Hall Of Famer

I predict they basically get what USC got even tho they deserve worse

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #152
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

They are in south Florida, so that will be factored into the penalty as mitigation in a "they're already suffering so much" way.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #153
Atocep
Coordinator

CaneInsider reporting that Miami will receive its notice of allegations within the next 72 hours.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #154
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
To be fair, Caltech has been unfairly and brutally dominating their competition for far too long, leaving the NCAA little choice but to get involved. Athletics can't dominate a university, you know.

Heh. I know this is old but a local kid apparently got offered a baseball scholly to Caltech ... he basically said he'd take the scholarship & go there ... but only if he didn't actually have to play baseball

BTW, he's a career backup in HS.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-12-2013 at 02:56 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #155
molson
General Manager

If they actually ever get around to this in the next few years, remember, the NCAA has now established football program penalties for covering up mass child rape, so any future penalty has to be relative to that. Is cheating at recruiting half as bad as covering up child rape? 10% as bad?

Last edited by molson : 01-12-2013 at 03:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #156
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's why the mass child rape should have been death penalty so there's a little wiggle room below that (oh, and because of the abhorrent acts committed)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-12-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #157
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's why the mass child rape should have been death penalty so there's a little wiggle room below that (oh, and because of the abhorrent acts committed)

SI

Or treat child rape like an actual serious life-and-death matter bigger than sports and not in the same way you punish agents for buying houses for athlete's parents. (though, I guess the death penalty would have gotten closer to that than the absurdity of taking scholarships away, but still, the NCAA turns anything it gets involved with into a joke, so I'd rather they keep themselves contained to the "joke" of "student athletes" at big-time universities.)

Edit: But instead, this is the position they've put themselves in - I suspect on purpose. If child rape is just an another rules violation punishable by taking away X number of scholarships (and who they're "punishing" is never quite clear with the NCAA, though I think we established in previous threads its the Penn St. community that "liked football too much" and thus caused this), then any other scholarship penalty for silly recruiting stuff just looks ridiculous. If this is the scale we're on, Miami should get nothing more than a letter of censure or something. And I think that was part of the NCAA getting involved in the Penn St thing. They have much less pressure now to actually punish in traditional areas. To take 2+ years (and counting) to look into the Miami stuff is ridiculous. The more time that goes buy the more pointless any "punishment" is.

Last edited by molson : 01-12-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #158
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Expect it to look like the USC or Ohio State stuff rather than, you know, the death penalty. Which, again is what Miami deserves but they'll never death penalty any program again.

SI

Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #159
Logan
Head Coach

Going to be a while before we hear anything:

NCAA: Former staff members worked improperly with Shapiro during Miami investigator - The Washington Post
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #160
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I've heard that this investigation is an unmitigated disaster. I was told that Mizzou and Haith attorneys have already drawn up a lawsuit against the NCAA for the leak earlier this week, ready to file depending on what the NCAA rules. The leak to Goodman came from the same lady who was fired over the Shabazz Muhammad debacle. She was also a KU grad, which should only add further fuel to the fire.

Given what's in this article, the NCAA is going to have a VERY hard time making any significant ruling stick in this investigation.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #161
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Comical.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #162
Logan
Head Coach

Apparently Nevin Shapiro's attorney was on the NCAAs payroll.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #163
molson
General Manager

They're just out of their league with this stuff, they need to go back to focusing on the South Dakota St. woman's golf team.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #164
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
They're just out of their league with this stuff, they need to go back to focusing on the South Dakota St. woman's golf team.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #165
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This basically sums up the situation. With a good chunk of Shapiro's information likely thrown out, this investigation is cooked. Any penalties levied would be challenged in a court of law.

An embarrassing day for the NCAA is a good day for Missouri's Frank Haith - CBSSports.com

It appears that Melissa Conboy (also a KU law school graduate) was also involved with the leak of information to Goodman in addition to being involved with Shapiro's lawyer while on staff per 810 AM here in KC.

This is better than an episode of 'The Young and the Restless'.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #166
Logan
Head Coach

Don't worry, I'm sure Haith will fuck up again.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #167
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Don't worry, I'm sure Haith will fuck up again.

Your check is in the mail.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #168
larrymcg421
Head Coach

"Reduced scholarships, extended bowl ban for Miami. Death Penalty for NCAA"

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #169
molson
General Manager

Remember when everybody here thought North Carolina would get the death penalty?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #170
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
This basically sums up the situation. With a good chunk of Shapiro's information likely thrown out, this investigation is cooked. Any penalties levied would be challenged in a court of law.

An embarrassing day for the NCAA is a good day for Missouri's Frank Haith - CBSSports.com

It appears that Melissa Conboy (also a KU law school graduate) was also involved with the leak of information to Goodman in addition to being involved with Shapiro's lawyer while on staff per 810 AM here in KC.

This is better than an episode of 'The Young and the Restless'.

I couldn't disagree with you more on this one. The Frank Haith situation is so much like politics (other party does it send them to jail, my side does it then its business as usual) it isn't even funny. So I am a member of a couple of Mizzou boards that are like this one where there is a lot of OT talk. Everyone on those boards wants the death penalty for Penn State, they think OSU is slimy and deserves what they got, they thought Miami deserves the death penalty but all of sudden we hire a slimy guy and it is the NCAA and KU people that are in the wrong. Give me a break if Mizzou had any integrity Haith would be out on his ass and probably shouldn't have been hired in the first place. This isn't a KU grad trying to nail Mizzou its Mizzou's current coach being caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I can't sit and post in the Lance Armstrong thread about cheaters and then excuse Frank Haith because his tie is black and gold. /END RANT
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #171
RedKingGold
College Starter

Well said, fight the power!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #172
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more on this one. The Frank Haith situation is so much like politics (other party does it send them to jail, my side does it then its business as usual) it isn't even funny. So I am a member of a couple of Mizzou boards that are like this one where there is a lot of OT talk. Everyone on those boards wants the death penalty for Penn State, they think OSU is slimy and deserves what they got, they thought Miami deserves the death penalty but all of sudden we hire a slimy guy and it is the NCAA and KU people that are in the wrong. Give me a break if Mizzou had any integrity Haith would be out on his ass and probably shouldn't have been hired in the first place. This isn't a KU grad trying to nail Mizzou its Mizzou's current coach being caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I can't sit and post in the Lance Armstrong thread about cheaters and then excuse Frank Haith because his tie is black and gold. /END RANT

You must be viewing different Mizzou boards than the ones I'm on. Most that I have seen think the NCAA has overstepped its bounds in all three instances that you cited.

Haith hasn't been proven guilty in any way. All we have right now is a convicted felon as a witness and his lawyer collecting money from the investigating party. There couldn't be a bigger conflict of interest if you try. Couple that with the lead investigator in the Miami investigation being the same person who was fired for misconduct in another investigation and there's little question that the NCAA has set a standard that doesn't lead anyone to believe that they can do a competent job of enforcing their own rules.

You don't excuse him because his tie is black and gold. You excuse him (and Miami for that matter) because there's been a gross level of incompetence by the investigating entity.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #173
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I disagree in that I think both are true. It's the nature of college sports for every team to think their team is virtuous and everyone else is cheating. I don't like it either, but it's reality. Frankly, it's a corollary to why I'm not on Joe Paterno -- it's hard to believe that someone (a family, a friend, a university) did something wrong, and you're more likely to believe the best of your friend and the worst of your enemy.

I don't know if the fact she was a kU grad influence her thinking, but it doesn't look good. I wouldn't expect a kU grad to investigate MU anymore than a Duke grad should investigate UNC. It looks bad.

For what it's worth, I'm one of the few Mizzou fans who has never approved of the Haith hire. It's great that he had a nice season last year but it proved nothing to me. I think he's a sleazy cheater, and I wish he wasn't our coach.

But kU cheats too, so what are you going to do?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #174
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I disagree in that I think both are true. It's the nature of college sports for every team to think their team is virtuous and everyone else is cheating. I don't like it either, but it's reality. Frankly, it's a corollary to why I'm not on Joe Paterno -- it's hard to believe that someone (a family, a friend, a university) did something wrong, and you're more likely to believe the best of your friend and the worst of your enemy.

I don't know if the fact she was a kU grad influence her thinking, but it doesn't look good. I wouldn't expect a kU grad to investigate MU anymore than a Duke grad should investigate UNC. It looks bad.

For what it's worth, I'm one of the few Mizzou fans who has never approved of the Haith hire. It's great that he had a nice season last year but it proved nothing to me. I think he's a sleazy cheater, and I wish he wasn't our coach.

But kU cheats too, so what are you going to do?

Agree on Haith. I think because Anderson left town in the middle of the night he doesn't get enough credit from our fans for the exceptionial team he left us last year and Haith seems to be proving this year that he can lands the guys but has trouble getting them to work to together (the coaching part of being a coach aka Quin Snyder)

The KU stuff is just silly though and even though MBBF seems to buy into it I won't lay this on just him as I hear it all over the Mizzou boards. Listen I used to consider them as hated a rival as anyone but in my own job worked with KU guys and thought nothing of it. This girl is going to put her ass on the line to "nail Mizzou"? For all we know she doesn't even know KU has a basketball team. It really does make us look petty and like we are looking for excuses. And I would call out a UCLA fan who said this about USC or a OSU fan who said this about Michigan so its stupid for MBBF to even imply that plays into this at all. A large amount of cash was most likely given to the Miami player. The fact that the coach is now at Mizzou doesn't change my opinion on the matter now.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #175
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Nice. I felt the same way when IU hired Sampson. I was shocked and pissed that they would hire a known cheater. We deserved everything we got as far as the punishments were concerned.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-24-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #176
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Agree on Haith. I think because Anderson left town in the middle of the night he doesn't get enough credit from our fans for the exceptionial team he left us last year and Haith seems to be proving this year that he can lands the guys but has trouble getting them to work to together (the coaching part of being a coach aka Quin Snyder)

The KU stuff is just silly though and even though MBBF seems to buy into it I won't lay this on just him as I hear it all over the Mizzou boards. Listen I used to consider them as hated a rival as anyone but in my own job worked with KU guys and thought nothing of it. This girl is going to put her ass on the line to "nail Mizzou"? For all we know she doesn't even know KU has a basketball team. It really does make us look petty and like we are looking for excuses. And I would call out a UCLA fan who said this about USC or a OSU fan who said this about Michigan so its stupid for MBBF to even imply that plays into this at all. A large amount of cash was most likely given to the Miami player. The fact that the coach is now at Mizzou doesn't change my opinion on the matter now.

There's no excuses to be made. Abby Grantstein must have done some masterful work to get to the position she held in the NCAA. She was the compliance officer at KU when the department was cited by the NCAA for lacking proper compliance controls. The NCAA decided that was good enough reason to hire her????

In addition, she was the LEAD investigator in the Selby eligibility case for the NCAA as reported today by the St. Louis Dispatch. How the hell does the former compliance officer for KU get the lead on investigating an issue at her former school? I guess we shouldn't be surprised why he was allowed to play when most believed it should not have happened. And how does the NCAA allow her to investigate an issue related to Mizzou given the rivalry? For comparison, the current Mizzou rep on the NCAA investigation group recused himself from both the Miami investigation and also from any and all KU investigations. It's just common sense.

As panerd says, I'm sure she knows nothing about the sports programs. Oh, wait.......isn't that Abby in Allen Fieldhouse???? And isn't that her boyfriend next to her? You remember, the guy who couldn't keep his mouth shut in regards to the UCLA investigation? And just to add a bit more excitement, the girl on the right is now the lead compliance officer at Baylor. We all know they run a dandy compliance program.

And then this pops up on Tigerboard this morning. It's a grain of salt kind of thing, but there's a lot of interesting information in here. Granted, there's no firm citation of who he talked with, but Goodman hasn't cited his source either and it appears now that his 'source' was incorrect on multiple things.....

Quote:
Well my man told me there was no notice of allegation in regards to paying for Jones *or* lying about it on Monday. Sadly it seems a simple fabrication posed as a "leak" w/o multiple sources to confirm it is taken as the gospel now. Also notice how NOT. ONE. SINGLE. OTHER. NEWS. ORGANIZATION. HAS. VERIFIED. THIS. STORY.

My man maintains that there was never going to be, nor will there be a NOA on the Jones matter. So calm down, as paying players & he stressed lying about is the worst you can do this side of Penn St. Actually he said "getting caught paying players" which does make me think deeper, but I will stay on point.

He did remind me that the Travel issue remains, and is valid. Proving Shapiro had access to recruits is hit or miss, same for Bball players once off campus hanging around him.

Even both of those are secondary, as the footballplayers were they people Shapiro loved to wine and dine.

So, there is the minor travel violation coming for sure. Maybe another secondary one for NS seeing recruits.

Overall, he said This case is a total cluster from top to bottom. You had the president and AD kssing NS's ass and taking donations, FB players living large, and Randy Shannon ordering everyone to stay away from the guy. NS claimed in 2010 that he would write a book that would take UM down to Chinatown, Charles Robinson took him up on the offer, and released his story in Aug of 2011. The NCAA literally used it as guide and found out some more stuff, found some of it unsubstantiated, and found the President, Board, & AD all knew. ALL OF THEM.

When I asked, then why haven't they (Miami higher ups) resigned? He said, they simply dug in, and dug deep. He said, they encircled themselves with good attorneys, and paid a settlement to another partner in the Axcess Sports firm he co-owned, Michael Huyghue w/ a non disclosure agreement. The ACC has quite a bit of pull, and does not want to see Miami turn into SMU, and flat said they helped them navigate. YES, he said that. I guess that is how it works in a good conference.

So, he said a majority of the wrongdoing was done by the football squad, who partied, drank, shopped, got prostitutes, drugs, and took recruits to or with NS, but all of those folks cannot be served a subpeona by the NCAA. Neither can Huygue be forced to break his NDA. The investigative team was innudated with mountains of stuff they could not prove, along with tons of stuff they can. It was as complex as it long because there is so much to record, verify, and investigate. Remember, there are pictures of everyone in Miami hanging with NS, who donated hundreds of thousands to UM.

After 6 months, one memo stated they had enough recorded to give UM the death penalty for 5 years, and asked to stop and just go after what they knew they could prove. Obviously, they were told to leave no stone unturned. Back to the grind they went. Then, he said politics started seeping in, and they found the pressures guiding them away from certain areas. This was the ACC or even folks in the NCAA to drop the prostitution or drug dealer angle as they didn't want that "out there". Just stick to the other stuff, then...it was drop the Axcess Sports, Michael Huyghue connection to NS & UM. Hmmmmm..not so tedious investigation now huh? Then one of the investigators is relieved,..Ms you know who...then the Notre Dame lady who literally wanted to burn the campus down started to seek other ways to prove the charges. She was also the one driving force along with KC guy to "really Focus on HCFH". Somwhere in this time, I assume is when the choice to retain Maria Elena-Perez, because once they started directing this, procedure, professionalism, and about everything else went out the window. The team did not like being guided by powers that be within the NCAA, or ACC for that matter. It was acrymonious at times. Several on the committee reviewing what they had, tried to focus on what could be presented in the best light w/o undue embarassment. After Septmeber, when several members term expire is when it got silly.

At this point, he said there was not much activity, as there was a focus on review as to what they had and could prove. He stated that they could investigate this for a few more years, & still be sifting through it given their rules of engagement.
All of the sudden they are hearing that they are discussing the puishment before the report is complete. 3 year ban or 4 year ban? This coach or that one? take way 10 schollies or 15? People on much different pages, all of the time. Well the clusterfudge was continuing with no wrap up in sight, when various people started hearing reports that Miami was about to be notified of it's charges and the investigation was wrapping up?? This was news to a great many, and NO ONE knew who or whom. They had kept open communiacation with Miami. the coaches, current and former, and were not sure who started that "story" Miami denied it, and they issued their Standard "We cannot comment" That was last week, and then nothing. After an internal butt chewing from higher ups, it was revealed that someone had hired Maria Elena-Perez and the obvious COI if not lawbreaking actions had occurred. Seams that someone who was told "not to worry about it" went above her head. and BOOM!!!

This all came to ahead a few weeks ago with Maria Elena-Perez, then the story claiming allegations coming. Obviously a cluster. No one trusting anyone, everyone with an agenda, & the ACC & factions of the NCAA wanting their say.

And in walks Goodman.....to literally blow up the NCAA as we know it. Goodman runs with a story, (a leak he calls it) that everyone instantly recognizes as bull****, & knows EXACTLY who did it. He reminds me, that professional people dont act like this, and that most are stunned by it...b/c..it IS NOT TRUE. He then says, notice how no one else confirmed it? No one else picked it up. That day a memo went out to circle the wagons & for everyone to STFU. Most dont care now, & today they announce it is on hold pending review from another firm. She did it, and everyone knows it.

As to us, They never saw the ku angle on this, until someone from Mizzou (not me) pointed out how odd this was...& very coincidentalit it was. Then everyone saw it. Now, how can they trust the judgment of a member? Her reputation is gone,case tainted, and she authorized Maria Elena-Perez to come on board???

In the end, Miami is getting 3 or 4 year bowl bans, some scholarships lost, and less visits. Not sure about any of the football coaches *NOW*, before, they were walking dead. As to Haith, never a serious charge was coming. All his interaction with NS seemed to be to accomadate a wealthy donor. In Miami, that means meeting at night clubs or strip joints. Not the family atmosphere the NCAA wants, but not breaking the rules either. He is getting a slap on the wrist.

When I asked if he thinks he did it, he said they can't prove it. ummmm..I asked again, for a yes or no...he said no. His reason was that HCFH left his assistants after the Final Four meeting with our AD. Had been w/ them for years, but he said goodbye and wished them the best of luck. Apparently HCFH had to get by with no funding at UM and wanted a better staff. Kind of cold hearted & dickish..but that's life. He did help them seek othe jobs. My man said if anyone could have buried HCFH, it was one of those guys...and none did. He alluded that they weren't that bright and offered up details on other things...so they weren't coached on their interviews very well...so in the end he doesn't believe HCFH paid for players or lied about it.

As for the NCAA...he said he has no other event to compare it to other than WATERGATE!! It is simply that bad, & all the players have major dirt on each other...with a respected firm coming in to clean up. Either the NCAA decares a "mistrial" if you will and keeps everything buried...or Armegeddon breaks out, with repercussions from USC to PennST to UNC to the NFL. He can't tell me anymore as it is all just that f**kingbad.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #177
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like a lot of Mizzou fans making excuses for Haith being involved in something dirty. Like I said it happens in politics all the time. The GOP does something crooked, shows what Obama does that is worse. Slam the investigator but avoid addressing the actual problem. And yes that story is just Mizzou fans now covering for Haith because he is on their team. Scroll back in this thread 3 pages and find yourself slamming Miami when there was no Mizzou connection and not worrying about KU ties to the investigation.

Quote:
Or they make a perfect expansion match for the SEC. Bama's going to be pissed if they get knocked off the 'top cheater' perch.

This really isn't that complex. You are defending Haith because he is at Mizzou. The guy is from a dirty program and has dirt on his hands. This KU woman didn't make up the bag of cash story just to finally get her chance to take down the "rival" that beat them 25-30% of the time in basketball.

Last edited by panerd : 01-24-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #178
Logan
Head Coach

Bravo, panerd. You've earned some credibility.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #179
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Bravo, panerd. You've earned some credibility.

I think Kodos put it best with his Sampson post. He wants Indiana to win but not at any cost. Mizzou already went through Quin Snyder dragging our program's name through the dirt. Norm Stewart is a Mizzou icon (and deserves to be) but he got us into some shit with his Detroit fiasco. I refuse to look the other way just because it's Mizzou. I would much rather be the "best basketball program to never make a final four" than have slime like John Calipari straddling the line of right/wrong and vacating national titles ten years down the line.

Had Bill Self been under investigation for something he did at Illinois and SI came on and said because a Mizzou guy is investigating it's all bullshit MBBF would have possibly gone into cardiac arrest. It's dumb.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #180
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of Mizzou fans making excuses for Haith being involved in something dirty. Like I said it happens in politics all the time. The GOP does something crooked, shows what Obama does that is worse. Slam the investigator but avoid addressing the actual problem.

This really isn't that complex. You are defending Haith because he is at Mizzou. The guy is from a dirty program and has dirt on his hands. This KU woman didn't make up the bag of cash story just to finally get her chance to take down the "rival" that beat them 25-30% of the time in basketball.

I agree. It's not that complex. The issue here isn't Haith and whether or not he's guilty. I have consistently made posts saying that I think Haith DID break rules at some level. Not sure why you continue to attack that paper tiger (and Logan even gave you credibility for slashing that paper tiger in half).

The issue is that there's a clear conflict of interest, both in regards to the lead investigator on the investigation and her decision to hire Shapiro's lawyer. It's really that simple and you couldn't be more correct about that. Her poor decision-making will lead to nearly all charges against Haith being thrown out and some of the football program charges as well. In addition, this will only add fuel to the discussions that the member institutions have been having in recent months about breaking off of the NCAA and creating a new governing body.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #181
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Mizzou already went through Quin Snyder dragging our program's name through the dirt.

And if you remember correctly, that's the same Quin Snyder who boasted (much to the chagrin of his Duke associates) that everything he was charged for (plane tickets to recruits, promotional clothes to recruits) was business as usual while he was at Duke. But you don't see them being cited.

Quote:
Had Bill Self been under investigation for something he did at Illinois and SI came on and said because a Mizzou guy is investigating it's all bullshit MBBF would have possibly gone into cardiac arrest. It's dumb.

That wouldn't have happened as I already cited. The 'Mizzou Guy' has recused himself from three different KU investigations since he joined the compliance board. It's dumb because it's common sense that he shouldn't be involved.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #182
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Not sure why the lawyer in question decided to agree to this interview and then say what she said. Not only did she further hurt the NCAA with some of her comments, she also broke multiple Florida lawyer laws regarding discussion of clients that she is representing. There's several comments at the bottom of the article by Florida lawyers who cite which sections she violated and how contradictory her comments were in this article.

Nevin Shapiro's attorney says she did nothing wrong working with NCAA on Miami probe - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #183
Izulde
Head Coach

These new recruiting rules are going to be a disaster IMO.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #184
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
These new recruiting rules are going to be a disaster IMO.

Agreed.
They simply can't last.

I remember before th text message ban, players were literally having their phones disconnected because they couldn't afford the bills from the shear volume of text messages they were receiving.

Remember urban Meyer had 4 full time g.a.s who did nothing but send txt messages. I remember reading. Terbie where recruits said he texted them during the spring game, saying this p,ay would have worked better with you carrying g the ball.of course it wasn't him texting them but they thought it was.

I was talking to a member of Clemsons s&c staff who was a former player, and he was a 3 star recruit...not anywhere near a franchise talent. He said at its peak he was getting 300-350 text messages a day from college coaches, and cited one coach (Uga cmr) who was himself texting him 50+ times a day. He said every morning at 6am he'd get simultaneous texts, it's a great day to be a tiger, dog, gator, Seminole..you name it.now the NCAA has re allowed this.

And no limit on support staff...the rich just got richer.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #185
britrock88
Pro Starter

And a head rolls...

N.C.A.A. Ousts Julie Roe Lach as Vice President of Enforcement - NYTimes.com
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #186
molson
General Manager

This Dana O'Neil lady at ESPN.com has become quite adept at pointing out how stupid and incompetent the NCAA is. They're going to have to either let this Miami thing go or have a scaled-down resolution that Miami consents to.

In Miami debacle, NCAA President Mark Emmert leaves accountability to others - ESPN

"So far on Emmert's watch, the NCAA has bungled and fumbled multiple investigations (Cam Newton, Shabazz Muhammad and now Miami); fired two NCAA investigators; saw the exits of two enforcement administrators (director of enforcement Bill Benjamin resigned in June, just eight months after taking the job); and gone well outside of its own rulebook and sidestepped due process to punish Penn State, which generated a lawsuit from none other than the state of Pennsylvania.

Yet Emmert continues to pontificate from his self-righteous pulpit, ironically employing the same line of defense that forced the NCAA to enact the new rule for head coaches

'I knew nothing.'

It's the same Sergeant Schultz line Jim Calhoun parroted when he faced sanctions over Connecticut's recruitment of Nate Miles; that Kelvin Sampson used while taking Indiana down on an epic fall; that Eddie Sutton used when the Emery envelope spilled piles of cash; that coaches have utilized since NCAA punishments began.

(In each case, interestingly, there was a stoic assistant who took the fall for the boss. Each school's own Julie Roe Lach, if you will.)

The NCAA now has taken away that defense for its head coaches, yet somehow it's still OK for the NCAA president who oversees and punishes said coaches."

Last edited by molson : 02-19-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Lost in all this (to me anyway) is what Miami did/didn't do. Honestly, I'm more interested in that than I am about how the NCAA investigates it.

If Miami fucked up then jam 'em. If the NCAA is planting evidence or whatever then jam them.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #188
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

In fairness to Emmert, the analogy with college coaches isn't perfect: a new coach at a school generally is able to bring in all of the assistant coaches and football-specific support staff of his choice; in taking over a bureaucracy of the size of the NCAA, Emmert was not able to just fire everyone and hand pick all of his own folks. From what I've heard from folks that know Emmert from his time as UW President, he's been facing a lot of hurdles in working through clearing out dead wood and problem folks at the NCAA, and the process has been slow & painful.

That's not to fully exonerate Emmert, but just to point out that it's not the easy comparison O'Neil attempts to make.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #189
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Had a friend of mine come up to me today who is also a local politician. As it turns out, his brother has taken the position formerly held by Julie Roe Lach. Funny enough, he's also a KU law grad (which seems to be a reoccurring theme here). I told him I was a bit surprised that anyone would take that job at this point. He just chuckled and agreed.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #190
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wait a second. So you're telling me that the media reports were incorrect? Color me shocked.

Missouri's Haith faces less serious failure to monitor from NCAA - CBSSports.com

The only thing more funny than the rush to judgment is the fact that Haith has been charged with failure to monitor. The NCAA has a lot of balls accusing anyone of a failure to monitor at this point. If this results in anything more than maybe a one game suspension, I'd be floored.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #191
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Wait a second. So you're telling me that the media reports were incorrect? Color me shocked.

Missouri's Haith faces less serious failure to monitor from NCAA - CBSSports.com

The only thing more funny than the rush to judgment is the fact that Haith has been charged with failure to monitor. The NCAA has a lot of balls accusing anyone of a failure to monitor at this point. If this results in anything more than maybe a one game suspension, I'd be floored.

Congratulations on hiring a coach that you described was guilty of only "some minor cheating". Real standard of excellence over there.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #192
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Congratulations on hiring a coach that you described was guilty of only "some minor cheating". Real standard of excellence over there.

Dude, we're in the SEC now. That's regarded as a clean program.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #193
Butter
Coordinator

I'm pretty sure the entire NCAA is a sham organization created by some KU grads in order to make Missouri look bad.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #194
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I'm pretty sure the entire NCAA is a sham organization created by some KU grads in order to make Missouri look bad.

The NCAA wasn't created by KU grads. But judging from the current situation, the hiring of KU law grads brought the NCAA to an all new level........
Old 02-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #195
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Figured this was just as good of a thread as any to post another NCAA WTF moment.......

Johnny Manziel Opens Massive Loophole in Paying Players Rule : Outkick The Coverage
Old 02-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #196
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Figured this was just as good of a thread as any to post another NCAA WTF moment.......

Johnny Manziel Opens Massive Loophole in Paying Players Rule : Outkick The Coverage

Quote:
For instance, some articles have purported that the loophole that was exposed is so large that a car can be driven through it, questioning what would prevent boosters from intentionally infringing on Manziel’s trademark, being sued, and then settling out of court for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Well nothing really, except for possible violations of some federal criminal statutes (wire fraud? even perhaps racketeering?) and collusion in filing of a frivolous lawsuit. The NCAA would have a field day with that.

Johnny Football To Become Johnny Cash?: Protecting Manziel's Intellectual Property And Ability To Cash-In - Forbes
Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #197
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like penalties have been handed out in the Miami case......

Saint Mary's Gaels penalized for recruiting violations - ESPN
Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #198
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Saw a good metaphor regarding the St. Mary's penalties. The NCAA had a bad day at work (Miami) and went home and kicked the dog (St. Mary's).

What happened at Miami was a lot worse than was happening at St. Mary's. Anyone want to bet Miami doesn't get penalties much worse?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #199
Atocep
Coordinator

St. Mary's got off easy considering they were paying for travel for foreign players to visit and it was something Randy Bennett had full knowledge of. The scholarship reductions hurt, but the rest of the penalties are minor. He could have easily been given a show cause penalty.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #200
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The hits just keep on coming........

NCAA investigator Ameen Najjar wrote letter on Nevin Shapiro's behalf - ESPN