Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-22-2003, 10:51 AM   #151
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Buzz/Quik--

You know who I need on O, and you know who I want on O. I trust you to pull out your slide rules, take a "whole team" view and do what is right in the FA market considering our budget.

Also--as stated above, if you can find an OL in FA who is good value, I would not be opposed to you picking him up for depth purposes later in FA.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:52 AM   #152
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I am just going to cry if the LB I have mentioned don't even get offers from us.

Dammit, I am starting already.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:14 AM   #153
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
I do have a question for Quik though: when making offers to the FA's, do you generally submit what they ask, or do you try to bump it down a little initially? And if there are competing offers, how aggressively have you bid up?

I've always been curious, but never asked.

Because of our rules (bonus must be as large as the highest annual salary) I tend to flatten out the offers - give them a deal with salaries that are pretty close to being flat year to year, and thereby minimizing the amount we end up paying in bonus.

So, rather than offer:

$6m bonus, salaries of 2,2,4,6

I'd rather offer:

$4m bonus, salaries of 4,4,4,4

...even though both of those are 4yr, $20m deals. In case we have a train wreck with injury or malperformance, we can get out more easily with less in bonus at stake.

That's my general path - the difference isn't usually all that stark, and with lower-level players, there's not much ability to do that... but with bigger deals, I'll dump them down to flatten out the offer.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:15 AM   #154
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm going to start working through the FA offers... and wil submit a tentative plan before going ahead...
Old 10-22-2003, 11:21 AM   #155
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Because of our rules (bonus must be as large as the highest annual salary) I tend to flatten out the offers - give them a deal with salaries that are pretty close to being flat year to year, and thereby minimizing the amount we end up paying in bonus.

So, rather than offer:

$6m bonus, salaries of 2,2,4,6

I'd rather offer:

$4m bonus, salaries of 4,4,4,4

...even though both of those are 4yr, $20m deals. In case we have a train wreck with injury or malperformance, we can get out more easily with less in bonus at stake.

That's my general path - the difference isn't usually all that stark, and with lower-level players, there's not much ability to do that... but with bigger deals, I'll dump them down to flatten out the offer.

Thanks for the feedback. Makes perfect sense.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:26 AM   #156
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm a little behind here so I forget who's been mentioned, but at LB we might consider WLB Maurice Reese. Could be a monster blitzer, so we could consider a switch to SLB. Only about $3M a year. WLB Derek Wallace (I see now that he has been mentioned) is great against the run, diagnoses plays and is very good at B&R. Hits hard too. Big enough (270) to play end, though he doesn't pass rush well. MLB Alonzo Epperson is interesting, as he is 100 on ST and B&R. Asking $5,340,000, 2 yrs.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:29 AM   #157
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I have not asked for blitzers
Old 10-22-2003, 11:30 AM   #158
cuervo72
Head Coach

LDT Desmond Van Caeyzeele is fairly cheap for a DT, $5,890,000, 2 yrs. Saggitarius, so there's an affinity.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:31 AM   #159
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
I have not asked for blitzers

then disregard Reese...
Old 10-22-2003, 11:33 AM   #160
QuikSand
lolzcat

Free Agency Process

Okay, here are the initial offers that I have submitted prior to the FA process beginning, listing their cap effect for this year:

Code:
1.7 QB Charlie Legrande 1.4 FB Melvin Tejeda 2.5 WR Everett Thomas 11.0 WR Wes Gomez 3.3 SLB Dwight Custer 3.3 WLB Derek Wallace 15.0 LCB Bo Perkins 2.4 SS Christian Cassidy 5.0 SS Ricky Hawkins ------- 45.6 FA Subtotal

That, to me, looks like a plan for spending our money. It’s right in the neighborhood of what we have available. And if we fail to lock up one or two of these players (I don’t know what the market will be for Gomez or Perkins) then we have fall-back plans, including guys on our own roster like CB Bordano (if his demands are too high to get any interest, which I think is quite possible) and RB Harden (who will not get any offers from anyone, period).

I also have a backdoor proposal in mind for later – we might think about re-signing WR Eric Mixon and seeing is he would re-adjust to the RB position. He’s asking for a pittance, but was always a better RB than WR… just a thought there. And if we end up stacking our WR position with big dollar guys, there’s no real use for the marginal players we went out of our way to acquire last year anyway – so maybe we think about doing the same thing with Kendrick Ellison, too. (Try Mixon first, then Ellison, I say)
Old 10-22-2003, 11:34 AM   #161
QuikSand
lolzcat

CHEMISTRY REFERENCE

Code:
The four affinity groups are: Aries, Gemini, Scorpio Sagittarius, Leo, Virgo Pisces, Taurus, Cancer Aquarius, Libra, Capricorn (affinity does not apply within the same sign) And the six pairs of opposed signs are: Aries - Aquarius Taurus - Libra Gemini - Virgo Scorpio - Pisces Capricorn - Leo Cancer - Sagittarius

And our CURRENT position leaders are:
Code:
FB - Rubble - Libra - Backfield Leader TE - Diana - Taurus - Receivers Leader LT - Johns - Aquarius - Offensive Line Leader LDE - Littlejohn - Leo - Defensive Front Leader SS - Hawkins - Cancer - Secondary Leader
Old 10-22-2003, 11:38 AM   #162
QuikSand
lolzcat

Problem. WR Wes Gomez is a Libra, and would conflict with our current receivers leader TE Diana, who is a Taurus. I don't think we can pursue Gomez, unless someone has an angle here...

Gomez has 6 years exp and a leadership rating of 69
Diana has 15 years exp and a leadership rating of 64

Looks like a pretty close call... but i'm not sure I want to eat $10 million in bonus money to find out. And I don't feel like it's within our rules to "sim ahead" and see how it would work out - that's always been against the rules in every GT for any purpose.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:40 AM   #163
QuikSand
lolzcat

Do we just plug in an offer for WR Courtney Adderley instead? He's a Virgo, would be chemistry neutral. Wants a bit more in salary, but I might be able to work something out... almost certainly means that we'd cut LB Daniels (who would have been anle to stick around with the signings list up to this point).

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-22-2003 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:41 AM   #164
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Problem. WR Wes Gomez is a Libra, and would conflict with our current receivers leader TE Diana, who is a Taurus. I don't think we can pursue Gomez, unless someone has an angle here...

Gomez has 6 years exp and a leadership rating of 69
Diana has 15 years exp and a leadership rating of 64

Looks like a pretty close call... but i'm not sure I want to eat $10 million in bonus money to find out. And I don't feel like it's within our rules to "sim ahead" and see how it would work out - that's always been against the rules in every GT for any purpose.

That's fine. We will find a place for $11,000,000 elsewhere.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:46 AM   #165
cuervo72
Head Coach

What of SE Alex Wilkerson? All-league 2nd team last year. Wants $20,480,000, 3 yrs.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:46 AM   #166
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Do we just plug in an offer for WR Courtney Adderley instead? He's a Virgo, would be chemistry neutral. Wants a bit more in salary, but I might be able to work something out... almost certainly means that we'd cut LB Daniels (who would have been anle to stick around with the signings list up to this point).

I'm on the fence with this one. It would be really nice to have two solid WRs to whom to throw the ball, as well as some depth there. At the same time, we would be saving a lot of $$ by not making a big FA splash at WR.

The more I think about it, the more I don't know if I want the pressure of having to get big numbers with my expensive new toy at WR. Perhaps let's save that money this time and find a place to spend it in the future.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:47 AM   #167
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
What of SE Alex Wilkerson? All-league 2nd team last year. Wants $20,480,000, 3 yrs.

I would not be opposed to something in the middle. A WR with a little less talent than Adderly/Gomez, but at a discount price.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:48 AM   #168
QuikSand
lolzcat

Found another possible switcher... NT Sherman Wells is a Virgo (affinity) and not yet well developed in his 5th year. At 280 lbs, I think he'd switch over to DE fairly well.. and for only $1.4m, he'd be a pretty cheap, potenially effective roster filler there. Even if he won't re-slot to DE, he'd still be a guy we could use in our DL rotation as a pass rusher from either position. I'm putting in an offer for him for two years, minsal, no bonus. No risk contract.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:49 AM   #169
QuikSand
lolzcat

Would it make sense to hold out at WR, and see what is there after several weeks' time? We can add up to two new pursuits after the FA process starts - maybe we keep WR in mind as one of those slots?
Old 10-22-2003, 11:51 AM   #170
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
I would not be opposed to something in the middle. A WR with a little less talent than Adderly/Gomez, but at a discount price.

Well, Wilkerson is 48/48, and is 75 drops, 26 downfield, 80 route runnint, 28 3rd down, 50 big play, 92 courage. Only 4 adjust to ball. He is in the $6-7M range, which is much cheaper. He had 1219 yards in 15 games last year, 989 in 13 the year before. He's been in the league 8 years. Low leadership (23).
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:56 AM   #171
QuikSand
lolzcat

Just trying to keep up… WR out, two DL in…

Code:
1.7 QB Charlie Legrande 1.4 FB Melvin Tejeda 2.5 WR Everett Thomas 1.4 DT Sherman Wells 2.8 DT Desmond Van Caeyzeele 3.3 SLB Dwight Custer 3.3 WLB Derek Wallace 15.0 LCB Bo Perkins 2.4 SS Christian Cassidy 5.0 SS Ricky Hawkins ------- 38.8 FA Subtotal

With this list, we would definitely be able to retain LB Daniels, and still have some cash to pursue one more player later in the FA period.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:59 AM   #172
cuervo72
Head Coach

That's fine by me then.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:59 AM   #173
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Just trying to keep up… WR out, two DL in…

Code:
1.7 QB Charlie Legrande 1.4 FB Melvin Tejeda 2.5 WR Everett Thomas 1.4 DT Sherman Wells 2.8 DT Desmond Van Caeyzeele 3.3 SLB Dwight Custer 3.3 WLB Derek Wallace 15.0 LCB Bo Perkins 2.4 SS Christian Cassidy 5.0 SS Ricky Hawkins ------- 38.8 FA Subtotal

With this list, we would definitely be able to retain LB Daniels, and still have some cash to pursue one more player later in the FA period.

Run with it as far as I am concerned.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:59 AM   #174
QuikSand
lolzcat

With WR Wilkerson, you pay him $7 million a year - but how much do you get from him? Comparie him to the best guys available who want $3-4 million (the list where Everett Thomas jumped out) and see those guys -- Robbie Stanford, Derek Farmer, Nlan Sills (old), hell, even Julio Mathews (our old guy) -- these guys all look like perfectly capable receivers, not far behind a guy like Wilkerson in my mind.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:00 PM   #175
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok, don't have to do much to convince me. Heck, I'd be happy to keep Mixon at receiver
Old 10-22-2003, 12:08 PM   #176
QuikSand
lolzcat

Since we have some cusion in our finances here, I'm going to add a couple more pursuits who will accept bonus-free offers. No risk - we can cut them if we want to later, but we'd get some depth this way... ad I think some of these guys have been mentioned along the way, at least in passing:

TE Jay Humphrey for $1.4m
RG Bucky Stewart for $1.45m
CB Bo Cassidy for $1.0m
CB Clifton Compton for $1.4m
CB Alan Stockton for $1.0m

We can also keep in mind that our nickel safety Orlando McNair will listen to a deal from us for around $4m or so... and our DC likes him, not to mention the GM.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:40 PM   #177
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

This is between rebooting servers, so I did not read closely.

remember the CB I mentioned earlier than my general scouting. He would be a solid STer and fair enough in the dime.

Love all those cheap CBs.

I am willing to start McNair.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:00 PM   #178
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm cool with the no risk guys.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:01 PM   #179
Buzzbee
College Starter

Catching up after lunch.

Considering our QB's are generally on the lower end of the talent scale, it is probably wise to not invest so much money in two star receivers without a QB who can get them the ball. Therefore I think it is actually better that Gomez wasn't a fit. Perhaps a solid backup at RB for Finley. Maybe a big potential guy since Finley is nearing the end of his contract (isn't he?). Of course we can probably get one of these in the first or second round of the draft.

Or another thought would be to get another quality TE to complement Wylie (and back him up in case of injury). This would allow ALM to run some 2 TE sets and give Finley another set of holes to run through. TE's tend to be value priced.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:04 PM   #180
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

How much do we expect Harden's demands to go down once FA ends? Do our rules allow us to make an offer to him, then?
Old 10-22-2003, 01:05 PM   #181
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
How much do we expect Harden's demands to go down once FA ends? Do our rules allow us to make an offer to him, then?

I don't think they do:

Players other than undrafted rookies may only be acquired during the draft and the 20-stage FA process
Old 10-22-2003, 01:19 PM   #182
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

We can make an offer to him any time... so if we were going to do it, we'd probably want to do so either at the end of the FA period, or perhaps after the rookie draft (esp. if we don't get a playable guy from the draft for some reason).
Old 10-22-2003, 01:21 PM   #183
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
RCB Alan Stockton as a replacement for Duran. He can play dime, or nickle if pressed. He should never start.

RCB Alex Forman is affordable and can play. Not the exact type I want, but a bargin.

RCB Hugh Cobb would do

RCB Brenden Cooper is the B&R guy I want, but I think he is a $.05.

LCB Bo Cassidy good young depth.

LCB Paul Grubbs - a B&R guy

LCB Sammie Williamson - a finesse guy. please don't pick him up.

LCB Mercury Roberson - good B&R guy

LCB Bo Perkins - STUD, and much cheaper than our guy

LCB Leon Henn - Old but solid

Here is the list of DBs you pointed out at one point, Fritz... I believe we have offers in to at least three of them, maybe four.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:22 PM   #184
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I don't think they do:

Players other than undrafted rookies may only be acquired during the draft and the 20-stage FA process

He's not being acquired - he'a already on our team. He's just getting a new contract. I could alter the wording if it's unclear, but that's how we've been using it all along, and how it was originally intended.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:23 PM   #185
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Or another thought would be to get another quality TE to complement Wylie (and back him up in case of injury). This would allow ALM to run some 2 TE sets and give Finley another set of holes to run through. TE's tend to be value priced.

I think the guy we are pursuing cheap will be a perfectly adequate backup as either the #2 or #3 TE, and is very affordable.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:27 PM   #186
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Cool--let's keep him in mind, then, if we have some cash post-draft.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:38 PM   #187
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
He's not being acquired - he'a already on our team. He's just getting a new contract. I could alter the wording if it's unclear, but that's how we've been using it all along, and how it was originally intended.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:39 PM   #188
QuikSand
lolzcat

As it seems we have at least come pretty close to consensus, I’m starting up the free agency period.

The first week always lets us know where things are going, and we have one particular concern – there is a bidding war for CB Bo Perkins, and our 2yr, $30m offer might not hold up. We are the most bonus-heavy offer out there (I expect), but his current team Providence is in the bidding, and so is Fort Worth with a 3yr $48m deal. To get him, we may need to bump up a shade. I go to 3yrs, $48m – which places our offer as the richest on the table.

Elsewhere, generally good news. LB Custer and CB Compton are already aboard, while our offer tops everyone else’s list. DE Bryan Manning (shiver) has inked a big deal with Sacramento, where he will no doubt spring back into good health and bust up the record books.

Week Two – we land several of our target players, including big money man Bo Perkins. Everything looks to be going very smoothly.

In week three, CB Edgar Bordano receives his first offer - $150 million over six years, from Fort Knox. He decides to sit on it – might be a bad move. The following week, Bordano inks the deal, and moves on to play for the Glitters.

DT Sherman Wells signs with us, and agrees to the position switch to play DE on the left side. He’s a punishing hitter, and has some potential as a pass rusher – a pretty cheap fill-in at a tough-to-fill position.

After 10 weeks, all our business is through. Here is a look at our roster at this point, with contract details:

Code:
Front Office Football: The Fourth Edition Kitty Hawk Flyers Roster, Contract View Player # Pos OnTm EndCnt Exp Cap Cost Save if Rlse Sparks, Heath 18 QB 2020 2024 9 $4,900,000 $3,600,000 LeGrande, Charlie 12 QB 2023 2024 9 $1,700,000 $1,700,000 Francis, Ethan 8 QB 2022 2023 7 $1,400,000 $1,400,000 Tittle, Bennie 13 QB 2020 ---- 4 $0 $0 Lindsay, Rod 1 QB 2022 ---- 2 $0 $0 Finley, Daniel 20 RB 2018 2023 6 $9,760,000 $5,500,000 Strong, Rob 24 RB 2020 ---- 4 $0 $0 Harden, R.J. 47 RB 2021 ---- 3 $0 $0 Rubble, Earnest 39 FB 2020 2023 4 $2,820,000 $1,920,000 Tejeda, Melvin 31 FB 2023 2024 6 $1,400,000 $1,400,000 Wylie, Larry 86 TE 2021 2025 3 $4,430,000 $2,790,000 Diana, Julio 80 TE 2019 2023 15 $2,630,000 $1,960,000 Humphrey, Jay 88 TE 2023 2024 5 $1,390,000 $1,390,000 Wayne, Bernard 82 TE 2020 UFA 6 $0 $0 Song, Peter 84 FL 2019 2024 5 $9,300,000 $5,550,000 Sanderson, Robert 83 FL 2020 2023 4 $3,720,000 $2,610,000 Ellison, Kendrick 43 FL 2022 2024 2 $1,000,000 $910,000 Carr, Kenneth 81 FL 2020 UFA 11 $0 $0 Thomas, Everett 89 SE 2023 2025 7 $2,500,000 $1,800,000 Jefferson, Chad 87 SE 2022 2024 2 $1,000,000 $910,000 Mixon, Eric 23 SE 2022 ---- 2 $0 $0 Andrews, Willie 65 LT 2018 2023 14 $18,300,000 $12,000,000 Johns, Timothy 61 LT 2020 2025 9 $8,780,000 $6,530,000 Huntley, David 66 LT 2022 2024 8 $2,460,000 $1,800,000 Hausermann, Dave 72 LG 2020 2024 8 $2,400,000 $1,800,000 Alston, Kenneth 53 C 2022 2025 2 $2,610,000 $1,560,000 Drake, Chuck 59 C 2022 2023 6 $1,390,000 $1,390,000 Johnson, Jerry 78 RG 2022 2024 7 $2,210,000 $1,660,000 Peterson, Rufus 68 RG 2019 2023 5 $2,210,000 $1,660,000 Stewart, Bucky 62 RG 2023 2025 5 $1,450,000 $1,450,000 Grolsko, Frank 64 RT 2021 2023 3 $1,370,000 $1,240,000 Saldana, Van 14 P 2021 2024 3 $990,000 $990,000 Arellano, Neil 19 K 2021 2023 3 $1,530,000 $1,240,000 Upshaw, Sam 75 LDE 2022 2025 2 $3,070,000 $1,860,000 Wells, Sherman 93 LDE 2023 2024 5 $1,400,000 $1,400,000 Van Caeyzeele, Desmond 95 LDT 2023 2025 6 $2,800,000 $2,100,000 Peters, Ellis 70 LDT 2020 UFA 10 $0 $0 Hernandez, J.T. 99 NT 2022 ---- 2 $0 $0 Littlejohn, Jack 77 RDT 2019 2023 5 $4,920,000 $3,330,000 Guthrie, Bart 91 RDT 2022 2024 8 $2,250,000 $1,700,000 Sinclair, J.C. 90 RDE 2022 2024 7 $3,800,000 $2,800,000 McWilliams, Kenyon 76 RDE 2022 ---- 2 $0 $0 Custer, Dwight 92 SLB 2023 2025 6 $3,300,000 $2,400,000 Mills, J.J. 50 SLB 2020 2024 11 $2,800,000 $2,100,000 Boyd, Howie 94 SLB 2021 2024 3 $1,890,000 $1,240,000 Rapp, Percy 97 SLB 2021 2023 3 $1,240,000 $1,240,000 Moe, Kurt 57 SILB 2022 ---- 2 $0 $0 Daniels, Russell 96 MLB 2020 2023 9 $13,750,000 $11,000,000 Plank, Oscar 56 MLB 2021 UFA 8 $0 $0 Satterlee, Kerry 52 MLB 2022 ---- 2 $0 $0 Wallace, Derek 54 WLB 2023 2025 8 $3,300,000 $2,400,000 Middleton, Buddy 98 WLB 2021 2024 3 $2,750,000 $1,850,000 Mitchell, Otis 55 WLB 2021 2023 3 $990,000 $990,000 Perkins, Bo 22 LCB 2023 2025 12 $16,000,000 $12,000,000 Duran, Luther 28 LCB 2020 2023 4 $2,130,000 $1,540,000 Devitt, Cornell 32 LCB 2021 2023 5 $1,390,000 $1,390,000 Cassidy, Bo 25 LCB 2023 2024 3 $1,000,000 $1,000,000 Henderson, Joseph 42 LCB 2020 UFA 8 $0 $0 Compton, Clifton 34 RCB 2023 2023 5 $1,390,000 $1,390,000 Stockton, Alan 21 RCB 2023 2023 3 $990,000 $990,000 Perry, Shane 35 RCB 2021 UFA 8 $0 $0 Hawkins, Ricky 33 SS 2020 2023 13 $5,000,000 $2,500,000 Cassidy, Christian 48 SS 2023 2025 9 $2,400,000 $1,700,000 Hillard, Preston 51 SS 2022 2024 2 $910,000 $910,000 Reynolds, Louie 30 FS 2018 UFA 14 $0 $0 McNair, Orlando 45 FS 2020 ---- 4 $0 $0 Players Under Contract: 49 Salary Cap: $184,300,000 Cap Room: $11,120,000 Maximum for New Player: $2,580,000 Cap Room Lost (to old contracts): $60,000 Cap Room Lost Next Year (to old contracts): $0 Cap Room Required Next Year: $104,620,000

We are pretty close to our limit – but it’s not out of the question to see us getting a new deal with S McNair within the confines of our current setup. I will distribute the files, let everyone look at what we have, and then we can chart our course from there. We have more players than we need, which is a nice luxury – we can tinker with our draft if need be, or we can just cut to make space as needed. Plus, there’s still the option of releasing LB Daniels if we find a free agent that we really want to pursue – doing so would immediately clear out $11 million (with no cap consequences for next year).
Old 10-22-2003, 01:42 PM   #189
QuikSand
lolzcat

File update #1 of 2
Old 10-22-2003, 01:42 PM   #190
QuikSand
lolzcat

File update #2 of 2
Old 10-22-2003, 01:45 PM   #191
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think we need to look at CB -- we now have six guys on the roster, including Duran who is a goner... so really five. Lock Perkins down as our guy against the top opposing WR, fine.

Now, who else starts?

Devitt has been on our bench, but actually has some skills (35/79 MTM, 51/62 BNR) - not much of ballhawker.

Cassidy, Compton, and Stockton are all basically fill-in caliber players... I don't think any of them really fit the mold as a starter by any means.

Fritz, is this a crisis? Do we need to make an investment in our second CB position? Or can we get by with Devitt and some scheming to help him out?
Old 10-22-2003, 02:06 PM   #192
Buzzbee
College Starter

Perhaps dump Daniels and go after CB Leon Henn?
Old 10-22-2003, 02:09 PM   #193
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I am multitasking and can't open the game. No matter what I have to work with we will be fine.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:16 PM   #194
QuikSand
lolzcat

Leon Henn signed with Ocean City, just up the beach from us.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:18 PM   #195
QuikSand
lolzcat

Oddly enough, some of the best fits remaining at CB are guys already on our roster - Henderson is probably the best guy left overall, and Shane Perry is a pretty good match for the Fritzystem (with very good BNR skills). Just sayin...
Old 10-22-2003, 02:31 PM   #196
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Oddly enough, some of the best fits remaining at CB are guys already on our roster - Henderson is probably the best guy left overall, and Shane Perry is a pretty good match for the Fritzystem (with very good BNR skills). Just sayin...

Since we are familiar with Henderson, and since he did a decent job at #2 corner last year, sounds like he may be our man. Perry was primarily a nickelback blitzer in the AML system.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:52 PM   #197
QuikSand
lolzcat

Another option, if we are willing, is to use a player like SS Christian Cassidy as a cornerback, and place him into coverage directly. He has excellent cover skills, and I suspect he'd be better than most of the guys we're looknig at picking up for a reasonable price. We could start McNair at safety, and use Cassidy as a CB starter.

Not precluded by our rules... but I don't know about ho thw DC would feel about it. He seemed hinky about RB-to-WR switches last season as OC.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:55 PM   #198
QuikSand
lolzcat

By the way, you may notice that I made an offer to S Ricky Hawkins for just one year... since he's getting up in age, I didn't want to risk having to eat a giant amount of bonus next season if he retires after this season.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:34 PM   #199
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
By the way, you may notice that I made an offer to S Ricky Hawkins for just one year... since he's getting up in age, I didn't want to risk having to eat a giant amount of bonus next season if he retires after this season.

Good thinking.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:29 PM   #200
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by gkb
Thanks for the help guys. To prove my g-knob status I have yet to get it to work, but I'm still trying. You know as a software engineer you'd think that I'd be capable of downloading some files and moving them into a directory...

I once went bowling with a whole bunch of Oracle developers and DBAs. Collectively the 8 of us had 60 years or so of experience developing software and designing systems. It took us more than twenty minutes to figure out how to enter our names into the automatic scoring system, and then we completely bothed it. It was like "Krish, you are up in lane two...oh and lane one". It was brutal, and that was before the alcohol.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote