Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2003, 11:11 AM   #151
Neel
n00b

Oh no, I will not be upset at all.

We are all looking for someone who would be interested and I think everyone involved would want others who would find if fun to run a team as a group.

I would be happy to help in at any coaching spot.
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 01:58 PM   #152
primelord
Pro Rookie

Paging GM Quik...
Old 02-05-2003, 02:03 PM   #153
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I would like to be a position coach on offense, if avialable. Either RB/FB, TE/WR, or O-line...if one is avialable I would like the job...if not then no problem.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 04:10 PM   #154
Mike47
n00b

I would be very interested in helping any way I can. I have been playing FOF since FOF2. I did not read each and every post in this thread but if I need to I will. Please contact me at [email protected]

I am willing to take any position that is available at this time.

Mike47
Mike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 04:31 PM   #155
primelord
Pro Rookie

Mike can't we just contact you on the board?
Old 02-05-2003, 09:00 PM   #156
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, sorry I've been away most of the day.

wade - you're our man on offense. I'd like you to get Bee and Doug5984 onto the offensive staff - I'm comfortable that you three will bring us on line effectively.

There have been several people who have expressed interest in being involved with scouting. I'll sort through those posts, and we'll come up with a plan there shortly.

primelord, how are the files coming along? (Or do I need to dig back into the thread more?)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 09:16 PM   #157
wade moore
lolzcat

quick note, about to crash, i'll write more in the morning..

but i think that cthomer was heavily interested in scouting, so i'm thinking he'd be a good man to put in charge of that -- he's shown himself in other dynasty projects..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:46 AM   #158
Bee
Pro Starter

wade,

You can assign me to whatever position coach that others don't want. Just glancing back, it looks like no one was very interested in the offensive line - but any position is fine with me.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:51 PM   #159
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
primelord, how are the files coming along? (Or do I need to dig back into the thread more?)

The files are done. I am getting ready to put them up for everyone. The size of the files isn't going to be nearly the problem I thought it was. The files are 80+ megs, but once compressed with WinZip they squashed down to 4.5 meg which is pretty damn impressive.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:59 PM   #160
QuikSand
lolzcat

Egg salad.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:06 PM   #161
wade moore
lolzcat

If you need space, let me know... Posting coming soon with positions..

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 02-06-2003, 03:31 PM   #162
primelord
Pro Rookie

Ok I am having problems getting the web space together so to not hold things up any longer than we have to if you have space wade I'd be grateful if we can use it.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:13 PM   #163
Mike47
n00b

Yeah, you guys can contact me on the board. My internet connection was down for about two days so this is the longest you'll ever wait for me to reply to anything...trust me I'm in college and have spare time up the wah-zoo.

I am willing to do whatever I can to assist. Of course everyone wants to be a GM but I wouldn't mind scouting (pro or college) or working with a particular position group. All of these would be foreign to me in this type of "group thinking" because I, like many others, have never done anything like this before in a group. I'm willing to start small. Just throw me a bone. Whatever makes things easier for you guys. I just love football and love FOF.

Mike
Mike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:06 PM   #164
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I have not seen this posted as of yet...but where do we begin with the file? Do we start at the end of a season, and go through free agency and the draft to get 'our guys' in the game? Or do we start at the beggining of a season and play with the players we are delt?
Old 02-07-2003, 06:40 AM   #165
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug5984
I have not seen this posted as of yet...but where do we begin with the file? Do we start at the end of a season, and go through free agency and the draft to get 'our guys' in the game? Or do we start at the beggining of a season and play with the players we are delt?

We are starting at the hire staff point.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:41 AM   #166
QuikSand
lolzcat

I have a somewhat new idea for "starting" our team.

Rather than go with a *pure* empty cupboard, how about this:

-we will (by necessity) take over an established team, with a full roster

-any players on that team may be kept, but only after we sign them to a new contract

-any other players who we can not or will not re-sign must be released

I think that would get us closer to having a "market value" for any players aboard - withou the artificial penalty of never being able to obtain any players who happened to be on our team to begin with.

This would mean a salary cap hit in our first couple of years, which would also add some temperance to our ability to rapidly stock the team with free agents. Not an altogether bad thing, I don't think.

I like this... a fair balance, I think, between true empty cupboard and just taking over an existing team. Plus, it will give us lots to talk about immediately, once we get files sent around.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:55 AM   #167
wade moore
lolzcat

Bully, Bully! I like this idea!

Quote:
Old 02-07-2003, 08:01 AM   #168
Bee
Pro Starter

I agree. That's a very good idea IMO.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:05 AM   #169
wade moore
lolzcat

Prime, the natives are restless

Quote:
Old 02-07-2003, 08:15 AM   #170
Bee
Pro Starter

Maybe we should move forward with finalizing the house rules? Perhaps get the career "officially" started on Monday if the file is available at that time?
Old 02-07-2003, 08:17 AM   #171
wade moore
lolzcat

Sounds Like a good plan.. someone (not sure if I'll have time today, I work at a helpdesk and it's hard to write a long message, but because of the snow you all got up there our biggest customer (Patuxent River Naval Base) is not working for the most part so maybe) needs to sum it up on that post, tie in everything, and I guess basically vote on if it's ok.. we can discuss until the cows come home, at some point we have to just make a decision...

Quote:
Old 02-07-2003, 08:30 AM   #172
primelord
Pro Rookie

I had some problems securing the web space yesterday, but I got it taken care of this morning. However the file is at home so it will have to wait until tonight, but I will get it out for everyone this evening.

Quik,

We aren't going to have to make that many desicisons on people who are already on the roster intially. Since I have been quick simming all of our players are only playing out their rookie contracts. After that they don;t get resigned and the players the AI signs to fill the roster are only signed to one year deals so we only have a handful of guys under contract anyway.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:31 AM   #173
Bee
Pro Starter

I put together an initial set of house rules in the thread, which I will edit as we finalize it if that's ok with everyone.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:51 AM   #174
wade moore
lolzcat

Works for me... The rules seemed goo doverall, make sure we add the ones we discussed in this thread (i.e. not simming ahead)

Quote:
Old 02-07-2003, 08:49 PM   #175
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
I had some problems securing the web space yesterday, but I got it taken care of this morning. However the file is at home so it will have to wait until tonight, but I will get it out for everyone this evening.

Itching... will probably miss it tonight, it seems. But it would be great to get a file out and about this weekend - I actually will have some time to dedicate, if we can do so.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:47 AM   #176
QuikSand
lolzcat

rats.

just bumping...
Old 02-08-2003, 08:48 AM   #177
wade moore
lolzcat

if space is the prob prime, i have space ready and available.. you could e-mail me the file at [email protected] and i could put it up...

Quote:
Old 02-08-2003, 08:50 AM   #178
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola..

Were we going to change the team names, or is it too late for that?

Quote:
Old 02-08-2003, 09:00 AM   #179
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by wade moore
Were we going to change the team names, or is it too late for that?

It's not too late - that can be an adjustment made while we have the first game file. I'm just hoping that can happen fairly soon.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:14 PM   #180
QuikSand
lolzcat

ping primelord...
Old 02-08-2003, 05:52 PM   #181
wade moore
lolzcat

Not to step on prime's toes, but does someone else need to run a sim up to 2002 so that we can start?

Quote:
Old 02-09-2003, 05:47 AM   #182
QuikSand
lolzcat

Starting to look that way. I don't know how to start a league in an arbitrary year... but I'll check it out, and see what I can do.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:03 AM   #183
wade moore
lolzcat

All you do is go to the player editor, create a player file, make it so there is one player in the draft pool and one in the player pool, and then go to the misc options and change the starting year to 1987 and the cap to 200 (20 mil)..

If you need help, let me know, i should be on IM for atleast aqhile..

Quote:
Old 02-09-2003, 12:47 PM   #184
QuikSand
lolzcat

I don't know when I'll get a chance to get to this, but today isn't looking too likely. I had a pocket of time this morning, but now am starting to feel the hot breath of Monday morning on my neck, and have to get back to real work. Alas, I suppose this will happen eventually - but my time availability just isn't very consistent this time of year.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:31 PM   #185
wade moore
lolzcat

Urm, if I have time I might be able to do it.. we could use the file I'm using for my Redskins Dynasty, but that's up to you.. if we get that desperate, we can just use that..

Quote:
Old 02-09-2003, 03:13 PM   #186
primelord
Pro Rookie

Ok we have a bit of a problem here. Everytime I set the year to 1987 and then sim up to 2002 it wipes all the players out of the draft for the 2002 year. I asked Jim about it and he said it is probably a bug in the game that has to do with the expansion draft for 2002 year. Now I know other people have had success with a mature universe before, but I have tried 5 different times now and the same thing happens every time. I am not just asleep at the wheel. Although I do apologize it is taking so long.

So with that being said we can go in a couple directions. If someone else wants to generate the file thats ok with me. But I will be happy to do it still. I am thinking I can start the league in 1975 and generate up to 1990. That gives us our 15 years and hopefully should avoid the problem atleast until 2002. At the point if we go that long we can look into maybe just importing a TCY draft for that year.

The other option is I do have a 2002 year file that has had all game generated players to this point, but like I said the draft is empty. So we would have to import a TCY file to get it to work. Whatever you guys want to do is fine with me.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:17 PM   #187
wade moore
lolzcat

Prime,

I ran into this just last week.. everyone told me you have to just import a TCY file... that it is a bug in the game..

On that note, that annoys me btw.. I wrote Jim over a week ago about it and he never wrote me back.. sigh.. anyway..

I say just import a TCY file for this year, say it is an outsanding class, and be on our merry way.. that is what i had to do..

Quote:
Old 02-09-2003, 03:22 PM   #188
wade moore
lolzcat

My posts aren't showing up half of the time, this is weird..

This is a bug in the game apparently.. I had the prob about a week ago and everyone told me they know about it and you have to import a TCY draft, so I say let's just do that and call it an outstanding draft class..

That annoys me btw, I wrote Jim about a week ago about this and he never wrote me back..

anyway, i say import and move on..

Quote:
Old 02-09-2003, 03:32 PM   #189
wade moore
lolzcat

Prime, if you use IM -- send me a message at 'wademoore'

Quote:
Old 02-09-2003, 03:41 PM   #190
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola again..

was just chatting with Quik..

What if we started in 2002, even with an opu, salary of 20 mil, and then simmed out 15 years from there? It seems that with me comparing a couple of years this could really throw things out of whack to have this one extraordinarily good draft class.. any thoughts? I don't have time to sim 15 years unfortunately

Quote:
Old 02-09-2003, 03:53 PM   #191
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Primelord- before we try and re-sim for 15 years...why not try importing a TCY draft file, and just seeing how distorted the player ratings are? If it isn't to bad we could do that but if it is really bad (the entire first round being players w/ ratings in the 90s) then we might need to do something different
Old 02-09-2003, 04:34 PM   #192
wade moore
lolzcat

I looked at the class, and there are about twice as many 80's, 70's, and 60's in future potential

Quote:
Old 02-09-2003, 05:34 PM   #193
primelord
Pro Rookie

Ok sorry guys I was having some trouble getting to the board so I just made an executive desicion. I started the universe in 1975 and simmed forward to 1990. I figure the year really doesn't mean much. So I hope that was ok. I am getting ready to upload the file right now.

We have been a pretty mediocre franchise (as expected) over the years and this year we have the #4 pick in the draft. The file should be up within the hour.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:32 PM   #194
primelord
Pro Rookie

Ok I am having real problems posting to the board.

The file is up and you can get it at the following address.

FOFC_GT.zip

Let me know if anyone has any problems.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 06:50 PM   #195
wade moore
lolzcat

This plan works for me, speak up if it doesn't...

Quote:
Old 02-09-2003, 06:55 PM   #196
DolaBump
Mascot

I say we go with this and work on "toning down" a TCY draft for the 2002 season when we get there. I'm fairly sure its a bug dealing with the ability to draft "real" players in the 2002 draft if electing to start with the expansion draft. Anyway, using a TCY draft does fix this and if we use the draft editor, we should be able to find a way to bring the level of that years draft down -- besides its 12 years away.

Now to get some team names.
DolaBump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 07:21 PM   #197
primelord
Pro Rookie

Plus Jim told me he will address that bug in the next patch anyway. So hopefully by the time we get to 2002 the new patch will be out.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:30 PM   #198
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Ok I just had some time to look over the file, and I noticed that our coach was no longer under contract, so I put together a make-shift short of possible candidates (my top 10 rated coaches)...here they are. Also I noticed our scout is really bad, we might want to consider hiring a new one.

(They are not in any order)
Name...Record...Age...Money Wanted (Million)...Worst Attributes...Best Attributes

Ian Bosworth (NED) 45-24...60...3.64...Fair Secondary...Excellent QB / O-line

Skip Brady...0-0...52...5.79...Poor Linebackers...Excellent Young Talent

Rodney Perry...0-0...56...3.72...Fair O-Line...Excellent Linebackers

Lionel Clanton...0-0...65...3.7...Fair O-Line...Excellent Injury / D-Play Call

Dexter Reeves...0-0...55...4.34...Fair O-Line / LBs...Very Good - RB / Motovation

Richard Bedwell (MIN)...27-25...60...4.77...Fair WRs...Excellent O-line / Secondary

Norbert Wilson...0-0...59...4.46...Fair D-line / Motovation...Excellent Secondary

Full Contact Jarvis...0-0...46...4.13...Fair D-line / D-Play Call...Very Good - QB / O-line

Richard Crane (HOU)...22-41...62...3.46...Fair O-Play Call...Excellent Kicker / D-line

J.J. Boles...21-14...50...6...Poor D- Play Call...Excellent LBs

I also had some time to look at our roster and the few remaining players on it are pretty good, I especially like our young RB. If we do decide to use the player designation this year the 3 players that I wouuld really look at are:
SS Donnie Bridgeman, CB Alonzo Armstrong, or RT Casey Ledyard. The RT is not that great and we could probably find a good replacement in FA if we wanted to, but if our Offense is going to be very strong run oriented we might want to try and lock him up.

Also, is there any set timeline as to when things will be run and all that type of stuff?

Last edited by Doug5984 : 02-09-2003 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:40 AM   #199
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm willing to take on an offensive position

If there is an offencsive coaches position open or scout I would be willing to do this. Iespecially would like the O-line or OC job.

Thanks
Strait8
strait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:14 AM   #200
DolaBump
Mascot

I went ahead and rated all of the coaches and here's my top ten in order:

Ian Bosworth –
He's 60, probably the best coach and by far the best value, asking only $3.64 mil compared to a high of 6 mil. Not great at developing positions or talent, but a good playcaller, plus VG, G and VG at Motivation, discipline and injury avoidance respectively. Not actually my preference, but he rated out the highest. Also has the 3rd best Winning pct of active coaches and has won a championship. Only 5 years as a Head Coach.

Richard Bedwell –
Also 60, also a solid value, asking $4.77. Probably the best all-around coach, excelling with the O-line and secondary as well as VG at QBs, Off playcalling and Injury Avoidance. Coming off of a 12-4 season with the Vikes, they lost the Super Bowl in only his 3rd year as a Head Coach.

Jonathon Mitchell –
57, but he's got 15 years logged as a Head Coach, including 5 playoff apearances and a championship. Asking $4.4, about what he's worth, possibly on the downcurve of his career. Slightly above average for positions, though excellent with the o-line. Only average w/Young Talent, though, as his strengths lie in Motivation, discipline and playcalling. Very similar to Bosworth, but a longer track record, though San Fran finished just 8-8 last year.

Full Contact Jarvis –
Well, gotta love the name. At 46, he's never been a Head Coach, one of only three such candidates in my top ten. Another good value, asking only $4.13. He's a change of pace, rating good or better at every position except d-line (avg). Only average w/young talent and weak w/discipline and def playcalling. Something of a risk, but he may pay off.

Richard Crane –
Our current Head Coach, though his contract is up. He's 62 and we've been below .500 in all three of his years coaching us (though that may not be his fault considering the lack of stability). He's hit or miss with the positions, though he is excellent w/D-line and Kickers. He also rates Good at Young Talent, Motivation, Discipline and Injury Avoidance. The other positives are a reasonable $3.46 mil salary and that retaining him helps maintain cohesion.

JJ Boles –
He's 50 and has been nothing but successful, coaching SD the past two years (his only two) and making the playoffs both years, losing in the AFC championship last year to eventual champs Tennessee. Good at almost everything, but his playcalling is abysmal, and he's not any better than good, except when dealing with LBs (exc). While he looks good at first glance, his $6 mil pricetag makes me a bit way.

Tyrus Joseph –
Along the lines of Full Contact, he's 49 and has never been a Heach Coach. He's also primarily a position guy, though he's very good at developing young talent, which is nice to see. His major weaknesses lie in his fair Discipline and Def playcalling and Average Off playcalling and Injury avoidance. A better deal than Full Contact at $3.63 mil, but I think I'd be more willing to take a chance on F.C. Jarvis.

Ryan Reeves –
At 53, he's been coaching for 7 years, but has yet to make the playoffs. His main selling point is that he's solid across the board except for Kickers and Motivation. He's VG with the offensive players and excellent w/the D-line. A decent coach, but overpriced at $5.33 mil and still unproven, despite several opportunities.

Walter Keen –
60, w/15 years of experience, he's only made the playoffs 3 times, though he did finish 9-6 w/NO last year. Another guy who might be dropping off, he's developing some Jekyll and Hyde tendencies, either being VG or poor in almost every category. His strength is all offense, both w/position players (minus the O-line) and playcalling -- we're talking Steve Spurrier here. He's also good w/young talent, which helps, as does his pricetag, a modest $3.77 mil. Still, he seems more like a filler coach than anything.

Korey Geather -
A whiz kid, he's only 42, with no Head Coaching experience and decent ratings. A key, though, is that he's VG w/ QBs and LBs, two key positions and is only below avg in the Secondary and at RB. He's a huge risk reward candidate, with massive room for growth coming with a massive salary: $5.7 million.

That's my summary, with
Ronnie Perry
Luther drake
Bernie Johnstone
Tim Perez
Norbert Wilson
Mitchell Bowling
Butch Serman
other candidates I thought might be worth a look, but just didn;t make my top ten. After that I'm not really a fan of the others, they have too much downside.

Incidentally, Stan Durham rated out the worst candidate and Ernest Corzine was BY FAR the worst value out there.
DolaBump is offline   Reply With Quote