Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
The Chargers laying it on the Chiefs.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #152
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
AFC West is going to be veery competitive this year it appears.

Yeah, it looks like a tough division. I think the NFC South is going to have some tough teams as well. This is going to be a very difficult division.

Chiefs won the game on an Alex Smith TD run. All three AFC west winners were incredibly lucky. You could easily say NONE of them deserved to win their games. yet all are 1-0.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #153
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

I didn't say anything incorrect. They were laying it on the Chiefs. In the second half the Chiefs flipped the switch on.

They deserved the win. Congrats.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #154
bhlloy
Coordinator

Whenever I watch Tannehill I wonder if he's not trying to hard to prove he can be a pass first guy. He'd rather gun a pass in there to a covered receiver than take off and get an easy 5 for a first down. Kind of how I felt about Kaep last year as well.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #155
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Whenever I watch Tannehill I wonder if he's not trying to hard to prove he can be a pass first guy. He'd rather gun a pass in there to a covered receiver than take off and get an easy 5 for a first down. Kind of how I felt about Kaep last year as well.

I don't disagree at all. He just seems to make the easy throw look difficult instead of the smart throw.

That said, the other thing that really strikes me about him is how little help he gets from his teammates. To me, it's unbelievable. He throws a perfect strike today that should have been an 80 yard TD. If that ball is caught, he's 8-11 for 140 yards against the Seattle defense and he's on his way to a monster day.

I lost count of how many times it seemed teammates were actively trying to destroy his numbers last year and this year seems to be headed the same way. If I were able to superimpose different uniforms and names on the back of the Dolphins player, we would both think the QB we are seeing today is a great QB who forced one throw.

Instead we saw that forced throw and the first thought to both of us was "there he goes agian"
Old 09-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #156
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Congrats on pulling out an OT win at home against one of the bottom teams in the league. That has to be a sign of big things.

jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #157
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I can not believe how effective Stafford has been without CJ. I was expecting a benching at some point from the overrated Stafford without his #1 target.

Sounds like Russell Wilson is injured

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-11-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #158
miami_fan
Coordinator

Russell Wilson injured, Ndamukong Suh involved.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #159
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I don't think Suh being involved is relevant. He was chasing him and stepped on Wilson's ankle during the chase. There was no malicious intent.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #160
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I don't think Suh being involved is relevant. He was chasing him and stepped on Wilson's ankle during the chase. There was no malicious intent.

We have been judging Suh's intent since he has come into the league. It is what we do. I don't think it was malicious either. My post was a statement of fact.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #161
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I guess you're right. You and your damn facts.

FUCK EA
Old 09-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #162
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Pretty obvious that was how the Cowboys game would end. That's where Dak's inexperience really showed.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #163
kingfc22
Head Coach

Terrance Williams. Whoops.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #164
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

As hot as Prescott started, the Giants really shut him down as the game wore on. They did a hell of a job covering Dez all game too. Real good defensive effort by the G-men.

FUCK EA
Old 09-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #165
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Colts up by 1 point with :37 left but they have no secondary left. Let's what happens.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 09-11-2016 at 06:41 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #166
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

How are the Colts allowed to play an air raid siren while the other team is calling their play? Also, how do NFL WRs not know to get out of bounds late in a game?

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 09-11-2016 at 06:45 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #167
Thomkal
Head Coach

Let's go beloved Cardinals! (please don't lose to a Brady and Gronk-less Patriots)
Old 09-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #168
Atocep
Coordinator

Despite the loss, I think it's safe to say Luck was most definitely playing injured last year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #169
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
As hot as Prescott started, the Giants really shut him down as the game wore on. They did a hell of a job covering Dez all game too. Real good defensive effort by the G-men.

That was sooo much better than the last two seasons. It took them awhile to start getting pressure on Dak, but Dallas has arguably the best pass protection line in the league. And they started to get to him the 2nd half. Much different than last year when Romo had 5-7 seconds to throw the ball and no defensive player got near him.

Very impressed with Vernon. It doesn't make the highlight reels, but Vernon really shut down the run to his side. Only caught out of position on the one option play. Other than that, he did a fantastic job of forcing the run to the inside and making the tackle.

Giants offensive line was inconsistent, which is actually an improvement. Did better running the ball. Pass protection was still very iffy.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #170
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Pretty obvious that was how the Cowboys game would end. That's where Dak's inexperience really showed.

They were playing the Giants. I was expecting them to lose it in every way imaginable.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:07 PM   #171
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
how do NFL WRs not know to get out of bounds late in a game?

That was awful; he merely had to take a step to the and he was out of bounds with plenty of time with one timeout left. I don't know what he was doing.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #172
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Just saw the Bo Jackson Kia commercial. Awesome.

FUCK EA
Old 09-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #173
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Not a bad start for the kid. Doesn't hurt that was completely blown coverage.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #174
Thomkal
Head Coach

*sigh*
Old 09-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #175
bhlloy
Coordinator

So players brains are still getting smushed because players can't stop launching themselves headfirst as weapons, the concussion protocol is a complete joke but hey, at least we are addressing the real issue of multiple players with choreographed celebrations
Old 09-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #176
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I never understood why they outlawed team celebrations. It is inclusive, it supports the idea of working together and celebrating together. Instead they only let one player celebrate so it becomes a me, me, me thing. It supports selfishness and showboating.

Anyone know which teams are using the new helmets this year? I thought a couple were.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 09-11-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #177
cuervo72
Head Coach

Sounds like Al & Chris aren't quite thrilled with Goodell. (And I imagine NBC is pretty annoyed with the league with the whole Tirico thing and doesn't feel the need to muzzle them.)
Old 09-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #178
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I never understood why they outlawed team celebrations. It is inclusive, it supports the idea of working together and celebrating together. Instead they only let one player celebrate so it becomes a me, me, me thing. It supports selfishness and showboating.

Anyone know which teams are using the new helmets this year? I thought a couple were.

Th Bucs got one of these "collaborative celebration" penalties. It was probably the most harmless one I've ever seen. I've never liked the rule and think the refs should have more flexibility. They had to call it, but anybody watching knows it wasn't with intent to waste time or showboat or taunt. Hell, by the letter of the law, a high-five is a collaborative celebration.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #179
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I never understood why they outlawed team celebrations.

Just trying to stay ahead of the issue before it became like this:

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #180
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Sounds like Al & Chris aren't quite thrilled with Goodell. (And I imagine NBC is pretty annoyed with the league with the whole Tirico thing and doesn't feel the need to muzzle them.)

Costas has shredded the NFL over it. Lots of TV people have.

We all know what happened by now. It became a power struggle between the NFL and Brady. Brady decided to take it to court and fight. Based on the law experts I read before the ruling, he never had a prayer. Somehow his hail mary is answered. All of those same experts said it would never hold up on appeal. It didn't. I think Brady got poor advice. I don't think Goodall ever planned on keeping that suspension at 4 games. I think it would have been dropped down to 2 and maybe even 1 had Brady not sued. Once he sued, the die was case and the ending was inevitable.

Now people are looking for something to blame. Goodall is the lightning rod.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #181
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Th Bucs got one of these "collaborative celebration" penalties. It was probably the most harmless one I've ever seen. I've never liked the rule and think the refs should have more flexibility. They had to call it, but anybody watching knows it wasn't with intent to waste time or showboat or taunt. Hell, by the letter of the law, a high-five is a collaborative celebration.

Exactly. The taunting penalties are wildly inconsistent and the "collaborative celebration" garbage is just that, garbage. Cut out the taunting and allow each team to celebrate. Oh, and start throwing guys out AND suspend people for head shots.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #182
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'll be honest. I didn't expect the Pats to be doing this well. but the Cardinals are playing right into their hands. Unless you have Denver-like D-line that can get pressure without sending too many, you have to beat the Patriots by confusing them with zones (keeping the receiver and the ball in front of you), not blitzing and hoping that your guys can make plays in man coverage)

edit: And I'm sure that some folks will be pointing to how good Jimmy G is doing and saying "See? This proves it's the system, not Brady". It's both

Last edited by SirFozzie : 09-11-2016 at 09:18 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #183
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Cards certainly didnt have a very good defensive gameplan going into this game. The one guy that could really beat them seems to be open almost every play(Edelman). Jimmy G has tunnel vision when it comes to him as well so wouldnt be surprised if Cards bait him into a pick 6 soon.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #184
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I'll be honest. I didn't expect the Pats to be doing this well. but the Cardinals are playing right into their hands. Unless you have Denver-like D-line that can get pressure without sending too many, you have to beat the Patriots by confusing them with zones (keeping the receiver and the ball in front of you), not blitzing and hoping that your guys can make plays in man coverage)

edit: And I'm sure that some folks will be pointing to how good Jimmy G is doing and saying "See? This proves it's the system, not Brady". It's both

the gameplan the Cardinals have used tonight is simply horrible on both sides of the ball. They aren't running the ball enough. They look like a confused bunch of puppies anytime the Patriots rush 3 and Palmer is confused at the most basic sets. 3rd and 5. Patriots rush three. 1 RB and 1 WR are wide open between the zones, Palmer gets sacked.

They are playing passive and fully deserve everything they are getting tonight. The rookie corner is also a sieve. They need to turn it up in the next five minutes or this game is over.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #185
TroyF
Coordinator

And. . . there you go. Turnover. Pats rush 3, the offensive line decides to protect and Palmer makes a good throw. Then a good throw under pressure and a couple of runs. Boom.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #186
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wow, that was a blown call by the refs. Drive-killer right there (of course the Cardinals had the stop-killer on the pass interference right before it, so..)
Old 09-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #187
Thomkal
Head Coach

well somehow the Cards are winning now. and Wooot! to Larry Fitzgerald for his 100th TD!
Old 09-11-2016, 10:15 PM   #188
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Jimmy G has played well. Very cautious approach but it is working well. Eventually he is going to need to throw the ball down the field more or teams will start playing underneath zones all game long. Impressed with his accuracy and mobility.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:16 PM   #189
bhlloy
Coordinator

Any idea what Arians is doing here?
Old 09-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #190
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Any idea what Arians is doing here?

Leaving his offense plenty of time. Apparently isnt thinking about the possibility of Pats getting another chance as well now.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #191
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Fitzy is having a game. Incredible catches tonight.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:33 PM   #192
Thomkal
Head Coach

sigh
Old 09-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #193
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Welp didnt expect that. Cardinals losing at home, Pats winning at the home stadium of one of the best teams in the NFC without 2 of their best players.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #194
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Four.

Brady (4 game suspension) Gronk (Injured), Solder (injured), Ninkovich (4 game suspension.

I swear, Belichick has a gold plated-four-leaf-clover embroidered horseshoe firmly embedded in his keister when it comes to clock management at that stadium. First the Super Bowl, and now that. I was screaming at the TV "WHY AREN"T YOU CALLING THE (BLEEPING) TIME OUT!" .Apparently Bill knew that they were going to miss, and only wanted one kneel down at the end of the game.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:38 PM   #195
Thomkal
Head Coach

Arians was 15-0 at home against non-divisional opponents. Was being the key word.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #196
Arles
Grey Dog Software

As a Packer fan, it's nice to see Arizona and Carolina start 0-1. It's a shame the Dolphins couldn't have finished off Seattle, but I'll take this start.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #197
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Going into the first MNF game of the year, I can say this.

The NFC is weak. Wizz-eeek.

That means there are about 10 teams that could make the SB from the NFC. Wide open.

Theres only 4 from the AFC that could.

I don't need to list the four. I mean, theres a whole divison you can count out at this point.

Oh, and Pittsburgh is not one of the four, and they will lose to the Deadskins tonight.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #198
djsatu
High School Varsity

What an entertaining Week 1 so far! Hoping my niners can actually win the opener tonight Kudos to the Raiders on the amazing comeback yesterday. Steelers-Redskins is going to be beauty tonight!
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #199
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

RG III to IR, broken shoulder. Will be re-evaluated next month, per ESPN
Old 09-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #200
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I don't think you draw a ton of long term conclusions from week 1. I think Seattle, Arizona and Carolina will figure it out - they have too much talent not to. For Green Bay, Rodgers played only one series in the preseason and Nelson hadn't played in a live game in over a year. You could tell the offense was rusty in the first half. I think they will get better as they get more reps. Sitting your star QB for the preseason makes sense from an injury standpoint, but it does make the first few games essentially the preseason on offense.

I do think some AFC teams look a little better than people gave them credit. New England was extremely impressive and will probably still have some rust with Brady in weeks 5 and 6 - but they could easily go 13-3. I was impressed with Denver and Jacksonville as well - either could win their division with a few bounces going their way. Overall I would still only have NE from the AFC in the top 5 overall as I think Carolina, Seattle, Green Bay and Arizona are all better than AFC teams not named the Patriots.