Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #151
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
As RedZone was doing its attention deficit broadcast, I noticed two times at the end of the late games that a QB attempted a pass beyond the line of scrimmage. I know one of them was the Bears QB on the last (about 4 yards beyond) but don't recall the other one (could have been the Chiefs QB or the Bears one again). Do they not throw a flag on this any more?

They do!

Cutler was right at the LOS when he threw his so they were right in not calling that. Didnt see the other one you are referring to.

Actually the Chiefs QB on the last play was beyond the LOS. They called it but it was declined since it was 4th down. Is that the one?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-29-2013 at 07:11 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #152
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
They do!

Cutler was right at the LOS when he threw his so they were right in not calling that. Didnt see the other one you are referring to.

Actually the Chiefs QB on the last play was beyond the LOS. They called it but it was declined since it was 4th down. Is that the one?

That would be the one, didn't notice the flag. For Cutler, I was going by where the digital blue line was on that last play.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #153
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Amazing stat: In Belichick's 14 seasons at NE, they have had a first round bye 8 times.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #154
Thomkal
Head Coach

well my beloved Cards nearly pulled it off-Jay Feely missing those two FG's really hurt. I posted back about the Week 4 thread how awful this team was-Carson Palmer was a walking INT machine and the defense stunk. But once Daryl Washington came back from his four game suspension, it seems like the team gained new life and showed their true potential. Will have to see what they do with Palmer now-he's on a one year contract and for all the success he had, he threw 21 INT's.

Back in that week 4 post I jokingly said after I ripped into them, "now watch they will make the playoffs". Well that almost happened and no one is more surprised than me. So while I'm disappointed they didn't quite make it, have to say they surpassed all my expectations and deserved to be fighting for a playoff spot in the last week of the season.

Good luck to all the teams that made/will make the playoffs and their fans as well.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #155
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Second, the Bears were without Melton, Briggs, Tillman, Cutler, DJ Williams, and Stephen Paea for a good part of the season plus Peppers played hurt the first half of the season. That's their starting QB and two best defensive players along with several other defensive starters.

DJ Williams and Melton were playing bad. And Paea doesn't belong in the NFL.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #156
miami_fan
Coordinator

Effin Romo....oh wait
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #157
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Worst thing that could happen to the Cowboys.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #158
miami_fan
Coordinator

I see it is still a funny thing when a offensive player leads with the crown of his helmet.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #159
BillJasper
Pro Starter

The Dallas defense is playing about as well as expected.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #160
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

2014 Draft Order

1. HOU, 2. STL (through WAS), 3. JAX, 4. CLE, 5. OAK, 6. ATL, 7. TBY, 8. MIN, 9. BUF, 10. DET, 11. TEN, 12. NYG. 13. STL, 14. CHI, 15. PIT... 20. ARI.

If Dallas wins: 16. BAL, 17. NYJ, 18. MIA, 19. PHI.

If Philadelphia wins: 16/17. DAL/BAL coin flip, 18. NYJ, 19. MIA.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #161
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Amazing stat: In Belichick's 14 seasons at NE, they have had a first round bye 8 times.

Even more amazing: they have 14 more regular season wins over the last seven years than any other team (2 per season), yet no Super Bowl wins during that time.

Given the 3 previous Super Bowl wins and the fact that Belichick/Brady shouldn't be expected to be any worse in key games as they mature, it makes you wonder what the playoffs are testing?

Of course, if you anoint champions like college football does, you'd invite some legitimate anger.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #162
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Chris Collinsworth sporting the "Mr. Rogers" sweater.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #163
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Lots of good options this year.

Andy Reid
Mike McCarthy
Bruce Arians
Ron Rivera
Sean Payton

Andy Reid - Chiefs go from 2-14 to 11-5.

Pros

Obviously, the record. Implemented new system with new QB to take team to another level. Started 9-0.

Cons

A ton of talent already there, they just had a lot of the defense injured last year and no QB. Get a competent QB and the defense healthy, there would have been a massive improvement anyway. Record HEAVILY influenced by schedule. 6 of their 10 wins were against last place teams.

McCarthy

Pros

Won the division. Brutal schedule and lost his all pro QB for a good chunk of time.

Cons

If the other teams in the division didn't take shotguns, point them directly at their feet and pull the trigger, the Packers would not have made the playoffs. Really hard to get excited about gutting out a win against the Bears when this same Bears team was tore apart at the seams by Philly the previous week.

Arians

Pro

He led the Cardinals to ten wins. Enough said. Lots of young players, new Qb, brutal top of the division. Beat both the Colts and Panthers. 7-2 in last nine games with both losses coming by 3 points.

Con

Didn't make the playoffs. Coach of the years generally make the playoffs. No matter the reasons, the Cardinals are not there.

Rivera

Pro

Terrific finish (11-1 in last 12) Tons of publicity for pulling his head out of his cranium and getting some balls. Massive wins against Patriots and Saints. Played the Seahawks tough. First round bye, the highest playoff spot of all the candidates

Con

Only played 5 playoff teams. (3-2 record) 6 wins against teams with 6 or less W's themselves.

Chip Kelly

Pro

The Eagles haven't exactly had good year the last two under Reid. While the Chiefs won 2 last year, the Eagles only won 4 and had a far worse defense than the Chiefs. New system (bonus points for it being heavily criticized) Assuming a win tonight, 10 win season with a new QB in the first year of his regime.

Con

Dumpster fire of a division. Weak schedule

Sorry, but I'm not going to rate Payton. Yes, the Saints had a poor season last year, but there were too many issues beyond just his suspension to talk about impacting that team. Multiple coaches suspended, coaching change in mid year because of those suspensions, top player involved in labor dispute, etc. I'm sorry, they were always a 10+ win team. He's a great coach, he isn't coach of the year.

My vote? Probably Rivera. More high profile wins, higher seed in playoffs, better finish. I won't complain when Reid wins it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #164
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Even more amazing: they have 14 more regular season wins over the last seven years than any other team (2 per season), yet no Super Bowl wins during that time.

Given the 3 previous Super Bowl wins and the fact that Belichick/Brady shouldn't be expected to be any worse in key games as they mature, it makes you wonder what the playoffs are testing?

Of course, if you anoint champions like college football does, you'd invite some legitimate anger.

I think most people have got it figured out by now that the best team rarely wins the Super Bowl. The hottest team or the hottest QB does, but generally not the best team. I still want the playoffs though. It'd be more accurate if there were best of 3's or something, but with the punishment that comes with the game, you don't get that and never will.

The Beli/Brady record is really amazing. They won 11 games the year Brady was hurt and missed the playoffs. Pretty amazing record.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #165
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Wasn't he still moving forward and not down yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
How could the booth not review it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Can they, it's all about the whistle blowing the play dead?

Looks like Perreira saying he felt should have been a fumble and KC TD. But forward progress not reviewable.

When it occurred, my feelings were Weddle didn't have the 1st initially. With a 2nd push, he gains 1st down, but also loses ball. If progress stopped, no first. If it's not, fumble. Can't really see another point progress stops.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #166
TroyF
Coordinator

This Eagles offense is fun to watch. First half numbers:

16 pass attempts. 1 player targeted 4 times. 5 targeted 2 times. 1 targeted 1 time.

6 players with 2 catches. 1 player with 1 catch.

239 yards of offense, 0 turnovers.

Very, very nice.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #167
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2014 Draft Order

1. HOU, 2. STL (through WAS), 3. JAX, 4. CLE, 5. OAK, 6. ATL, 7. TBY, 8. MIN, 9. BUF, 10. DET, 11. TEN, 12. NYG. 13. STL, 14. CHI, 15. PIT... 20. ARI.

If Dallas wins: 16. BAL, 17. NYJ, 18. MIA, 19. PHI.

If Philadelphia wins: 16/17. DAL/BAL coin flip, 18. NYJ, 19. MIA.

STL is in a nice place to trade down and get a lot of picks. Someone is going to want Bridgewater or Clowney.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #168
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would imagine Houston takes Bridgewater. At the pace he is going I doubt anyone traders up for Clowney. My guess is Oakland takes him at 5
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #169
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I would imagine Houston takes Bridgewater. At the pace he is going I doubt anyone traders up for Clowney. My guess is Oakland takes him at 5

I think Clowney is going to slide to the mid- or late-first round. There just seems to be some red flags around the guy and I'm sure NFL teams are likely going to dig up more.

I really expect him to be a bust unless he goes someplace with strong locker room leadership and a stable coaching staff.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #170
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm just glad the Lions have invested enough into the DL that they would pass on him if need be.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #171
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

Rivera

Pro

Terrific finish (11-1 in last 12) Tons of publicity for pulling his head out of his cranium and getting some balls.

He he he
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #172
cougarfreak
College Starter

Bengals/Chargers are kicking at 1 PM eastern time next Sunday? How in the heck does that make sense in terms of scheduling? Has a west coast team played in that time slot all year?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #173
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Bengals/Chargers are kicking at 1 PM eastern time next Sunday? How in the heck does that make sense in terms of scheduling? Has a west coast team played in that time slot all year?

6th seed gets no sympathy.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #174
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
They didnt play as well in their last 6-7 games. I dont think that it is a secret. The defense started to show weakness. Did you think they played well the 2nd half of the season?

They are in the playoffs and in the NFL anything can happen but that defense needs to play like they did at the beginning of the season rather than at the end of the season if they want to have any success in the playoffs.

As I previously noted, the Chiefs are getting back two top players. Both of those guys have been injured for most of the past six games, which not coincidentally, is when they hit their slide. I think they will beat Indy and then we'll see what happens from there.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #175
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Damnit, I need 15 more yards from Witten to win my non-FOFC league
Old 12-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #176
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Nice drive by the Eagles.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #177
Danny
Head Coach

There you go fozzie
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #178
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The clock ref just screwed the Cowboys.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #179
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
As I previously noted, the Chiefs are getting back two top players. Both of those guys have been injured for most of the past six games, which not coincidentally, is when they hit their slide. I think they will beat Indy and then we'll see what happens from there.

Brandon Albert was fully healthy for both the Denver and San Diego losses. He was hurt in the second Denver loss. Justin Houston was fully healthy in the first Denver win when the Chiefs never touched Manning.

In the final four games the Chiefs played before his injury, he had 1.5 sacks and they gave up an average of over 380 yards a game. (which would rank as the 6th worst defense in the NFL over a full season. This was against the Broncos, Bills, Browns and Texans.

Besides, it isn't a sure thing either will come back at full strength. A rusty Albert gets to block a nasty pass rush in a loud dome for example. The Chiefs will be very lucky to win in Indy. Very, very lucky. Their only hope is Charles goes off. It could happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #180
TroyF
Coordinator

I have to see the replay, but that sure looked like a late hit on the QB to me. They went at the head too. The Rodger one earlier I thought was insane. This one looked like a fairly obvious cheap shot. I'll be interested to see this replay. I think the Cowboys just caught a massive break.

New Orleans has to be thrilled at this. No doubt in my mind they want to play Dallas over Philly.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #181
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

ANTI-climatic end there, but yay Eagels!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #182
RedKingGold
College Starter

JJ's reaction was priceless.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #183
Danny
Head Coach

Orton just pulled a Romo

Last edited by Danny : 12-29-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #184
Radii
Head Coach

Eagles! Now beat the Saints please.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #185
BillJasper
Pro Starter

It is like Tony Romo was never hurt!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #186
TroyF
Coordinator

Didn't look as bad on the replay. Still thought the second man in hit him in the head.

Orton with a horrible throw. No doubt in my mind Romo made that happen. It just has to be his fault.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #187
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

We won't get fooled again.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-29-2013 at 10:23 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #188
BillJasper
Pro Starter

It was a great game though.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #189
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
It is like Tony Romo was never hurt!

Kyle Orton channeling his inner Romo.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #190
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I have to see the replay, but that sure looked like a late hit on the QB to me. They went at the head too. The Rodger one earlier I thought was insane. This one looked like a fairly obvious cheap shot. I'll be interested to see this replay. I think the Cowboys just caught a massive break.

Foles isn't a big enough name to get that call.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #191
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

if the Steelers weren't bitter enough, the league is acknowledging that they should've penalized the Chargers five yards (and re kick) on the missed FG for an illegal defensive formation (seven men on one side of the ball)
Old 12-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #192
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Kyle Orton channeling his inner Romo.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #193
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here's the story on the missed call (with photo evidence)

San Diego Chargers got away with uncalled penalty in win over Chiefs | Audibles - SI.com
Old 12-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #194
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Chris Collinsworth sporting the "Mr. Rogers" sweater.

CollinsworthMr.Rogerssweater.jpg
Old 12-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #195
TroyF
Coordinator

I'll change my coach of the year and give it to Chud.

I support the Nuggets and they knife me every year, but the Browns make the Nuggets look somewhat functional and lucky. Good lord. . .
Old 12-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #196
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

I think the playoffs are testing too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions. Luck evens out over the course of a season or multiple seasons, but is magnified and uneven in one game or a short series of games. Which is why it's so hard to consistently win the Super Bowl year in and year out.

A better question to ask would be how Dallas manages to go at or around .500 nearly every season. That's probably less probable than winning a Super Bowl.

Last edited by Desnudo : 12-29-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #197
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

JerryJones.jpg
Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #198
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Is that Cornholio?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #199
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Is that Cornholio?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...g-interception
Old 12-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #200
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

That's the grandson, who I coached. Dear God, the stories I could tell.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote