Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2004, 10:21 AM   #151
Blackadar
Retired

HA, don't worry, I'm probably going to start up a new character as a Gnome. So I'll need your help soon.

Just a tale last night - I'll probably flesh this out for the front page later. But my guild went raiding Orc lands last night - about a dozen of us. After some initial minor skirmishes, things rapidly escallated. It ended up being about a 3 hour war with the a final, pitched huge battle outside the elvish border city of Astranar involving well over 100 characters. A good time was had by all.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:23 AM   #152
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Did you form a guild yet? I'm playing on another server, Blackhand Horde, but I'll roll a character on Lothar if you need a signature for the guild charter. BTW, it only costs 10 silver, not gold. And really helps in game communications.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #153
Blackadar
Retired

I'm part of a different guild, but I think eventually we'll get enough FOFCers to form one of our own if we wish.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #154
Anthony
Banned

i want to start one, that's part of the reason i was interested in picking up WoW. if it's only 10 silver it shouldn't be a prob. i'll look into starting one tomorrow and do the work necessary to create an FOFC guild.

we might just have enough guys.

Last edited by Anthony : 12-03-2004 at 10:35 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:35 AM   #155
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
I'm part of a different guild, but I think eventually we'll get enough FOFCers to form one of our own if we wish.

let's start a sign up right now to see how many we'll have on board:

Lothar Server FOFC Guild
1. Hell Atlantic
2. Blacky
3. Calis
4. Critch
5. Samdari
6. Mrs. Samdari
7. Lonnie
8. sabotai

Last edited by Anthony : 12-03-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:07 AM   #156
Calis
College Starter

I can definitely have a character made there to sign the charter if you need.

I still plan on sticking to the PvP server I'm on for now though, as long as PvP isn't horribly unbalanced in the game.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:29 AM   #157
Critch
lolzcat

I'll be in for the guild too. My buddy on the game has had a week vacation, he's played almost constantly, shot forward to the high 20 levels (I'm a lowly lvl19) and joined a guild (I've been holding out for a FOFC guild) so it's not as easy to join up with him.

So I've been solo-ing recently and it's not as much fun.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:33 AM   #158
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Another option since people seem to be getting very attached to their main characters on different servers would be to pick a new server, or just roll new characters on Lothar that would be part of the FOFC guild. Then there could be a FOFC night where we play those characters. This would allow people to play as the wish and still spend some time with FOFC'ers without having huge level disparities.

I'll sign it.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #159
Blackadar
Retired

I just started a new Rogue NE. Made it to level 6 in an hour.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:22 PM   #160
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie
Another option since people seem to be getting very attached to their main characters on different servers would be to pick a new server, or just roll new characters on Lothar that would be part of the FOFC guild. Then there could be a FOFC night where we play those characters. This would allow people to play as the wish and still spend some time with FOFC'ers without having huge level disparities.

I'll sign it.

COH group went through these growing pains. A Tuesday and Thursday FOF grouping at 9pm is what we got around to doing. Nice thing about CoH was that you could sidekick if you couldn't keep up with the group. Do not know how it works in WoW and I will not be finding out for a little bit.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:44 PM   #161
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
let's start a sign up right now to see how many we'll have on board:

Lothar Server FOFC Guild
1. Hell Atlantic
2. Blacky

I would be willing to join, and could convince Mrs. Sam to add a character to the cause.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:05 PM   #162
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
I'll be in for the guild too. My buddy on the game has had a week vacation, he's played almost constantly, shot forward to the high 20 levels (I'm a lowly lvl19) and joined a guild (I've been holding out for a FOFC guild) so it's not as easy to join up with him.

So I've been solo-ing recently and it's not as much fun.

it seems like a good idea, but it's only practical if we set aside a nite when we all definitely will play the game so that we all progress at the same time. not likely. there are sure to be nite when only a few can join in so you're going to have a scenario where some are higher levels than others. being that most of us are already based on Lothar i'd just leave it up to the individual to start over or not. i don't play every single nite (almost as much though), so it's not like i can powergame myself to level 30 in no time (although blacky might have that covered ).

although, WoW has this very neat feature - resting. if you "rest" your character (basically log off) while he's in the woods, in Stormwind or in an Inn - he'll start to rest. resting is basically making it so that you get extra XP for each kill (it's only a temporary thing). the longer you stay logged off the longer the resting phase lasts. if you stay logged off for a week you can get 200% extra XP per kill. it's meant as a quick way to get you caught up to everyone else.

in any event i don't see a need to make anyone start over. it's quick to level up to like 10, after that is when it takes a while. i like that about WoW.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:07 PM   #163
Anthony
Banned

updated the Guild members list above. need like 3 more.

why don't we try to decide on a guild name since it seems like it won't be too much longer before we have our minimum of 10.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:04 PM   #164
sabotai
General Manager

I'd be interested in this, but only if I'm using a secondary character. I've pretty much have gotten my main charact grounded in a guild and with my RL frineds. But I'd like to play a secondary character as my FOFC character.

As fro "power leveling", once you get passed level 18 or 20 or so, you'd be luck to advance more than 1 level in a night of playing, so I don't think we realistically have to worry about a group getting too far ahead of the others. Besides, I think a lot of us would be using secondary characters for this anyway, so those of us who have gotten quite addicted to it would only be playing as the FOFC guild guy a couple of times a week anyway.

Sign me up for the guild too. Dunno what my secondary guy will be though. I'd like to do something different (my main is a Night Elf Druid). Probably a rogue or paladin.

And I was able to catch the tail end of that war last night that Blacky's guild started. That was a LOT of fun.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:11 PM   #165
Calis
College Starter

I'll go ahead and make my guy on Lothar for whenever this gets off the ground.

Think I'll make a healing oriented Priest, as that's something I don't think I'll ever make on the PvP server. Think I already have a Priest rolled up there named Gertbeef at just about lvl 3 or so. I should have a lot of time to play this weekend, so when my friend can't play on Deathwing I'll come over with you guys.

Anyone try out any of the interface mods yet? CosmoUI is the big one, but I've been using nurfed. VERY cool little thing. They do simple things like adding another quickslot bar to the screen, which my Hunter really needed for all his skills, and it adds a clock and a lot of other neat little features like two quickbar slots that are automatically filled with your best health/mana potion for easy access.

Definitely worth checking out, neat how moddable Blizzard made their interface which I already thought was one of the best I'd seen in an MMORPG.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:17 PM   #166
Anthony
Banned

was it NPC Orcs or PC Orcs? that sounded like a lot of fun.

one thing i really, really found cool about WoW is that when you're in Stormwind or the surrounding areas, even if you're weak you can't help but feel a little "safe". i had accepted a mission to Westfall a week ago, and i crossed into that area and immdediatly felt something weird was going on there. it had a very distinctive vibe to it (a negative one). i was "disturbed" to the point where i abandoned the mission and decided to stick it out at the Forest/Stormwind City area a little longer. (i solo mostly so while i like to explore i also don't like to die).
Old 12-03-2004, 03:20 PM   #167
Calis
College Starter

Another thing that would be handy is a list of character names so we can easily tell who's who.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #168
sabotai
General Manager

HA, it was PC Orcs (and other Horde). The one bad thing about it though, since it was a normal server and not a PvP server, was that someone could just follow the other group around as long as they never entered PvP mode. For most of it, we had one or two Horde players just running with the group and we couldn't do anything about it.

But it was still fun.

I created a Dwarf Hunter on Lothat named Atenkane. Debating now if I should do Mining-Engineering ro Skinning-Leatherwork.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:29 PM   #169
sabotai
General Manager

dola,

Calis, what's the URL for the CosmoUI?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:32 PM   #170
Calis
College Starter

hxxp://www.cosmosui.org/

Here's the one I use, it's a lot simpler and smaller. Just didn't like all the extra cosmo baggage I wasn't using, even though I could turn most of it off.

hxxp://www.nurfed.com/
Old 12-03-2004, 04:35 PM   #171
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
HA, it was PC Orcs (and other Horde). The one bad thing about it though, since it was a normal server and not a PvP server, was that someone could just follow the other group around as long as they never entered PvP mode. For most of it, we had one or two Horde players just running with the group and we couldn't do anything about it.

But it was still fun.

I created a Dwarf Hunter on Lothat named Atenkane. Debating now if I should do Mining-Engineering ro Skinning-Leatherwork.

that's odd, why run around and follow the Horde if you aren't gonna turn on your PvP flag and fight? what do you actually do if you're not actively participating in the battle?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:41 PM   #172
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
that's odd, why run around and follow the Horde if you aren't gonna turn on your PvP flag and fight? what do you actually do if you're not actively participating in the battle?

They were probably telling the other Horde players where we were and vice versa.

Thanks Calis

Last edited by sabotai : 12-03-2004 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:06 PM   #173
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Why not start the guild on one of the lesser populated servers? I mean, after all, the fun will be from playing with the FOFC people not from other character interactions and you can save those for secondary and tertiary characters.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-03-2004 at 06:07 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 04:32 AM   #174
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Hey, i'm pretty far along on another server.. and really only have time to devote to one character.. but if you all have any issues with a quest.. don't know what to do.. etc.. just pm me or aim or something.. and i'll help you all out..

I beta'ed every low end quest to 40's for entire human area.. some of ironforge.. and alot of the wetlands and beyond..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:03 AM   #175
Danny
Head Coach

I currently have a level 26 Warrior on Silver Hand because that's where the OOTP WOW group decided to play. But since starting my character, that guild was scrapped and we were going to join another guild, but I have never seen the guild leader online and have had no interaction with any of the people from OOTP either.

So, you can count me in for whatever is decided.

A couple questions though. Why play on a Normal server instead of PVP? Also, as SI stated, why not join one of the lesser populated servers?

When things are decided you guys can post what class you're going with as I may choose whatever appears to be the most needed.

Last edited by Danny : 12-04-2004 at 07:39 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:54 PM   #176
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I currently have a Horde character on another server, but may start an Alliance guy soon. I'd be interested in joining up.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:56 AM   #177
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I just played tonight for 3.5 hours on Elune. It's my first night with a MMORPG, and it's a blast. Anyone thinking of getting WoW should definitely take the plunge. Quite a blast I had playing with only one buddy. Can't wait til tomorrow. My character name on there is "Leyna."
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:10 PM   #178
Anthony
Banned

i really don't like the lack of teamwork in thsi game. very diferent from Avlis (Neverwinter Nights RPG server). there's no semblence of roleplaying at all. this is pretty much a hack and slash game with real people. i suppose all MMORPG's are like this.

soloing is very possible in this game, but it gets rather boring after a while. there's only a few places you can go if you want to solo. the rest is extremely hard. i tried to travel far, but then all of a sudden the NPC monsters almost doubled in lvl. people just run around trying to do their own thing. no fun. i don't like to powergame, it becomes a grind and it gets repetitive - i like to take my time and explore and such.

people run by so quickly you can't ask a question at all. it's like everyone is racing to get to the highest level that they're too busy to play the game. not sure if i'm gonna renew my account after the first free month. i don't think MMORPG's are for me.

it's a great game, btw. the genre is just not for me.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:55 PM   #179
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
i really don't like the lack of teamwork in thsi game. very diferent from Avlis (Neverwinter Nights RPG server). there's no semblence of roleplaying at all. this is pretty much a hack and slash game with real people. i suppose all MMORPG's are like this.

soloing is very possible in this game, but it gets rather boring after a while. there's only a few places you can go if you want to solo. the rest is extremely hard. i tried to travel far, but then all of a sudden the NPC monsters almost doubled in lvl. people just run around trying to do their own thing. no fun. i don't like to powergame, it becomes a grind and it gets repetitive - i like to take my time and explore and such.

people run by so quickly you can't ask a question at all. it's like everyone is racing to get to the highest level that they're too busy to play the game. not sure if i'm gonna renew my account after the first free month. i don't think MMORPG's are for me.

it's a great game, btw. the genre is just not for me.

Interesting, because I thought much of the same at one point.

But now that I have some buddies out there, I'm finding the game an absolute blast. There's a ton to see and do out there, but you need to be increasing in levels to do it. I found that fighters are totally gimped, so I went back and started again. I was going to start with a diff. race, but because everyone I knew was pretty much a NE and I wanted to power-level to get back to where my warrior was (23rd level), I decided to make a rogue NE.

Power-leveled through the newbie area and got to level 10 in about 3 hours. It was a bit of a grind from 10-15, no doubt. But I got a friend to help thorugh level 16 and even though I went back on my own, I flew through from 16-20.

Made it to 22nd level tonight (it essentially took 2 days - not too shabby) and I have a bunch of guild-mates, saw the deepest part of Blackfathom and have had an absolute blast. It is really easy to see why a rogue can beat a warrior, hands down. My 22nd level rogue could kick my 23rd warrior's ass any day of the week. I solo mobs 2 levels higher with little problem with my rogue.

HA, if you start as a NE on Lothar and get through the newbie area (I can help with the quests via this board), I'll help power-level you to get you up to speed. Since I know the quests, where they are and how to do them, it should be fairly easy to get you into the high teens in a short time frame. You will have to grind a bit on a level or two, but it won't be for too long. I'd recommend a rogue, BTW, as they are the easiest solo class for a NE.

Finally, I would also recommend you join a guild once you get to level 15+. If you'd like, I can have you join one of the two I am in. You'll find it's much easier to get people together to go hunting/exploring. Again, if you can get through the newbie NE area and to Darkshore, I WILL HELP YOU through the major challenge levels of 14-20. The world really starts to open up at level 20.

It's a huge world out there, I can't wait to see more of it.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:30 PM   #180
NevStar
High School Varsity

I picked this up on Friday & was up until 5 am.

Count me in to be interested in creating a secondary character for an FOFC night.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:34 AM   #181
Anthony
Banned

i started over as a Dwarven Paladin.

whole new ballgame. scratch my earlier thoughts. i played for about 2 hours and am already lvl 6. i did it all soloing. not once did i feel too scared to go to a particular area. i have the ability to wear armor and i dish out a lot of damage. jsut now i took on 3 trolls by myself and won. that wouldn't have been possible as a warlock.

my only gripe was not that i couldn't solo - it was almost the opposite. my feeling is if i'm going up against baddies alone and i see someone of similar lvl doing the same thing - i offer to group up and make everyone's job easier. but everyone seems to be into their own thing. just gets a little frustrating when you want to stop to say something to someone and they just run by (happens 99% of the time).

i appreciate the offer blacky, but i was looking forward to grouping with some FOFC guys, like how the CoH group does it. i'm holding out to start something with the FOFC crowd but i have yet to group with anyone from here. at least now i can lvl up quickly to be able to travel by myself up north to where you and Critch usually are.

nevertheless, i was a bit quick in making my judgement. i'm enjoying the game a whole lot again, it just took a change of character and class. the game is awesome. huge world, lots to see and do. just gotta get to lvl 20+ to enjoy most of it.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:44 AM   #182
Danny
Head Coach

Based on consensus from the WoW forums, the classes rank similiar to this on the Alliance side. For the Horde, you can replace Paladin with Shaman at the top.

Paladin
Rogue

Hunter
Warlock
Mage
Druid

Priest
Warrior

I myself am playing a warrior and they are a tad underpowered, but other than the Paladin and Rogue classes, I don't feel too weak.

I am playing on Silver Hand, the pacific RP server and I find the people on the RP server are nice and willing to help out. As long as I am playing at a reasonable hour, I have no trouble finding a group to do an elite quest with.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:34 AM   #183
Blackadar
Retired

HA, at some point between levels 11-17, you'll find that you have to grind to level. It happens to all characters - you just go and kill, kill and kill until you level out of it. Become and extinction machine. Of course, a pally is the most overpowered char in the game, so it may be a bit easier for you. Just don't be disappointed when Blizzard nerfs you a bit.

You should find that you can make level 11 and out of the newbie area in about 4-5 hours of gameplay, max.

Once you make 14, head to Dun Modor and give me a ring. I'll help you level with some of those quests and then take you to Darkshore for the rest of the exp you need to get to 20. At that point, you'll be ready to really start exploring.

Danny, too bad you're not on the Lothar server. I'd love to duel you with my rogue - you'd then see how woefully underpowered your fighter really is.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #184
Anthony
Banned

blacky: will do.

i like the Dwarf area much better anyway. snow covered trails, snow-topped trees and timber volves. much prettier location. my Dwarf Paladin is a wrecking machine. i don't know what took me so long to make the switch.

in case anyone wants to put me on their friends list:
"Astoria"
lvl 6 Dwarf Paladin

if we ever get a FOFC group going i can always switch to my lvl 13 Warlock, i haven't deleted him. magic-types are a must-have in any group.

Last edited by Anthony : 12-06-2004 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:04 PM   #185
sabotai
General Manager

I've been having fun with my hunter, Atenkane. I got him up to level 10 last night and learned how to tame an animal. Very cool and makes it a lot easier. Before if more than one beast attacked me, I was pretty much done, even at levels lower than me. Now that I have my Ice Claw Bear at my side, it's time to kick some major ass.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #186
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
I've been having fun with my hunter, Atenkane. I got him up to level 10 last night and learned how to tame an animal. Very cool and makes it a lot easier. Before if more than one beast attacked me, I was pretty much done, even at levels lower than me. Now that I have my Ice Claw Bear at my side, it's time to kick some major ass.

I think a Hunter is my next class to try. But I need to get one of my chars up above 40 before I do so.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:03 PM   #187
Lonnie
High School Varsity

As far as grinding from 11-17, I have to disagree. You just have to travel. So as an alliance you would just get yourself over to the other starting areas and get tons more quests there. I did this, but as a horde character. I did all I could in the Barrens, then took the zepplin over to Silverpine forest where the undead start and got a ton more quests.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:22 PM   #188
The_herd
College Starter

How I see the classes so far. Roughly in order of effectiveness, but very loosely. I don't have enough of an opinion on some classes to really rank them.

Playing a Paladin is almost like cheating at this point. After dueling a couple and being in groups with them, hands down the best class in the game right now. Probably just a bit ahead of the Shaman. Probably going to be the first class to be hit with the dreaded nerf-bat.

Rogue. My class. Pretty balanced, nice, fun class to play. If spec'd correctly, could be a bit overpowered in PvP situations. This is mostly people using the Combat talents to become similar to the Zerker class in DA. The Combat talents will probably be nerfed leading to a lot of re-specing. In general, they do the most melee damage of any class, but also tend to grab aggro, which leads to very quick death. I'm going almost all Subtlety and Assassasination. Not the most popular combination, but the most fun (IMO) and wonderfully effective if you know what you're doing.

Warlock's are difficult to play, but can be very effective as both a solo class and in group play. Don't know a whole lot about this class, although they are handy to have around.

Mages are simply awesome when it comes to producing damage. I was in a group with 3 mages and they simply cleaned up just about everything before I could even get a hit in.

Hunter. Surprisingly rare class. I really expected to see a lot more hunters in this game considering the fact that hunter pets are quite formidable and a lot of people seem to like ranged classes. I don't know much about them since I've only grouped with a couple. Calis is probably the Subject Matter Expert here.

Priest. I love 'em, but wouldn't play one. I simply can't take a passive approach to game like this. Priests are pretty much the same as any other game like this (Outside of DA, in which their supreme CC made them awesome in PvE and PvP).

Warrior. Played one to 13 and liked it, but quickly realized they were incredibly underpowered. I like having them in groups because they can take a pounding, but they can have problems holding aggro. They need to have a better taunt. Damage output is average at best. The best Warrior spec right now is a defensive warrior, but no one wants to spec that way and I don't blame them. The last OB patch killed them. Warriors need rage to be effective and it can be hard to get it in groups.

Druid. Solid solo class that struggles to shine in a group. They don't have anything that another class doesn't do better. I've died too many times because a Druid was our primary healer and they don't do enough damage to make a big difference. With only 5 spots in a group, the only time I want one in a group is when I can't find a Priest.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:39 PM   #189
Anthony
Banned

i can see how Warlocks would be awesome in groups. when you get a voidwalker they do a pretty good job at taunting and drawing the beasts in. it's when there's more than one beast - that's where the problem lies. Warlocks need to lay back in a group, cast their spells that wreck havoc over time (they aren't instant damage like probably what a mage can do). Warlocks do have the Fear spell which makes beasts run away, but it's only for 10 seconds at a time. if you get into trouble and go up against 3 or more beasts you spend more time casting fear and the Voidwalker has such little damage. only a matter of time till you die.

Paladin has been a blast. renewed my interest in the game. at least i'm not stuck if i have to solo (although i get cocky and bite off more than i can chew).
Old 12-06-2004, 04:52 PM   #190
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_herd
Druid. Solid solo class that struggles to shine in a group. They don't have anything that another class doesn't do better. I've died too many times because a Druid was our primary healer and they don't do enough damage to make a big difference. With only 5 spots in a group, the only time I want one in a group is when I can't find a Priest.

As the resident druid here, I'll chime in. What you say is mostly true, if only because a lot of people don't know how to play a druid. For me, I've been loading up my talent points into Feral Combat, which basically means if I'm in a group, I'll hold my own as a tank. In fact, on one of my VC quest runs, the priest was amazed at how much a beating I could take in my Bear Form.

But I'd suck as a primary healer for a group. My healing spells are still pretty powerful. The problem that druids have with healing is the casting time for their spells and the having their spells interrupted. However, if the druid puts most of their talent into the Restoration tree of talents, they can become a very good healer.

Likewise, if they put their talents in Balance, they become a really good offensive magic user.

I think the main reason you run into trouble with druids as healers is that most are probably putting their talents into Feral Combat or Balance.

EDIT: Not to mention that Druids have some pretty sweet buffs and debuffs.

Last edited by sabotai : 12-06-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:07 PM   #191
Lonnie
High School Varsity

My main right now is a Tauren Druid on Blackhand, I'll agree with all that. I get stuck with healer duty with some of my guild groups. When people die I just say well that's what you get when you want me to heal. So far it's feral and balance for me.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:08 PM   #192
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
As the resident druid here, I'll chime in. What you say is mostly true, if only because a lot of people don't know how to play a druid. For me, I've been loading up my talent points into Feral Combat, which basically means if I'm in a group, I'll hold my own as a tank. In fact, on one of my VC quest runs, the priest was amazed at how much a beating I could take in my Bear Form.

But I'd suck as a primary healer for a group. My healing spells are still pretty powerful. The problem that druids have with healing is the casting time for their spells and the having their spells interrupted. However, if the druid puts most of their talent into the Restoration tree of talents, they can become a very good healer.

Likewise, if they put their talents in Balance, they become a really good offensive magic user.

I think the main reason you run into trouble with druids as healers is that most are probably putting their talents into Feral Combat or Balance.

EDIT: Not to mention that Druids have some pretty sweet buffs and debuffs.

This is what I suspected was the problem. People simply not playing them correctly or spec'd wrong. The buffs, I can say, are pretty nice, but I think most people are trying to be a well rounded healer/tank and that doesn't work. In MMORPGs it's better to be good in one area than ok in many. Just the way it works. You can't split your points up evenly between the your 3 talent fields or you miss out on the high-level abilities that bring value to the character.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:09 PM   #193
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
My main right now is a Tauren Druid on Blackhand, I'll agree with all that. I get stuck with healer duty with some of my guild groups. When people die I just say well that's what you get when you want me to heal. So far it's feral and balance for me.

Ahhhh, this brings to mind another thing that bothers me. Druids that pass themselves off as healers when they aren't spec'd as such. When you say your group is looking for a healer and a druid comes along and can't keep your group healed, it's a problem.

At least you are up front with the group before hand.

Last edited by The_herd : 12-06-2004 at 05:12 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:19 PM   #194
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
In MMORPGs it's better to be good in one area than ok in many. Just the way it works.

Exaclty, that's why I'm just dumping all my points into Feral Combat. For healing, I'll use my alchemy to make Healing Potions.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:29 PM   #195
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

I have a level 30 Hunter on the Blackhand server. I am having a great time so far. Totally different than EQ was/is.
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:01 PM   #196
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Hunter. Surprisingly rare class. I really expected to see a lot more hunters in this game considering the fact that hunter pets are quite formidable and a lot of people seem to like ranged classes. I don't know much about them since I've only grouped with a couple. Calis is probably the Subject Matter Expert here.

Ahh, I'd actually thought I saw quite a lot of Hunters, but maybe I just notice them more because of the pets.

I love the Hunter, awesome class and having a pet is a blast. They do a great job of keeping aggro(Something that never really worked in Dark Age), and I hear the Raptors and such do great damage. I just moved from an Ice Claw Bear to a Black something or other bear, and they don't do much dmg, but they can tank like nobody's business.

Maybe the best solo class in the game, but unfortunately we don't bring a whole lot groups compared to some other classes. So it might be harder to get into groups, but so far I haven't ran into that.

Highly recommend it though, you get pets, great ranged dmg, and decent melee if you spec in it.

Hear we're not so hot 1v1 PvP, but from my little bit of experience in larger group vs. group combat we can be QUITE annoying, which is really more what I'm looking for anyway.

So far I'm loving Mages, as I grouped up with a couple last night to do the Chok'Sul quest in Loch Modan(Big Ogre King dude). Polymorph is just great for Crowd Control, and they seem to do disgusting damage. Class I might check out if I get bored with my Hunter.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:36 PM   #197
Danny
Head Coach

On my server, hunter is actually the greatest percentage of the population most of the time. I have a UI addition that lets me take the census data of who is online in my faction and see numbers of the classes and races.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:57 PM   #198
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I'm a hunter and my roomy is a warlock. This is the most fun I've had with an RPG in a while. This is my first MMORPG and I'm digging it. The scope and size of the game just blows my mind. Hopefully it continues to hold my interest as I go into my 4th day. I'm level 9 I think on Elune.

I'd be up for another character with fellow FOFC'ers. Maybe on a less crowded server?...
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:00 AM   #199
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
As far as grinding from 11-17, I have to disagree. You just have to travel. So as an alliance you would just get yourself over to the other starting areas and get tons more quests there. I did this, but as a horde character. I did all I could in the Barrens, then took the zepplin over to Silverpine forest where the undead start and got a ton more quests.

Ah, but there's the rub. As a level 11 character, the Night Elf journey to any other Alliance race starting area is long, expensive and treacherous. Night Elves are really on their own little world until they can make the trip through the Wetlands (levels 20-27).

HA may be able to do it as a Dwarf - just take the train to Stormwind - but that's not a good option for a Night Elf. Hence the "grind" comment. And it's usually only for a level (or 2 at most).
Old 12-07-2004, 07:02 AM   #200
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
I'm a hunter and my roomy is a warlock. This is the most fun I've had with an RPG in a while. This is my first MMORPG and I'm digging it. The scope and size of the game just blows my mind. Hopefully it continues to hold my interest as I go into my 4th day. I'm level 9 I think on Elune.

I'd be up for another character with fellow FOFC'ers. Maybe on a less crowded server?...

How busy is Lothar? I've not had a problem with queues or anything like that and that's where many of us already play.