Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #151
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
SI rules...OOTP has some work to do (I couldn't get into OOTP 6 for the life of me...not even sure if I played 5 that much), and I hope Markus can get things straight for the SI version of this game.

This looks really good:
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/sion/

Is that something generated by the game?
Yep. There was a 3rd party utility called CatoBase that a lot of people used (and frankly that Markus used as a bit of a crutch) that created reports like these. Unfortunately, Jeff Cato up and disappeared on dark grey morn and left Markus to rework the way reports came out in 6.5 to satisfy people who were angry that the semi-new version made the #1 reason they played the game not work. Then he implemented something similar into the actual game.

So it's in there now and while not perfect it's looking really cool. One thing I loved about CatoBase was that after 20 years or so you could just lose yourself flipping through your league's history.
Johnny Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #152
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
To clarify my position - yes I want SI to sell games (shock horror, company wants to make profit and stay in business ) .... but the main reason I'm working in games and specifically text sims is because I love playing them myself.

As such our expansion into American sports is partially for business reasons but mainly because myself and the other chaps making these games want them to exist and eventually become as indepth and fun as Football Manager to play.

Simply put, currently speaking no one is getting rich from our American sports products however we have some very talented people working upon them and we obviously hope that in the long term they'll 'break' though.

Are they perfect - no unfortunately not, I'd be happy to apologise for that if anyone wants me to ... we will always strive to make them as realistic and fun as possible, but we are only human at the end of the day and unfortunately we are constricted by our own inadequacies and the limitations of the hardware people run the games on.

As always we will support our products to the best of our abilities and we are confident that vast majority of people playing them will enjoy them. Obviously the more feedback we recieve from people the easier it will be to evolve and improve each series going forward.

Call me a fan boy or whatever, but I'll buy every game from SI sight unseen untill they give me a reason not to.

EMH, FM the old CM were all quality products. OOTP was a good product when it was just Markus, it is going to be even better now.

But most of your FOFC guys are like the two old muppets that sit in the balcony.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 05-29-2006 at 12:52 PM.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #153
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick
...says the guy posting on a Front Office Football message board.

Obviously OOTP is going to have its flaws. Puresim does as well (for instance, if you start a sim in 1876 you will have to use a closer who will save 50 games for you just the same as if you started play in 2006). I think that you're not looking for a "good" game, you're looking for a "perfect" game. And well, I guess you're going to have to keep looking. If you want hyper-realistic baseball, buy Diamond Mind or Strat-o-Matic. Puresim's come a long way in the past couple years, but it still hiccups a lot. Baseball Mogul is just plain trash. That leaves OOTP. Maybe it's the best only by default, but it's still the best IMO and the competition in the field right now will only help.

So you don't have a problem with 30yo's in Rookie Ball? Or MR's starting games on a consistent basis and only pitching 3 innnings?

I'm not sure if you know or not, but I believe JIMGA has been around since the first edition of OOTP and I believe was on a beta team for OOTP2 or 3. So, all of these issues have been mentioned to Markus before and the promise of each edition has been to fix these issues but they keep coming back.

I think that most of us just don't care about the new features and just fix the problems that exist now and have existed for some time.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #154
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
So you don't have a problem with 30yo's in Rookie Ball?
It's a minor problem, and to be honest pretty realistic given the kinds of games I play (I usually start with the deadball era, when the minors weren't controlled by Major League Baseball and often signed older vets, even if they were "low" minors - as late as the 40s, I believe Lefty Grove was extending his career this way).

Quote:
Or MR's starting games on a consistent basis and only pitching 3 innnings?
I haven't seen them start games "on a consistent basis" ever. I've seen them get the occasional spot start, and while I don't like the fact that the majority of players in the game apparently can't work 6 innings a night, it's still a relatively minor problem. Actually IMO the fact that relievers consistently have higher ERAs than starters is a bigger issue to me. And, as has been mentioned, apparently Markus did recognize the issue this time around and hopefully will fix it in a patch. Maybe it's an easier thing to fix now given the new engine. I don't know.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you know or not, but I believe JIMGA has been around since the first edition of OOTP and I believe was on a beta team for OOTP2 or 3. So, all of these issues have been mentioned to Markus before and the promise of each edition has been to fix these issues but they keep coming back.

I think that most of us just don't care about the new features and just fix the problems that exist now and have existed for some time.
I think that I've been with the game since version 2 and I continue to buy it not because everything I want in the game has been included but because it's still worth paying for.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #155
jbmagic
Pro Starter

If the same AI bugs are in the old engine on previous ootp versions and are still in the new engine of ootp 2006 according to the reports we able to view than it must be a coding problem that someone is not undersanding over there.

These old AI bugs should of been gone by now and not still showing up on current version still.

All the new features is great for ootp 2006 so far. Just a little concern about the AI like a lot of us here are.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:11 PM   #156
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Is Peter Prospar in this game?

hehe older cm player joke.. however i look forward to finding low level players with high rated abilities
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:27 PM   #157
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
SI rules...OOTP has some work to do (I couldn't get into OOTP 6 for the life of me...not even sure if I played 5 that much), and I hope Markus can get things straight for the SI version of this game.

This looks really good:

Is that something generated by the game?

Yeah, it's generated by the game.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #158
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
So you don't have a problem with 30yo's in Rookie Ball? Or MR's starting games on a consistent basis and only pitching 3 innnings?

Yeah, looking deeper, there are still some big problems. I told you guys, I just took a quick glance.

At least I don't see top notch rookies on the waiver wire. That's something.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:32 PM   #159
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
And that's exactly what a lot of us would like to see ... but have just about given up on living long enough to get.
These things take time unfortunately - please bear in mind that FM is now a decade plus in the evolution and as such has a heck of a head start on any other game.

Quote:
But do they have to be? Or, more accurately, do those inadequacies have to persist instead of being resolved?
They don't have to 'persist' and we'll be endeavouring to support OOTP in the same way we do FM - that is correcting any reported problems with the game.

Please bear in mind that some bugs which might seem obvious to yourself might easily be missed by a hundred other people because of the things you look for in a game or indeed just pure luck, as such please bear with us and help us ensure the game evolves and improves going forward.

I'm confident it'll be fun and stable upon release and obviously we'll support it to our utmost as time goes on.

Quote:
If you want to make OOTP, or any other baseball game, the diamond equivalent of CM/FM, you're going to need enough people involved in the project on a daily basis that have the same relationship. That understand when something is wrong, that knows when something feels right, that knows & understands baseball better than they know their multiplication tables. Otherwise, this merry-go-round is going to just going to keep on spinning, with nobody on either side of the equation truly getting what they want.

I agree wholeheartedly and Markus does indeed know baseball to an anal extent and again if the game proves successful and we are able to expand the team further then obviously baseball knowledge and a love of all such things will be one of the main things we'll look for ...

(please bear in mind that those of us baseball newbies within SI ... such as myself, haven't worked upon OOTP (beyond the 'techy' and/or suggestion level of things) simply because of this lack of knowledge)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #160
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Yeah, looking deeper, there are still some big problems. I told you guys, I just took a quick glance.
Please also bear in mind that screenshots/generated data which is given out pre-release is always going to be potentially screwy in some manner ...

This is simply because the game is still in development and as such there will be oddities within it until its finally tuned and tweaked for the gold master (or download equivalent ).

You'd be amazed at some of the stuff which is 'odd' in FM games up until a few weeks before release simply because of internal balancing issues.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #161
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

I have a minor complaint, but it's something that has always bugged me about the OOTP series.

It doesn't seem like velocity plays into a pitchers strikeout ability. I really hate seeing a guy who throws 85-87mph striking out 350 guys in a season.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #162
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
...says the guy posting on a Front Office Football message board.

You should go back to where you came from.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:24 PM   #163
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
C'mon, the guy has a point. It's not like this forum discusses anything outside of Front Office Football.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:48 PM   #164
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
He can't, he's been banned from there. Twice.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:00 PM   #165
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
He can't, he's been banned from there. Twice.

Shocking.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:03 PM   #166
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Please also bear in mind that screenshots/generated data which is given out pre-release is always going to be potentially screwy in some manner ...

This is simply because the game is still in development and as such there will be oddities within it until its finally tuned and tweaked for the gold master (or download equivalent ).

You'd be amazed at some of the stuff which is 'odd' in FM games up until a few weeks before release simply because of internal balancing issues.

I understand Marc. I know tweaks are being made to the game and it does look like some of the complaints were addressed in the latest build.

I'm going to d/l OOTP on Wednesday night and run it through its paces and judge it then. I'm not going to let past OOTP history get in the way. And some of these things aren't even game killers for me.

I can live with some 30 year old A ball players if the player development model is working and there are still 20 year olds developing right to the major leagues. I believe the amateur draft is 25 players or so from what I've been reading. If that's the case, the age of the lower minors is going to increase. Real MLB drafts have 50 rounds.

I'm also hard on baseball sims because I know baseball. I'm sure if I were a fan of soccer growing up, I'd have some issues with FM as well.

At the end of the day, provided there aren't any insane bugs (such as middle relievers making 30 starts, first round draft picks getting waived after one year, etc), the main thing is going to be how fun the game is.

Do I enjoy loading it up? Do I want to play one more season? Do I stay up an extra hour because the game has me hooked? If the answers are yes, I can forgive a lot of sins.

The last few versions of OOTP failed miserably for me in that regard. We'll find out about this one in a few days.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:55 PM   #167
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
I'll admit I'm a sucker sometimes. In this case, this is loyalty to a company.

I've never purchased an SI game that I didn't spend hours and hours on. Both the soccer and hockey games have been terrific. I'm taking a flyer on this one. It may bite me in the ass, but I'm someone who is loyal to companies who have consistently have hit the mark.

Despite my pessimism, I'm going to give this a fair chance. Now, if this game doesn't meet the mark? Then I'll have to reevaluate how I purchase hings from SI in the future.

I've never purchased an SI game that I spent more than 5 hours on. I've tried to like FM but couldn't, EHM was too hard to navigate and figure out what to do.. believe me, I love hockey. I won't make that mistake with ootp unless these issues we've went over are fixed, period. Puresim has my money and I still play 6.5 even though there are a few huge issues that annoy me.

Can I say that the SI interface really bugs me? It does... I do hope it succeeds though and I have no doubts Markus will support it.. there's too many people buying it. It's just frustrating to see these issues still exsist, even with a so called, "new engine". (shrugs shoulders)

I can't wait to hear your impressions Troy.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-29-2006 at 08:56 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:15 PM   #168
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

Briefly looking at these reports, and I say, "briefly".

Quote:
01-01-2015SISA scouting updated ratings (potential): Contact: 9 (10); Power: 2 (2); Eye: 8 (8).
04-01-2015Signed a 1-year minor league contract with the Detroit Hammerheads organization.
04-13-2015Won the FBLS A SL2 Player of the Week Award.
04-25-2015Was selected to the 2015 FBL Short Season A All-Star Game.
08-15-2015Released by the Detroit organization.
08-15-2015Signed a 1-year minor league contract with the Detroit Hammerheads organization.
11-15-2015Became a minor league free agent.
01-01-2016SISA scouting updated ratings (potential): Contact: 8 (9); Power: 1 (1); Eye: 9 (9).
04-01-2016Signed a 1-year minor league contract with the Denver Clippers organization.
07-26-2016Injured (Bruised Wrist), day-to-day for 2 weeks.

I love the scouting updated ratings line, but how does he win the player of the week award, then selected to the A all star game and then released? In the SAME DAY Detroit calls him back and says, "no hard feelings, we want you back". Three months later, they release him again?

This is like the third player I've looked at.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-29-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:20 PM   #169
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I've never purchased an SI game that I spent more than 5 hours on. I've tried to like FM but couldn't, EHM was too hard to navigate and figure out what to do.. believe me, I love hockey. I won't make that mistake with ootp unless these issues we've went over are fixed, period. Puresim has my money and I still play 6.5 even though there are a few huge issues that annoy me.

Can I say that the SI interface really bugs me? It does... I do hope it succeeds though and I have no doubts Markus will support it.. there's too many people buying it. It's just frustrating to see these issues still exsist, even with a so called, "new engine". (shrugs shoulders)

I can't wait to hear your impressions Troy.

We are far apart there. I love the SI interface. I find it easy to get to wherever I want to go and very intuitive.

Some of that was because FM hooked me.

I've played every SI release over 5 hours in a single sitting.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:19 PM   #170
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not sure if you know or not, but I believe JIMGA has been around since the first edition of OOTP and I believe was on a beta team for OOTP2 or 3.

Ouch. Did you have to remind me of that?

Easily THE worst voluntary experience of my entire life, one that quite possibly (hell, probably is more like it) colors my feelings about gaming in general to this day.

I was, almost without a doubt, the second most unhappy person in that whole ordeal. The name of the most unhappy escapes me at the moment, but he was the guy who screamed even louder than me most of the time.

I'm almost certain you'll remember the guy I'm talking about, hopefully you can fill in his screen name for me ('cause now that I've tried to think of it, it'll most likely bug the crap out of me until somebody comes up with it).
Old 05-29-2006, 11:44 PM   #171
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
At least I don't see top notch rookies on the waiver wire. That's something.

No, but guys who hold the all time single season HR record and have $27M left on their contract are released outright:

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...layer_647.html

There's a story behind this one though. After hitting 300 HRs over 6 seasons, including a monster season in which he belted 70, Troy Willis decided in 2014 that baseball in its current state was not providing him with the challenge that he craved. So, despite pleading from friends and family, Willis switched from using maple bats, to bats made entirely from balsa wood. The Virginia Beach Owl's management couldn't disuade him and were forced to let him go. The 30 yr old was unfazed, referring to himself as a 'born again catcher', and signed a minor league contract, returning to play in the rookie league in 2015.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:10 AM   #172
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
No, but guys who hold the all time single season HR record and have $27M left on their contract are released outright:

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...layer_647.html

There's a story behind this one though. After hitting 300 HRs over 6 seasons, including a monster season in which he belted 70, Troy Willis decided in 2014 that baseball in its current state was not providing him with the challenge that he craved. So, despite pleading from friends and family, Willis switched from using maple bats, to bats made entirely from balsa wood. The Virginia Beach Owl's management couldn't disuade him and were forced to let him go. The 30 yr old was unfazed, referring to himself as a 'born again catcher', and signed a minor league contract, returning to play in the rookie league in 2015.

Bizzare player. Look at his batting average and OBP.

He must have been hitting with balsa wood after 2013.

As usual in the history of OOTP, the problem isn't that he dropped off the map, it's how the game handled it. Same old, same old.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:39 AM   #173
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks
C'mon, the guy has a point. It's not like this forum discusses anything outside of Front Office Football.
I don't mean this in a mean way, but you're missing my point. FOF has some big ol' flaws and "undocumented features" of its own. The lack of an ability to choose a smaller league size is a deal-breaker for me (although I did buy FOF 2k4 and a couple earlier versions). I'm sure that the next version, when it comes out, will be great and all, but I am sure there will be guys who dismiss it out of hand without giving it a try like some here are doing with OOTP. All's I'm saying is, both the pot and the kettle are a little on the dark grey side.

As for being banned from OOTP, it's true. For those who don't go over there, their policy is basically that you get 4 warnings and then are kicked out forever. I was warned for rather silly things:

- For posting a link to Lego Porn.
- For another thread about posting your name at work with a certain unnamed part of your anatomy. It was a parody thread. They're popular over there. Well, they were before the OT section died.
- For quoting "Scarface". Apparently I got 4 warnings just for this one.

So I left and six months later came back with a new name, the same email address and IP, and so on. I expected to get banned immediately but didn't. Two of the mods knew who I was but didn't do anything because I wasn't doing anything to cause them to want to kick me out. Unfortunately, eventually the guy who dropped 4 warnings for one post on me the first time found out and booted me. I'd had no warnings this time and was simply told "creating aliai to get around bannings is against the rules".

Ah well. I think the rules are stupid, but that doesn't take anything away from the game. You can make up your own minds as to whether I am a bad person or not. I certainly cannot be accused of having an overly large sense of tact.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:44 AM   #174
Stevebsfan
n00b

Well, I went out and got Puresim, and all I have to say is I really can't wait for OOTP. Puresim is a nice game, i'm not going to bash it, but it's just not for me. I probably will wait a week or two, like I did for PS just to make sure they get the initial bugs ironed out, but i'm really hoping OOTP is going to be something real special in baseball sims. Hope i'm not let down
Old 05-30-2006, 02:29 AM   #175
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsfan
Well, I went out and got Puresim, and all I have to say is I really can't wait for OOTP. Puresim is a nice game, i'm not going to bash it, but it's just not for me. I probably will wait a week or two, like I did for PS just to make sure they get the initial bugs ironed out, but i'm really hoping OOTP is going to be something real special in baseball sims. Hope i'm not let down
I'll be honest... the latest Road to Release blog is making me REALLY randy for OOTP. I think PS is starting to get to the point where it can compete with OOTP 6.5, but the new version of OOTP... MAN.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:47 AM   #176
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll be honest... the latest Road to Release blog is making me REALLY randy for OOTP. I think PS is starting to get to the point where it can compete with OOTP 6.5, but the new version of OOTP... MAN.

So none of what has just been posted even concerns you a little? I mean, career HR leaders released with 27 million left on their contract? Guys getting released and resigned on the same day.

I mean, that doesn't even make you take a step back and worry?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:08 AM   #177
TroyF
Coordinator

New reports posted.

I looked at three guys and didn't see an issue. Which means all Markus had to do was have the other 2000+ players in the universe fixed and we should be ready to go.

FWIW, one of the guys I clicked on was 33 and in A ball. I was about to start a rip and realized after looking he was there after coming off a 7 month back injury. I don't have issues with that.

FWIW, I'm fairly certain the other 2000 guys aren't fixed. I'm keeping notes on what you guys are finding. When I get the full release, I'm running a sim from 1901 to 2006 with all fictional players.

I'll post those reports on a web site after I'm through. Look forwad to seeing what you guys find.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:20 AM   #178
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
So none of what has just been posted even concerns you a little? I mean, career HR leaders released with 27 million left on their contract? Guys getting released and resigned on the same day.

I mean, that doesn't even make you take a step back and worry?

I'm wondering if the release/resign issue might be some type of funky reporting of a renegotiated contract or something. I haven't spent any time looking through the reports, but when I see a post I'll follow the link and that was my first thought on seeing the release/resign stuff.

Also, when I followed the link to the career HR leader mentioned above, it took me to a mediocre pitcher so I don't know what's up with that. Maybe something to do with my internet history or the report had been updated since then. *shurg*
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:43 AM   #179
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Also, when I followed the link to the career HR leader mentioned above, it took me to a mediocre pitcher so I don't know what's up with that. Maybe something to do with my internet history or the report had been updated since then. *shurg*

Yeah that happens everytime they regenerate the reports - all past reports get replaced.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:51 AM   #180
miked
College Starter

Quote:
New reports posted.

I looked at three guys and didn't see an issue. Which means all Markus had to do was have the other 2000+ players in the universe fixed and we should be ready to go.

FWIW, one of the guys I clicked on was 33 and in A ball. I was about to start a rip and realized after looking he was there after coming off a 7 month back injury. I don't have issues with that.

FWIW, I'm fairly certain the other 2000 guys aren't fixed. I'm keeping notes on what you guys are finding. When I get the full release, I'm running a sim from 1901 to 2006 with all fictional players.

I'll post those reports on a web site after I'm through. Look forwad to seeing what you guys find.

Look harder. Felipe Mirales led the league in ERA and also logged an inning in CF/LF. 4 innings in RF and 3 innings at SS. From 2011-2015, he played 7 innings at SS, 8 in RF, 2 at 1B, nearly 3 in CF and a touch of LF.

But it's hard to fix these type of issues when you come on here preaching that waiver stupidity and lack of fundemental understanding of some aspects of the game is just developer/human error and shouldn't be expected to be fixed. Every little thing they post makes it seem more like Markus tried to duplicate 6.5 into a new engine and database of SI, and didn't take a look back and address the consistent problems that pop up every version.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:54 AM   #181
John Galt
Pro Starter

In the new reports, I noticed a couple worries. First, all the K leaders have low velocity. The highest velocity of the top 5 players is 86-88 MPH. I don't think that has ever happened. Second, there seems to be a lot of variability for pitchers with HRs allowed. While HRs allowed is often variable, I didn't see a lot of rhyme or reason for the changes. It seems like most pitchers were all over the map. But I didn't look at too many players, so maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited by John Galt : 05-30-2006 at 08:55 AM.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:01 AM   #182
John Galt
Pro Starter

I think the players out of position problem extends beyond pitchers. I see several 1B who spend time at 2B or SS either in the majors or in the minors. While 2B isn't unheard of, there shouldn't be any reason for a 1B to log 5 games in a season at SS. If someone is going to cover for a shortage at SS, it should be 3B, 2B, or a player should be called up to fill the hole. While it is certainly worse for a pitcher to be playing the field on a regular basis, I think the AI about covering holes in the lineup is a bit screwy from the ground up.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:01 AM   #183
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
In the new reports, I noticed a couple worries. First, all the K leaders have low velocity. The highest velocity of the top 5 players is 86-88 MPH. I don't think that has ever happened. Second, there seems to be a lot of variability for pitchers with HRs allowed. While HRs allowed is often variable, I didn't see a lot of rhyme or reason for the changes. It seems like most pitchers were all over the map. But I didn't look at too many players, so maybe I'm missing something.

I don't remember this being an issue in 6.5.. I'll have to dig into my career league when I get home tonight.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:05 AM   #184
John Galt
Pro Starter

Another concern. It seems to me that BABIP is way too consistent. While OOTP gave indications before that it was moving toward a strong DIPS theory, this version seems to reject DIPS entirely. Instead, pitchers who have bad luck seem to do so on a consistent basis. Again, I've only been looking at a few players, so maybe my sample size is skewed, but the numbers don't look right to me.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:10 AM   #185
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Another concern. It seems to me that BABIP is way too consistent. While OOTP gave indications before that it was moving toward a strong DIPS theory, this version seems to reject DIPS entirely. Instead, pitchers who have bad luck seem to do so on a consistent basis. Again, I've only been looking at a few players, so maybe my sample size is skewed, but the numbers don't look right to me.

Man, I'm gettin scared now...
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #186
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
Look harder. Felipe Mirales led the league in ERA and also logged an inning in CF/LF. 4 innings in RF and 3 innings at SS. From 2011-2015, he played 7 innings at SS, 8 in RF, 2 at 1B, nearly 3 in CF and a touch of LF.

But it's hard to fix these type of issues when you come on here preaching that waiver stupidity and lack of fundemental understanding of some aspects of the game is just developer/human error and shouldn't be expected to be fixed. Every little thing they post makes it seem more like Markus tried to duplicate 6.5 into a new engine and database of SI, and didn't take a look back and address the consistent problems that pop up every version.

I told you, there were 2000 guys I didn't look at.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #187
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm on the outside looking in here, but I remember having BABIP pegged at around .290 for each pitcher. The theory being that pure randomness would make fluctuations a normal part of the game. I'm not sure if he did, but I would have added a small random variance each year for each pitcher to get rid of any year-to-year correlation (just to be sure).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #188
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
I'm on the outside looking in here, but I remember having BABIP pegged at around .290 for each pitcher. The theory being that pure randomness would make fluctuations a normal part of the game. I'm not sure if he did, but I would have added a small random variance each year for each pitcher to get rid of any year-to-year correlation (just to be sure).

Below are the bad-luck pitchers that worried me:

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_6923.html
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_6270.html
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_7522.html
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_6910.html
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_6904.html

There are probably more, but those were the ones I was looking at. I didn't see any good-luck pitchers (but I didn't look too hard), so maybe the problem isn't too bad. But there are several pitchers who never seem to get their BABIP below .300.

Is there any report which has the whole league's BABIP? It may be that the whole league is skewed high (which isn't necessarily a problem)
Old 05-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #189
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked

First pitcher I looked at (selected the winningest pitcher on a dominant team)
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...layer_404.html
Stephen Watts of Philadelphia, not only is he a 3-time AS pitcher but he also logged time in the field at 1B, SS, RF, 3B, LF, and C.

Then again, so did their pitcher with the 2nd most IP for them
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_1370.html
Ed Bittner has played SS, LF, C, 2B, RF, CF.

Clearly Philadelphia acquires players on the philosophy of "best athlete available".
Old 05-30-2006, 10:15 AM   #190
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
First pitcher I looked at (selected the winningest pitcher on a dominant team)
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...layer_404.html
Stephen Watts of Philadelphia, not only is he a 3-time AS pitcher but he also logged time in the field at 1B, SS, RF, 3B, LF, and C.

He's probably a pitcher that refused to re-sign with his team and the owner is changing his primary position before cutting him.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #191
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Another thing I noticed (not sure if a bug at all) is that it seems that there are very few players that keep up their ratings enough to stay inthe majors. A lot of guys who were good, but then get sent back to the minor after several good seasons.

Looking at the career games played leaderboard:
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...eer_0_106.html

Granted this covers 11 years and only a few players are lucky enough to have such long careers, but over these 11 years, only 9 batters in total played in at least 80% of the games between 2006 and 2016. Is this accurate?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #192
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Poor Chavez Zuniga ... 22 y/o OF who can really play CF (19 fielding rating there, but just a 2 in LF and a 5 in RF). Average hitter at best, but boy he sure gets around.

Drafted in June 2014 by Houston (6th Round)
Traded in December 2014 to Scottsdale
In 2015 he plays 6 games at Short-A, 69 games at A, and 1 game in the majors

November 14th 2015 - Promoted from A to AA
March 5th 2016 - Recalled from AA (presumably to major league spring camp)
April 4th 2016 - Optioned to AA
April 22nd 2016 - Designated for assignment, put on waivers, taken off 40-man
April 25th 2016 - Assigned to A
May 28th 2016 - Assigned to Short-A
June 15th 2016 - Assigned to Rookie League
July 23rd 2016 - Promoted to Short-A
August 6th 2016 - Demoted to Rookie League
August 7th 2016 - Promoted to Short-A
August 13th 2016 - Demoted to Rookie League
August 14th 2016 - Released

That last week had to be kind of rough on the kid, I mean, he hits .351 in 17 games at Short-A, drives in 14 runs, steals 11 bases, but gets shuttled back down ... and then up ... and then down ... and then out ... all in a space of 29 days.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:32 AM   #193
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Some weirdness...

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ns_0_2015.html

By my count, from April 16 to April 29, the team assigned 17 different shortstops to Triple A Tacoma. There don't seem to be any repeats.

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ns_0_2015.html

This is the log for Tacoma... it looks like with each new SS that comes in, they demote the previous guy down the ladder (mostly to AA or rookie). Meanwhile, the lower levels are bouncing guys back up a level or two. Seems to be a state of flux for a week or two with shortstops being passed back and forth between levels.

For example:

Quote:
Monday, April 27th, 2015
Received SS D. Lassales from Major League Level Cleveland.
Tuesday, April 28th, 2015
Received SS S. Egbuhuzo from Major League Level Cleveland.
Demoted SS D. Lassales to Rookie League Buffalo.
Wednesday, April 29th, 2015
Received SS B. Rose from Major League Level Cleveland.
Demoted SS S. Egbuhuzo to Rookie League Buffalo.
Friday, May 1st, 2015
Received SS M. Henn from Double A Hampton Falls.
Demoted SS B. Rose to Double A Hampton Falls.

It just seems odd that a.) an organization would have 17 shortstops in the first place, and b.) that there would be so much movement after the season had started in early April.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #194
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Here's an interesting guy
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_9133.html

Eloy Paradez, 20 y/o, 6'6" 215 lb RHP (LHB though), Middle Reliever

06-15-2015 Drafted in the 2015 first-year player draft (Round 22, Pick 6, 342nd overall Pick) by the Houston Fury.
07-18-2015 Was selected to the 2015 FBL Rookie League All-Star Game.
01-01-2016 SISA scouting updated ratings (potential): Stuff: - (-); Movement: 1 (6); Control: - (-).
06-16-2016 Released by the Houston organization.
06-20-2016 Signed a 1-year minor league contract with the Philadelphia Moguls organization.

In & of themselves, the transactions aren't all that interesting. But check out his stats from his All-Star season:
16 games, 1-0, 3.96 ERA, 25 IP, 15 BB, 10 K, 1.56 WHIP,

Either this rookie league is really pitching weak or else he had a relative on the All-Star selection committee.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:44 AM   #195
cuervo72
Head Coach

Wai-wai-wait...I'm still stuck on v5, but looking at the guys that Galt listed...is ground ball % not even a percentage anymore? Is this a 1-10 deal? Why is it even listed as a percentage then?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #196
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Poor Chavez Zuniga ... 22 y/o OF who can really play CF (19 fielding rating there, but just a 2 in LF and a 5 in RF). Average hitter at best, but boy he sure gets around.

Drafted in June 2014 by Houston (6th Round)
Traded in December 2014 to Scottsdale
In 2015 he plays 6 games at Short-A, 69 games at A, and 1 game in the majors

November 14th 2015 - Promoted from A to AA
March 5th 2016 - Recalled from AA (presumably to major league spring camp)
April 4th 2016 - Optioned to AA
April 22nd 2016 - Designated for assignment, put on waivers, taken off 40-man
April 25th 2016 - Assigned to A
May 28th 2016 - Assigned to Short-A
June 15th 2016 - Assigned to Rookie League
July 23rd 2016 - Promoted to Short-A
August 6th 2016 - Demoted to Rookie League
August 7th 2016 - Promoted to Short-A
August 13th 2016 - Demoted to Rookie League
August 14th 2016 - Released

That last week had to be kind of rough on the kid, I mean, he hits .351 in 17 games at Short-A, drives in 14 runs, steals 11 bases, but gets shuttled back down ... and then up ... and then down ... and then out ... all in a space of 29 days.

Man, hopefully stuff like that is the exception to the rule, I think I'll be waiting on this game for now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #197
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
It just seems odd that a.) an organization would have 17 shortstops in the first place, and b.) that there would be so much movement after the season had started in early April.

Not any odder IMO than Scottsdale having 11 RF, 6 CF, and 6 LF ... all assigned to their Rookie League team.
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ster_page.html

Of course, maybe they're just balancing their roster:
1B = 7
2B = 3
3B = 2
SS = 6
C = 4
So 22 non-outfielders.

But I'm sure the logjam of 23 OF's will clear up soon ... after all, 10 of those are age 25+

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-30-2006 at 10:47 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:47 AM   #198
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

A usability suggestion, totally unrelated to stats, etc:

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...00_scores.html

This is the boxscores page. You can choose a new date using the dropdowns in the top-left area. However, the page is set to auto-load after each selection. So if I want to change from August 15, 2016 to April 7, 2015, I have to wait for three new screens to load.

Would be better to turn off the auto-load and just have a "go" button I could click once I had the date set.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #199
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And this crap is with less than a half hour of looking at the HTML reports.

Go back & read what I said earlier -- if you want to get this right, you better find some people who have the slightest clue how baseball actually works.

Right now, the personnel management is downright comical.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #200
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

On a team's main page, there is a fielding report. At the bottom of that report there's a note that reads "Numbers in headings are league average values." But I don't see any numbers in the headings.

e.g. http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...r_11_2015.html

Also, it would be more user-friendly to have title tags on the HTML pages. These could be auto-generated, along the lines of [report name] - [team name] - [year]