Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #151
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
The other 25% of the programming can be stuff like 30 for 30 and special interest stories about sports history. If there was a network out there that just brought back what made ESPN great in its heyday, then I think the audience would certainly be there.

I was thinking about Classic Sports (and then ESPN Classic) the other day. Loved that - but then I always liked doing things like going through old Encyclopedia Year Books. I never watch ESPN News. I think I'd at least spend some time watching CSN. I know I would spend more time watching NFLN if they covered more of the old NFL Films stuff (what I do watch from them - outside of games - is typically A Football Life).
Old 11-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #152
Suicane75
Coordinator

These uniforms are atrocious.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #153
cuervo72
Head Coach

I actually like the gold jerseys and have always liked the Titans light blues. The JAX helmet is still ridiculous though, and monochrome sucks balls. And they have GOT to do something about the effing sweat boxes.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #154
digamma
Torchbearer

The blue on blue makes them look like Smurfs.

I don't mind the gold. I think they'd look good with white pants.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #155
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I was thinking about Classic Sports (and then ESPN Classic) the other day. Loved that - but then I always liked doing things like going through old Encyclopedia Year Books. I never watch ESPN News. I think I'd at least spend some time watching CSN. I know I would spend more time watching NFLN if they covered more of the old NFL Films stuff (what I do watch from them - outside of games - is typically A Football Life).

I bought quite a bit of both News and Classic once upon a time. News exists on cume (the number of people who watch a little bit) rather than rating (the number of people watching at a given moment). It's not great but at least it's something. The ratings for the two were usually pretty similar but Classic didn't even have the cume.

News largely exists so that ESPN has cheap spots (or free bonus spots) to give away to advertisers.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #156
cuervo72
Head Coach

And a place for overflow programming too, I guess. Like when 4.5 hour SEC games are bumping whatever was supposed to come on next on ESPN proper.

Maybe I haven't looked at this too recently; going by my guide half their programming looks like tv versions of radio shows and rehashes of First Take. Not even news anymore.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #157
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok, wait - Classic DOES still exist in some form??

ESPN TV Listings - ESPN
Old 11-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #158
bhlloy
Coordinator

News is my go to for mindless daytime background noise when the alternative is around the horn or first take or any other of the asinine analyst shows they put on in the middle of the day. If I'm not really watching it I can usually get a few rotations of the same news stories before I have to put something else on
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #159
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

My Jags win baby

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:41 PM   #160
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
The blue on blue makes them look like Smurfs.

I don't mind the gold. I think they'd look good with white pants.

That was gold? They looked like the Arizona Wranglers, though somehow not nearly as good.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #161
Thomkal
Head Coach

it might be about to come crashing down on Jameis Winston:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston threatens to sue CNN over documentary
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #162
Thomkal
Head Coach

Speaking of all over:

Colin Kaepernick of San Francisco 49ers placed on season-ending IR
Old 11-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #163
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston threatens to sue CNN over documentary

He has nothing to worry about. the NFL is A-OK with rapists, child abusers, woman beaters and probably even murderers playing in their league.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #164
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Quote:
"The Hunting Ground" received positive reviews after its Sundance premiere but since has been the target of criticism by some for being unfair. The letter from Winston's lawyer states that the documentary omits some exculpatory evidence and "manipulates, misstates or simply omits facts to present a false narrative." The letter also points to emails from one of the film's producers in which she said she was "in the corner of advocacy for victims" and therefore did not see a "need to get the perpetrator's side," as she was not a journalist.

Ugh...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #165
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ravens getting decimated with injuries-Forsett hurt and Flacco has torn his knee-season ending injury.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #166
Thomkal
Head Coach

14 teams have used backup QB's this season.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:13 PM   #168
Radii
Head Coach

10-0! It was great to see a truly dominating performance as well.
Radii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #169
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What's worse, Rams offense or Missouri's?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #170
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Ohio State's?
Old 11-22-2015, 05:25 PM   #171
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Nice to see the Lions get back to back wins.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #172
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I have redzone and as a Rams fan I have to say it is almost useless. Their offense is so putrid they're never in the redzone. Their defense is so good their opponent is rarely in the redzone. End result is I'm lucky (or unlucky depending on your view) to see 10 minutes of one of their games.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #173
rowech
Pro Starter

This is a really long week 10 this season.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #174
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Blaine Gabbert is looking surprisingly good against the Seahawks. I can't believe I typed that.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #175
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Ohio State's?

Well played.. lol
Old 11-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #176
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I have redzone and as a Rams fan I have to say it is almost useless. Their offense is so putrid they're never in the redzone. Their defense is so good their opponent is rarely in the redzone. End result is I'm lucky (or unlucky depending on your view) to see 10 minutes of one of their games.

Turnovers killed us today.. but I think we need to stick with Foles. But yeah.. not much on RZ for the Rams.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #177
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I don't just direct this to you but to everyone. When exactly was the ESPN heyday? I can remember the days of George Grande and Tom Mees and people have been bitching about ESPN for most of that time.

I feel like the late 80's to mid 90's were the best time in my memory. Sportscenter had highlights, tons of them. They still showed stuff like swamp buggy racing. I feel like I remember a time when they showed putt putt golf. I enjoyed the variety, the fact that they weren't spending their whole day spouting the same bullshit from different mouths about the latest controversy or the latest big story. Now it's all just a bunch of the same thing in slightly different packages.

I know I am probably in the minority and the masses probably eat that stupid stuff up, but I used to leave it on ESPN all day unless MST3K was on comedy central.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #178
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I think that it was right around the end of the 90's that ESPN jumped the shark. It definitely happened while I was in college.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #179
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This is starting to look like a bad Bengals second half. Penalties, blown assignments, high throws.

edit: Here come the prime time Bengals.

Last edited by JPhillips : 11-22-2015 at 09:25 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #180
Butter
Coordinator

42-14 Cardinals final score?
Old 11-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #181
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think it's time to move on from football season. The Bengals just show nothing to make me think they'll be any different than years past.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #182
Butter
Coordinator

The Bengals will lose this game, but Good Lord the Cardinals corners are whining after every pass to the wide outs for an offensive pass interference flag.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #183
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Remember that Arizona is really, really good.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:30 PM   #184
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I feel like I remember a time when they showed putt putt golf.

You remember correctly.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #185
rowech
Pro Starter

One of the most clearly biased officiated games I've ever seen. Right from the start and they finished it off with some bullshit call as well.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:50 PM   #186
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

It was a good game, the Bengals showed their resolve and played their asses off, but there isn't much you can do to stop Palmer when he is making good throws. He was outstanding through the 3rd quarter. Really liked what I saw from Dalton, really wished they had just tried to convert the 3rd and short there instead of going for it all on that play. Left too much time on the clock.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:59 PM   #187
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, I thought they would hand to Bernard and either get the first down or run the clock down to about twenty seconds and try the FG. I didn't like that call.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:02 PM   #188
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Yeah, I thought they would hand to Bernard and either get the first down or run the clock down to about twenty seconds and try the FG. I didn't like that call.

That's what a real coach would have done. I just don't understand Marvin Lewis at all. He coaches so haphazardly as if nothing bad can happen or if the other team will always play it like he hopes they will.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:16 AM   #189
PilotMan
Head Coach

Just dropping in to make sure everyone knows that the Bengals lost. That's all.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #190
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

I second that what a win for my beloved Cards especially with how badly Carson looked in the first quarter-those INT's were very bad-receivers never had a chance of catching them. But he settled down after that, and showed that speed kills-might have the two faster WR's in the league and they embrace that. Chris Johnson used to be the fastest RB too. I saw Patrick Peterson was injured in the game-ankle-didn't look too bad, but if he's out for any length of time, the Bengals showed what will happen.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #191
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Fun to watch an athlete that doesn't know when to let go.

Peyton Manning is absolutely determined to get healthy and to play | ProFootballTalk
Old 11-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #192
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
That's what a real coach would have done. I just don't understand Marvin Lewis at all. He coaches so haphazardly as if nothing bad can happen or if the other team will always play it like he hopes they will.

From everything I read, that was Andy Dalton's decision at the line of scrimmage. The play called in the huddle was either a run or pass based on the defense.

Last edited by henry296 : 11-23-2015 at 09:58 AM.
henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #193
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Crazy season for the Chiefs. Started 1-5, have won four straight. Through the first nine games, they have the toughest schedule in the NFL, yet managed a 4-5 record. In the last seven games (including yesterday's game), they have the easiest schedule in the NFL. Couple that with the fact that a Buffalo loss tonight would put them in control of their own destiny, and I'm starting to get a bit excited.

Whether the Chiefs make the playoffs or not, the Charles injury has allowed them to find a couple of gems on the depth chart at the RB position. I think they're also less predictable without Charles in the backfield. Still want him back in the lineup though.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #194
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Whether the Chiefs make the playoffs or not, the Charles injury has allowed them to find a couple of gems on the depth chart at the RB position. I think they're also less predictable without Charles in the backfield. Still want him back in the lineup though.

Football is weird. When Charles went down, Robert Mayes on the Grantland podcast went over some numbers that showed that Charles, when healthy, put up some of the best RB numbers of all time on a per-carry basis. He was, by any measure, the most talented player on the Chiefs' offense.

And the team does not miss a beat without him.

What other sport can you lose one of the best players on the team to injury and not have it affect whether you win games?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #195
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
What other sport can you lose one of the best players on the team to injury and not have it affect whether you win games?

Barcelona's done pretty well without Messi this season.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:45 AM   #196
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Finding it hard to see what any of the Bengal fans have done on here to get taunted for. The group on here is fairly doom and gloom and respectful as far as I've seen. If you would like to taunt the actual asshole Bengal fans, there are plenty of message boards they hang out on that you can frequent.

Or if this makes you feel good or superior, feel free to keep it up. Whatever works for you, I guess.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #197
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Barcelona's done pretty well without Messi this season.
I think Neymar and Suarez have a lot to do with their success too Not to mention Real and Barcelona have salaries in the 200 mil range while no other team is over 80. Messi going out is akin to Ohio State when it lost it's QB last year. They have such an advantage at every position over most competitors, one player will rairly completely derail their season.

That's a lot tougher to do in a league with a hard salary cap. KC has been pretty impressive this season - esp given their entire offense was built around Charles.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #198
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The AFC South now has as many wins as the NFC East
Old 11-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #199
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm thinking the AFC South might actually be a bit underrated.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #200
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm not out on Chip Kelly yet. I think he's moving in the right direction, but he has to get a franchise QB, and Bradford isn't it.