Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2007, 10:04 PM   #151
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
More good players, definitely. Donovan, Beckham, Reyna, Angel - these are proven international players.

Wait, wait....Donovan?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:21 PM   #152
Critch
lolzcat

During the Red Bulls v Chicago game, one of the commentators mentioned that he had it on good authority that there would be another New York MLS team in the near future in an attempt to mirror the Galaxy/Chivas rivalry's success.

Have there been any other rumors about another New York team, any hints as to what the plan is?
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:33 PM   #153
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Maybe they think two teams playing at that stadium in New Jersey will bring in more money? Whatever. MLS sends more mixed signals than a college girl, you never know where they're courting, where they want teams or don't and it's kinda silly, because it's not like they're the prettiest girl in the room to begin with.

I'm not saying be desperate, but damn...why not try to drum up the interest in the sport by putting teams in places with actual people (looks at you Salt Lake City).
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #154
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
During the Red Bulls v Chicago game, one of the commentators mentioned that he had it on good authority that there would be another New York MLS team in the near future in an attempt to mirror the Galaxy/Chivas rivalry's success.

Have there been any other rumors about another New York team, any hints as to what the plan is?

I don't believe the league can legally do so before 2010, for starters. I think this is moderately unlikely. Red Bull attendance is VERY weak right now, so adding a 2nd team seems like a recipe for disaster. The Galaxy had very strong attendance before Chivas was added, so it's a whole different situation.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #155
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Wait, wait....Donovan?
He didn't have the best World Cup in '06, but he's been consistently excellent at the international level outside of that.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #156
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:

It's something that's been kicked around for a long time, with the ideas usually centering on a new stadium somewhere else in the metro area. I think Queens has been mentioned.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 06-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #157
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
It's something that's been kicked around for a long time, with the ideas usually centering on a new stadium somewhere else in the metro area. I think Queens has been mentioned.

Wouldn't that be a nail in the Red Bulls coffin?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #158
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

The assumption is that there's enough fans in the NYC metro area to support more than one team. Also, depending on where the new team would be located, it might be an area where it's relatively impractical to make it to RBNY games, making it even more likely that they wouldn't cannibalize the fanship.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #160
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And some of the talks of the new team in NY has been rumored to be a resurrection of the NY Cosmos, though this time in Queens.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #161
Blade6119
Coordinator

Why put another team in NY? They would do much better placing a team in a more soccer hungry city...even if its El Paso or St. Louis, i can gurantee they would get higher attendance.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #162
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why not Vegas in an indoor stadium? Hell, even an outdoor stadium but that would be brutal
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #163
Easy Mac

The first 35 minutes of Colorado-Toronto was interesting, up and down soccer. Neither team seems to have much of a back line or any kind of interest in defending in the midfield.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #164
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Angel continues to rock the house for RBNY. 6 goals in 5 games now.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #165
Easy Mac

So I can watch either the RSL-CLB or Chivas-Revs game on MLS Live right now. Which should I choose? I'm not sure if watching the potential better game (revs game) is worth having to suffer through Christian Miles.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:12 PM   #166
Easy Mac

Watching the Chivas game, things are starting to get heated. As usual James Riley is running his mouth and making gestures. That kid has some sort of attitude problem.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 AM   #167
Butter
Coordinator

Columbus is showing signs of life lately. At least their offense is fun to watch this year.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #168
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The team on a roll is the Houston Dynamo. Tough start to the season, but things are real good now with 515 minutes without a goal given up, and 8 games without losing.

We went to the game thursday against RBNY and it was great. Hard to not have fun when your team wins 4-0. We left Houston saturday night, but now I wish we had stayed to see the Dynamo take out DC 1-0 last night.

On a side note, we had a guy sitting a few rows in front of us (we were behind goal) who seemed a little too obsessed with Craig Waibel. So a sign about Waibel shuting down Angel is fine, but 6-7 different signs about Waibel gets kind of scary. I think he was in love with him.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #169
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Red Bulls grind out a much, much, much needed win in Colorado. They have been in a mega-slump recently. Now they have back-to-back huge games against New England and DC United. We'll learn a little more about how this Eastern Conference race is going to shake out in the next two weeks.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #170
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

MLS All-Star game tonight.

All-Stars vs. Celtic

ESPN2, 9PM Eastern.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #171
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Am I the only guy watching the all-star game? I won't be surprised, im just curious.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #172
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Nah.. I am. Sad that Beckham confirmed that he'll probably only play like 15 mins at most on Saturday.

Nice goals by Angel and Toja... but you can definately see the differences in the level of fitness by both squads.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #173
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Yeah, you're inevitably going to get MLS guys in midseason form and some team just a couple weeks into training. It's the reason they've never lost one of these matchups, even though they themselves are just a collections of guys playing together for the first time.

Ricardo Clark had a couple nice moves early. Toja and Angel also looking consitently threatening. Eddie Johnson is being himself, flashes of brilliance mixed with iffy decision-making.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #174
MJ4H
Coordinator

Watching here also.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #175
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I would have loved to see it but instead i am sitting here listening to all the truckstop cb fun. Cheap movies, cheap bjs, and the normal wackos. The game would have been bettet.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:48 PM   #176
Critch
lolzcat

I watched the MLS game and I thought it was great I just wish MLS All-Stars had scored another few goals to turn their complete and utter domination into a more convincing victory.

Great except for Tommy Smyth anyway.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:58 PM   #177
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Great except for Tommy Smyth anyway.

He is easily the least offensive member of that 3-man booth to my ears.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:56 AM   #178
Butter
Coordinator

I like Tommy Smyth. I also like that crazy accent guy they used to have on GolTV (still do, maybe?). Apparently, I'm a sucker for British idiots who like to ramble about soccer, whether or not what they say is valid.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #179
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Ray Hudson is the crazy color guy on GolTV. He's usually paired with former ESPN pbp guy Phil Schoen.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:30 PM   #180
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Anyone else watching tonight to see if Beckham plays?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:32 PM   #181
Flasch186
Coordinator

he'll play, he has too. too much riding this to not play.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #182
MrBug708
Head Coach

Yes Shaq, you built the Lakers....
Old 07-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #183
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
he'll play, he has too. too much riding this to not play.

huh?
Old 07-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #184
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
huh?

too much riding this for the MLS for him not to hit the pitch.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-21-2007, 08:49 PM   #185
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
too much riding this for the MLS for him not to hit the pitch.

I'm pretty sure the Becks fame won't die if he can't suit up in an exhibition game. This game was going to be sold out with or without him playing. If he doesn't suit up for a month, then the MLS is in trouble
Old 07-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #186
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

wtf was arnold saying?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:59 PM   #187
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Becks fame won't die if he can't suit up in an exhibition game. This game was going to be sold out with or without him playing. If he doesn't suit up for a month, then the MLS is in trouble

may not be a larger TV audience though due to the promotions and hype....he'll get on the pitch...may not "play" but he'll be out there.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #188
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Arnold did get into a pretty good ramble there, mentioning every single skill and soccer player might possibly possess. Good stuff.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:58 PM   #189
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Woohoo, Beckham is playing! The Galaxy are now the greatest soccer team ever assembled. Well, the greatest team near the bottom of the MLS table anyways.

Ouch, and Becks take a shot to the ankle as I type this. How many people in LA just crapped their pants?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #190
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I would love a shot of Alexi Lalas' face while Steve Sidwell made that tackle on Beckham.

Some combo of: :o
Old 07-21-2007, 10:47 PM   #191
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Probably more like "If Beck's injured, I will buy his contract just so I can have him sweeping up the HDC for the next four years.."
Old 07-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #192
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Woohoo, Beckham is playing! The Galaxy are now the greatest soccer team ever assembled. Well, the greatest team near the bottom of the MLS table anyways.

Ouch, and Becks take a shot to the ankle as I type this. How many people in LA just crapped their pants?

DOn't hate the MLS' previously most legendary squad
Old 07-22-2007, 10:06 PM   #193
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Blanco looked pretty damn good for Chicago today.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #194
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Damn, wish I hadn't missed that Dynamo-Revs game. 5 goals in the second half. Ching with 2 goals in about a minute I guess. De Rosario with a 27 yard shot. I was pretty certain the Dynamo lossless streak would end today, so I am happy to come away with the draw.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:29 PM   #195
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

This isn't techincally MLS since it's a SuperLiga game, but LA is currently beating Dallas' brains out. 4-0 after 18 minutes.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #196
MrBug708
Head Coach

http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/t106/index.jsp

If you want to watch a 6-5 game, here are the highlights. Plus Dallas had two goals called back in it...
Old 08-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #197
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Great game.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #198
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

It was a pretty insane game. I was just rooting for someone to win since a draw could have knocked out both teams. Even that became stressful as Dallas kept pulling 1 back late in the game. They (FCD) played great except for those horrific 19 minutes to start the game.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #199
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

The crowd tonight in Toronto made a rather boring match fairly interesting. Watching Cannon get frustrated was pretty amusing. They were definitely in his head. The chants to Donovan were funny as well. The Galaxy were very lucky to get away with a point and Harden's clear off the line was class.

I was pretty skeptical when they announced the team in Toronto, but I am glad that they put it there now. The atmosphere is crazy and by far the best in MLS.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #200
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Wanted t watch the game tonight but had to miss it.

Dynamo lost yesterday finally. Knew it would happen sometime but it sucks to see the streak end in frickin' Salt Lake.