Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2006, 03:28 AM   #151
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Yes, accuracy increases the width of the pink spot.

Yet another quote of the month.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:07 AM   #152
Vince
Pro Starter

Man, I was put in my place tonight. Quick, 3-Hole game on Blue Lagoon against a Junior A player. I put my second shot within a yard of the hole, and am feeling pretty good about myself...

...until she tomahawk-backspins in for Eagle, then gets a hole in one on the next hole. She got a total of 6 for the three holes.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #153
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Man, I was put in my place tonight. Quick, 3-Hole game on Blue Lagoon against a Junior A player. I put my second shot within a yard of the hole, and am feeling pretty good about myself...

...until she tomahawk-backspins in for Eagle, then gets a hole in one on the next hole. She got a total of 6 for the three holes.

she???

Michelle Wie or Anika Sorenstam?

FM
Old 06-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #154
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
Yes, accuracy increases the width of the pink spot.

(That's a sentence I'd never thought I'd see myself write.)

I've played about 30 pickup rounds altogether (outside of those with FOFC players), and only one has been bad. Half have been pretty good, and the other half have been quiet. With such an international crowd playing, I think a lot of the players have limited English skills. They tend to play silently when in small groups.

The nice thing about droppers is that the game tracks quitting percentages. You can look them up before you join a round with them. I've avoided a few players based on their quit percentages.

Just plain silly to quit on the last putt, as you get a pang bonus for completing the round.

yeah, that was just plain stupid of him. On the 2nd of 3 holes, about 10 seconds into my aligning my tee shot, he goes "go" on the chat line. I was looking at the top view of the hole and was about to fire my shot maybe 7 seconds later. Did the shot and asked "go?" to which he replied maybe a couple shots later "yes". Never could figure out what he meant. Maybe he felt I was playing too slow, but I don't think I'm really that slow of a player, even though I couldn't finish my 18 hole tourney in 35 minutes, but that was my first and all the names flying around kind of disturbed me at first...

FM
Old 06-08-2006, 07:18 AM   #155
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

go
Old 06-08-2006, 07:25 AM   #156
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

go?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #157
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

gogogogogogogogo!

He might have just been trying to let you know it was your turn. If it only happened once, I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like the person may have had some language limitations as well.

Did everyone see the "24-hours of double pang" fest if the US wins a World Cup match? Go USA!
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #158
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
gogogogogogogogo!

He might have just been trying to let you know it was your turn. If it only happened once, I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like the person may have had some language limitations as well.

Did everyone see the "24-hours of double pang" fest if the US wins a World Cup match? Go USA!

maybe he was and yes, maybe he had some limitations. I didn't worry about it as you said, he only did it once. But to see him take like 3 seconds to putt and then leave the ball short by 2 or 3 yards, or don'T line the drive and then it it straight to the rough, I was like "heh?". And then see him leave on his last putt, that was like, huh???

So double pang if US wins a match kinda mean this game is American. All the while I was kind of thinking it was another Korean or Japanese game like the other golf game...

FM
Old 06-08-2006, 10:11 AM   #159
Lonnie
High School Varsity

The domain name is registered to Gamefactory, Inc. Torrence CA so I'd say they are at least american based.

They also have ogplanet.com which has a Online Gaming Planet coming soon page up. So I guess they more games in the works.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #160
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie
The domain name is registered to Gamefactory, Inc. Torrence CA so I'd say they are at least american based.

They also have ogplanet.com which has a Online Gaming Planet coming soon page up. So I guess they more games in the works.

My understanding that it was a bit of a port of a Japanese game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #161
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
go?
yes
Old 06-08-2006, 10:19 AM   #162
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
My understanding that it was a bit of a port of a Japanese game?

It does have a Hanbitsoft logo on the bottom of the page, they may be the developers and may be Japanese. No link from it.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:30 AM   #163
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

hanbitsoft is apparently the developper/publisher of Pangya, the original online golf game: http://www.pangya.com/english/

Wonder why albatross18 came to life if Pangya already existed? Only to make a US version of the game?

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 06-08-2006 at 10:31 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:13 AM   #164
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

The original version is Japanese, I believe. I've spent some time on the website. There are a lot more courses, items, and characters, which are gradually making their way into the US version. Lots of things to look forward to.

There was also an English wiki site that talked about all the things in the Japanese/Korean versions. I'll have to see if I can find it again...

I'm thinking about trying the Japanese version (I know the language), but I don't want that install to mess up the English install.

Edit: I stand corrected. The orginal version was Korean.

Here's a Wiki page that shows some of the features in the Korean/Japanese versions, but there was a better page that had photos and stuff. LOTS of new courses and stuff in the future for the game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangya#...g_Sand_.5BA.5D

The bottom two photos on this page link to videos on new courses that are already out in the Japanese version of the game. One of them looks to be aboard an aircraft carrier:
http://www.pangya.jp/fan_movie.aspx

The second to last one has a few funny Japanese English quotes in it:
"They came to here to rule the wind."
"Remember what they whisper about the wind."
"Then nature and you became the one."
"Challenge Yourself to the Nature!"

Those Japanese just crack me up.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 06-08-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:39 AM   #165
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
The original version is Japanese, I believe. I've spent some time on the website. There are a lot more courses, items, and characters, which are gradually making their way into the US version. Lots of things to look forward to.

There was also an English wiki site that talked about all the things in the Japanese/Korean versions. I'll have to see if I can find it again...

I'm thinking about trying the Japanese version (I know the language), but I don't want that install to mess up the English install.

Edit: I stand corrected. The orginal version was Korean.

Here's a Wiki page that shows some of the features in the Korean/Japanese versions, but there was a better page that had photos and stuff. LOTS of new courses and stuff in the future for the game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangya#...g_Sand_.5BA.5D

The bottom two photos on this page link to videos on new courses that are already out in the Japanese version of the game. One of them looks to be aboard an aircraft carrier:
http://www.pangya.jp/fan_movie.aspx

The second to last one has a few funny Japanese English quotes in it:
"They came to here to rule the wind."
"Remember what they whisper about the wind."
"Then nature and you became the one."
"Challenge Yourself to the Nature!"

Those Japanese just crack me up.

very cool, and very encouraging that new stuff should be coming our way, since it's already available in other languages...

FM
Old 06-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #166
wade moore
lolzcat

Yeah, looking forward to more stuff... it's discouraging sometimes looking in the shop and realizing how few things you can get with pangya...

Especially when i have such a hard time getting pangya.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #167
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, looking forward to more stuff... it's discouraging sometimes looking in the shop and realizing how few things you can get with pangya...

Especially when i have such a hard time getting pangya.

Lots of clothes items can be had with pangya. Characters and caddies as well. Golf clubs is the one big one you can't get with pangya.

Wade, you know about the 1,000 pang bonus for completing courses and breaking your own course records?

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 06-08-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #168
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

getting Uncle Bob as my character is my next goal to get pang for

FM
Old 06-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #169
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
getting Uncle Bob as my character is my next goal to get pang for

FM

I was thinking about buying "Dectective Bob" and the "Air Lance II" clubs. That would be 320 cookies. $19.95 for 420 cookies; I'd have 100 cookies left over.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #170
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I was thinking about buying "Dectective Bob" and the "Air Lance II" clubs. That would be 320 cookies. $19.95 for 420 cookies; I'd have 100 cookies left over.

interesting idea... if I would ever put money in the game, it would definitely be to get a different character, not really to improve the cute kiddo they give us to start...

FM
Old 06-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #171
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
interesting idea... if I would ever put money in the game, it would definitely be to get a different character, not really to improve the cute kiddo they give us to start...

FM

I was thinking about saving up pang for Bob (I think I'm about 7,000 short), but getting him would deplete all my pang, and it would take a long time to upgrade his stuff. 190 cookies would get Bob and decent clothes, 130 more cookies would get the new clubs, and then all my pang could be spent on upgrading the clubs (I've heard it takes quite a bit of pang to upgrade club stats). For $20, I'd have a new character, with decent clothes, and some nice, upgraded clubs. Plus I'd have 100 cookies left over to get one more clothes item.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #172
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Dola...

Speaking of pang...

I've yet to finish some of the more difficult courses. If anyone's around later in the evenings, I'd like to go 18 holes in a twosome (three or four players would take too long, I think) just to get a look at some of the other courses and pick up the 1,000 pang. I could always try a tournament to do this, but making it through a AAA course in under 35 minutes the first time would be a bitch, I think.

Probably take about an hour and twenty minutes for two people to make it through a course. I'm thinking after ten central time, but I'm not sure yet which nights work for me (all might). Just a thought if anyone is around later in the evenings and is interested.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 06-08-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #173
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola...

Speaking of pang...

I've yet to finish some of the more difficult courses. If anyone's around later in the evenings, I'd like to go 18 holes in a twosome (three or four players would take too long, I think) just to get a look at some of the other courses and pick up the 1,000 pang. I could always try a tournament to do this, but making it through a AAA course in under 35 minutes the first time would be a bitch, I think.

Probably take about an hour and twenty minutes for two people to make it through a course. I'm thinking after ten central time, but I'm not sure yet which nights work for me (all might). Just a thought if anyone is around later in the evenings and is interested.

I'd be up for it....i'm usually playing between 10pm-2am EST.

Friday and Saturday would'nt work for me though.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #174
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
I'd be up for it....i'm usually playing between 10pm-2am EST.

Friday and Saturday would'nt work for me though.

Cool. I'm about 50-50 chance I can play tonight, but if it works out, great.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #175
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

10 central is 11 eastern, right? if so, it's a bit too late for me to get into a full 18, but I'd be willing to do it starting at 10 eastern though. I usually get to start playing around 9:30.

Two player only, as you said, 3 or 4 would be way too long...

FM
PS: we have Jeebs sighting in this thread as I'm typing. When will we see the infamous JeeberD moniker show up on albatross18? More news at 11.

FM
Old 06-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #176
JeeberD
General Manager

I just signed up and am in the process of downloading the software. Not that I need anything else to suck up my free time...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #177
JeeberD
General Manager

I just got finished playing a couple of 3 holers with wade. He beat me both times, but I think I did pretty decent for being a complete newb...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #178
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

hehe, we got him addicted. Great work guys!

FM
Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #179
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I just got finished playing a couple of 3 holers with wade. He beat me both times, but I think I did pretty decent for being a complete newb...

Here's a lesson I learned:

Don't jump up to the AA courses yet. In fact, I'd stick with Blue Lagoon. The biggest frustration and stroke killer for me was playing on courses where I ended up O.B. a LOT... Blue Lagoon is not too bad for that.

Quote:
Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #180
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I'll probably be on tonight after the Mavs/Heat game.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #181
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Here's a lesson I learned:

Don't jump up to the AA courses yet. In fact, I'd stick with Blue Lagoon. The biggest frustration and stroke killer for me was playing on courses where I ended up O.B. a LOT... Blue Lagoon is not too bad for that.

agreed. The course I played on my one tourney was the night one and it's a AA and I found it frustrating, especially that I was rushing through my shots to make it under 35 minutes, which I didn't achieve anyway

FM
Old 06-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #182
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie
I'll probably be on tonight after the Mavs/Heat game.

and I should be on around 9:30 pm eastern. Again, a reminder, check if you have not received a buddy request. There were still 6 or 7 guys I sent requests to that had not accepted them. Having you on my buddy lists makes it very easy to arrange games and such and I'd rather play with FOFCers than strangers...

FM
Old 06-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #183
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Going back and forth on slapping down 20 bucks and buying a character set (and a few other things).

Problem is, Bob (who would be my first choice) looks fucking retarded.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #184
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
and I should be on around 9:30 pm eastern. Again, a reminder, check if you have not received a buddy request. There were still 6 or 7 guys I sent requests to that had not accepted them. Having you on my buddy lists makes it very easy to arrange games and such and I'd rather play with FOFCers than strangers...

FM

Although it's annoying that you can't see your buddy list after you create a room, making invites hard.

Quote:
Old 06-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #185
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Going back and forth on slapping down 20 bucks and buying a character set (and a few other things).

Problem is, Bob (who would be my first choice) looks fucking retarded.

Well, you could always be Cecilia and wear a pink mini-skirt.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #186
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, you could always be Cecilia and wear a pink mini-skirt.

Hey, at least I'd be original amongst the FOFC players, I bet.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #187
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

So what.....3 days until Jeebs reaches the highest level in the game?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #188
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Although it's annoying that you can't see your buddy list after you create a room, making invites hard.

but you at least get a notice that they logged in...

FM
Old 06-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #189
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
but you at least get a notice that they logged in...

FM

True.

Quote:
Old 06-08-2006, 05:38 PM   #190
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Stupid (??) question: when you start a game, how do you know what course you will be on? I started a 4-player game but there was no 'course choice' menu that I saw.

(I have only played 3 times, so maybe I just didn't see it or am too low level)
Old 06-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #191
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
Stupid (??) question: when you start a game, how do you know what course you will be on? I started a 4-player game but there was no 'course choice' menu that I saw.

(I have only played 3 times, so maybe I just didn't see it or am too low level)

It's a graphical photon on the top right once you go into the room. There are arrows to the right and below it to chagne your choices.

Quote:
Old 06-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #192
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

private room created on crux.

FOFC
pw: jim
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #193
Radii
Head Coach

dunno how much I'll play, but I'm in, as radii.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:20 AM   #194
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Welcome, radii!

Wow. I hadn't played since last Friday, when everyone was Rookie D, E, and F. Now hurst2112 and Vince are Rookie A's, and I imagine everyone else has made quite a bit of progress.

I've signed up for those Google Spreadsheet thingies, and was thinking we could make an FOFC spreadsheet for our course records and such. Not sure if that will work or not, but might be fun if it did. Wade, any thoughts? You've been messing with those, right?

Played Blue Moon for the first time in a tournament tonight. Tricky course without some extra distance. Thought I would get the 1,000 pang bonus for finishing the course for the first time, but apparently it has to be -1 or better, even the first time? I was aiming for par, no better, and got par right on the nose, but the bonus didn't kick in.

Thanks for playing, Vince!

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 06-09-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:55 AM   #195
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Welcome, radii!

Wow. I hadn't played since last Friday, when everyone was Rookie D, E, and F. Now hurst2112 and Vince are Rookie A's, and I imagine everyone else has made quite a bit of progress.

I've signed up for those Google Spreadsheet thingies, and was thinking we could make an FOFC spreadsheet for our course records and such. Not sure if that will work or not, but might be fun if it did. Wade, any thoughts? You've been messing with those, right?

Played Blue Moon for the first time in a tournament tonight. Tricky course without some extra distance. Thought I would get the 1,000 pang bonus for finishing the course for the first time, but apparently it has to be -1 or better, even the first time? I was aiming for par, no better, and got par right on the nose, but the bonus didn't kick in.

yeah, welcome aboard Radii. The nice thing is that you can always come and play a quick 3 hole game with only one other player and that comes as a nice little time waster. Then if you know you got more time, say 45minutes to an hour, then you can try and get a 6 hole game with 3 other players. Plenty to have fun with...

I finished my first tourney in 35 minutes, actually did it in 33 minutes, on Blue Lagoon. Shot +2 even though I had a couple of holes that I got stuck in a Tin Cup situation and got stubborn to try and get through over the water instead of playing a short on and then going over. So +2 with two holes of 9 is still a nice round for me.

GB, yeah, at +2 I didn't get any bonus for finishing it either. I'm at Rookie C for now. Did get to play much yesterday as the lady requested the computer for work purposes, bleh.

I've made a spreadsheet for my own use with easypar, so I'll see if I can get something together for us to use with complete rounds... Wade, feel free to try something too if you want though...

FM
Old 06-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #196
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Welcome, radii!

Yeah, Google Spreadsheets wouldn't definately work. We could make it so that everyone has access and just enteres their data afterwards.

Are you thinking mainly about when we play matches with each other?

Quote:
Old 06-09-2006, 07:15 AM   #197
Radii
Head Coach

I played a 6 hole round with SirFozzie, Glengoyne and hurst last night, lots of fun, its very similar to shot online, which I had a lot of fun with last year for awhile.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #198
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, Google Spreadsheets wouldn't definately work. We could make it so that everyone has access and just enteres their data afterwards.

"wouldn't definately work"???

Me thinks Wade needs a cup of coffee

FM
Old 06-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #199
wade moore
lolzcat

Freakin' A...

I'm typoing all over the place lately...

Quote:
Old 06-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #200
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:

I was thinking more of the following information:

FOFC Name
Albatross 18 Username
Level

Then a section for individual course records for each of the courses:
North Wiz
Blue Lagoon
Blue Water

Then a couple of other things might be cool to post, such as Hole-in-One totals, trophies. We could always add things later.

This is rough, and doesn't include all the courses, but something like this:
Code:
FOFC Name UserName Level North Wiz Blue Lagoon Blue Water HIOS Trophies Vince VinceFOF RookieA -27 +3 +7 4 7 Wade Moore wademoore RookieB -17 +4 -14 16 6

Maybe I'll see if I can throw something together once I get an email from Google letting me mess with the spreadsheets.

We could everything on the honor system. People could go in and enter their scores/data when something changes. I think that the key would be having something that doesn't have so much information that it takes forever to do, or requires constant updating. Something like this you'd only change when you beat a personal record on a course, or get a hole-in-one, etc.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 06-09-2006 at 09:26 AM.