Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2005, 09:20 PM   #151
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Question for Mac. Considering that INXS was big in Australia (much more than in the states, especially in th e90's), how is the show doing there?

It's only shown on sat tv, sabotai, so I guess that limits the audience considerably. Nevertheless, Fox does promote it very heavily on the other sat tv channels still (Fox Sports for example) so that would suggest it's popular with those viewers who have it. I'm totally hooked and the friend I created a dvd for in week 3 now pushes me on Fridays for the week's shows (completed Thursday night here).

I haven't yet seen the elimination so I'm surprised to hear that Ty has gone. He was my first pick and I thought that INXS would only let him go because of his apparent lack of support from the public. Maybe that's what happened. I'll see tonight. I thought he gave a superb performance of "You Don't Always Get What You Want" and many other songs in past weeks.

My support moves to Suzie now who's picked her game up enormously over the last few weeks. She's always been my favourite female contestant but I'm still unsure if a female lead is acceptable to INXS. They insist that one is.

Last night's show lasted an hour. It seemed like 15 minutes. I could stand a few hours of this each week. Forget the elimination. Let's just have these guys on every week

A comment on the popularity of AI - it could be because of the "It could be me up there" mentality of AI. The INXS contestants are professional musicians (or should be if not) and I think the public can't associate themselves with them to the same degree as guys who come in off the street to the initial auditions. We can empathise more easily with singers who occasionally hit bad notes. I think the "American Dream" is in the AI show to a greater extent than the INXS show.

And on Mig as plant - the elimination of two contestants in the second week suggests that the shedule was set for 14 contestants and had to be pulled back into line when 15 were included. I think the idea that Mig was known to INXS (Australia's population is only as big as greater New York's and, though I'm not involved in the music business, even I knew about him) and was included as a safety net may well be true.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 08-31-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:47 PM   #152
Raven
College Prospect

Sorry if I spoiled it for you, Mac.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:51 PM   #153
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
And on Mig as plant - the elimination of two contestants in the second week suggests that the shedule was set for 14 contestants and had to be pulled back into line when 15 were included. I think the idea that Mig was known to INXS (Australia's population is only as big as greater New York's and, though I'm not involved in the music business, even I knew about him) and was included as a safety net may well be true.

I hadn't put those two together (the 14/15 issue and voting 2 people off in one week), but I think you're exactly right. And the comment earlier about Mig being the safety net is as reasonable an explanation as I've heard so far.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:51 PM   #154
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Not a problem, Raven. I was well aware when I chose to read the thread I would probably hear the result. I shall listen to the third show as much for the elimination INXS song performances as the result

Last edited by Mac Howard : 08-31-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:57 PM   #155
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing that Suzie is the favorite. I wasn't impressed with her at all at the begining of this show, but, good God, she has blown me away the last couple of weeks. She is doing the best right now by far (though I still like Marty and really don't get the hate in this thread).

BTW, I always watch this on DVR, usually both episodes on Wednesday night. I generally skip over the "encore" because I had just watched the orginal performance. Tonight, I had to watch Suzie and Marty again. Both of those performances were incredible. This was by far the best week (except JD not getting cut. Ty wasn't winning, but I'm ready to see JD go).
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:06 PM   #156
Ksyrup

The Marty hate is mostly from me, although I don't really hate him, I just don't think he has the vocal ability to front this particular band. He's got an "Eddie Vedder voice" to me - rough-sounding, wavering, and not very melodic - and it just doesn't work with INXS. He needs to be in a modern hard rock band. Aside from that, though, I think he is an excellent frontman, has good stage presence, and has handled INXS' questions with some nearly perfect responses.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-31-2005, 10:09 PM   #157
Ksyrup

I have to think JD is only around to make this more of a TV show. He's done nothing to demonstrate he's ready to be in any band, let alone an established band where he wouldn't be the primary focus. I just don't get how people think he is a perfect fit for this band. Maybe if they were nobodies in their 20's and his ego/personality could naturally dominate, it would work, but in a 20+ year old band of aging (former) rock stars, there's no way he could come in acting like he has and make that situation work.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:31 PM   #158
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Marty needs a less rigid approach to performances. He seems to think that all songs have to be belted out and should hurt the performer But he made an excellent job of Wish You Were Here - really brought through the emotion in the song - without strangling it. His original performance of the new INXS song in day one this week was awful until INXS had him sing it in another key when he sang it well.

I think he needs to see what has happened with Suzie. She began unspectacularly with songs that needed more strength than she has. But recently she's been singing songs which make greater use of her excellent pitch and may well be deserved favourite to win now.

INXS are not the heaviest group on the block and Marty needs to recognise that and calm it down a little occasionally. He's shown he can on a couple of occasions but seems to forget that in this idea he has of where rock is currently going.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:33 PM   #159
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I have to think JD is only around to make this more of a TV show. He's done nothing to demonstrate he's ready to be in any band, let alone an established band where he wouldn't be the primary focus. I just don't get how people think he is a perfect fit for this band. Maybe if they were nobodies in their 20's and his ego/personality could naturally dominate, it would work, but in a 20+ year old band of aging (former) rock stars, there's no way he could come in acting like he has and make that situation work.

I'm afraid that he might remind them of a certain ego driven late lead singer, though.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:37 PM   #160
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
I'm afraid that he might remind them of a certain ego driven late lead singer, though.

I think they're looking for a new singer, though, not a new leader. And I'm not as sold on JD's vocals as some of the others left in the competition. I thought his performance of the INXS song tonight (a mediocre song I'm pretty sure I've never heard before) was really bad, although the song itself didn't help. His performance was lethargic and he hit some bad notes.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:42 PM   #161
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I think they're looking for a new singer, though, not a new leader. And I'm not as sold on JD's vocals as some of the others left in the competition. I thought his performance of the INXS song tonight (a mediocre song I'm pretty sure I've never heard before) was really bad, although the song itself didn't help. His performance was lethargic and he hit some bad notes.

Oh, I completely agree. I think he has to be on the bottom of the list right now. I just think that beyond the "good television" factor, that they like JD more than I would.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:22 PM   #162
SegRat
High School Varsity

I wouldnt be suprised to see Jordis go next. The band IMO doesnt really seem to care for her much, at least not as much as the others.
I also am a fan of Marty. He would make an excellent front man, just not for this band. He really needs to be in more of a hard rock - metal band. If that were the case Marty would probably be the only one I would be willing to pay to see. And possibly Jordis even though she has disapointed latley.
I fully believe this comes down to Mig and Suzzie. BTW I feel Mig is the weakest singer left.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:38 AM   #163
Ksyrup

This will probably end up as an inside joke only I get (well, Hurst will too), but over at the King's X board, after Ty was let go, someone posted that the real reason Ty was let go is because really, who in the hell wants to see a black, mohawked singer fronting a rock back anyway?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:51 AM   #164
Joe
Pro Starter

I was only half watching last night, but what was the reason behind Ty's ranting? Was he saying people didnt like him because he's black, or because he's gay?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:54 AM   #165
Ksyrup

He's a black rock singer with an inability to control his crying.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:06 PM   #166
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
I was only half watching last night, but what was the reason behind Ty's ranting? Was he saying people didnt like him because he's black, or because he's gay?

I know what he meant when he said that his 'people' didn't get respect in the genre, but he was using 'people' to reflect the wrong minority that he belongs to. It's unfortunate that people can't see past any type of bias, though. Ty was an extremely talented singer and he deserved to hang around for at least one more week. J.D. should have been out, but he brings the controversy to the show that gets ratings.

One thing that you need to consider with Marty is that he is very well spoken. Anytime INXS ask him a question, his responses are pertinent to the question and intriguing. Jordis (even though I love her as a singer) isn't mature enough for the band and often stumbles over her responses. J.D. just opens his mouth and diarrhea spews forth. MiG gives Sesame Street answers that just seem to be too happy. Suzie is the only one that has any matter of countenance about her when she speaks.

If you add up Looks + Stage Presence + Voice + Personality, you get two finalists: Marty & Suzie. (My wife tells me that Marty is easy on the eyes) I still think that MiG gets a few extra votes for being Australian. Regardless, J.D. should be next to go, then Jordis. It's really getting good! I really don't want to see Jordis go, because I love her voice and style, but I'm figuring that she'll be able to lauch a career off this show, just like any of the top 8 from this show.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:20 PM   #167
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
This will probably end up as an inside joke only I get (well, Hurst will too), but over at the King's X board, after Ty was let go, someone posted that the real reason Ty was let go is because really, who in the hell wants to see a black, mohawked singer fronting a rock back anyway?

THAT was funny.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:57 PM   #168
Ksyrup

I thought you'd appreciate that!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #169
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I think they must have edited out Ty's "rant" over here. I didn't see anything other than a comment that his "people" were poorly represented in the rock community. Thinking about that I guess he's right - isn't rock the white man's black music? Most prominent black singers of this style are surely better described as R&B or Soul. But even though he did imply there was much to say there was nothing else shown here about his leaving other than this "people" bit said tearfully.

But, on talent, he did deserve to go further. It had become obvious that he wasn't popular with the public but the band always enthused about his performances and I had expected that they would support him longer than they did. The excuse given - that he had been three times in the bottom three - does imply that they realised they couldn't be fronted by a singer lacking public appeal.

A pity though.

I go along with Marty and Suzie as favourites now with Mig a (dubious) outsider. They are both talented singers, have the rock star image and are attractive personalities - Marty intelligent without being arrogant and Suzie an appealing dingbat

On a more sombre note - it's sad to see that Fats Domino is missing in the New Orleans tragedy. Amongst my earliest R&R recording are Fat's "I'm in Love Again", "Blueberry Hill" and "Blue Monday". A sad day if he's not found alive

Last edited by Mac Howard : 09-01-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:43 PM   #170
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
On a more sombre note - it's sad to see that Fats Domino is missing in the New Orleans tragedy. Amongst my earliest R&R recording are Fat's "I'm in Love Again", "Blueberry Hill" and "Blue Monday". A sad day if he's not found alive

I always thought Fats died years ago.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:25 PM   #171
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Whoa! No advance information of the result

Didn't think this week's show lived up to the last few weeks. I didn't feel that there were any outstanding performances. I'm not sure the personal song thing was a good idea - too many songs that weren't particularly interesting. Suzie's and Mig's were too far out of the genre, I didn't think too much of JD's the first time, Marty was back to his yelling and Jordis' was, well, ok I guess.

Jordis to go this week?

Last edited by Mac Howard : 09-07-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:31 PM   #172
Ksyrup

I think the problem was expecting these people to write INXS-type songs for their originals. They're not developed enough as songwriters to write for a particular type of band, let alone write something for them AND good. JD's song was the best, I thought, but only because he used music INXS gave them a few weeks ago.

The show's on right now, so we don't know who's gone yet.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:32 PM   #173
Joe
Pro Starter

fuck JD, I wanted to hear Marty's song again. I liked the yelling.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:04 PM   #174
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

So how does Mig never end up in the bottom 3 despite being mediocre at best? Either it's rigged or everyone in Australia is voting for him.

That said, the right person went home tonight unfortunately.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:54 PM   #175
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche
So how does Mig never end up in the bottom 3 despite being mediocre at best? Either it's rigged or everyone in Australia is voting for him.

That said, the right person went home tonight unfortunately.
Has to be Australia. He is the weakest one by far. No question Jordis lost her confidence which ended up costing her. I bet she gets a record deal sooner than later.

Now my feeling is Marty wins this.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:24 AM   #176
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat
Has to be Australia. He is the weakest one by far. No question Jordis lost her confidence which ended up costing her. I bet she gets a record deal sooner than later.

Now my feeling is Marty wins this.

Maybe, but I'm still hoping for Suzie. She is the best at singing their songs.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:30 AM   #177
Ksyrup

Yep, listening to Jordis, I told my wife that I just didn't think a woman could pull off INXS songs very well. Then Suzie did a fine job with her song.

Mig is too much like a 35-year old member of Backstreet Boys. That's the best way I know to describe him. His original song, that sappy Peter Cetera-esque ballad, just confirmed it for me. He's got talent, but he's not a compelling rock singer.

I'm just not getting Marty, I guess. Despite how much I despise him, I thought JD did a far better original (even though the music was provided by INXS) and outsang Marty on the cover as well. Style-wise, he seems like a much better fit for INXS - no question in my mind. If only his voice/style could be combined with Marty's attitude and public relations savvy.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:03 AM   #178
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Mig is too much like a 35-year old member of Backstreet Boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche
I can tell you for sure that not everyone in Australia is voting for him. I cannot stand him. His stage performance reminds me of somebody from the 80's but I can't put my finger on who.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:08 AM   #179
Ksyrup

I knew it! He's been outed! As a poseur, anyway.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:11 AM   #180
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C

Is that a shaved head Ty? And What's he doing behind Mig???

One thing's for sure, Mig doesn't seem to appreciate it...

FM
Old 09-08-2005, 07:15 AM   #181
Ksyrup

That picture is disturbing on many, many levels.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:59 PM   #182
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Wow, three pages down the thread list. This program really isn't making an impact in the US, is it ?

I noted that Jordis said "see you in two weeks". I don't know how they wind this thing up. Is it one more "bottom three vote and individual rejection" followed by a 3 man play-off program (and "man" may literally be it) with INXS deciding on the winner ?

Last edited by Mac Howard : 09-09-2005 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #183
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard

I noted that Jordis said "see you in two weeks". I don't know how they wind this thing up. Is it one more "bottom three vote and individual rejection" followed by a 3 man play-off program (and "man" may literally be it) with INXS deciding on the winner ?
That is what I am assuming.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:29 PM   #184
dunkem
Mascot

I was wondering about that two week thing too. I guess the trend's been to have a bottom three so when they're down to three in two weeks, they're all going to have to sing INXS songs to determine the final winner.

Jordis just didn't look like she wanted to be there anymore. Think she felt guilty about sticking around that other week and let it affect her future performances.

As much as JD shot himself in the foot in prior weeks, gotta admit that his original "Pretty Vegas" sounded the most "right for the band" than anyone elses. Had that INXS sound to it. Guess the vote said it all - won the encore, but still in the bottom three.
dunkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:23 AM   #185
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
As much as JD shot himself in the foot in prior weeks, gotta admit that his original "Pretty Vegas" sounded the most "right for the band" than anyone elses. Had that INXS sound to it.

Wasn't the music an INXS song? I am pretty sure he only wrote the lyrics to it.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #186
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Wasn't the music an INXS song? I am pretty sure he only wrote the lyrics to it.

Yeah it was the music that INXS provided them a few weeks back, he just wrote the lyrics. So of course INXS will like it the best. And I really dont like that accent he sings with. Its like hes trying to sound like kurt cobain or something.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:41 AM   #187
Hurst2112
College Starter

Jordis is back home now. I haven't talked to her yet. I am sure she is getting bombarded with people asking her questions.

I did hear through the small circle up here that she was hangin out with Dave quite a bit during the show. Also heard that she was jammin with Dave and his band. Don't know what is going to come out of it, but I will keep you posted if I hear anything.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:30 AM   #188
Ksyrup

I had the same reaction to her original as Dave did - Fionna Apple.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:18 AM   #189
Ksyrup

Interesting article. Confirms what we all suspected about that Bowie song being for the AHC guy.

TV show entrant returns ready to rock on her own

Chris Riemenschneider, Star Tribune September 10, 2005 JORDIS0910

She left town two and a half months ago as a struggling musician and a waitress. She came back Thursday as a rock star -- if not the rock star who will be the next singer for INXS.

"It seems like a lifetime since I left," Jordis Unga said Friday, when she was back home with her family and boyfriend in Minneapolis.

One of the final five contestants on the CBS-TV show, "Rock Star: INXS," Unga was voted off the island (actually, it was just Los Angeles) after a lackluster showing Wednesday. Her loss meant she won't get the job singing with Australian rockers INXS, one of the biggest bands of the '80s.

However, plenty of the show's regular watchers will tell you that the St. Paul-reared singer, 23, was the strongest contestant in prior weeks.

In fact, Unga was so impressive, there has been much speculation she sabotaged her chances to win so she could focus on her own music when the show ends.

"No, I had the same goal everybody else had," she insisted Friday. Her problem, she said: "I was done living on a reality-TV show."

"It was fine for a while, but once the cast gets smaller and smaller, the cameras are coming into your bedroom more and hounding you all the time. It really started to get to me."

The show's nonstop taping schedule also started to wear on her personal life. Unga's boyfriend, Karma Cheema (guitarist with local metal band American Head Charge), complained two weeks ago that he could only speak to Unga by phone in 15-minute spurts -- "with the producers listening in the whole time," he said.

Said Unga, curtly, "It was pretty extreme."

Still, she doesn't regret joining the competition. She got on the show after an audition at First Avenue nightclub in February.

"I can't even begin to tell you how much I learned from this experience," she said.

Her favorite moment was when Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro -- one of the show's judges and co-hosts -- invited her on her birthday to sing at the House of Blues, alongside ex-members of Guns N' Roses and Alice in Chains.

She was also happy with the rave reaction she got for her TV performance of David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold the World," which she dedicated to Bryan Ottoson, the American Head Charge guitarist who died in April. It's one of two songs she sang that will be on a CD of the show's best performances, due out Sept. 20.

"That meant a lot to me," she said.

Unga has to return to Los Angeles in two weeks for the final episode. Otherwise she is essentially scot-free to pursue her own music career, she said.

All of the "Rock Star" contestants were signed to a deal with Sony Music that gives Sony first shot at signing Jordis to a recording contract. She said she won't know where that might go until the series ends.

Either way, Unga plans to continue performing with the local hard-rock band Liars Club, formerly the Fighting Tongs, which she fronted before theTV show. Her bandmates coyly posted a message online that Liars Club is "in a state of dormancy as our singer is in Hollywood making us proud."

Unga's great asset might be what hurt her on CBS: She's a powerful Janis Joplin-type of rock vocalist, which wasn't a good fit for the poppy and anthemic INXS. The band's guitarist, Tim Farriss, seemed to admit this Wednesday.

"You are going to be a huge star, and I will be the first guy to buy your record," he said.

Her last song on the show was INXS's breathy "Need You Tonight," which she believes was given to her to be a nail in her coffin.

"There's nothing in that song that gives a singer any room to stretch out," she said.

But she, too, doubted her compatibility with INXS. "It's obviously accurate to say I wasn't a perfect fit," she said.

So who does fit the role?

"I honestly don't know who will win, and I don't think INXS knows, either," Unga said.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:11 PM   #190
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I've been away from this thread for a bit, but I wanted to make a few comments about the last few weeks.

Ty had a great voice, but he shot himself in the foot by declaring that he was going to show as much soul as possible because he thought INXS should move in a more soulful direction. The band obviously disagreed with him and he really wasn't right for their band. I expect to see Ty with a contract soon.

Jordis never was right for the band. She is an amazing talent, and she definitely will be seen on a national scale soon. I found it interesting that Dave Navarro commented that he and she would make music together soon. Jordis mentioned in her exit interview that she expected them to be working together soon. I think they have already got something planned out.

JD would be perfect for INXS if you go only by voice and singing talent. If you listen to him doing INXS songs without looking at the TV, you could easily mistake him for the original singer. His voice and singing style are almost exactly the same. He has a real shot at winning.

Marty is a great stage performer. His original song kicked all kinds of ass. Unfortunately he isn't the greatest singer and probably isn't right for INXS. I'd bet he will find a home with more of a hard rock band where his limited singing ability can be better masked. Maybe we'll see him in next season's Rock Star: Nirvana.

Mig started out very strong, but he has been pretty unimpressive lately. His still has the best singing ability of all of the men remaining thought. He has the greatest range and he seems to be very at ease while singing. It all comes very naturally for him.

Suzi has recently become my favorite. She has great pipes and she is developing quite a stage presence. She is also quite cute in all of her interractions with other people. I don't know if a woman can sing for INXS, but she needs to be singing with someone. I kind of hope she wins.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #191
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Marty is a great stage performer. His original song kicked all kinds of ass. Unfortunately he isn't the greatest singer and probably isn't right for INXS. I'd bet he will find a home with more of a hard rock band where his limited singing ability can be better masked. Maybe we'll see him in next season's Rock Star: Nirvana.

I'd assume that Marty would be a natural winner in Rockstar: Alice in Chains. He'd be a decent fit for Nirvana, but you know that Dave Groehl is beyond that now.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:03 PM   #192
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C
His stage performance reminds me of somebody from the 80's but I can't put my finger on who.

George Michael?
Old 09-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #193
Ksyrup

I'll admit...I completely missed this.

September 9th, 2005

‘Rockstar’ Contestant Slips Expletive Past CBS Censors

Via: Adrants

In a hilarious use of Asian characters - pointed out by Tian, one of the contestants, J.D., on CBS’ Rockstar INXS wore a shirt that, when viewed normally, appeared to say something in an Asian language but, when viewed sideways, clearly reads “Go Fuck Your Self.” Censors did not catch the trick and images of the contestant are all over the Rockstar INXS website and, presumably, were broadcast as well.

Old 09-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #194
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

My wife likes this show. I haven't seen any of it because INXS just isn't my cup of tea. I told her about the tee-shirt, and she happened to have the episode taped. She scanned it, and nowhere is the "f-word" visible on the broadcast.

Dumb stunt, though. I wonder if CBS gave him the shirt, took the promo photos to plaster all over the web site and made sure the bad word wasn't broadcast just to generate some buzz for a show that isn't getting good ratings.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:02 AM   #195
Ksyrup

I don't get the "INXS isn't my cup of tea" sentiment for not watching this show. Out of 2.5 hours of programming a week (including the half hour on VH1), the contestants perform about 15 songs a week, only 3 of which are INXS songs. I guess you can add to that the show's theme song if you're really adverse to the group, but otherwise, it's just another singing competition with a bunch of guys with Australian accents critiquing them.

Yes, in the end, the winner will end up singing for a band that hasn't been on top of the world since I was a junior in high school (or thereabouts), but what makes the winners of AI any more compelling? At least INXS isn't (in the words of Butch Walker, talking about AI) re-writing I Believe I Can Fly year after year to be the lead single for the winner.

From last night's show, I think JD is in the lead right now. He has the combination of looks, attitude, and ability that none of the others possess. It seems pretty clear to me that they're looking for a replacement for Hutchence, not just a new singer to carry on the band, so they need someone who gives off a sexy vibe, or a mysterious rocker vibe, or a bad boy vibe. And JD has all 3.

Marty is just too modern rock for INXS, although they're having him sing Trees again, which tells me that Sony is going to grab that song as part of the RS:INXS contract to sell his single, even though he's going to lose (and that guarantees him a spot in the top 3, IMO). Maybe he'll even get his own contract out of this, who knows? But I think he's too serious and intense to sing 80's dance rock songs. ANd he'd need a lot of work to stop keep Bulging Veins Marty from reappearing.

Mig is too nice - great voice, but like Ty, he's too theatre for a rock band (or at least this rock band). He knows when to dial back the happy go lucky attitude and performances, though, unlike Ty, but he's still missing that "rock singer" attitude. Unless he really is the ringer, I could see him going home this week. He has none of the vibes going for him, at all. Even his sex appeal, which I assume is there, is still a kind of Tom Cruise appeal, as opposed to, say, Jim Morrison. And these guys aren't looking for someone who looks right at home posing with a bunch of hand puppets (see above).

Susie...she's got the best voice, is a great performer, and I think she's hot, but I'm not convinced the band is willing to remake itself with a female singer. Too drastic a change. It's clear they're not just going to scrap the past and be a "new" INXS, and although she can pull off the old stuff pretty well, I just don't think they want a female lead singer. I could see her going home this week as well, although maybe they keep her for the final 3 just to ward off any "you were never going to pick a woman anyway" criticism.

My best guess is that Mig is gonig home this week, although Susie could also go.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:59 PM   #196
sabotai
General Manager

My quick thoughts on tonight's show.

I thought JD did the best by far, followed by Mig, Marty and Suzie in that order. I was "meh" on Mig's performance, couldn't stop yawning through Marty's and was just plain annoyed by Suzie (you don't not have to say "Come on" to the crowd every 4 fucking seconds!)

Either Suzie or Marty should go, but I don't think INXS likes Suzie's emotional breakdowns so she might be gone and they seem to like Marty for whatever reason.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:02 PM   #197
Joe
Pro Starter

I hate JD, mainly because he comes off as a smug asshole. But maybe thats what theyre looking for.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:07 PM   #198
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
I hate JD, mainly because he comes off as a smug asshole. But maybe thats what theyre looking for.

I hate him too...but I still he think he did the best tonight.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:14 PM   #199
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
I hate him too...but I still he think he did the best tonight.

I think so too
Old 09-14-2005, 06:50 AM   #200
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I HATED Mig's rendition of Paint it Black. It sounded like how In Sync would sing it. And then he says that's his favorite Stones song? Sad.