Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2004, 03:08 PM   #151
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii

My biggest hold over those 5000 hands was my AK play. The one hand I push too hard with I think, as its a very very small winner so far. Over the next 5K hands I intend to be a little more selective about when I jam with AK (real small post-flop fields/non scary boards etc) and will see if I can make a bit more with it.

Now, I'm not very good/wise about this stuff at all, but with AK, the goal (and I have no idea if this is right) in ring games is to win almost every time the flop hits you.

It's value isn't in missed flops, but rather in hit ones? As such, your analysis seems reasonable.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #152
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Just wanted to remark how much I enjoy reading this dynasty...

I love the shape it's taking of summarizing the ring games and going into detail on multi-tables - your tales of those are just so... gripping.

Keep up the great work!
~rpi-fan
Old 07-20-2004, 03:29 PM   #153
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Ok. One flat calls. The turn doesn't help you any. Check/fold now? Seems like now you've invested a lot in this hand for the first round, if you get out of it now you still have 1000 chips or so to work with... or do you keep pushing under any circumstances considering you really don't know the player and what type of hands he plays yet?

You have position so unless he bets into you I think you have to keep betting. You raised preflop, bet on the flop, and he has checked the flop and the turn to you. If the turn is a rag he probably wasn't helped and it's very unlikely you will be check-raised. I would guess that he is on a draw or maybe holding middle pair good kicker or top pair bad kicker and a bet might get him to(finally) release the hand. If he bets into you on the turn and it's a reasonable sized bet then lay it down. You have a four outs for sure and an Ace might be good as well.

Quote:
I like that idea I read on 2+2 about using that as a quick first glance about how the cards are running.
I think that is a great idea. Group 1 or 2 hands should come by every 4.3% or once every 22 hands so you could just use something simple like that as a quick glance.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:33 PM   #154
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Now, I'm not very good/wise about this stuff at all, but with AK, the goal (and I have no idea if this is right) in ring games is to win almost every time the flop hits you.

It's value isn't in missed flops, but rather in hit ones? As such, your analysis seems reasonable.

It depends on the situation, as always. At the 5/10 shorts I would push rather hard with AK. It's a good hand and at a short table it will hold up enough unimproved that it can be pushed through the turn with consistancy.

At a 2/4 full game this just isn't true. It's worth a raise in any situation, but I push with it too often, too far when it misses. I have to remember that at 2/4 I have to show down the best hand more often than not to win the hand. If I get 2 or less opponents I'll bet with it on the flop, and possibly the turn if I think there is any chance my opponent will fold. With more opponents than that I need to let it go quicker if I miss. With KQs and AJs I've got this down, but AKo looks much better than it is to me I think.

of those group 1/2 hands, AKo is miles below my other hands. I am even doing well with TT, compared to AKo.

Perhaps I will use the magic of pokertracker and start posting a few AKo hands in retrospect to see how I do with it.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:43 PM   #155
Radii
Head Coach

Worst 2/4 session ever:

330 hands, down $300.

QJs, lost $30 - filled a straight on the turn, other guy had bottom pair flop/2 pair turn/boat river

AKo, lost $48 ($20 on a pair of aces, lost to a rivered straight, $20 on kings that lost to a rivered flush)

AKs, lost $10 (gave it up ont eh turn)

AA, lost $20 (pocket tens hit set)

AJo, lost $18 (flopped ace+four flush, lost to 2 pair)

Q3o, BB, flopped two pair, lost to straight, lost $20

JJ, lost $14, J23 flop, 4 turn, 5 river. Lost to a naked ace.

of course the blinds eat up a lot over 320 hands

The kicker about the session? I flopped quads TWICE. pocket 4s ad pocket 3s. Neither got any action despite extreme slowplaying.

(tells self, it's all one long session, all one long session, all one long session, all one long session).
Old 07-20-2004, 05:52 PM   #156
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Radii: Take 48 hours away from the poker table, stat.

You are on mega tilt.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:44 PM   #157
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Radii: Take 48 hours away from the poker table, stat.

You are on mega tilt.

Agreed. Honestly, I meant to quit at $200, to have that as a stoploss, I won a hand right as I hit that $200 loss limit and went back under it and convinced myself it was about to turn around.

We had our dance classes(see the weight loss dynasty) right after poker so I got far away from it and got my head totally wrapped around other things.

The last two nights of limit poker the bad beats have been hitting me rather hard(I have lost the last 4 AA hands in a row, for example, when they're coming), but tonight there were just no wins to offset it and clearly I bled away more than necessary, where, on Monday night, I actually recovered *really* nicely and never went on tilt and played a very solid game and ended up profitable.

This is a very good example of why I'm not moving up to 3/6 even though i have the bankroll for it. I can still win a very solid amount here when I'm playing well, and I can learn the lessons I need to about multi-tabling limit games(hell I played 5,000 hands at .5/1 just to get the hang of it, even though I had a bankroll of $1800 at the time) for a lot cheaper than it would be at 3/6.

To sum up. Very sound advice, thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 10:01 PM   #158
robbgmaier
College Prospect

i didn't read some of the intervening posts, but....

there are 6 ways you can find a pocket pair, and 4 ways you can find a suited connector. So if you know the odds on the pair......
robbgmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:32 PM   #159
Radii
Head Coach

I have played a bunch today and am not tilting at all, I'm actually up a touch(about $30). I don't want to go dump money into a multi-table now but I want a break, so I sign up for a quick $10+$1 NL SNG(single table).

Everone starts with 800 chips.

Level 1 - 10/15 blinds

Q3o, UTG+1, folds - guy out on hand 1, woo!
75o, UTG, folds
K5s, BB, folds to a 50 chip raise
85s, SB, I limp and we have a 3 way pot. The flop misses me badly and I fold.
T2o, button, folds
63o, cutoff, folds
94o, cutoff-1, folds
crap, UTG+2, folds
K8o, UTG+1, folds

Level 2 - 15/30 blinds

Level 1 was exciting, no? Everyone is playing pretty tight.

69o, UTG, folds
K8o, BB, free flop 4-way. Flop comes KT4, two hearts. I bet 90 into the 120 pot and I take it down. Up to 845.
55, SB. 5 limpers to me, I limp, we have a nice 7 way flop. It comes very well coordinated w/ lots of high cards, I fold at first chance.
93o, button, folds
Q2s, cutoff, folds
52o, cutoff-1, folds
Q7o, MP, folds
AJo, UTG+2, I open-raise to 85 (because I hate this laptop's mouse). I win the blinds. Geeze.
T7o, UTG+1, folds - now there's some actionwhoa, 4 people all in on the flop. JT/AJ/AA on a jack high flop. A jack on the turn kills the aces and hoose67 had the AJ for the win.
86s, UTG, folds

Level 3 - 25/50 blinds

84o, BB, free flop, I flop an inside straight draw but the bet gets way too big on the flop for me to draw for it.

8 remain, TomVeil is crippled(95), JuebOne has 430. Only two guys have made any serious progress.

K6o, SB, folds - TomVeil is out, JuebOne is up to 525, busting him
73o, button, folds
75o, cutoff, folds
A2o, UTG+2, folds
J3o, UTG+1, folds - Vegas311 busts out juebone and we're down to 6.
Q4o, UTG, folds

Key Hand
KJo, BB - folded to the SB, sgak raises to 100 chips. I call. He bets a small 50 on the ace high flop. I smell weakness and raise to 200. He goes all in over me and I have to fold. Good play by sgak.
86o, sb, folds
J2o, button, folds

Level 4 - 50/100 blinds

85o, cutoff, folds

6 left so I am all in real damn soon with 475 chips.

77, UTG+1. Like now. I am all in, I win the blinds and have 625 chips.
96o, UTG, folds
93o, BB, I get a free flop when SB limps to me. I catch 2nd pair, a 9 on the flop and I go all in and win it.
KQs, SB - I raise to 200 pre-flop and go heads up vs the BB. I catch a king on the flop and go all in and win it there(525 into a 400 flop).
A8o, button - I limp here, a mistake I am sure after a limper before me. we are 4-way and i get out of there on the flop when a bigger stack pushes.
34s, cutoff, folds
T8s, UTG+1, folds
93o, UTG, folds

A9s, BB - free flop 3 way. I flop a flush draw and bet the pot, I win it there.

Level 5 - 100/200 blinds

95o, SB, folds

I have 925 in chips. No one is in very good shape, chipleader has 1800.

hawaplop busts up sgak28(he still had 35 chpis), hawaplop has 2740 now.

AA vs 88 on the next hand teras up the chip leader.

QJo, BB - down to 5 now as sgak busts out. I fold to an all-in, leaving me w/ 725.

TT, SB - shot stack all in. I go over him all in. I win the hand and am up to 1295.

4 remain, two of us are around 1200/1300. hawaplop has 3000+, vegas311 2130.

I fold through my blinds and have 995.

Q3o, button, folds - the big stack/2nd stack go all in and the big stack is down to 1700.

A2o, UTG, all-in wins blinds
AQo, BB, raise pre-flop, short stack all in, I just call. We check to the river when hawaflop goes all in on me. I fold, 44 vs 77, jeff doesn't bust out.

blinds are up to 150/300

I double up on k6s, back up to about 700. I fold through my blinds with 4 high both times

I go all in on ATs. Called by 94. a 9 hits the flop by I hit my flush! I'm up to 1130.

More crap in my BB and I fold it to a big raise.

blinds up to 200/400

All in on ATs from the SB, I double up again and have 1460 now.

A8s, BB - folded to me.
KJo, SB - I steal the BB
K4o, button - I fold this one

I make the money as the short stack busts out

I raise with Q4s on the button, I'm called by vegas. FLop comes Ax2, two diamonds. Opponent goes all in. I have more than the odds to chase my flush, and I call(a fold leaves me very short stacked). He has A2 for two pair, and I hit a queen but that's it, no flush.

I make a profit of a mighty $9. Those small SNG's go FAST. The end got a little hectic w/ oliegirl and I chatting for a minute before she went to bed, so I lost quite a bit in the writeup quality in those last few rounds.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:53 PM   #160
Radii
Head Coach

The total ass-beating I took yesterday kills these results, but here they are, gotta post when I'm not happy about the posts as well:

6440 hands at 2/4
Won $90.06
won 0.23 BB/hr/table
BB/100 hands: 0.35
Overall win rate: $3.02/hr

Very annoying. And despite keeping my head above water it has been annoying in the past 4 or 5 days having noticibly more losing sessions than winners.

As I have started reading 2+2 more often, I have pumped up my agression a bit, and I have to wonder if that is just increasing my variance and the $300 winning sessions are right around the corner, or if I am being too agressive or am pushing in the wrong spots.

I found a hand I was frustrated with tonight, in a $40 pot with an inside straight draw on the turn(total rainbow board) I folded to a bet. I was getting 10:1 on that. 42:4 or 10.5:1 to hit, I really should have called that bet, since it was a draw to the nuts. Of course, I only noticed it because it did, indeed hit.

I think where my extra agression may be hurting me is with overcards when I've raised pre-flop. Anyway, I am still ahead here, so I have a hard time saying I need to do anything drastic, but I may play a few one-table sessions and write them up if i hit 7500-8000 hands without any sort of a breakout here, and see what kind of holes people point out.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:23 PM   #161
Radii
Head Coach

7000 hand update

The last 700ish hands since that $300 loss have been good to me.

7136 hands at 2/4
Won $233.06
won 0.53 BB/hr/table
BB/100 hands: 0.82
Overall win rate: $7.01/hr

I'm playing in a cheap $5 rebuy satellite to the big Sunday tourney right now, and am also playing a $15 double-shootout with two guarenteed seats to one of the WCOOP events a little later tonight, so expect two tourney updates tonight.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:30 AM   #162
Radii
Head Coach

I join the midnight $5+$0 (+rebuys) satellite to the $300 Sunday tournament on pokerstars.

This gives me a cheap way to get a little more tourney experience, and some practice on not being such a pussy in NL tourneys

Level 1 - 10/20 blinds

96o, UTG+1, folds

385 have entered. A full 108 have rebought already. I have not rebought.

75s, UTG, folds
QJo, BB, folds to a raise to 80 - 3 go all in on the K66(two spades) flop. Ax spades, KQ, and A6. A6 holds up, the othre two rebuy and 4126(that's his name) has 6340 chips.
54o, SB, 7 way flop, I'll play that for half a bet. I'll fold on the flop too.
Q8o, button, folds

4126 seems willing to gamble even with 4x the starting chips. Called off about 500 on god knows what(no straight/no flush possible board) to see aces/deuce kicker beat him down.. 500 on 2nd pair?

83o, cutoff, folds
T3o, cutoff-1, folds
xx, MP, folds
86o, MP, folds

Level 2 - 15/30 blids

Hands take awhile with all of the rebuy action going on.

87s, UTG+1, I limp, then call the min raise. Flop comes A73, 1 heart. I call the min bet of 30 there. Turn is another ace, and this isn't going to do, I fold to a bet, two aces end up all in, one has an 8 kicker the other a 2. FFBBDD has rebought many times.

33, UTG, another limping hand. 8 of us see the flop, I fold when it doesn't have a 3 and someone bets.

Key Hand

AA, BB - now, it shouldn't be too hard to get all in here in this rebuy period right? That's certainly the goal. And of course, only 4 limpers before me. I raise out of the BB to 150, only one guy calls. I bet 150 on the flop(underbetting the pot by quite a bit), and he calls. It was king high rainbow. The turn I bet out about 500 chips into the 680 flop, and he folds. So much for easily getting all in. I do pull down a 690 pot and am up to 1715 in chips.

crap, SB/button, folded
K8s, cutoff, folded to 330 raise
AJo, cutoff-1, limp/fold to a 330 raise
94o, MP, folds

4126 now seems to be taking great advantage of others looseness here, he's stil taking quite a few risks but he's up over 10K now and is 4th in the tourney.

A7s, MP, limp, 6 way action for the min raise as 4126 raises out of his BB. Flop misses totally, two diamonds, J62, I fold to a bet.
T6o, UTG+1, folds
T4o, UTG, folds

level 3 - blinds 25/50

93o, BB, folds to the first bet

30 minutes til the rebuy period ends now, and the blinds will start to eat at those who have been rebuying multiple times trying to hit monsters, lets see if our total drops a lot here.

60 have given up so far, 329 out of 385 remain.

Key Hand
QJo, SB - 6 way flop for the min bet. Flop comes J98, and I will bet the pot there, 300 chips. Two call, one has rebought 3 times already and seems willing to call with very little. Turn is a 3. Now I have to decide if I am willing to rebuy or not. I decide I am, and I go all in (~1200 in a ~1200 pot). I don't have to worry about it though, both fold to me and I am up to 2425 now.

A4o, button, folds (with that kicker, I'll chase if I'm suited only) - of course, a 4 on the flop and another on the turn and two all in with top pair tells me... well, don't be results oriented right?

96o, cutoff, folds

The number of rebuys have now surpassed the number of entries. 385 entered, 398 rebuys.

Quindel, the better top pair in my A4 hand, just went all in with two pair on the flop(A9x, two hearts), called by AK and A3, each with runner runner flush draws only. He busted both and is up to 13,000+. Both rebuy.

T3o, MP, folds - AA/A5/77 all in pre-flop, 6850 pot. Ace hits the flop, the A5 almost htis a straight but no.

FFBBDD finally gives up. HE rebought at least 5 times. Now he's out.

KQo, UTG+1, I limp, and call a min raise to 100 chps total. 4 way action. I make a very loose call of 300 chips with an inside straight draw+ backdoor flush draw. I miss it and decide to get out of the hand. HAH. KJ and K2 went to the river. K2 had a pair of deuces so I didn't fold the best hand. But of course the limp was pretty weak.

64o, UTG, folds
J5o, BB, folds to pre-flop raise - the same guy that raised K2 just raised Q3.

Key Hand
JJ, SB - I limp, and we see a flop 6 handed. The maniac bets 250 on the flop, K85. He bet huge on nothing before, do I call? Two others call, and I am looking more and more like I'm willing to rebuy here. I call. Another low card on the turn, and I call a 150 bet. On the river its checked around, and I'm amazed to see my weak tight bullshit has netted me a 1600 pot. Two of the three in the pot were playing like maniacs, so I don't think it was terrible of me to be in the hand, but it was terrible of me to be a calling station in the hand. Raise or fold, baby.

Level 4 - blinds 50/100

I now have 3375 chips, the blinds are 50/100 and the low stacks will pobably go rebuy crazy this round. I've doubled my stack without any rebuys. This level I plan to play rediculously tight, but will take a shot to score big off a rebuy-happy short stack if I get a great hand.

A8o, cutoff, folds

Key Hand
JTs, cutoff-1. See that speech above? Ignore it. I limp here in a 7-way pot. I call the min bet when I flop 2nd pair with 1 diamond on board. QJ5 flop. On the turn I hit the king of diamonds. 3rd pair but straight flush draw... Pot is already 1700. web.geek bets 200, callers abound. Jesus this is insane. Please hit. 6 of us call. Ace/9/diamond. River is a 9. AT does beat me but I'm paying that off if its there. web.geek bets 400. I re-raise him all in(only 435 more). He calls and shows AJ. My straight nets me a 4370 pot, WOW.

There were about 6 people calling that 100 flop bet and 200 turn bet. No raises.

I am now 64th out of 284, without any rebuys :P

K2o, MP, folds
T2o, UTG+1, folds
65o, UTG, folds
T2o, BB, folds

4 minutes until the break, and the end of the rebuy period. 520 rebuys so far.

Q8o, SB, folds
Q6o, button, folds (flop Q66, turn 6, TEEHEE)

WhiteHawk01 has rebought 3 times in the last 5 minutes.

Lady LG has somehow amassed 42,000 in chips. That's 14,000 more than 2nd and double 3rd.

Level 5 - blinds 75/100 - 1 hr break - add-on period/end of rebuys

I decide to add-on. I am 1000 chips above the avg stack, I think I'm in a position where the add-on will signifigantly help me against the rebuy monkeys who have 3000 chips right now(there are 4 at my table between 2000-3000 in chips).

rebuys get us up to 10 seats into the $500 tourney. We get very close to 11 seats but I think we're going to come up short. Nope, it comes through at the end, 11 seats available!

Ok, 264 of the original 385 remain after the hour. 385 entries, 576 rebuys, 206 add-ons, all for $5 each.

I am 73rd out of 264 at the hour break, I have 8360 in chips. That's good for 4rd at my table. Quindel, chipleader at the table, has 14,360.

52o, MP, folds
75o, MP, folds
K2o, UTG+2, folds

STRIKER and whitehawk_01, two fo the worst rebuy monkeys at my table, are playing most every hand. Looks like I need to stay beginning-of-tourney-ultra-tight for 1 last level to let some of the crap weed itself out.

T5o, UTG+1, folds
74o, UTG, folds
32s, BB, button limps, SB limps and come on A45 diamonds flop! KKJ, two diamonds. I decide to bet the pot, and I win it right there.

74o, SB, folds - spinster(the button last hand) and STRIKER seem to play lots of hands against each toher. Lots of 150 min betting. striker calls down KJ5 flop, K turn, T river, calling spinster's all in on the rive.r Striker has? A5o. spinster has KT for the doubleup.
A2o, button, folds - this is a 5 way pot - viking18 underbets the pot the entire way, including the river, with overcards(KJs) on a ten high board. He had no draw, just overcards. 4126 calls him down. With middle pair on the flop. A6o.

crap, cutoff, folds - 5 way action, 450 bet on the flop, followed by a 300 bet on the turn. all 5 are in til the river, another 300 bet on the river by our fearless chpleader quindel is called down(NOT RAISED). When running queens give 4126 trip queens/ace kicker. quindel had top pair on the flop with an 8.

J8o, cutoff-1, folds 4 way action this time.
K6o, MP, folds

My double-shootout is starting. 81 people, 9 single table SNG's. The 9 winners are the 'final table' ... at that table, 3-7 get their money back, 1st and 2nd get a $530 entry into the WCOOP. I of course can't write both up. I'll move to the shootout for awhile should I win the first tourney and actually have a shot.

Q6o, MP, folds
83o, UTG+1, folds

Level 6 - 100/200 blinds

I have 8585 chips, having increased my stack by about 300 chips in the last 15 minutes. I sit 85th out of the 230 remaining and still 4th at my table.

76o, UTG, folds
J5o, BB, folds to min raise from quindel (he has AKo)

TT, a trouble hand of mine(and most I assume) - Quindel raises to 800. spinster48 calls. With 1 to act still and one caller already I decide I'm playing for a set there and fold. an ace hits and quindel bets 3000 chips, spindel folds. Does anyone do anythign different here?

K2o, button, folds
86o, cutoff, folds
A8o, cutoff-1, folds to a raise to 600.
K4o, Mp, folds
72o, MP, folds

shootout note - 3 are out in 10 minutes at my table. I won a very small pot with JTs. My 1560 chips(from starting chips of 1500) is 2nd in chips, guy to my left just knocked out 2 in one shot and has 7000 almost.

K9o, UTG, folds

New guy, powerdave, has joined the table to my right. 12,000 in chips and in a big pot against quindel on the first hand. quindel calls all in from powr dave and dave now has 29,000. His A6 hit two pair and crushed quindel's KK.

Key Hand
KJo, BB - 3 way free flop for me. Flop comes KT3, two hearts. powerdave(actually it's pawner dave as I read more closely) bets 200, I raise to 800, and only he calls. The turn brings the flush. I bet the pot, 2000 chips, ready to fold if he comes back at me, but he folds, and I take it down. Only a small gain really but a very helpful one.

crap, SB, folds
T5s, button folds
K3o, cutoff, folds

AKo, cutoff - 1, with one limper I raise to 800. pawnerdave is that limper. A king hits the flop(KT4 rainbow), I bet the pot(1800) and he folds.

Level 7 - blinds 100/200 - ante 25

shootout update - down to 1435 as the blinds go up to 15/30. 6 of us left still.

I have bult my stack up over 10K, 10,460 to be exact. The antes mean there's 525 in the pot before anyone acts.

I am 68th out of the 193 remaining. I am 3rd at our table. pawnerdave has 24K, 4126 has 18K.

84s, MP, folds
Q4o, MP, folds
95o, UTG+1, folds
97o, UTG, folds - 3 in for an 1800 raise. 6200 pot pre-flop. zeroexp, the raiser, has AA, he busts out whitehawk, and he's 3rd at the table w/ 15K now.

A5o, BB - pawner dave raises the min pre-flop. I call as does spinster. The flop comes AJ8, two spades and he immediately bets 1800. I fold with my weak kicker. Good bet by him if he bluffs me out. Does anyone else put 20% of their stack in here?

crap, SB, folds

A4s, button - folded to me, I open-raise to 600. A short stack, STRIKER4969, calls me. He goes all in for 1600 on the flop, 789 all hearts(I'm spades), and I fold. I've dropped about 1K in chips here real fast.

crap, cutoff, folds

I note that a 600 raise isn't 3x the blinds with the antes involved. Wonder what my standard open-raise should be?

94o, cutoff-1, folds
A2o, MP, folds
T4o, UTG+2, folds

new guy bigsherman has caught 3 huge hands real fast, full house, flush on the flop, and pocket aces to go from 6K to 22K in 3 hands. Nice run.

shootout update - down to 5, and I'm down to 1100 in chips after pushing a bit with A9s(decent hand 6 handed) but coming up empty.

crap, UTG,

Level 8 - blinds 200/400 - ante 25

KQo, BB, I make a bad move calling a raise here, and have to fold on a bad flop.
Q5o, SB, folds

I now have about 20x the big blind, not low enough to all in/fold by any stretch, but enough to start all-in'ing on any flops that I like that I'm in on a raise for.

shootout update: I catch two pair on the river with A5. Too bad the card that gave me two pair gave my opponent a straight. I am out.

I am down to 7835 here as the blinds pass me. I am about 90th out of 150 remaining.

72o, button, folds

Weirdest thing ever
K7s, cutoff, folds to a raise - raise to 800, call, all-in for 2700, call, alli n for 12900, call. WHOA. 3 all in here. 36s, KJ, 99. 63s!?!?!? That's the 12,900 stack. What'd he know that we didn't? 3 clubs flop. AMAZING. And the other big stack at the table calling off over half his stack with KJ? Insane. quindel(now at 30K) says he was ready for bed and trying to give his chips away.

crap, folded a couple of times.

iamlucky all in for 5120. zekgb calls 1900 all in. quindel all in... quindel has JJ this time. zek has KK, iamlucky has A4. an ace hits and all 13,387 is his.

73o, UTG+1, folds
J7o, UTG, folds

a guy going all in and losing lets me skip my BB.

85s, SB, I limp for 200 to see a 3-way flop. IamLucky says I don't thoughand raises to 3200. 4126 calls, and I have to fold. iamlucky all in on the flop for 22K, and he wins the pot.

I am down to 7260. Needing to make a move stage.

J2o, button, folds, and the worst part of my tournaments generally. People have gotten so loose here that I just don't know how to play it right.

Q2o, cutoff, folds
the mighty 63s, folded(how could I?)(it missed)

Key Hand
KTo, MP, 4126 calls, I raise it to 1200. jamtech calls and 4126 calls behind him. I miss totally, 4425 in the pot, am I in or do I give this up? I have to finish in the top 11, I'm not leaving myself with 4500 chips here. I push all in. jamtech thinks long and hard, requests time, and calls. I'm screwed. 4126.... he won't call too will he? No. HAHA. same hand. KTs. But, jametch has the flush draw. Luckily, it doesn't hit. I am back up to 8100 with that bullshit.

Too loose? OK but too loose if it wasn't a winner take all gotta make a final table tourney?

K8o, MP, folds
T2s, UTG+1, folds

Level 9 - blinds 300/600 - antes 50 - 2 hour break

Now with 8K in chips, I am getting pretty low. I am 90th out of 126 remaining at the 2nd break, basically the same # of chips I had left at the first break.

Q8o, UTG, folds

With 1350 in the pot from blinds and ante's, I am getting very close to a push/fold situation here. In fact after the blinds pass me I'm there. Push/fold.

82o, BB, I get a free flop which comes AKQ and I have to fold at the first opportunity.
Q8s, SB, 4126 limps, plibby goes all-in for 3200 chips, and I have to fold. 4126 folds too, giving plibby the 2550 pot.

7023 chips for me. push/fold.

76o, folds
K4o, folds
52o, MP, folds

KJo, UTG+2, all in. Blinds stolen, up to 8123.
J4o, UTG+1, folds
T5s, UTG, folds

Q7s, BB, 4126 is all in for his last 1500 or so in chips. I decide I have the odds to call that here with the dead money + he's desparate + I'm already in for 600. No luck, he has AJo and I don't hit anything.

crap, SB, folds - 4126 gets AQ this time, doubles up again, right back to 8300. Nuts.

J7s, button, folds

I have 6200 after the loss + blinds

62o, cutoff, folds - 4126 busts out, JJ vs I'll Be Back's QQ (throw in Quindel's KTs, he still wants to sleep) - I'll Be Back just won a 43,900 pot there.

crap, cutoff-1, folds
JTo, MP, folds (should I push here? Hmm, a little low I think for now).
T2o, UTG+1, folds
T5o, UTG, folds

A5o, BB - 5287 left after my BB, I think I have to go here. Quindel raises to 1800, I push. He shows me A4s. no flush for him, he needs a 4 on turn/river. it doesn't come.;.. oh wait. The board just paired. kickers don't come into play(and there was a deuce on the board, so they could ahve)

A5s, SB - I push again. I open-raise here though... this time i'm called by JJ. Ugh. I flop an ace, but, he flops a jack. That's the end of my day. I am out 94th.

Comments are always welcom, I opened it up a bit here but I might have done it at the wrong times against the wrong players.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:11 PM   #163
Radii
Head Coach

Updating my bankroll since I haven't in awhile now. I've been treading water, floating between $2400 and $2600. Right now I'm almost even.

PokerStars: $502
InterCasino: $101
Neteller: $382
PartyPoker: $1514

TOTAL: $2499.

That's after quite a large win in ring games today, I was down below $2400 a little bit earlier today(Still playing and still winning, but that's the current snapshot).
Old 07-24-2004, 11:11 PM   #164
Radii
Head Coach

Dealt to radii [ 6s 5s ]
Grendel_II folds.
teleblue folds.
tcprince calls [$2].
Frankdadank folds.
ElHombre folds.
biffster82 calls [$2].
JGlass02 folds.
radii calls [$1].
Angigallo checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4s, Jc, 2s ]
radii checks.
Angigallo checks.
tcprince bets [$2].
biffster82 calls [$2].
radii calls [$2].
Angigallo calls [$2].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Ac ]
radii checks.
Angigallo checks.
tcprince bets [$4].
biffster82 calls [$4].
radii calls [$4].
Angigallo folds.
** Dealing River ** [ 3s ]
radii bets [$4].
tcprince calls [$4].
biffster82 calls [$4].
radii shows [ 6s, 5s ] a straight flush, six high.
tcprince doesn't show [ Jd, Js ] three of a kind, jacks.
biffster82 shows [ Ah, Qc ] a pair of aces.
radii wins $38 from the main pot with a straight flush,

Thought about check-raising the river, but alas.

Again, god bless partypoker weekend play. Seriously, the night play is drastically worse than the afternoon play(or the when I play for an hour when I get home at 5pm), and the weekend play makes the evening weeknight PP players look like poker gods. Not b/c of this hand, just how much I've won in general during the weekends lately.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:49 PM   #165
Radii
Head Coach

8000 hand update

I am very, very pleased with my turnaround in ring game play, things are looking solid here.

8029 hands at 2/4
Won $518.06
won 1.06 BB/hr/table
BB/100 hands: 1.61
Overall win rate: $14.14/hr

I would not be unhappy to just sustain this rate at 2/4 for some time, though I think 2 BB/100 hands is reasonable. I am nowhere near thinking about 3/6 yet. I don't have a set timetable, but I suspect that at maybe 20,000 hands I'll go from 4 2/4 tables to 3 2/4 tables and 1 3/6 tables, and do that for a few thousand hands, and slowly work my way up to full 3/6 action.

Tomorrow may well be my last night playing poker for a week or more, Tuesday nigth we have dance classes, and Thursday we are getting up very very very early to drive to chicago for abotu 5 days.

I would love to have a solid day tomorrow and to be able to cash out just a couple hundred in "profit" (over my $2500 baseline) for the month. I'm at about $2590 right now. Given how often I strayed into dead money tournament land I think that would be quite the feat.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:54 PM   #166
Radii
Head Coach

A slow, uneventful marathon session. Down as much as $70, up as much as $80, finished up about $20.

9000 hand update

I am very, very pleased with my turnaround in ring game play, things are looking solid here.

9008 hands at 2/4
Won $532.44
won 0.95 BB/hr/table
BB/100 hands: 1.48
Overall win rate: $12.98/hr

Not bad at all.

Last edited by Radii : 07-25-2004 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #167
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Radii,
Just wondering why you aren't playing more $30+3 tourney's when you get sick of limit? Seems like you were getting a much better ROI on that than these other larger tourneys. Have fun on your trip.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:15 PM   #168
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline
Radii,
Just wondering why you aren't playing more $30+3 tourney's when you get sick of limit? Seems like you were getting a much better ROI on that than these other larger tourneys. Have fun on your trip.

They disappeared from partypoker for awhile and that's when I started trying out some of the cheaper MTT's. Since then I think its the allure of going for the big score. It would seem to reason though that improving at the 3-table tourneys would be a start to improving at some of the different stages of big MTTs as well, so that seems like a pretty good idea to me
Old 07-26-2004, 11:09 PM   #169
Radii
Head Coach

I enter a $30+$3 3-table tourney, and get seated at table 2. I open up in the cutoff.

Level 1 - 10/15 blinds

JTs, cutoff, folds to 50 raise
53s, cutoff-1, folds
Q3o, MP, folds
53o, MP folds
AKo, MP, raise to 50, a short stack of 15 calls all-in, and a limper before me calls. I bet 70 into the pot on the flop(TTx) and the other caller folds. The short stack has 54o, and a 5 hits the turn, so I basically win a net of 20 chips.
44, UTG+1, limp/fold to a raise

Key Hand #1
AA, UTG - I open-raise to 50 chips, and one caller(same guy from before, musicmachine). Flop 983, two hearts. I bet 75 chips and musicmachine calls. Turn completes the flush, I bet half the pot, 150 chips, and he folds. I take down 410 and am up to 1125 after my BB.

97o, BB, folds to a raise
42o, SB, folds to raise
Q2o, button, folds

Level 2 - 10/20 blinds

T2o, cutoff, folds

28 players remain, I have 1115 in chips.

A7o, cutoff-1, folds
T8o, cutoff-1 (after the guy 2 to my left gets knocked out), folds
KTo, cutoff-2, folds
J6o, UTG+2, folds - the guy w/ 15 chips left after about 4 hands, FINALLY goes out
85o, UTG+1, folds

AJs, UTG, I open-raise to 60, and musicmachine calls. FLop comes KQ6, I bet half the pot, and he folds on me. He plays too many hands, and is down to 345 chips. I wanted to bet big enough to get him out, but small enough I could fold to an all-in, I didnt want to throw in 300 more there. Worked!

Q9s, BB - I get a free flop, and it's a beauty, A63 all clubs(my suit). I am going to take my chances against the king here. I check and then call a 50 chip bet from UPS_Grundle. The turn sets free any feras I had, it's the king. I check, he checks. River a blank and he folds to my bet.

Q5s, SB - I limp and we're 3 handed. Another great flop, Q54, two clubs though, I bet the pot(60 chips) w/ my 2 pair and take it down.

44, another limp/fold to a raise (very few raises so far, only when I have 44)
A4o, cutoff-1, folds

Wish I coulda gotten more on the flush but I have increased my stack.

Level 3 - 15/30 blinds

I have 1315 in chips, about average and 5th of the 8 left at my table.

23 people remain in the tourney.

J4s, UTG, folds
KJo, BB, the SB goes all in for 185. If it was heads up I might think about calling, but there's other limpers involved. A7 for SB, AK for wiener_dogs, good fold.
32s, SB, folds

A3s, button, 3 limpers before me, so I go ahead and limp too. So do both the blinds. Flop comes KQ4, two of my suit. I'll call a 75 bet on the flop. Ding! I make my flush on the turn. I again just call a 100 bet. The board doesn't pair on the river, so I've got the nuts. opponent checks to me, and I bet 225 into the 530 pot, hopefully a small enough amount to be called. He doesn't call me though and I'm getting some great hands but haven't been able to get great action yet.

I am up to 1595 and pleased w/ my stack so far.

crap, cutoff, folds - UPS grande and pokerputte, the two short stacks, end up all in on the river, 2nd pair vs top pair. UPS is almost out.

TT, UTG+1, UPS all in for 37 chips. huckdog calls. I raise to 100 chips - folded back to huckdog(a bigger stack than me by a bit). Flop comes ace high w/ 2 diamonds. We check it around. Turn makes the flush. huckdog bets the min, 30 chips. And I call that one. The river is a king and we check it, I beat huckdog but lose to UPS's two pair.

I am up to 1651 chips after that moderate win.

97o, UTG, folds
Q6o, BB, folds to 100 raise
Q6s, SB, folds to all-in 115 raise from UPS(who wins and stays alive)

Level 4 - 25/50 blinds

I am up to 1606 in chips, still slowly rising.

K5o, button, folds

21 remain, down to two tables on our next exit.

K6o, cutoff, folds
T7o, cutoff-1, folds
AJo, UTG+1, folds to UTG raise - raise with it but be wary of calling raises with it -
85o, UTG, folds
96o, BB, UPS hanging around, he raises all in for abougt 375 and wins the blinds
33, SB, folded to me, I raise and win pokerputte's BB

crap, folded on button/cutoff
J6o, cutoff-1, folds

UPS steals again to go up to 523 in chips.

QTo, UTG+1, folds

And UPS finally goes out, all in with 36o, called by QT.

crap, BB, raised out of it

32s, sb, folds

18 remain, a few went out real fast there, and we're down to 2 tables.

I'm an avg stack, but still 6th at my table out of 9.

63s, cutoff-1, folds
32o, cutoff-2, folds

Level 5 - 50/100 blinds

20 minutes til the break, very often we fall to 1 table by then, lets see what happens here. 18 left, my 1581 stack is just slightly under average.

crap, UTG, folds - two big stacks, huckdog and spook18 build up a 3300 pot... spook18 had nothing, huckdog bet hard w/ bottom pair(on the turn, he had nothing on the flop either)... weird, a HUGE pot between two big stacks for that?

T7o, BB, free 5-way flop but i can't play it

17 remain, one gone on table 1

note to self, huckdog will bet hard w/ pretty much anything.

Key Hand
AKs, SB - three limp, I raise to 500, with that many limpers a 3x raise is inviting people to play. spook18 goes all in for 695 more. I call, hoping he's got an ace. He does. AQo. Queen on the flop and I am utterly fucked.

286 chips left.

Key Hand

A2o, I'm all in open-raising on the button. august0000 calls out of BB with QJ, I hold up.

Key Hand

QQ, cutoff, short stack allin for 300, I am also all in for 622. short stack has A6, QQ holds up.

I am up to 1020 in two hands after losing that AK v AQ hand.

Key Hand
KTs, MP, one limper, I raise to 300, and limper+1 more calls. hit my king on the flop, but there's an ace and I am put alli n with a big bet.

720 chips remain.

76s, UTG, folds

J3o, BB, folds to raise

Level 6 - 75/150 blinds

16 remain, I am very short stacked in relation to blinds.

74o, SB, folds

I am left with 545 chips.

Q7o, button, I seriously consider going all in when folded to me... but I fold, I'll get something better in the next 6 hands.

J4s, cutoff, folds

Key Hand

QQ, cutoff-1, I raise all in behind a 500 raise from spook, my chance to get even? Of course not. He has KK.

I am out 16th.

All I have to say about that is, Fuck AQ.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:57 PM   #170
Radii
Head Coach

I join another 3-table tourney before bed, lets hope my hands hold up when I dominate others this time

Level 1 - 10/15 blinds

A9o, UTG+2, folds

I am at table 3

crap, UTG+1 and UTG, folded

J9o, BB, free flop 4-way, two aces and i'm out of there fast.
22, SB, certainly worth 5 chips... but not 140, folded.
98o, button, folds

99, cutoff, I open-raise to 50 chips(with other limpers I'd just call here but...) - of course, all 3 behind me call. The flop comes T74 rainbow, and checked to me, I'll throw half the pot out there, 100 chips. It works, and I take it down. I rise to 1125 with that one.

54o, cutoff-1, folds
72o, cutoff-2, folds
94s, MP, folds

Level 2 - 10/20 blinds

only 1 gone. I have 1125 chips.

QTo, UTG+2, folds
J4o, UTG+1, folds
A7o, UTG, folds - I'll skip my BB with a guy going out two to my right i believe.
K9o, SB, fold to a 100 chip raise - AT/KJ end up all in, KJ wins and 2 from my table are gone quickly.
K9o, button, folds
J9o, cutoff, folds
A6o, cutoff-1, folds
62o, UTG+2, folds

Level 3 - 15/30 blinds

AKo, UTG+1, I open-raise to 90 and steal the blinds.

AFter that I have 1160 in chips. 26 people remain. I am 3rd at my table but aside from the two 2000+ stacks we're all about the same.

Q4o, UTG, folds
82o, BB, free flop which does contain a 2 but not enough for me to play for more than the pot(100 bet on the flop)
64o, SB, folds to raise

89s, button, I limp and then call the min-raise out of the blind for a 5-way flop. It misses though so I'm out.

Key Hand
TT, cutoff, one limps, I raise to 90 chips. two call. Flop comes AJ3. The big stack checks, I bet 150, the most i'm willing to put into this hand w/o the miracle ten, but its' enough, i take it down.

J2o, cutoff-1, folds
KJo, MP, folds
43o, UTG+1, folds
32o, UTG, folds
93o, BB, folds to raise

Level 4 - 25/50 blinds

I have 1250 in chips, suprisingly still average as there are 24 people left.

K8o, sb, folds
T7s,, button, folds
64o, cutoff, folds
K4o, cutoff-1, folds
89o, MP, folds
Q4o, UTG+1, folds
JTo, UTG, folds
crap, BB, folds to first bet
Q9o, SB, folds
T9o, button, folds

some attrition finally, including "mrpoopyhead" going out 22nd from another table

75o, cutoff, folds
A6o, cutoff-1, folds to raise
43o, UTG+1, folds
43o, UTG, folds
K6o, BB, big stack raises 250, SB all in... JJ vs AKs... and we're down to 20 on that one.

I move to table #2, a full table, as we drop to 20 and as the blinds go up.

73o, cutoff, folds
J3o, cutoff-1, folds

Level 5 - 50/100 blinds

Q5o, MP, folds

18 remain, and I have 1100 in chips, 500 below average and next to last at my table. The cards were just total shit that last round.

AQo, UTG+2, finally a solid hand, Ax is going all in like crazy here the past few hands. I raise to 3x the blind, big stack calls me(sharpy33). Flop comes AJ9. sharpy bets 100, I re-raise all in. Sharpy calls and has AK. GOD. amazing.

The hand before mine A8 vs A8 all in on the flop. The hand before that AJ, AT and QJ all in pre-flop.

The hand before that JJ vs 66 all in.

I get AQ, hit an ace and run into fucking AK?

I'm out 18th. There's something just not funny about going out in one tourney with AK vs AQ(not OUT but that is what killed me), and in the very next one with AQ vs AK.

That's it for poker tonight, with tomorrow's plans weirded out I may play some tomorrow before the tirp, not sure yet. Tonight was very, very, very annoying. I got my chips in with very good hands, played pretyt solid agressive poker I believe, and just ran into walls. Shit happens though.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:55 AM   #171
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:

I retract my suggestion. Seriously, that AK v AQ really hurt what looked to be a very nice run.

Quote:
TT, cutoff, one limps, I raise to 90 chips. two call. Flop comes AJ3. The big stack checks, I bet 150, the most i'm willing to put into this hand w/o the miracle ten, but its' enough, i take it down.

It looked like you had some success taking a stab at the pot on the flop a couple of times. That could be helpful once the maniac players are weeded out at the beginning.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:28 AM   #172
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I retract my suggestion. Seriously, that AK v AQ really hurt what looked to be a very nice run.

Hah, no biggie. In the first tourney, the deck ran over me but i couldn't get enough action to make a big gain(perhaps I should have just played my flushes fast and hoped to get some action on them?). Then the AK hand hit and I was pretty screwed.

In the 2nd tourney, it had quickly turned into an all-in fest and against hands this guy I was up against had been calling all-ins with i figured to be no worse than 50/50. I was very suprised to see AK, but that's poker.

Quote:
It looked like you had some success taking a stab at the pot on the flop a couple of times. That could be helpful once the maniac players are weeded out at the beginning.

Was reading some 2+2 stuff talking about making half-pot sized bets in a lot of situations. Seems to be working so far, and when someone fires back I haven't crippled myself.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:27 PM   #173
Radii
Head Coach

Another $30+$3

going to limit it up tonight but right after work when the good players are still playing in the ring games I'm just going to risk my $33

I get sent to table #1, so I will not be moving most likely unless there is some serious attrition at an individual table.

Level 1 - 10/15 blinds

J8s, UTG, folds - KK/TT all in on hand one pre-flop. Whee.
62o, BB, folds to min raise
J9o, SB, folds
Q8o, button, folds

Key Hand

AA, cutoff - folded to me, I open-raise to 45. both blinds call me. SB leads out for 60 on a Q73 board. flush draw. BB calls. I re-raise to 275, about the size of the pot. He calls. pot is about 700 at that point. I go all in on the turn, I can't let a flush draw see that last card for anything less than all his chips. He tells me he has QJ and ponders and lays it down. I am up to 1400 on the win.

crap, cutoff-1, folds
33, MP, folds (no one had limped yet, i'm not gonna raise and not gonna get odds to play for a set)
Q2o, MP, folds
86o, UTG+1, folds
Q6o, UTG, folds
T9o, BB, folds to raise
Q9o, SB, folds to raise

Level 2 - 10/20 blinds

72o, button, folds

I have 1375 chips after level 1.
T2s, cutoff, folds
A6o, cutoff-1, folds
87s, MP, folds
83o, UTG+2, folds
52s, UTG+1, folds
75o, UTG, folds
K6s, BB, folds to raise+lots of calls

Key Hand
97s, SB - I limp for 10 chips. Flop top pair with a 9 (954 flop, rainbow) - I bet 75 chips and the BB calls me. Turn is a 7. I've got top two but i'm against a BB that got a free flop. i bet 125 chips, half the pot. He re-raises me to 700. I'm going all in if I play here. 97, two pair, with 9754 on the board and... i fold. He had me outchipped, and I feel like I'll have a better shot later, I could easily be drawing to 4 outs there.

Level 3 - 15/30 blinds

I'm at 1135 chips now, 27 still remain, tough tourney.

A4o, cutoff-1, folds
98o, MP, folds
crap, MP, folds - AA/99 all in. Ace and 9 on the turn. zschneider is up to 2400, sawneybean is out
83o, UTG+1, folds
54s, UTG, folds

AQo, BB, I call the min raise from tejasbabe, bet the flop (which had a backdoor flush draw for me and that's it) but fold to a large re-raise.

TT, button - coreryan raises to 90 pre-flop, I re-raise to 225. He calls, and folds to my flop bet on 3 undercard board.

crap, cutoff&cutoff-1, folds

Level 4 - 25/50 blinds

K4o, UTG+1, folds

7 left at my table. 21 remain total, almost down to 2 tables.

I have 1195 chips after 1 big loss and 1 big win last level.

96o, UTG, folds
Q5o, BB, fold to a raise

Dwon to 2 tables now - 20 remain exactly - 34 minutes in

K9o, SB, folds to raise

Key Hand
KJs, button, with two limps before me I go ahead and limp as well, the blinds come along too. Flop comes J95, two clubs - there's a bet of 100, and a raise to 200... that puts a fair amount in the pot, 550 chips. If I play, I have to go all in here. And I do, everyone folds, and I take it down.

crap, cutoff & cutoff-1, folds

Key Hand
A6s, MP, I open raise to 150. a short'ish stack calls me on the button. Flop comes T84, two spades. I have 1400 left, he has about 800. I bet 150, and he calls. The turn is a 6. Now I've got 3rd pair and flush draw, best kicker. I push all in, too agressive? with fold equity+flush draw+ maybe having the best hand anyway and in the lead the whole time(of the betting, that is) I figure it's an ok push. He calls and shows me the other two sixes in the deck, for trip 6s. The river makes up for yesterday's beats, it brings the flush without the boat. I pull down the pot.

crwp through the BB, fodled

Level 5 - 50/100 blinds

I have 2330 in chips. 15 people remain. I'm right in the middle. 4th out of 7 at my table, 3 of us are real close tho

44, SB, folds - two all ins, 65s vs AA. The 4 on the flop makes me cry, until I see the running aces on the turn and river(I couldn't call the 800 anyway but damn). quad aces for tomkivlehan.
84o, button, folds
85o, cutoff, folds
A3o, MP, folds

ATs, UTG+1, I open-raise to 300 and win the blinds

T5o, UTG, folds
QTo, BB, fold to 550 all in bet
73o, SB, folds
T2o, button, folds
Q4s, cutoff, folds
Q6s, UTG+1, folds - down to 5 at my table
94o, BB, folds to 400 raise
T9o, SB, folds
crap, button, folded to raise
62o, cutoff, folds

66, UTG, I open-raise to 300, called by tomkivelan - We check the flop, AT5. Turn is another 5, I bet 350 and he folds.

Q5s, BB, I call the min raise from zschneider - flop a flush draw and I bet into it 250 chips. flop is 776, hopefully an ugly flop for him. My play works and he folds to me.

Level 6 - 75/150 blinds

Those wins I just picked up push me up to 2655 chips. 11 still remain.

crap, Sb, folds
AJo, button, I steal the blinds
Q9o, cutoff, folds
72s, UTG, folds
K4o, BB, folds to raise
J8o, SB, folds

down to 10 as I fold my crappy button hand.

I have 2655 as we drop to 1 table, with 75/150 blinds for 7 more minutes.

T3o, cutoff, folds

I am 5th out of the final 10 in chips. Short stack has 760, then 1545/1500. The 3 biggest stacks surround me, 5725/4330 to my left, 4790 to my right.

crap, cutoff-1, folds - Mean_Foot(790) all in, crazzychet calls(he has 4000 left) and joeystew also calls. AK/AQ/99... AK/AQ end up splitting when the board puts up trips and an ace. Down to 9. I remain 5th in the mix.

crap, MP, folds - WOW, the two biggest stacks go all in against each other... full house vs flush. Down to 8, the #2 stack is gone. tejasbabe to my left has 12582 chips now. I am 4th out of 8 remaining.

TT, UTG - I open raise to 450 - zschneider re-raises to 1900. he's played very well all tourney. I say in chat "no way I'm beter than 50/50 here" and fold. He shows aces.

K8s, BB - free flop 4 way - flop misses me terribly and I don't fight it. Q-high flop, AQ ends up taking down a big one

J3s, SB, folds

Level 7 - 100/200 blinds - 1 hr break

The UTG loss and the blinds passing me knock me down to 1980 in chips w/ 200 BB coming up. I like the setup though, one giant stack, two big stacks and 5 of us fighting it out for the other money spots. I feel I play well in this situation. Not as well as if I'd won that TT hand or won the blinds or whatever, but still.

Chipcount/table order(starting to my left):

TejasBabe - 12,657
zschneider - 5680
Hollywood14 - 4405
joeystew1 - 1843
tahoeDog24 - 1185
ZekeT11 - 930
easyfold - 1320
radii - 1980 - I remain 4th, but not feeling great about that itself.

tejasbabe and zschneider were at my table the whole time. TejasBabe played a lot of hands, played agressively but knew when to get out of the way. zschneider was pretty tight/very agressive, had the best hand most every time he played. He's the one that layed down top pair vs my AA very early on.

K3o, button, folds - joeystew setals the blinds to go up to 2143

77, cutoff - easyfold goes all in befoer me... I'll raise w/ 77 but od I call an all-in with it? 50/50 at best right? Not good enough for a call. I fold

K6o, cutoff-1, folds
83o, MP, folds
74o, UTG+1, folds

Key Hand
AQs, UTG, I open-raise to 700. Big stack calls me. I flop a four flush and that's good enough for me. I'm all in. I get called by pocket Jacks, and I am out 8th

Bad move on a draw? Or with AQs vs JJ late at the final table am I just doomed there? If I check, he goes all in and I think I have to call w/ overcards and flush draw.

Last edited by Radii : 07-27-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:36 PM   #174
Radii
Head Coach

It took another 10 minutes before they got into the money, the blinds were 150/300 when it happened, it turned into a crapshoot between the small stacks.

Also, looking at the odds, I was still 50/50 on that flop w/ the flush darw and overcards... in that chip position, wanting to get in a position to win and not just hope to limp into 5th, I'd make that move again.

I'm happy with my play in all 3 of these, it'll come. playing one more tonight.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:49 PM   #175
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Also, looking at the odds, I was still 50/50 on that flop w/ the flush darw and overcards... in that chip position, wanting to get in a position to win and not just hope to limp into 5th, I'd make that move again.

Yeah you were the favorite there and I think you had good reason to count the ace and maybe the queen as good as well so that combined with the chance that he is going to fold if you push make good sense. Good laydowns with the TT and 77 BTW.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:31 PM   #176
Radii
Head Coach

Ok, one last try, probably my last poker before the trip. A top 2 finish puts me above $2500 on the month, anything less and I'm down a bit I believe.

Level 1 - 10/15 blinds

K6o, cutoff-1, folds
T9o, cutoff-2, folds

one guy is having lots of lag problems. Lets home he goes out early. 4 minutes in we're on our 2nd hand.

A4o, MP, folds
92o, UTG+2, folds
Q4s, UTG+1, folds
K5o, UTG, folds
A5o, BB, 4-way action, I fold on a bad flop

Key Hand
KK, SB - one limp, then a min-raise to 30. I re-raise to 100 chips. the limiper calls, the raiser folds. Q46 flop. I bet 300 chips into the 245 pot. Opponent goes all in. Here's hoping he has AQ and not a set. Even better. He has 65. The turn? a 5. Oh man. That is so painful. The board doesn't pair for me, I don't hit a king. I'm over 3:1 to win on that flop.

I'm down to 185 chips after that.

94o, button, folds
crap, cutoff/cutoff-1, folds

Level 2 - 10/20 blinds

A4s, MP, folds

now after that beat I need the disclipline to try to wait for a hand to dobule up on and not to go all in on A4 on a full table.

52o, MP, folds
A9o, UTG+2, folds
42o, UTG+1, folds
Q6s, UTG, folds

Key Hand
AJs, BB - the same guy that broke me with 65 raises to 60. I re-raise all in and we are heads up for all my chips pre-flop. He shows? 97o. The flop? 955. No help to me and I am out 30th.

Holy shit.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:06 AM   #177
Radii
Head Coach

End of July Update

I'm away from poker until next Monday night, so this is it for the month.

In July I got in a large number of 2/4 hands, and feel I can be solidly profitable multi-tabling limit poker at a level that, while not world-beating, noticibly helps me out financially. If I had the straight out disclipline to play 10 hours a week, nothing but 4 2/4 tables, the potential is there to pull in $500/mo extra money on an average month.

I also got bit hard by the multi-table tourney bug, and that is not something that is profitable for me right now. I would like to have/develop the disclipline to only play things that are either a) profitable now (single table sit n' gos really is it outside the ring games) or b) are a very minimal hit to my bankroll with the potential fora large payout($11 rebuy satellites into the big Sunday pokerstars tourneys). I need to buckle down and not give away as much in these things as I did this month.

Another change is coming in August. Kiddo starts school again. That changes everyone's schedules. Last school year I got up at ~6:45 w/ oliegirl and kiddo and played poker until about 8:45 when time to leave for work. I intend to do that again this year. I hope I find that the limit games are suitably juicy at that time oft he morning. That is something that will start up in the 2nd week of August.

Current Bankroll UPdate

InterCasino: $101
PokerStars: $364
Neteller: $382
PartyPoker: $1478

NET: $2325

Cashed Out: $100

It leaves me a little low this month, since I ended up waffling so much and not ending up ahead of my $2500 baseline, but I transferred some money to RPI-Fan through pokerstars and he paypal'd me the cash. I'm not going to bother putting that back into the poker account, it's going towards a bill.

August's goal is very, very clear. Give back a bare minimum of my profits in multi-table tourneys. I wanna play them, and I think it's +EV in the logn run to play them and get better at them, but it makes no sense whatsoever to make $50 at ring games and then lose $30 in a MTT. I have OOTP :P If the ring games get tiring I need ot just log off if I'm not way ahead and can really, really afford to take a shot at a small MTT.

I think a fair goal is hoping to have $3000 by the end of August, and to be playing 1 3/6 table amongst my 4 tables that I play. But poker happens in runs, and if I'm not on a good enough run to get to $3000, Im' not going to worry, as long as I'm playing well, and not giving money back.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:00 AM   #178
Subby
lolzcat

Radii - what is your overall record/stats in tourney play now (including single table)? Seems like you have just had a few bad beats lately, but overall have been playing strongly...
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:54 AM   #179
Radii
Head Coach

Here's the 3-table results, I hadn't played any in awhile so I had to go back and find my last update on them.

Updated Stats

Entered: 20
Entry Fees paid: $660
1st: 1
2nd: 0
3rd: 1
4th: 2
5th: 2

ITM%: 30%
Money Won: $900
ROI: 36%

That's after not making the money any in my last 4 tourneys.

I've also picked up the occasional $10 SnG, but i usually play a couple of those at a time and don't write them up. but I do load them all into pokertracker.

$10+$1 SNG:

28 entered

2 first
5 second
7 third

Entry Fees paid: $308
In the Money: 50%
Money Won: $390

ROI: 27%

The single table SNG's were driving me crazy yesterday. I had a stretch of 5 straight 2nd place finishes. In every single one of them I had the chip lead at some point during heads up play. KK losing to QJ when we were 50/50 in chips was the highlight of that. From my reading on the 2+2 board I see people talking about having a lot of 1sts and a lot of 3rds and the fewest seconds... basically, once inthe money, going for the win, and never just trying to survive til 2nd. I put myself ina great position to do just that but didn't get the wins.

Anyway, the single and 3-table SNG's I'm comfortable with for sure, and you're right, it does seem like in the past few 3-tables I've played well and gotten my money in as big favorites and taken a bad hit.

The multi-table tourneys are where I haven't kept good enough records, and have been losing a lot. I made the money in only 1 MTT during July, and I probably entered 10-15 of them, some of them as high as $50(but only 1 or 2 or those), many of them in the $5-$20 range. That is clearly a very, very, very negative return. That's where I have to control my leaks in the coming months. That is why I'm trying to set a specific goal in the MTT field. Play cheap satellites into the big Sunday pokerstars tourney. I'm outlaying as little money as possible, and the payoff should I have a good showing is huge.

I'll continue to update my stats on any tournament I play in from here on out, not keeping track of the MTT's obviously let me leak out more than I would were I recording exactly how much money I was putting into them.

Last edited by Radii : 07-28-2004 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:46 PM   #180
Subby
lolzcat

Aside from the bigger prize money, it just seems that there is too much of a random element to the multitable tourneys. You have a nice earn rate with the 3 tables and single table tourneys - unless you are just bored out of your mind, it seems like they are the most profitable.

I also wanted to thank you, because as a result of your dynasty I have tightened up a bit and stopped playing Axo so much during my single table play. Those hands are rarely profitable during the large part of the tourney and have really been eating me up. I also tried the "betting half the pot" strategy and came away with some success last night.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2004, 01:01 PM   #181
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Aside from the bigger prize money, it just seems that there is too much of a random element to the multitable tourneys. You have a nice earn rate with the 3 tables and single table tourneys - unless you are just bored out of your mind, it seems like they are the most profitable.

who knows, really. Clearly, I go all over the map in terms of the games I play, but I really feel at this point I'll always come back to the multi-tabling limit games. I think a part of me badly wants to be able to enter a $200 entry fee tournament, or to win an entry, and have a shot at placing well in the money and taking home thousands. The lure of the big score, etc. I am consciously willing to sacrafice a little EV in the short run to see if I can improve to the point that I am a threat in these types of tournaments.

Quote:
I also wanted to thank you, because as a result of your dynasty I have tightened up a bit and stopped playing Axo so much during my single table play. Those hands are rarely profitable during the large part of the tourney and have really been eating me up. I also tried the "betting half the pot" strategy and came away with some success last night.

And thanks to you and the other readers for keeping me accountable for my play and helping me improve my tournament game

Ax was one of the first things I fixed in terms of my limit play, i've viewed A9o and below with serious disdain ever since. They just get me in too much trouble. I don't like them even in the middle/late stages or a tourney but I'm learning to suck it up and get my money in anyway b/c it's very likely the best hand.

the half the pot strategy is something I'll toy with more. On Party 800 chips in a SnG or 1000 chips in a 3-table or MTT just doesn't go very far. Raise to 60 pre-flop, bet the pot on the flop and if more than 1 person has called and you don't have the best hand you're in serious trouble.

There are defintely people who see the less than the pot bet as a weak bet and play back with nothing, but I think most people will still fold to your agression if they haven't hit something they like.

I read about that on 2+2, I read the limit holdem section, then i read either the SNG or MTT sections, I read someone talking about how much more precious chips are in a tournament, saying that he felt in most cases you don't have to bet the entire pot,b/c the other person values his chips a lot more as well.

If I do have a legit hand, and there's a draw on the board, I'll bet bigger, I don't want anyone feeling like they've got the odds to try to draw out on me, but in most normal situations where I'm the agressor, I think I'll keep trying the half-pot bet and see how it works for me for awhile.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:33 AM   #182
Radii
Head Coach

Too tired to play when I got home tonight, but, I have a $100 bonus at partypoker waiting for me, and a $90 bonus at intercasino Poker for August waiting for me, so I should get into the black early in the month with those two. I have tomorrow off work, and have a couple of things to take care of but am looking forward to a couple solid 4-tabling sessions on partypoker to get back into the swing of things.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:12 PM   #183
Radii
Head Coach

After getting my ass beat for about 400 hands earlier in the day(played well, good hands just got crushed repeatedly), I took a break and am going to now play a 3-table tourney to get back into the action, I'll finish up my bonus in ring game play later tonight most likely.

I notice that they've added $50 2 table tourneys and $5 3-table tourneys on top of the $30 3-tables that I've been playing for awhile... for now I'm sticking with the $30 3-tables though.

Level 1 - 10/15 blinds

I open up at table #2.

J8s, cutoff, folds after just 1 limp and a raise(not enough people coming along for those implied odds)
53o, cutoff-1, folds - someone bluffs all in with AQs(ace high) on the river and is called by J2o(top pair on a scary scary board with the jack)... interesting hand. BunBoy1 called with the jack and has 2100 chips to my direct left.

crap, MP, folds. bunboy loses a ton when he flops 3 3's with J3o, ends up all in with ldmouth who has JJ... a jack comes on the river and ldmouth hit is single out.

crap, MP, folds - bunboy wins a big hand with K4(king high) against EZisBACK's J7(jack high)... I dunno what is happening here but I'm playing tight and letting these fish amass chips. Should be able to take them the first time i have a hand.

72s, UTG+1, folds

75o, UTG, folds

with 3 people berating each other's play, incision said "finally I can talk again, after having been muted by partypoker for 5 days" or something to that effect. can't wait to hear what he has to say, assuming he got banned from chat for something for a time.

42s, BB, fold on the flop

QTs, SB, limp into a 5 way pot. Flop comes Q94, two diamonds. I lead out for 75 chips, the pot size, and 2 of hte arguing fish are in the hand with me. I get 3 callers. The turn is another 9, and I bet 150 chips. I am called by tjworth. The river is a blank, and I decide to check, and call a small bet but fold to a large one. tjworth checks and has T5s, he rivered bottom pair on me... WTF? he didn't have the flush draw.

Level 2 - 10/20 blinds

5 are out, I have 1420 in chips.

KTo, folded to all in(300 raise)

AQo, cutoff, incision limps and I raise to 60(3x the blind). bunboy, ldmouth, and incision call. Flop comes Q87, two clubs. I have the ace of clubs. ldmouth bets out 50(he seems a decent player, but I would be surpised if I don't hve him beat). incision calls, 360 in the pot. I raise to 400. That's enough to take the pot. Bunboy has been playing like shit and I hoped I could get him all in there. (he called that all in raise last hand with 82o).

I am up to 1720 with that hand.

when questioned on his 82o play he says "dont no what was going on kinda out of it. Sorry"

interesting.

KQo, with limpers before me I just limp, not wanting to push this hard, I'll flop something big or fold. HMMM. bunboy raises to 85. everyone folds to me, I can call for 65 chips and kill the betting. If he has a good hand I could be in trouble though if I hit. I call. The flop misses me totally and I have no interest in this hand anymore. 865, two diamonds. Bunboy shows A6 diamonds.

QQ, UTG+1, I open-raise to 80 chips. the 3 right behind me call. AJ8 flop. I bet 200 into the 350 pot, the last chips I'm putting into this hand unless I catch a queen. The turn is a 9, and we check it around. The river is a 2nd ace. TJworth bets 600 chips, and I yield to him. ldmouth re-raises all in... A4 vs A7, they chop.

down to 1355 on those two hands.

Q4s, UTG, folds

Key Hand
Q3o, BB, free flop 6 handed. flop comes Q83 rainbow. A very good hand for me but a dangerous one too. I bet 75, 2 call, incision goes all in for 355 more. do I call or re-raise myself? I call. the other two fold. Incision shows QT, I have a lead but he's got outs. He hits, but not the way I expect... running j/9 for a straight...

Level 3, 15/30 blinds

crap, SB, folds

I have 890 after I fold my SB. 22 remain.

incision says "sorry" for putting the bad beat on me with that straight, and people ask why he's sorry, he won! interesting table really. Not that I'd say sorry necessarily, or care if he didn't say anything, I'm not the chatty type at the table, but the way people comment is weird here.

T7o, button, folds

AJo, cutoff, EZisBACK raises to 125, and while he's done some questionable things before he's played very well to get back up to 1000+ chips, I don't want to call a raise from him with AJ, I fold this one. EZ wins w/ a big flop bet

K2o, cutoff-1, folds
54o, UTG+1, folds

7 people at my table now, dropping to 2 tables any minute now.

T2o, UTG, folds

down to 2 tables. 19 remain.

64o, BB, folds
87o, SB, folds
Q5o, button, folds
K2s, cutoff, folds

Level 4 - 25/50 blinds

A8s, cutoff-1, folds

19 remain, 10 at my table. I'm one of the short stacks, one guy has 560, 5 including me have in the 800 range, and a couple are over 2000.

T4o, MP, folds

EZisBack raises bunboy all in, K9o vs 66... EZ either sucks or let bunboy tilt him to death. EZ is gone either way.

17 remain, 8 at my table now after EZ goeso ut and one gets moved.

A2o, UTG, folds
83o, BB, fold to a 400 chip raise.
Q6o, SB, folds

770 after those blinds

Tough decision
A very tight player in acorn9187 raises to 200 pre-flop. I haven't seen him play many hands, and when he does, he plays them hard. I have AJs on the button. What to do? I figure I can't cold-call this and I didn't want to re-raise a tight player all in here... so I folded. turns out(as someone else called and went all in on the flop) that he also had AJs, other guy had 88. a jack hit and acorn knocks him out. Thoughts on this hand? Acorn got moved from table 3 here when we dropped to 20 so I haven't seen him too often, but he's been selectively agressive from what I can tell.

crap, cutoff, folds
98s, cutoff-1, folds
K3o, MP, folds
54o, UTG+1, folds
Q3o, UTG, folds

Level 5 - 50/100 blinds

Q5o, BB, fold to800 pre-flop raise
93o, SB, folds

Now I'm in trouble. 620 chips left after the fold. 15 remain still, 8 at my table. I am getting to all in/fold pre-flop time now, knowing that 1 double up won't even get me to the final table.

97o, button, folds
64s, cutoff, folds

Key hand
A6s, cutoff-1 - kevdoggy raises to 200. blinds coming in 3 hands, this is an all in situation for me I believe... if I fold I get too short stacked to do anything when the blindshit. He has AT, but I hit a 6, and I survive.

Key Hand
AKo, MP - I raise to 300 pre-flop. acorn calls me. Flop comes 886. He checks, and I go all in. 1000 into a 700 pot. He waits, waits, waits, types in "overcards?", I say nothing. Waits, waits, time running down. "you're on overcards" ... "but I can't risk 1K" and folds. I don't show, I say "small pair?" he says "of course" and I say "good fold " and that was that.

couple of crap hands folded, BB/SB

Key Hand
AJs, MP - kevdoggy all in for 230 pre-flop. I call as does murdock24. Flop is very pretty. Jxx, two fo my suit. I go all in, murdock folds. kev shows A4s and doesn't his his miracle running 4s... I win the pot.

another BB folded, flying by now.

K8s, folded to all in raise. AQ vs AQ, I woulda won on a king but alas.

A3s, button, I open-raise to 300 and steal the blinds

Level 6 - 75/150 blinds

J4o, BB, folds

A9o, SB, I raise to 300, bunboy comes over the top all in and I give it up. BLEH.

50/100 was very good to me. 12 remain starting this level, 6 at each table, and I have 1860 chips after the blinds pass me.

1860 is below average but enough to live on for now.

85o, UTG, folds
86o, BB, folded to me, hooray
64o, SB, folds

few hands folded as we finally fall to 10 people, one guy going all in 4 straight hands before getting busted finally.

FINAL TABLE

I skip my SB and will start in the cutoff as 10 remain.

avg stack is 3000, my 1710 is good for next to last at the table. Blinds go up to 100/200 very soon and I think these are mainly solid players, I'm going to need a lot of luck to cash here.

A5o, cutoff, folds
K7o, cutoff-1, folds

Level 7 - 100/200 blinds - hour break

table starting to my left:

sundreammer - 5322
capper84 - 2757
acorn9187 - 4173
bigjake10 - 2564
bhoward19 - 2530
GLG1954 - 2508
bunboy1 - 2252
joshisgood - 4622
princeisiah - 1562
radii - 1710

Key hand

first hand back:

Let me look back a few posts. How long ago was it that I lost AK vs AQ to a straight to go out of a 3 table? I raise to 500 with AK. re-raised all in by acorn. I say "coin flip? GL" and call. He shows AQ. board comes 789TJ. I play the board, his queen gives him a higher straight. Motherfucker. Again.

I go out 10th instead of doubling up + some to a very playable 3800ish chips. Fucking amazing. Just fucking amazing.

Entered: 21
Entry Fees paid: $693
1st: 1
2nd: 0
3rd: 1
4th: 2
5th: 2

ITM%: 28.5%
Money Won: $900
ROI: 29.8%

cannot believe I went out that way again.

big losing day so far today, but a $100 bonus on party and an upcoming bonus on intercasino will help out soon.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:30 AM   #184
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Tough decision
A very tight player in acorn9187 raises to 200 pre-flop. I haven't seen him play many hands, and when he does, he plays them hard. I have AJs on the button. What to do? I figure I can't cold-call this and I didn't want to re-raise a tight player all in here... so I folded. turns out(as someone else called and went all in on the flop) that he also had AJs, other guy had 88. a jack hit and acorn knocks him out. Thoughts on this hand? Acorn got moved from table 3 here when we dropped to 20 so I haven't seen him too often, but he's been selectively agressive from what I can tell.

I think you made the right play here. If I read TPFAP correctly, Sklansky thinks that AJ is a great hand to raise with, but a bad hand to call a raise with...what was his stack in comparison to yours? Were you ahead of him at that point? I guess if he was short-stacked it might be worth putting him all in, but I am guessing he wasn't.

I don't see the point on risking a sizeable percentage of your stack on calling a big pre-flop raise with AJ. Especially at that point in the tourney.

Tough beat on the final table...those will eventually swing your way, though.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:43 PM   #185
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
I think you made the right play here. If I read TPFAP correctly, Sklansky thinks that AJ is a great hand to raise with, but a bad hand to call a raise with...what was his stack in comparison to yours? Were you ahead of him at that point? I guess if he was short-stacked it might be worth putting him all in, but I am guessing he wasn't.

I don't see the point on risking a sizeable percentage of your stack on calling a big pre-flop raise with AJ. Especially at that point in the tourney.

Tough beat on the final table...those will eventually swing your way, though.

IIRC, I had about 750 in chips, the blinds were 25/50, the other guy had me severely outstacked.

I felt at the time it was a pretty easy fold, but after the fact I wondered since the blinds were 25/50 and going up to 50/100 shortly and I was down to about 750... wondering if that was my best shot.

I wasn't too annoyed about going out of the tourney yesterday, after the intial cussing at how it happened. But it was on top of a pretty big losing session at 2/4 (down about $170, was getting a lot of hands that you either win a lot with or lose a lot with, and I was losing... trips losing multiple times, etc).

I closed the night last night messing around with 7 card stud on intercasino, and won about $15 in addition to getting pretty close to the $90 bonus I can pick up there. In the next couple of days I will finish the intercasino bonus and the partypoker bonus, which, if I can win just a little on top of that, should put me back over $2500.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:38 PM   #186
Radii
Head Coach

Done with the InterCasino bonus for the month. I deposited $200 Tuesday, I just cashed out $397.

My first day back on partypoker was so bad that I think I am still down in the early stages of the month despite that. But it's probably close enough that the $100 bonus I need to finish at party will push me ahead. Of course, it's only August 4th, but its always nice to be ahead (neteller is slow right now so I can't get an exact count)
Old 08-05-2004, 08:17 AM   #187
Subby
lolzcat

How does the InterCasino bonus work? Is that the place that pays you to play a certain number of raked hands each month?
Old 08-05-2004, 09:31 AM   #188
Malificent
High School JV

Intercasino now provides a 100% match up to $90, which you have to play 5 x raked hands in order to unlock it (so 450 for the $90).
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:00 AM   #189
Radii
Head Coach

What malificient said. I don't really like the site very much, but $90/month in a fairly easy bonus to work off is just too easy and too good to pass up no matter what. It's certainly a better site than Pacific and some of the other crappy ones I've earned bonuses on.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:12 AM   #190
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
My first day back on partypoker was so bad that I think I am still down in the early stages of the month despite that. But it's probably close enough that the $100 bonus I need to finish at party will push me ahead.

This statement was exactly correct. Still down a little bit on the month but the $100 bonus at party combined with not losing money at the tables will push me back ahead :P Not a very good start to the month, but nothing at all that can't be overcome. Oliegirl is going to a concert tonight and I'm on babysitting duty for kiddo and one of his friends, but once I corral them and get them into bed I should be able to work off most of what I have left of the party bonus at the 2/4 tables, time to get in the black, and stay there for the month :0

I also have a $120 bonus at pokerstars looming. Still debating whether to go after that hard at the ring games, or just eventually get it w/ the tournament fees I pay here and there(I have had a bad history with pokerstars ring games, but I am a much better player now than I used to be).
Old 08-05-2004, 09:04 PM   #191
Radii
Head Coach

I join a $5+$0.50 NL Multi-table tourney, obviously not to strike it rich, but just to get some practice cheaply, I don't really feel like a lot of limit right now. There's a $11 rebuy tourney w/ $20K guarenteed later, I'll either play that or play some limit assuming I don't last a looong time in this one.

1500 chips per person, 15 minute levels. 1500+ entrants, info after late registration closes

Level 1 - 10/20 blinds

A8o, MP, fold
75o, MP, folds

1515 people have entered. 135 places pay. 100-135 pay $7.57. First pays $1742.

J9s, MP, I limp hoping to get in cheap, and fold to a raise pre-flop to 200.
62o, UTG+1, folds
92o, UTG, folds
J3o, BB, folds to raise pre-flop - debwad all in w/ A7 when an ace hit. called by AK. 7 on the river.

Key Hand
AKo, SB - one limp, a min raise, one caller to that - and I re-raise to 160. two call. Flop misses totally. Txx. I lead out betting 300 into the 520 pot, the last money I'll put in. both my opponents fold.

I have 1820 chips after that, a nice win for level 1.

K7o, button, folds
J6o, cutoff, folds
T4s, cutoff-1, folds
32o, MP, folds
K8o, MP, folds
84s, UTG+1, folds
98o, UTG, folds

Level 2 - 15/30 blinds

I have 1820 after the first level. 1335 of the original 1515 remain, and its dropping every second.

J8o, BB, free 3-way flop, I don't play at it when i miss.
96s, SB, wanted to see a flop for 1/2 a bet, but there's a raise to 120. Fold.

77, button - I limp and we're 5 way. The flop is interesting. 689, all hearts. I have a heart. A made flush may be slowplaying me, and I'm not 100% sure of the right play here when it gets checked to me. I decide to bet the pot, I bet 150 chips. I win the pot right there.

42o, cutoff, folds
52o, cutoff-1, folds

87s, MP, I limp after a couple before me also limp, and we get 6 way action. I flop an inside straight draw only, and I fold to a 60 chip bet(with 180 in the pot).

K9o, UTG+2, folds

Key Hand
JTs, UTG+1, another limp on my part, and another cheap flop. Flop comes Q58, two clubs. This time I call the 60 chip bet on the flop. I miss my draw, and I make a pretty dumb mistake. I decide to call a 120 chip bet on the turn. I fold when I miss my draws on the river, and regret the turn call. My opponent was too short stacked to make that gamble worth if, and chips in a tourney are precious. I know this. I just don't play like it sometimes.

T2s, BB, fold to a raise pre-flop.
J9s, SB, I limp and then fold to a 300 chip raise from the BB

I am down to 1595 in chips after the key hand above and the blinds.

A3o, button, folds
J6o, cutoff, folds

87s, MP, limp into 5-way action. These hands are good to play for cheap early on right? flop comes 256, one of my suit. straight draw/backdoor flush. There's a min bet I'm happy to call, then a 250 chip raise I'm happy to fold to.

K5s, MP, folds
76o, UTG+2, folds

Level 3- 25/50 blinds

The misplayed JTs and a few limps that go nowhere drop me to 1565 as the blinds increase going into level 3.

I am 640th out of 1082 going into the level, no problems but I need to improve some by the break.

K5s, UTG+1, folds
74o, UTG, folds
87o, BB, folds to a PF raise

Key Hand
AJs, SB - a guy that just took a bad beat raises all in for $315 more of my chips. Do I call this? I do. Guess he wasn't tilting. He shows AA and wins. I wouldn't have even considered it had he not just lost a big hand on a pertty bad beat.

I fall to 1175 chips after that loss

JTo, button, folds
95o, cutoff, folds
53s, cutoff-1, folds ricky_jsmes goes all in again(with a lot more chips this time) and shows A9o(against AKs). Oh well.
K2s, MP, folds
T2s, UTG+1, folds
64s, UTG, folds
93o, BB, free flop, comes A94. 4 others in the hand. I don't think I can play for this out of position with 2nd pair/ass kicker. I check/fold to a large bet.
74o, SB, folds
Q9o, button, folds
Q7o, cutoff, folds

Key Hand
TT, cutoff-1 - there's a min raise by debwad(to 100), I re-raise to 300 chips. Debwad in the early levels was playing all kinds of crap, so I don't know what to put her on here. debwad is the only caller to my raise. Flop comes 234, two hearts. debwad bets the minimum, and I go all-in for my remaining 800 chips. debwad calls quickly. AQo, with one heart. a 5/queen/ace/running hearts beat me. Turn is a 6, river a ten. I hit trips and double up!

xx, MP, folds
xx, MP, folds

QQ, UTG+1, I open-raise to 200 chips. I steal the blinds.

J5o, UTG+1, folds

Level 4 - 50/100 blinds

I have 2350 in chips when the level goes up, 404 out of the 860 remaining.

A6o, BB - free flop heads up w/ the button. Flop comes 789, 250 in the pot, butotn has 250 left. I bet enough to put the button all in. he folds.

crap, SB, folds

88, button, 3 limp before me... do I raise/call/fold this? with 3 limpers I decide I'm going to play this for a set and I just call. Flop comes T75, and I get 10:1 odds on a 100 chip bet, I make another call. The turn is an ace and I fold to a large bet. 57 and A7 all in against each other there.

Key Hand
AJs, cutoff - I open-raise to 300 chips. The button is my only caller. Flop comes 3 low cards, 2 diamonds(my suit). He has me outstacked by just a bit. What do you do? I bet the pot, well, 700 into the 750 pot. He folds. Too much? Good move on a crappy board when I took the lead pre-flop?

Key Hand
AKs, MP - I open-raise again to 300 chips. I steal the blinds.

K6o, MP, folds

I am moved to table 145(from table 8, they don't systematically break down tables like on partypoker).

85o, BB, fopld to 3x raise.

4 4000+ stacks at this table. Not much weakness here.

Jto, SB, folds
T6o, button, folds

ATs, cutoff - A big stack UTG makes a 3x blind raise. The table seems overly agresive but this is just my 4th hand... I decide to fold to him. He ends up winning on the turn w/ a nice bet.
K7o, cutoff-1, folds
J5o, cutoff-2, folds
J2o, UTG+1, folds

about 5 minutes til the break, which is good b/c I have two very anxious children in the apartment waiting for me to set up the tent they are sleeping in tonight.

82s, UTG, folds
T6o, BB, free flop heads up, which comes AK8, I am more than happy to fold that.

Key Hand
88, SB, I limp when two big stacks limp bfore me. THe flop comes 456, and I bet the pot(400 chips) and win it there. Should I raise pre-flop?

Key Hand
76s, button. Folded to me and I open-raise to 300. The BB calls(doh). Flop comes T42, we both check. The turn is a quene. BB checks to me, and I bet 500 chips, a pretty big bluff here, hoping it comes off and glamgrl(BB) folds. He thinks for quite some time, and finally does. A nice win for me at the break.

Level 5 - 75/150 blinds - 1 hr break

668 remain at the break. Avg stack is 3401, and I have 3250. I am 364 out of the 668 that remain. I am 5th out of 9 at my table.

I have to sit for an orbit to get the munchkins into bed. I miss a BB/SB while I'm sitting and come back with 3025 chips on the button.

44, button, fold to large PF raise.
T9o, cutoff, folds

Under 600 remain. I am 322nd out of 592.

QJo, cutoff-1, folds

Key Hand
AKo, MP - I open-raise to 450. a short stack re-raises all in, 675 more for me. I gotta call that. He turns over ATo. J53 flop. 2 turn. (no 4 plz). Oh bullshit. Come on. COME ON. 4 on the river. I guess it's better than a 10. We split the BB.

I have 3100 chips still. You have to get lucky to place well in MTT's right? That is decidedly not getting lucky. Ugh.

crap, MP, folds
96o, UTG+1, folds
T7o, UTG, folds
J8o, BB, folds to raise
T5o, SB, folds - a 3K stack raises the min, a 2K stack is all in... call, and AT vs AK again. AK sucks, remembeR? Ten on the flop.

Level 6 - 100/200 blinds

I have 2875 chips now after 1h 15m of play. I am 325 out of the 536 remaining, and 1500 under the average stack. I had one great chance to increase my stack last level. I need to find chances to increase it this level too.

82o, button, folds
J6o, cutoff, folds
94o, cutoff-1, folds

Key hand
A3s, MP - it's not great position, but I go ahead and raise with this one(too early to raise out of position w/ ace/bad suited?) - I certainly don't intend to show down that I'm willing to raise out of position with A3s. That idea goes out the window when a short stack calls me. He has 86o(very short stack in the SB). I flop an ace and win the pot, up to 3320 in chips before the blinds hit.

crap, UTG+1 and UTG, folded

K9o, BB - folded to a large raise pre-flop

a guy w/ a Teddy KGB icon sits next to a guy w/ matt damon's icon. The rounders quoting begins. Big time, dear god.

T5o, SB, folds

KQo, button - I fold to a pre-flop raise.. I have the guy outstacked but not by enough, if I call there (even tho the raise was just 3x) I feel like I'm committing 1800 of my 3000 chips.

Key Hands
AKo in the cutoff. Two big stacks limp. 900 in the pot now. I raise to 1000. I win the pot.
99, cutoff-1, I open-raise to 600 chips. I win the blinds.

Those two are nice, gaining me 1000 chips. Up to 4020. 250th out of 441.

crap, folded
JTo, UTG+2, folds
Q9o, UTG+1, folds

aannnnd, fittingly, teddyKGB knocks out matt damon. A7 vs KQs pre-flop, neither improve.

Key hand
QTo, BB - free 4-way flop. Hrrm. KJT flop. bottom pair/straight draw. I bet the pot, 800 chips. The big stack at the table, teddyKGB comes back at me all in. I think for a long time, 3000 chips is still enough to do damage. I fold. Bad play? Too agressive on that flop? don't bet the draw if I'm not willing to go all in on it? I'm unsure here.

crap, SB, folds

Level 7 - 100/200 blinds - 25 antes

2895 chips remaining. After the loss on the last hand I am now 302nd out of 399 remaining.

95s, button, folds

Key Hand
A6o, cutoff - I open-raise to 600, hoping to steal. glamgrl goes all in over me. I have to fold. glamgrl shows me QQ.

crap, cutoff-1, folds

After those two laydowns I now have 2245 in chips left. Bleh. Now I'm low enough that any pot I enter pot commits me.

J7o, MP, folds
Q9s, UTG+2, folds
Q4o, UTG+1, folds
Q8o, UTG, folds
65s, BB, folds to a raise pre-flop
84o, SB, folds

1795 after the blinds+antes lately.

T2s, button, folds
97o, cutoff, folds
54o, cutoff-1, folds
A3o, MP, folds - anyone go all in here? 1695 left, blinds 4 hands aawy and will be 200/400.

Key Hand
A5o, UTG+2 - all in. 1670 left. I'm likely to only get called by better hands here, but I'm out of time to make anything meaningful happen. If I let the blinds hit, I have 1000 chips left. ANyone not go all in here?

Anyway, I get called by AK. A fleeting high as a 5 hits on the flop, crushed by a king on the river. I am out 317th. Thoughts on any and all key hands are much appreciated. I feel there were 3-4 hands I played dead wrong, would like other thoughts from those that take the time to read the whole thing.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:11 AM   #192
Radii
Head Coach

longest post ever incoming.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:12 AM   #193
Radii
Head Coach

I fall to the lure of the MTT, wanting another reasonably cheap tourney to enter tonight, I want to play better here than I did in the last one.

This is a $10+$1 rebuy NL tourney. $20,000 guarenteed. That's 2000 entries+rebuys+addons. Getting upwards of 700 players I suspect we will have more than $20K by the time we're done rebuying anyway.

Yeah, 20K will be no problem here. 1000ish with late registration still going on, and lots re-buy right away.

Level 1 - 10/20 blinds

Remember, we have an hour til the end of the rebuy period.

Key Hand
KTo, SB - I limp and we are 3-handed. Flop comes KQ4. I bet the pot and get raised to 120 chips. I call. Turn is a 9. I call a 120 bet. River another 9. So many people go crazy here in a rebuy tourney. I may well get called by a large # of hands I can beat. I represent the 9 and go all in. I'm called by pocket 4s, that's a full house for him. I rebuy. Whee.

KQo, button - I limp/fold to a terrible flop and a big bet.
97o, cutoff, folds
KQo, cutoff-2, I limp again and we see a flop 8 handed. Yup, 8. Flop misses, I'm gone.
K3o, MP, folds

1036 entries. 533 rebuys already.

A6o, UTG+1, folds
87o, UTG, folds

Key Hand
TT, BB - I figure I have a chance to win big here... if I catch a ten. but nope, no 8 handed pot this time. I bet a little(80 chips) into a 246 all diamonds board, but fold when there's a large re-raise behind me. And one of the guys was just hunting the big payday... A6o. The other? flopped the flush. Glad I got out.

J6o, SB, folds
75o, button, folds
92o, cutoff, folds

Level 2 - 15/30 blinds

K2o, MP, folds

I sit with 1350 chips. 877th out of 989 remaining. 732 rebuys have occured. I would really like to make a big hand or two before the rebuy monkeys can't rebuy anymore.

Key Hand
J8s, MP - I'll limp with this 5-way and try to hit big. Flop comes KT9, two of my suit. Not bad at all. We check the flop around. Turn makes my straight, and puts two of a different suit out there. I bet the pot, 150, and all four fold. OH COME ON. First I hit top pair and am up against 1 of the 2 at the table that isn't a rebuy monkey? And now I hit a straight and have a flush draw and can't get any action from 5 players? Arrrr.

A9o, UTG+1, limp then fold to a 1500 all in.
K7o, UTG, folds
K9o, BB, folds to 300 raise PF
T2o, SB, folds
crap, button/cutoff, folded
Q4o, cutoff-1, folds
K9o, UTG+2, folds

Key Hand
JTs, UTG+2 - i call the min raise from UTG. we somehow get heads up on the flop(where are my 5 way pots?) flop comes T87, all diamonds, not my suit obviousyl. i bet the pot and win it. Back to 1500 even before the blinds come around.

Q8o, UTG, folds
53o, BB, folds to raise

Level 3 - blinds 25/50

1470 before the SB hits here, not very good out of the 850ish left, but this is a weird rebuy tourney, I have 30 minutes and can easily make something big happen yet.

K5s, SB, folds to big raise PF.

Key Hand
75s, button - 4 limpers before me, I limp too. Hmmm. I flop 2 pair. 765 flop, two diamonds. Someone immediately goes all in in front of me. He has me covered, but there's many ways I might have him beat. Gotta call. And, I suppose sometimes, you have the same hand. split pot.

54s, cutoff - another big limpy pot. I limp too. This one I'm not going any further in. 3 queens flop.

Key Hand
KTs, cutoff-1 - 3rd limpy hand in a row. well, just 5-way action this time. And this looks familier... KJ6 flop. Top pair, eh kicker. I bet 200 when its checked to me. one calls me. turn is a 9, I bet 350 chips into the 700 pot. River makes the flush, first to act checks, and I check behind him. He had me destroyed on the turn. QTs, and even worse on the river. QT of the flush suit.

Key Hand
QQ, MP - a few limp, and I raise to 300ish in chips. 3 call me. Flop comes 632, two spades. I go all in on the flop. Two call me. I'm playing for 3060 in chips. Turn is another two. More all-ins. I see ace-deuce. Oh man... that's what I wanted to happen on that all in on the flop, and he catches trips? Other guy has T3 for middle pair. river? QUEEN. RARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrraslj;feioa;f hahah. All bad beat stories on hold for awhile. A2 guy, who has rebought at least 4 times, says "nice catch" I respond "you too on the turn there"

I triple up + some to 3060 in chips.

crap, UTG+1, folded
J3o, UTG,folds

A8o, BB - two all ins before me, and I want to call but I of course can't. 99 vs K2. An ace hits the flop and I sigh, knowing I still couldn't call. A king on the turn and a 2 on the river, well, that's the A2 guy from eralier. He loves his 2s.

J8s, SB, folds

BTW, we are well over the $20K guarenteed now. 1036 entries + 1267 rebuys and counting very fast still. $23,000 in the prize pool now.

72s, button, folds

QJo, cutoff, I limp but fold to a re-raise from the SB (who eventually shows QJ unimproved to win the pot)

64s, I'll call that 5 handed(make it 4, BB sitting out folded). I flop a flush draw, and its checked to me. Both of these guys are morethan willing to rebuy so I'm not doing anything against them on a draw if I don't have to. We check it all the way to the river and my flush never comes.

Level 4 - 50/100 blinds

I have 2885 chips at the start of this level. The last rebuy level, with a 2K addon after this. I really don't want to rebuy again, but I don't want to go into the break with a lot less than average chips either. I think I have to be selective this round, but willing to take a risk too, b/c people will be going nuts to try to build their stacks before the break. The average stack will likely be 4500 or more by the break, and most will use their add-on.

After one hand, I get moved and no longer have any idea who the rebuy monkeys vs the guys playing "normal" now are...

J9s, UTG+2, folds
Q7s, UTG+1, folds
Q9o, UTG, folds

K8s, BB, UTG raises to 300. I'll call if lots before me just call, but there's a 2000 raise before me. So I'll fold. AQs vs 99. 99 doubles up.

Key Hand
66, SB - one limps, I raise to 500. I am called by a stack smaller than me. I don't really like the flop much but I am not going to back away from this one when it won't bust me(giving me additional chances to make a move and pick up some more chips). So I put him all in for 1000 more. He folds, pushimg me back up to 3400.

Key Hand
A9s, button - we see a flop 3 handed for the min bet(shoulda raised pre-flop in rebuy mode here?) - flop comes 975, all spades, I of course have no spade. checked to me, I bet the pot, and both players call. The turn is a blank, and I go all-in again here. Both players fold and my two risky moves have paid off in a very nice way.

I have 4435 chips now, just 250 chips or so under the average.

crap, cutoff, folds
83o, cutoff-1, folds
T6o, MP, folds

1 minute until the break/next level. the T6o hand is probably it, and if not it'll take a monster to get me to risk big on the final hand before the break. a 12,000 pot builds here and 3s full of 6s on a 66322 board beats pocket 7s.

Q4o, MP, folds

Level 5 - 75/150 blinds - hr break

With an average stack and a 2000 add-on I feel like I pretty much have to add-on here, and I do, now having put $30 into this tournament. There were over 1700 rebuys between 1036 entries. Off to hang up clothes and see what the avg stack is when I get back.

65o, UTG, folds

I have 6435 chips. Avg is 6800ish. I am 349 out of 802.

K2o, BB, heads up free flop, but i miss the flop, he has me covered, and I'm just not interested.
J3o, SB, folds
73s, button, folds
J3o, cutoff, folds
Q7o, cutoff-1, folds

Key Hand
AA, MP - I open-raise to 450. I am called by WIZ69, a bigger stack than me. KT9 flop. I bet the pot, 1100 on the flop. Decent chance it hit him and I don't want him picking up another card, that's a reasonably scary flop. He does indeed fold and I'm up to 6885 in chips.

crap, UTG+2, folds

A9s, UTG+1, UTG limps and I hope to create a limping chain-reaction. Doesn't work. All-in for 1500 from someone behind me and I can't call 1500 more. fold that pre-flop? raise it? Anyone call the all in? Would leave me w/ 5200 if I lost.

A5o, UTG, folds
87o, BB, fold to a raise
95o, SB, folds

by the way, 1036 entries, 1755 rebuys, 667 add-ons. All for $10 each.

1st = $8645.

Top 99 pay. 82nd-99th pay $51.

Q7o, cutoff, folds
J6s, cutoff-1, folds
97o, MP, folds
K3o, MP, folds
53o, UTG+1, folds

99, UTG, raise 3x to 450 chips, steal the blinds

Level 6 - 100/200 blinds

I have 6735 chips starting the level, but my BB is coming up.

74o, BB, free flop/fold to first opportunity
A4s, SB - folds to a 1500 raise

I am 372nd out of the 688 that remain. Avg stack is 8000. This is where I need the most work in these tourneys now. Finding positions to exploit advantages and making tough decisions in the middle stages after a signifigant portion of the field is gone.

crap, button, folds

Key Hands
A8s, cutoff, 1 limper, I raise to 600 chips. flop comes Q76, I bet 800 into the 1500 pot and win it right there.
A5s, cutoff-1, I open-raise again to 600. The same guy calls as last hand. Flop comes AQJ, I bet the pot(1300) and win it there.

I move tables. There are a lot of stacks in the 7000-9000 range here. One guy three to my left has 14,000 chips. One guy has 3500. The rest are 7K-9K.

J4o, UTG, folds

J8s, BB, folds to raise to 600.
83o, SB, folds

Two guys at this table are talking up all of the times they've made deals at final table, beating their chests quite a bit. WorkingHard and 20nCrAzY.

A4o, button, folds to raise
96o, cutoff, folds
72o, cutoff-1, folds
K9o, MP, folds
J5o, UTG+2, folds

Key Hand
33, UTG+1 - I open-raise to 600. A good enough sized stack calls on the button. I try to bet half the pot on the flop, and he goes all-in on me. I fold and am left with 6300 in chips. I don't like 33. Too early to try this?
crap, UTG, folds

K5s, BB, folds to 600 bet.

Antes starting soon.

T3o, SB, folds

Level 7 - 100/200 blinds - 25 antes

I have 6060 in chips, avg is 9452, I am 382nd out of 584.

With all the rebuys I am still in fine shape, 30x the BB in chips.

crap, button, folds

Key Hand
AKo, cutoff - one limp, I raise to 800 and get called. Flop comes QTT, and we both check. Turn is a queen. If he has a small pocket pair he won't call anything, if he has better he'll come over me like crazy... I check. River a 4, we check and he shows me pocket 8s. Shoudl I be more agressive there?

I am back up to 7335 chips with the win.

crap, cutoff-1, folds

62o, MP, folds

AJo, UTG+2, I open-raise to 700 chips and win the blinds/antes.

74o, UTG+1, folds
94s, UTG, folds
J9o, BB, fre flop heads up w/ SB - I flop a straight draw, T8s flop. Call a min bet for 200. Turn is another 8 and we check. River is another ten. I fold to a bet, now I just have a jack kicker to my 2 pair. Considered a bet on the turn butdidn't.

crap, SB, folds

Key Hand
AJo, button - two limp before me. I raise it up to 1000 chips. Both limpers call quickly. Flop comes AKx. DarthVader folds out of turn. other guy bets 400, making the pot 3900 chips. I immediately put him all in, he has about 4000 chips remaining. He calls, and I fear AK/AQ like you wouldn't believe, but, it's AT! I hold up and nothing pairs the baord to force the split, I win a large pot and am up to 14,100 in chips!

crap, cutoff/cutoff-1, folded.

I am up to 128th out of the 520 remaining, and am the chipleader at the table by a very small amount. 4 of us between 10K-14K, one at 8K and the other 4 4K and below.

Q8o, UTG+1, folds
Q5o, UTG, folds

this guy to my left, 20nCrAzY plays in this 20K guarenteed $10 rebuy tournament a lot(do they do one every night?) and is showing off his knowledge repeatedly "usually only pays 81, ya'll are lucky for 99 tonight boys" etc etc.

62o, BB, folds to 3x raise
J8o, SB, folds
K4o, button, folds

KJo, cutoff, I open-raise to 600 and win the blinds

Level 8 - 200/400 blinds - 25 ante

T4o, cutoff-1, folds
A4o, MP, folds
A5o, MP, folds
T2o, MP, folds

break after this level. I'm currently 135th out of 490 remaining. I'm 2nd in chips at the table, 4 of us stil between 10.5K and 14.5K. I have 13,860 at this second.

K2o, UTG, folds

Decision
A8s, BB - big stack raises to 1200. Here is a situation where I don't know how to play at this level of a tourney. I decide that I don't want to get involved with a stack as big as mine, and I fold it. If it was a 5K or less stack I think I'd call. Thoughts? do I need to open up and play there?

Q9o, SB, folds to 2000 raise
T8o, button, folds

A3o, cutoff, I open-raise to 1200 and am very pleased to steal the blinds

A4o, cutoff-1, folds

ATo, MP, I call an all-in by a very short stack (1014) - two others call as well. Flop comes 357. we check around. Turn is a 6, and I fold to another all-in, this one for 1751.

J9s, UTG+1, folds

a monster stack is moved to my right. 26,912. Nono. Make that 34,000 as his JT beats A3 all in.

J4o, UTG, folds

My 12,821 is about 100 chps away from the average stack size at present time.

92s, BB, folds to raise pre-flop

Oof. another big stack across the table. marcus7az has 40,000 chips. These two are 5th and 16th in chips in the entire tourney(411 left still).

crap, SB, folds
T8o, button, folds

wntsumgetsum is the 33,000 stack. He plays his big stack very well from what I've seen early on, he'll push you around with it big time.

J7o, cutoff, folds

99, MP, one limper and I raise to 1600 chips. I win the pot right there. $1200 is nice to pick up like that.

crap, MP, folds - wntsumgetsum pushes all in again on a scary board against a guy w/ 5K chips. he has a flush draw, called by AK. down to 29K for wntsumgetsum. 20nCrAzY gets back up to 14K.

Level 9 - 300/600 blinds - 50 antes

Average stack is 14,155. I have $13,296. I am 173rd out of 390 remaining. I am 5th out of 9 at my table, with the two giant stacks, two guys w/ 14.8 and 15.2K. The others are all between 6500 and 9900.

Two hours in, I've never lasted this long in a big rebuy tourney before(haven't played too many of them really). I need to improve a ton still to make the money. Average stack in the money w/ 99 left will be 55K in chips.

K6o, UTG+2, folds
98o, UTG+1, folds
K3s, UTG, folds
64o, BB, the big stack limps to me and we see a free flop. QQ2. I fold on the flop.

KQs, SB - I open-raise to 1800 after its folded to me. I win the blinds.

76o, button, folds

Key Hand
KQo, cutoff - two stacks larger than me limp, and I limp as well. we're 4-way. Flop comes KJ8. wntsumgetsum bets 600 on the flop. I raise to 3600, and am called. The turn is a queen. wntsumgetsum bets out 600 again, and I go all in for 9000 over him. My heart is racing :P He thinsk, thinks, thinks, and calls. He has KT. 9/ace and he wins. The river is a 3, and I double up + some to 28,650 in chips!!!

I'm now a dominant 2nd in chips at the table. marcus7az has 38,400. I have 28,500. TheSmitty 18,500. wntsumgetsum 14,500.

I now sit 39th out of 335.

Ok, enough excitement. Now I've got to play well with one of the larger stacks. Again something I have little experience with.

crap folded a few hands.

J6o, BB - fold to 2400 raise. wntsumgetsum goes all in over the shorter stack. A8 vs K9(wntsum is a little agressive there eh?) king hits and he wins.

Table Change
Blah. Just when I'm getting used to the table... I'm moved. Ok, raptor19 3 to my left has 56K. randwick 2 to my left has 25K. davetex across from me has 22K. Kidkwik directly to my left has 32K. Yikes.

A3o, cutoff, folds
J6o, cutoff-1, folds

blinds going up in the next 3-5 hands depending on how many of these are steals

K6o, MP, folds
K5o, UTG+2, folds
A3o, UTG+1, folds

I am assuming with so many big stacks I need to increase my steal requirements just a bit here? We are seeing flops on most hands here, despite a lot of pre-flop raises.

Level 10 - 400/800 blinds - 50 antes

This puts 1650 into the pot before any action. The standard 3x raise becomes 2400, 10% of my stack.

I have 27542 before the blinds hit. 56th out of 293 left.

63o, BB, the glorious free flop. not even close. A82. I fold the first time someone lets me.

QJo, SB - A raise to 2400 from UTG. A re-raise to 5000(all-in)... I can't call of course. TT vs QQ. QQ was the short stack, doubls up to 11K.

J5s, button, folds
T3o, cutoff, folds

70th out of 276. Avg Stack 20K.

Q6o, cutoff-1, folds - 3-way pot, 50K stack goes all in on the A52 flop after about 12K had already been put in, amkes a big move up there.

K8s, MP, I haven't touched my chips in quite awhile. I try to open-raise here to 2400. I hope people are noticing by now. BB thinks for quite some time and folds. wonder what made him think for a good 40 seconds?

I steal the blinds, signifigant at this level.

42s, MP, folds - 3 short stacks all in, AT/K3s/JT. AT wins a 23K pot and knocks two out at once.

71st out of 253 now.

That lets me skip my BB, whee.

97o, SB, folds
74o, button, folds

a small 5K stack and a not small 48K stack replace the two guys that were recently all in.

A3o, cutoff - folds to a raise before me.

Key Hand
22, cutoff-1 - 2 limp before me and I try to limp too. I get a 5-way flop, and it's pretty friendly, 345... we check it around. Now... a 6 hits the turn. I check. The river is a 3, pairing the board. marcoray bets 2400. Underbetting the pot a lot. How do I do this? If I make a signifigant raise he can cripple me if he has a 7. I decide to just call, and I win a 9K pot with my low straight. With 4 limpers and me, does anyone play this harder?

61st out of 233 now, avg stack 24000, I have 33000.

couple of crap hands folded.

Level 11 - 600/1200 blinds - 75 antes

Moving up fast now.

T2o, UTG, folds
T7o, BB - I fold to a raise PF
A4o, SB, I fold to a 3000 raise PF.
T2o, button, folds
J6o, cutoff, folds
Q2o, cutoff-1, folds

70 out of 220 remaining, avg up to 25K

87o, MP, folds
K8o, MP, folds
K4o, UTG+1, folds
A5o, UTG, folds

too passive on that? UTG that seems a bit much to push with.

82s, BB - folds to raise - UTG raise to 2400, UTG+1 calls. short stack calls. Giant stack calls. TT9 flop 4-way(17K pot) - chcekced to short stack, he bets all in for 7K more. big stack folds. PF raiser calls. AJ vs 77. short stack has AJ, nothing on the flop. Catches a jack on the river. 29K. grats pretty much quadrupling up.

J3o, SB, folds

28,367 after blinds - 83rd out of 203. avg is 28K

A8o, button - cruz18 limps, I raise to 3600 on the button. folded to limper, he calls. Flop is a beauty. AT8. I bet 8K on the flop and win the pot there.

34K now.

K8s, 6K stack all in before me. I fold.
K2o, folds
KTo, MP - folds

AJs, UTG+1 - I open-raise to 4000. I steal the blinds/antes

Level 12 - 1000/2000 blinds - 100 ante

blinds flying up now, and I've heard this as a complaint about pokerstars tourney, lots of play early/blinds flying up late. 1500/3000 atfter this.

I have 36,367 in chips. Avg stack is 29.5K. I am 58th out of 187. I expect a ton to go out this level, and with BB at 2000 I'm certainly not safe myself.

84o, BB, folds - AJ/KK all in, AJ knocks out KK.

Table Change

I skip my SB, heh.

lazarus_gs across the table has 56K. texasvanman two to my right has 67K. I'm 3rd after them. 4 other stacks in the high 20s/low 30s though, we're very close.

95o, cutoff, folds
J7s, cutoff-1, folds
42o, MP, folds
K8o, UTG+2, folds

69 out of 169 left. 3 hour break + 1500/3000 blinds soon. AK vs AQ all in. AQ hits a flush.

J5o, UTG+1, folds
A5s, UTG - another hand I don't know about. UTG, table has gotten very agressive. I don't like this enough UTG, despite how fast the money disappears now. good thing too. raise to 6000/45K all in behind me. 23K stack thinks down to 30 seconds on time bank, folds. 71K stack thinks for a good 15-20 seconds, folds. 50K all in pot. AQ vs 99. AQ hits, 99 busts. lazarus_gs has 67K now.

a 43K stack is moved into the empty spot.

QJo, BB - fold to 20K all in.

Decision
99 in the small blind - The big stack at the table(75K) raises to 11K... I am a coin flip at best, right? I let this one go and wonder if tht's too weak.

87o, button, folds
T3o, cutoff, folds
J8o, MP, folds

this should take us up to the break.

Level 13 - 1500/3000 blinds - 150 antes

Well, I had one hand I could have played, but decided I wasn't ready to risk it all against a giant stack that would almost certainly call my all-in. As a result, I blinded away 6K in the level.

At the break, I have 30,167 in chips. The average stack skyrocketed to 38336. I sit in 85th place out of 144. I have 10x the big blind. Any pot I play after the break will basically pot commit me. I am in no position(nor do I have any desire) right now to try to limp into the money. I would like to make a move that gives me a chance to get deeper into the money if I make it. I probably won't seriously worry about cashing until there's 110 left. At least that's what I'm telling myself. We'll see what happens.

Here we go.

42o, MP, folds
97o, UTG+2, folds

Key Hand
A6s, UTG+1, I open-raise to 9000. I'm re-raised all in by a 17K stack. All in over that by a 20K stack. Called by the monster stack. Yeah. I'll fold. AJs vs TT vs 77. 77 hits a four-flush to win. (that's the monster stack).

Table Change

I drop to 20K with that loss.

I move to a table of a few stacks my size and a few bigger stacks... I no nothing about any of these, I just know I need to make some big gains pretty badly.

105th out of 128 remaining.

Q7o, MP, folds
54o, UTG+1, folds

5800 in the pot before the action starts. Most definitely all in/fold time

Q5o, UTG

Key Hand
JJ, BB - SOMEONE TRY TO STEAL PLEASE(with TT please)

BOOOOOOO, I win the blinds, folded around.

Key Hand
AQs, SB - folded to me, I open-raise to 9000. Why not go all in? I really don't know, I probably should, huh? Either way, i win the blinds.

26K. 88th out of 122.

K8o, button, folds to a raise.
84o, cutoff, folds
Q7o, cutoff-1, folds
Q7o, MP, folds
KTo, MP, folds (all-in this? baaaad news if anything has something worth calling) 66 vs 77 vs 44 all in. a 6 hits the flop. short stack busted.

J8o, UTG+1, folds

2 minutes til the blinds skyrocket again.

64o, UTG, folds

Q2s, BB - freeflop? ooo, 3 way free flop. COME ON FLUSH. Oh well. I fold to a 963 flop.
94o, SB, folds

Level 14 - 2000/4000 blinds - 200 antes

i have 21K in chips. 98th out of 117. Two great hands w/ no action kept me alive last time. I need good hands w/ some action this time(or a lot of luck).

87s, cutoff, folds

MAXPOWER29 goes from 40K to bust with JJ, then TT on consecutive hands. Losing to KQ and AK, two coin flip losses. Oof.

J9o, cutoff-1, folds

And now there's 113 left. I am 94th out of 113. I can maybe fold into the money but I'll be crippled. I still have to go if I get a hand to play.

T4o, MP, folds
J3o, UTG+1, folds
T4o, UTG, folds two limp, one goes all in for 12K. This has the potential to get interesting. oh well. One folds. Oof. AA for short stack, KK for big one. No king and short stack is 35K stack now(still short heh).

come on, AA in the BB for me plz.

72s, BB, folds big stack raises 8000, AA from last hand all in for 35K. big calls. QQ vs AQ. no A for the big stack, he's hurt now.

K4s, SB - rare 5-way pot here, I limp with this. I wish I woulda hit too. Oh well. J96 flop. free turn, jack. now i fold to a bet.

very very crippled. 11.5K left. I am 103rd out of 108

Key Hand
K6s on the button. It's folded to me. Neither of the blinds are massive stacks. I decide to push all in here. I'm the 5th smallest stack in the tourney right now. I'm called by the big blind. He only had to call about 7500 more, he only had 35K though, that was reasonably signifigant. He has Q9s, same suit as me. Flop comes 99x. I am dead. 108th.

top 99 pay, I go out 108th.

Ok, congrats to anyone who read all that. That is a shitload. 3+ hours of writing.

I stay long enough to see how long it took to make the money. With 101 left I would have been in my big blind. on my SB they would have gone hand to hand. Assuming I had just folded my way around, that's 7600. I would have been down to $4000 in chips.

Now, my thinking at this second, sitting here watching 9 hands go by as we get into the money, is that I made a terrible, terrible raise all-in. Sure it was folded to the button, but 11K wasn't enough to garner any respect for my raise. I got called by a guy who only had 3x more than me, and even though I was a favorite, it wasn't even 60/40.

I want to say I made the best play that gave me the best chance to make it further up into the money. But at the moment I just feel a little sick that I played for 3 hours 45 minutes and came away with nothing, 8 out of the money.

And they finally make the money. had I literally folded my way in, i'd be the single shortest stack in the tourney. Of course, who knows, I might have gotten a better hand to push with.

Well, that's a wrap. Again, comments are appreciated, not only on the last hand but anything along the way. I think I made signifigantly fewer mistakes in this tournament than I did in the first one.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:50 AM   #194
RGunner
High School JV

Yea, they have those 11+Rebuy 20k Guaranteed tourneys every night... Most of the time if I am free I join up in them...The first hour is the least skillful hour of any tournament ever, all you do is try to build your stack as high as possible before the break, most I have had is 15K, then you are set for after the break where you actually have to play. Best I've gotten is 13th in one of these, you have to have a lot of luck to do real well in these though, nice job, tough going out so close to the money though.
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:27 AM   #195
Radii
Head Coach

Thanks for the comments RGunner. How do you play the first hour? Do you ever rebuy if you bust? Or do you just hope for a great hand against some people rebuying multiple times to double you up?

What do you think about that first hand I played, going all in on top pair on the very first hand... it made sense to me at the time and I was prepared to rebuy, but I wonder what those that play rebuy tourneys like this more often would do.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:20 AM   #196
RGunner
High School JV

I rebuy most of the time, but only rebuy alot if you are confident that you can make it to the money area and make up the money you put into the tournament...
The last 5 of these I have done I have spent at least 50+ on, I've made it to the money and made that much up every time so I am confident in myself.. As for the first hand play I think you played it well, I would have done the same in your situation, just got unlucky with the fours.
I've seen people spend over 200 bucks on this tourney and not even place in the money, that must be hard but I guess if you got the bankroll to do it without it hurting you, then more power to you..As for more the most I've spent on one of these was 70 bucks, and it was the one I ended up getting 13th in and winning almost 300 bucks so it was a good profit.
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 12:02 PM   #197
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Nice writeup. Sorry you didn't end in the money but you played well getting up to the end. I haven't ever played a rebuy tourney so that some of this with a grain of salt.

Quote:
A9s, UTG+1, UTG limps and I hope to create a limping chain-reaction. Doesn't work. All-in for 1500 from someone behind me and I can't call 1500 more. fold that pre-flop? raise it? Anyone call the all in? Would leave me w/ 5200 if I lost.

I don't think that you could call the all in here. There was a lot of limping going on and you had a hand that would have played well multiway so I think limping/folding made sense.

Quote:
33, UTG+1 - I open-raise to 600. A good enough sized stack calls on the button. I try to bet half the pot on the flop, and he goes all-in on me. I fold and am left with 6300 in chips. I don't like 33. Too early to try this?

I don't like playing really low pairs from early position. If you are though you should raise and once you were heads up I think it was the right play to take a stab at the pot.

Quote:
AKo, cutoff - one limp, I raise to 800 and get called. Flop comes QTT, and we both check. Turn is a queen. If he has a small pocket pair he won't call anything, if he has better he'll come over me like crazy... I check. River a 4, we check and he shows me pocket 8s. Shoudl I be more agressive there?

With your good kicker I think betting on the turn makes sense. He could have a straight draw or if he does hit his pocket pair on the river you could lose a lot of chips. It's doubtful that he would play back at you with the board the way it was.

Quote:
22, cutoff-1 - 2 limp before me and I try to limp too. I get a 5-way flop, and it's pretty friendly, 345... we check it around. Now... a 6 hits the turn. I check. The river is a 3, pairing the board. marcoray bets 2400. Underbetting the pot a lot. How do I do this? If I make a signifigant raise he can cripple me if he has a 7. I decide to just call, and I win a 9K pot with my low straight. With 4 limpers and me, does anyone play this harder?

With him under betting the pot I might have just called as well. Certainly could have been trying to trap you into raising there. I am a bit curious why you didn't bet on the flop or turn. Lot's of players and you might have been able to thin the field.

Quote:
Now, my thinking at this second, sitting here watching 9 hands go by as we get into the money, is that I made a terrible, terrible raise all-in. Sure it was folded to the button, but 11K wasn't enough to garner any respect for my raise. I got called by a guy who only had 3x more than me, and even though I was a favorite, it wasn't even 60/40.

The best you probably could have hoped for was to win the blinds with that all in. While the blinds were high a steal there probably wouldn't have helped your chances of getting to the second level of the money. I think you were right to not go into a shell and just try to fold to the money but you probably needed a better hand to hope for a double up and then make some noise. If that hand doesn't appear then take the low level money. Getting in the money is a nice feeling but $51 from the $30 you put in for several hours of work isn't what you should be shooting for. Trying for the big money at the final table makes a lot of sense when you find yourself in that same position next time. You played really well getting to that point though and soon you could become a factor in these MMT.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:55 PM   #198
Radii
Head Coach

I am running terrible terrible terrible in ring games right now. Down about $300 in about 850 hands.

AA 1 time, lost $16
AKs 0 times
AKo 8 times, lost $38 (won twice)

AQo 7 times, lost $67 (running up against AK once, and losing two pair to a flush).

KK 3 times, lost $34 (won blinds/lost big twice)
QQ 3 times, lost all 3, lost $40

And so on. So basically I'm signifigantly down to begin the month. Winning at intercasino helped, and the $100 party bonus will help. Hopefully the weekend action will be as good as usual and I can clean up there.

250 more raked hands til I finish off the bonus.

I've noticed a pattern of me losing when I play between 4:30-7pm in the ring games, and winning mainly on nights and weekends. I have seen discussions on this elsewhere and wonder if there is really something to the signifigant difference in the level of play between 6pm and 10pm on a week night? Or maybe a combo of bad cards and not playing my best is causing it and I shouldn't look for excuses

Hopefully I can start playing my way out of this after dinner tonight.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:11 PM   #199
Alf
Pro Starter

Other players drink at nights and week-ends whereas they don't between 4.30 & 7. At least, that's an explanation.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:53 PM   #200
hoopsguy
General Manager

Don't know if i have chimed in on this thread before, but I have really enjoyed reading your "dynasty". It has helped me take a look at some of my play and be a little more patient in tournament play.

On a related note, I qualified on AP tonight for a WSOP qualifier (9+1 to get into $100 entry tourney) later this month. I'm a little worried because it falls on the same day as my fantasy football tournament ... might need to recruit a pinch-hitter for poker or drafting ... decisions, decisions.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote