Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #151
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
Kind of funny seeing McNabb say he didn't know there were ties in the NFL, and being completely serious.

I thought it was more sad than funny actually.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #152
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I'm laughing at you. There's no way the Giants still wouldn't be rolling if he suddenly tore an ACL. Not that he's had a bad year, but the fact that his backups are doing well shows the OL is their real engine.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Do you even watch Giants games? Find the first play of the game today when he bounced into the D line then ran outside for a 25 yard gain against the best run D in the league.

What makes Jacobs amazing has nothing to do with the O-line, it's what he does after he gets past the line, he turns 3 yard gains into 10 yard gains by running people over.

You can make the argument that just about any great back is the product of his line, you think Emmit Smith puts up the numbers he did not playing behind that line?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #153
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
After watching GMen and Carolina today, I think this would be a fantastic game come NFC Title Game time I love how they both run the ball, and play physical D. Carolina looked flat today but found a way to win, which is what good teams do.

The only thing standing in Carolinas way is Delhomme was awful the last two weeks. If he even gets back to a game management role, and lets Smith makes plays after the catch the Panthers will do damage.

The same Carolina team that has struggles to beat the Raiders and Lions?

It would be fantastic for Giants fans, since the game would be over by halftime.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #154
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The same Carolina team that has struggles to beat the Raiders and Lions?

It would be fantastic for Giants fans, since the game would be over by halftime.

Someone might need to step back into the realm of reality where anyone can win in any given week Declaring that the giants playing against an 8-2 team for the NFC title would be over by halftime when we're only in week 11 is much worse than my week 2 hyperbole stating that Carolina would miss the playoffs.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #155
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Someone might need to step back into the realm of reality where anyone can win in any given week Declaring that the giants playing against an 8-2 team for the NFC title would be over by halftime when we're only in week 11 is much worse than my week 2 hyperbole stating that Carolina would miss the playoffs.

I realize anyone can lose on a given week, but the Panthers have looked horrible in beating 2 really bad teams and the Giants are by far the best team in the NFC
Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #156
Radii
Head Coach

*marks Dec 21 on his calendar*
Old 11-16-2008, 10:56 PM   #157
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
*marks Dec 21 on his calendar*

that game may not matter, but It will be fun watching David Carr tear shit up
Old 11-17-2008, 12:04 AM   #158
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
GIANTS GIANTS GIANTS GIANTS GIANTS
I see.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:13 AM   #159
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
dola- People may laugh at me, but Brandon Jacobs should start getting some serious MVP consideration.

10 games in, 11 TD, an 900 rushing yards, all the while sharing the load for a 9-1 team.

I just resisted the urge to change the thread title to NFL Week 11(Brandon Jacobs is the NFL MVP?)

Besides, he's going to have to unseat Rodgers anyways.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:19 AM   #160
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And i have no clue which play was a forward lateral in the Pittsburgh game. That was some fucked up reffing.

The only thing I'd say there might be a call against is no advancing a fumble vs Polamalu, maybe. If it was illegal or something for a defensive player to bat a ball that far towards their endzone. Although that's legal i guess.

Who knows, Simms and Nance are both dummies anyways.

Last edited by stevew : 11-17-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:26 AM   #161
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
And i have no clue which play was a forward lateral in the Pittsburgh game. That was some fucked up reffing.

The only thing I'd say there might be a call against is no advancing a fumble vs Polamalu, maybe. If it was illegal or something for a defensive player to bat a ball that far towards their endzone. Although that's legal i guess.

Who knows, Simms and Nance are both dummies anyways.

I never saw anything even close to a forward lateral. I'm in fantasy league using IDP and I'm going up against Polamalu this week. The ruling on that play could very well decide who wins this week. At this point, the feed we're using isn't even giving Polamalu a fumble recovery, much less a forced fumble or of course a TD, I don't know if that's the official final scoring or if that may still be updated, but the only way that could happen is if the official ruling ends up being an illegal forward pass penalty that ends up ending the play at that point. I have no idea, and I care way more than I should given that it doesn't change the outcome of the game in any way

Last edited by Radii : 11-17-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:29 AM   #162
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Steelers-Chargers Chaos Rattles Las Vegas - The Fifth Down - Sports - Pro Football - New York Times Blog

11-10 is the final, and there are a LOT of unhappy bettors on the Steelers in Vegas right now. Wonder if the NFL is investigating the refs for ties to gambling?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #163
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The only way it would make sense is if the pass that Polamalu knocked down was a forward pass. Because then it would be an incomplete pass and the end of the play. I didn't see a replay of it, but I don't remember it being close to a forward pass.

I say it's time for a gambling investigation.

edit: foz beat me to it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 11-17-2008 at 12:36 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:45 AM   #164
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yahoo! Sports

Referee says officials errantly voided Steelers TD

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer 15 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH (AP)—The first 11-10 game in NFL history shouldn’t have ended that way, referee Scott Green said after a last-minute touchdown was errantly taken away from the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday.

The officiating mistake didn’t affect the outcome since the Steelers still would have won, but the touchdown would have changed the score to 17-10—or, more likely, 18-10, since the teams were lined up for an extra-point try that was never attempted.

On first-and-10 from San Diego’s 21 with 5 seconds remaining, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers threw a short pass to LaDainian Tomlinson over the middle for 3 yards. Tomlinson turned and made a handoff-type lateral to wide receiver Chris Chambers, who attempted to pitch the ball to a teammate only to have safety Troy Polamalu scoop it up and score from the 12.

Both teams left the field on what looked to be a game-ending play, but were called back by the officials for the extra-point attempt. At that point, the replay official called for a review.

After watching the play, Green initially announced the ruling on the field was upheld and the touchdown counted. But the officiating crew huddled again before the extra-point attempt and changed the call, deciding that an illegal forward pass should have ended the play.

Green, in a postgame interview with a pool reporter, said that call was errant—even though his explanation for the confusion was almost as confusing as the play itself.

“We should have let the play go through in the end, yes,” Green said. “It was misinterpreted that instead of killing the play, we should have let the play go through.”

Green said the confusion occurred because there was a misunderstanding about which lateral was in question.

“The first pass was the one that was illegal, but it only kills the play if it hits the ground,” Green said. “That was incorrect to have killed it at that point. The ruling should have let the play go on. That’s just the way that it played out. We believe the second pass was legal.”

Green was asked why, since the ball didn’t hit the ground during any of the tossing, the officials decided after huddling that the play should have ended.

“We didn’t kill it on the field,” Green said. “After (the) discussion we decided … there was some confusion over which pass we were talking about and it was decided that it was the second pass that was illegal that did hit the ground and therefore we killed the play there.”

However, the officials realized afterward they erred.

“I know,” Green said. “The rule was misinterpreted.”

Asked about the officiating—the Steelers drew 115 yards in penalties to the Chargers’ 5—Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin declined to comment.

“No, I have never seen a game ended with 13-to-1 in penalties, but I am not answering questions about the officiating,” Tomlin said.

The call affected betting on the game since the Steelers were 5-point favorites and would have covered if the touchdown counted.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:04 AM   #165
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't think penalty distribution is a big deal, but when every wide angle shot seemingly shows James Harrison hooked, tackled, or facemasked, you really gotta wonder why they didn't throw at least on flag on the Chargers for that. Maybe my definition of holding is too much by the book or something.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #166
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I do so heart Mike Brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brown, Guaranteed Future NFL Coach
"All I can tell you is that, obviously, our defense isn't what it used to be," Brown said. "Everyone wants it to be what it used to be, and it's not that. It's all about performance, and we haven't been performing well. Wherever we're ranked, that's where we deserve to be ranked, know what I'm saying?

"It is what it is. Once we come to grips that our defense isn't what it's supposed to be, we'll all be better off."

"Our perception is that we have a good defense," Brown said. "The reality is we don't."
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #167
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Do you even watch Giants games? Find the first play of the game today when he bounced into the D line then ran outside for a 25 yard gain against the best run D in the league.

What makes Jacobs amazing has nothing to do with the O-line, it's what he does after he gets past the line, he turns 3 yard gains into 10 yard gains by running people over.

You can make the argument that just about any great back is the product of his line, you think Emmit Smith puts up the numbers he did not playing behind that line?

I've seen Jacobs play, as well as their other RB's. Even though I agree he's their best running back and he's having a good year, he's not the difference between the Giants being 9-1 and 5-5. Maybe I don't understand what you use as criteria for being an MVP.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #168
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Going into the week I was still flip-dlopping between Eli Manning and David Garrard, but in retrospect, picking up Shaun Hill to start for my fantasy team was a no-brainer decission. I'm pretty happy I made that decission afterall.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #169
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Maybe I don't understand what you use as criteria for being an MVP.

Among the league leaders in catergories relevant to his position- check

has the ability to change a game on his own- check

Makes plays with the ball no other player in the league can make- check

Irreplaceable if he goes down- check

Leader on a winning team- check
Old 11-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #170
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Right now Kurt Warner is the MVP, and I'd argue that it's close to hands-down.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #171
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Right now Kurt Warner is the MVP, and I'd argue that it's close to hands-down.

I don't know that it is hands down.. Warner isn't bounds ahead of other QBs in the league as far as his stats go.. But he has been statistically the best QB so far this season, and has led a team that is often thought for dead into a good position to make the playoffs. The biggest reason that he is probably likely to win MVP though is because he is just a great story for the media and fans.

Barring a collapse, I don't really see anyone else winning the MVP over him. It usually goes to a QB unless a running back has a run away year (1700+ yards, etc or in Marshall Faulk's case an insane number of all purpose yards).

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #172
Butter
Coordinator

Crazy out of his mind with homerism - check
Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #173
miked
College Starter

Quote:

Well, maybe he'll get the Derek Jeter award by some of those number-less metrics.

He also only accounts for 50% of his team's rushing yards, so he's not really making plays with the ball no other player on his TEAM can make. He's apparently not that irreplaceable, and his leadership role is relatively unknown. Take him out, and the Giants may still well be 6-4 at worse and still in the hunt. Oh, and he has 5 catches so far all season. Sub Leinart for Warner and the Cards are probably with the rest of their division.

He's good, but let's not let fandom get in the way of numbers.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #174
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Kurt Warner:
105.5 rating, 71% compl, 3,155 yards, 20 TDs, 7 INT

Next best rated QB: Rivers
100.8 rating, 64.5% compl, 2,513 yards, 21 TDs, 10 INT

Best combo of other similar QBs (300 attempts, 10 TDs):
69.8% compl (Favre), 3,251 yards (Brees), 21 TDs (Rivers), 6 INT (Rodgers)

Warner is with the margin for error with the "Super QB" above. But the best reason for Warner to be in the lead for MVP?
Arizona is ranked 29th in the NFL in rushing yards per game (86.9) and dead last in yards per carry (3.4). So, Arizona is averaging 29 points per game (2nd in the NFL) with virtually no rushing game at all. The other top scoring teams (Giants, Jets, Packers) have much more balance.

Last edited by Arles : 11-17-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #175
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Crazy out of his mind with homerism - check

I fully admit to this
Old 11-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #176
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

He also only accounts for 50% of his team's rushing yards, so he's not really making plays with the ball no other player on his TEAM can make. He's apparently not that irreplaceable, and his leadership role is relatively unknown. Take him out, and the Giants may still well be 6-4 at worse and still in the hunt.

He only accounts for 50% because he has sat out alot of 4th quarter blow outs this season. And no one else on his team can turn a 3 yard run into an 11 yard run by running over linebackers and carrying them an additional 5-7 yards. No one in the league does that.

I realize he isn't a realistic candidate but he doesn't get any pub and he deserves it.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #177
Radii
Head Coach

Relatively recent RBs to win the MVP:

2006 - Tomlinson - 1815 rushing yards, 28 rushing TDs, 56 rec, 508 yards, 3 rec TD

2005 - Alexander - 1880 rushing yards, 27 rushing TDs

2000 - Faulk - 1359 rushing yards, 18 rushing TD, 81 rec, 830 rec yards, 8 rec TD

1998 - Davis - 2008 rushing yards, 21 rushing TD

1993 - Smith - 1486 rushing yards, 9 rushing TD, 57 rec, 414 rec yards, 1 rec TD *** led the league in rushing despite only playing 14 games

RBs in the last decade to win the MVP have to put up ridiculous numbers, either crazy yardage, tons of receiving yards, or record setting TD numbers. Jacobs doesn't have any of that.

Jacobs is on pace for 1406 yards and 18 TD and has only caught 8 passes so far this season, a solid season, but he's 4th in the league in rushing, and his importance to his team cannot be reasonably considered to be anywhere near that of Kurt Warner leading the Arizona freaking Cardinals to a division title.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #178
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

Nice to see that you could put your homerism aside long enough to make a case for Michael Turner.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #179
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
I realize he isn't a realistic candidate but he doesn't get any pub and he deserves it.

You're right. We definitely don't hear enough about the top running back on the Super Bowl champs & top team in the NFC.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #180
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
You're right. We definitely don't hear enough about the top running back on the Super Bowl champs & top team in the NFL.

fixed
Old 11-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #181
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
fixed

Every year there is one team that just makes me want to root against them in the playoffs.. It used to be the 49ers, then the cowboys then other various teams at times including green bay, Indy and of course last year it was good to root against New England.

I think this year I will be rooting against the Giants in the playoff. I don't care who beats them as long as they lose.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #182
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like the Monday night game should be entertaining to watch in Buffalo tonight. 24 inches of snow on the ground with another 6 inches expected during the game this evening. I'll sit in my 70 degree climate controlled living room and enjoy every moment of it.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #183
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ohhh....I love snow in HD.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #184
Autumn
Head Coach

Maybe point a fan at you so you get a little taste of their experience.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #185
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Maybe point a fan at you so you get a little taste of their experience.

I'll crack a window. It's supposed to be 25 degrees tonight in KC.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #186
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Ohhh....I love snow in HD.

Are you related to Lawrence Taylor?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #187
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Looks like the Monday night game should be entertaining to watch in Buffalo tonight. 24 inches of snow on the ground with another 6 inches expected during the game this evening. I'll sit in my 70 degree climate controlled living room and enjoy every moment of it.

sounds awesome.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #188
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Donovan McNabb didn't know that NFL games could end in ties - Shutdown Corn... - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
Old 11-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #189
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #190
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Can anyone else confirm or deny?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #191
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Can anyone else confirm or deny?

What, you don't trust him?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #192
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Assuming trends continue, Warner should win the MVP and get almost all of the first place votes.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #193
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

I'd prefer to get a weather report from someone slightly closer than Missouri, especially since the only reason I care is for gambling purposes.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #194
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Is it wrong that I checked the Trib's website a bajillion times today in the miniscule hope I'd see "Lovie Fired"?

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 11-17-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #195
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'd prefer to get a weather report from someone slightly closer than Missouri, especially since the only reason I care is for gambling purposes.

Buffalo, New York (14201) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #196
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

you know you can check the weather for anywhere on the interwebs.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #197
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
you know you can check the weather for anywhere on the interwebs.
What worse, Donovan McNabb not knowing NFL games could end in ties or Fighter of Foo not knowing about weather reports?
Quote:
"Maybe a lot of the guys haven't been in the league seven years," cornerback Sheldon Brown said, "but I know the rules."
Told his quarterback didn't know the rule, Mornhinweg said: "Yeah, um, yeah, but, uh, I don't know what to say on that one."
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #198
Galaxy
Coordinator

Man...This game is tough as a Bills fan.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-17-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #199
DeToxRox
Head Coach

3 INT's from Edwards in the first quarter. Unreal.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #200
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
3 INT's from Edwards in the first quarter. Unreal.

I don't get where he is throwing them. The first one I can understand, but jeez. Of course, Dick Jauron is the worst coach in the world.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote