Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #151
Desmond
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
I think all this talk of words and precedents is misguided. There are probably very few words that will trigger a boxing. It seems to come down to specific actions and how they cumulate. Desmond posted the same picture that Sov posted but didn't get the box. Why not? Both had jumped into an ongoing conversation with no intent other than to be a troll. They may have both been going for offensive humor, but they probably both missed. Desmond probably got some slack because he is relatively new and the thread was already descending toward bickering and insults.

If you start trolling in a thread that has already gradually drifted toward trolling and insults, it probably isn't that big a deal. If you start a thread or join a conversational thread with trolling and insults, that seems to be box-worthy. It all seems to come back to Rule #1: Don't be an asshat.

Pardon me, but I was not trolling. I was simply asking if it was possible for you not to be such a hissy little bitch. Download a torrent, live a little.

Last edited by Desmond : 07-10-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #152
Desnudo
Coordinator

Oh snap! I have a feeling I'll be losing this post a little later. I enjoy boxings right or wrong for the follow-up threads that result.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #153
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond
Pardon me, but I was not trolling. I was simply asking if it was possible for you not to be such a hissy little bitch. Download a torrent, live a little.

There, now thats trolling. Faggot.

Your first post in that thread was to call Schmidty a hypocrite for changing his mind after 3 years. You then called me a faggot for pointing that out. I think that qualifies as trolling.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:14 PM   #154
Desmond
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Your first post in that thread was to call Schmidty a hypocrite for changing his mind after 3 years. You then called me a faggot for pointing that out. I think that qualifies as trolling.

Ya know what, I got myself a little worked up there and I appologize.

A) I didn't call Schmidty a hypocrite, I pointed out a post in which he used the same term he was railing against. I didn't make a judgement either way, I left it to stand on it's own.

B) I didn't call you a faggot, well not until later, and again I appologize although im sure i'll get my reprimand. I was using a pop culture reference to insinuate that you were being a weee bit touchy on one hand and on the other I was trying to point out that a mod shamelessly and unabashadly uses the same damn phrase time in and time out.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #155
stevew
Hall Of Famer

In before the lock.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #156
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Damn, look at this...based upon Sov's boxing, we should be digging through the 56 threads and finding out who the hell called who or what a faggot, and box the living hell out of them.

Honestly Mods, get your hands off your cocks and the boxing trigger.

Showing results 1 to 50 of 56
Search took 3.96 seconds. Search: Key Word(s): Faggot
Old 07-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #157
Joe
Pro Starter

you're all faggots
Old 07-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #158
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I did not intend for this thread to become this faggoty.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #159
Desnudo
Coordinator

It was inevitable
Old 07-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #160
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
It was inevitable

I'm sorry, it's what?

Inevit, inevitabre.

One more time.

[shouts] Inevitebre! Jesus Christ, open your fucking ears!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #161
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I think everyone's use of the word "faggot" and all deriatives is getting really fucking old. And this is coming from a person who is not offended by the use of the word. I'm not offended by your usage, but I'm getting tired of the same old schtick that does offend others.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #162
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
That's the problem, nobody knows what they can and can't say. Sometimes you can go by precedent, but as was pointed out, 'faggot' has a precedent of being used without remorse by the HNIC. It was also not HA's intent to inflame, it's just who he is. He was stating his opinion after getting fired up reading the story. Say it's an idiotic opinion and move on. People are getting super touchy here lately, like they are just looking for something to be offended at. If someone says something dumb and/or inappropriate, mock them by putting it in your sig, don't cry about it.

Let's see. I have been here about 5 years and have never been boxed. Yourself and the two guys in question have been boxed numerous times. I just don't feel sorry for somebody who can't learn from their own fuckin mistakes.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #163
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
take a valium or something...i didnt say anything about it being the most appropriate use of an emoticon...i honestly didnt even care who it was being posted in reference to...it just made me laugh.

however, i now also think it IS the most appropriate emoticon ever.

Glad I could do that for ya! See, now I respect you for having an opinion! Let the sissies try to be everybody's buddy! Be a MAN, not a SISSY! Be a BUBBA! Not a Schmidty!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #164
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
you're all faggots

Sshhhhh! Loren doesn't know yet.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #165
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Glad I could do that for ya! See, now I respect you for having an opinion! Let the sissies try to be everybody's buddy! Be a MAN, not a SISSY! Be a BUBBA! Not a Schmidty!

Thanks. Now I think I've been called everything. Most people think I'm a butthole and a spazz at times, but I've never been called a sissy.

If being a sissy means that I'm not a bigot or a person who makes light of other people's deficiencies when they can't defend themselves, then I guess I'm a sissy.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #166
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

If having a lot of friends makes you a sissy, and a lack of buddies makes you a man, then you must certainly be a man's man.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
Old 07-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #167
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Let's see. I have been here about 5 years and have never been boxed. Yourself and the two guys in question have been boxed numerous times. I just don't feel sorry for somebody who can't learn from their own fuckin mistakes.

that's pretty much how i see it
Old 07-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #168
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I just don't feel sorry for somebody who can't learn from their own fuckin mistakes.

Agreed, the mods just don't learn that banning someone for one thing, and not banning someone else for the same thing is wrong.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #169
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Agreed, the mods just don't learn that banning someone for one thing, and not banning someone else for the same thing is wrong.

As a policeman was writing a ticket to someone who was speeding, the speeder asked "How come you pulled me over? There were a lot of other people speeding."

The policeman replied "When you go fishing, do you catch every fish in the lake?"
Old 07-10-2006, 09:44 PM   #170
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You see I don't get this response. Have you ever been boxed? Has 99% of the board? Quite simply these guys don't deserve the same leeway that everyone else does. HA is always causing shit and while soverignstar seems to be a much bigger contriubuter I can recall him being boxed on several other occasions. You do realize we are talking about two grown men here and not children? How mature is it to make the posts that they are getting in trouble for? You guys can continue to rally to their support, but basically all the moderators are trying to do is to get these guys to act like they are older than 13. My 7 year old nephew argues that it isn't fair when he gets in trouble for things that my 5 year old neice doesn't. Usually when we become adults we realize easy ways to stay out of trouble and only the most immature of the immature say "But he did it too!"
Old 07-10-2006, 09:49 PM   #171
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
If having a lot of friends makes you a sissy, and a lack of buddies makes you a man, then you must certainly be a man's man.

Well, this is an internet message board. If these people are your 'friends', then I really feel sorry for you. I promise you don't have to worry about me, but thanks for the concern anyways.

BTW, you know I think your the ultimate puss yourself, so Schmidty has some company!
Old 07-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #172
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Hi, I'm craigsca. You can call me Craig.
how do you know?

Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 PM   #173
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sshhhhh! Loren doesn't know yet.

doubtful.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #174
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
As a policeman was writing a ticket to someone who was speeding, the speeder asked "How come you pulled me over? There were a lot of other people speeding."

The policeman replied "When you go fishing, do you catch every fish in the lake?"

Left out is the part where once pulled over, the policeman let go the fellow policeman or the hot chick off scott free, but gave to 300lb. guy in the beat up pinto a ticket. That finishes off this analogy, although I am not calling SkyDog a hot chick, don't take it that way because then he might call me faggoty in which he wouldn't get boxed for.

Quote:
You see I don't get this response. Have you ever been boxed? Has 99% of the board? Quite simply these guys don't deserve the same leeway that everyone else does. HA is always causing shit and while soverignstar seems to be a much bigger contriubuter I can recall him being boxed on several other occasions. You do realize we are talking about two grown men here and not children? How mature is it to make the posts that they are getting in trouble for? You guys can continue to rally to their support, but basically all the moderators are trying to do is to get these guys to act like they are older than 13. My 7 year old nephew argues that it isn't fair when he gets in trouble for things that my 5 year old neice doesn't. Usually when we become adults we realize easy ways to stay out of trouble and only the most immature of the immature say "But he did it too!"

No, never been boxed. And in sov's case it is a valid arguement. How is making a joke by posting a picture from a movie and saying the line from that scene any worse then someone else running around saying things are faggoty, or calling someone a faggot without the picture of a cab driver? I back up sov for that reason. I think the past shouldn't have squat to do with this instance at all.

As for HA's, that one is harder to defend. I didn't see the thread because I wasn't here, but have heard his side of the story. I can say that I understand how guys who don't already like him would want to burn him at the stake for it, and that is pretty much how it went down, IMO. If there is more to that thread then what I have read from guys, then I could be wrong in thinking it was stupid to box him. But, the thread is gone, so it's he said/she said for those who weren't there to see it go down.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #175
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
doubtful.

You sent her the pictures?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #176
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well, this is an internet message board. If these people are your 'friends', then I really feel sorry for you. I promise you don't have to worry about me, but thanks for the concern anyways.

BTW, you know I think your the ultimate puss yourself, so Schmidty has some company!

are you kidding me...some of the fastest growing threads on this board are the ones that involve real life problems that we have as real people, and every post in them is from one person genuinely concerned for another.

or how about some of the threads where people share the highlights of their lives, like having children born or getting married...same thing...tons of posts from their online friends.

perhaps you never noticed these, as you were too busy trolling and insulting people that you have never even had a conversation with before.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #177
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
*** I posted a Kirby Puckett autographed picture on page 2 but it was replaced with a winky smile emoticon***

Old 07-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #178
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
are you kidding me...some of the fastest growing threads on this board are the ones that involve real life problems that we have as real people, and every post in them is from one person genuinely concerned for another.

or how about some of the threads where people share the highlights of their lives, like having children born or getting married...same thing...tons of posts from their online friends.

perhaps you never noticed these, as you were too busy trolling and insulting people that you have never even had a conversation with before.

Makes me sad and I think about the recent news article that Americans are becoming increasingly more isolated. If this board gives you some pleasure then good for you, nothing wrong with that. But to think your making real connections with real 'friends' would be, and is, sad. Unless, of course, you actually call and/or meet up with some of these folks, which I don't.

Friends are real people you see and talk to in real life. This is entertainment, like interactive TV or a video game. At least to me.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 07-10-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:04 AM   #179
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Friends are real people you see and talk to in real life. This is entertainment, like interactive TV or a video game. At least to me.

The man (and others) that you just insulted had enough concern and empathy to give a shit to talk to me when I was down because of the death of my grandfather. Not only that, he sent me something to make me feel better. That's what what a friend does. He didn't even really know me, but he gave a fuck enough about me (who he only knew on the internet) to try to make me feel better. THAT is part of loving your neighbor, you disgraceful faux-christian. (I feel bad about saying that, but I have nothing to assess your character by other than your words and behaviour).

What do you do other than besmirch the name of the God you supposedly follow? You wreak havok on this board and you add NOTHING. You don't spread love, respect and kindness - the very things that are part of speading the Good News. You add chaos and discord.

Now, I'm not perfect by any stretch, but I understand what it is to love my neighbor.

Being a friend, or even a good citizen, means having kindness in your heart, even if it makes you look like a wuss at times.

In the words of Jimmy Stewert in "Mr. Smith goes to Washington":

"I wouldn't give you two cents for all your fancy rules if, behind them, they didn't have a little bit of plain, ordinary, everyday kindness and a little looking out for the other fella, too."

Last edited by Schmidty : 07-11-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:16 AM   #180
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I think everyone's use of the word "faggot" and all deriatives is getting really fucking old. And this is coming from a person who is not offended by the use of the word. I'm not offended by your usage, but I'm getting tired of the same old schtick that does offend others.

Homo

edit: meant with a

Last edited by Desnudo : 07-11-2006 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:27 AM   #181
twothree
College Prospect

*gets out a handbasket*

*places thread inside handbasket*

*ships thread via USPS straight to hell*
Old 07-11-2006, 12:31 AM   #182
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Desmond, that's two weeks in the cooler. Admittedly, it should have been done earlier, but I was hopeful that you'd back off. No such luck.

As for the rest of this thread, I'd appreciate it if everyone would just chill out and move on.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:42 AM   #183
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

So sov was banned for that fag comment?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:44 AM   #184
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Desmond, that's two weeks in the cooler. Admittedly, it should have been done earlier, but I was hopeful that you'd back off. No such luck.

As for the rest of this thread, I'd appreciate it if everyone would just chill out and move on.

Why not just have someone in authority (read: SkyDog) explain the sov and HA boxing a little better. At least that would end the speculation over mod motivation.

Of course, people would still cry about it... but it might help.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:59 AM   #185
Franklinnoble
Banned

Hmm... post #154 seems to indicate that Desmond was indeed backing off a bit. Why the boxing at this point?

Oh, and stirring up the pot isn't necessarily un-Christian. I'm sure if they'd had message boards back in the day, the pharisees would have called Jesus a troll. Maybe Bubba's not spreading the love, but nobody ever said a Christian couldn't have a strong opinion.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:04 AM   #186
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Makes me sad and I think about the recent news article that Americans are becoming increasingly more isolated. If this board gives you some pleasure then good for you, nothing wrong with that. But to think your making real connections with real 'friends' would be, and is, sad. Unless, of course, you actually call and/or meet up with some of these folks, which I don't.

this post makes me sad.....

and makes me realize what ignore lists are for.

and thanks schmidty for having my back...gee...that seems like something friends would do for one another, doesnt it?
Old 07-11-2006, 01:06 AM   #187
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Oh, and stirring up the pot isn't necessarily un-Christian.

Big difference. Jesus was against the establishment of the pharisees because of their overly strict adherance to old testament rules, while at the same time allowing disgraceful things such as money-lenders (which is against biblical law) to take place right on the grounds of the temple.

He would likely have not have regarded calling non-establishment people sissies, fags or retards to be an OK thing.

Try again.

Last edited by Schmidty : 07-11-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:12 AM   #188
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Big difference. Jesus was against the establishment of the pharisees because of their overly strict adherance to old testament rules, while at the same time allowing disgraceful things such as money-lenders (which is against biblical law) to take place right on the grounds of the temple.

He would likely have not have regarded calling out non-establishment sinners by calling them sissies, fags or retards.

Try again.

Hey, I'm not saying Bubba's not being graceful... I'm just saying you can be opinionated, and still be Christian.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:44 AM   #189
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

See I have been boxed. On a completely bullshit decision by the mods. That has made me sensitive to this issue, because one moron on the board can not make even the slightest attempt to understand that you might not be saying something offensive, that you might be making a point. In fact it might be the same point that you had made earlier in the same thread without the least bit of consequence. Anyway that moron reports your post, then a couple of over eager mods come along and toss you in the box without having two thoughts between them.

The Deal with Sov's boxing is that no one really thought what he did was a boxable offense. Less moderation is preferred. This place thrived under minima moderation, and willy nilly application of board rules has done nothing to help this place. More moderation is something I will continue to bitch about.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:41 AM   #190
Blade6119
Coordinator

FOFC is finally succumbing to the WW craze...players are fighting, people are getting eliminated from the game, and no one has any clue what is really going on. Gotta love WW
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Old 07-11-2006, 07:24 AM   #191
miked
College Starter

Why do people care so much about who's boxed and why? This messageboard has people in charge that do what they think is best. If 2 idiots who were here to troll/flame get put in the box, big deal, there are other messageboards. Miss HA? Come over to the UBL board and talk to him, I guarantee it's the same guy.

This isn't some sort of democracy where everyone has a voice, it's a messageboard. If you can't conduct yourself to the standard people in charge ask of you, don't come by. You want to know why some things are boxable and some aren't for fear that you may get boxed? Not everytthing is always perceived the same way...don't act like an idiot and roll the dice.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #192
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

WWJD? stomp on the sissies?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-11-2006, 07:53 AM   #193
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
Anyway that moron reports your post, then a couple of over eager mods come along and toss you in the box without having two thoughts between them.

I do not take kindly to personal assaults like this.

You and I have had a private discussion on this issue and I believe I laid out very clearly the way I felt about the issue in very logical terms. I've had told you on NUMEROUS occasions that you are talking out of your ass without any facts to back up your claims and you continue to do so.

I will ask that you please cease and desist with the personal attacks. Not as a mod making threats, but as a fellow board member making the request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 07-11-2006 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:25 AM   #194
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

This is where your (note the correct usage) assumption is dead wrong. I've met several of the posters of FOFC in real life at different times. We've talked, drank beers, the normal things that friends do. Just because first contact was made on an Internet message board, how is that any different from making friends with people you meet at work, church, or school? And how is using the Internet to bridge distances between people any different than calling a friend from school who lives on the other side of the country, or even in a different country? Being a friend means communicating, be it face to face, over the phone, via the Internet, or even the old fashioned way, writing letters.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:31 AM   #195
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
I seriously doubt that this will happen until there is a little more explanation on sov's boxing. Again, no one can dispute HA's boxing because the evidence is gone, but sov's boxing seems to be inconsistent with the (previously) established "standards and practices" of FOFC.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #196
wade moore
lolzcat

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=50984

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 07-11-2006, 09:15 AM   #197
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
So why was he boxed?

If this was a post on a message board back in the 40's and he said this about the Nazi's would you have banned him then too?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:15 AM   #198
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Wanna know why there are no more Pumpy pics? Among other things, some of the shit buried in this thread is an example of why there are no more Pumpy pics.

TAKE THAT.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 07-11-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #199
duckman
Pro Starter

I agree with 90% of the boxings on this board, but methinks this one falls under the 10%.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
Old 07-11-2006, 09:18 AM   #200
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
So why was he boxed?

If this was a post on a message board back in the 40's and he said this about the Nazi's would you have banned him then too?

I should have clarified.

HA was not boxed because of "racist" remarks. In fact, you'll notice that no one in there did anyone say something about racism other than HA.

HA was boxed for create an offensive, trolling thread that had no purpose or realistic result other than to cause trouble. He made a sweeping, offensive generalization about an entire continent of people. Within 5 minutes it was already headed very quickly down that path, if there are any doubters on the inevitable result of the thread.

Quote:
Closed Thread