Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #151
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Not Romo's fault at the end but throwing 16 times at Champ? Really?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #152
hoopsguy
General Manager

Not sure why they kept throwing at Bailey or to Hurd ... could that really have been the best option for the Cowboys?

I'm amazed that the Broncos are 4-0.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #153
henry296
College Starter

Was Williams hurt, I saw him on the sideline, but had no sound on.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #154
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Was Williams hurt, I saw him on the sideline, but had no sound on.

They didn't announce anything, but I'd surprised if he didn't have at least some bruised ribs on a shot he received earlier in the 4th quarter.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #155
TroyF
Coordinator

Roy took a shot in the fourth quarter. Ribs had to be hurting badly.

As a Denver Broncos fan, I'm stunned. I fully expected to go 4-12 or 5-11 this year. Forget the fluke win at Cincy, this defense is for real. Four games, 26 points allowed. They allowed 315 yards today, and only allowed the vaunted Cowboys running game to a 3.0 yards per carry.

I still don't think this is a Super Bowl contender. They could easily still lose their next four games. Romo was off a lot of the day. Orton still sucks. But it looks to me like this defense will give Denver a chance to win most of their games.

The most exciting thing for me today was Ayers. Only a couple of tackles on the stat sheet, but he was all over the field. As pissed off as I was over the Cutler fiasco, I said I'd give Josh McD a chance. He's got this team playing good ball.

Oh. . . and for you NFC East fans. . . I always knew Dawkins was a special player. But watching this guy game in, game out, I'm amazed at how good he is.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #156
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Oh. . . and for you NFC East fans. . . I always knew Dawkins was a special player. But watching this guy game in, game out, I'm amazed at how good he is.

Philly letting him go is one of my biggest disappointments. He's still one of my favorite players.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #157
TroyF
Coordinator

One more thing about things I saw today:

The Sanchez diving at the legs play was one of the single cheapest plays I've seen in the NFL. If Sanchez was running down the field on some reverse and a defender with no chance to make the tackle cut him, the offending party could be expected to miss next weeks game at a minimum.

The league wants to protect QB's. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. They damned well should send a message to the rest of the league that a QB cheap shotting another player won't be acceptable either. I still like the guy and I'm sure it came out of frustration. . . but that cannot be tolerated on a football field.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #158
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

I can't believe Denver is 4-0. I know the bubble will burst at some point but for now I am enjoying the ride. I am not going to go as far as saying Orton sucks. Is he great? No. Is he good? That's even stretching it. I would say that he is....ok and hasn't hurt them. He hasn't thrown a pick this year and his QB rating is or was around 90. Now perhaps if he took more shots downfield he would turn it over more and yes he hasn't put up alot of passing yards but I still wouldn't say he sucks.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #159
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm not a Bronco fan but seriously Mcd has this team bonding together and playing good ball. There schedule doesn't get any easier, but they have easily surpassed my expectations and the Defense is golden! I'm really rooting for them in the AFC now, good story.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #160
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Good for Orton. Always had a soft spot for the guy when the Badgers knocked him out of the Heisman race years back.

4-0 for a guy nobody really gave a shot.
Great throw? Looked like the usual Orton to me -- completely under the WR which surprised the DB and Marshall was able to adjust and make the catch. Orton was "trying" to throw a jump ball for Marshall to use his height to out jump the receiver. If the defender tried to just knock the ball down, that pass is incomplete -- went right past his hands. Great play by Marshall. Go figure that the best player on that team making plays is the guy the coach wants to get rid of.

I readily admit I'm looking at this through anti-orange tinted glasses because I dislike the Broncos so much, but how is this team 4-0? Pure luck, I realize -- Cincy, Cleveland and Oakland aren't exactly murderer's row. This game is in Big D and I think Dallas wins by a couple of scores, and I don't think Dallas is very good right now either.

But 4-0 will give them confidence and that will probably propel them to some more wins. But this has to be one of the luckiest 4-0 teams I've ever seen, from the blooper-worthy win over the Bangles to stumbling past the Cowboys today.

Cue Troy to tell me why I'm full of crap and the Broncos are in fact better than the '07 Patriots and '72 Dolphins -- combined.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #161
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
As a Denver Broncos fan, I'm stunned. I fully expected to go 4-12 or 5-11 this year. Forget the fluke win at Cincy, this defense is for real. Four games, 26 points allowed. They allowed 315 yards today, and only allowed the vaunted Cowboys running game to a 3.0 yards per carry.

I still don't think this is a Super Bowl contender. They could easily still lose their next four games. Romo was off a lot of the day. Orton still sucks. But it looks to me like this defense will give Denver a chance to win most of their games.
C'mon, stop being realistic. You're making me look like a dick now.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #162
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

The cowboys were leading the entire NFL in rushing going in to this game.

And I agree, I have no idea what they were thinking throwing at champ so much. You don't pick on Champ, Champ picks on you.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #163
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
One more thing about things I saw today:

The Sanchez diving at the legs play was one of the single cheapest plays I've seen in the NFL. If Sanchez was running down the field on some reverse and a defender with no chance to make the tackle cut him, the offending party could be expected to miss next weeks game at a minimum.

The league wants to protect QB's. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. They damned well should send a message to the rest of the league that a QB cheap shotting another player won't be acceptable either. I still like the guy and I'm sure it came out of frustration. . . but that cannot be tolerated on a football field.
It was a cheap play but I don't think it was intentional. I think it was a rookie QB who has probably never tackled anyone in his life trying not to look bad and ... ending up looking bad.

And it wasn't anywhere near as cheap as the shot Favre put on Eugene Wilson in the preseason. If Sanchez gets fined as much as Favre did, it'll be another case of the NFL cutting a veteran slack and punishing a kid. I'm sure the ass-chewing Sanchez will get from his team will drill the message home.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #164
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Also just another stat I noticed. Elvis Dumervil is a beast the last 3 weeks. 8 sacks in 3 games. lol thats awesome.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #165
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
It was a cheap play but I don't think it was intentional. I think it was a rookie QB who has probably never tackled anyone in his life trying not to look bad and ... ending up looking bad.

And it wasn't anywhere near as cheap as the shot Favre put on Eugene Wilson in the preseason. If Sanchez gets fined as much as Favre did, it'll be another case of the NFL cutting a veteran slack and punishing a kid. I'm sure the ass-chewing Sanchez will get from his team will drill the message home.

actually i'm pretty sure Sanchez did the same exact thing against Houston in week 1
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #166
Swaggs
Coordinator

Woah! Carey Davis is back w/ the Steelers?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #167
henry296
College Starter

I really don't think Wallace got his second foot down on that catch on the sideline.

As for Davis, he was signed this week since both fullbacks were hurt.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #168
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

sour grapes from Ravens players complaining about the officials during the game - the roughing the passer calls were what they were - the Pats also had one that was pretty minimal that they got flagged for, so they were just calling that tight.

as for the spots - on the 4th and 1 by McGahee he was NOWHERE near a first down, and it was never clear that on the fake-FG (that was nullified by a penalty anyways) that the spot would have gotten them a first down.

Baltimore Ravens criticize referees for perceived slights by referees vs. Patriots - ESPN Boston
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #169
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Great throw? Looked like the usual Orton to me -- completely under the WR which surprised the DB and Marshall was able to adjust and make the catch. Orton was "trying" to throw a jump ball for Marshall to use his height to out jump the receiver. If the defender tried to just knock the ball down, that pass is incomplete -- went right past his hands. Great play by Marshall. Go figure that the best player on that team making plays is the guy the coach wants to get rid of.

I readily admit I'm looking at this through anti-orange tinted glasses because I dislike the Broncos so much, but how is this team 4-0? Pure luck, I realize -- Cincy, Cleveland and Oakland aren't exactly murderer's row. This game is in Big D and I think Dallas wins by a couple of scores, and I don't think Dallas is very good right now either.

But 4-0 will give them confidence and that will probably propel them to some more wins. But this has to be one of the luckiest 4-0 teams I've ever seen, from the blooper-worthy win over the Bangles to stumbling past the Cowboys today.

Cue Troy to tell me why I'm full of crap and the Broncos are in fact better than the '07 Patriots and '72 Dolphins -- combined.

I didn't say anything about Orton's throw...

*shrug*

I was just saying that I had a soft spot for the guy. I know he isn't all that but the guy was traded for Cutler and it seems to have worked out for both sides...... so far.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #170
henry296
College Starter

DT - On the fake FG, if he was short, then Baltimore declines penalty and the Patriots don't get 3 points and then they could've tied instead of going forward on 4th down. I didn't see the replays, but it was an important call.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #171
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Where's the defense? Jeezus
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #172
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

He wasn't short. The announcer thought he was short but there was no way he was short, lol
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #173
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
sour grapes from Ravens players complaining about the officials during the game - the roughing the passer calls were what they were - the Pats also had one that was pretty minimal that they got flagged for, so they were just calling that tight.

as for the spots - on the 4th and 1 by McGahee he was NOWHERE near a first down, and it was never clear that on the fake-FG (that was nullified by a penalty anyways) that the spot would have gotten them a first down.

Baltimore Ravens criticize referees for perceived slights by referees vs. Patriots - ESPN Boston

Somehow, I knew who the quoted Raven would be before I read the article.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #174
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
DT - On the fake FG, if he was short, then Baltimore declines penalty and the Patriots don't get 3 points and then they could've tied instead of going forward on 4th down. I didn't see the replays, but it was an important call.

An interview with referee Ron Winters, from the Patriots:
The Patriots attempted a fake field goal with 7:18 left in the fourth quarter. Punter Chris Hanson complete a four yard pass to tight end Chris Baker for four yards. But Baker was called for illegal motion. Here is where it gets funny.

Q: What were the Ravens challenging on the fake field goal?
RW: The Ravens were challenging that the pass should have been called incomplete.

Q: Why did the illegal motion penalty not override that challenge?
RW: If it had been an incomplete pass, then they would have declined the penalty and they would have taken the ball at the previous spot. Baltimore would have – because it was fourth down [and an] incomplete pass – so they would have gotten the ball 1st-and-10 at the previous spot. So that’s why they challenged that, to determine whether or not it was in fact a completed pass. When we found out it was a completed pass, then the illegal motion penalty kicks in. [That] takes it back, so they have to repeat the down …. It was a fourth down. [He] caught the pass [and it was] good for a first down.

Q: So [Baltimore] challenged if [New England] had caught the ball?
RW: That’s right.

Q: Should the play have been spotted and measured before the challenge?
RW: There was no indisputable evidence to indicate that the ball was not a first down. We looked at that to see if it was in fact a first down. We couldn't determine that from the replay. So the ruling on the field would stand in that regard.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-04-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #175
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
C'mon, stop being realistic. You're making me look like a dick now.

You did that yourself. Luckiest 4-0 team in history? And then trying to take away the Cowboy win as though Dallas lost it and Denver didn't deserve it? Get a grip.

At best, you could say Dallas played Denver to a draw. I know, Romo missed receivers. The Broncos 5 sacks, holding the running game to 3 yards a carry and constant pressure didn't have anything to do with that, right?

They had a lucky win at Cincy. They blew out Cleveland and the Raiders. They could easily finish the year 6-10. . . but that wouldn't take a thing away from three of this teams wins, especially the one today.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #176
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Sigh
Old 10-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #177
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

haha - funny comment from the KSK comments - to be clear, not mine at all, i just like the bolded part

Quote:
I love it. Broken record from ‘07 when they lost to Patriots in Baltimore. Even when teams actually do get screwed by bad officiating it makes them players, fans, and media who whine about it sound like 8 year old bitches with scraped knees.

This is even worse because it looked to me like there was 1 bad roughing the passer call- and maybe 1 bad spot. That’s it. The second roughing the passer call was so blatant it was the first time I’ve ever agreed with the new diving below the knees rule. The first roughing the passer call was lame- but the Patriots got called for the same thing, hitting the QB’s head, on a 3rd down earlier in the game so thats a wash. So really- they’re bitching about 1 bad spot- so shut the fuck up.

If I were a reporter listening to Ray Lewis bitch I’d respond every time with, “Yeah well, you were complicit in the fatal stabbing of two people, and never served a day in jail, so… like Karma dude, you know?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-04-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #178
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

LOL
Old 10-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #179
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

SHIT the Chargers forgot to put the Stickum on there receiver gloves this week! ARG
Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #180
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Yeah why not go for it on fourth and inches on their own 30 right?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #181
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

well the good thing about this is Rivers is on my fantasy team(s) and they are gonna most likely air it out in the 2nd half. GO RIVERS!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #182
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Hope Norv Turner has a hell of a half time speech ready but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #183
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Live Drew Brees with Bob Costas and the undefeated Saints... Ugh.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #184
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
well the good thing about this is Rivers is on my fantasy team(s) and they are gonna most likely air it out in the 2nd half. GO RIVERS!!!
You should be OK, as long as your league does not subtract points for Ints.

I would not be surprised to see 5 sacks and 3 ints in the second half by the Steelers defense.

I wonder how much Ray Lewis is going to get fined for his comments?
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 10-04-2009 at 09:02 PM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #185
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
You should be OK, as long as your league does not subtract points for Ints.

I would not be surprised to see 5 sacks and 3 ints in the second half by the Steelers defense.

I wonder how much Ray Lewis is going to get fined for his comments?

Hopefully he doesnt. That call was beyond horrible.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #186
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Huh? it was cheap but unintentional? OK, pray tell me what exactly was Sanchez trying to do? You said he'd never made a tackle so he didn't know how. . . um, he's not so daft that he has to learn that when making a tackle you have to hit the guy WHO HAS THE BALL is he?

He went after Vilma with a clear intent to injure. I think Sapp hitting the defenseless OL a few years ago was a cheap shot. Sanchez was right in line with that.

I'm not saying we chop his nuts off and hang em from the upper deck, but I am saying he needs a very stiff fine with the threat of suspension so that never happens again. Vilma could have had his season with that shot. This isn't a minor deal IMHO.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #187
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Chargers need a Glee dance to get back in the game.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #188
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

The receivers aren't helping Rivers out much. With the exception of Gates.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #189
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dola, I love Rivers to Gates, that connection is my fantasy team.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #190
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I fucking LOVE you Rivers to Gates!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #191
henry296
College Starter

Speaking of fantasy, I'm playing Rodgers, Peterson, Harvin and Jennings tomorrow. I still have Big Ben tonight. I think I need at least a 50 point lead.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #192
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

yea, at least. Peterson could go off. Harvin has been a td a game so far, Jennings and Rodgers might not do great but probably average.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #193
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

They had a free preview of the Red Zone channel today on Comcast (at least the one have). It was awesome.

I may pick it up the sports package just to get it. It's only $8 a month, which comes out to about $2 a Sunday. I'd pay $2 for that. Given that I get the Lions' games via the local feed, based on my experience with the NFL Sunday Ticket, the Red Zone Channel is a very, very good proxy for having all the games.

Now just to sneak it by Lady H_B who is already none to thrilled (rightfully so) with our ridiculous cable bill.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #194
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
But I guess I should be disappointed with this 38-10 victory, since according to Matt Millen and wade it wasn't as good a performance as their 27-23 loss to the Colts, since they only possessed the ball for 37 minutes.
keep plucking that chicken
Old 10-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #195
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
I didn't say anything about Orton's throw...

*shrug*

I was just saying that I had a soft spot for the guy. I know he isn't all that but the guy was traded for Cutler and it seems to have worked out for both sides...... so far.
Sorry, I clicked on the wrong thread for quoting. It was hoopsguy who said it was a great throw. My apologies for besmirching your good name!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #196
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
They had a free preview of the Red Zone channel today on Comcast (at least the one have). It was awesome.

I may pick it up the sports package just to get it. It's only $8 a month, which comes out to about $2 a Sunday. I'd pay $2 for that. Given that I get the Lions' games via the local feed, based on my experience with the NFL Sunday Ticket, the Red Zone Channel is a very, very good proxy for having all the games.

Now just to sneak it by Lady H_B who is already none to thrilled (rightfully so) with our ridiculous cable bill.
They weren't able to get my DirecTV setup since some trees block the dish in the neighborhood. I got the Redzone Channel as an alternative and will say it was a blessing in disguise. Having a commercial free channel of non-stop football is amazing. With the Bears having late games the first 3 weeks, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching all the noon games via it.

I don't know how CBS and Fox aren't bitching. I never watch them anymore outside of the Bears games.

Last edited by RainMaker : 10-04-2009 at 09:53 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #197
Swaggs
Coordinator

Kind of screwy that they didn't call progress on that, but I think his knee didn't touch.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #198
Swaggs
Coordinator

...and so do the refs.

Frustrating. Not sure why they didn't blow the whistle there -- he had three guys standing him up and had been running in place for a few seconds (at least).
Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #199
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Steelers steal a play from the chargers playbook and get a TD on the half back pass to most likely clinch the victory.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #200
henry296
College Starter

And when I could use another Big Ben TD, they use the half-back option to get a passing TD. Currently up by 44 in my fantasy game.