Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2006, 02:26 AM   #151
SackAttack
Head Coach

Couple of things on this end.

1) It would probably be better to have the player names on the 'game view' screen listed under the goal they're defending for that period, rather than under the team name. The theory is, you'd recognize your own player names much more readily, and would be less likely to be confused about which color is which team.

2) Now *that's* chippy. 94 penalty minutes in a game in which 71 of them came in the first quarter? Somebody had to have called somebody else's mother a terrorist whore or something, that's insane.

Last edited by SackAttack : 09-25-2006 at 02:27 AM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:22 AM   #152
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Just downloaded the game and installed. I think I may buy this, although just looking at it real quick I think I will be as lost as I was with FM (CM then) at first.

I think part of what has me hooked is being able to take over the Spokane Chiefs (former hometown team) or the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees (current hometown team).

One thing though, why are their arena's not the real names? Rio Grande Valley plays in the Dodge Arena, is the sponsor's name the problem? Also, they do not play in McAllen technically. The arena is in Hidalgo, TX. Not a big deal, I was just wondering if there was a specific reason why the arena names aren't in there?
Old 09-25-2006, 06:20 AM   #153
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
2) Now *that's* chippy. 94 penalty minutes in a game in which 71 of them came in the first quarter?

whoohoo everybody laugh at the noob!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:24 AM   #154
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
One thing though, why are their arena's not the real names? Rio Grande Valley plays in the Dodge Arena, is the sponsor's name the problem? Also, they do not play in McAllen technically. The arena is in Hidalgo, TX. Not a big deal, I was just wondering if there was a specific reason why the arena names aren't in there?

licensing rights, I'd assume. I wish we could fix those names. In fact, I wish a lot of the dat files were user-editable.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:26 AM   #155
JeffR
High School JV

Yup, it's the arena sponsor names. League licenses don't cover them. There's also a little translation problem that forces the use of "ice hall", which is a strictly European term, as one of the replacement names, so that looks a little funny for North American teams.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #156
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I had a very frustrating moment trying to learn the interface Friday night. I think I was in the Assign Scout screen at the time, and as usual, I started looking around at different areas of the game from there and all of a sudden found myself "trapped" - I could not get back to the main GM screen, most of the drop-down choices were greyed out, and I couldn't even exit the damn game. After 10-15 minutes of visiting pretty much every available screen in the game, I started clicking the arrows at the top and discovered that I had to go all the way back to the original Scout screen and hit "OK" or "Cancel" at the bottom left to be able to get back to the main GM screen and do anything else.

That was horribly frustrating and, without any guidance or explanation from within the game as to what I needed to do, seems like a poor design. At least a pop-up "Confirm all changes" or something like that would alert me that there was only one way to leave that screen. Without it, I just wandered aimlessly and helplessly trying to get back to the GM screen. But there were enough screens available that I didn't really know what was wrong until it was too late.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-25-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #157
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I had a very frustrating moment trying to learn the interface Friday night. I think I was in the Assign Scout screen at the time, and as usual, I started looking around at different areas of the game from there and all of a sudden found myself "trapped" - I could not get back to the main GM screen, most of the drop-down choices were greyed out, and I couldn't even exit the damn game. After 10-15 minutes of visiting pretty much every available screen in the game, I started clicking the arrows at the top and discovered that I had to go all the way back to the original Scout screen and hit "OK" or "Cancel" at the bottom left to be able to get back to the main GM screen and do anything else.

That was horribly frustrating and, without any guidance or explanation from within the game as to what I needed to do, seems like a poor design. At least a pop-up "Confirm all changes" or something like that would alert me that there was only one way to leave that screen. Without it, I just wandered aimlessly and helplessly trying to get back to the GM screen. But there were enough screens available that I didn't really know what was wrong until it was too late.

I liked EHM 05, but pretty much sums up my thoughts on the interface in '05. I've been reading it's a bit better, but after reading this I'm glad I didn't give in this time around. It's just too confusing on where to go.. and ootp is sometimes like this as well, although not as bad. I know many love SI's interface, but I just seem to have problems navigating for some reason.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-25-2006 at 10:06 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:29 PM   #158
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
whoohoo everybody laugh at the noob!

Goddammit, I'm not a newb.

My fingers just get ahead of my brain far too often and the last week or so I haven't been catching it.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #159
Galaril
Pro Starter

I heard a patch might be coming out today.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:42 PM   #160
mooreadamc
Mascot

A patch was just released. Starting a game tonight
mooreadamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #161
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm glad to see that there's a patch out already. Riz says on the SI forums that there were some changes to the 2D engine, so even though the changelist doesn't seem to note that, it's true.

I am looking forward to my Friday spending spree (EHM, NBA 2K7, and who knows what else?).
Old 09-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #162
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
licensing rights, I'd assume. I wish we could fix those names. In fact, I wish a lot of the dat files were user-editable.

All this will be fixed when the unofficial unfaking update comes out...
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #163
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

good luck on downloading the patch. I think SI is using my grandmother's eMachine to host their website.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:16 PM   #164
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooreadamc View Post
A patch was just released. Starting a game tonight

Old saved games can be used with the new patch...
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #165
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian View Post
All this will be fixed when the unofficial unfaking update comes out...

Any idea on how long it will be before that happens?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:27 PM   #166
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Any idea on how long it will be before that happens?

It usually takes a month, I think, since they need to make the editor first... then start with changing the data.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #167
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
good luck on downloading the patch. I think SI is using my grandmother's eMachine to host their website.

I got it off the rapidshare link in less than 5 minutes. Now the official SI server was as slow as ever.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:41 PM   #168
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian View Post
It usually takes a month, I think, since they need to make the editor first... then start with changing the data.

The sad thing with the unfaking patch and EHM, if it's the same with 2007 as it was with 2005, is that you have to start a new game for it to take effect...

This is sad as opposed to the "fake" files of FM that have an immediate effect in game, no need to restart...

FM
Old 09-25-2006, 02:56 PM   #169
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
The sad thing with the unfaking patch and EHM, if it's the same with 2007 as it was with 2005, is that you have to start a new game for it to take effect...

This is sad as opposed to the "fake" files of FM that have an immediate effect in game, no need to restart...

FM

perfect. I usually get fired from my first career around the time the unfake patch comes out.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #170
Galaril
Pro Starter

Well two things I have noticed. The 2d view has tons of passing by teams in front of there own nets and too many penalties. I had agame with 89 penalty minutes which is what evryone else is reporting. this is leading to too many injuries b/c of all the banging by defensemen on penalties. And after turning down aggression to minimal I saw these outrageous penalty minutes.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #171
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

the 89 minute penalty game, check to see if there were any (or several) game misconducts.. they're 20 minutes each
Old 09-25-2006, 05:12 PM   #172
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
the 89 minute penalty game, check to see if there were any (or several) game misconducts.. they're 20 minutes each

I am not sure about that but in any case does this happen often or at all in hockey? What is average for a NHL game?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:44 PM   #173
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Game Misconducts happen.. well.. not regulaly, but they're not rare.

Things that cause a game misconduct

1) Third Man In rule on a fight
2) High Stick that causes bleeding
3) arguing with the ref

there's others..
Old 09-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #174
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

10 minutes, soccerboy
Old 09-25-2006, 06:17 PM   #175
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Funny, I thought I saw a game misconduct and the penalty minutes thing went up by 20. I'll have to wait till it happens again

And as regards the Soccerboy comment.. Don't make me drive up there
Old 09-25-2006, 06:17 PM   #176
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Funny, I thought I saw a game misconduct and the penalty minutes thing went up by 20. I'll have to wait till it happens again

And as regards the Soccerboy comment.. Don't make me drive up there

there's lots of trees...
Old 09-25-2006, 06:33 PM   #177
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
there's lots of trees...

*sighs and shakes my head*

Was actually up in NH late last fall, checking out a classic arcade up there
Old 09-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #178
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

How do you offer players to gauge interest?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:02 PM   #179
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
How do you offer players to gauge interest?

-approach a random team to trade (quickest way is the trade icon on your GM screen).
-add your player to the trade
-choose the "offer to all" option on the lower left. you'll get emails immediately.

unfortunately, at least in my experiences, all the offers will be complete crap. Teams will just offer combinations of players they don't want anyway. And you have to go in and respond to each one to turn the trade down before you can advance to the next day. It ends up being more work than it's worth. It probably would just be easier to get a list of teams that might be interested, and how interested they may be and then let you build offers from there.

Trading is tough. In 2k5 it was too easy, but that's been tightened up considerably. Maybe too tight, but I'd rather have it too hard than too easy to trade.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 09-25-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:13 PM   #180
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

a few thoughts...

-the new 2D game interface is really nice...but I really don't like that the results bar is at the very bottom of the screen. Makes it really hard to follow. Also, the text has a tendancy to fly by so quickly, you miss who did what (goals, penalties) and have to jump to the boxscore.

-why on earth is the waiver wire hidden in the world menu?

-what happend to the "see also" options, which allowed you to jump easily to your farm team? am I just missing them?

-stats. I didn't understand this in 2k5, and I don't understand it in 2k7. Each player has a vast number of stats available in their history. And yet, very few of those are available on the statistics menu. Why keep all these awesome stats and then bury them so that they are barely useful? That this wasn't improved is a huge disappointment to me.

-the customizable GM screen: it took me a while to get used to this...but it's simply genius. I love it.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #181
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

oh wait, one more...

I would LOVE to see an x-factor option a la FOF that would allow the ratings to fluctuate subtly each time you start a new game. Maybe not as severe as FOF's, but it would still be great. Might also simmer down all the eggheads bitching about the ratings of their favorite players. ok, that won't happen. but still.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 09-25-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:41 PM   #182
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

-what happend to the "see also" options, which allowed you to jump easily to your farm team? am I just missing them?

It is only available on the team roster screen. Three small arrows on the top left corner by the team name. Left and right cycle through the teams in your league, while the down arrow brings up a drop down menu like last year.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #183
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
a few thoughts...

-the new 2D game interface is really nice...but I really don't like that the results bar is at the very bottom of the screen. Makes it really hard to follow. Also, the text has a tendancy to fly by so quickly, you miss who did what (goals, penalties) and have to jump to the boxscore.

Agreed, really needs to be just below the ice. It was brought up at the end of a thread at SI today where Graeme was talking about possible changes. Last I checked Graeme hadn't been back to respond.

Quote:
-why on earth is the waiver wire hidden in the world menu?

There's also a waiver link on the left side of your front office screen. IIRC near the bottom.

Quote:

On the top of your roster screen, in the title bar, are three very small tick buttons (left, right, and down). Hard to see since they are the same color as the banner.

Last edited by Sweed : 09-25-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #184
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Foz, two things:

1) 96 minutes, not 89. I forgot that it wasn't a 47-47 split, but 49-47. So officially, 96 penalty minutes.

2) I know already that Donald Brashear got thrown out of the game and the Panthers assessed a 10 minute misconduct penalty (I think he actually started three fights in that wild first period). He was the only one hit with a misconduct. The rest were all five-minutes for fighting, double-minors for high sticking and the like, and regular two-minute minors.

Brashear ended up with 32 of the game's 96 penalty minutes. Dude had a chip on his shoulder, for sure.

Brashear actually got suspended for 9 games, and I'd already been trying to get rid of him for sucking in camp, so that was a quick ticket for him to the AHL.

I do remember setting one player to be encouraged to fight (since the game said doing that would minimize other guys getting in trouble). I wonder if it might have been Brashear. Either 'encourage' is too encouraging, or the dude just snapped from that stick he took to the head several years ago.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:57 PM   #185
King of New York
High School Varsity

Okay, there is something seriously wrong with the penalty minutes in this game right now.

I just finished up a QJMHL game between me (St. John's Fog Devils) and Moncton. My team, which is basically the team I inherited (I did not go out and add goons), has aggressiveness set to normal, my head coach has a discipline rating of 12.

Power plays: Moncton: 2/30 St. John's 0/1
Penalty minutes: St. John's: 78 Moncton:4

That's right, a team had 30 separate power play opportunities in a single game. This game was extreme. but not quite a fluke; in most every game. teams are routinely getting double-digit power play opportunities.

A few more games like this one, and 2007 is going on the shelf for a long time.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:00 PM   #186
Galaril
Pro Starter

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
Okay, there is something seriously wrong with the penalty minutes in this game right now.

I just finished up a QJMHL game between me (St. John's Fog Devils) and Moncton. My team, which is basically the team I inherited (I did not go out and add goons), has aggressiveness set to normal, my head coach has a discipline rating of 12.

That's right, a team had 30 separate power play opportunities in a single game. This game was extreme. but not quite a fluke; in most every game. teams are routinely getting double-digit power play opportunities.

Damn, not good, not good at all.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #187
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post

FWIW, in real life when I head down to Mile One to watch a game it seems like the team is more interested in being tough then it is with scoring goals, at least that's what it was like last season.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:33 PM   #188
scooter
High School Varsity

I'm not sure what's wrong with the penalty minutes, but I do know that IRL penalty minutes and power play opportunities are way up in the WHL. I follow the Everett Silvertips pretty closely and they have been having a bear of a time with the new crackdown on clutching and grabbing (the same thing that the NHLers were having problems with last year). To back it up with some numbers, here are their first two games of the season:

Game 1: Everett 20 pen min (10 times shorthanded), Chilliwack 20 pen min (10 times shorthanded)

Game 2: Everett 26 pen min (13 times shorthanded), Kamloops 18 pen min (9 times shorthanded)

While I realize that that doesn't quite compare to what you are seeing in your game, the fact is that penalty minutes are up (in major juniors anyway). So keep that in mind as you try to decide how out-of-whack the game is.

P.S. - As I keep looking at the WHL page, Spokane played Kootenay on Sat: Spokane was 3/13 on the power play and Kootenay was 3/16!
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:30 AM   #189
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

there's talk on the SI forums that the new patch introduces a new bug that substantially increases the injury rate. I think I'll hold off for now.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:41 AM   #190
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
there's talk on the SI forums that the new patch introduces a new bug that substantially increases the injury rate. I think I'll hold off for now.

Are they calling this the "Peter Forsberg Bug"?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:12 AM   #191
Fouts
College Starter

I'm not understanding the way points are calculated in the standings. After 32 games, my CHL team has 14 W, 8 L, 7 O/SW, 3 O/SL, but the total shows 30 points. I thought it was 2 points per win, 2 points per O/SW, and 1 point per O/SL, which would be 45 points. Am I missing something?
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:35 AM   #192
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I'm not sure what's wrong with the penalty minutes, but I do know that IRL penalty minutes and power play opportunities are way up in the WHL. I follow the Everett Silvertips pretty closely and they have been having a bear of a time with the new crackdown on clutching and grabbing (the same thing that the NHLers were having problems with last year). To back it up with some numbers, here are their first two games of the season:

Game 1: Everett 20 pen min (10 times shorthanded), Chilliwack 20 pen min (10 times shorthanded)

Game 2: Everett 26 pen min (13 times shorthanded), Kamloops 18 pen min (9 times shorthanded)

While I realize that that doesn't quite compare to what you are seeing in your game, the fact is that penalty minutes are up (in major juniors anyway). So keep that in mind as you try to decide how out-of-whack the game is.

P.S. - As I keep looking at the WHL page, Spokane played Kootenay on Sat: Spokane was 3/13 on the power play and Kootenay was 3/16!

Yeah, I guess that the double-digit power-play opportunities are basically in line with what is happening in the CHL--but I'm still ticked off about the opposition getting 30 power play opportunities in single game
Old 09-26-2006, 08:36 AM   #193
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
I'm not understanding the way points are calculated in the standings. After 32 games, my CHL team has 14 W, 8 L, 7 O/SW, 3 O/SL, but the total shows 30 points. I thought it was 2 points per win, 2 points per O/SW, and 1 point per O/SL, which would be 45 points. Am I missing something?

This is a known bug in the CHL and has been fixed for the next patch.

Also, the PIM issue and a injury problem are also being fixed or have been fixed....I hope this patch is put out soon as these are the only game killers
I see from making this my replacement for FM06.
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #194
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
oh wait, one more...

I would LOVE to see an x-factor option a la FOF that would allow the ratings to fluctuate subtly each time you start a new game. Maybe not as severe as FOF's, but it would still be great. Might also simmer down all the eggheads bitching about the ratings of their favorite players. ok, that won't happen. but still.

This exists in EHM & FM to a certain extent but only for players marked as unknown ability/potential - these are randomised (or in the case of potential can be set to a random number between certain values)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:21 AM   #195
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
This exists in EHM & FM to a certain extent but only for players marked as unknown ability/potential - these are randomised (or in the case of potential can be set to a random number between certain values)

interesting. I've never noticed it - it always seems the same guys perform the same each time you start a new career.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #196
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Updated Patch out addressing the injury and penalty issue over at SI site.
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #197
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea-Arthurs Hip View Post
Updated Patch out addressing the injury and penalty issue over at SI site.

Now that's what I like: I raise an issue, and within 24 hours I get a patch! Excellent news!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #198
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow. SI is really working to mend past ills from the OOTP disaster. Very impressive and looks like I will be making a purchase for this one.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #199
King of New York
High School Varsity

Yeah, while the game engine needs a bit more polishing, I would recommed this for purchase. The improvements made to tactics, scouting, and trading are very impressive.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:27 PM   #200
Hurst2112
College Starter

WTF is this???

New minor update available

We've detected that a newer build is available from the Sports Interactive website.

However, we are unable to find the download in our database currently. Please try later!

Is there a 2nd update that is out there?

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 09-26-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote