Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #151
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
what is the "red ring"

Where the lights around your power button on the 360 all flash red and your 360 shuts itself off in the middle of a game.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #152
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Spleen1015

Fatigue plays a big part on making shots.

And also are you calling your offensive plays and mixing it up when you play?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #153
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Talk about a game where I could just kick myself. It was a fast paced high offense game, and I managed to have a 92-89 lead with a few seconds left. I fouled a 3 point shooter

He made them all. I had 3.5 seconds left. I was trying to set up a great last second shot and ended up having a 5 second turnover. Oops. At least, we played good defense and had them miss the last shot.

I can laugh about it since I won 102-98 in OT.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #154
MJ4H
Coordinator

Just ordered the PS2 version online from Best Buy. Had a gift card for $20 I needed to use. Hopefully it will be here this week. I've been excited about getting this game for a while.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #155
Phototropic
Mascot

I had a great game last night. After starting 6 of 23, I fell behind as much as 18 points but rallied back for an 83-77 win.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #156
Radii
Head Coach

I just picked this up for PS2. I'm re-reading through the thread now, but I'm curious what sliders and general settings/changes to the defaults people have settled into. Is there one difficulty level that plays best?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #157
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I just picked this up for PS2. I'm re-reading through the thread now, but I'm curious what sliders and general settings/changes to the defaults people have settled into. Is there one difficulty level that plays best?

From what I've read, the PS2 version is different (more like last year than the 360 version,) so I doubt my settings would work the best but I'm using all shooting down 1 click for my team, 2 clicks for the CPU. I've turned all fouls up to 90 except for blocking which I have at 75. I haven't had to chance much else. I'm using the 3rd of 5 difficulty levels (All conference I think?)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-15-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:49 PM   #158
MJ4H
Coordinator

Best Buy says mine is "backordered." This is stupid. They say it probably won't be here before Christmas. Lame. I'll probably cancel it and just drive down there and pick it up.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:20 PM   #159
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Best Buy says mine is "backordered." This is stupid. They say it probably won't be here before Christmas. Lame. I'll probably cancel it and just drive down there and pick it up.

The local best buy here hadn't received it yet either, the salesman I talked to said it was supposed to be in Tuesday and he doesn't know what's up. They had copies at Gamestop.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:44 PM   #160
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
The local best buy here hadn't received it yet either, the salesman I talked to said it was supposed to be in Tuesday and he doesn't know what's up. They had copies at Gamestop.

sigh. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #161
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
From what I've read, the PS2 version is different (more like last year than the 360 version,) so I doubt my settings would work the best but I'm using all shooting down 1 click for my team, 2 clicks for the CPU. I've turned all fouls up to 90 except for blocking which I have at 75. I haven't had to chance much else. I'm using the 3rd of 5 difficulty levels (All conference I think?)

Yeah, I tried this out and once I stopped trying to fast break all the time(leading to *tons* of turnovers) I think I can blow anyone out with the PS2 version at these settings, time to go do some research on it, thanks though!
Old 12-23-2006, 08:52 PM   #162
Radii
Head Coach

damn, reading reviews on this and looking at the operation sports forums almost has me thinking about buying an xbox 360 just for this game.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:46 PM   #163
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
damn, reading reviews on this and looking at the operation sports forums almost has me thinking about buying an xbox 360 just for this game.

Not that I'm trying to sway you, but I'm still playing this whenever I get free time and absolutely loving it. Got in a couple of good games today. I'm in my 2nd season and am 6-10 but I got a Freshman PF during my first year who has some potential and some size (6'9" 248) and I can't wait to see what we can do once he develops some post ability. In my 2nd season, I just got my first 2 star SG to commit as well, so we'll have some better outside shooters helping him out next year.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-23-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #164
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ugh... sounds really disappointing that they basically didn't touch the PS2 version at all. The more I hear about 2k7 sports, the less I like of them as a company. It would have taken what... a couple of days work to port over the Team Unity and Momentum features from the 360 version.

Can somebody with the PS2 version confirm for me whether they fixed the bug with all foreign recruits having American names? If they were too lazy to even do that, I probably won't bother buying it at all.

Unless you guys who have the PS2 version have noticed any subtle changes that the reviewers might have missed? What I'm hearing from Gamespot and IGN is that the game is basically exactly the same.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:54 AM   #165
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Ugh... sounds really disappointing that they basically didn't touch the PS2 version at all. The more I hear about 2k7 sports, the less I like of them as a company. It would have taken what... a couple of days work to port over the Team Unity and Momentum features from the 360 version.

Can somebody with the PS2 version confirm for me whether they fixed the bug with all foreign recruits having American names? If they were too lazy to even do that, I probably won't bother buying it at all.

Unless you guys who have the PS2 version have noticed any subtle changes that the reviewers might have missed? What I'm hearing from Gamespot and IGN is that the game is basically exactly the same.

The more I read comments from their developers on various places, the more it seems like they are doing minimal work on PS2 and Xbox versions of their games, with almost all of their efforts going towards advancing the games on the 360 and PS3.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:11 AM   #166
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I figured that and that is their right (and probably a solid business model to boot). But there is a big difference in minimal work and no work at all. Of course I haven't played it yet, but the general consensus seems to be that they didn't touch anything except updating the rosters and putting in an "AI update" which doesn't seem to have updated anything at all.

What I object to is a company bending current gen customers over the table and shafting them by releasing a "new" game which doesn't show any signs of actually being touched or worked on at all - at least according to the two game review sites I actually trust.

Like I say, I'm hoping someone on here can come and prove me wrong, tell me that this or that feature is better or these bugs have been fixed, because then it's a must buy game for me.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:32 AM   #167
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah, I figured that and that is their right (and probably a solid business model to boot). But there is a big difference in minimal work and no work at all. Of course I haven't played it yet, but the general consensus seems to be that they didn't touch anything except updating the rosters and putting in an "AI update" which doesn't seem to have updated anything at all.

What I object to is a company bending current gen customers over the table and shafting them by releasing a "new" game which doesn't show any signs of actually being touched or worked on at all - at least according to the two game review sites I actually trust.

Like I say, I'm hoping someone on here can come and prove me wrong, tell me that this or that feature is better or these bugs have been fixed, because then it's a must buy game for me.

I haven't played the ps2 game and if it really is basically just a roster update then maybe they shouldn't even release a ps2 version. Having said that I believe the game sells for $19.99 and in the "old days" roster disks for games like Lance Haffner Baseball or card sets for Strat O Matic would cost in the neighborhood of $20 (in 1980's or 90's dollars). Would I personally find it to be worth the money? No, but some might. Like you I'd read the reviews and probably pass on the game. I would also recognize that 2k is not doing this to spite me but to try to win in the next gen. And that sooner or later I'd own either a 360 or ps3 and then be able to take advantage of the work they are currently doing.

I do think your are right that it is a solid business model. The idea of putting most of their effort into the next gen games is a good one if they are to ever overtake EA.

disclaimer: This post is written by a 360\ps3 owner who really has no way of
truly feeling your pain or frustration
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #168
bhlloy
Coordinator

One problem - they can't use real players. So it's not even a true roster update
Old 12-24-2006, 03:26 PM   #169
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Not that I'm trying to sway you, but I'm still playing this whenever I get free time and absolutely loving it. Got in a couple of good games today. I'm in my 2nd season and am 6-10 but I got a Freshman PF during my first year who has some potential and some size (6'9" 248) and I can't wait to see what we can do once he develops some post ability. In my 2nd season, I just got my first 2 star SG to commit as well, so we'll have some better outside shooters helping him out next year.

I don't mind being swayed! I've been very busy and stressed over the idea of moving and getting out of my old house, but that is all done by New Years and I may well buy a 360 in early January

The 2K5 version of this game got more play from me than pretty much any console game ever, I really want to see if 2k7 on the 360 can recapture that.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:43 PM   #170
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Playing a game right now, had a very interesting start to it:

I almost never make 4 point plays. I have 2 really good 3 point shooters, but one is terrible defensively and only plays a bit off the bench. Anyway, my one good 3 point shooter has made my first 3 shots and they have all been 4 point plays! I'm playing a team that is really size deprived, so I'm tossing it into my Frosh PF that I mentioned earlier. Inevitably, they have to double team him to stop him from pushing the 6'6 230 guy that is trying to guard him. I have him throw it to my PG or SF who quickly passes it to the SG who is draining 3's and getting nailed by a player chasing him as he releases. He had been in a 6 for 31 behind the arc slump in the last few games, so it is a very nice start for him.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #171
Radii
Head Coach

For anyone that has the Xbox or PS2 versions, btw, I'm using these sliders:

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...d.php?t=193320

and have had a couple of good games with them, losing with NC A&T to a better Dayton team and playing a close game against an evenly rated team. The sliders are xbox specific but I've seen a few posts about people being happy with them on PS2 as well.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:52 PM   #172
bhlloy
Coordinator

Radii - did you play 2K6 and if so, have you noticed any difference between the two games at all?
Old 12-24-2006, 08:17 PM   #173
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Radii - did you play 2K6 and if so, have you noticed any difference between the two games at all?

I never really got into 2K6 much at all, I'm not sure why. I'm also not sure it was really the game itself but other games I was playing or other things I had going on when I got it. From what I've seen in reviews, the only improvements between the two are in number of fight songs and other stuff I could care less about
Old 12-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #174
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Opening up my copy tomorrow. goody!
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #175
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
One problem - they can't use real players. So it's not even a true roster update

Not sure about ps2 in 2k7 but on the 360 the players are real just not named. That is number, height, weight, and ratings are based on the real players. That is Oden is on Ohio State but the game only uses his number and physical measurements and his ratings make him an 88 IIRC.

I know this because I don't have the kit to import the real names so typed in the whole Big Ten since I play as Iowa. Every player's height and weight matched up, the only thing that is not correct on the player card is their hometown. Again IIRC this was true in v 2k5 on the ps2 (I did not buy 2k6).
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:16 PM   #176
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

This game is underneath the tree for me as well. I am hoping to get XBox live soon so I can whip up on some folks.

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 12-24-2006 at 09:57 PM.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #177
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Ugh. I just got waxed at home by Northwestern State. I had a 38-36 halftime lead, and then they started pressing me. I couldn't handle the press, apparently. I ended up turning the ball over 21 times in the game, my star SG couldn't hit any baskets, and we ended up losing 102-85. Now we travel to Oxford to play Ole Miss. Oh, this should be good.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:43 AM   #178
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm really jaleous of not being able to play this game in my 360 as it's region locked to USA. I'm enjoying NBA2k7 a lot, but i prefer the shorter NCAA season than to play 80+ games in the NBA per season that could take me a month in real time.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:29 PM   #179
Recoil
High School Varsity

My girlfriend got this for me for Christmas. Hah. She'll regret this one.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:06 AM   #180
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Wow - played this all day yesterday and I may actually be geting better (unlike last year's game). I made my father watch a little and he said he likes the graphics better in NCAA 2007 (which I agree), but what you can't see when someone else plays is just how much fun this game is.

There's nothing more satisfying then getting a break-away and slamming the ball home . Fun game, and I couldn't wait for the kids to go to bed to get some time to play .
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #181
timmyw3
H.S. Freshman Team

Is anyone using any sliders on this? What level seems to provide the best gameplay?
timmyw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #182
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyw3 View Post
Is anyone using any sliders on this? What level seems to provide the best gameplay?

For the 360 version, I'm using:

Fouls all up to 100 except for Blocking which is at 75.

CPU shooting sliders all at -2 (48.) Player shooting sliders all at -1 of default (49.) CPU rebounding (offensive and defensive) at 45. Player rebounding at 55 for both. I'm playing All Conference which is the 3rd of 5 difficulty levels. I'm getting mostly realistic results that are quite enjoyable with a fair variety of games depending upon talent levels and how up tempo I try to play.

Oh yeah, I'm using 20 minute halves with player and game speed both at 38. When I run and gun I've scored close to 100 (and actually just broke 100 in a game) but most of my games are slower paced and end up with scores in the 60's or 70's.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-26-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:42 PM   #183
MJ4H
Coordinator

Sigh.

Game just froze on me after finishing up a win against #11 Alabama. Worst possible sin for a game.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #184
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I kicked it around yesterday and had a pretty good time with it. I was Memphis and played against Mississippi Valley State and beat them pretty good on the default settings. The only problem is going to be finding time to play this, as I got NBA2k7 and bought Gears of War today as well.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #185
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Okay, I'm messing around with the game and it's pretty fun. Especially the chant creator (F-clap-U-stomp-stomp-stomp). Anyhow, would anyone like to do a tournament?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #186
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Okay, I'm messing around with the game and it's pretty fun. Especially the chant creator (F-clap-U-stomp-stomp-stomp). Anyhow, would anyone like to do a tournament?

If they have smoothed out the problems with online play (it was choppy around release time) then I would like to play in a tournament, but my availability is limited to mostly the weekend.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #187
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
If they have smoothed out the problems with online play (it was choppy around release time) then I would like to play in a tournament, but my availability is limited to mostly the weekend.

I'd be good with only on weekends as well. Just so you guys know, I really suck at this game.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:47 PM   #188
Radii
Head Coach

I bought a 360 and college hoops 2k7 last night. I am absolutely stunned by the difference between the game on PS2 vs 360. I think I could never buy another game for my new 360 and may still get my money's worth out of the machine with this one game. I played around a bit with UNC and then started a legacy w/ Campbell like I usually do.

I'm having some issues with turnovers(committing too many and not forcing any) but I think I know. Committing them is mainly the PS2->Xbox switch. I am making a lot of passes to my SF when I mean to pass to my SG using icon passing, still getting used to the buttons. Also I haven't mastered the fact that you lead your target based on the direction you're pressing when you pass. A number of times I'm trying to back my man down in the post(pressing twoards the basket) but then want to kick it back out to an open man for a 3 pointer, but I'm still pulling hard towards the basket and end up leading my target somewhere I didn't mean to(occasionally passing it right to a defender).

Also a big change for me is that I can't just sit in a 2-3 zone anymore. I always did that b/c it was easiest for me given that some parts of the play are off the screen, but against good 3 point shooting teams they'll actually take advantage of it now and I get burned, I'll have to learn to play man to man.

I'm going to go back and read the impressions on the 360 version to see if I pick up any other pointers. I am using the all conference and sliders eaglesfan27 mentioned, scores look good so far(I've only played 4 games though).
Old 01-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #189
BigDPW
College Prospect

I too picked this game up with my new 360 a few days after christmas... I love this game!!! I suck at it... BUT I LOVE IT!!!

Until I read your post Radii I did not know that Icon Passing was also lead Passing??? I was wondering where that feature had gone all this time...

I have been playing a legacy with my NC State Wolfpack which is very fun due to our lack of talent for an ACC team this year and lack of depth... I have not been able to figure out recruiting very well so far and I may restart my legacy as I think I have over shot on targeting my recruits. I targeted a couple of local-regional 5 stars that were interested in me from the beginning and I worked myelf up to 95-100% interest but was second on their lists to MD and WVU going into the early period and they signed with them instead. Now some of my 4 star guys have already committed and I am worried I will not end up with significant talent out of this class. I have 4 schollies available and Engin Atsur (my only solid PG) is graduating and I need some size down low...

I am still playing on the default level with fouls bumped up (I know I am not very good). I would like to use the shot stick more but I keep forgetting to do that... I have always used the button for outside shots in previous games and I have very little success even hitting inside shots with the stick let alone 3s...

I too need to go back and read this thread through in order to help my game out a little...

If anyone is on XBL look for me... I would love to play a game online...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #190
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Here's a tip that it took me 15+ games to learn (and I also semi-read the manual but missed this)...

On 360: hit the right button to icon pass, then hit the right trigger to do a "lead pass"

I thought they took this button out of this version (I'm used to the NBA games) but this button makes a huge difference. I'm struggling with learning how to properly use it, since I played like 15+ games without it, but it really helps, especially on fast breaks.

That's my story...carry on
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #191
Radii
Head Coach

Those of you that dropped the speed down to 38ish... are you talking about game speed, player speed, or both?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #192
Radii
Head Coach

dola, actually paying attention and reading the thread closely I see that my question has been answered numerous times(answer: both player and game speed). Never mind me!
Old 01-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #193
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
Here's a tip that it took me 15+ games to learn (and I also semi-read the manual but missed this)...

On 360: hit the right button to icon pass, then hit the right trigger to do a "lead pass"

I thought they took this button out of this version (I'm used to the NBA games) but this button makes a huge difference. I'm struggling with learning how to properly use it, since I played like 15+ games without it, but it really helps, especially on fast breaks.

That's my story...carry on

Yeah, this one bothered me at first also, but if you go into controller options and pick controller setup C it maps the lead pass to the B button just like the NBA game.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #194
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Hmm...I'll have to try this out. I've been playing on the second-to-lowest difficulty, and I've been playing an open legacy with Maryland. I'm 6-0 thus far, but I've only been playing patsies and winning easily, though I was losing by 18 to St. Johns in the second half before I went on a tear. I may have to tune up the difficulty, but it's hard to say because I haven't played anyone substantial yet (though Illinois is on the docket the game after next).

Still, I am really enjoying this game. It's a heck of a lot of fun, and my 5-year old asked if I was controlling the men on the TV, as she didn't know it was a game (though she plays the XBOX a lot).
how do you know?

Old 01-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #195
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just lost a heartbreaker in my conference tournament as I played Lamar really tough despite being huge underdogs. My SG/SF who is only good at hitting 3's (he is rated 92 in it) missed a 3 pointer with 4 seconds left that would have tied up the game. I'm enjoying this game so much and am heading into my 3rd season now.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #196
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Will trade some games soon to get this one.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #197
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Do it, Todd. It's really a lot of fun, especially if you're into the college game.
how do you know?

Old 01-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #198
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Do it, Todd. It's really a lot of fun, especially if you're into the college game.

I was hoping to get it for Christmas, but received COD 3 and GOW. As soon as I get through COD 3, it's time for some NCAA BB.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #199
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

This game is a lot of fun.. I need to start playing online again.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #200
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm only 7 games into my first season, and my poor Privateers are sitting at 1-6. Most of our games have been close, but we just fall apart at the end. My last loss was against 1-6 UL-Lafayette. Strangely, it was featured on the "College Hoops Tonight" show. I figure that there must have been very few games that week if a game between two Sun Belt teams with a combined record of 2-11 was being featured.