College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
<-------AH4L on the day Jim announces TCY2

Lol.... I'm going to have take work off that day
Old 04-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #152
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Put this together thinking about what a "real" calendar year looks like for running a college football program with the announcement of Grey Dog's game. Wanted to post it here too, as I don't particularly care who does this, I'd just like to see it.

I'd like to see a realistic calendar. I *love* the way FBCB moves seamlessly from one month to the next, with logical actions for each month of the calendar year. I'm writing this in April 2005, and in real life, recruiting has been going on pretty much since the first Thursday in February. Kids are being recruited NOW for next February's signing day. Junior days have already happened at several (if not all) SEC schools. *Tons* of recruits are heading to the G-Day game in Athens this weekend, and a bunch were there watching practice last weekend. Texas already has 16 verbals. Most top-tier teams will have 16-20 verbals by the time the season starts. The December-February period may have a few blue-chippers left in it, but most of the big schools will have their classes 70-90% full by then. For big schools, Dec-Feb. is spent mainly making sure all those verbals don't de-commit, and then focusing on the small handful of target guys left. I like the FBCB model of having a continuous calendar, especially for college football:

January 2005: finish Bowl (or playoff) section, mop-up recruiting for 2005 Signing Day if you're at an elite school, heavy recruiting for 2005 signing day if you're a non-BCS D-1 school like a Tulane, a Memphis, a Miami of Ohio.

February 2005: Signing day! Some verbals change their tune on you. News of which underclassmen decide to declare for the NFL Draft.

March 2005: Hold Junior Days for 2006 recruits, visits to high schools, first verbal commitments for Class of 2006.

April 2005: spring practice (work on new formations, some particularly smart incoming signees already enrolled in school and can practice, getting a boost in development, chance of injuries if you decide to have a spring game, but if you DO have one, can increase alumni donations and loyalty, as well as be a showcase game where Class of '06 HS players check out your school, players who were injured in the season and can't practice, like Kregg Lumpkin, get minimal/no boost in development, )

May 2005: visits to high school spring practices to evaluate players (can't tell you how many recruiters I saw at Tucker's spring practice last year....probably 6 or 8 different D1 schools every day), find out if any of your returning players will be academically ineligible for 2005 season.

June 2005: summer training for current players and incoming freshmen, host summer camps for high schools (would give a BIG boost to attendees in both propensity to sign with you and in accurate evaluation of talent)

July 2005: new weight room, 40 times, etc. recorded for returning players and new players. (UGA usually does this the last week of July.), more summer camps to woo/evaluate 2006 recruits

August 2005: Practice! Players can potentially get injured, (see Kregg Lumpkin again...out for the year in '04 in a non-contact drill), potential for "breakout" players at this point (guys who perform well in practice unexpectedly), first "accurate" evaluation of football skills of incoming freshmen

September-December 2005: play games, host official visits, call players, go to high school games anywhere on off weeks (within budget), go to high school games within x number of miles of your location on game weeks...going to high school games increases likelihood of coming to your school, and gives you a more accurate picture of the player

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-07-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:59 PM   #153
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Good stuff, Ben. Thanks for posting it.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:03 PM   #154
Buccaneer
Head Coach

When it comes down to it, I would love to see a college football game that looks and plays like FBCB.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:10 PM   #155
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
When it comes down to it, I would love to see a college football game that looks and plays like FBCB.
That's basically what I'm trying to say. The flow and one-more-turn feel of that game is incredible.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:16 PM   #156
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
That's basically what I'm trying to say. The flow and one-more-turn feel of that game is incredible.

Best one-more-turn feel of any sports game in history, imo.

I am keying on your thought of "something to do each month". Recruiting definitely belongs in the off-season and gameplay purposes, I would strongly prefer to have most of it out of the way before the season begins - with some follow-up for campus/game visits during the season. I know that's taking too much out of the season but FBCB proves that it keeps the game (and the gamer) flowing.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:22 PM   #157
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

As much as I love TCY (and FBCB), one thing that both seriously lack to me is any life in the recruiting feedback. TCY offers a little, but in the end doesn't much sense of the recruit's sentiments. You hear the initial message, crunch the Academic, Prestige, and Distance figures, and are then left scratching your head when the guy signs with some other school that seemingly shouldn't be in the mix. FBCB offers you a top five list and a Very High, High, Average, Low, Very Low scale, but it's still rather dry.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:30 PM   #158
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
FBCB offers you a top five list and a Very High, High, Average, Low, Very Low scale, but it's still rather dry.
But in real life, that's really basically all the information that's out there. I subscribe to Rivals.com, and they list a player's scholly offers, his "interest level" (High, Medium and Low), and a Top Five. Quite often, the FBCB model is about as detailed as a college coaching staff knows in real life. Don't forget that we *are* dealing with the whims of 17 and 18 year old kids here. Having witnessed this process firsthand more than a few times now, I can tell you that many times even a player's high school coach, his parents, and the player himself couldn't tell you more than a Top 5. I think a combination of the "idolizes" thing in TCY, the VH/H/A/L/VL list of FBCB, and the Top Five List of both games is about as accurate as it should get in this area.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #159
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm just wondering how much more overhead it takes to do recruiting for college football versus basketball. You have 300+ teams in basketball with 12 to 15 players a team, and 3 to 6 players recruited each year. In football, there are 115+ teams, with 60 to 80 players on each team, and 10 to 25 players recruited each year. So I the pool of recruits is going to be much higher for football, or so it would seem.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:39 PM   #160
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
But in real life, that's really basically all the information that's out there. I subscribe to Rivals.com, and they list a player's scholly offers, his "interest level" (High, Medium and Low), and a Top Five. Quite often, the FBCB model is about as detailed as a college coaching staff knows in real life. Don't forget that we *are* dealing with the whims of 17 and 18 year old kids here. Having witnessed this process firsthand more than a few times now, I can tell you that many times even a player's high school coach, his parents, and the player himself couldn't tell you more than a Top 5. I think a combination of the "idolizes" thing in TCY, the VH/H/A/L/VL list of FBCB, and the Top Five List of both games is about as accurate as it should get in this area.

Prime example: Ryan Perrilioux. Was a solid Longhorn until the final weekend, when he switched to LSU. If this happened in a game, we'd probably call it a bug...
Old 04-07-2005, 10:45 PM   #161
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

No, Ben, I agree with you in that sense. What I mean is that visits or phone calls are mere allocations, rather than tangible gauges of the recruit's intentions. In TCY, "Joe Smith thanks you for contacting him again." Until the massive visit haul of Week 8, most of the recruits are simply "considering" you and you're basing a lot on speculation that too often is a shot in the dark. In reality of course there is a huge amount of speculation and guesswork, but the coach/recruiter also has the advantage of personal contact with the recruit to gauge things. If in TCY I have all the numbers in my favor and am being considered, yet all I hear from my latest call is, "Joe Smith is seriously considering Vanderbilt," should that be enough?

Last edited by WSUCougar : 04-07-2005 at 10:45 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:47 PM   #162
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Prime example: Ryan Perrilioux. Was a solid Longhorn until the final weekend, when he switched to LSU. If this happened in a game, we'd probably call it a bug...
True...but I'd want my ideal college football sim to explain the scenario to me somehow, so I'd understand that it WASN'T a bug.

"Ryan decided that, when it came right down to it, he knew that he'd never win a championship under Mack Brown."
Old 04-07-2005, 10:50 PM   #163
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
If in TCY I have all the numbers in my favor and am being considered, yet all I hear from my latest call is, "Joe Smith is seriously considering Vanderbilt," should that be enough?

That tells me, *let Joe Smith go to Vanderbilt*
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:43 PM   #164
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Put this together thinking about what a "real" calendar year looks like for running a college football program with the announcement of Grey Dog's game. Wanted to post it here too, as I don't particularly care who does this, I'd just like to see it.

I'd like to see a realistic calendar. I *love* the way FBCB moves seamlessly from one month to the next, with logical actions for each month of the calendar year. I'm writing this in April 2005, and in real life, recruiting has been going on pretty much since the first Thursday in February. Kids are being recruited NOW for next February's signing day. Junior days have already happened at several (if not all) SEC schools. *Tons* of recruits are heading to the G-Day game in Athens this weekend, and a bunch were there watching practice last weekend. Texas already has 16 verbals. Most top-tier teams will have 16-20 verbals by the time the season starts. The December-February period may have a few blue-chippers left in it, but most of the big schools will have their classes 70-90% full by then. For big schools, Dec-Feb. is spent mainly making sure all those verbals don't de-commit, and then focusing on the small handful of target guys left. I like the FBCB model of having a continuous calendar, especially for college football:

January 2005: finish Bowl (or playoff) section, mop-up recruiting for 2005 Signing Day if you're at an elite school, heavy recruiting for 2005 signing day if you're a non-BCS D-1 school like a Tulane, a Memphis, a Miami of Ohio.

February 2005: Signing day! Some verbals change their tune on you. News of which underclassmen decide to declare for the NFL Draft.

March 2005: Hold Junior Days for 2006 recruits, visits to high schools, first verbal commitments for Class of 2006.

April 2005: spring practice (work on new formations, some particularly smart incoming signees already enrolled in school and can practice, getting a boost in development, chance of injuries if you decide to have a spring game, but if you DO have one, can increase alumni donations and loyalty, as well as be a showcase game where Class of '06 HS players check out your school, players who were injured in the season and can't practice, like Kregg Lumpkin, get minimal/no boost in development, )

May 2005: visits to high school spring practices to evaluate players (can't tell you how many recruiters I saw at Tucker's spring practice last year....probably 6 or 8 different D1 schools every day), find out if any of your returning players will be academically ineligible for 2005 season.

June 2005: summer training for current players and incoming freshmen, host summer camps for high schools (would give a BIG boost to attendees in both propensity to sign with you and in accurate evaluation of talent)

July 2005: new weight room, 40 times, etc. recorded for returning players and new players. (UGA usually does this the last week of July.), more summer camps to woo/evaluate 2006 recruits

August 2005: Practice! Players can potentially get injured, (see Kregg Lumpkin again...out for the year in '04 in a non-contact drill), potential for "breakout" players at this point (guys who perform well in practice unexpectedly), first "accurate" evaluation of football skills of incoming freshmen

September-December 2005: play games, host official visits, call players, go to high school games anywhere on off weeks (within budget), go to high school games within x number of miles of your location on game weeks...going to high school games increases likelihood of coming to your school, and gives you a more accurate picture of the player

Just wanted to echo those who really like this post. I'd really like to see these sort of things implemented in ANY college football game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:32 AM   #165
timmynausea
College Starter

Count me among the people that think the game, primarily recruiting, should be going all year just like real college football. Spring practice and/or fall camp like SkyDog described would be cool, too.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:11 AM   #166
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
True...but I'd want my ideal college football sim to explain the scenario to me somehow, so I'd understand that it WASN'T a bug.

"Ryan decided that, when it came right down to it, he knew that he'd never win a championship under Mack Brown."

I actually prefer this one: "This recruit wants immediate playing time, and is a bit concerned about the entrenched starter, a pre-season Heisman candidate"

Old 04-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #167
Ben E Lou

Don't recall seeing this in this thread, but I haven't read the whole thing in a while, so forgive me if it has already been mentioned, but it it this: it makes no sense for the in-season walk-ons to be absolutely *horrid* academically like they are. I mean, they got into college on their own academic merit, unlike the rest of the guys on the team.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:16 AM   #168
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Don't recall seeing this in this thread, but I haven't read the whole thing in a while, so forgive me if it has already been mentioned, but it it this: it makes no sense for the in-season walk-ons to be absolutely *horrid* academically like they are. I mean, they got into college on their own academic merit, unlike the rest of the guys on the team.

I release those guys until the computer gives me someone that is to my liking academically. I try to do it the moment they get on the roster to minimize the effect dumping them has on happiness scores. Is it gaming the system? Maybe. Am I the head coach? Yup.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:26 AM   #169
Ben E Lou

I've been doing some looking around at college rosters, and examining recruiting trends, and I'm convinced of something else that needs to change in TCY: too many recruits are going to far-away schools. My guess is that Prestige and Academics are valued too highly, and Distance too lowly. I've got a few anecdotal details in this post, as well as a couple of other posts in that thread, but in general, I've discovered that in real life even the elite teams get the huge majority of their players from in-state or nearby states. National Champion Southern Cal's roster shows only 16 of their 90 players coming from outside of California or Arizona. I'm looking at a TCY career at the beginning of 2013. 100-Prestige Florida has 38 of 81 players coming from outside of the Southeast. 99-Prestige Texas only has 28 of 83 players coming from Texas. In real life, only 12 of the 100+ players listed on the Longhorn roster come from outside of Texas--and several of those are from Louisiana and Oklahoma. There's not a single real-life Longhorn from the Northeast, or even the upper midwest or Great Lakes, yet the TCY Longhorns feature 20+ players from up that way. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is this: *far* fewer players go far away from home than is modeled in TCY. My suspicion is that there are a couple of things that need to change:

1. A higher percentage of the quality prospects need to come from the Big Five recruiting hotbed states. (California, Texas, Florida, Georgia and Ohio)--Schools in or nearby those states in particular should have enough players to fill 80-90% of their rosters with quality players. There's a reason why most of the top teams these days are from in or near the five states mentioned. Heck, even Utah had over half of the players on their roster from in-state. The vast majority of the out-of-staters (as in 70-80%)? California. I don't have the inkling to look up all of their 30-40 players from Cali, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of their California natives were 2-to-3-star prospects who didn't get offers from strong in-state schools.

2. Distance from home needs to be a *much* more important factor than it currently is. In the thread mentioned above, for example, I looked at Maryland's current current recruiting class, heralded as one of their best ever. The fact is that 18 of the 24 players signed are from close enough that mom and dad can drive to the game in the morning, and drive home that night. Of the six players not from nearby, all six are from the aforementioned "hotbed states": 4 from Florida, 1 from Georgia, 1 from California. Here's where it gets interesting, though. None of those six players got a significant offer from a solid in-state school. Three of the four Florida guys had offers from UCF, but nothing from Miami/Florida/FSU. The other three got no in-state offers whatsoever. I follow recruiting pretty closely, and I can assure you that this pattern is in no way unusual or unique. The inference is clear: the vast majority of kids who go far away from home do so not because they want to, but because they have to. Sure, a kid from Florida will pick the much-more-prestigious Maryland over UCF, but it is actually pretty rare in real life that a kid from Georgia would pick Maryland over, say, South Carolina, or that a non-elite prospect from New Jersey would ever get an offer from Texas. (Over half of the northeastern players on the TCY Texas squad were not even in the Top 30 players in the country for their position.)
Old 05-05-2005, 08:41 AM   #170
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
I've been doing some looking around at college rosters, and examining recruiting trends, and I'm convinced of something else that needs to change in TCY: too many recruits are going to far-away schools. My guess is that Prestige and Academics are valued too highly, and Distance too lowly. I've got a few anecdotal details in this post, as well as a couple of other posts in that thread, but in general, I've discovered that in real life even the elite teams get the huge majority of their players from in-state or nearby states. National Champion Southern Cal's roster shows only 16 of their 90 players coming from outside of California or Arizona. I'm looking at a TCY career at the beginning of 2013. 100-Prestige Florida has 38 of 81 players coming from outside of the Southeast. 99-Prestige Texas only has 28 of 83 players coming from Texas. In real life, only 12 of the 100+ players listed on the Longhorn roster come from outside of Texas--and several of those are from Louisiana and Oklahoma. There's not a single real-life Longhorn from the Northeast, or even the upper midwest or Great Lakes, yet the TCY Longhorns feature 20+ players from up that way. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is this: *far* fewer players go far away from home than is modeled in TCY. My suspicion is that there are a couple of things that need to change:

1. A higher percentage of the quality prospects need to come from the Big Five recruiting hotbed states. (California, Texas, Florida, Georgia and Ohio)--Schools in or nearby those states in particular should have enough players to fill 80-90% of their rosters with quality players. There's a reason why most of the top teams these days are from in or near the five states mentioned. Heck, even Utah had over half of the players on their roster from in-state. The vast majority of the out-of-staters (as in 70-80%)? California. I don't have the inkling to look up all of their 30-40 players from Cali, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of their California natives were 2-to-3-star prospects who didn't get offers from strong in-state schools.

2. Distance from home needs to be a *much* more important factor than it currently is. In the thread mentioned above, for example, I looked at Maryland's current current recruiting class, heralded as one of their best ever. The fact is that 18 of the 24 players signed are from close enough that mom and dad can drive to the game in the morning, and drive home that night. Of the six players not from nearby, all six are from the aforementioned "hotbed states": 4 from Florida, 1 from Georgia, 1 from California. Here's where it gets interesting, though. None of those six players got a significant offer from a solid in-state school. Three of the four Florida guys had offers from UCF, but nothing from Miami/Florida/FSU. The other three got no in-state offers whatsoever. I follow recruiting pretty closely, and I can assure you that this pattern is in no way unusual or unique. The inference is clear: the vast majority of kids who go far away from home do so not because they want to, but because they have to. Sure, a kid from Florida will pick the much-more-prestigious Maryland over UCF, but it is actually pretty rare in real life that a kid from Georgia would pick Maryland over, say, South Carolina, or that a non-elite prospect from New Jersey would ever get an offer from Texas. (Over half of the northeastern players on the TCY Texas squad were not even in the Top 30 players in the country for their position.)

I definitely agree that the recruiting pool needs to be based more on real-life production by state rather than population by state as it seems now.

I'm not sure what can be done about recruiting locally, since the recruiting universe of TCY is only about 60-70% of real life. Depending on the state, there are not a lot of good div-1 prospects to go around. More importantly, because of the game's skew towards academic success, it actually makes more sense (for the non-elite players) to recruit an academic performer from the other side of the country than an academically weaker in-state guy, which is the opposite of real life.

Perhaps a solution to that would be to balance the academic probation effects with a "homesickness" effect, where out of region players are more susceptible to leaving the program (especially when things don't go right for them). That way, just as you are taking a risk if you recruit a weak academic guy, you are also taking a risk if you recruit a guy from out of region who doesn't have "(distance)" as a preference. And perhaps the homesickness can be alleviated by giving them playing time or a coaching block or two... or something like that.

To get back to the in-state, out-of state: another problem is that elite programs don't have to recruit out of their geographic footprint, but non-elite programs do have to recruit nationally. So while that non-elite prospect from NJ won't get an offer from Texas, he will get offers from MAC and second tier Florida schools. I guess the program tries to balance the differences in recruiting now, but I guess it is just something very difficult to get just right.

Another difficulty arises when there are multiple schools of different prestige tiers in one state. In those cases the opposite (and just as unrealistic) effect is seen: because of the distance effect and the way prestige is accumulated, eventually elite players will, for example, choose a top MAC team (especially if it is local) over the in-state Big 10 school. I'm not sure how that can be tweaked, though...

Last edited by Klinglerware : 05-05-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:04 AM   #171
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I'm not sure what can be done about recruiting locally, since the recruiting universe of TCY is only about 60-70% of real life. Depending on the state, there are not a lot of good div-1 prospects to go around.
Well, my first thought on thatis that TCY was given some limitations (rightly, I think) probably due to the limitations of the average user's computer when it came out. I commented on this earlier in this thread--but nearly two years ago:
Quote:
When TCY came out, I was playing it on a P2, 475MHz machine with 128 Megs of RAM. I'm now playing on a P4, 2.4GHz, 512 Meg Ram machine. I wouldn't have wanted my system to handle a larger game back then, but my current system could easily handle a good bit more. I'll bet that is true for a whole lot of folks. Even if TCY2 is Jim's next project and comes out next year, my current 2.4GHz system will be an average-to-low-end setup, and I'd have NO problem running a significantly bigger game on it.
Now, nearly two years later, my 2.4GHz/512Meg RAM machine will be upgraded again before Solecismic's next release to something around 3.2Ghz/2Gigs. Recruiting classes in TCY were limited to only 16 players. TCY2 should be able to step it up to have real-life-sized recruiting classes and scholarship limits. It ran just fine on a 475MHz machine four years ago.

Quote:
More importantly, because of the game's skew towards academic success, it actually makes more sense (for the non-elite players) to recruit an academic performer from the other side of the country than an academically weaker in-state guy, which is the opposite of real life.
Absolutely. We'll see what Jim does with this, but it seems that the overwhelming sentiment is to make it truer-to-life, with academics seriously toned down.

Quote:
To get back to the in-state, out-of state: another problem is that elite programs don't have to recruit out of their geographic footprint, but non-elite programs do have to recruit nationally. So while that non-elite prospect from NJ won't get an offer from Texas, he will get offers from MAC and second tier Florida schools.
Agreed, but this also gets back to my thoughts on year-round recruiting. Ball State didn't bother to even begin to recruit Trey Buice, a 1.5ish star player from Tucker, until mid-to-late December. I'm guessing they know what I have just started to figure out: if MTSU or UAB or Troy State (or even Georgia Southern, probably) had offered Trey, he would have gone any of those places before Ball State, so no point in wasting resources on a kid until you get to the point where you know he's not going to get offers from nearby schools.

Quote:
Another difficulty arises when there are multiple schools of different prestige tiers in one state. In those cases the opposite (and just as unrealistic) effect is seen: because of the distance effect and the way prestige is accumulated, eventually elite players will, for example, chose a top MAC team (especially if it is local) over the in-state Big 10 school. I'm not sure how that can be tweaked, though...
That's where generic distance, rather than Regions or States, needs to come into play. Look at the rosters of Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee and Clemson in particular, and you'll see a decent number of players from Georgia and Florida. Those three-star guys from Ga/Fla that don't go to FSU/Miami/Florida/Tech/UGA shouldn't go to UCF; they should then be looking at other schools within driving distance. Maybe the stray 3-star kid from 'way down in Miami should go to UCF or USF sometimes, but a 3-star kid from Tallahassee needs to be looking *much* harder at Auburn or 'Bama than at UCF. It is one thing that concerns me about the "Region" system, actually. I wonder if, because Alabama is not in the same "Region" as Florida, that "Dist" kids from Northern Florida are picking UCF over Auburn or Alabama too often.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:06 AM   #172
st.cronin
General Manager

I like the conference prestige rating factor in FBCB - it could fix some issues I have with TCY.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:34 AM   #173
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
1. A higher percentage of the quality prospects need to come from the Big Five recruiting hotbed states. (California, Texas, Florida, Georgia and Ohio)

Is Pennsylvania no longer a school boy football hotbed? I know about Penn State's problems, but I always thought Pennsylvania poduced a bunch of players.

It seems out west that everybody gets their players from California.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:37 AM   #174
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
Is Pennsylvania no longer a school boy football hotbed? I know about Penn State's problems, but I always thought Pennsylvania poduced a bunch of players.

It seems out west that everybody gets their players from California.
PA has dropped off a bit. They used to rank ahead of Georgia and Ohio, but not any more. I'm pretty sure they're still in the Top 10, though.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:16 PM   #175
Ben E Lou

Heh. Some clown decided I was wrong about this at the Grey Dog boards, then posted data from the top recruits this past year completely supporting MY assertion (and claimed that "MOST" of the top recruits were national...) The numbers from the top guys of '05???

Stayed In-State: 38
Regional (adjacent and nearby states): 23
National: 15

So half of the guys on HIS list stayed in their home state, yet this guy claims that MOST of them are national. Unbelievable.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...ed=1#post23670
Old 05-05-2005, 11:51 PM   #176
Ben E Lou

Just looked at this season's Rivals 100, and a very similar breakdown there.

45 in-state
38 regional
17 national

NamePos.RatingHt/WtHometownSchools
1Derrick WilliamsATH6-0/189Greenbelt (MD) Eleanor RooseveltPenn State
World-class athlete racked up more than 3,000 all-purpose yards as a senior.
2Patrick TurnerWR6-5/210Nashville (TN) GoodpastureSouthern Cal
Has great height and speed and was unstoppable in Army All-American bowl practice.
3Eugene MonroeOL6-6/319Plainfield (NJ) Virginia
This strong, agile and smart blocker is the class of this year's offensive tackles.
4Melvin AlaezeDE6-2/277Randallstown (MD) Maryland
His size and strength are unrivaled by anybody at his position.
5Rey MaualugaLB6-2/253Eureka (CA) Southern Cal
He's tough, aggressive, has impressive speed and carries through every tackle.
6Fred RouseWR6-4/190Tallahassee (FL) LincolnFlorida State
An impact player on the outside with great size and 4.4 speed.
7Mark SanchezQB6-4/211Mission Viejo (CA) Southern Cal
The nation’s best quarterback shows poise, leadership and command of an offense.
8Martellus BennettTE6-7/237Alief (TX) TaylorTexas A&M
Tall and physical with the ability to split out like a receiver.
9Reginald YoungbloodOL6-5/280Houston (TX) WashingtonMiami-FL
His footwork is unmatched, and when he wants to get nasty, he’ll make you eat turf.
10Jonathan StewartRB5-10/224Lacey (WA) TimberlineOregon
At the Army All-American Bowl, Stewart showed why he will be special in college.
11DeMarcus GrangerDT6-3/315Dallas (TX) KimballOklahoma
Impossible to move off the line and can get from sideline to sideline.
12Kenneth PhillipsDB6-2/195Miami (FL) Carol CityMiami-FL
Has the ability to cover people in man-to-man situations and is deadly against the run.
13Marlon LuckyRB6-0/202North Hollywood (CA) Nebraska
Can take what looks like a loss and explode for a long touchdown scamper.
14Callahan BrightDT6-2/315Bryn Mawr (PA) HarritonFlorida State
When his motor is running, there isn’t a better defensive tackle in the nation.
15Jason GwaltneyRB6-0/234Long Island (NY) North BabylonWest Virginia
Speedy, tough back was offensive MVP for the East team at Army All-American bowl
16Ryan PerrillouxQB6-2/207Reserve (LA) East St. JohnLSU
Likely has the nation’s strongest arm and has improved his decision-making.
17Tray BlackmonLB6-0/200LaGrange (GA) Auburn
He has the speed, quickness and ability to make plays all over the field.
18DeSean JacksonWR5-11/170Long Beach (CA) PolyCalifornia
The star of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl with big plays on long bombs.
19Justin KingDB6-0/183Pittsburgh (PA) GatewayPenn State
He has the speed, size and great hips that you want in your impact cornerbacks.
20Alex BooneOL6-8/296Lakewood (OH) St. EdwardsOhio State
Big, physical lineman was solid for the East at the Army All-American bowl.
21Demetrice MorleyDB6-0/176Miami (FL) KillianTennessee
Talks plenty of smack on the field, but he's good enough to back it up.
22Kevin GradyRB5-10/230East Grand Rapids (MI) Michigan
Grady's nice burst of speed often is overlooked because of his great power.
23Darren McFaddenATH6-0/198Little Rock (AR) Pulaski Oak GroveArkansas
A strong runner that has silky smooth moves and the ability to cut on a dime.
24Jerrell PoweDT6-3/352Waynesboro (MS) Wayne CountyOle Miss
When he’s focused on football, there aren’t very many players in the nation better.
25Antone SmithRB5-8/181Pahokee (FL) Florida State
Smith has one of the most impressive lower bodies of any running back.
26Ryan ReynoldsLB6-2/216Las Vegas (NV) Bishop GormanOklahoma
Reynolds not only is built like a body builder, he’s extremely fast.
27Dan DoeringOL6-6/300Barrington (IL) Iowa
His footwork and technique are not matched by anybody in the nation.
28Victor HarrisATH6-0/185Highland Springs (VA) Virginia Tech
Virginia's top player could play on either side of the ball in college.
29Mohamed MassaquoiWR6-2/190Charlotte (NC) IndependenceGeorgia
He already looks like a junior in college and absolutely dominated at the Shrine Bowl.
30Derek NicholsonLB6-0/220Winston Salem (NC) Mt. TaborFlorida State
After seeing him twice in person, it is clear that he’s one of the nation’s elite players.
31Jamario O'NealDB6-1/190Cleveland (OH) GlenvilleOhio State
He looked much more natural at safety at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.
32Luthur Brown LB6-3/227Lakewood (CA) Southern Cal
Brown will be one of the top linebackers in the nation at the next level.
33Kade WestonDT6-5/315Red Bank (NJ) Georgia
Weston moves extremely well and comes off the ball fast for a guy his size.
34Roy MillerDT6-2/302Killeen (TX) ShoemakerTexas
Rivaled Patrick Turner as having the best week of work at the Army All-American Bowl.
35Derek PeguesDB5-10/183Batesville (MS) South PanolaMississippi State
Pegues was the only player to shut down Patrick Turner at the Army All-American Bowl.
36Eugene HayesLB6-2/206Greenville (FL) Madison CountyFlorida State
A tremendous burst to the ball will make Hayes a big-time player in college.
37Marques SlocumOL6-4/331Philadelphia (PA) West CatholicMichigan
He can be an impact player on the next level on offense or defense.
38Rico McCoyLB6-2/210Washington (D.C.) St. John's CollegeTennessee
Ripped up U.S. Army All-American bowl practices, as well as opposing ball carriers.
39Toney BakerRB5-10/218Jamestown (NC) RagsdaleNC State
A tough, straight-line runner who should be a great fit for N.C. State.
40Kyle MooreDE6-6/247Warner Robins (GA) Houston CountySouthern Cal
The explosive Moore is one of the most devastating pass rushers in the nation.
41Matt HardrickOL6-5/338Orlando (FL) EdgewaterFlorida State
A pancake king, he gets his whole frame going against smaller defensive linemen.
42James DavisRB6-0/207Atlanta (GA) DouglassClemson
Has the ability to turn his jets from zero to afterburner in the blink of an eye.
43Averell SpicerDE6-2/260Rancho Cucamonga (CA) Southern Cal
Spicer reminds people of Dwight Freeney, an undersized pass rusher with a great motor.
44Aleksey LanisOL6-5/313Los Angeles (CA) CrenshawUCLA
Originally from Russia, he can take over a game at offensive tackle when he decides to.
45Mario ManninghamWR6-0/174Warren (OH) HardingMichigan
Mario dominated JaMario O’Neal in a one-on-one match-up during a game this season.
46Will HarrisDB6-3/195Covina (CA) Charter OakSouthern Cal
One of the more dominating defensive backs in California his junior and senior seasons.
47Leon JacksonATH6-3/200Pasco (WA) PascoNebraska
Has a great frame and the ability to make big plays at big times.
48Michael OherOL6-5/330Memphis (TN) Briarcrest ChristianOle Miss
An aggressive run blocker, which should make him a success in the SEC for Ole Miss.
49Antonio BassATH6-1/194Jackson (MI) Michigan
Bass is a monster prospect at receiver, defensive back or a number of other spots.
50Chris ScottOL6-5/300Lovejoy (GA) Tennessee
Devastating when he pulls and heads up field to block.
51Ndamukong SuhDT6-4/278Portland (OR) GrantNebraska
When you get offers from Miami and Nebraska and you live in Oregon, you’re special.
52Anthony MoeakiTE6-4/250Wheaton (IL) Wheaton SouthIowa
Moeaki is big, strong and physical in running situations and runs great routes.
53Brian CushingLB6-4/216Oradell (NJ) Bergen CatholicSouthern Cal
Once he refines his game, he has a shot at being something special in college.
54Dace RichardsonOL6-6/300Wheaton (IL) Wheaton SouthIowa
One of the more athletic offensive tackles in the nation, plain and simple.
55Dajleon FarrTE6-6/235Galena Park (TX) North ShoreMiami-FL
Farr is an amazing blocker in the running game and has a great attitude.
56Travis BeckumLB6-5/220Oak Creek (WI) Wisconsin
Had an impressive week of work at the U.S Army All-American Bowl.
57Jamaal CharlesRB6-1/185Port Arthur (TX) MemorialTexas
Had a monster senior season after missing the first few games because of an injury.
58Ekom UdofiaDT6-1/288Scottsdale (AZ) ChaparralStanford
When he’s healthy he’s an overpowering force who can take over a game.
59Ricky Jean-FrancoisDE6-3/241Miami (FL) Carol CityLSU
Great athlete with a shot put throw of more than 60 feet and a discus throw of 165.
60Jonathan CromptonQB6-3/211Waynesville (NC) TuscolaTennessee
Great size, a solid arm, ability to put the ball in the right spot and a quick release.
61Al JonesDE6-2/236New Orleans (LA) St. AugustineLSU
He’s explosive off the ball and his first step is one of the best in the Southeast.
62Curtis LoftonLB6-1/225Kingfisher (OK) Oklahoma
A heat-seeking missile at linebacker and the top player in Oklahoma.
63Curtis CrouchOL6-6/322Fayetteville (NC) E.E. SmithNC State
One of the most aggressive, physical and strongest prospects in the nation.
64Reggie SmithDB6-1/190Edmond (OK) Santa FeOklahoma
Has the size, speed, hips and coverage ability to be a shutdown cover corner.
65Justin MinceyDE6-5/240Folkston (GA) Charlton CountyFlorida State
Has a great ability to get his hands up in the air to bat down passes.
66Jamie RobinsonDB6-2/185Rock Hill (SC) NorthwesternFlorida State
A monster senior season and stellar Shrine Bowl week make Robinson an elite prospect.
67C.J. ByrdATH6-3/185North Augusta (SC) Georgia
Size and speed give Byrd the ability to make big plays all over the field.
68Malcolm KellyWR6-4/200Longview (TX) Oklahoma
A gamebreaker at receiver, he’s tall, strong and fast.
69Henry MeltonATH6-3/275Grapevine (TX) Texas
An amazing athlete, Melton projects at a number of different positions – even running back.
70Kevin ThomasDB6-0/166Oxnard (CA) Rio MesaSouthern Cal
Showed a great nose for the football at the Army All-American Bowl.
71LaMarcus CokerRB5-10/184Antioch (TN) Tennessee
A true all-purpose back, he can outrun you, run over you and catch the ball.
72Selwyn LymonWR6-4/190Fort Wayne (IN) HardingPurdue
Headed to Purdue, Lymon might be the most underrated receiver in the nation.
73Roy UpchurchRB6-0/195Tallahassee (FL) GodbyAlabama
Upchurch racked up more than 2,500 yards and 27 touchdowns as a senior.
74Keenan ClaytonDB6-2/205Sulphur Springs (TX) Oklahoma
Reminds some of former Oklahoma safety standout Roy Williams, high praise indeed.
75Bryan EvansDB6-0/175Jacksonville (FL) Ed WhiteGeorgia
Super cover man out of Jacksonville will be a good one for the Georgia Bulldogs.
76Phillip DillardLB6-2/247Jenks (OK) Nebraska
Had a great senior year for one of the most storied programs in high school football.
77Eric HugginsWR6-3/186Conway (SC) Oklahoma
Tall, rangy wideout is deadly on slip screens and has deceptive speed.
78Everette BrownDE6-4/238Wilson (NC) BeddingfieldFlorida State
Brown plays like a linebacker with his sideline-to-sideline pursuit of the football.
79Josh McNeilOL6-4/290Collins (MS) Tennessee
Top center had a solid weel at the Army All-American bowl for the West.
80Doug WorthingtonDE6-7/256Athol Springs (NY) St. FrancisOhio State
Worthington has an amazing frame and an even better motor.
81Michael ShumardOL6-5/290Killeen (TX) Harker HeightsTexas A&M
Battled Roy Miller and took him to task during a prep game this season.
82Courtney HarrisDE6-4/230Jupiter (FL) Miami-FL
Harris was listed as the top defensive end on one major national power’s board.
83Cory ZirbelOL6-7/301Murray (KY) Michigan
Made a name for himself this summer at both Michigan and Miami’s summer camps.
84Avery AtkinsDB5-11/182Daytona Beach (FL) MainlandFlorida
A strong showing at the CaliFlorida Bowl further proved that Atkins was an elite corner.
85Anthony FelderLB6-3/225Seattle (WA) O'DeaCalifornia
With his athleticism, it’s easy to see why many teams were fighting for his commitment.
86Carlos ThomasWR5-11/165College Park (GA) BannekerSouth Carolina
Emerged on the national scene when he blew up at the Atlanta NIKE Training Camp.
87Spencer AdkinsLB6-0/228Naples (FL) Miami-FL
Napes, Fla., coach Bill Kramer says Adkins is strong, smart and a hard worker.
88O.J. MurdockWR6-0/178Tampa (FL) Middleton South Carolina
Blessed with great speed, his upside may be better than any receiver in the nation.
89Jake ChristensenQB6-0/200Lockport (IL) Iowa
Has a strong ability to read defenses and is a great leader.
90Rashard MendenhallRB6-0/190Skokie (IL) Niles WestIllinois
One of the best running backs to come out of Illinois in the last 10 years.
91Chris KeysDB6-2/210Stevenson (AL) North JacksonAlabama
A transfer kept him off the field as a senior, but he's still an elite prospect.
92Aaron WareATH6-0/180Westlake Village (CA) Oaks ChristianUCLA
Has the ability to star at running back or anywhere in the secondary in college.
93Deveon SimmonsLB6-0/221Virginia Beach (VA) LandstownVirginia Tech
Has an ability to always be near the football with his good speed
94Nic HarrisDB6-2/208Alexandria (LA) Oklahoma
Has the size and the frame to project either as a safety or an outside linebacker.
95Paul FreeneyDE6-3/229Aldine (TX) EisenhowerTexas A&M
When he’s chasing down the quarterback, he is relentless.
96Terrance TaylorDT6-1/285Muskegon (MI) Michigan
Powerful with a bench press of more than 400 pounds and a squat of 625.
97Kalvin BaileyRB5-11/245Seffner (FL) ArmwoodIowa
At least five SEC recruiting coordinators had Bailey at the top of their fullback wish list.
98James McKinneyDT6-2/277Louisville (KY) CentralMichigan
When his motor is running, there might not be a better tackle in the country.
99Jonathan HannahTE6-4/251Hope Mills (NC) South ViewSouth Carolina
A smart tight end who could also excel as an offensive tackle on the next level.
100Montario HardestyATH6-0/190New Bern (NC) Tennessee
Many love him at running back, but he could also be an All-American safety.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:04 AM   #177
Ben E Lou

Oh yes, and 12 players from the 2006 Rivals 100 have made verbal commitments. How many of those are to in-state schools, you ask?

http://uga.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1100
Old 05-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #178
Ben E Lou

Another thought: "play for winner" ratings--not just in terms of recruiting, but in terms of performance. Have guys who come from elite high schools have a higher chance of getting discouraged and not developing as well if they have a 3-8 season, for example. This thought came to me after a conversation this week with a highly-regarded prospect's dad. As he was talking about the unlikely prospect of his son going somewhere without a strong winning tradition, he commented that the kid has no idea what it is like to go 3-8. Tucker is 36-4 since he's been in high school; his middle school team went 6-0, and his dad said his teams rarely lost in youth league football as well. He doesn't think Asher has lost more than 7 or 8 football games in his entire life, and he's not sure how he'd respond to losing that many in a single year. For some guys from winning programs, have them bring in a winning "mindset" if they go to a losing program, but for others, have the losing mindset of his school to really drag him down.

It would be cool to have a couple of 3-star prospects from top-flight high schools go to, say, Memphis, and really make a big difference because they bring a winning attitude with them.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #179
Ben E Lou

Oh, and let me spead agreement with those who have mentioned: more feedback. If, for example, a "play for winner" situation was included in the game, it would be nice to receive an e-mail saying, "Your defense is playing over its head this year, and most people credit it to LB Harry Jackson and DT Jared Coleman. Not only are they leaders by example on the field, but they both brought refuse-to-lose attitudes with them from their championship days in high school." or, if FOF2K4-style chemistry is included: "LG Jonas Whitfield is under-performing, and your line coach believes it is because he's distracted by his feud with LT Nathan Simpson."
Old 05-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #180
mhass
High School Varsity

I would also love to see some more development along the lines of the high school rankings that are included. For instance, if Mendota, IL is #14 in the country, let me double click on it to see the recruits from there, get coach's opinions/advice on his players, etc. If the high school coach says, RB Marvin Wyatt is a bruising runner but can't find a hole without a FB in front of him and I run a single-back formation, I know to stay away.

A high school coach could say "RG Lawrence Filcher is really a pulling, trapping kind of guard. You should check out my LG Henry Cimoli even though he's lower rated. Cimoli is a pure pass blocker for your run-and-shoot style." This can build the high school "ties" or relationships others have mentioned previously that set up the pipelines colleges have today.

I suppose the general recruiting process could divulge the same information, but high school coaches would understand the players better. I might also expand the 'system' aspect in the season as well. e.g., Off. Coord. Davis says that QB Terry Closman is not picking up the wishbone like we hoped. It may be time to try Dishman since he ran the option in high school.

Or, "In a coaches meeting after Saturday's game, TE coach Lawson said that TE Williams has missed a key block for the last time. He's demanding he be benched or the offensive system be adjusted."

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:45 AM   #181
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
PA has dropped off a bit. They used to rank ahead of Georgia and Ohio, but not any more. I'm pretty sure they're still in the Top 10, though.

That's my biggest concern with "hard coding" the current big five in college recruiting into TCY--it has changed and will change. I think we all play TCY careers of 10+ years, at a minium. Shouldn't adapting to trends and changes in recruiting be a part of the game, not just "I'll go to the big five states for all my recruiting needs, even if IRL California has had a series of earthquakes and tsunamis and now has a population of 2.5 million?"

Also, it makes for a more enjoyable game for me (and otheres outside the current big five states, I bet) to have good players come from out home states or the states we've decided to use for our TCY careers. The fundamental reason we begin careers at our alma maters is to alter reality, so why worry about a recruiting detail that we all know is going to change in five years?
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #182
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants
That's my biggest concern with "hard coding" the current big five in college recruiting into TCY--it has changed and will change. I think we all play TCY careers of 10+ years, at a minium. Shouldn't adapting to trends and changes in recruiting be a part of the game, not just "I'll go to the big five states for all my recruiting needs, even if IRL California has had a series of earthquakes and tsunamis and now has a population of 2.5 million?"

Also, it makes for a more enjoyable game for me (and otheres outside the current big five states, I bet) to have good players come from out home states or the states we've decided to use for our TCY careers. The fundamental reason we begin careers at our alma maters is to alter reality, so why worry about a recruiting detail that we all know is going to change in five years?
Ummmm...it has *barely* changed in the last couple of decades, and maybe longer than that. My guess is that it hasn't changed much at all since integration. PA is no longer in the Top 5, but it is #6. The last list I saw just had PA and GA switching places between number 5 and number 6.

As far as the other argument, that goes waaaaayyyy back to the discussion in 2001 on expectations of TCY. Many people's expectation was that you'd start out in an SC8 school, and the best you'd be able to do would be build it up to the best SC8 school. After 5-10 seasons there, you'd get an offer from a Marshall or a Troy St. You'd build that school up to contending for the conference title every year, and maybe crack the Top 25 every now and then and pull off a major upset once or twice, but you'd still have a ceiling, due to resources, on how high you could go. From Marshall, you might get an offer at an Iowa St or Kentucky: crappy team in a BCS conference. Build them up, maybe win a conference title once in a blue moon, but you still be unable to be a 100-Prestige kind of school unless you stayed there 20+ years. The idea would be for it to be more like FBCB: yeah, you can take Savannah State to the top, but it is gonna take you 40+ years. Right now in TCY, you can take an SC8 team to the Top 10 in a decade or so.

So, yeah, I have no problem with a school outside of the major recruiting centers becoming dominant, but I'd want it to look like real life: it would take at least 15-20 years before you could get kids outside of your sphere of influence to come play for you on a regular basis. Plus, I'm not suggesting that NO good players should come out of the major recruiting centers; they should, and they do. I'm just suggesting that they should be much more rare. It is very annoying to see a perennial bottom feeder produce top prospect after top prospect.

Bottom line: acquiring real-life national data on top high school programs wouldn't be terribly difficult. (Heck, calpreps.com has nearly every single high school in America ranked.) For those that don't want to use it, just like TCY currently has an option to use random prestige and random academics, you add an option to "Randomize High School Prestige" for those that want that to happen.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #183
Ben E Lou

More on recruiting...

I just had a long conversation with Minnesota Defensive Coordinator David Lockwood. I asked him, without prompting in either direction, two questions: "Where does a college staff spend more time--studying and preparing for the opposition, or recruiting?" and "What's more important to a college program: how well they recruit, or how well they prepare and evaluate?" The answers to both questions were pretty much as I suspected they'd be--*HEAVILY* slanted toward the recruiting side of things. He said one thing that surprised me a bit, and that I'd really like to see integrated into TCY2: they recruit on Friday nights both on home game weekends AND on road game weekends. He said that in most programs, the head coach and the offensive and defensive coordinators meet on Friday nights to go over last minute details of game plans, etc., but that pretty much every assistant fans out to high school games. He said if they're playing at Ohio State, they'll send assistant coaches, scouts and grad assistants out so that they see a dozen or so different games anywhere within a 3 or 4 hour drive of OSU on that night. Because they do this, they spend a significant amount of time during each week not worrying about the opposition's schemes or their own prep, but simply on mapping out who goes where that week. He repeated the same mantra several times as we talked about it: "Game plans and schemes don't matter if you don't have the players. Players are *everything* (his emphasis) in the college game." As far as the offseason, he said that pretty much all he does is recruiting-related, (as was clearly evidenced by the fact that Minnesota's Defensive Coordinator spent nearly 3 hours watching just one team practice all the way down in Georgia today.)

How could this play out in TCY2? Ideas (some of which aren't new, I know...)

• Recruiting costs for the week based on location of that week's game.
  • Recruiting budget much more heavily tied to Prestige--if you're Miami (FL) playing at Texas, you can afford a significantly larger staff to canvass the area near Austin on Friday night than if you're Central Florida playing a Texas.
  • slight carryover of recruiting points from one season to the next...yeah, Minnesota won't land Asher Allen, but because Lockwoood showed up today, he established a connection with the Tucker coaching staff--a connection that won't just be completely reset to zero next season.
  • I keep coming back to the thought of a month-to-month calendar. Heck, if people wanted to spread out their in-season recruiting, then have it where in-season recruiting tasks only have to be done once per month. You could just save everything up and use it at the end of the month, (We played twice in Athens this month, once in Lexington, and once in Baton Rouge, so we get 2x worth of recruiting points with Athens as the focal point, x worth of recruiting points with Lexington as the focal point, and x worth of recruiting points with Baton Rouge as the focal point.), or you could do a little bit every week.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:35 PM   #184
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
3 Eugene Monroe OL 6-6/319 Plainfield (NJ) Virginia
This strong, agile and smart blocker is the class of this year's offensive tackles.

Good to see Cardinals representing.

It's so bizarre that my hometown has magically become a hotbed for football talent over the past decade. In the 80s and early 90s, we never sent anyone anywhere.

Now, there are at least a dozen kids from PHS at D-1 schools and that's in the last 5-7 years. A recent NFL draft pick, players on national championship teams.

It's sooo bizarre, especially for such a small school. (1,600 students)
Old 05-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #185
Buccaneer
Head Coach

With much more powerful PCs being the norm now, I don't see any reason why Jim (or GD) couldn't switch from an unrealistic region-based Visit Cost to a realistic locale-based one. I believe the size of the tables and the processing of such have gone up a magnitude since the original TCY.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:25 PM   #186
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
[*]slight carryover of recruiting points from one season to the next...yeah, Minnesota won't land Asher Allen, but because Lockwoood showed up today, he established a connection with the Tucker coaching staff--a connection that won't just be completely reset to zero next season.
I really like this concept. Not only do you recruit individual players, but you develop relationships with high schools and form "pipelines" or at least get your foot in the door.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #187
st.cronin
General Manager

You know how in TCY you get a message saying 'player x doesn't like your defensive coordinator'? How about 'player x's high school coach doesn't trust you to do what's best for player x' and 'player x's high school coach feels good about the possibility of player x playing for you.' It could be based on previous recruiting trips - if a player from that school started for you, that would make the coach like you. If you had previously revoked a scholarship, that would go against you.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #188
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
You know how in TCY you get a message saying 'player x doesn't like your defensive coordinator'? How about 'player x's high school coach doesn't trust you to do what's best for player x' and 'player x's high school coach feels good about the possibility of player x playing for you.' It could be based on previous recruiting trips - if a player from that school started for you, that would make the coach like you. If you had previously revoked a scholarship, that would go against you.

That's a pretty good idea--HS coaches seem to have a bit of influence on recruiting decisions...
Old 07-01-2005, 10:06 PM   #189
Izulde
Head Coach

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I just wanted to bump this and add that I really really really really *really* want the ability to add, edit, delete, or otherwise customize recruits.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:14 PM   #190
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I want a create your own universe for college football.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:55 PM   #191
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Grr...fooled again.
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:12 AM   #192
RoastDuck
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
With much more powerful PCs being the norm now, I don't see any reason why Jim (or GD) couldn't switch from an unrealistic region-based Visit Cost to a realistic locale-based one. I believe the size of the tables and the processing of such have gone up a magnitude since the original TCY.

Would love to know if Jim concurs with this. IRMC he has a policy of testing the performance of his products on a cranky old machine. As you say, clock speeds have increased substantially since TCY was launched and data processing should not be such an issue now.
RoastDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:23 PM   #193
Ben E Lou

Bump/sticky in light of 12/16 announcement.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:30 PM   #194
Airhog
Captain Obvious

If you could combine the immersiveness of the world of FM, with a game like BBCF or TCY, I would never leave the house.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #195
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
If you could combine the immersiveness of the world of FM, with a game like BBCF or TCY, I would never leave the house.

I think I would starve to death.

knives out
Old 12-16-2005, 09:35 PM   #196
33sherman
Mascot

Go TCY2!
33sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:36 PM   #197
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I think I would starve to death.

Well what if the new version cooks for you too?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #198
cartman
Death Herald

Gawddangit,

Good thing I upgraded my ISP account so I'd have enough bandwidth and storage to run a BBCF and a TCY2 league....

Old 12-16-2005, 09:42 PM   #199
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
Well what if the new version cooks for you too?

That would be great. But then I would go insane from not sleeping, and lose all my friends because I stopped showering.

knives out
Old 12-16-2005, 09:42 PM   #200
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

You go to hell... You go to hell and you die!!!

(sorry, I slipped out of character for a sec... )