching.......According to a very good source - and believe me, sources are always very sketchy but this one has never steered me wrong -- Dana Holgorsen will not be the next head coach of Pitt.

That's all I can write about it now, I'll have more later and I can say it with confidence - Holgorsen is not going to be the head coach at Pitt, pass it on to all who care.

But that doesn't mean he might not still end up in the Big East......

and then Robert Giovanetti, of Texas Tech's Rivals.com site (Holgorsen was a long-time assistant and OC under Leach), tweets:

Quote:
If Dana Holgorsen doesn't take the Pitt job he could end up at West Virginia as the OC for a year and then take over when Stewart retires

Who knows if this is going down, but if it does, I will be visiting Pitt's messageboard and doing this:

Last edited by Swaggs : 12-13-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #166
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Holgorsen spurning Pitt to wait a year for WVU would be awesome.

Also one of the Texas sites is reporting Mike Leach is a viable option to be their OC. I don't buy it but it makes some sense. He isn't going to get a HC job any time soon so if he goes to a big school like UT and is able to play nice I can see it rehabbing his reputation enough to eventually get a BCS gig.

That said, the chances of something like that are 10% tops.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #167
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Some WVU "news" coming out that has been quietly brewing for a few weeks has seeped into some other forums. It looks like there is a decent chance that the Mountaineers' current OC will leave to take the head coaching job at Kent State and that current Oklahoma State OC Dana Holgorsen is looking to come to be OC and CIW (for one season). Not sure if it actually has legs, but these two pieces of info just came out:

From the PPG's Pitt beat writer, who last night pegged Holgorsen as the Panthers' #1 choice to replace Wanny:

and then Robert Giovanetti, of Texas Tech's Rivals.com site (Holgorsen was a long-time assistant and OC under Leach), tweets:

Who knows if this is going down, but if it does, I will be visiting Pitt's messageboard and doing this:

If what some of the Pitt fans said about the way Wanny ended up resigning are true they're going to have a hard time bringing someone in because they're a mess right now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #168
MJ4H
Coordinator

People now saying Gus turned down Vandy job. who the heck knows anymore?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #169
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Auburn Tigers offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn snubs Vanderbilt offer, source says - ESPN

Stays and nearly triples his salary.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #170
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

$1.3 million is probably more than half of what D-1FBS head coaches are making.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #171
MrBug708
Head Coach

No sense in leaving yet. There will be other jobs
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #172
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

This may happen very quickly if what's being said is true. It's also not going to be as smooth of a transition as anyone would have liked.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #173
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This means nothing but since all the Vegas books took the Iowa/Mizzou game off the board this is nothing if not topical.

Bodog had a prop bet on the odds of Harbaugh going to Michigan. On Friday it was 5 to 1. Last night it got down to 3.5 to 1. Today it's gone.

Since our AD is literally so tight lipped about it there is no way anything has really leaked. The Rivals site even came out and basically insinuated there are a few people who know things and all they can say is if they open their mouths and it comes back to them they are fired.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #174
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This may happen very quickly if what's being said is true. It's also not going to be as smooth of a transition as anyone would have liked.

I really don't like the direction this is headed in. I don't see how Stewart can return next season and have a working relationship with Luck, so I will be surprised if the bowl game is not his final game as head coach.

Ousting Stew, for anyone other than a successful/established head coach, in a 9-3 season is going to further the divide in the fan base and create even more unrealistic expectations.

Oliver Luck is really putting his neck on the line if this happens.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #175
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Just curious for those who follow the coaching changes much more than me, how come Pat Fitzgerald's name never gets thrown around? He's done a pretty damn good job at Northwestern and I'm surprised he doesn't get mentioned at other schools that can bring in better players than Northwestern. Wouldn't he be a poor man's Jim Harbaugh?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #176
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Just curious for those who follow the coaching changes much more than me, how come Pat Fitzgerald's name never gets thrown around? He's done a pretty damn good job at Northwestern and I'm surprised he doesn't get mentioned at other schools that can bring in better players than Northwestern. Wouldn't he be a poor man's Jim Harbaugh?

He's my #1 dream choice for Michigan but he's a NW guy. I don't think he'd ever leave his alma mater unless he got to a point where he realized he was maxed out at what the school can do.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #177
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Because he bleeds purple.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #178
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I thought he'd be an interesting pick for Michigan behind Harbaugh. I just don't know what else he can really do at Northwestern. There is only so much talent they can bring in and I think he maximizes that as well as anyone. Would love to see him with a team like Michigan who can bring in much better talent.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #179
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Well, he played for back-to-back Big Ten champions, so he probably believes he can accomplish more there than most.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:35 AM   #180
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I really don't like the direction this is headed in. I don't see how Stewart can return next season and have a working relationship with Luck, so I will be surprised if the bowl game is not his final game as head coach.

Ousting Stew, for anyone other than a successful/established head coach, in a 9-3 season is going to further the divide in the fan base and create even more unrealistic expectations.

Oliver Luck is really putting his neck on the line if this happens.

The misinformation on this one is getting as bad as when Rich left. Sounds like there's been talk and there's definitely mutual interest, but nothing is happening yet. I've heard no official announcement will be made until after the bowl, but if something happens we know it'll be out before then.

I'm really torn on this one.

Stew is a highly underrated coach and I really think Mullen's offense (assuming he stays) would be begin to take off next year. Devine was really hurting us this year. He just wasn't the same guy after the injury and he didn't seem to be there mentally before he got hurt. Once we switched to backs that could find the holes the line was making and consistently get positive yardage the offense looked much, much better.

However, I understand that Ollie is running a business and unfortunately Stew is getting to the point where he's really bad for business. He'd be a fool not to start looking around and preparing for the future.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #181
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It seems like WVU has high aspirations. Holgorsen has a lot of potential, but he probably does need a year at WVU in another role before he took the reigns over. I know the rumor is if he doesn't go to WVU he may join Muschamp as the OC at UF. Frankly I'd keep Stew a year, let Holgorsen possibly go be OC at UF a year so he can make in roads in the state and also develop a name, then try to hire him.

Risky game but there will always be other candidates.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #182
Swaggs
Coordinator

Hard to believe, but it looks like Oliver Luck is bringing in the dreaded HCIW to take over for Coach Stewart.

I guess the new precedent is that 9-wins is not good enough at WVU and I think that is really unrealistic.

http://www.wvgazette.com/latest/201012140659

Quote:
Source: Holgorsen to WVU
Stewart to stay head coach one more year
By Mitch Vingle
The Charleston Gazette
Advertiser

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Virginia University has landed the services of Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen.

According to a source that asked to remain anonymous, Holgorsen will take over as the Mountaineer offensive coordinator next season and then replace Stewart as head coach in 2012-13.

Stewart has agreed to stay on next season.

According to the source, WVU defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel and the entire defensive staff will be retained. Current Mountaineer offensive coordinator Jeff Mullen is apparently out whether he lands the open Kent State head coaching job or not.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #183
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Hard to believe, but it looks like Oliver Luck is bringing in the dreaded HCIW to take over for Coach Stewart.

I guess the new precedent is that 9-wins is not good enough at WVU and I think that is really unrealistic.

http://www.wvgazette.com/latest/201012140659

Nothing good can come from this situation next year. Should pay dividend when Dana becomes the HC in 2012 but I feel like it'll be at the cost of 2011.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #184
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Nothing good can come from this situation next year. Should pay dividend when Dana becomes the HC in 2012 but I feel like it'll be at the cost of 2011.

Being short an assistant recruiting for the next year won't help either.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #185
Ksyrup

Yeah, someone just wrote an article on how the HCIW thing was over, and part of it was the fact that they closed the recruiting loophole so that HCIW has the same limits for visits as the HC.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #186
timmynausea
College Starter

Well, Holgorsen is being added for X's and O's, so I'm not as concerned about recruiting limitations for 1 year. If the O puts up numbers like Oklahoma St. did in his first year there, then I'd think that'd help recruiting enough to make up for anything else. This is a lot different than the open-ended Muschamp or etc. deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

With WVU having just gone through a rough offensive transition (much like Michigan), I think your perspective makes sense, but I almost think this move is being made with 2011 in mind as much or more than anything else. WVU has a ton of offensive talent and experience back next year, and Holgorsen is seen as a guy that can quickly implement his offense, having done so with immediate success at Houston and OK St. recently.

I also think Luck is banking everything on doing as well as possible in the near future so WVU can be in a good position to get an ACC or SEC invite. In fact, looking long term, pushing Stew out for Holgorsen may be a very risky move as if DH does have success, he could be gone in a heartbeat for a Midwest school.

All of that said, it feels good to beat Pitt again.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #188
Ksyrup

Two HCIW's gone...who is left?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #189
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
All of that said, it feels good to beat Pitt again.

Pitt turned him down because he failed their background check.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #190
Swaggs
Coordinator

Yeah. Paul Zeise must have been threatened with being cut off. I'm not sure I have ever seen a bigger backtrack job.

Quote:
Pitt turned him down because he failed their background check.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #191
Swaggs
Coordinator

Unless they hit a snag, Pitt looks like they will go with Miami (OH) head coach (and former Notre Dame OC under Weis) Mike Haywood. He went 1-11 in his first year, but turned it around in year 2, going 9-4 and winning the MAC.

I'm not sure that this is going to be an upgrade over Wanny, but some pretty good coaches have come out of the MAC in the past ten years (Urban Meyer, Brady Hoke, Brian Kelly) and a couple more have been given good opportunities (Turner Gill and Jerry Kill) at BCS schools.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #192
Logan
Head Coach

Pretty interesting. Mark D'onofrio was offered the job to replace Al Golden as Head Coach of Temple, but instead turned it down to become Golden's DC at Miami.

Last edited by Logan : 12-15-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #193
Swaggs
Coordinator

I wonder if Leach would take the Temple job...
Old 12-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #194
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I wonder if Leach would take the Temple job...

As long as Craig Anderson's son doesn't go there......
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #195
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
As long as Craig Anderson's son doesn't go there......

"I lost Anderbo and her beau!"
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #196
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah. Paul Zeise must have been threatened with being cut off. I'm not sure I have ever seen a bigger backtrack job.

Did you see or hear about the Pitt press conference by chance?

The spin coming out of there to try and save face on this hire is hilarious.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #197
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Did you see or hear about the Pitt press conference by chance?

The spin coming out of there to try and save face on this hire is hilarious.

Yeah... that was just odd.

Looks like a good hire for Pitt... for WVU fans.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #198
Atocep
Coordinator

Forgot to comment on this when it was posted and remembered when some rumors started to circulate today that Maryland may be looking to ditch Fridge.

Vandy probably did Maryland a favor here. Rumor last year was Maryland already regretted the HCIW deal with Franklin and was hoping to find away out of it if they got rid of Fridge.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #199
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa DC Norm Parker coming back next season.

Parker had major complications with his diabetes this season. He had a foot amputated and spent considerable time in the hospital. He was missed on the sideline.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #200
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
He was missed on the sideline.

Too bad the Dolphins' Nolan Carroll wasn't.......

Hey-yo......
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote