Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #151
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't think I've ever seen that bad of a mistake before. I'm not sure who is at fault between the coaches or the quarterback, but who on earth thinks that you can spike the ball with one-second left.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #152
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
Ok.... confused. Other than the terrible clock management in the LSU/Ole Miss game, why did the clock stop on that last catch?

The clock stops temporarily while the sticks are moved, but restarts as soon as they are in place.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #153
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ok.... confused. Other than the terrible clock management in the LSU/Ole Miss game, why did the clock stop on that last catch?

1st down. Clock stops in college.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #154
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

First down. For as much as LSU's management of that 1 sec was bad, I don't know if they had enough time to get the FG team out there. Plus, the snap for the spike came after time expired so it's possible that woulda happened on a FG attempt and they lose anyway

Last edited by yacovfb : 11-21-2009 at 06:16 PM.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #155
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

lol@ Verne Lundquist's overreaction. Not much LSU could have done there. Even if they get the FG team out there, not much chance they get the play off in time.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #156
AlexB
Pro Starter

Don't watch much college at all, happened across the last couple of minutes - never knew the 1st down/clock rule. Great finish, but the play calls on 3rd down and the last play (if it was called) were tbh sack-worthy
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #157
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
lol@ Verne Lundquist's overreaction. Not much LSU could have done there. Even if they get the FG team out there, not much chance they get the play off in time.

What are they doing!!!
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #158
Swaggs
Coordinator

It will actually be pretty fun to see who winds up with the last 1 or 2 BCS bids.

The Fiesta could take Oklahoma State (if they can get through Oklahoma next week) to help pad the Big 12's pockets. Virginia Tech, without having to play in the ACC championship game, is in good shape to finish in the top 14 and they have a good fanbase and would probably travel well to a bowl other than the Orange (where they have been a lot since the ACC). Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa will all be eligible and all three can probably be counted on to buy up their allotment of tickets for either the Orange or Sugar. Boise State is probably going to be undefeated, whereas any at-large team outside of Florida/Alabama is probably going to have 2+ losses, so it may be hard to justify keeping them out.

Probably gonna be a lot of scrambling and wheeling and delling going on.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #159
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Come on, Stanford. Keep doing what you've been doing, and you should beat the fuck out of Cal. Don't turn the ball over.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #160
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think LSU was pretty damn fortunate that the ref stood over the ball for as long as he did -- he did them a favor by allowing them to even get a play off with 1-second left.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #161
MacroGuru
Coordinator

BYU with a great win over AFA..

Harvey Unga now is the BYU career rushing leader in yards.

Dennis Pitta will be in receptions after the Utah game

Max Hall is the all time wins holder at BYU now for QBs
Old 11-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #162
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Even if there wasn't time to get the FG unit on you have to at least take a shot at the endzone. Spiking the ball to end the game is beyond stupid.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #163
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I don't think I've ever seen that bad of a mistake before.

Circa 2004, see Ball, Reggie
Old 11-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #164
clemsonfan
High School JV

Woo hoo Clemson! Next week SC, the week after that GA Tech, and sometime after that a bowl game. We have a very rough month or so ahead.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #165
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Gerhart is good.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #166
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Gerhart is good.

"I CAN HAZ HEIZMANS?"

-Toby Gerhart
Old 11-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #167
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Circa 2004, see Ball, Reggie

Just when I started to forget, you had to bring that up.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #168
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Stanford is my 2nd favorite team. I hope they win out.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #169
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
One of my best friends is on the RU staff. He texted me a few minutes in and said Syracuse was running the triple option and they hadn't run it all season and RU was totally caught off guard.

Maybe their staff shouldn't be texting people a few minutes in. Maybe they should be running around looking for the Triple Option Defender for Dummies book.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #170
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I went down to Richmond and watched the Richmond Spiders beat William & Mary in what came down to a crazy last 2 minutes. Going to a 1AA game is a very different experience (better in some ways, worse in others) than going to a Maryland game.

Got back and was slightly sad to see that Maryland apparently put up a fight against FSU but in the end lost. Alas. Not a good season for Maryland football, even by my pathetic standards.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #171
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Agreed on that playcalling at the end of the game. They were running, at will, over Notre Dame. I think they should have at least run another play to get into better FG position. On top of that, it was pretty odd to see them run the clock down that low while kicking on 2nd down -- usually, you see coaches keep a little time on the clock in case of a bad snap. I'm glad they won -- I think Edsall would have had some explaining to do if they had not.
He also had a very curious playcall 2 drives before when UConn had driven to our 15 down 20-17. 1st down he went for some weird tackle eligible play where one tackle was lined up at WR and faked like he was going to catch a bubble screen, then another went straight upfield from the left tackle spot. He was covered and it was an easy pick in the end zone for ND's MLB. If they even ran normal play-action and faked the handoff to a RB, ND's linebackers probably would have bought it and you'd have that tackle wide-open up the seam, but the bubble screen to a big guy was so weird they didn't react to it and were sitting in perfect position. Still, a respectable coach and a pretty good man from what I've heard.

How thoughtful of NBC and ESPN to keep talking about this as the biggest win in UConn's history ... I mean, it's not like UConn has won at least 8 games and made bowls 4 times this decade, plus beaten BCS-bound Cincinnati 40-16 at home last season.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-21-2009 at 07:08 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #172
Butter
Coordinator

Well, it's about time to bust out some old Michigan stuff.... Big Blue actually played pretty good today, maybe they'll improve as we head into the bowl season...

wait, what's that? They're not going to a bowl? Damn, that sucks.

Last edited by Butter : 11-21-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #173
Swaggs
Coordinator

Man, Gerhart running vs Notre Dame's defense is going to be something to see. What type of over/under do you set him at next week? 175?
Old 11-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #174
Butter
Coordinator

This is a good one...

Should Tate Forcier Be in the Heisman Race? | Bleacher Report
Old 11-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #175
Butter
Coordinator

OK, just one more:

Old 11-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #176
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
Maybe their staff shouldn't be texting people a few minutes in. Maybe they should be running around looking for the Triple Option Defender for Dummies book.

I think Miami bought up all copies of that book, since that's the only offense they've been able to stop all year.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #177
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I thought Pryor looked good today early, then once they started just pounding it on the ground he got out of sync, he had Posey deep twice but over threw him. The ground game was outstanding again, 250 yards rushing and the defense played the bend don't break scheme perfectly.

I loved how the Michigan fan in his mid-30s got in Herron's face in the back of the end zone on OSU's last TD. And how about Shaw for Michigan, what a game after being a complete asshole before the game. 7 carries for 7 yards and 1 reception for -6 yards.

It should be an interesting offseason in Ann Arbor, not only has the performance on the field taken a hit but they've seemed to lose that clean image too. I did enjoy watching Brandon Graham talking shit after every play, the guy is a beast but let your game do the talking. He was the best player out there...hands down.

Last edited by Balldog : 11-21-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #178
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
One of my best friends is on the RU staff. He texted me a few minutes in and said Syracuse was running the triple option and they hadn't run it all season and RU was totally caught off guard.

Who the fuck do you know that actually thought what Syracuse was running was the triple option? Not even close. I hope you read that text wrong. PM me with a name please.

To DeTox...we were being blown off the LOS terribly. The defense was too aggressive, and SU countered that as they should with reverses, counters, etc. Once we started adjusting to that, they destroyed us up the middle, picking up huge chunks of yards.

On offense, they were pressuring us non-stop. #32 Doug Hogue had one of the best games I've ever seen from someone Rutgers has gone up against. We did nothing to counter the pressure, similar to what Marrone had Cuse doing early.

Toyota Turning Point of the game was when we started rallying in the 1st half, down 24-10 with a couple minutes left and we got the ball down to the SU 10. Putting 7 up to end the half and getting the ball back to start the 2nd would've been huge. So on 1st down we come out in a shotgun formation and run some ridiculous long-winded routes that take forever to develop, and Savage takes a sack and a huge loss. A penalty and another sack backs us up to 3rd and 45, we complete a 20 yarder on 3rd down to get us into decent FG position, and Te shanks the kick. He got run into (definitely not roughing) but no call, wouldn't have mattered anyway. So we come away with no points.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #179
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Fucking invisible mystery pass interference call on UT keeps Vandy alive in Knoxville with under 4 minutes to call. Still 24-13 Vols but the Commies are inside the 5.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #180
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
It will actually be pretty fun to see who winds up with the last 1 or 2 BCS bids.

The Fiesta could take Oklahoma State (if they can get through Oklahoma next week) to help pad the Big 12's pockets. Virginia Tech, without having to play in the ACC championship game, is in good shape to finish in the top 14 and they have a good fanbase and would probably travel well to a bowl other than the Orange (where they have been a lot since the ACC). Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa will all be eligible and all three can probably be counted on to buy up their allotment of tickets for either the Orange or Sugar. Boise State is probably going to be undefeated, whereas any at-large team outside of Florida/Alabama is probably going to have 2+ losses, so it may be hard to justify keeping them out.

Probably gonna be a lot of scrambling and wheeling and delling going on.

Looks like I spoke too soon on Wisconsin -- they lost to Northwestern today.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #181
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Fuck it, I'll quad dola:

The D problems are on RichRod but also on Carr. His recruiting was not what it could have been the last few years. It's been a pretty reported fact he didn't do much to go out and find players, instead going only after kids he knew would commit because it's Michigan. There are tons of kids who could be here if the UM staff made a more concerted effort. It's why we're at where we're at with the current LB's and DB's we have.

It's inexcusable however it happened. How does a big name program that isn't limited by the NCAA from infractions have 17 unused scholarships when you just went through your worst season ever? Let's say Michigan has a huge recruting class. It just means they are going to be struggling for the next couple of years by default. To be honest, I'm not sure RR is going to get the chance to fill those scholarships and to be able to develop that talent considering he'll be dealing with a young team for some time. If he can't fill whatever scholarships he has, then I can definitely see that as being part of his downfall.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #182
Tigercat
College Starter

Re: the LSU game... Miles and Crowton's biggest mistake wasn't the 1 second spike. Bad mistake, but understandable considering the stress and craziness of that situation, including considering a FG at that moment and realizing there is no way you will snap it in time. The horrible mistake was passing it twice from the opponents 30 yard line, down by two, with two timeouts. Horrible, horrible game decisions.

The pitchforks are definitely out en mass tonight in Louisiana. Crowton was excellent in '07 and '08, but his performance this year will probably lead to his dismissal at the end of the season.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #183
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tennessee wins 31-16 & becomes bowl eligible. Final score comes with :03 left as a fifth year senior DL picks off a pass & slowly rumbles 23 yds for a TD. ONe of the few times I've seen Kiffin come across as genuine as he celebrated with delight for the guy and appeared to flatten a nearby Crompton (I think it was JC) in the process.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #184
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Who the fuck do you know that actually thought what Syracuse was running was the triple option? Not even close. I hope you read that text wrong. PM me with a name please.

To DeTox...we were being blown off the LOS terribly. The defense was too aggressive, and SU countered that as they should with reverses, counters, etc. Once we started adjusting to that, they destroyed us up the middle, picking up huge chunks of yards.

On offense, they were pressuring us non-stop. #32 Doug Hogue had one of the best games I've ever seen from someone Rutgers has gone up against. We did nothing to counter the pressure, similar to what Marrone had Cuse doing early.

Toyota Turning Point of the game was when we started rallying in the 1st half, down 24-10 with a couple minutes left and we got the ball down to the SU 10. Putting 7 up to end the half and getting the ball back to start the 2nd would've been huge. So on 1st down we come out in a shotgun formation and run some ridiculous long-winded routes that take forever to develop, and Savage takes a sack and a huge loss. A penalty and another sack backs us up to 3rd and 45, we complete a 20 yarder on 3rd down to get us into decent FG position, and Te shanks the kick. He got run into (definitely not roughing) but no call, wouldn't have mattered anyway. So we come away with no points.

I have to second this (esp the PM part it it, if you don't mind). I watched the game and didn't see any real adjustments (which has been a problem all year. This felt like the 2006Cincinnati game. It's as if they were looking ahead to the West Virginia game. It was poor coaching and poor execution on both sides of the ball, except for special teams.

Say goodbye to the Gator or Meineke. It's likely St. Petersburg Bowl (which is okay, I guess, since that's the only bowl I requested tickets for in my app as it's the only game I could attend). But still, it's sad.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #185
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Unfreakinbelievable. Kentucky trails 27-20 in Athens & they block a punt only to see Georgia recover & advance it for a first down.

edit: Facemask on the kicking team on the play, so now they have to kick it again. And the penalty was on the punter no less.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-21-2009 at 09:36 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #186
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I wonder how much hype Derrick Locke would get on a reasonably good football team? Takes a screen pass to the house, it's 27-27 in Athens.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interception by some huge ass DL for Kentucky, they're first & goal inside the 10.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Touchdown Kentucky, 34-27 with 9:55 left in regulation.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #189
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Georgia fumbles inside the Kentucky 5 with 2:21 left, still 34-27 'Cats.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #190
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Georgia ball near midfield after a UK punt, 1:52 left, trailing 34-27 at home.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-21-2009 at 10:19 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #191
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

INTERCEPTION KENTUCKY !!!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #192
Recoil
High School Varsity

As a Tech fan, I hate to see UGA lose this one. Not only do they have nothing to lose, but they'll be coming off a loss.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #193
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
As a Tech fan, I hate to see UGA lose this one. Not only do they have nothing to lose, but they'll be coming off a loss.

They'll quit on Cox after this one.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #194
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
They'll quit on Cox after this one.

I hope you're right.

OOT: I was in Athens last Sunday. After beating Auburn, you would've thought the Dawgs won the NC.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #195
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Colt McCoy is the all-time winningest college quarterback. Two more wins to get to the BCS championship game. Short week to face A&M at College Station, then the Big 12 Championship game against Nebraska.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:58 PM   #196
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Well, it's about time to bust out some old Michigan stuff.... Big Blue actually played pretty good today, maybe they'll improve as we head into the bowl season...

wait, what's that? They're not going to a bowl? Damn, that sucks.

I always call him Force It In. He seems pretty reckless with the ball.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #197
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
UConn beats ND 33-30 in the 2nd OT.

Highlight of my weekend so far.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:29 AM   #198
bhlloy
Coordinator

Assuming Weis gets canned, I wonder if it's worth hanging onto him until after the Stanford game? A lot of the kids do genuinely seem to want him to stay and who knows, they might play better if they think they are playing for his job. Plus who do you put in charge, the defensive co-ordinator is even worse than Fat Charlie.

Interested to hear the ND fans take on if he can pull out a win vs Stanford (which is very possible, Stanford is very up and down this season), do you think about keeping him for one more year?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #199
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Rutgers fucking sucks. We get in to the top 25, and lay an egg against probably the worst team in the Big East and maybe one of the worst in the country. Un-fucking-real.

Seriously. WTF? I saw the score and thought they had it reversed.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:37 AM   #200
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Assuming Weis gets canned, I wonder if it's worth hanging onto him until after the Stanford game? A lot of the kids do genuinely seem to want him to stay and who knows, they might play better if they think they are playing for his job. Plus who do you put in charge, the defensive co-ordinator is even worse than Fat Charlie.

Interested to hear the ND fans take on if he can pull out a win vs Stanford (which is very possible, Stanford is very up and down this season), do you think about keeping him for one more year?

There are rumors out there that Weis will resign tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if they really come to fruition.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote