stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #152
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't usually call anyone
Old 08-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #153
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So this morning I powered on my fully-charged phone at 7am. Just short of 5 hours in, I'm at 46% battery having done nothing but take 2 calls for about 3 minutes and 10 minutes and checked emails every so often.

Here's what I'm showing:

Android OS: 44% (!!!)
Voice calls: 17%
Exchange Services: 12%
Screen: 7%
Email: 5%
Cell standby: 4%
Phone 4%
Phone idle: 3%
Android System: 2%

This is with one "active application" (email) - which is different, of course, from the buried-in-the-settings running applications of which there are, again, about 3 dozen.

WTF?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-15-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #154
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, your phone is fucked.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #155
Ksyrup

And for the second straight day, at about 5 hours in, it shut competely down. When I pulled the battery and restarted it, the battery is now down to 22%. Looks like I'll be calling again here shortly. Can'wait for them to blame this one on all the apps I have running.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #156
Ksyrup

Based on more of my own information than anything they could tell me, it definitely sounds like an ICS issue. The only thing left to try before they would send me a new phone is a complete factory reset, so I'm going to do that. It will wipe out ICS, which is good. I hate having to lose everything, though. I only have a handful of pictures, whih I downloaded, and we saved my contacts to Gmail (they should sync wih mywork email anyway), but I'm talking about all the apps and stuff. Hate starting over.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-15-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #157
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Id be awfully assertive on your next phone call about getting a new phone.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #158
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

The apps are fairly straight forward I think. All the paid ones will be on your account and just have to press install. Id maybe write down the free apps to easier search and download quickly

The pain that i hate is having to do the first run through on all the apps but honestly it shouldnt take more than 30 minutes.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #159
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Android is winning based on sales but Apple will also have that niche.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/08/tech...d=HP_Highlight

Apple has 17% of the revenue, but 70+% of the profits! I think they'll take that "niche".

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/03/...phone-vendors/
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #160
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I haven't heard of it being an ICS issue. Basically, lots of devices these days have ICS and usually it tends to help battery life, not fuck it up.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-15-2012 at 01:20 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #161
Ksyrup

I've seen a bunch of references in articles and forums about battery draining isues with ICS. But nothing specific as to what's causing it. I guess I'll find out for sure after I reset, but I'm pretty sure this all started happening after I upgraded the OS. There weren't THAT many noticeable upgrades with ICS anyway, so I don't think it's that big a deal.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #162
Ksyrup

Here, check this out from December 2011:

Google Groups

Different phone, but on ICS 4.0.3. One of the posters showed these stats:

Android OS - 46%
- CPU total 58min
- Keep Awake 1hr 44min
Screen - 25%
- Time on 29min
Phone idle - 10%
Cell Standby - 8%
(Several other all less than 5%)

Look familiar? Right now my phone is at 5 hours 2 minutes on battery, and Android OS is at 40% with a stay awake time of 2 hours 59 minutes.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #163
rjolley
College Starter

Ksyrup, are you on 4.0.3? Looks like there were some fixes in 4.0.4 for an Android OS bug. Not sure if it was a memory issue or not, didn't see many details on the page I was on.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #164
Ksyrup

Yes. AT&T just approved 4.0.3 in July and I just tried to update, but it says that's the latest version. Is it a recent version?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-15-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #165
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Here, check this out from December 2011:

Google Groups

Different phone, but on ICS 4.0.3. One of the posters showed these stats:

Android OS - 46%
- CPU total 58min
- Keep Awake 1hr 44min
Screen - 25%
- Time on 29min
Phone idle - 10%
Cell Standby - 8%
(Several other all less than 5%)

Look familiar? Right now my phone is at 5 hours 2 minutes on battery, and Android OS is at 40% with a stay awake time of 2 hours 59 minutes.

I'm not entirely sure that proves ICS is the culprit. Before I had to replace my Thunderbolt, it was showing stats like Android OS and Phone higher than screen level & it was on Gingerbread. Basically when the numbers go that way it means your phone is messed up. AFAIK, its not an OS specific thing.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #166
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm not entirely sure that proves ICS is the culprit. Before I had to replace my Thunderbolt, it was showing stats like Android OS and Phone higher than screen level & it was on Gingerbread. Basically when the numbers go that way it means your phone is messed up. AFAIK, its not an OS specific thing.

Its possible that you installed something which was triggering OS level activities and causing the percentage to rise.

For instance if I write a new application which continually requests the OS tell me something its entirely possible that the 'request' duration might be allocated to OS rather than my application (this is speculation tbh as its not something I've looked into myself, but in general with supporting android I've found a LOT of problems are user inflicted - its a powerful OS but its like Linux its damned easy to shoot yourself in the foot using it ).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #167
Ksyrup

Well, we'll find out in the next 24-48 hours, I guess. I have to wait until after 5 to reset because my only connection to one of my work email addresses is on the phone, since I'm working from home today. So they'll have to reconfigure the phone to get my email tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #168
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's true... I didn't think of a potential rogue application causing the issues.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #169
Ksyrup

So I guess I'll need to install new apps a couple at a time and keep track of what I'm installing each day in case it starts happening again.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #170
DanGarion
Coordinator

I didn't read everything regarding your issue, but have you completely wiped your phone and reset it to defaults?

Settings - Backup and Reset - Factory Data Reset?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #171
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Yes. AT&T just approved 4.0.3 in July and I just tried to update, but it says that's the latest version. Is it a recent version?

4.0.3 may be the newest version that AT&T provides, but there is an 4.0.4 release as well.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #172
Ksyrup

Yeah, I found info about it. Considering AT&T just rolled out 4.0.3 about 45 days ago, I doubt 4.0.4 is coming any time soon.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #173
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I didn't read everything regarding your issue, but have you completely wiped your phone and reset it to defaults?

Settings - Backup and Reset - Factory Data Reset?

I'll be doing that later today. It will eliminate ICS, of course, so if that is the issue, it should go away. But I guess I won't know for sure until I've added back all of the apps I use, because it might be caused by one of them (although I can't think of many apps I've added in the past couple of months - most of them I grabbed pretty early on).
Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #174
rjolley
College Starter

Looking at XDA, it's a problem with 4.0.3 and some phones. They do mention an issue with the Dolphin browser as well. Are you using it?

Some say a factory reset helps.

http://www.google.com/cse?q=4.0.3+ba...ain&gsc.page=1

Last edited by rjolley : 08-15-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #175
Ksyrup

I don't know what that is, so I'm going to say no.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #176
rjolley
College Starter

The Dolphin browser is a web browser on Android. Does the job pretty well.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #177
Ksyrup

Ha! That was interesting. I went to do a factory reset and it told me that I had to delete my Samsung account first. Um...what Samsung account? Try it a few more times and it keeps telling me the same thing. I call AT&T back to have them walk me through the reset, and literally 3 seconds after I describe it the lady tells me she'll have to get Samsung on the phone because she's never heard of that before. No attempt to figure it out, no putting me on hold to ask someone...she just dials Samsung.

OK, we get the Samsung chick on the line, I describe the problem, and SHE tells me she's never heard of that before and needs to put us on hold. At this point, AT&T lady starts laughing. Three minutes later, Samsung chick comes back on and explains that it's some sort of failsafe to make sure no one accidentally wipes their phone. But she's never heard of it before. So I ask her if it's basically the stupid button. That gets AT&T lady downright giggling.

So Samsung chick tells me we have to wipe my "Samsung account" info. She takes me into my apps, I find the account, and it doesn't have the options that Samsung chick expected. I can either force stop it or uninstall. No wipe. She's perplexed. AT&T lady is gasping for air at this point. So we power the phone down, pull the battery, put it back in, and do a hard reset with the phone powered off. That does the trick.

Phone's back up, and I'll monitor the battery, but... the damn phone auto-installed every single app I had on there without me even knowing it. So either the issue is with ICS, or it's an app problem and when the battery drain happens again, I'll probably get a new phone out of it.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #178
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
auto-installed every single app I had on there without me even knowing it. So either the issue is with ICS, or it's an app problem and when the battery drain happens again, I'll probably get a new phone out of it.

So you know for the future - All you need to do is uncheck google sync right before flashing your new rom. Apps will not come back automaticaly but will still show up on googleplay as purchased so you can download and install them when you want to.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 08-15-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #179
Ksyrup

Well, so far things are much improved. Still don't know the cause, but my guess is it's definitely whatever caused the Android OS to stay awake. This morning, the phone's been on for just over 2 hours and the "stay awake" time is less than 20 minutes. The battery is at 88% and that was starting with it at about 95% when I turned it on this morning.

But, I don't know if that was just the OS doing it or an app. I haven't added widgets or anything like that as I used before. I'll give it until tonight before I start customizing it.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #180
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
But, I don't know if that was just the OS doing it or an app. I haven't added widgets or anything like that as I used before. I'll give it until tonight before I start customizing it.

Widgets (esp. custom ones) are just the sort of 'app' which tend to muck up battery usage .... something as simple as a 'weather' widget can seriously screw up battery usage if it polls online semi-frequently for updates for instance.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #181
Ksyrup

Good news so far - yesterday the battery lasted all day, and I recharged it to 100% last night so I could observe it again today. As of now, it's been on for 5 hours 35 minutes, it's been in "stay awake" mode for only 38 minutes, and the battery's at 87%. And this is with several widgets installed and working. I'm definitely thinking it was ICS that was causing the battery drain/overheat.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #182
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Good news so far - yesterday the battery lasted all day, and I recharged it to 100% last night so I could observe it again today. As of now, it's been on for 5 hours 35 minutes, it's been in "stay awake" mode for only 38 minutes, and the battery's at 87%. And this is with several widgets installed and working. I'm definitely thinking it was ICS that was causing the battery drain/overheat.

Wait, when you reset to factory defaults you no longer have ICS? That's weird...
Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #183
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Wait, when you reset to factory defaults you no longer have ICS? That's weird...

Yeah I'd have thought 'factory defaults' would comprise of ICS default installation if you have it installed already.

Definitely the case for a lot of devices eg. from my Acer Tablet support site:
Note that the reset does not change the current operating system that has been flashed onto your ROM. For example, if you are running ICS (4.0.3), the tablet will stay on ICS, regardless of whether or not an earlier version of Android came pre-installed on the device. The OS software itself is not removed or changed by the procedure, but only temporary OS data, cache and user data are cleared. This causes the tablet to boot up to the initial setup screen, where you will have to again set up your wifi, log into google, etc.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 08-17-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #184
Ksyrup

That was the whole point of doing the factory reset. The factory reset put the phone back to where it was when I bought it - Gingerbread. ICS wasn't available until early July on AT&T.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #185
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Yeah I'd have thought 'factory defaults' would comprise of ICS default installation if you have it installed already.

My Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT 9100 International version) kept ICS after a factory reset.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #186
Ksyrup

Hmm...mine is definitely not the same as it was before. Even the swipe screen is different - the text is in a different place. Another problem (mostly cosmetic, so I never really cared) I had with ICS was swiping screen-to-screen would move the blue screen under the apps. That's not happening anymore, either. Honestly, I didn't notice many changes between GB and ICS, so I'm not sure what else got reset to factory (or didn't get reset).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-17-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #187
Galaxy
Coordinator

Do you think the premium will be worth it for the iPhone 5, or should I go with a iPhone 4S when it gets a price cut when the iPhone comes out?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #188
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Do you think the premium will be worth it for the iPhone 5, or should I go with a iPhone 4S when it gets a price cut when the iPhone comes out?

The iPhone 5 will have 4G LTE on Verizon's network so if you have Verizon I'd say wait for the new iPhone. The iPhone 5 will have a larger screen, a faster processor and a better camera. Functionally it should be very similar to the iPhone 4S though.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #189
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The trade in value for the 5 will be much higher than that of the 4S(in 2 years). Plus with all the new accessories(cables, etc) possibly changing for the 5, I would just buy that one. IOS will probably run significantly better on the new one as well.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #190
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't know copyright legalese but think this will really hurt Samsung. I'm good with it though, I do think companies piggy backed off Apples ingenuity.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/08/.../?iid=HP_River

Congrats Steve, you were right.

Jury Awards $1 Billion to Apple in Samsung Patent Case - NYTimes.com
Quote:
A jury awarded Apple more than $1 billion in damages after finding that Samsung infringed a series of Apple patents on smartphones and tablet computers, in a closely watched court case that could have broad implications for the mobile business.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #191
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
"It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices," the company [Samsung] said in a written statement.

Then fucking come up with your own innovation that doesn't "willfully" infringe upon patents.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 08-24-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added a word from the ruling
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #192
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Then fucking come up with your own innovation that doesn't "willfully" infringe upon patents.

Because we all know that Apple truly made everything these patents support...
Old 08-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #193
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Some of these things are incredibly broad. And it's not like Apple came up with rounded corners on a phone.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #194
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Some of these things are incredibly broad. And it's not like Apple came up with rounded corners on a phone.

I imagine the actual patent filed is more in depth than that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #195
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Someone coold find links, I remember seeing a bunch of silly patents. How to unlock a screen type nonsense. How to click on a phone number and have it dial, etc.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #196
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Patent laws in this country are rather stupid.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #197
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Not over by a long shot - thats just a home court win which was a given frankly, in a similar manner 'Samsung' won their case against Apple in Korea ..... expect appeals across the board and the real winners to be the lawyers, the real losers to be customers who are seeing innovations and improvements stifled.

(personally I hate bloody tech patents - especially the trivial shite which is often used in the 'mobile wars' ... frankly a lot of the items raised have prior art against them and should just be written off instantly imho)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #198
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Unfortunately in many cases they aren't particularly - the 'bounce off the last page when you swipe' one for instance ... not only is it trivial to implement but its got prior art against it by various prior devices, its just Apple were the first to 'patent it'.

There are some really weird patents waiting to bite people - as an example heres one which SEGA own to do with arrows pointing the way in driving games ..

Patent Arcade: Case Analysis: Sega v. Fox

I'm still waiting with baited breath for an obsolete computer corporation to remember they patented clicking on icons
Old 08-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #199
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It is, but a lot of the things are quite broad and sort of things that are tough to leave out of any phone. While I don't think companies should blatantly rip off others, I also think the patent wars going on is just going to stifle technology.

Take for instance the pinch and zoom which was found to infringe. Sure it was innovative for Apple to put on a device, but is it really something that no other company would have come up with? How many ways are there to zoom in and out on a touchscreen without pinching? Just feels like we're setting ourselves up for an era where companies file a gazillion patents and are scared to infringe on others leading to subpar technology and products.

The irony of this whole thing though is that Apple build their name by stealing from Xerox.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #200
Galaxy
Coordinator

Kind of silly that Apple couldn't beat Microsoft in basically a similar lawsuit (for computers), but they got this.

Business | Apple-Microsoft Lawsuit Fizzles To A Close -- `Nothing Left' To Fight About | Seattle Times Newspaper