Redskins 16 11.11%
The UFL's Orlando Fighting Trout 31 21.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #151
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Can we just keep Vick the football player and Vick the criminal separate please? I hate all this dog stuff that clogs any Vick thread up. I'm interested in him as a football player, and I have to come in here and see people throwing their arms up on both sides of the Vick thing (either people that think he should be tortured or people that think it wasn't so bad).

I think the problem, at least how I see it, is that Vick should have lost the privilege of playing a professional sport for money. Yes, playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. I feel that he should be able to earn a living like everyone else, just not in the NFL. With that being said, I will now refrain from anymore non-football comments in this thread, as I understand your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #152
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't think you can separate him from what he did, any more than O.J. Simpson can be separated. Or Ronnie Spector can be talked about without mentioning his bad hair.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #153
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Kodos has made a valid point
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RonnieSpectorHair.jpg (33.0 KB, 179 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #154
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If Vick tortured and killed dozens of humans, I bet he'd get more than a six game suspension.

He'd be re-elected President of the United States?

I keed
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #155
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
And the Bills are still denying it, but he was seen here at the Cheesecake Factory eating and made comments about being here to see the Bills...

We will see.

I like that of all the places in Buffalo, he went to Cheesecake Factory (in the mall).

I don't see how he would fit in. We are pretty stocked at our skill positions on offense and Edwards is the QB.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #156
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

the Eagles!!!!!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #157
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well they just became the most hated team in America
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #158
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

McNabb must be loving Andy right about now..first kolb and now vick..pfft
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #159
RendeR
Coordinator

Philadelphia just created their own demise this season.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #160
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Philadelphia just created their own demise this season.

how so? arguably one of the top 5 teams in the league and (without knowing th contract details yet) took a low risk/high reward chance on a former superstar who will likely play very little role this season, at least early.

yes there will be some more media attention, but its not like the eagles arent heavily covered anyways.... so!?
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #161
RedKingGold
College Starter

In all fairness, our demise will be determined by the piss-poor play of our offensive line.

Jesus could be back there, and he'd still get sacked in the Holy Water.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 08-13-2009 at 07:58 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #162
RendeR
Coordinator

Because they have a QB qho rides a very fine line of confidence in his coaching staff/team in general and a set of fans that are absolutely brutal to set upon anything.

Chemistry is everything in the NFL. Adding Vick to an already volitele brew in Philly is just asking for the pot to boil over.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #163
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
In all fairness, our demise will be determined by the piss-poor play of our offensive line.

Jesus could be back there, and he'd still get sacked in the Holy Water.

Ok this made me laugh =)
Old 08-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #164
Groundhog
Coordinator

Noop wins!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #165
Philliesfan980
Banned

As an Eagles fan, I really don't think this deal matters. I think at best, he'll get in some wildcat type plays, and that's about it.

I think it's a non-issue. It's a shame, because this probably means that Feeley is gone. He's a solid 3rd string QB who will now be out of a job.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #166
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Because McNabb is already a whiney bitch. Signing Vick to a 2 year deal is gonna tilt him.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #167
NewIdentity
High School JV

Because Mcnabb will like being bench a half dozen times per game.

Eagles just fell out of the Playoffs with this deal.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #168
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Remember that Philly's O-Coordinator is Marty Morhinweg. When with the Lions, he got creative with Mike McMahon catching passes in the flat. Expect to see a formation with both McNabb & Vick on the field together.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #169
cuervo72
Head Coach

Whhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa???????????
Old 08-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #170
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

yeah i really dont understand the concern w/ mcnabb. yes he has had his moments before but by all accounts has been extremely sharp this preseason and is another full year removed from his knee surgury and has maybe the most weapons around him in his career.

like philliesfan said, vick will have very little impact this year until maybe later in the year and for likely only a handful of plays per game. plus im sure mcnabb was consulted prior to the signing and he wants to win as his window is closing in the next couple of years.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #171
molson
General Manager

But Eagles fans will be calling for Vick every time McNabb throws an incomplete pass. On the other hand, McNabb handled his benching last year a lot better than I thought he ever would, so maybe he has the character for that, but it's not hard to forsee an ugly situation.

I'm curious if this taints the upcoming Eagles season for any of our resident Eagle fans? I was pretty worried about him signing with the Patriots. I would still root for the team, but I couldn't root for Vick. I would have just hoped he stayed on the bench.

Last edited by molson : 08-13-2009 at 08:22 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #172
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Remember that Philly's O-Coordinator is Marty Morhinweg. When with the Lions, he got creative with Mike McMahon catching passes in the flat. Expect to see a formation with both McNabb & Vick on the field together.

Yeah, I see Vick being used more as a decoy, H-Back sorta guy (who could also throw), really. At least this year anyway.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #173
NewIdentity
High School JV

LOL, I love the people that are now picking the Eagles to sign Vick in the pole!

I think when Vick was signed 1 person had picked Vick; now 3 people think Vick will be signed by the Eagles.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #174
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

eagles will be smart enough, and i think vick smart enough to realize that the man has been out of football for two years and cant just jump back in and be back to his old self. the only impact vick will have will be in the second half of the year.

plus by all accounts vick WANTED to go somewhere with an established quarterback so there was less pressure to jump in and be the man.

also - i will have no problem rooting for the eagles just because of them signing michael vick
Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #175
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Will the crazy Philly fans put up with peta protesting their home games?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #176
TroyF
Coordinator

I'll only discuss Vick the football player here. . .

This is about the best place he can go and about the best team to utilize him. The Eagles have a ridiculous amount of speed on offense now. Jackson, Maclin, Curtis, Westbrook, McCoy, Vick and McNabb (who is fast for the position) That's a lot of threats to take the ball to the house on every play. That's also a lot of guys to use as decoys.

I think the Eagles made a good, low risk signing. I already liked them to go deep, I like em even more now.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #177
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Will the crazy Philly fans put up with peta protesting their home games?

There will definitely be some awesome parking lot fist-fights.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #178
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

0-16 is too good for them. I hope the franchise never wins another game, has nothing but one disaster after another, and that personal tragedy, misery, and woe afflicts every person responsible for this decision from now until their dying day. And then that their carcasses are buried somewhere that I can piss on all their graves at least once.

But other than that of course {shrug}.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #179
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
0-16 is too good for them. I hope the franchise never wins another game, has nothing but one disaster after another, and that personal tragedy, misery, and woe afflicts every person responsible for this decision from now until their dying day. And then that their carcasses are buried somewhere that I can piss on all their graves at least once.

Harsh but fair.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #180
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Good move for the Eagles.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #181
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Good move for the Eagles.

Agree. The weapons they have on offense now are very intriguing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #182
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I used to have your attitude about it. I really did. Now, meh. If I stopped cheering for my favorite teams because of dirtbags, I wouldn't have a team. You have cheaters, wife beaters, killers (in some cases), animal abusers, drug users, and just pure 100% asses on just about every team.

I don't cheer for Michael Vick. I won't buy an Eagles jersey or hope he does well. That said, he did his time. He got a second chance and we'll see how he handles it.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #183
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I hoped all this before they signed Vick
Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #184
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
As an Eagles fan, I really don't think this deal matters. I think at best, he'll get in some wildcat type plays, and that's about it.

I think it's a non-issue. It's a shame, because this probably means that Feeley is gone. He's a solid 3rd string QB who will now be out of a job.

For $1.6 million (I believe this is what's been reported) this year, with a $5.2 million option, I think they'll want more for that price.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #185
TroyF
Coordinator

A quick dola here: It takes a special kind of human being to hurt an animal in the way Vick did. A true scumbag of the human species. That said, he paid his dues, and I'm not his judge and jury. I'll let other people do that and choose to forgive. I know. I'm a sissy boy.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #186
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'm not his judge and jury. I'll let other people do that and choose to forgive.

Actually, in terms of what we are willing to accept as appropriate behavior, we are. We're responsible for what we personally find acceptable, the law doesn't dictate that. We don't have the same authority to exercise our disapproval as the law, but we're still not only capable of making our own judgments on a personal level but I'd strongly argue that it is imperative that we do so.

If you choose to accept the punishment handed out by the collective as sufficient, or find his actions forgivable, or whatever that's your business & I'm not criticizing that here. But what I'm trying to say is different than the way I read what you were saying.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #187
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
For $1.6 million (I believe this is what's been reported) this year, with a $5.2 million option, I think they'll want more for that price.

IMO they gave him the second year so if he has a good year they can deal him next offseason and get some value.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #188
TroyF
Coordinator

I understand what you are saying Jon, and maybe I didn't spell it out 100% correctly. Vick served his time. Was it enough time? Hell, I don't know. I'm looking into my Italian Greyhound's puppy eyes now and am horrified by what Vick did. On the other hand, he did do the time he was ordered to by the laws of our country. And if we let him out of jail, we should let him move on with his career.

And I find it hard to single him out when there are so many scumbags playing professional sports today. Hell, my boyhood idols were John Elway and Kirby Puckett. Kirby's reputation was in tatters by the time he died. So what do I do? I either cheer for the teams I like and deal with the scumbags, or I give up sports.

You can probably figure out what I've chose. . . I'll let you decide if that makes me morally weak.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #189
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

You left the part out about raping, mugging, and looting in the streets.

Other than that, A+
Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #190
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
IMO they gave him the second year so if he has a good year they can deal him next offseason and get some value.

Probably accurate. Again, really a no lose situation for the Eagles from a football perspective. He plays like garbage, they cut him and walk away. He shows some flashes of potential, they renegotiate and get him back next year in the same role. He kicks major ass, they pick up a reasonable 5 million dollar option and deal him for draft picks.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #191
cyril
Mascot

Quote:
Actually, in terms of what we are willing to accept as appropriate behavior, we are. We're responsible for what we personally find acceptable, the law doesn't dictate that. We don't have the same authority to exercise our disapproval as the law, but we're still not only capable of making our own judgments on a personal level but I'd strongly argue that it is imperative that we do so.

If you choose to accept the punishment handed out by the collective as sufficient, or find his actions forgivable, or whatever that's your business & I'm not criticizing that here. But what I'm trying to say is different than the way I read what you were saying.

very well said. If he's truly very remorseful, I won't object to giving him a second chance. what I disagree about all these "paid the price, 2nd chance" talks is that I just don't buy for a second this guy shows any remorse deep inside. Once he's out of the spotlight and fear of consequences, he will go back to that bloody hobby of his, with several millions to sponsor it. Hurt my guts just thinking about it.
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #192
RedKingGold
College Starter

This is an easy one. If Philly makes a deep post-season run, everyone wins and this was a smart move. If the Eagles flop, then Lurie cleans house.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #193
RedKingGold
College Starter

Heh, on that note:

Source: Donovan McNabb isn't happy with Vick acquisition | ProFootballTalk.com

Source: Donovan McNabb isn't happy with Vick acquisition

Posted by Mike Florio on August 13, 2009 10:20 PM ET
As folks in Philly begin to process the reality -- which conveniently was slipped through the five hole during a preseason home game -- that Mike Vick is the newest member of the Eagles, most people are assuming that current starting quarterback Donovan McNabb has given the deal his personal seal of approval.

According to a league source with intimate knowledge of the dynamics within the organization, McNabb isn't pleased with the development.

But McNabb can't say anything about it for now, due in part to the fact that the Eagles gave him a money-for-nothing contract adjustment and otherwise spent a lot of cash and first-day picks to improve the offense, at McNabb's urging.

So things will get very interesting if the Eagles struggle in 2009, since the option for the second year of Vick's contract will prompt speculation and/or popular opinion that the Eagles should dump Donovan and promote Vick.

While there's no chance that Vick will supplant McNabb during the coming season absent injury, with each passing game Vick's shadow over the next season will possibly grow.

Though there's a chance the Eagles wanted an option for year two so that they could trade Vick in 2010 to a team that's inclined to let him compete for the starting job, the franchise had to realize that the presence of the option year could make things very tricky, if the Eagles encounter adversity in 2009.

Think of it this way. If McNabb allowed his nose to get out of joint because the team thrived a couple of years ago under Jeff Garcia after McNabb tore an ACL, the possibility that Vick will become the most popular guy in town likely has already eaten a crater in McNabb's colon the size of a cutlet.

There's another big reason for McNabb to internalize any concern he might have regarding Vick's presence. McNabb has, on multiple occasions, spoken out in support of Vick.

In May, as Vick's term at Leavenworth neared completion, McNabb had this to say: "I am happy that Michael Vick has served his time and will now be afforded the opportunity to move on with his life. I'm sure he will continue to be remorseful and will learn from his experiences. Hopefully he will have the opportunity to continue his dream of playing professional football."

In August 2007, after Vick was indicted but before he pleaded guilty, McNabb went out on a limb for Vick, implying that he was innocent. "I'm a supporter of Vick," McNabb said at the time. "That's because I'm a good friend of his and also we're guys that obviously compete to win the Super Bowl. We push each other. Now, I don't know exactly what happened in that situation, and I think for all of us that have read over the stuff that was over the Internet, the report, you look at it as kind of like, 'Wow, you've got your so-called friends and family members turning their back on you now to make their situation better.' They're throwing you under the bus so that they can clean their name. That's unfortunate."

Today, the reality is that, no matter how unfortunate McNabb views Vick's presence on the depth chart, McNabb can't really say or do anything about it.

For now.

UPDATE: Per Sheil Kapadia of philly.com, Dave Spadaro of the Eagles' official web site interviewed McNabb during tonight's game and asked not a single question about Vick. Yeah, this is gonna get good.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #194
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:

I felt this way about the Eagles before they signed Vick.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #195
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I understand what you are saying Jon, and maybe I didn't spell it out 100% correctly.

Good, because I really think there's a distinction between what you said & what I was looking at but darned if I was sure if I was able to spell it out well enough just by typing.

Quote:
And if we let him out of jail, we should let him move on with his career.

Legally, he definitely has the right to that opportunity under existing law. My argument is that, in particular since we are all part of the extended client base of his current employer, we have a great deal of ability to exert our own bounds of what is or isn't acceptable edit to add AND that we have not only the right but the obligation to do so. I have a great deal of difficulty accepting - as in, I acknowledge that it exists but I have a hard time not being nauseated by that fact - that he's able to walk the streets without being openly shunned as someone people would not be willing to associate with much less that all he has to do is run 30 feet in the right situation & he'll get mass adulation (however fleeting).

I make no bones about it: I'd like for him to have been hung, drawn, and quartered on the public square and then the pieces distributed to pig farms in four corners of the globe to be mixed with not their swill but with their excrement and disposed of according to prevailing local custom. That's still far too good for him afaic but it's as close to appropriate as I can come up with on this mortal coil.

But even if that's a stronger opinion than a lot of people have, there's still a big gap between that and having him been accepted as a member of society as opposed to a pariah. The fact that at least the latter doesn't happen saddens me, it bewilders me, and it's just one more brick in the wall of mixed disgust & despair I feel about humanity in general.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-13-2009 at 10:20 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #196
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
You left the part out about raping, mugging, and looting in the streets.

It's the Eagles, it's Philly. I kind of figured that stuff was self-evident
Old 08-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #197
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I don't buy that McNabb isn't okay with it. I think that's just the media creating drama. No way they signed Vick without at least running it past McNabb as a heads up. And no way he thinks Vick is going to threaten him for his job.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #198
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I hope he goes out there, and has an absolutely fantastic 2 years. He paid his dues, and I'm ready to see the Exciting Michael Vick of old. I don't know if its gonna happen, but I truly hope so.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #199
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Vick paid his dues so I don't problem with the Eagles giving him a 2nd chance. If not for the potential distraction, I'm would have been okay with the Colts signing him as a gadget player.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #200
tarcone
Coordinator

Wow, the Eagles are out of the blue for me. Good for them. I hoep Vick excels for them
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote